PDA

View Full Version : Denver is actually better now

JayW_1023
02-23-2011, 07:50 AM
I firmly believe that the Denver has improved and stole the Melo deal by a large margin. The difference is JR Smith will get alot of Melo's shots.

And you can bet on it that Nene will get more touches too. And he is shooting 63% from the field.

A starting line-up of Felton, Smith, Gallo, Martin and Nene is pretty solid. Then you have Lawson, Afflalo, Chandler, Harrington and Mosgov odd the bench.

That's five men deep people. Add up to it that the distraction is finally gone. With Lawson and Felton pushing the ball they are an even better transition team now.

Look for Smith and Nene's numbers to go up. Plus the fact that they have two solid post defenders in Nene and K-Mart, along with Afflalo on the perimeter...and you have a pretty complete team here.

Tdotraptors
02-23-2011, 08:11 AM
you forgot about birdman... this team is really deep now but they lack star power

eBayGEEK
02-23-2011, 08:13 AM
star power ? The only 25 teams also lack star power. Its okay, they have a sick squad in 4 new picks they will young in talents in no time.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Agreed, Melo is so overrated.

aussie
02-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Lawson is starting over Felton
Smith will still be 6th man
Gallo is likely to be traded, meaning Chandler will start

Lawson
Afflalo
Chandler
Martin
Nene

tangent12
02-23-2011, 08:56 AM
They'll be fine, no doubt about that.

Philly 4 Life
02-23-2011, 08:57 AM
I was actually thinking the same thing this morning, i guarenttee u denver will be back on upper half of the playoff picture in the west in 2-4 years...lawson has been under chaunceys wing for a yr nd half nd its his time to shine, and i honestly believe its his team now...jr is awesome, wilson chandler (assuming gal gets traded) is good with so much upside, if they can resign nene dats a plus, birdman is still good dn brings so much life off the bench, and kenyon is good as well...i mean if u look at the bench right now; ur top 3 guys off the bench that i can think of cuz i dnt follow the team like that are felton, smith, and birdman, if gal doesnt go den u still have gal or chandler off the bench

AIRMAR72
02-23-2011, 08:58 AM
yup they should play better since theres no more melo to stagnate da offense and burn out da shot clock and with 2 penetrating PG for now there be more open shots for the starters and reserve players great trade for da nuggets

Philly 4 Life
02-23-2011, 09:00 AM
also i think they should draft a PF in this yrs draft or a center but preferably a PF to give lawson a big man for years to come, kinda wish he coulda had favors that woulda been a nice little combo but we will see how it goes for them...love watchin denver so exciting to watch...i jus hope my sixers keep playing well and get some players in the summer, and hope turner turns out as good as we hope in philly

icej
02-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Lawson is starting over Felton
Smith will still be 6th man
Gallo is likely to be traded, meaning Chandler will start

Lawson
Afflalo
Chandler
Martin
Nene

Reverse, actually the Denver already stated that Galo is the one to be retained. -- This is understandable because Chandler is a much better trade chip and is due for a big buck contact next year.

And yes, I agree with the consensus - Denver actually got the better end of the deal.

The 1M dollar question really is-- if Melo is really that good as projected, why does denver never gotten very far with him? - Considering denver is one of the deepest team in his time and ample support inside and out.

Remember they (denver with melo)are not even a playoff team before Billups arrived.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves here coz Jr Smith and Nene are not enough to take the load and the good news is they don't have to.

Galo+Felton+Chandler already is make 49.7 Ppg per while

Billups+ Melo only make 42. something Ppg so clearly they have an advantage if they make proper use of the 3 players.

And if either Galo or Chandler can fill up the void in the SF position, well then this team should be set to upset teams in the playoff. I believe they are the dark horse of the playoffs.

dynasty7961
02-23-2011, 09:47 AM
I feel 100% the same way with Denver being better now

Hellcrooner
02-23-2011, 09:49 AM
wishfull thinking.
yOu know bout star calls?
It becomes even worse in teh playoffs.
They lack that star to benefit from those b.s calls.
So no "dark horse".
They should keep Gallinari and not chandler and give the dude the leadership of the team.
He can be a Dirk/pau or at least a Bargnani.

aussie
02-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Nuggets also got Kosta Koufos in the deal

Team*Chicago
02-23-2011, 09:55 AM
By the looks of it the Nuggets did look like they gotton better with Carmelo gone while they helped the Knicks dismantle half their team in that trade. The Nuggets got rid of their garbadge players for the Knicks top scorers and the Nuggets don't have to look like the dumb -ss Cavaliers and Raptors this upcoming summer.

Slimsim
02-23-2011, 10:04 AM
From 1 emotional game ?

Rentzias
02-23-2011, 10:06 AM
The 1M dollar question really is-- if Melo is really that good as projected, why does denver never gotten very far with him? - Considering denver is one of the deepest team in his time and ample support inside and out.

Remember they (denver with melo)are not even a playoff team before Billups arrived..

Actually, Nuggets missed the playoffs eight straight years until Melo came to town, then made the playoffs seven straight years. They were a couple of crappy inbound passes away from an NBA finals. They blew it by losing to the Clippers in the first round, then otherwise ran into a couple of buzzsaws called the San Antonio Spurs and the Lakers. Then last year's debacle, I highly attribute to Sloan severely outcoaching Adrian Dantley.

Ollie Tabooger
02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
They're kind of like the Bucks with all that depth but no star power. Jennings is not a star. Let's see if they can play together better than Milwaukee.

knicksfan42
02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
They aren't better. Are Gallo and Wilson Chandler better than Melo? No. Is Felton better than Billups? No (he was at the beginning of the season though imo), everyone outside of the Knicks forum was saying Billups was better than Felton. Is Mozgov better than Sheldon Williams? No, maybe a wash.

miller74
02-23-2011, 10:20 AM
I feel 100% the same way with Denver being better now

Bettman is as tall as Chara, weird

NYY 26 to 7
02-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Wow really people are saying this after one game vs the Grizz? They will not make the playoffs for sure. Lottery pick team now. The future doen't look so awful because they have picks and a couple good pieces but this talk is just insane.

king4day
02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I still think NY got taken advantage of in this deal but Denver is not better right now. That's like saying Houston is better without Yao.

Also, I'm surprised they're looking to deal chandler. I thought he was going to be their new go-to scorer. Wonder who it'll be without him.

blastmasta26
02-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Nuggets did a great job in that trade, but I don't think they're better at all. They have more depth and more trade assets and can look to get the lower seeds in the playoffs in a year or two. But star power makes a difference for sure. I don't know if JR Smith is reliable as someone with an increased role also.

BuffsFan
02-23-2011, 10:28 AM
I think the Nuggets got as good a package as they could have hoped for but they are in no way better. They are now the Houston Rockets. Decent team with a bunch of young complimentary players and no star to build around. I have watched the nugs for years and they are in for a world of hurt if they are going to build their team around Nene and or JR.

THE MTL
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
I firmly believe that the Denver has improved and stole the Melo deal by a large margin. The difference is JR Smith will get alot of Melo's shots.

And you can bet on it that Nene will get more touches too. And he is shooting 63% from the field.

A starting line-up of Felton, Smith, Gallo, Martin and Nene is pretty solid. Then you have Lawson, Afflalo, Chandler, Harrington and Mosgov odd the bench.

That's five men deep people. Add up to it that the distraction is finally gone. With Lawson and Felton pushing the ball they are an even better transition team now.

Look for Smith and Nene's numbers to go up. Plus the fact that they have two solid post defenders in Nene and K-Mart, along with Afflalo on the perimeter...and you have a pretty complete team here.

JR Smith getting more shots is NOT A GOOD THING! You must havent seen his shooting percentages.

Nene shot 63% largely cause the defenses were focused on THE BEST PURE SCORER in the NBA. Now, he will be getting more attention on defense.

Knickfansince97
02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
yea denvers going to be pretty solid people say they are going to fall out of the playoffs but i dont think so. Knicks were very high on chandler and gallo so look for them to get better and denver already had a pretty decent team.

BallIsAll
02-23-2011, 10:37 AM
denver is a hell of a lot better quote me on that.

Cub_StuckinSTL
02-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I still think NY got taken advantage of in this deal but Denver is not better right now. That's like saying Houston is better without Yao.

Also, I'm surprised they're looking to deal chandler. I thought he was going to be their new go-to scorer. Wonder who it'll be without him.

Exactly what I was thinking. I dont feel like NY is a better team with melo. His game and Amare's dont mix and theres going to be NO defense. This trade didn't put them over the top this year. That being said it was obvious that he was going to go there no matter what after this year since he wouldn't sign a deal with the Nets. They should have just waited for him to be a FA and saved everything they traded. Not to mention theres a good chance with the new CBA that its going to be damn tough for them to bring in another star to play there.

BallIsAll
02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
JR Smith getting more shots is NOT A GOOD THING! You must havent seen his shooting percentages.

Nene shot 63% largely cause the defenses were focused on THE BEST PURE SCORER in the NBA. Now, he will be getting more attention on defense.

dude smith could score his percentages were down because he chucked up 4-6 shots at the the end of the shot clock, did you watch the game? he went 9 for 22 not a bad way to get 26 points when your the center of the offense. nene showed yesterday he could score through double teams and on centers imagine when we move him to power forward he went 5 for 10. melo isnt the nuggets i hate it when people act like hes god. hes a hell of a scorer but plays no defense and messes up the flow on offense and i could say that about billups at times too.

imagesrdecievin
02-23-2011, 10:47 AM
What I like for Denver going forward is that they will actually move on offense now. Melo is a great pure scorer - but it''s all iso's. There was way too much talent on that team to just be standing around stagnant watching Melo.

blastmasta26
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. I dont feel like NY is a better team with melo. His game and Amare's dont mix and theres going to be NO defense. This trade didn't put them over the top this year. That being said it was obvious that he was going to go there no matter what after this year since he wouldn't sign a deal with the Nets. They should have just waited for him to be a FA and saved everything they traded. Not to mention theres a good chance with the new CBA that its going to be damn tough for them to bring in another star to play there.
Melo was gonna sign that extension regardless. You mention the CBA, but neglect to mention the fact that the salary drop that could happen would lose Melo a lot of money. He was not gonna last till FA. It's not a good trade, but it had to be done if the Knicks truly wanted Melo.

ackar
02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Will they defend and who is taking the last shot?

BallIsAll
02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Will they defend and who is taking the last shot?

yea im sure GK will implement more team defense now that we have better defensive players and my guess would be one of these guys in this order.

smith
gallo
afflalo
chandler

blastmasta26
02-23-2011, 11:15 AM
yea im sure GK will implement more team defense now that we have better defensive players and my guess would be one of these guys in this order.

smith
gallo
afflalo
chandler
Most likely Smith. Gallo has never really taken a gamewinning attempt, neither has Chandler.

BallIsAll
02-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Most likely Smith. Gallo has never really taken a gamewinning attempt, neither has Chandler.

true that and smith is second to melo in hitting awkward shots... im sure gallo has taking big time shots tho not game winning but big time..

Mishmin
02-23-2011, 11:19 AM
What I don't get it the point guard spot. They love lawson, but Felton was close to an all-star this season.. Can you really bring him off the bench? Seems he would be a great trading chip.

The nuggets might not be better than before, but they sure have a hell of a lot of players now that will need minutes. It'll be interesting to see how those get distrubuted.

Madtown22
02-23-2011, 11:20 AM
like the line up. Not bad considering they just traded melo, I heard a rumor Clippers were considering trading MN's 2012 1st for Galo. I'd do that it could be a top 10

bahama0811
02-23-2011, 11:22 AM
wishfull thinking.
So no "dark horse".
They should keep Gallinari and not chandler and give the dude the leadership of the team.

I guess I'm missing something, when have the Nuggets ever gotten star calls. Melo never got a call. And just watching last night it seemed that Nene got a lot more calls than usual.

Mishmin
02-23-2011, 11:23 AM
like the line up. Not bad considering they just traded melo, I heard a rumor Clippers were considering trading MN's 2012 1st for Galo. I'd do that it could be a top 10

Could, be but Galo was also a top 10 pick, and we know already he's got a huge upside. I wouldn't do it.

Doogolas
02-23-2011, 11:25 AM
If Melo is so good then how the hell has he had such great role players around him for so long and never even won more than 53 games? I mean, c'mon. He's a good player, but he's not the superstar he's made out to be.

Doogolas
02-23-2011, 11:25 AM
I guess I'm missing something, when have the Nuggets ever gotten star calls. Melo never got a call. And just watching last night it seemed that Nene got a lot more calls than usual.

******** haha, Melo gets to the line 8+ times per game. That's getting the superstar treatment.

BRAVE KID
02-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Wow really people are saying this after one game vs the Grizz? They will not make the playoffs for sure. Lottery pick team now. The future doen't look so awful because they have picks and a couple good pieces but this talk is just insane.So let me get this straight...guys can't say that denver could be a better team after one game..but it's right for you to say that they "will not make the playoffs for sure" and are a "lottery pick team now" without even giving the team a chance to prove itself? Yea, that sounds about fair.

I think a lot of people are severely underestimating the talent the Nugs have. Yes, they did lose two stars in Big shot and melo..but it's not like they have nothing. Ty lawson, Affalo, J.R and Nene are pretty darn good talents. It's Ty lawson's time to shine now...he should be an exciting player to watch from here on out...and the Nuggets trust him running the point.

Granted, it is only one game..that was at home...but I haven't seen ball movment like that from the Nuggets in a long long time. If anything the Nuggets have given reason for people to watch them..so how they respond..as a team.

JordansBulls
02-23-2011, 11:26 AM

I think Denver becomes what the Bulls were in 2007. A lot of good players but no star. That year we had Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, PJ Brown, Ben Wallace and we beat Miami in round 1 who was the defending champions.

BallIsAll
02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
this should sum it up

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16845353#post16845353

nuggets = better.

blastmasta26
02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
true that and smith is second to melo in hitting awkward shots... im sure gallo has taking big time shots tho not game winning but big time..
Yeah he's a guy that will help you in close games with big 3s. And he gets to the line frequently, so that's also a plus.

Mishmin
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Seriously, someone tell me what will happen with this point guard situation in denver.

blastmasta26
02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Seriously, someone tell me what will happen with this point guard situation in denver.
They're probably gonna start Lawson for a little bit, and then Felton later. I don't know what their intentions are, but they should deal Felton in the offseason or next year since he's a good PG and will be an expiring.

BallIsAll
02-23-2011, 11:33 AM

start lawson and have felton back him up and most likely trade him this offseason for probably a draft pick or pf im guessing.

BRAVE KID
02-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Will they defend and who is taking the last shot?Excellent questions. Defending, as always, is a team effort..it is also contagious...if Ty lawson and Affalo are pushing the tempo and hustling (which they are doing the majority of the time) and K-mart shows his leadership and brings the defensive intensity..the Nugs will play defense...Nene and J.R will follow if those 3 get it going are amping up the tempo.

Karl is going to have to design it. We'll see how good a coach Karl is now with no superstar on the team...whoever gets the better look is going to take the last shot..imo.

Mishmin
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Lawson maybe a good prospect, but if they're serious about the playoffs, they should bring Felton to the starting spot. Lawson's used to being the energy off the bench guy and they should keep Felton's value high if they want to trade him later. Felton's a very good point guard.

BRAVE KID
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Lawson maybe a good prospect, but if they're serious about the playoffs, they should bring Felton to the starting spot. Lawson's used to being the energy off the bench guy and they should keep Felton's value high if they want to trade him later. Felton's a very good point guard.Lawson is used to just giving way to someone else (like Chauncey or Melo)..that's not where his value is. His value is him taking over games..that game changing speed, his ability to get other's involved (Chris anderson was able to get 15 points last night..all because of lawson..Anderson doesn't get double digit points). Denver should let lawson run the show...at least give him a chance to see how the team performs.

Thegame187
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Reverse, actually the Denver already stated that Galo is the one to be retained. -- This is understandable because Chandler is a much better trade chip and is due for a big buck contact next year.

And yes, I agree with the consensus - Denver actually got the better end of the deal.

Remember they (denver with melo)are not even a playoff team before Billups arrived.
But let's not get ahead of ourselves here coz Jr Smith and Nene are not enough to take the load and the good news is they don't have to.

Galo+Felton+Chandler already is make 49.7 Ppg per while

Billups+ Melo only make 42. something Ppg so clearly they have an advantage if they make proper use of the 3 players.

And if either Galo or Chandler can fill up the void in the SF position, well then this team should be set to upset teams in the playoff. I believe they are the dark horse of the playoffs.

I thought he took them to the playoffs every year he has been in the league? You mean Denver wasen't a playoff team without him - Stop sulking u sound like a cav

xabial
02-23-2011, 12:02 PM
wishfull thinking.
So no "dark horse".

Ewww..., i think he's at Bargnani's level now.

Gallinari was never really given a chance to lead the Knicks.

Go_NUGGETS
02-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Afflalo has been through the trial and error of game winning shots...He's missed most of the GW that he has attempted, but he has hit game winners aswell....I would feel more comfortable with Afflalo taking the last shot, than I would Smith at this point.

Gallo will also be someone to measure and see if he can be depended on to take the last shot...Probably not.

twoearl
02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
From 1 emotional game ?

Exactly. Denver will be the lottery by years end or end up getting swept in the first round of the playoffs...

If I was a Denver fan, I'd be rooting for the lottery.

CowboysKB24
02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Denver did not steal the deal. They did get the best possible trade for Melo. I think it worked well for both sides. Denver needs a Super Star, possibly two now that every elite team has two-three superstars. They are loaded with role players so they have ammo to make trades.

I am not buying the JR Smith and Nene statement. Their numbers will go up, but they won't evolve into elite players. Smith is inconsistent, but will have flashes of greatness. He is one of the best sixth man in the league. I don't think he can handle being the best player on a team, arguably.

ewing
02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Afflalo has been through the trial and error of game winning shots...He's missed most of the GW that he has attempted, but he has hit game winners aswell....I would feel more comfortable with Afflalo taking the last shot, than I would Smith at this point.

Gallo will also be someone to measure and see if he can be depended on to take the last shot...Probably not.

Gallo actually likes taking big shots. Its one of the things I really liked about him. That said he isn't a go to guy b/c he cant stare down the D and create his own but if Gallo can get himself a good look in crunch time he is usally money. He is apparently also very distrust about leaving NY (the guy was treated like a knig here) so we'll have to see how he responses

RaiderLakersA's
02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
If the Nuggets can establish a clear leader and go-to guy, they'll be fine. If not this year, then next.