PDA

View Full Version : should the league start deleting small market teams from the nba?

kikeyanez
02-23-2011, 02:50 AM
the direction these young nba stars are taking should the league start deleting small market teams from the nba? whats your opinion?

if the nba does start doin it ,the collage game will be better,no more over paided nba players,us fans will see great ball every night!
why would the nba game be better? the league can see a player grow in collage and have a better feel before they draft them
the nba draft would be too real risky for a young guy to make the jump! less teams less guaranteed contracts

i believe the nba should delete THE BOBCATS,CAVAS,BUCKS,KINGS,JAZZ & GRIZZLIES and move the horents to the bay area either san francisco or san jose and bring back the seattle super sonics!

before you fans go crazy here me out! the owners of the kings,grizzlies & jazz will hook up as co owners of the expansion team seattle. the grizzlies already have a fan base close by Vancouver,the jazz aint that far away and the same goes for the Sacramento kings plus the sonics fan base that still remain in seattle! by hooking up as co owners each former nba team can pick two players from there former roster to bring with them to seattle so? the jazz will take deron williams,paul milsap? the kings take evens and cousins & the grizzlies bring rudy gay and marc gasol? off the bat you have a starting line up

demarcus cousins
marc gasol
rudy gay
evens
daron williams

the remaining players under contract will go into a nba draft lottery! as for the bobcats,bucks & cavas they would hook up with the nba owned hornets in san francisco or san jose california and bring there top two players. the bucks bring andrew bogut,brandon jennings,hornets chris paul and so on..you guys get the picture right?

by making a change like this one we the fans can see better basketball! less worthless players cashing in and caping teams for years! just a few thoughts i cooked up! what you guys think? less rebuilding,less worthless draft picks!

this how the league would look

eastern conferance western conferance
bulls lakers
heat clippers
magic spurs
knicks rockets
nets mavericks
celtics warriors
hawks suns
pistons blazers
76ers timberwovles
pacers thunder
wizards
raptors
expansion team hornets
expansion team sonics

Jewelz0376
02-23-2011, 02:53 AM
no...i would expain my reasoning.. but i'm too lazy

NBA_Starter
02-23-2011, 02:57 AM
no way, you going to get rid of the Spurs??

kikeyanez
02-23-2011, 03:04 AM
no small market teams with brand new stadiums get a pass and plus its texas! and if you guys are wondering yes the nba keeps the pacers!!! why stadium and they need a basketball team in the midwest

davids22
02-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Take 6 teams out? That's stupid. If contraction ever happened, it would be more then 6 teams. You could realistically put all the "superstars" or whatever you envision into a total of 16 teams, 8 in each conference.

And you're an idiot for not knowing the history behind certain franchises and why they wouldn't leave their city. The Bucks are one of the original NBA teams.

Evolution23
02-23-2011, 03:34 AM
no way and it will never ever happen. NBA is still a business and Stern is not going to lose billions of dollars just so a few teams can have the best players.

Mudvayne91
02-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Nuggets?

Mudvayne91
02-23-2011, 03:39 AM
and if you want to "delete" teams, they should take out a team or two out of California. Maybe a Golden State Warriors team....

pastrecedes
02-23-2011, 03:41 AM
horrible idea imo. if you lose the small market teams, there will be only the big market teams right? wrong! then out of the big market teams, theres going to be a couple of small market teams compared to the big ones. then people are going to want to get rid of those teams, and the cycle will continue until there are no teams but the celtics and lakers.

Albrecht Duerer
02-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Delete? Maybe its time to step away from the keyboard for a while.

Hellcrooner
02-23-2011, 03:49 AM
Take 6 teams out? That's stupid. If contraction ever happened, it would be more then 6 teams. You could realistically put all the "superstars" or whatever you envision into a total of 16 teams, 8 in each conference.

And you're an idiot for not knowing the history behind certain franchises and why they wouldn't leave their city. The Bucks are one of the original NBA teams.

Lol.

You call him out for not knowing nba history and then you go anc claim Bucks are an original nba team.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mudvayne91
02-23-2011, 04:15 AM
I didn't initially read the whole thing, but you want to add a team in SF with the Warriors in Oakland roughly 15 miles away? I usually try not to be rude, but this is one of the stupidest ideas.

*Silver&Black*
02-23-2011, 04:21 AM
Yeah, sure, while we are at it, just leave 4 teams, one for each region.

New York (biggest market in the East)
L.A. (biggest market in the West)
Chicago (biggest market of the region)
Atlanta (home of NBA studios, etc, and called the city of the South)

And of course I'm being sarcastic about 4 teams. I say NO to downsizing. lol. But could you imagine only 4 teams and how stacked they would be? Take all of the West teams to LA. East to NY. Midwest to Chi-town. South (including Texas) to ATL.

South team

CP3/ John Wall/ Kidd/ Tony Parker
Wade/ Manu/ Joe Johnson
Lebron/ Gay/ Wallace
Dirk/ Tim Duncan/ Josh Smith/ Bosh
Howard/ Al Horford

WatWoudJordanDo
02-23-2011, 04:28 AM
no small market teams with brand new stadiums get a pass and plus its texas! and if you guys are wondering yes the nba keeps the pacers!!! why stadium and they need a basketball team in the midwest

chicago say hi

Wade>You
02-23-2011, 05:08 AM
How bout moving every failing franchise to the successful markets?

joke

X12Celtics3
02-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Yeah, lets just get rid of every team in the league that isn't currently full of superstars! Obviously since they suck now they will never be relevant again... :rolleyes:

Hellcrooner
02-23-2011, 09:58 AM
One question.

Nfl never talks bout contracting they have 32 teams to nbas 30.

theyr rosters are 10 times BIGGER than nbas rosters sop they should have a "very thin talent pool" specially knowing that nfl feeds 98% of Americna players cause well the sport is played barely anywhere else in the world.

So why the **** do people feel nba should contract with 2 less teams 10 times smaller rosters and THE WHOLE world to get talent from?

As a matter of fact , there are 50 to 60 players out there in the world that Could be in the league , being better than MANY of the bench players, teh only reason they are not in nba is MOney ( if you aere having an important role in an european team you get paid twice or more than if you are having an 7th or 8th man position in nba).

Contracion is not a need AT ALL---

btw teams dont suck forever ( except the Clippers) or are succesfull forever ( except the Lakers) so its stupid and demagocic talkibg bout contracting the teams that are bad in a determinate moment in time.

The_905
02-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Delete?

king4day
02-23-2011, 10:14 AM
The problem isn't the amount of teams, it's that there are guaranteed contracts.

knickerbockerny
02-23-2011, 10:24 AM
How bout moving every failing franchise to the successful markets?

joke

Exactly! How about moving New Orleans to say... Las Vagas, or moving a team back to Seattle.

knickerbockerny
02-23-2011, 10:25 AM
The problem isn't the amount of teams, it's that there are guaranteed contracts.

That also! Another problem is the lottery system. I truly believe the worst team should get the number one pick, though that itself would be problematic.

imagesrdecievin
02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
hard cap.

JeffG20
02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Better idea, let's just vote on who we want to win. Works in college football!

jrm2054
02-23-2011, 11:33 AM
not delete teams move them to better places vegas, seattle, pittsburgh.

NYKSpiritBomb
02-23-2011, 11:42 AM
y'all people are so short sighted, the NBA will balance itself out in 5 years everyone should just stfu enjoy the amazing playoff battles that are going to occur in that time. :)

JordansBulls
02-23-2011, 11:43 AM
the direction these young nba stars are taking should the league start deleting small market teams from the nba? whats your opinion?

if the nba does start doin it ,the collage game will be better,no more over paided nba players,us fans will see great ball every night!
why would the nba game be better? the league can see a player grow in collage and have a better feel before they draft them
the nba draft would be too real risky for a young guy to make the jump! less teams less guaranteed contracts

i believe the nba should delete THE BOBCATS,CAVAS,BUCKS,KINGS,JAZZ & GRIZZLIES and move the horents to the bay area either san francisco or san jose and bring back the seattle super sonics!

before you fans go crazy here me out! the owners of the kings,grizzlies & jazz will hook up as co owners of the expansion team seattle. the grizzlies already have a fan base close by Vancouver,the jazz aint that far away and the same goes for the Sacramento kings plus the sonics fan base that still remain in seattle! by hooking up as co owners each former nba team can pick two players from there former roster to bring with them to seattle so? the jazz will take deron williams,paul milsap? the kings take evens and cousins & the grizzlies bring rudy gay and marc gasol? off the bat you have a starting line up

demarcus cousins
marc gasol
rudy gay
evens
daron williams

the remaining players under contract will go into a nba draft lottery! as for the bobcats,bucks & cavas they would hook up with the nba owned hornets in san francisco or san jose california and bring there top two players. the bucks bring andrew bogut,brandon jennings,hornets chris paul and so on..you guys get the picture right?

by making a change like this one we the fans can see better basketball! less worthless players cashing in and caping teams for years! just a few thoughts i cooked up! what you guys think? less rebuilding,less worthless draft picks!

bulls lakers
heat clippers
magic spurs
knicks rockets
nets mavericks
celtics warriors
hawks suns
pistons blazers
76ers timberwovles
pacers thunder
wizards
raptors
expansion team hornets
expansion team sonics

No because you lose a lot of fans, which means less revenue for the nba.

Team*Chicago
02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I say yes to get rid of the miami heat.

SteBO
02-23-2011, 11:45 AM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::pity::pity::pity:

JeffG20
02-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Exactly! How about moving New Orleans to say... Las Vagas, or moving a team back to Seattle.

There is no chance in hell Vegas will get a team especially after that ref came out admitting to fixing games

gotoHcarolina52
02-23-2011, 11:58 AM

LOL! he pooping in the pants

fadedmario
02-23-2011, 12:02 PM
insulting thread

CowboysKB24
02-23-2011, 12:24 PM
please

CostanzaNumba0
02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
it may be an option the league is hemhorraging money, 350 million this year alone,, the small market teams are like toxic debt

Dankster
02-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Good small market teams: Denver, Portland, Phoenix, New Orleans, Atlanta, Memphis and Utah

Small Market teams that are possible contenders: San Antonio, Dallas (in between small and large market,) OKC and Orlando.

So in a nutshell: NO!

Also, even if young stars want to go to the larger market teams, there will always be a cyclical influx of new young stars being developed from their rookie season. I'm sure if a franchise tag isn't approved in the next CBA, there will be a clause implemented for the teams which stars play for will be allowed to add an extra 2 yrs or a couple extra million per year to be able to keep the players long term with the teams they were drafted by.

CostanzaNumba0
02-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Good small market teams: Denver, Portland, Phoenix, New Orleans, Atlanta, Memphis and Utah

Small Market teams that are possible contenders: San Antonio, Dallas (in between small and large market,) OKC and Orlando.

So in a nutshell: NO!

Also, even if young stars want to go to the larger market teams, there will always be a cyclical influx of new young stars being developed from their rookie season. I'm sure if a franchise tag isn't approved in the next CBA, there will be a clause implemented for the teams which stars play for will be allowed to add an extra 2 yrs or a couple extra million per year to be able to keep the players long term with the teams they were drafted by.

talent level isnt neccessarily a deciding factor, the teams have to be economically viable, the nba is a business,, a lot of the small market teams contribute net losses to the league,

CTCUBBIES
02-23-2011, 12:35 PM
It seems to be the current crop of USA basketball guys that are all nut riding each other and wanting to play together, i.e. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Melo, Williams, Paul. To me it seems a breath of fresh air how guys like Rondo, Blake, Rose, Westbrook, Durant, Love, Curry, Aldridge etc don't cowtow to these guys at all and the older established guys don't seem to respect them as much. We will see what happens but hopefully this is a passing NBA trend.

Atticus Finch
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
There is no chance in hell Vegas will get a team especially after that ref came out admitting to fixing games

That and the fact that about 70,000 people have moved out of Nevada in the last year alone. Moving an NBA team to Vegas would be a disaster

Madtown22
02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
T-Wolves (Were COMMMEEENNNN)

mRc08
02-23-2011, 01:05 PM
this doesn't make any sense. If small market teams still turn a profit and can maintain a stadium to play in, they are not going to get deleted from the NBA to make for a more competitive leauge. Small market teams include places like miami, so would we just lottery wade bosh and lebron away. I get the idea you came up with, but really think it through before you post it.

*Silver&Black*
02-23-2011, 03:39 PM

I wouldn't say Atlanta is a small market.

ackar
02-23-2011, 03:47 PM
No!
1. NBA is looking to grow globally, contraction is not attractive to potential owners.
2. NBA actually brought the Hornets if they wanted contraction they would have let them fail. Look for the Hornets to be sold and even moved to a better basketball city.
3. NBA is very popular look for NBA sponsor European league within five years.
4. More teams mean more revenue for the league as a whole. TV rights etc.
5. A small market tea just has to be smart and it can work. Marketing plus a good product and make the tickets affordable.

There is way more reason to grow than to shrink.

p.s. Lebron wanted contraction because he needs less teams to win.. i kid sort of.

Arch Stanton
02-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Sure Miami is a small market team. Let's get rid of them.

AddiX
02-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Small market teams are becoming more like d league teams developing talent for cities where players actually want to play.

I agree something needs to be changed asap. 2 teams in the entire NBA can actually say they built through the draft successfully.

That's not a good thing.

NYKalltheway
02-23-2011, 04:32 PM

Shall I be the one who bursts your bubble?

The Jokemaker
02-23-2011, 04:39 PM
I tell ya here's an idea. Don't charge 70 bucks for a ticket in the nosebleed section to see a game. If they'd cut prices on games people would go to more games. I know I would go to more Grizzlies games if that were the case. And push the marketing department, get people to WANT to see the games.

PAOboston
02-23-2011, 04:40 PM
No!
of.

the euro league is just fine thank you. the nba moving to europe would be the dumbest thing i have ever heard/seen.....

Shall I be the one who bursts your bubble?
FORZA PAO!

ackar
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
the euro league is just fine thank you. the nba moving to europe would be the dumbest thing i have ever heard/seen.....

FORZA PAO!

Well tell that to Stern he have that dream and Asia too is a huge market for the NBA.

Trace
02-24-2011, 10:57 AM

demarcus cousins
marc gasol
rudy gay
evens
daron williams

bulls lakers
heat clippers
magic spurs
knicks rockets
nets mavericks
celtics warriors
hawks suns
pistons blazers
76ers timberwovles
pacers thunder
wizards
raptors
expansion team hornets
expansion team sonics

Why are you bringing back Seattle? That franchise probably lost more money per year than Enron.
Too lazy to explain the flaws of your plan for economic and financial reasons on the large scale of things.\

and contraction will never happen as Stern wants to continue to expand the number of teams in the league.

The BodyGuard
02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
They don't need to get rid of them, they just need to relocate them

Bring back Seattle

TO to the CHI
02-24-2011, 11:10 AM
chicago say hi

Apparently Detroit and Milwaukee are also not in the midwest.

ne3xchamps
02-24-2011, 11:30 AM

agreed. no downsizing, move teams to better markets that fail miserably. the OP is living in computer or video game world, just wants a bunch of superteams.:cool:

mttwlsn16
02-24-2011, 11:37 AM

demarcus cousins
marc gasol
rudy gay
evens
daron williams

bulls lakers
heat clippers
magic spurs
knicks rockets
nets mavericks
celtics warriors
hawks suns
pistons blazers
76ers timberwovles
pacers thunder
wizards
raptors
expansion team hornets
expansion team sonics

you should be deleted from PSD for suggesting this

gotoHcarolina52
02-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Instead of contracting teams outright, why not merge teams? Each team would play half of its home games in either city.

I would be all for merging the Clippers and Kings and either forcing Sterling to work with the Maloofs or just buy him out completely. Hell, the Kings are thinking about moving to Anaheim, why not take the Clippers with them?

ne3xchamps
02-24-2011, 11:44 AM
That and the fact that about 70,000 people have moved out of Nevada in the last year alone. Moving an NBA team to Vegas would be a disaster

Yeah I heard that too, nevada is in rough shape right now.

ne3xchamps
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
you should be deleted from PSD for suggesting this

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :clap:

ne3xchamps
02-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Instead of contracting teams outright, why not merge teams? Each team would play half of its home games in either city.

I would be all for merging the Clippers and Kings and either forcing Sterling to work with the Maloofs or just buy him out completely. Hell, the Kings are thinking about moving to Anaheim, why not take the Clippers with them?

yeah there is no need for 2 LA teams, especially when they play in the same building.... which is dumb IMO.

Ray
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
What they need to do is cut costs. Get rid of guaranteed contracts. Rashard, Gilbert, Redd, AK-47, Yao, etc... are all overpaid but and are on smaller market teams (cept for Yao i guess) but nonetheless none of them are living up to their contracts. If this was the NFL, all of them would have been cut years ago. The only way small market teams can stay profitable is if they can put good teams on the court. Allowing them to get rid of dead weight would help them sign other players to stay competitive.

Car Ramrod
02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
A max contract should be five years and a hard cap is necessary.

If a team can't dress 12 or 14 players or whatever it is for $60 mill they should be contracted or handcuffed by bad deals.

The superstars shouldn't be the ones negotiating the cba. They will be paid regardless. It's the bench players who have more to lose and perhaps more common sense. Teams should make money. They are a business.

iliketurtles24
02-24-2011, 12:14 PM
i saw no, but im just surpized people are not ripping on the wolves more , or at all

Bravo95
02-24-2011, 12:17 PM
No. Just need to force some of these bad owners out.

bom tenson
02-24-2011, 12:21 PM
adding a franchise tag would fix the need for eliminating small market teams.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-24-2011, 12:37 PM
i said no.. and they shouldent..but i kinda like your idea.. but also never see it going down man.