PDA

View Full Version : Zach Randolph to Orlando for Bass and Richardson?

D Roses Bulls
02-22-2011, 11:14 PM
looks like Sam Smith was onto something

The Grizzlies are talking to a number of teams, with several players on their roster potentially in the mix. The three Griz names we're hearing the most are O.J. Mayo, Hasheem Thabeet and, to a lesser extent, Zach Randolph. But with Memphis poised to overtake the now-depleted Nuggets (and possibly the Jazz) as the seventh or eighth seed in the West, it may now be hesitant to make a deal.

One interesting tidbit from a source in Memphis: Last week Sam Smith of Bulls.com floated a potential Randolph-to-Magic deal. While it's unclear if it was actually proposed, I was told that, internally, the Grizzlies have discussed sending Randolph to Orlando for Brandon Bass and Jason Richardson. The thinking in Memphis is that the deal would keep the Grizzlies competitive this season while also giving them a young power forward for the future. Randolph is an unrestricted free agent this summer and it isn't clear if the Grizzlies can afford to keep him, while Bass is due $4 million next season and has a $4 million player option in 2012-13.

If the Grizzlies or Magic make the offer -- still a big if at this point -- would the Magic bite? Smith's report cited Magic interest, but from what I can gather, Orlando has never made an offer. Randolph would give the Magic a great low-post scorer, but losing Richardson would be a big blow. With the Nets likely to waive Troy Murphy, perhaps Murphy is a cheaper and less risky long-term option for Orlando.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/25196/zach-randolph-to-orlando

gotoHcarolina52
02-22-2011, 11:22 PM
stat & melo. stat & melo.

Hellcrooner
02-22-2011, 11:23 PM
i can only hope so.

Zach in orlando wont work, howard gets pissed and becomes receptive to lakers sirens song.
Memphis wont pay richardson resigning requirementes
bass is a defensive pf so more touches for Marc next year.

numba1CHANGsta
02-22-2011, 11:26 PM
basically the Magic are saying "this is our last chance" to keep Dwight happy in Orlando, but even with this trade, I dont see them beating Boston, Miami, or Chicago

210Don
02-22-2011, 11:28 PM
lol trading jrich again

Mishmin
02-22-2011, 11:28 PM
no way, bad trade both ways.

JiffyMix88
02-22-2011, 11:32 PM
y would memphis do this when they could make the playoffs for the first time since pau? zach has been beasting dont see this happening

5ass
02-22-2011, 11:32 PM
i can only hope so.

Zach in orlando wont work, howard gets pissed and becomes receptive to lakers sirens song.

bass is not a defensive pf, he doesnt play good D. he has a great midrange jump shot can rebound and post up a bit

Hellcrooner
02-22-2011, 11:33 PM
y would memphis do this when they could make the playoffs for the first time since pau? zach has been beasting dont see this happening

they would be better with J rich this year.
Period.
Zach is a blackhole.

Stunner
02-22-2011, 11:40 PM
If this happens i can see OJ gettin traded

Gibby
02-22-2011, 11:40 PM
This wouldnt work for orlando. Randolph is not good defensively and requires alot of touches. Howard and Randolph both need that ball in the same areas. He will just clog things up for Howard.

jdmd3
02-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Period.
Zach is a blackhole.

Haven't you heard Magic fans, not the ones on PSD, call Bass "Ba$$h0le"? There's a good reason for that.

I would like the trade. Zbo is a better version of Bass, and Jrich isn't really lighting it up.

Rivera
02-22-2011, 11:44 PM
do it in a heart beat
dwight will mask any defensive deficincies that zach has...member shard lewis was our PF

Jewelz0376
02-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Magic are doing the same thing Cle was doing before Lebron left...desperately trying to make trades to try and convince d12 not to leave them down the road... Hopefully if this trade goes down it's an epic fail and it will increase the chances even more of d12 in la :superman:

MJ-BULLS
02-22-2011, 11:56 PM
so if this does happen. i can see them trading oj. i guess this is good if the bulls are talking to them for a potential deal sending oj to the bulls.

but then again, this is sam smith were talking about. he really isn't a reliable source to start with.

kblo247
02-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Period.
Zach is a F250 Super Duty.

Fixed that for you since he has been carrying Marc's big and sorry, underachieving *** throughout the whole year. I forgot though he is a Gasol Bros. and will only put in work for touches :rolleyes:

drobe86
02-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Good trade for Orlando, but flat out terrible for Memphis. They won't get anything out of JRich, and Brandon Bass is a backup type PF not a starter... No way I would do this if I were Memphis. Z-Bo is a top 20 player in this league, and they're considering trading him for bench players thats not wise...

kblo247
02-23-2011, 12:47 AM
^^^ Maybe Gay is hurt worse than initially expected. He has to be for them to want J-Rich.

blastmasta26
02-23-2011, 12:54 AM
i can only hope so.

Odyssey reference? :cool:

PhillyFan001
02-23-2011, 01:01 AM
I think this would help the magic, z-bo is a free agent so if it doesn't work oh well he is gone they are not stuck with him. Yes he may take some touches from howard but at least howard knows someone else can rebound and score other then him or when he is on the bench resting. People forget arenas can still ball, the magic could be dangerous I would rather root for them then the lakers, celtics, knicks, heat. The sixers are my favorite team and always will be but I know they are not a championship caliber team.

blastmasta26
02-23-2011, 01:03 AM
The Cavs comparison makes sense now. The Magic are making a bunch of moves, but none are significant enough to propel them to the top of the East. This move would probably improve them, but even if so, they would still be behind the Heat-Celtics-Bulls trio at the top.

SeoulBeatz
02-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Orlando would be significantly better if this went through believe it or not.
They should try to pry mayo as well somehow, but Randolph is surprisingly good this year. He is a rebounding machine and seems to enjoy playing again. along with dwight, it will be impossible to outboard this team.

IversonIsKrazy
02-23-2011, 02:10 AM
bad trade for both teams... kinda weird. Orlando would get more chemistry problems, and Memphis will lose their 20/10 and be replaced with a shooter and a back-up PF.

PLAYERS FAN
02-23-2011, 02:23 AM
Why would Memphis want to trade their best player?

cchrisc773
02-23-2011, 02:33 AM
i can only hope so.

Do you watch Orlando play much? B. Bass is a terrible defender.... 2nd. What with this have to do with Howard and the Magic going forward? Randolph is also and expiring contract and IMO. With Randolph on the team this would take pressure off Howard on offense and allow him to concentrate on defense more.

2. Forget about the double teams on Howard down low. Randolph and Howard would clean up all the rebounds and be a nightmare to try to guard both in the post. This also gives another option to go to late in the game so teams can not just simply foul Howard and put him on the line.

cchrisc773
02-23-2011, 02:38 AM
basically the Magic are saying "this is our last chance" to keep Dwight happy in Orlando, but even with this trade, I dont see them beating Boston, Miami, or Chicago

1. Miami really- They don't even have and answer for Howard, throw Randolph into the fold and they are in serious trouble.

2. Bulls- They also have no answer for Howard and you throw another 20-10 guy into the fold and they would struggle also IMO..

3. Celtics- They also have no answer for Howard 1 on 1. With Randolph they add another scorer that would make KG work on defense and would really give Orlando a huge advantage when it came to rebounds.

I honestly think this would be a great move for Orlando. You have 2 low post threats surrounded my shooters, who now IMO would many more open looks since teams would not be able to crash the three point line without paying down-low. Lastly, think about all the 2nd and 3rd chance points the Magic would have.

hgtiger32
02-23-2011, 02:38 AM
Magic are doing the same thing Cle was doing before Lebron left...desperately trying to make trades to try and convince d12 not to leave them down the road... Hopefully if this trade goes down it's an epic fail and it will increase the chances even more of d12 in la :superman:

good point on the similarities. but orlando isn't dwights hometown, and his supporting cast is better than lebrons

cchrisc773
02-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Why would Memphis want to trade their best player?

1. Reason. They are not going to bring him back next season as a FA. So they get a young Brandon Bass for two seasons at a solid contract.

cchrisc773
02-23-2011, 02:43 AM
good point on the similarities. but orlando isn't dwights hometown, and his supporting cast is better than lebrons

Here is the issue with D-12 going to LA.

1. Lakers have some unmovable contracts that will still be on the books in 2012.

2. They are a aging team that is going to be rebuilding in the near future.

3. Orlando has young talent that many don't seem to remember. E. Clark, R. Anderson, D. Orton, B. Bass, JJ Redick and Fran Vasquez

4. Orlando just built a 600 Million dollar arena, the CAVS did not do that for LBJ. ( Btw the best arena in the league and finally Orlando has one of the richest and best owners in the league)

5. Cavs did trade for guys; however, no doubt the players ORlando are adding are much more talented then the ones the Cavs added.

6. Orlando's starting 5 with Randolph would be better then any starting 5 LBJ every played with.

7. CBA CBA CBA- People keep saying LA. However, they already would be over the cap even with Bynum coming off the books to sign D-12 to a max contract with the new cap that will be in place.

8. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Orlando can offer that and the Florida Tax break, a huge reason why LBJ now plays in Florida. Yes, his contract seems like he took a huge cut; however, when you figure in the taxes not really....

cchrisc773
02-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Good trade for Orlando, but flat out terrible for Memphis. They won't get anything out of JRich, and Brandon Bass is a backup type PF not a starter... No way I would do this if I were Memphis. Z-Bo is a top 20 player in this league, and they're considering trading him for bench players thats not wise...

Memphis is still trying to add pieces. Young talent. 2. I disagree. Bass is a solid starter IMO.

Keep in mind. Do you want to get nothing for Z-BO? He is a FA as is M. Gasol. Do you honestly see the Griz paying them both huge long term contracts? Z-Bo is going to want a near max type deal and there will be plenty of interest for Gasol so the Grizzlies will have to more then likely overpay to keep him.

sixer04fan
02-23-2011, 02:53 AM
Sounds like a bad idea for both teams in my opinion.

Confusious
02-23-2011, 02:58 AM
I want this to happen.

Mayo would then be traded to Chicago for Taj Gibson + firsts.

Hellcrooner
02-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Here is the issue with D-12 going to LA.

1. Lakers have some unmovable contracts that will still be on the books in 2012.

2. They are a aging team that is going to be rebuilding in the near future.

3. Orlando has young talent that many don't seem to remember. E. Clark, R. Anderson, D. Orton, B. Bass, JJ Redick and Fran Vasquez

4. Orlando just built a 600 Million dollar arena, the CAVS did not do that for LBJ. ( Btw the best arena in the league and finally Orlando has one of the richest and best owners in the league)

5. Cavs did trade for guys; however, no doubt the players ORlando are adding are much more talented then the ones the Cavs added.

6. Orlando's starting 5 with Randolph would be better then any starting 5 LBJ every played with.

7. CBA CBA CBA- People keep saying LA. However, they already would be over the cap even with Bynum coming off the books to sign D-12 to a max contract with the new cap that will be in place.

8. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Orlando can offer that and the Florida Tax break, a huge reason why LBJ now plays in Florida. Yes, his contract seems like he took a huge cut; however, when you figure in the taxes not really....
Ever heard about SIGN AND TRADE?

cchrisc773
02-23-2011, 04:20 AM
Ever heard about SIGN AND TRADE?

Orlando would never do a sign and trade with the Lakers.

1. Lakers round 1 picks would not be worth enough for Howard.

2. Orlando would not trade the best big man in the league for aging stars.

3. Orlando would want no part of Andruw Bynum. So go on about a sign and trade all you want; however, the Lakers did not have enough to get Melo how the heck are they going to get a better player in Howard?

4. Did you see what NJ offered for MELO? You can times that offer by 2 for Howard. Orlando if they have to move Howard are going to get a heck of a package for him.

Lastly, why is any of this Howard talk being discussed? 1. He still is under contract for over another season. 2. He has yet been offered or declined to extend with Orlando. How about we worry about all this what if's or Howard going to LA when Howard himself tells Orlando he wants out.

cchrisc773
02-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Sounds like a bad idea for both teams in my opinion.

How is Orlando adding a 20/10 player with and expiring contract a bad idea for them? Currently teams can double Howard down-low as Bass is below average in scoring and defense. Ryan Anderson plays more like a SF then a PF and lastly Orlando lacks some serious depth at PF/C.

J-Rich is not a huge loss if Orlando does in fact move him. IMO, JJ Redick would be a better player to have in the starting line-up. 2. Moving J. Rich allows Q. Rich to play more. Which Q.Rich and JJ Redick are Orlando's best wing defenders..

This actually gives Orlando much more balance on offense and gives them more mis matches on the court. Lastly, Orlando with Randolph would have the best offense in the NBA.

Howard currently is trying to carry the team on offense and defense; however, late in the 4th game in close games when Orlando can not go to Howard they currently don't have another option then can step up consistently enough to help them win.

Howard in close games in the 4th becomes a liability since teams look to foul Howard. This then takes away any low post game on offense for Orlando and makes them very one dimensional. You add Randolph you still have a consistent scorer that can carry you in close games and allows you to still play with balance.

Orlando would be a much better team with Z. Randolph and H. Thabeet then currently with J. Rich and B. Bass. Lastly, the actually deal has O.J. Mayo possibly included.

However, none of this seems to matter since it appears Orlando is very unlikely to make another deal and they are already in talks with J. Rich about a contract extension. ( Which I actually hate the idea.)

The Jokemaker
02-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Doesn't make any sense for the Grizz to do this deal. It would open a hole at PF meanwhile Tony Allen, OJ Mayo, and Sam Young can play well at the SG position.

jrm2054
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
this would be great for the magic

Madtown22
02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Interesting Idea.