PDA

View Full Version : The case for Iggy being the best Wing-Defender in the game

Chronz
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
http://www.depressedfan.com/basketball/sixers/iguodalas-victim-list.php

Possibly inspired by the Grant Hill article but perfectly sums up why I LOVE IGGY

Iguodala ranks first in PPP Allowed, second in PER against, 7th in DFR when he's on the floor, and fifth in DFR differential among all wing starters of note. Kobe and Gerald Wallace, the two wings who made first team all defense last season, rank near the bottom of the list in most categories.

justinnum1
02-22-2011, 05:35 PM
When wade gives full effort, he's pretty damn good.

Iggy is pretty good

210Don
02-22-2011, 05:37 PM
lol @wade

i thought philly fans hated iggy

BrahCake954
02-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Iggy is pretty good

wrong.. wade is an average defender.. he gambles on steals and blocks but that about it...

he doesnt hustle back on defense and is not great on ball either..

DaBUU
02-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Luol Deng says Hello. just jokin

Supreme LA
02-22-2011, 05:45 PM

Iggy is pretty good

Wade is an average defender at best but he is good in passing lanes. His on ball defense is pretty bad actually.

Chronz
02-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Luol Deng says Hello. just jokin

Deng definitely has a case, still I like Iggys versatility on the perimeter, he can check 2's and 3's, while Deng seems more like a guy who can check forwards big or small.

footballer2369
02-22-2011, 05:46 PM
lol @wade

lol @ the guy who finished 3rd in DPOY voting right?

footballer2369
02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Wade is an average defender at best but he is good in passing lanes. His on ball defense is pretty bad actually.

Far from true. Prove it.

thekmp211
02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
the right defensive players are almost never recognized.

jtsunami
02-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Iggy is pretty good

I didn't know this thread was started to talk about Wade...

Anyway, that's cool to know. I didn't know Iguodala was that good of a defender.

gbrl
02-22-2011, 05:49 PM
is there a site where we can look up per against

Sadds The Gr8
02-22-2011, 05:51 PM
pretty impressive stats i never knew he was this good. i still think artest is still the best and he'll show it in the playoffs.

LayZbone
02-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Cool article. But that shutdown of Lebron...it was the 2nd game of the season. I think the high amount of TOs can also be attributed to a lack of team chemistry. But yeah, Iggy's an underrated defender.

alencp3
02-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Battier
Mbah a Moute
T. Prince
Sefolosha
Matt Barnes

but Wallace is IMO the best

Gambeezy
02-22-2011, 05:54 PM

Iggy is pretty good

wrong.. wade is an average defender.. he gambles on steals and blocks but that about it...

he doesnt hustle back on defense and is not great on ball either..

Actually you're wrong. "When Wade gives FULL EFFORT, he's pretty damn good" is a general, nevertheless fair assessment. He didn't say Wade is a DPOY candidate or anything.

Still fulfilling that role as "PSD's most negative Heat fan" I see.

gsgs49
02-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah and he's arguably the best non PG passer,Iggy is very underrated nowadays.

Sixerlover
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Picture floating around twitter today http://yfrog.com/h37rog

And Iguodala has one of the best A / TO ratios of any player in the history of NBA over 6'6. And the best non PG ratio in the league. He's playing beyond great this year. But this is the NBA where 90% of fans only react to PPG

BrahCake954
02-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Actually you're wrong. "When Wade gives FULL EFFORT, he's pretty damn good" is a general, nevertheless fair assessment. He didn't say Wade is a DPOY candidate or anything.

Still fulfilling that role as "PSD's most negative Heat fan" I see.

homers gonna home!!

gsgs49
02-22-2011, 06:02 PM
And i'm pretty shocked that Batum is at the bottom of the list,i thought that he's a great defender.

bballboy9809
02-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Yeah and he's arguably the best non PG passer,Iggy is very underrated nowadays.

This is very true, and I feel that if you don't agree you probably haven't ever seen him play. Most just base their assumptions off what they see on ESPN (which never shows anything to do with the sixers)

NYKalltheway
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Up with the Iggy hype :D

DITKA4GOV
02-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Why does every thread start with a different team/player, and before you know it a Heat fan is excited to talk up a Heat player. Every Thread!

unleashthebeast
gwall
tony allen
sefalosha
barnes

iggy

probably the top 5 at this point...

DITKA4GOV
Good stats on Iggy tho. Surprising actually!

gilly
02-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Why does every thread start with a different team/player, and before you know it a Heat fan is excited to talk up a Heat player. Every Thread!

Yup, this.

Iggy for DPOY :cool:

Lim
02-22-2011, 09:30 PM
andre "dont you dare call me iggy" iguodala

Sixerlover
02-22-2011, 09:46 PM
gwall
tony allen
sefalosha
barnes

iggy

lol

Burkey3472
02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Love the Iggy props.....

Hes been a beast on the defensive side of the ball this year.

Korman12
02-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Glad someone else is recognizing this. If he doesn't land on first team all defense it's a crime, up to this point. He's literally had maybe 2-3 bad, below average defensive games and about 30+ elite ones guarding the best players in the game every single night.

blastmasta26
02-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Iggy's a great defender, never really thought of him being the best though. He certainly has a strong case based on the numbers.

And there should definitely be different criteria for All-Defensive teams and the DPOY award. Too much emphasis on blocks and steals.

Korman12
02-22-2011, 09:58 PM
gwall
tony allen
sefalosha
barnes

iggy

I think this is a case for what they did last year. Wallace was the superior defensive player in 09-10, and the role has switched at this point. Sefalosha also was better in 09-10 and hasn't been as elite as he was. Barnes has missed 20 games and him and Tony Allen don't get starter's minutes.

Iggy starts every night (barring his small stretch of missed games), only plays the oppositions best perimeter SG/SF, and has only gotten better as the season has progressed.

Doogolas
02-22-2011, 10:02 PM
He and Lu are probably the two best. It's fun when they play each other. Clinics all over.

bholly
02-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm surprised so many are surprised, to be honest. I thought he was recognized by a lot here as being elite defensively.

NYKalltheway
02-22-2011, 10:30 PM
He is recognized by me :shrug: he's on my draft team with Afflalo :p

Hustlenomics
02-22-2011, 10:34 PM
he's always been an elite defender

pd7631
02-22-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm surprised so many are surprised, to be honest. I thought he was recognized by a lot here as being elite defensively.

x2

pd7631
02-22-2011, 11:11 PM
he's always been an elite defender

Yep

Jewelz0376
02-22-2011, 11:42 PM
from the min he came into the league he's always been a pretty good defender... If he were on a team like la,bos, etc... that goes deep playoffs he would be even more widely considered as a one of the best defenders at his position...

drobe86
02-23-2011, 12:25 AM
Iggy is/has been in an elite defender for about 3 years now. I remember in 2008 when he held kobe to 8 pts and then hit the game winner vs. LA... Iggy is a gem and easily the most underrated player in the NBA.... He does so much for his team on both ends of the floor idk how he isn't an all star every season. He's a top 15 player in this league Bar none....

SeoulBeatz
02-23-2011, 12:46 AM
We just hate his contract and his poor shot selection at times.

But he is incredibly unselfish (He passes the ball 67% per touch, more than any other SG or SF in the NBA) and there is no denying he is the best wing defender in the game right now. You really have to watch him to understand. It is impossible to score against him because of his athleticism, long arms, and hustle. He tips more passes than I've ever seen. The stats don't lie.

At times, I've wanted to hate him and see him gone, but i can't be cause he has been doing everything right this year. Scoring less because he's being more selective with his shots, it's just a damn shame he plays the same position as our #2 pick.

Crzycjunx76
02-23-2011, 01:34 AM
Define best defender.
Just as there are so many different types of good starters at all positions not simply those that score in volume, there are many different types of good defender, it really depends on your team.

I brake it down pretty simply. Players can have more than one quality... though it is hard to be both a gambler and a lock down defender. You can also obviously be a different quality of player in any of the skills, not all gamblers are created equal etc.

1) Shot blockers- You can have good shot blockers at any position but where it yields the most effect is at the 4 or 5 where a player down low can dissuade traffic headed to the hoop. It is particularly important for teams that have wing defenders that often let their man get past them. Being a shot blocker is obviously not mutually exclusive with any of the other types of defending.

2) Gamblers- gamblers go for the steal, they try to jump the passing lanes, attack the dribble, they are great for disrupting offenses that rely on ball movement and are great at facilitating fast breaks.

3) Lock Down Defender- A lock down defender is to me a player that sticks to his man like glue, he always stays in front of his man on and off the ball. He keeps the pressure on without allowing himself to get off balance or over committed.

4) Help Defenders- being a good help defender is not mutually exclusive to any other skill but it is extremely important and often under appreciated. Being able to rotate quickly to meet a man who has beaten their defender, or knowing when to bring the double team are the type of skills that make a TEAM great on defense instead of having a great defender.

5) Useless- it takes real effort to be a useless defender in the NBA, even a player with marginal physical talent who takes a real interest in defense should be able to contribute in one of the previously mentioned categories... they may be bad at it but they at least bring SOMETHING. Yet somehow there are players that really provide no real resistance to their opposition.. the end up out of position though it is not because they are aggressively going for a block or a steal, and they are always late on their rotations or simply do not bother trying.

As for Iggy, I could make a case for him based on a few criteria but I could make an equally good case for Wallace, or Deng. I guess I would call him one of the best, but I do not think you truly have a defender that is best across the board at any position... except maybe Howard.

Bruno
02-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Great article, thanks for posting.

SeoulBeatz
02-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Picture floating around twitter today http://yfrog.com/h37rog

And Iguodala has one of the best A / TO ratios of any player in the history of NBA over 6'6. And the best non PG ratio in the league. He's playing beyond great this year. But this is the NBA where 90% of fans only react to PPG

That pretty much says it all about iggy right there. he is lockdown.

Those are absurd numbers, not one of those elite scorers could even surpass 16 points on Iggy. Not one, I gotta respect someone who takes pride in defense. If only he could shoot.

HakeemTheDream
02-23-2011, 05:31 AM
So where do you go to find this PPP stat?

bholly
02-23-2011, 06:24 AM

Synergy Sports. It says so (and has a link to it) right in the article. Synergy is a subscription service that you have to pay for, though.

HakeemTheDream
02-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Synergy Sports It says so (and has a link to it) right in the article. Synergy is a subscription service that you have to pay for, though.

Nobody is going to pay to see an unrecognized and flawed stat lol. Is there any other way?

bholly
02-23-2011, 06:44 AM
I don't think so. And plenty of people pay for Synergy - including (as far as I know) almost every NBA team - and it's very very well regarded.

icej
02-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Battier
Mbah a Moute
T. Prince
Sefolosha
Matt Barnes

but Wallace is IMO the best

Yep my NBA2K11 also says so. :eyebrow:

Philly 4 Life
02-23-2011, 09:05 AM
lol @wade

Theres a difference, when iggy plays and thinks hes jordan and takes jumper after jumper and shows up small against weaker teams (which is more times than not) that is when he despise him, but when iggy actaully plays team basketabll nd shows signs of wat he could be if he would just patton his jumper, for example last weeks trip dub, and averagin almost 7 nd 6 (rebs nd asst) close to lebron den we give him sum love because we see hope...that is just my feelings on iggy...I will say this again tho if he can patton his jumper da dude might literally average about 22-24 pts, 7 rebs, 7 ast...very close to bron, and is also a very good defender when he wants to be (sometimes hes laxed) but very good

Hawkeye15
02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
is there a site where we can look up per against

http://www.82games.com/1011/10PHI5.HTM

Hawkeye15
02-23-2011, 10:35 AM

are you referring to how many PPP Iggy gives up? I can find that for you later, I can't get synergy at work.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Nobody is going to pay to see an unrecognized and flawed stat lol. Is there any other way?

how is it flawed haha? Its a simple calculation of how many PPP their assigned man gets. Pretty damn simple. Also, if nobody is willing to pay, why does every NBA team subscribe to this site for a part of their comprehensive scouting?