PDA

View Full Version : Is NY a title contender?

BBALLFINATIC
02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Who thinks NY has a chance at a title?

I think the one problem they have is no depth. Just like the Heat. I don't know if NY could be the Celtics or the Bulls in a 7 game series. I think its the exact same thing for the Heat. In a 7 game series the Heat and Knicks don't stand a chance against the Celtics and Bulls.

I'm going with Charles Barkley on this one. Best team in the East is Bulls. Playing some of the best basketball, and without one of their key guys. I'm excited to see what they do with NOah back.

NYKalltheway
02-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Let me be the first who says NO

abe_froman
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
not this year.but its a great start

Chacarron
02-22-2011, 05:34 PM
No. Maybe in the next couple of years if they acquire the right pieces.

0nekhmer
Knick's fan w/ NY in his name > everyone else's opinion

justinnum1
No

BBALLFINATIC
02-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Agreed. No real depth for New York. However I would love to see the Knicks whoop up on the Heat.

Chi StateOfMind
02-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Not now but future looking bright for them especially if they sign CP3 or D-Will......now they need to mesh together and in 2 or 3 years they will be elite again

mikealike305
02-22-2011, 05:37 PM
na chill. they can be tho

IBleedPurple
02-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Not yet

Create
02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Not yet.

bahama0811
02-22-2011, 05:39 PM
No, maybe next year if they can get some more pieces.

RZZZA
02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
The Knicks' time is coming. It's just not this season.

JordansBulls
02-22-2011, 05:44 PM
You need either the best player in the league, or be the defending champion or have HCA to start the playoffs to be a legit contender.

kozelkid
02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
You need either the best player in the league, or be the defending champion or have HCA to start the playoffs to be a legit contender.

That's your opinion. Do not state your opinion as fact.

To answer the question though, no.
And I hope people realize they won't be able to get Paul or Deron or Dwight unless they want to take MAJOR paycuts.

Laker Legend42
02-22-2011, 05:49 PM
The Knicks are pretty thin at every position so I don't think you can call them contenders right now. I also think they need a coach. D'Antoni's system is like the run and shoot in football. You score a lot and win games but it's all figured out when it's playoff time. The only way you keep this coach is if he's able to adapt to the players that he has. I don't think he can.

gbrl
02-22-2011, 05:51 PM
in a few years maybe but as of right now they barely improved over what they had before the trade

Mudvayne91
02-22-2011, 05:51 PM
IDK, having two superstars together doesn't always mesh well together. I think Melo and Stat will be fine together, especially with a guy like Billups running the show, but it's definitely too early for contender, I think.

mjm07
02-22-2011, 05:54 PM
That's your opinion. Do not state your opinion as fact.

To answer the question though, no.
And I hope people realize they won't be able to get Paul or Deron or Dwight unless they want to take MAJOR paycuts.

^^agreed!

To answer the threads question: Hell No! Especially not this year. Maybe next year although IMO unless they nab CP3 or D-Will or even D. Howard they will not be better than the Bulls, Heat, or Celtics.

bringinwood
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
not this year.but its a great start

Pretty much...

They have a great basis for a solid team...

There is a problem... They may be more cash strapped than any other team in 1/2 a season...

They have two player making 20MM+ on their roster... That has the potential to be disasterous....

I think they needed to make the deal, but whether that will ever translate into a ring is a much different situation...

It will be interesting to see whether the Knicks will rest on the Melo hype this offseason or whether they plan on making the Knicks into a legitimate title contender... We'll see how it pans out..

BigRed
02-22-2011, 06:04 PM
In '12 D-Will, CP3, and Dwight Howard all become free agents.

If the Knicks can get Howard and D-Will or CP3.

I'll say yes.

Dan
02-22-2011, 06:05 PM
not yet.. at the earliest next year, more likely the year after..

bringinwood
02-22-2011, 06:11 PM
In '12 D-Will, CP3, and Dwight Howard all become free agents.

If the Knicks can get Howard and D-Will or CP3.

I'll say yes.

Knicks fans might as well get that out of their head...

They aren't getting Howard, Paul, or D-Will...

None of the 3 would get a max contract in 2012 with the Knicks...

There will be better options ( Bulls, Lakers, or just making the Magic better by Paul or Williams joining Howard ) out there where they can get a max deal and instantly compete for a ring...

I would expect that the Magic would try to make Howard happy by trading for Paul or Williams so they can retain him...

Slimsim
02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Lol no We are a playoff team But Chicago Magics Celtics and Miami Are on a much different level plus they need time to gel

Slimsim
02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
maybe we can get sloan to coach us when we become serious contenders

Madtown22
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
When they get Chris Paul..... Yes

Atownballa5
02-22-2011, 06:21 PM
few years possibly to good chance... this year hell no

they traded everything away when right now their team is amare and melo you guys need some defensive minded players

Young and Stupid
02-22-2011, 06:27 PM
The Knicks are pretty thin at every position so I don't think you can call them contenders right now. I also think they need a coach. D'Antoni's system is like the run and shoot in football. You score a lot and win games but it's all figured out when it's playoff time. The only way you keep this coach is if he's able to adapt to the players that he has. I don't think he can.

I agree with the general argument of your post, but not the first point. The Knicks' lack of depth is being incorrectly stated. The only position they're thin at is center.

Billups/Douglas/Carter
Fields/Walker/Azuibuike
Melo/Brewer
Stat/Williams
Turiaf/Williams

I wouldn't call them title contenders, but I think people are overlooking the Knicks though. I'm of the opinion that they could upset the Bulls in the first round. It's gonna be fun -- we'll see what happens.

few years possibly to good chance... this year hell no

they traded everything away when right now their team is amare and melo you guys need some defensive minded players
Corey Brewer, Landry Fields, Ronny Turiaf, Sheldon Williams. Let's not overlook some of the players that the Knicks have on their roster. I don't really think they gutted their team as much as some seem to think they have.

Side-note: Technically, the trade should be voided because the Knicks can't trade their 2014 pick, but I doubt that happens. We'll see.

Tuck&Rolle
02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I don't think so but I do definitely think they will do some damage in playoffs.

PS- I'm a Knicks fan

JayW_1023
02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Not without a great defensive big and some depth on the bench.

Albrecht Duerer
02-22-2011, 06:36 PM
The Knicks have some strengths (offense) but they also have some glaring weaknesses, namely defense and depth. Its really hard to imagine them making it past a lot of the teams that are in front of them, especially the ones that can play defense, let alone defeat the western conf champion.

They can maybe make some noise and they have a good foundation going forward, but not a title contender.

Dade County
02-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Who thinks NY has a chance at a title?

I think the one problem they have is no depth. Just like the Heat. I don't know if NY could be the Celtics or the Bulls in a 7 game series. I think its the exact same thing for the Heat. In a 7 game series the Heat and Knicks don't stand a chance against the Celtics and Bulls.

You crazy guy you... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think you are not going to like this upcoming playoffs.

Evolution23
02-22-2011, 06:55 PM
not yet.. let us get a big and a couple of decent role players, then yes we are.

hdxstunts1
02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
They are no where near a title...Knick fans get that straight...you cant win with 2.5 players. You need atleast 5, if not about 9. You guys are 2.5 deep, with Fields, Turiaf being fillers..and no bench.

I like the Knicks, I like your starting 5 but as players as a team, they are the 6th seed maybe even the 7th in the east!

Bornknick73
02-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Knicks fans might as well get that out of their head...

They aren't getting Howard, Paul, or D-Will...

None of the 3 would get a max contract in 2012 with the Knicks... There will be better options ( Bulls, Lakers, or just making the Magic better by Paul or Williams joining Howard ) out there where they can get a max deal and instantly compete for a ring...

I would expect that the Magic would try to make Howard happy by trading for Paul or Williams so they can retain him...

Why? How much will a max contract be? I dont know either.

How much room would we need to clear? I dont know that yet

Billups is 14 mil coming off in 2012, this i do know.

Young and Stupid
02-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Why? How much will a max contract be? I dont know either.

How much room would we need to clear? I dont know that yet

Billups is 14 mil coming off in 2012, this i do know.

Yeah, but it's 14 mil coming off a team who's already significantly over the cap. Plus, it's likely that the cap will be lower -- as will max contracts -- after the new CBA is instituted. I don't see how the Knicks could fit another max player in unless they trade for him. As you said though -- we don't know. We'll see what Isiah (not Donnie) can do.

John Walls Era
02-22-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm going to wait til they play first.

Hawkeye15
02-22-2011, 08:10 PM
absolutely not. Their coach still needs to be fired, they need a real center who can play defense, and now they need a lot of depth.
They are still probably getting knocked out in the first round.

I don't like the Melo trade for the Knicks. They gave up way too much. They will now be the Nuggets of the east imo. Billups is in sharp decline, and they just gave up a ton of depth.

Crackadalic
02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Legitimate
02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
This isn't even thread worthy IMO. Knicks aren't title contenders, Ronnie Turiaf isn't scaring nobody not even Andrea Bargnani. Their defense got worse with this trade and it wasn't even that good in the first place. They lost a lot of depth..I like their offense though, just like how I liked the Raps offense last year, but ya'll know how that ended up.. If Turiaf can step it up they might make it past the first round. Bulls, Celtics, Heat, Orlando, hawks will all eat the knicks alive in the first round. Next year ya'll be one of the best teams in the east hopefully.

RedRicanoBx
02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
No way but we wont be easy to knock out idc what you guys say and I think NYK arent done...

NORMeaga
02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
i'm just gonna say No...however i did hear that David Stern is shrinking the league to 8 teams...:D

CostanzaNumba0
02-22-2011, 08:29 PM
i'm just gonna say No...however i did hear that David Stern is shrinking the league to 8 teams...:D

he should the small market teams are hemhoragging money, anyway i dont think they can win this year but i guarantee you noone wants to play them, they have a punchers chance vs anyone

Knickrocketsfan
02-22-2011, 08:34 PM
STOP WITH THESE THREADS!!! especially b/c its in the nba forum