PDA

View Full Version : DeRozan: Done competing in "prop dunk contest"

GodsSon
02-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Asked Tuesday if he thinks he was robbed when he didn't reach the final of the competition, DeRozan replied, "I think so." Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers won by leaping over a car to edge Washington's JaVale McGee in the last round.

"I'm a dunker. Dunk contests, you go out there and dunk. I'm not into all the props and everything," DeRozan said at shootaround before Tuesday's game against Charlotte. "I try to come out with a creative dunk and do it and go from there. My fans liked it and you can see the reaction from a lot of people afterward.

"If there's a dunk contest next year I'll do it. But not no prop dunk contest."

DeRozan feels the extra elements cheapens the contest.

"I think a lot of people probably look at it like that. It seems that way when you watch it," he said. "This year I put thought into it. I practiced, had dunks ready and everything. It is what it is. I did it two years in a row. I'm good."

Asked if he would reconsider, DeRozan said he would only compete again if the All-Star game is held in Toronto or if the rules are changed to eliminate props.

"There's no telling what might happen next year," DeRozan said. "Somebody might use a trampoline."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/22/AR2011022203695.html

LOL at least we still have some dunking purists in the league.

Figured this would be a nice change from the varying Carmelo/Knicks threads all over the NBA forum.

John Walls Era
02-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Amen.

haggis
02-22-2011, 03:03 PM
completely agreed. derozans dunk was amazing. props suck

king4day
02-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Good for him. I don't think anything will change tho. It's stale as most dunks have been done already.

marvILLous
02-22-2011, 03:05 PM
the only way mcgee, ibaka or griffin could have beaten derozan was with props.. big guys don't look as good or fluid in the air doing normal dunks like derozan.. so they had to bump up the hype and get the crowd behind them by bringing in props

oh well.. kinda disappointing cuz i'm sure derozan had some sick dunks ready for the final round

agree with him though

the_jon
02-22-2011, 03:06 PM
DeRozan's from Compton so all these cheesy props and stupid theatrics probably seemed extra silly to him.

DeMar absolutely got robbed and I'll understand completely if he never does the dunk contest again.

hdxstunts1
Sadly, he's right. Dunk contest should be about the dunks not the props and theatrics although i do like that aspect at times!

bulldog312
I'd rather their be no props than all of this extreme sideshow crap. Occasionally I like some of the props (the 2 rims I enjoyed), but it would be worth giving those up IMO.

Raph12
02-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Dude was robbed... McGee still had the dunk of the night though.

justinnum1
man has a point

GodsSon
Good for him. I don't think anything will change tho. It's stale as most dunks have been done already.

I just love seeing the raw athleticism that the participants display. Just looking at JWE's sig a few posts up is poetry in motion.

BHF
DeRozan's from Compton so all these cheesy props and stupid theatrics probably seemed extra silly to him.

DeMar absolutely got robbed and I'll understand completely if he never does the dunk contest again.

this

Weezy
Derozan had some nice dunks. Real talk.

Sadds The Gr8
02-22-2011, 03:08 PM
he's right. Blake's last dunk was a joke. TONS of players in the league can catch an alley while jumping over the HOOD of a car. plus the dunk was friggin plain as hell...not even a windmill, tomohawk, or anything. if Blake jumped over the top, that'd be a different story.

chicago lulz
02-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Preach on Demar. Agreed.
That Derozan dunk was absolutely sick. As was the Ibaka from a little behind the line dunk.

RZZZA
02-22-2011, 03:09 PM
yeah, i agree with DeRozan, the dunk contest has gotten ridiculous.

Double_R
02-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Real talk... Dude got robbed on 1st dunk, his second was amazing and Griff won on some bullsiht dunks.

John Walls Era
Blake Griffin got pity from the judges cuz his friend died. I thought that was a cheap move by Blake... don't use your friend BEFORE the dunk contest.

Rego247
tell em DD.

bigsams50
02-22-2011, 03:12 PM

This

Crackadalic
02-22-2011, 03:13 PM
I thought Iggy got robbed. This right here is like breaking the 10 commandments. Thou shall not steal and they stole from this man. Straight travesty

Albrecht Duerer
02-22-2011, 03:13 PM
I was indifferent towards this guy before. Now he has a fan.

RiLoc
02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Definitely agree with DeMar. Well... I liked Javale McGee dunking on two rims at once. That was a prop dunk, but the focus wasn't the prop, it was the athleticism and coordination needed for that dunk. I truly disliked the teddy bear, car, choir nonsense. Anything that made it more about the prop than the dunk. If I had to lose the double rim dunk in order to lose the rest, I would do it in a heart beat.

KaiserSose
Props suck, using multiple balls suck, and 2 minute shot clocks where you can try it 30 times suck also. The only good pure dunks were Ibaka's from behind the free throw line and DD's

Ebbs
I dont care about props... If I was him i'd be more upset about the fact that even if deroz jumped over an airplane and dunked he still would have lost...

It sucks that the contest was rigged

mttwlsn16
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
his dunks were sick but when u take 10 attempts to throw it down youre going to lose points

GodsSon
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
I thought Iggy got robbed. This right here is like breaking the 10 commandments. Thou shall not steal and they stole from this man. Straight travesty

Preach my man

miller74
02-22-2011, 03:17 PM
It was a for gone conclusion that Blake was reaching the finals. Demar is right

bravesatl
02-22-2011, 03:21 PM
agree with DD and everybody here

props are overrated, DD got robbed, and griffin's last dunk sucked

Bob Loblaw
02-22-2011, 03:21 PM
C'mon Demar a few days ago you were tweeting pics of yourself using a trampoline to jump over a guy dressed as a chicken on top of a ladder...

pebloemer
02-22-2011, 03:22 PM
his dunks were sick but when u take 10 attempts to throw it down youre going to lose points

Like Griffin's second dunk?

I agree attempts should come into consideration with the judges, but then all participants need to be put to the same standard in that regard.

The theatrics of the dunk contest made me sick. I agree it was better than last year and I enjoyed McGee's creativity, but the whole thing was way over the top. Then to hear Kenny Smith talk about how Blake is just "a guy and a basket, none of these props" then later go out and wheel a car onto the court for his final dunk is so two-faced.

I'd be pissed if I were DeRozan too.

Double_R
02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
It was a for gone conclusion that Blake was reaching the finals. Demar is right

I know... Blake was the worst dunker of the night, period. DD balled and should have been in the final.

John Hollinger
"In truth, McGee should have been facing DeMar DeRozan in the final instead of Griffin, but the hometown Los Angeles crowd swayed the judges heavily in Griffin's favor. In particular, Griffin received 46 points on a first-round dunk from a pass off the side of the backboard. DeRozan did the same thing, except he passed the ball between his legs after the catch -- a far more difficult maneuver. Nonetheless, he only got 44 points for his effort. Given that Griffin beat out DeRozan by a point for entry into the final, it was a grievous judging error.

Between Ibaka's free throw line dunk, the DeRozan swoop, the DeRozan between-the-legs dunk and the McGee dunks with two rims and three balls, there were five iconic dunks in the first round.

None of those, you'll notice, were by the winner. Griffin had two misses on what would have been spectacular windmill dunks on his first try and ended up settling for a less emphatic jam on the one he actually made. Nonetheless, he received an incredibly generous score of 49 for that one. Nonetheless, I'm not sure the excitement in the arena every time Griffin walked up could be accurately conveyed on television. It's not necessarily fair, but it's the reason he won."

Rego247
C'mon Demar a few days ago you were tweeting pics of yourself using a trampoline to jump over a guy dressed as a chicken on top of a ladder...

that was obviously a joke/teaser to get ppl interested in the contest.

HoopsDrive
He's completely right. If you use props to enhance the dunk like McGee did with his first dunk, then ok. But that dunking over the car ****? And bringing your mom to the contest? And that teddy bear crap? Gtfo outta here with that ****.

We need real dunkers like VC, Tmac, JRich, AI, J-Smoove and Mason. DD is a real dunker. He doesn't need any props to gain votes and crowd support.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-22-2011, 03:30 PM
he mad...

teddygreen17
02-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Yup...I want to see just athleticism, not props.

HoopsDrive
02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
he mad...

he mad... but he right too

t_money25
02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
I think he has a point. Too many props take away from the excitement of the actual dunks. Griffin's last dunk was not impressive at all. There's about 50 guys in the league right now that can jump over the hood of a car..........I've seen a baseball player jump over the roof of a car. IMO Griffin should of been third.

magichatnumber9
02-22-2011, 03:33 PM
DD shut up, after the performance you and the loser pack gave last year you should be lucky they allowed you to participate again. You didn't deserve to win this year JM did.

RZZZA
02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
I think he has a point. Too many props take away from the excitement of the actual dunks. Griffin's last dunk was not impressive at all. There's about 50 guys in the league right now that can jump over the hood of a car..........I've seen a baseball player jump over the roof of a car. IMO Griffin should of been third.

dude, high school athletes can jump over the hood of a car.

t_money25
02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
dude, high school athletes can jump over the hood of a car.

I agree, and I'm aware of that. That's exactly why I wasn't impressed.

ATX
02-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Glad Demar spoke up about this. Dunk contest has become a joke.

GodsSon
02-22-2011, 03:45 PM
DD shut up, after the performance you and the loser pack gave last year you should be lucky they allowed you to participate again. You didn't deserve to win this year JM did.

And yet he still had the best dunk last year too lol

koreancabbage
02-22-2011, 03:47 PM

he also had the best dunk of the contest last year. side backboard windwill dunk. Yes he did bring some weakstuff to the finals, but none of these other guys had real good dunks other than McGee with the reverse.

and yes, he wasn't selected to dunk in this year's contest cuz Jennings was supposed to. But you could always imagine what he had planned for the finals.

He also had the best arguably best dunk of the night again this year (or even a tie with JM) but come on. This contest was rigged! and the fact that he looked much better with the off the side support of the backboard, under the legs dunk than the BG off the side of the backboard windmill and somehow BG got more points for it? WTF?

Sly Guy
02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
he also had the best dunk of the contest last year. side backboard windwill dunk. Yes he did bring some weakstuff to the finals, but none of these other guys had real good dunks other than McGee with the reverse.

and yes, he wasn't selected to dunk in this year's contest cuz Jennings was supposed to. But you could always imagine what he had planned for the finals.

He also had the best arguably best dunk of the night again this year (or even a tie with JM) but come on. This contest was rigged! and the fact that he looked much better with the off the side support of the backboard, under the legs dunk than the BG off the side of the backboard windmill and somehow BG got more points for it? WTF?

It was the 'power' of the dunk. Whatever that means.

Sadds The Gr8
02-22-2011, 03:57 PM

Griffin did that on both his first round dunks.

I know... Blake was the worst dunker of the night, period. DD balled and should have been in the final.

John Hollinger
"In truth, McGee should have been facing DeMar DeRozan in the final instead of Griffin, but the hometown Los Angeles crowd swayed the judges heavily in Griffin's favor. In particular, Griffin received 46 points on a first-round dunk from a pass off the side of the backboard. DeRozan did the same thing, except he passed the ball between his legs after the catch -- a far more difficult maneuver. Nonetheless, he only got 44 points for his effort. Given that Griffin beat out DeRozan by a point for entry into the final, it was a grievous judging error.

Between Ibaka's free throw line dunk, the DeRozan swoop, the DeRozan between-the-legs dunk and the McGee dunks with two rims and three balls, there were five iconic dunks in the first round.

None of those, you'll notice, were by the winner. Griffin had two misses on what would have been spectacular windmill dunks on his first try and ended up settling for a less emphatic jam on the one he actually made. Nonetheless, he received an incredibly generous score of 49 for that one. Nonetheless, I'm not sure the excitement in the arena every time Griffin walked up could be accurately conveyed on television. It's not necessarily fair, but it's the reason he won."

i said that exact same thing. how the hell did Demar's east bay funk remix get less pts than Blake's windmill...

Sadds The Gr8
02-22-2011, 04:01 PM

wtf does that have to do with anything? who said he deserved to win? all ppl said was that he deserved to be in the final with Mcgee, which he prolly woulda won anyways cuz Mcgee clearly run out of ideas.

AntiG
02-22-2011, 04:21 PM
DeRozan had the best 1st round and got crap. It should have been between him and McGee in the final, not Blake.

20R8ersfaN08
02-22-2011, 04:23 PM
I went to Junior High with Demar.....I didnt talk to him but I would see him play bball all the time...he stood out n was the only one who could dunk at the time...
IMO he deserved it...the one handed reverse dunk was the sickest dunk I have ever seen...the first one was good too and robbed him in that dunk even tho it took him more than once to get it down

zambo4president
02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Demar's a real cat. I like him now. The contest was beyond rigged too.

Mile High Champ
02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
I was talking it over with a few buddies and it is our belief that each attempted dunk after your first dunk attempt results in negative one point from your total score. Example, if the judges give you a 48 and it took you 3 chances to get it down, you get a 45. I think it would help clean up the garbage in the contest.

Sadds The Gr8
02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
I was talking it over with a few buddies and it is our belief that each attempted dunk after your first dunk attempt results in negative one point from your total score. Example, if the judges give you a 48 and it took you 3 chances to get it down, you get a 45. I think it would help clean up the garbage in the contest.

that's a great idea.

shep33
02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
I love it Demar. Completely right. The best dunks of the contest had no props....

-Derozan's show stopper
-Blake's elbow oop
-Serge's freethrow line dunk

tangent12
02-22-2011, 04:31 PM
He mad.

knicksfan42
02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Robbed on the first dunk. 44 for an off the side of the backboard alley-oop between the legs dunk is ridiculous.

Giaps
02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Derozan had the best pure dunk in the entire contest. I agree with him on the props. They are good in moderation, but a lot of that was excessive.

JeffG20
02-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Meh, I'm more pissed that I have to sit through 5-7 attempts on a dunk per player

Vikes_Fan04
02-22-2011, 04:35 PM
DeMar is right. The man should of gotten a higher score, plus he didn't take a lot of attempts. It would be funny though if he had props lined up for the final round and is mad because he couldn't use them for the final round.

SF25
02-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Happy to see someone come out and say it. Dunk contest are about your dunking ability, not about one person just being more creative then another.

Baller1
Ibaka and Demar should've been in the finals.

AntiG
I love it Demar. Completely right. The best dunks of the contest had no props....

-Derozan's show stopper
-Blake's elbow oop
-Serge's freethrow line dunk

The Show Stopper and the East Bay Funk Remix were the two best ones in the entire contest.

kylem4711
02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
good job blake.

Steelers23_06
02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
there are only so many dunks you can really do. i like the props.

the_jon
02-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Happy to see someone come out and say it. Dunk contest are about your dunking ability, not about one person just being more creative then another.
Well actually creativity is part of dunking. I think the general consensus is that using props is very UNcreative and therefore cheapens the whole thing.

Kryptonite8383
02-22-2011, 04:47 PM
I thought Ibaka got robbed more than Derozen.

sixer04fan
02-22-2011, 04:49 PM
They should definitely ban props. Agreed.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
02-22-2011, 04:51 PM

ehhhh, one would argue that a second hoop is just a prop. that dunk was just plain amazing tho

derozans dunk thats in alotta sigs right now (my favorite of the night) was just straight up bananas.

the harder the dunk is to explain to someone who didnt see it, the better.

Knickrocketsfan
02-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Derozan got robbed. Blake had his whack car dunk and the judges knew. Simillar to nate getting threw for his krypto nate dunk. Blake dunk lasck creatvitity and like I said numerous times he stole ALL HIS DUNKS FROM NBA LIVE AND 2K!!

firm_standing
02-22-2011, 05:00 PM
I like props but this year they took it too far. As many of you have said, when a prop is used to show athleticism it is a great thing.

Unfortunately, I think the NBA is only going to go farther down this direction. Its all about PR and endorsements.

This link talks about how tv ratings have never been higher -- http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/2/21/2005834/2011-nba-all-star-game-ratings-dunk-contest

If Ibaka's free throw link dunk wasn't amazing, I don't know what is.

Create
02-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Guys a beast.

td0tsfinest
02-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Derozan had the best pure dunk in the entire contest. I agree with him on the props. They are good in moderation, but a lot of that was excessive.

I agree. I don't mind props as long as its in moderation but when you go over the top like Blake did with the final dunk, its just too much.

Sadly, the NBA is not going to do anything about it.

Tuck&Rolle
02-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Agree 100 percent. The dunk contest has become a joke. I also can't stand how we have to watch them try it over and over again till they get it, maybe it's just me but that takes the interest out of it for me.

dtmagnet
02-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Props for speaking your mind Demar, he's right too.

bom tenson
02-22-2011, 05:12 PM
well said demar. he deff wlda gotten more love if it was held in toranto. blake had such a home court advantage.

BALLER R
02-22-2011, 05:14 PM

did you watch the dunk contest..look how much attempts some of the others guys had on their dunks and they still got 50's

BALLER R
02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
hopefully he just goes ham and start dunking everything...iuno how the guy with 2 of the top 5 best dunks of that night not get to the finals..and last year most raptor fans thought he got robbed but this year thats some BS

Gritz
02-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Lmao at the trampoline comment

BALLER R
02-22-2011, 05:27 PM
and the worst part about this is that i dont think those are even his best dunks..he did two of the dunks that he was practicing with jus fly..and there was one that he had trouble with it was the cartwheel dunk..i think he would of did that in the finals

footballer2369
02-22-2011, 05:34 PM
What a shame... We'll have to watch any of the dozen other equally athletic wings...

JJ_JKidd
02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
He should STFU unless he does a dunk that none of us have ever seen like a 360 between the legs or a 360 from the FT line. Or unless he's James White :rolleyes:

aussie
02-22-2011, 09:36 PM
pfft good on him clearly griffin was favoured no way could Griffins 2nd dunk get more then DeMars 1st

knightstemplar
02-22-2011, 09:49 PM

straight outta compton!!!!!!!!!!