PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Grant Hill will one day be in HOF?

Lakeshow86
02-22-2011, 01:35 PM
I think If Bill walton is the the HOF, than Grant Hill should be. Had he been healthy his entire career I think He would go down as one of the top 2 or 3 small forwards to ever play. But unfortunetly, he was injured for most of his prime years during his stint with Orlando. But Bill walton was injured alot too and he didnt have the kind of numbers Hill had when he did play.

J4KOP99
02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Easy there. Do you understand how ****ing good Walton was?

PhillyFaninLA
02-22-2011, 01:54 PM
The Hall of Fame is the basketball HOF not the NBA hall of fame.

Grant Hill had a great college career on a storied team and he had a borderline hall of fame NBA career that injuries is the only reason I don't call him a lock.

Taking into account his college and NBA career he should be a lock, whether first ballot or not.

whitemamba33
02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
I've heard a lot of HOF questions on these boards..but this is probably the weakest so far.

I have sympathy for Grant Hill. He COULD have been a hall of famer..but he wasn't. And the HOF isn't going to start letting in people who COULD have been good enough had they not been injured.

Bill Walton won 2 championships, a league MVP and a finals MVP. He also had an outstanding college career, which is also taken into consideration for HOF entry. I don't understand how you can make a topic comparing the two and not bring that up. That is why there are so many useless threads here....because people don't think before they post.

Savage Sunday
02-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Grant Hill will be in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Likely will not be 1st Ballot.

Reasons:

- Great college career at Duke where he won a NC and was one of the top players in the country during his career there

- Grant Hill during his first 5 seasons was among the top 5 players in the NBA. Voters will be willing to suggest that if Hill hadn't gotten injured he would've carried those stats for multiple seasons into the 2000's.

- Grant Hill actually came back from his injuries. Most players get hurt that severely and retire. Grant Hill since then has played 6 seasons of 50+ games or more and done so effectively as a starting SF.

- Grant Hill is a great guy. Never was a controversial player and all of his work off the court will come back to give him a big boost from the voters. They actually do care about that stuff.

whitemamba33
02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Grant Hill will be in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Likely will not be 1st Ballot.

Reasons:

- Great college career at Duke where he won a NC and was one of the top players in the country during his career there

- Grant Hill during his first 5 seasons was among the top 5 players in the NBA. Voters will be willing to suggest that if Hill hadn't gotten injured he would've carried those stats for multiple seasons into the 2000's.

- Grant Hill actually came back from his injuries. Most players get hurt that severely and retire. Grant Hill since then has played 6 seasons of 50+ games or more and done so effectively as a starting SF.

- Grant Hill is a great guy. Never was a controversial player and all of his work off the court will come back to give him a big boost from the voters. They actually do care about that stuff.

The bold isn't going to help him. The rest isn't enough.

Savage Sunday
02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
I've heard a lot of HOF questions on these boards..but this is probably the weakest so far.

I have sympathy for Grant Hill. He COULD have been a hall of famer..but he wasn't. And the HOF isn't going to start letting in people who COULD have been good enough had they not been injured.

Bill Walton won 2 championships, a league MVP and a finals MVP. He also had an outstanding college career, which is also taken into consideration for HOF entry. I don't understand how you can make a topic comparing the two and not bring that up. That is why there are so many useless threads here....because people don't think before they post.

Disagree.

Grant Hill's first 5 years statistically have never been matched by any player who isn't in the Hall of Fame or heading to it. The only player close enough who likely wont make it is Penny Hardaway, and thats because he never came close to his old form after getting hurt and faded away slowly.

If LeBron James blew out his knee in the 2008-2009 season and was never able to re-gain his old form for the rest of his career, anybody who was living that saw him play will be willing to tell you that if he didnt get hurt he would've continued on with his greatness. That knowledge alone would've put LeBron in the HOF.

Grant Hill is the real-life scenario of that. Everyone who witnessed him play saw he was already Elite and was still getting better as a player.

thekmp211
02-22-2011, 02:17 PM
^^ not really how it works, though. penny's prime wasn't even that good, tbh, hill was a much better player at his peak. if he'd won a ring or an mvp, i'd say maybe, but i have to go with a no for now.

definitely wouldn't be upset if he did get in. the man was an absolute monster before his injuries.

Savage Sunday
02-22-2011, 02:19 PM
The bold isn't going to help him. The rest isn't enough.

Well explain to me why Drazen Petrovic is in the Basketball Hall of Fame. :)

Before you respond with "He had a great European career". There are 15+ greater European players who have not been enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame. The fact he was successful in the NBA and likely would've continued that success had he not died is a huge reason why he was enshrined.

So please dont tell me that they dont think of the "What If's" when voting on certain guys.

Chronz
02-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I wish players would come out and say what a joke it is to be selected and stop saying its such an honor

whitemamba33
02-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Disagree.

Grant Hill's first 5 years statistically have never been matched by any player who isn't in the Hall of Fame or heading to it. The only player close enough who likely wont make it is Penny Hardaway, and thats because he never came close to his old form after getting hurt and faded away slowly.

If LeBron James blew out his knee in the 2008-2009 season and was never able to re-gain his old form for the rest of his career, anybody who was living that saw him play will be willing to tell you that if he didnt get hurt he would've continued on with his greatness. That knowledge alone would've put LeBron in the HOF.Grant Hill is the real-life scenario of that. Everyone who witnessed him play saw he was already Elite and was still getting better as a player.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Also, whiel the numbers aren't the same type because Grant Hill isn't a big man, I'd argue that Spencer Haywood's numbers in his first five seasons were more impressive....AND the man won an NBA ring. These are the kind of things that are going to come up when Grant Hill is being discussed.

Savage Sunday
02-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I wish players would come out and say what a joke it is to be selected and stop saying its such an honor

A joke? Really? It will be a joke if they let fans vote and Yao Ming goes in on the first ballot.

whitemamba33
02-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Well explain to me why Drazen Petrovic is in the Basketball Hall of Fame. :)

Before you respond with "He had a great European career". There are 15+ greater European players who have not been enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame. The fact he was successful in the NBA and likely would've continued that success had he not died is a huge reason why he was enshrined.

So please dont tell me that they dont think of the "What If's" when voting on certain guys.

lol When Grant HIll puts up 112 points in a game, we'll talk.

And the NBA takes into consideration players who have contributed to the games in more ways than just playing..and in Drazen's case, he was credited as paving the way for Euro players in the NBA.

They don't consider "what ifs"...Drazen had done enough.

Savage Sunday
02-22-2011, 02:36 PM
lol When Grant HIll puts up 112 points in a game, we'll talk.

Corey Fisher, Villanova PG, dropped 100 in a game.

Dajuan Wagner, former Cavs SG, dropped 100 in a game.

Its special, but not a sign of greatness.

whitemamba33
02-22-2011, 02:40 PM

In..highschool?

whitemamba33
02-22-2011, 02:41 PM

...in highschool?

And really...do you want to argue who had the bigger contribution to basketball between Grant Hill and Petrovic? Think long and hard. EDIT half hour later: I didn't think you did.

JNA17
02-22-2011, 02:50 PM
No, not even close. It's a shame he could have been, but injures held him back completely.

Bravo95
02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
I say yes. He's had a better playing career (college and pro) than most of these role players who were elected to the HOF because of who they played alongside.