PDA

View Full Version : Where is the loyaty?

ajnapoleon
02-22-2011, 09:40 AM
I will tell you there is none! Why would a player waste his youth at a place that will not pit the pieces around him to win? I would leave too and those that say what about the team that picked you and the fans? When you get old they will trade you and say it's best for the team when you get old. Look out for yourself.

Iron24th
02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Good point.

There's no loyalty,teams or players always will make what's best for them.

barreleffact
02-22-2011, 09:58 AM
That's the way it honestly should be. Noone will look out for your better than you.

PhillyFaninLA
02-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Players loyalty is to themselves, friends, and families and that's the way it should be.

Owners and the front office have a duty to run a profitable franchise and try and create the best product they can.

Fans have loyalty to teams and no one else really does or needs to. I've been a Sixers fan ever since I can remember and I've seen at least 2 owners, I can't even guess how many coaches, and countless players. Fans are loyal and around longer then anyone else. Loyalty is for the fans and thats the only place it needs to be.

Crackadalic
02-22-2011, 10:03 AM
I remember Melo was so piss that the nuggets traded Camby for a 2nd round pick. Granted they got billups later on but that wasnt a move they would make melo think he should

knicks_champ
02-22-2011, 10:04 AM
You must understand that sports these days is a business. Owners and GM's are not always loyal, why should the players be. Business is business.

tdunk21
02-22-2011, 10:12 AM
a very good thread....

there is no place for loyalty towards fans in sports....its a business....owners do what they have to do, and players do what they have to do....its the fans who are loyal to their teams no matter what happens.....

omdigga
02-22-2011, 10:13 AM
i think you find most loyalty at the bank...

LanceUpperCut
02-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I do believe you look out for your self but I'm getting sick of the whole "they didn't build around him" argument most of the time that's just another way of saying, I ate up all the cap space, couldn't lead my team nowhere and choked when it mattered but that's not my fault.

ddhulett
02-22-2011, 10:24 AM
I understand with Melo he wanted to go back Home, I would as well. Denver got a pretty good deal with the trade. In Bosh and Lebron they left Toronto and Cleveland with a bag of marbles and did it to play in Miami not their home.

Still loyal players, Dirk went back to my team the Mavs this past year because in his words this is home and he wants to bring a championship here not chase one.

KG tried in Mini, Duncan and Kobe are loyal. The young guys are weak I guess and want to make as easy as possible. We will see I hope the NBA gets the franchise tag

startrak140
02-22-2011, 10:24 AM
7 years with one team? this thread is about loyalty? #cmonson

LOOTERX9
02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Where was the loyalty for BILLUPS?! He said he wanted to stay in denver. But Denver front office traded him anyway. They could have kept him and not added felton but denver dumped him cause of billups $14 million dollar option next season

LanceUpperCut
02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
]I understand with Melo he wanted to go back Home, I would as well.[/B] Denver got a pretty good deal with the trade. In Bosh and Lebron they left Toronto and Cleveland with a bag of marbles and did it to play in Miami not their home.

Still loyal players, Dirk went back to my team the Mavs this past year because in his words this is home and he wants to bring a championship here not chase one.

KG tried in Mini, Duncan and Kobe are loyal. The young guys are weak I guess and want to make as easy as possible. We will see I hope the NBA gets the franchise tag

Isn't Melo from Baltimore.

AIRMAR72
02-22-2011, 10:30 AM
those are the reason why fans should respect bron decision to leave da cavs ITS ABOUT BUSINESS not loyalty

el_primo_nano
02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
where is the loyalty when owner trade players who signed for them thinking they would play there for 3-4 players? Where is the loyalty when that player has to tell his 5 year old that he wont be hanging out with Jimmy next door because they have to move? Where is the loyalty when a player gets cut and has to move his family again, after finally settling down? hmmmmmmmmm. Loyalty goes both ways playboy..

JayAllDay
02-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Loyalty exists.

So does ****** GMs and even worse owners.

ajnapoleon
02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
And as a player you only have maybe 10 years to play at your highest level if you see your front office messing around you do what you gotta do!..I'm telling you these guys grew up watching Garnett and seen what happend in minny...

tangent12
02-22-2011, 11:25 AM
The loyalty should be to yourself and your well being.

Everyone is looking out for their own good so of course you should too.

DwayneMVPwade
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
No such thing as loyalty anymore

Hellcrooner
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Question.

Lets say you are born and raised in L.A , you grow up loving the lakers you despise boston to death, you go and play hs in L.A then Go to Ucla, boston makes you completely sick.
And go figure......Boston Drafts you.
Ok those are the rules, you have to put up with it for your rookie contract, and then 1 qualifying offer year.
wouldnt it be logical since you hate boston with a passion that you would want to go out at first time that its posible?

NYKalltheway
02-22-2011, 06:02 PM
The NBA does not allow loyalty. It's not an organization that is based on loyalty, not my fault for stating it.

So Melo and Lebron are not loyal to their organizations? Why? Because the first wanted to be in a place he and his wife has ties to and also it's the best possible work place for his wife? And Lebron? For wanting to have a chance to win the championship? In his last 2 Cavs year he was playing by himself! You can't ask for more!

So how do we calculate loyalty? Is it just for the star players? How about the franchises?
Knicks just tossed Gallinari, Chandler, Mozgov and Felton out of which, all four LOVED IT THERE. It's the system. It does not allow the team to choose who they keep and who they don't, at least from their 2nd tier players.

1) Players don't choose where they get to play in the first place
2) Players can be moved around throughout the States just because they are traded
3) Domestic players are brought up in a competitive environment where they are forced to have no ties with the place they grow up in. You live till high school in the East coast, go to college in California and you get to play pro in Texas... Money drives people more than ties to locations and teams, it's how the system works

And now, you come here to say that the one and only chance a player has to choose where to play is an act of disloyalty? Loyalty to whom?
Just check the history of 1/3 of the NBA players. Most have been to at least 3 teams and probably none of them was their actual choice!

Don't hate the player, hate the game ;)

Create
02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
It's a business man.

haggis
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Question.

Lets say you are born and raised in L.A , you grow up loving the lakers you despise boston to death, you go and play hs in L.A then Go to Ucla, boston makes you completely sick.
Ok those are the rules, you have to put up with it for your rookie contract, and then 1 qualifying offer year.
wouldnt it be logical since you hate boston with a passion that you would want to go out at first time that its posible?

You just described Paul Pierce minus the UCLA part.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Loyalt goes both ways. like a few ppl mentiond

TornadoOfSouls
02-22-2011, 07:45 PM
those are the reason why fans should respect bron decision to leave da cavs ITS ABOUT BUSINESS not loyalty

I'd have respected his decision more if he didn't organize that ridiculous one hour special on tv. That takes egotistical to a new level. I have no problem with him bolting to another team. It's HOW he did it that bugged me.

MFFL==FML
02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Where is the spell check? "loyaty"

stlbest5in2013
02-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Isn't Melo from Baltimore.

nope he is from ny, but lived in baltimore since the age of 8

just like mj is from new york, but his family moved to NC when he was a toddler.

but eminem is from detroit, but was born in st charles missouri. only in ny can you not spend the majority of your life there, and still be from there.

stlbest5in2013
02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Where is the spell check? "loyaty"

where is your life???

Ray_R
02-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Question.

Lets say you are born and raised in L.A , you grow up loving the lakers you despise boston to death, you go and play hs in L.A then Go to Kansas, boston makes you completely sick.
Fixed

You just described Paul Pierce minus the UCLA part.
I was thnking that also when I was reading it.

Legitimate
02-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Where's the loyalty to Monta Ellis, first you gotta show him some respect in order to make this thread topic bro.

justinnum1
02-22-2011, 08:14 PM
NBA is a business

Ray_R
02-22-2011, 08:14 PM
nope he is from ny, but lived in baltimore since the age of 8

just like mj is from new york, but his family moved to NC when he was a toddler.

but eminem is from detroit, but was born in st charles missouri. only in ny can you not spend the majority of your life there, and still be from there.

I dont think that means much. I actually think they take pride where they were raised.

John Walls Era
02-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Only the fans are loyal at the end of the day.

Sixerlover
02-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Only the fans are loyal at the end of the day.

Not even in the NBA! We're voted as the #1 league that has fans of players and not teams :laugh2:

But all jokes aside, loyalty is gone in life for a majority of people, and the NBA is only a microcosm of society. I'll always be loyal to my Sixers though

JasonJohnHorn
02-22-2011, 09:01 PM
I dont think this works in all situations. Look at a team like Boston, they kept Bird and McHale and Johnson till they retired, and Russell and a number of other players as well. Parish left, but that was his own choice, they would have let him retire in Boston if he wanted. They treated Reggie Lewis and his family well, and Pierce as well.

The same can be said for the Spurs. They treated Sean Elliot well, and Robinson, and Duncan, they give their guys good contracts and offer them coaching and front office positions. SA, like Boston, is a family.

Now a guy like Bosh (and I am a Toronto fan saying this), had every reason to leave. He was draft by a bad team that got good fast, had a COTY in Mitchell, were in the playoffs, and then Colangelo took over, fired a good coach, drafted $#!T players and turned the team into a perenial cellar dweller. Bosh had every reason to leave. The FO was ineffective, past up on great players in the draft... EVERY YEAR and by the time his contract was up, there just wasnt anything there. He had good call to leave.

It a team treats you well and puts good pieces around you, I see nothing wrong with showing loyalty. If a FO constantly fails you, then yeah, move on when you like.

But bottom line is, you have to do what is right for you.

smith&wesson
02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
nba player loyalty will die when kobe, duncan, & pierce retire.

NYKalltheway
02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
It a team treats you well and puts good pieces around you

This is exactly what is wrong with the NBA.

It's PEOPLE,it's ATHLETES, it's PLAYERS!!! It's not "PIECES"... When the fans start treating players as players, then the whole system might change and treat them good as well. Then loyalty might matter...

WizFan3
02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
true true true

knightstemplar
02-22-2011, 09:56 PM
in the end, its a business

NYKalltheway
02-23-2011, 02:40 PM
But why accept it as a business? It's a sport. There's money involved for sure, but it's a sport. It's basketball.

Someone who accepts that it's a business cannot criticize anything around it. Not the players for leaving, not the gm's for letting players go or anything. It's all part of a "working environment" right?

NBA has become a player-first organization. It's all about ONE player in each team. Some teams have two of that type, some others have three and the Celtics have four for the time being. The NBA disrespects everyone else and allows the "one" player to disrespect the franchise if he wants just because he has the power to (eg Lebron)
How many players that have been drafted in the last 5-6 years are actually team-first guys? It's just how the organization wants to treat and be treated. There's nothing going on that is not part of the program ;)

fire2last
02-23-2011, 02:58 PM

It's a business to the owners and players...not to the fans. Why should I just shrug my shoulders if a player or owner screws over my team. I shouldn't! Because to the fan it IS about loyalty...I don't follow a player, owner, coach...I follow a team and I am loyal to them through thick and thin.

I understand these guys leave for money or rings or because they can. I understand it's about business to them. But because to me sports is about following a team then I won't respect guys who hurt my team by leaving or by trading guys away for garbage.

So to answer the author of this thread's question...the loyalty is in the fans and the fans only.

Go Cavs, Browns, Indians!