PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Defensive W-Share and Defensive Rating

John Walls Era
02-22-2011, 03:43 AM
Which is a better measurement of defensive ability? I am interested in knowing...

Chronz
02-22-2011, 10:59 PM
The 2 are basically one and the same, with one being cumulative the other being the raw average.

Think of it as looking at PPG vs Pts Scored on the season. Both matter but in this case neither are all that telling.You have to factor in his teams success and his own historical contributions. It will still underrate guys who play positional defense but its better than looking at BLK/STL

JordansBulls
02-23-2011, 01:20 AM
The 2 are basically one and the same, with one being cumulative the other being the raw average.

Think of it as looking at PPG vs Pts Scored on the season. Both matter but in this case neither are all that telling.You have to factor in his teams success and his own historical contributions. It will still underrate guys who play positional defense but its better than looking at BLK/STL

This

John Walls Era
02-23-2011, 03:57 AM

I see. I was just curious because I was looking at Pau Gasol vs Chris Bosh. Gasol has a higher DWS, yet a lower D-Rating.

footballer2369
02-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Those two go hand in hand. Lower D rating= good, higher DWS= good.