PDA

View Full Version : What Grade Would You Give the Nuggets FO?

Mudvayne91
02-22-2011, 02:57 AM
I'm curious to see what the PSD community thinks of this trade for the Nuggets, so I made a poll. Put your opinion too if you want.

Just as a reminder

Knicks receive - Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Renaldo Balkman, and Anthony Carter.

Nuggets recieve - Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler, the Knicks’ 2014 first-round pick, two second-round picks the Golden State Warriors and $3 million in cash.

Kyben36
02-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Easy A, they got alot for a player who was going to leave them in the offseason anyway.

HeaTxRipZz
02-22-2011, 03:03 AM
I'd say an A. They went for proven talent than a Project in favors and a load of draft picks. Either deal was good but I'm more of a proven talent guy

Chi StateOfMind
02-22-2011, 03:07 AM
An A for sure they raped the knicks HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

WatWoudJordanDo
02-22-2011, 03:08 AM
i said B, but it was more of an A-/B+ and solely for the way the handled the whole thing. I give them their dues for getting as good a deal as they could get but I feel they were the #2 cause in the actual Melo-drama(#1 being the media). This was cemented when they pretty much told NYK if another word about negotiations shows up in the media were trading him to NJ, like A) NJ doesnt have its own leaks and B) really?! this isnt UN war secrets, its the ****ing NBA trade market, chill out and stop taking yourself so seriously

JNA17
02-22-2011, 03:10 AM
A for this trade, and A+ for annoying the **** out of everyone the last 5 or so months.

Coupon
02-22-2011, 03:22 AM
Of course the Knicks could have just waited for the off-season and signed Anthony. He wasn't going to sign with a denuded Nets team after any trade and he wasn't going to sign with the Nuggets. Denver's front office realized they were dealing with the idiot son, though, and with the help of the Russian, panicked him into giving away most of his starters in this trade. The Nuggets F.O. gets an A and Dolan gets an F.

What the rest of the country has seen play out here is a microcosm of why the Knicks have been a disaster the last 10 years - even in a league that tries as hard as it can to boost big market teams. James Dolan's only saving grace is that he's a giant millstone around David Stern's neck. Unfortunately he's a much bigger millstone around Knick fans' necks.

beasted86
02-22-2011, 03:26 AM
B

They gave away the 2 best players in the deal, and if they traded him before the season started, they might have been able to screw over a team far worse.

goblazers7
02-22-2011, 03:31 AM
8 because its red

BlueJayFanDan
02-22-2011, 03:33 AM
A+++++

The guy wanted out at the end of the offseason. They could have let him wait and just walk for nothing. They could have taken some ****** offer just to get something in return for the guy. Instead they go out and get 4 players all in their young 20s who can all contribute in a lot of ways. Felton is not an elite point guard but he has really developed into a nice player and he has become a fantastic passer and scorer. Gallinari hits huge shots. He is a bit soft on defense but he can certainly help on offense. Wilson Chandler is very good young player. Can get rebounds and score a lot of points. Mozgov is a giant center. He will develop into a fantastic player. They also got draft picks which are hit or miss and some cash. All for a guy who was going to walk a few months anyways. Incredible trade. Sure they gave away a superstar and some other talent but they got considerably younger and a lot deeper and are going to be lethal down the road if they can build nicely around these guys.

Mudvayne91
02-22-2011, 03:34 AM
Yeah, too bad they were still in denial at that time.

kyubi256
02-22-2011, 03:45 AM
A+++ but doesn't mean the Knicks don't deserve a good grade either.

They just took nothing and got A LOT OF SOMETHING from it

TheBatchelor213
02-22-2011, 03:49 AM
A for sure, but its going to be interesting to see what they do with Felton....I would love to see them play for a strong playoff push, even without Melo, the team has tons to play for, between Felton, K Marts expiring, and the picks, they could still be big players in the playoffs.

Bulls_fan90
02-22-2011, 04:00 AM
B

They gave away the 2 best players in the deal, and if they traded him before the season started, they might have been able to screw over a team far worse.

That doesn't even make sense. Melo made it clear he wouldn't sign an extension with just any team. It really made no difference when they traded him.

A+ imo. Compare this trade to how teams got Bosh, Lebron, Amare and Boozer.

Mudvayne91
02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I think under the circumstances, they did well. I will say I thought Masai Uriji and Josh Kroenke had a situation that was way over their head as I'm sure a lot of other people thought.

SteveNash
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Incomplete for now, still need to make some more moves. If they try to stand pat with their current team, then they get an F.

JordansBulls
02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Considering his contract was up at the end of the season and the trade deadline was 3 days away, I'd say an "A" since they got young pieces for someone who wasnt going to resign with them.

TheDiggler
02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
B so far.

justinnum1
02-22-2011, 06:21 PM
A+

Create
02-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Why isn't Q an option.

killbumdeluxe13
02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
A+, melo was leaving regardless and they got 3/5 of the starting lineup from one of the highest scoring teams in the league. Chandler/Gallo/Felon score about 50 ppg combined. To be totally honest, for as great as Melo is he didnt accomplish much in Denver. This deal was a phenomenal one for Denver, they get three very good young players to build around.

NYKalltheway
02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
B

Melo was leaving anyway. They gained something.
They got 3 youngsters to evaluate in the next 3-4 months + a good Point Guard in Felton.
They managed to get rid of 3 role players + Billups' huge contract.

It's not an A as they could have pushed for a 1st rounder from Minessota while that went to the Knicks I think... Knicks' 1st rounder in 2014 will probably not mean much, but the Golden State 2nd rounders are not bad

Slimsim
02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
A+

onlythisfar41
02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Whats funny is that for months all of us Knick fans have been talking about how great some of our pieces were (Chandler, Gallo, Felton) and more times then not we would get blasted about how we overrated all of them and that they were nothing more then solid role players. Now we trade them and in return get a superstar and a very good an playoff proven point guard, and all of a sudden everyone is saying how great the players we traded were and that we got raped in the deal...come on guys make up your mind. Yea i liked the players we gave up but we were a .500 team with them and now were geared up to be a legitimate playoff threat over the next few years. Im happy, knicks fans are happy, thats that.

Mudvayne91
02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Why isn't Q an option.

I didn't realize there was a Q grade.

Albrecht Duerer
02-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Easy A, they got alot for a player who was going to leave them in the offseason anyway.

Not only that but they maintained their discipline and won the game of chicken. They dared the Knicks to leave it to chance (meaning hope Anthony passes up the money and signs with NYK) and the Knicks flinched first.

The Nuggets played their hand very well.

Gram
02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
A.

Chronz
02-22-2011, 06:52 PM
B

You obviously didnt see the trash people were offering early, their best move was holding out. Its NY that ****ed up

bahama0811
02-22-2011, 06:54 PM
A+, I'm shocked the Nuggets FO got that much in return. The only part I don't like is that Chauncey had to be moved too.

WizFan3
02-22-2011, 06:58 PM
idk much bot them but ik that the trade they pulled off yesterday was fantastic good job den he needed to go now lawson gets to stat and will develop even more and felton wil help mentor him kinda like wall and hinrich and wilson chandler and gallo even tho den dnt plan to keep him

dnewguy
02-22-2011, 07:02 PM
A+ Melo was leaving after this season anyways, and he had no intentions of signing with the Nets. Not only did the Nuggets get solid players from the Knicks, they also got the biggest trade exception in NBA history. The NYK's front office has no patience, neither are they practical. Radical thinking often leads to failure and I think they got Melo with no plan for the future.

mudvayne387
02-22-2011, 07:07 PM
How can anyone give them an "A" ?

They couldn't retain Carmello

They couldn't complete a trade with the Nets (Better Offer)

They received two players on short term contracts (Chandler and Felton) a 6'10 player who plays like he is 6'1, and an uncoordinated prospect who is overpaid.

I give them a C+ because they did acquire some picks, and may be able to salvage some more with the incoming players.

dnewguy
02-22-2011, 07:16 PM

They received two players on short term contracts (Chandler and Felton) a 6'10 player who plays like he is 6'1, and an uncoordinated prospect who is overpaid.

I give them a C+ because they did acquire some picks, and may be able to salvage some more with the incoming players.

We didn't grade them for what they couldn't do, Melo wanted to go back home and they couldn't do anything about it. We graded them for doing the best with the situation they found themselves in.

Mudvayne91
02-22-2011, 07:21 PM
We didn't grade them for what they couldn't do, Melo wanted to go back home and they couldn't do anything about it. We graded them for doing the best with the situation they found themselves in.

That's how I see it. Maybe Melo would've budged at the last minute to sign an extension with the Nets, but I don't think he really was that interested.

But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's why I wanted to make this thread. Get a collective idea of what everyone thought on the trade. Knicks fans and Nuggets fans input can be a bit biased.

JasonJohnHorn
02-22-2011, 08:34 PM
I think the Nuggets should just call up the Nets and GIVE them a first round draft pick and a HUGE thank you! If NJ hadnt put the pressure on NY, Denver wouldnt have been able to get jack!

Going in to the trade dead line countdown, if I had been Denver, I would have been happy with just about anything for Melo, knowing that I'd loose him for nothing in the offseason. These guys just made their team one of the deepest in the league. Got a young PG, they already had a big scorer in Harrington to pick up some of Melo's slack, but now they just added a young center who looks like he may very well develop into a double-double shot blocker, another long SF in Galinari (who I'm not a fan of) a 1st rounder AND some depth in the front court with Chandler. For one guy? Seriously? They pulled this off but good!

NJ: A+ (made their division rival gut their roster)
Denver: A+ (just kept pushing for more, and got Mozgov and a 1st rounder)
Walsh: A+ (refused to give up more than they should)
James Dolan: F- (gutted a perfectly good roster for a player he would have got for next nothing other than a fat contract in the offseason).

ewmania
02-22-2011, 08:49 PM
B+

I wouldnt say they "raped" us because we got a superstar out of the deal, a first round pick, championship vet chauncy and young stud in corey brewer, rebounder in shelden williams something we lack and a defensive energy roleplayer in balkman

now we have two superstars we cant build around and this deal also saves us in some cap space for 2012 to get another star.

but I also think denver got a nice deal in this too they have felton and danilo if they keep nene and lawson, afflalo thats a nice team right there they can build on

the deal worked out in both ways if you ask me.. people say what you want about melo but he's in the top 4 of best scorers in the league and he creates double teams something amare will need to take less stress off him

COOLbeans
02-22-2011, 09:53 PM
all things considered, very good trade for the Nuggets. Are you kidding me.. if they trade Felton to start Lawson.

Mudvayne91
02-23-2011, 12:22 AM
all things considered, very good trade for the Nuggets. Are you kidding me.. if they trade Felton to start Lawson.

Is it a bad idea.... or good?

blastmasta26
02-23-2011, 01:00 AM
A+ Melo was leaving after this season anyways, and he had no intentions of signing with the Nets. Not only did the Nuggets get solid players from the Knicks, they also got the biggest trade exception in NBA history. The NYK's front office has no patience, neither are they practical. Radical thinking often leads to failure and I think they got Melo with no plan for the future.
The front office, namely Donnie Walsh, epitomizes patience. However, Dolan's interference allowed Denver to capitalize on his desperation.

Denver deserves an A though. They maximized the return on a player that wanted out. I don't think we necessarily got raped on the deal, but we could've given up less for sure.

LeonFSU
02-23-2011, 01:02 AM
A.

The best part of the trade is that JR Smith will hopefully see more playing time, and produce numbers like he did tonight more consistently.

26 pts, 8 rebs, 5 assists (6-11 3PT FGs)

blastmasta26
02-23-2011, 01:05 AM
A.

The best part of the trade is that JR Smith will hopefully see more playing time, and produce numbers like he did tonight more consistently.

26 pts, 8 rebs, 5 assists (6-11 3PT FGs)
Consistency is not something I would expect from Smith, but maybe he could improve. Lawson will also get more opportunities for now since Felton is unfamiliar with the team.

Lindystud36
02-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Denver did work in this trade
But If Denver can somehow move felton, and mozgov for first round picks form the Nets Wow
Also Gallo can slot in at the 3 and that team is equally set in my own opinion because jr smith and nene can step up and take the team over
Plus the future they can draft college kids in rounds 1 and then round 2 get european talent to grow over seas
Love the trade for the Nuggs

Also love it for the Knicks because they took a different rebuilding stragety, imo the knicks wil be ok this season, but its next year when they add depth and in 2012 when they grab deron they will be truly great. Though they will stil have a 3 year wait, this year celts or lakers win it, next year lakers or heat, then its a tough battle at the top

LA_Raiders
02-23-2011, 01:26 AM
NY gave way too much, They should have waited. Melo was goingto leave Den anyway

icej
02-23-2011, 01:28 AM

On the contrary, how can anyone NOT give them an A?

They couldn't retain Carmello- Even if they could,--the underestimated fact about it, is that they have NOT gone very far with Melo around, so why not try to fix something that doesn't work (given a chance). Remember when the nuggets got that roster in place a couple of years ago they are widely favored as contenders, yet where are the nuggets these couple of yrs?
They have one of the deepest roster in the league now, they have money to spend, and now they have a lot of potential trade chips and draft picks that they got out of almost nothing (Melo is leaving eventually). If that ain't a great deal I don't know what is.

They received two players on short term contracts (Chandler and Felton) Again who in the league right now doesn't want to get a Chandler 16 pts a game and a Felton 17 pts 9 asst a game? That is probably the best trade bait any team could ever wish.

a 6'10 player who plays like he is 6'1, and an uncoordinated prospect who is overpaid - - correction: A 6'10 that plays SF and can shoot the lights out any given night. The only probable downside in Galo's play is his defense, but heck, so do Melo. I would not be surprised if Galo took over Melo's place in Nuggets plays and fill in the Melo void successfully.

An A grade is underrated for the Nuggets FO success in this trade.

The fact the coach Karl like this trade so much tells you something.
"George Karl likes this deal because he gets players that can win now. Trading for a 19-year-old Derrick Favors never appealed to him."

http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

Oh, and rumor is that Walsh may also walk come April, because he is rumored very disappointed how this trade went. (Guess the Issiah-Dolan rumor was true) That should tell you something too.

redhorse
02-23-2011, 01:48 AM
all i kno is if the knicks didnt trade for carmelo the same ppl criticizing this trade would be saying "how can the knicks not make that move?"... "oh they are just overrating their players".."they wouldnt trade FN mozgov?" Now mozgov is a promising young center which I only heard from non knick fans after the deal. Now ppl are praising gallo...Gotta love the HATE any Ny team gets..

JonnyBrav000
02-23-2011, 01:55 AM
I give the Nuggets a B+

And to those who say the Knicks deserve an F... Despite Anthony probably walking away, the Knicks deserve a B, because you never know what Melo would do, would he really throw away 40 million dollars to leave Denver or not sign with NJ? You never know, anyway The Knicks would not have kept Chandler anyway because he is a restricted free agent and it may cost anywhere up to 10 - 12 million+ each year to keep him. It hurts to trade Gallo, and Mozgov is a project. Felton is good, but Chauncey is better for the short term, for the long term, Chauncey's contract does not have to be renewed next year, that money can be used to sign a new Point for less and also bring in Steve Nash off the bench as well. The knicks don't need Chris Paul if they can bring in someone like Tyson Chandler to play center and Steve Nash to play point, alongside someone else. The Knicks have the foundation to be a really, really good team.

redhorse
02-23-2011, 02:07 AM
On the contrary, how can anyone NOT give them an A?

They couldn't retain Carmello- Even if they could,--the underestimated fact about it, is that they have NOT gone very far with Melo around, so why not try to fix something that doesn't work (given a chance). Remember when the nuggets got that roster in place a couple of years ago they are widely favored as contenders, yet where are the nuggets these couple of yrs?
They have one of the deepest roster in the league now, they have money to spend, and now they have a lot of potential trade chips and draft picks that they got out of almost nothing (Melo is leaving eventually). If that ain't a great deal I don't know what is.

They received two players on short term contracts (Chandler and Felton) Again who in the league right now doesn't want to get a Chandler 16 pts a game and a Felton 17 pts 9 asst a game? That is probably the best trade bait any team could ever wish.

a 6'10 player who plays like he is 6'1, and an uncoordinated prospect who is overpaid - - correction: A 6'10 that plays SF and can shoot the lights out any given night. The only probable downside in Galo's play is his defense, but heck, so do Melo. I would not be surprised if Galo took over Melo's place in Nuggets plays and fill in the Melo void successfully.

An A grade is underrated for the Nuggets FO success in this trade.

The fact the coach Karl like this trade so much tells you something.
"George Karl likes this deal because he gets players that can win now. Trading for a 19-year-old Derrick Favors never appealed to him."

http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

Oh, and rumor is that Walsh may also walk come April, because he is rumored very disappointed how this trade went. (Guess the Issiah-Dolan rumor was true) That should tell you something too.

false rumor... he was on the Mike francesa show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS1G0S3pvj0

AddiX
02-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Nuggets did as well as they could with the Knicks.

None of the players we sent will ever been anything special though. Don't let the homer Knick fans tell you different.

Denver better get what they can for them now.

Anilyzer
02-23-2011, 02:31 AM
C or probably C-.

They waited almost a whole year till 3 days from the trade deadline after pulling a lot of ridiculous antics in the media.

Then they end up losing Carmelo AND Billups, two legit All Stars, and they only get back

1 middle first round draft pick
2 second round draft picks
Mosgov, who we know about because he dunked against the Clippers on ESPN
Gallinari, who we know about because he dunked on ESPN
Chandler, who the Knicks were going to let sign elsewhere anywhere
Felton--which does the Knicks a favor because that was a bad longterm contract for them

Knicks also get Corey Brewer and Renaldo Balkman, which will be very useful players on the Knicks.

So... instead of trading Carmelo for an all star level player, they basically get a couple picks and some reserves. Yeah, they feel like they got a bunch of players, but New York is getting 6 players back in this deal, including 2 all stars!!

bottom line: if any of the stuff NY sent them was worth anything, they would've been able to do a better multi-team deal and get a real star back.
But in reality Chandler/Gallinari/Mosgov aren't worth much on the open market. Which is WHY this deal took forever, because NY didn't really have anhything Denver wanted.

But I'll give Denver a C because they were able to do a deal and save face--they threw enough smoke around that they can still say that NJ would've done a deal if the Knicks didn't. Reality is, it was just worth it for the Knicks to get anything this year.

Anilyzer
02-23-2011, 02:36 AM
I give the Nuggets a B+

And to those who say the Knicks deserve an F... Despite Anthony probably walking away, the Knicks deserve a B, because you never know what Melo would do, would he really throw away 40 million dollars to leave Denver or not sign with NJ? You never know, anyway The Knicks would not have kept Chandler anyway because he is a restricted free agent and it may cost anywhere up to 10 - 12 million+ each year to keep him. It hurts to trade Gallo, and Mozgov is a project. Felton is good, but Chauncey is better for the short term, for the long term, Chauncey's contract does not have to be renewed next year, that money can be used to sign a new Point for less and also bring in Steve Nash off the bench as well. The knicks don't need Chris Paul if they can bring in someone like Tyson Chandler to play center and Steve Nash to play point, alongside someone else. The Knicks have the foundation to be a really, really good team.

True. It's pretty obvious that Carmelo's agents were starting to pressure NY, because they didn't want to leave him unsigned going into the offseason labor dispute--too risky for them. So for sure they pressed for a trade.

Also, I'm sure the Knicks got excited about plugging in Anthony now instead of later.

JiffyMix88
02-23-2011, 02:38 AM
the nuggets were bandits and got away

Anilyzer
02-23-2011, 02:39 AM
I'd rather Denver got nothing, but even so they are worse than the Clippers now, with Mosgov at center and Gallinari at SF or whatever.

And wow, they got "cap space" (maybe) but the salary cap probably comes down anyway. And chandler can walk.

For Carmelo?

C-

THE MTL
02-23-2011, 02:40 AM
One rule: You can never be given an "A" or win the trade when u are giving up a top 8 player in the NBA. You just cant say that.

I give them a B. Also, ppl forget that Billups is the second best player in that trade.

They got back alot of value though especially considering the circumstances....

cchrisc773
02-23-2011, 02:47 AM
A. Especially if they turn around a do that 2nd deal with the NETS for 2 round 1 picks as is being discussed.

cchrisc773
02-23-2011, 02:49 AM
C or probably C-.

They waited almost a whole year till 3 days from the trade deadline after pulling a lot of ridiculous antics in the media.

Then they end up losing Carmelo AND Billups, two legit All Stars, and they only get back

1 middle first round draft pick
2 second round draft picks
Mosgov, who we know about because he dunked against the Clippers on ESPN
Gallinari, who we know about because he dunked on ESPN
Chandler, who the Knicks were going to let sign elsewhere anywhere
Felton--which does the Knicks a favor because that was a bad longterm contract for them

Knicks also get Corey Brewer and Renaldo Balkman, which will be very useful players on the Knicks.

So... instead of trading Carmelo for an all star level player, they basically get a couple picks and some reserves. Yeah, they feel like they got a bunch of players, but New York is getting 6 players back in this deal, including 2 all stars!!

bottom line: if any of the stuff NY sent them was worth anything, they would've been able to do a better multi-team deal and get a real star back.
But in reality Chandler/Gallinari/Mosgov aren't worth much on the open market. Which is WHY this deal took forever, because NY didn't really have anhything Denver wanted.

But I'll give Denver a C because they were able to do a deal and save face--they threw enough smoke around that they can still say that NJ would've done a deal if the Knicks didn't. Reality is, it was just worth it for the Knicks to get anything this year.

They are all rumored to be heading to the Nets for 2 round 1 picks. IMO. The Denver Nuggets FO did a great job. However, they did a terrible job handling the whole situation.

Finally. The NETS get a A+ in the whole deal. They knew Carmelo was not coming; however, they forced the Knicks to up there offer and in the end will end up with some solid players the Knicks sent the Nuggets.

D1JM
02-23-2011, 02:55 AM
easy A. and you guys should thank "the russian"

hard_candy
02-23-2011, 03:02 AM
One of the worst polls ever posted. If Denver gets a nickel in return, they'd have to get an 'A.' Just look at Cleveland. Seriously, with a truckload of first round picks and young prospects, add 50 plusses after that A. Oh, and they kept Melo for 2/3 of the season as well, keeping them in contention on top of all of that.

sixer04fan
02-23-2011, 03:04 AM
Denver FO definitely deserves an A here. They made the best of a totally ****** situation. Got some solid young pieces to stay competitive, or rebuild. They have options to go in a lot of directions now.

sixer04fan
02-23-2011, 03:04 AM
One of the worst polls ever posted. If Denver gets a nickel in return, they'd have to get an 'A.' Just look at Cleveland. Seriously, with a truckload of first round picks and young prospects, add 50 plusses after that A. Oh, and they kept Melo for 2/3 of the season as well, keeping them in contention on top of all of that.

This. Along with my post.

Mudvayne91
02-23-2011, 05:08 AM
I'd rather Denver got nothing, but even so they are worse than the Clippers now, with Mosgov at center and Gallinari at SF or whatever.

And wow, they got "cap space" (maybe) but the salary cap probably comes down anyway. And chandler can walk.

For Carmelo?

C-

https://twitter.com/#!/christomasson

Chris Tomasson -

Just talked to Wilson Chandler. Says his goal now is to stay in Denver as a restricted free agent this summer. But it's obviously early.

TopsyTurvy
02-23-2011, 10:19 AM
I gave Denver's front office an A on the condition they are not done moving people yet. All they have to do is move one guy for another early to mid first round pick and they easily 'win' the deal.

Hats off to the Nets who no doubt upped the ante considerably.

Mudvayne91
02-23-2011, 04:07 PM
I had no idea about this, but apparently the Nuggets received a $17 million dollar trade exception as well.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18875

As we reported yesterday, the Denver Nuggets' trade with the New York Knicks is much bigger than most seemed to realize at first. In addition to the draft picks and young talent they fleeced from the Knicks, the Nuggets wound up with a $17.12 trade exception.

Think about that for a second. The Nuggets can now acquire a player or players who make up to $17.12 million and they don't have to send anything back.