PDA

View Full Version : Boston Celtics "trying" to acquire Shane Battier from Rockets

ko8e24
02-21-2011, 10:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6145726

Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has publicly acknowledged the need for backcourt reinforcements thanks to Marquis Daniels' bruised spinal cord and Delonte West's spotty health all season.

After the name of Cleveland's Anthony Parker surfaced Friday as a player that Boston has joined conference rival Chicago in pursuing, sources said Monday that the Celtics and Rockets have likewise discussed the prospect of Shane Battier moving East.

Battier possesses the ideal combination -- veteran know-how with an expiring contract

It's too soon to say whether the teams can reach an agreement on a deal to send Battier to the Celtics, given that Boston's trade chips are limited and since Houston is regarded as one of the most aggressive teams in a conservative market and might need Battier's expiring $7.4 million salary for a bigger move.

As for Parker, Cleveland continues to tell teams that it doesn't want to surrender a player it likes as much as the former Maccabi Tel-Aviv star for a mere draft pick -- even a first-rounder -- when the deep-pocketed Cavs can simply buy picks on draft picks. So it's conceivable that Parker won't be dealt before Thursday's 3 p.m. trading deadline.

Chicago's well-chronicled interest in Houston's Courtney Lee persists as well and discussions between the teams continues. Yet it's not clear there, either, if the teams can come to terms on a trade that works with the Bulls unwilling to part with Taj Gibson and reluctant to surrender the developing Omer Asik to import the shooting guard.

Sadds The Gr8
02-21-2011, 10:34 PM
who does boston have to trade though? Bradley and JO?

rhino17
02-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Bill Simmons has reported that the deal is done

Battier has been traded straight up for Jermaine O'Neal

jayball41
02-21-2011, 10:36 PM
who could boston possibly trade to make this happen? seems unlikely...battier is a great defender and shooter.

RZZZA
Taj for Courtney Lee, I do that all day

Sadds The Gr8
Bill Simmons has reported that the deal is done

Battier has been traded straight up for Jermaine O'Neal

link? that's a sick trade for boston

Agar81
02-21-2011, 10:38 PM
rhino17 he was joking :laugh:

Jermaine's corpse straight up for Battier. Done. Call it in. RT @STEIN_LINE_HQ Celts, Rockets discussing Battier deal. http://es.pn/eRWze8
via Simmons' twitter

gotoHcarolina52
02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Fat Baby Riding West?

Arch Stanton
Not a bad trade for the Celtics. Battier is a good defender. He could give LeBrick some problems in the playoffs.

rhino17
rhino17 he was joking :laugh:

via Simmons' twitter

what makes you think he is joking?

Storch
02-21-2011, 10:42 PM
He would be absolutely perfect for Boston. That would be an incredible pick up.

He definitely has the mentality to be able to play Celtic defense.

AWC713
02-21-2011, 10:45 PM
shane is the heart and sole of the rockets. he's why they play so damn hard.

he'd be a great asset to a championship team, i really think this trade makes boston the team to beat.

you cant statistically analyze what battier brings, but i think he can put a team like this over the top.

mrblisterdundee
02-21-2011, 10:45 PM
I could see Boston using Paul Pierce at shooting guard and Shane Battier at small forward, when it wants larger, defensive stoppers.

ManRam
02-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Orlando needs to step in and steal him. We need him more!

We really need a wing defender, and he can hit the three as well as he ever has. He isn't quite the defender he was a few years ago, but he's obviously still great.

We could use a veteran leader...

justinnum1
02-21-2011, 10:46 PM
damn

Chronz
02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
what makes you think he is joking?

Prolly the fact that he knows Simmons writing style

Create
02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Damn

shep33
02-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Wow if Boston gets him... just makes them even more of a favorite. What on earth can they give up though? Houston won't take Von Wafer, I'm pretty sure Adelman can't stand him. Nate? Big Baby? If Houston is somehow stupid enough to take JO then they deserve to be contracted from the league

Hustlenomics
02-21-2011, 10:48 PM
would be cool to have him considering the Celtics let kobe torch them both times this season although it worked once

Htownballa1622
02-21-2011, 10:51 PM
I understand the rockets would be doing shane a favor by sending him to a contender but his wife is pregnant and due around may.so what is it that boston could offer? I don't see any players of theirs that darryl morey covets. Maybe a third team involved?:confused:

TheBatchelor213
02-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Houston is freaking stupid if they trade Battier, if anything he should be a guy they resign in the off season....Houston has deep pockets and obviously wants to be a winner, Battier is the kind of guy you want on your team....unless your getting blown away by another team....dont trade Battier houston!

John Walls Era
02-21-2011, 10:54 PM
He didn't get traded for Oneal. Both are expirings... makes no sense. This isn't Kahn, its Morey (hey not his fault he got stuck with injuries).

However, I called Bulls were going to get Illinois product Anthony Parker.

shep33
02-21-2011, 10:54 PM
This doesn't make sense, weei is just talking about how the Celts are trying to get Battier. They don't mention anyone they can give up.

I still don't get who Boston is gonna give up, I mean JO, and Wafer are definitely a no. Avery Bradley?

Still financially I mean nothing works for Boston unless they give up both Big Baby and Nate, which I'm sure they wouldn't do.

Battier for Nate, Bradley and West works financially.

DwayneMVPwade
02-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Great deal if they can pull it off. They will be getting a great defender

J4KOP99
02-21-2011, 10:56 PM
As others have said, Battier would be a perfect fit in Boston. A smart, hard-nosed, defensive player who can hit the 3.

Nighthawk
02-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Id love to have Battier. Nice player off the bench who can play great defense and bang the 3. Definitely could give Paul or Ray a rest down the stretch as well. Could play that Posey role nicely off the pine. I think the C's will make a minor move whether it be Battier, Parker or somebody not discussed yet.

Htownballa1622
02-21-2011, 10:58 PM
And I forgot to mention.we already have wings so unless houston gets a big man, I don't expect to see ppl like wafer,nate,west.

ChI_ShIzzLe
02-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Taj for Courtney Lee, I do that all day

How about hell no. JJ + Bogans + 1st round pick, otherwise hang up the phone.

Bulls_fan90
02-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Battier would be a GREAT fit. Don't think Boston have the pieces to get him tho.

shep33
02-21-2011, 11:01 PM
And I forgot to mention.we already have wings so unless houston gets a big man, I don't expect to see ppl like wafer,nate,west.

I was thinking the same thing. Makes zero sense for the Rockets unless they get Big Baby back.

Htownballa1622
02-21-2011, 11:04 PM
How about hell no. JJ + Bogans + 1st round pick, otherwise hang up the phone.

And that's where houston hangs up the phone

Anilyzer
02-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Battier is a tough "Kobe stopper". But when Houston gave the Lakers a run, they also had Artest.

LoL Boston can play tremendous D and hold the Lakers maybe 10 points below their average, but unless Boston gets hella free throws from the refs and Pierce and Allen light it up they'll lose every game.

If you gonna plug in Battier to defend then those minutes have to come from Pierce or Allen probably, right?

Shaq, Perkins, J.O.
Garnett, Glenn Davis
Pierce, Battier
Ray Allen, Daniels, Wafer
Rondo, Robinson

So anyways, you can't just attack Kobe with Battier all game, and in any case, even if the refs let him do the hand-in-the-face bull**** Kobe will still
drop 30 points on him night in and night out

Romo2Bryant
02-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Would be a great fit for Shane. They would have to trade Glen Davis, but theirs no way that's happening.

Hustlenomics
02-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Battier is a tough "Kobe stopper". But when Houston gave the Lakers a run, they also had Artest.

LoL Boston can play tremendous D and hold the Lakers maybe 10 points below their average, but unless Boston gets hella free throws from the refs and Pierce and Allen light it up they'll lose every game.

If you gonna plug in Battier to defend then those minutes have to come from Pierce or Allen probably, right?

Shaq, Perkins, J.O.
Garnett, Glenn Davis
Pierce, Battier
Rondo, Robinson

So anyways, you can't just attack Kobe with Battier all game, and in any case, even if the refs let him do the hand-in-the-face bull**** Kobe will still
Celtics already beat the Lakers by 16 cut that out

kobe24>lebron23
02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
I see the celtics are preparing for Kobe in June

Lakerhead4ever
02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
you guys are lucky!!!

hugepatsfan
02-21-2011, 11:10 PM

Shaq, Perkins, J.O.
Garnett, Glenn Davis
Pierce, Battier
Rondo, Robinson

Of course Kobe will get his points. He's an elite player. But Ray, Pierce, and Battier have all played Kobe in the past and done an effective/tolerable job. All 3 of them have also played Lebron in the past as well (Ray actually guarded him last year in the playoffs a lot). That would be a great set of wing defenders heading into the playoffs.

kjoke
02-21-2011, 11:13 PM
damn that would be dirty

hugepatsfan
02-21-2011, 11:13 PM
I see the celtics are preparing for Kobe in June

Lebron too. Ray and PP can guard Kobe. Not shut him down, but play capable defense. Lebron is the guy they need this move for. Ray did a decent job at times in the playoffs last year, but I would never want him to have to do it again. Battier gives them another guy to guard Lebron so Pierce can rest a bit. Because right now they need to make sure that Pierce plays every minute Lebron does because he's the only one that can guard him.

Marques24kobe
02-21-2011, 11:19 PM
No way this trade happens without giving up Big Baby or Perkins. Why the heck would Houston want J.O. anyways. The dude is done. Besides they would have to include another player to make it work anyways. This is just as wishful as the Lakers trading Artest for G Wallace.

Anilyzer
02-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Celtics already beat the Lakers by 16 cut that out

yeah, after Lakers win game 1 in Boston that is when the wheels start to come off and Doc Rivers starts yelling and you can't understand what he says just that he wants to win and Paul Pierce starts cheap shotting and whining.

I really don't think the Celtics can stop the Lakers this year--even with or without Battier

NJ Raven
02-21-2011, 11:27 PM
As if they needed more great defense......

DMasta718
02-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Would be a great pick up for Boston if they get him. Their defense is going to be damn near unbreakable.

Anilyzer
02-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Would be a great pick up for Boston if they get him. Their defense is going to be damn near unbreakable.

yeah, if it was football they'd be awesome. Unfortunately Kobe will rain down shots from outside on them, and Pau and Bynum can score very efficiently inside at will--even when they get pushed around and hack a smacked

hugepatsfan
02-21-2011, 11:32 PM

I know. KG, Perk, and Rondo are all great defenders. They also have Delonte West coming back off of injury, who will probably take Nate Robinson's minutes. He's a good defender. Big Baby is a good team defender. Pierce and Ray both play pretty good defense too. Shane Battier would fit right in. The only guy in their 9 man rotation who wouldn't be a noteworthy defender would be Shaq, who would probably only play 15 minutes anyway.

hugepatsfan
02-21-2011, 11:35 PM
:(

http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisMannixSI/statuses/39886282637328384

Houston-Boston deal involving Shane Battier not happening, says source close to situation

Bruno
02-21-2011, 11:38 PM
...not good for the Lakers. Bostons one weakness is defense on the perimeter (being able to lock down the opposing teams star wing with out exhausting Pierce). If this happens Pierce will be able to focus on offense/being a defensive rover again.

Raidaz4Life
02-21-2011, 11:43 PM
If Boston gets Battier I would put my money on them as champs this year....

hugepatsfan
02-21-2011, 11:44 PM
It's not happening. BOS doesn't have the pieces to do it. The only thing they have of value really is Avery Bradley, but HOU doesn't really need him because they have Lowry.

kArSoN RyDaH
02-21-2011, 11:46 PM
This would definately put them over the top this year if this happens. Don't see the Lakers having that much offensive firepower to combat all those defensive minded players. A big problem for us right now is scoring. AHHHH!!

hugepatsfan
02-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Rondo - probably the best defensive PG
Allen - been a good defender since coming to BOS
Pierce - good defensive player
KG - maybe the best defensive PF
Perk - 2nd best defensive C IMO

Delonte West - good defensive player
Battier - very good wing defender
Big Baby - good team defender
Shaq - meh, but he will only play 18 minutes or so a night

That would be their playoff rotation. That defense would be ****ing sick. Too bad Battier isn't happening.

astrosmaniac
02-22-2011, 12:08 AM
yea, all i see the rockets would want is perkins. obviously that doesnt happen straight up, but i still dont see any scenario where boston parts with him

xbrackattackx
02-22-2011, 12:09 AM
That's gonna be scary if that happens!

kArSoN RyDaH
02-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Rondo - probably the best defensive PG
Allen - been a good defender since coming to BOS
Pierce - good defensive player
KG - maybe the best defensive PF
Perk - 2nd best defensive C IMO

Delonte West - good defensive player
Battier - very good wing defender
Big Baby - good team defender
Shaq - meh, but he will only play 18 minutes or so a night

That would be their playoff rotation. That defense would be ****ing sick. Too bad Battier isn't happening.

Excellent analysis. :cool:

Supreme LA
02-22-2011, 12:26 AM
They obviously see the need for someone who can guard Kobe since Tony Allen is gone.