PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't JaVale McGee win the dunk contest?

mrblisterdundee
02-21-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm not saying Blake Griffin didn't do a good job; he did great. His last dunk, though, was a bunch of contrived showmanship. He didn't jump that high, and the choir was barely understandable; all in all, it was severely over-hyped.
McGee performed two dunks that have never been seen before, including a two-hoop, two-basketball dunk that only a player with his arm length could ever do. He even did his plan-B version, which was still the most difficult dunk of the entire contest. His reverse dunk in the final round, when he contorted his body to avoid hitting the backboard, was also hugely impressive, considering it was even harder for a seven-footer to pull off. I think holding on to the hoop while putting in the third basketball might have been what did it, but I still think McGee was the best overall. He annihilated the disadvantage big men have in a dunk contest.

HoopsDrive
02-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Blake didn't even deserve to advance to the final round. To be fair, both McGee and Blake sucked on the finals but McGee was more deserving since he had two very creative dunks earlier.

Oh, and it was in LA and Blake was mad hyped.

Super.
02-21-2011, 04:35 PM
It was hype. I certainly didnt vote for Blake

Swashcuff
02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
1. Learn to spell a player's name before starting a thread about him
2. Blake won because the fans voted. Close Thread!

Minimal
02-21-2011, 04:37 PM
This is how it should have been:
DeMar Derozan and JaVale McGee advance to final round.
DeMar Derozan Wins.

BucktownUSA
02-21-2011, 04:40 PM
DeMar Derozan Wins.

this.

and btw your sig is sick. that dunk right there, Derozan made it look EASY on his first try. the "show stopper"

BucktownUSA
02-21-2011, 04:42 PM
maybe Ms mcgee should of kissed dr jay in the finals and he could of won

Create
02-21-2011, 04:43 PM
JaVale*

And who cares it's just a dunk contest.

DeRozan should have won it.

Sadds The Gr8
02-21-2011, 04:46 PM
1) the contest was rigged for Blake to win
2) Javale's last dunk was complete crap.

PurpleJesus
02-21-2011, 04:47 PM
McGee should have saved the double and triple dunks for the final rounds.

BucktownUSA
02-21-2011, 04:48 PM
delete this post

The Jokemaker
02-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Because his name isn't Blake Griffin and he didn't have an enormous about hype about his game. In fact, I'd bet there were more people wondering WHO JaVale McGee even is.

king4day
02-21-2011, 04:50 PM
2 words:

Fan Voting.

As long as the fans get a say, it becomes a popularity contest. No one wanted to see the guy who everyone (including myself) took as an afterthought before the contest, win.

Double_R
02-21-2011, 04:50 PM
DD was better than all of them. Javale balled too and Serge's ft dunk was the real deal. Blake's dunks were all garbage, period.

Dankster
02-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I personally thought Javale showed the widest array of dunks and was most creative. Granted, his very last dunk was by far his worse, but the vertical he got on that 1 handed slam was still impressive.

I'm still very impressed with his 2 and 3 ball dunks, as well as that wonderful Skywalker dunk on the baseline where his head was centimeters from under the backboard! Absolutely sick. But, unfortunately, Blake is the new media darling of the NBA so he could've probably did even more generic dunks than what he came up with and still probably won..Pretty sad

DJYankee
02-21-2011, 04:54 PM
All Star game is a joke!

BALLER R
02-21-2011, 04:58 PM
HYPE plain and simple

HoopsDrive
02-21-2011, 05:01 PM
For perspective: If Yao automatically qualified to the final round of the contest, he'd win. Fan voting is a joke.. although the "judges" are crap too.

A possible solution: have the players vote for the winner? Not sure if it would work but it would be better than having the hype machine win everytime.

DwayneMVPwade
02-21-2011, 05:08 PM
1st Rigged to get Blake in the second round
2nd Fan voting

nshush
02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Because Blake Griffin is fan favorite and was by far the most hyped dunker among all the contestants.

Bishnoff
02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
DeMar Derozan Wins.

^ This.

SF25
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Blake shouldn't have even been in the finals. Ibaka and DeRozan both out performed him. You knew right when he was put into the finals though he was gonna win because of fan voting. Some many people that are obsessed with him.

mttwlsn16
02-21-2011, 05:28 PM
DeMar Derozan Wins.

you mean the guys who took 12 attempts each to make their dunks? cmon :facepalm:

nolin
02-21-2011, 05:33 PM
McGee should have saved the double and triple dunks for the final rounds.

umm maybe because he would not have made the finals?

Madtown22
02-21-2011, 05:35 PM
all because of the fan vote. Blake is more popular

nolin
02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
you mean the guys who took 12 attempts each to make their dunks? cmon :facepalm:

derozan had 12 attempts? i think not. it took him 3 attempts for his 1st dunk and 1 attempt for his second but it did take blake 3 attempts for his 1st in 7 for his second homer

topdog
02-21-2011, 05:51 PM
I think instead of all these shoulda woulda coulda threads, the better question is how can they improve the contest.

I'm not a big fan of the judges (grumpy old dunkers) or fan voting (could a small market player legitimately win?). I think some respected members of NBA media would be best.

justinnum1
02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
because it took him like 235 tries before he nailed his dunk

Lo Porto
02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Blake Griffin won because the NBA likes things tailored for the stars. There's reason why the teams with the most players in the All Star game win all the titles and the awards.

Jays Claw
02-21-2011, 06:11 PM

derozan had 12 attempts? i think not. it took him 3 attempts for his 1st dunk and 1 attempt for his second but it did take blake 3 attempts for his 1st in 7 for his second homer

^ This!

Oh and to add to the obvious, DeRozan's dunks were a lot harder to pull off and more unique. I mean, I can name more than 200 current/past NBA players who could have jumped over the hood of a car only to finish a weak two-hander. :facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-21-2011, 06:12 PM
one word:bias

MrfadeawayJB
02-21-2011, 06:46 PM
How was Justin Beiber the MVP of the celebrity game, even though his team lost? Two words: FAN VOTING

nstojic
02-21-2011, 06:52 PM
because his dunks were crap

Bring The Heat
02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Show stopper = best dunk i've seen in YEARS... I never realized how sick it was until I saw it in slow motion.. this dude got robbed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcliW_5OZOk

wow.. :clap:

ttam68
02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
That contest had rigged all over it. The only person anyone talked about for weeks was Blake Griffin.

And guess who sponsors the NBA?

Kia

Steelers23_06
02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Show stopper = best dunk i've seen in YEARS... I never realized how sick it was until I saw it in slow motion.. this dude got robbed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcliW_5OZOk

wow.. :clap:

are you being serious?

hyb152
02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
First of all, Griffin shouldn't have been in the final round over Derozan.

Second, once Griffin made the final round, it was over before it started. McGee could have dunked 20 basketballs and jumped over a truck, but still wouldn't have won because they let the fans vote. Just like most ppl in here are saying, fan voting killed McGee. It's a popularity contest and the winner (griffin) was already decided before the final round even started.

Steelers23_06
02-21-2011, 07:06 PM
this is why stars dont enter. bc they could do great stuff. (the vince carter dunk, jumping over a car) and you guys want more. your right he should have ran over hot coals and did open heart surgery in mid air and that would have deserved a 10. when has jumping over a car not been enough?

WizFan3
02-21-2011, 07:10 PM
1. Learn to spell a player's name before starting a thread about him
2. Blake won because the fans voted. Close Thread!

jesus who pissed in ur cheerios dude
-the fans voted for him thats y

UnWantedTheory
02-21-2011, 07:11 PM
I personally thought Javale showed the widest array of dunks and was most creative. Granted, his very last dunk was by far his worse, but the vertical he got on that 1 handed slam was still impressive.

I'm still very impressed with his 2 and 3 ball dunks, as well as that wonderful Skywalker dunk on the baseline where his head was centimeters from under the backboard! Absolutely sick. But, unfortunately, Blake is the new media darling of the NBA so he could've probably did even more generic dunks than what he came up with and still probably won..Pretty sad

^

The L Train
02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
To answer the question of the original poster, why didn't McGee win the dunk contest...

The answer is, because he was competing against Blake Griffin. It was a foregone conclusion that he would win. That's how the NBA works.

By all rights, Ibaka should have won because he had the most impressive dunk. He did what Jordan and Erving did, but did it better. Blake is hot right now and he won because of that. He had a good performance but none of his dunks were better than Ibaka's foul line flight.

But hey, that's how the NBA is. Congrats to BG.

UnWantedTheory
02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
this is why stars dont enter. bc they could do great stuff. (the vince carter dunk, jumping over a car) and you guys want more. your right he should have ran over hot coals and did open heart surgery in mid air and that would have deserved a 10. when has jumping over a car not been enough?

Since people have seen it done before by scrubs at their local courts. DD or JMcgee should have won. Hell, Ibaka should have been pushed through. This was setup for Blake to win. The media darling wins in LA. It wasn't surprising.

How I love fan voting events. :rolleyes:

King Drew
02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
i wanted mcgee to win. but honestly his last dunk was horrible... i mean imo thats what ruined it for him

UnWantedTheory
02-21-2011, 07:18 PM
To answer the question of the original poster, why didn't McGee win the dunk contest...

The answer is, because he was competing against Blake Griffin. It was a foregone conclusion that he would win. That's how the NBA works.

By all rights, Ibaka should have won because he had the most impressive dunk. He did what Jordan and Erving did, but did it better. Blake is hot right now and he won because of that. He had a good performance but none of his dunks were better than Ibaka's foul line flight.

But hey, that's how the NBA is. Congrats to BG.

I am really curious as to what Ibaka would have done if he made it through....oh well.

rhino17
02-21-2011, 07:23 PM
He jumped over a bumper, not a car

The L Train
02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
I am really curious as to what Ibaka would have done if he made it through....oh well.

I am too bro, and it's a travesty that they gave him frikkin a 45 for one of the best dunks ever. Nobody in the world had ever dunked a basketball from that far away, we all saw history being made, and it's sad that the state of the NBA is such that if it had been in OK City they probably would have pushed him through.

VinceCarter
02-21-2011, 07:24 PM

When you're almost 7 feet tall and only dunk over the HOOD of a SEDAN. That deserved top score of 45.

McGees two hoop dunk and 3 ball dunk topped ANYTHING Griffin did.

Rego247
02-21-2011, 07:25 PM
demars first two dunks > blakes first two dunks. there is no way he should of made the finals over demar.

heathonater
02-21-2011, 07:30 PM
who cares, its just a dunk contest intended to entertain the fans. it doesnt matter if the competition was rigged, becuase it has absolutely no meaning to anyone once all star weekend ends.

IBleedPurple
02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
^ there should still be some integrity

Mr Haha
02-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Because he took a hundred tries on each dunk and bored the **** out of everyone.

It's a dunk contest. Not a big deal, like an award. No need for this kind of scrutiny.

LanceUpperCut
02-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I just wanted to see what Demar would of done on his next 2 dunks, I could care less who holds the title. Personally I never like Mcgee's dunks at all maybe if he did it first try I would of been more impressed.

bom tenson
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
wheres the love for serge ibaka??? he totally deserved the win but i think we can all agree the grading system SUCKS!!!! demar and ibaka shld of been in the final round ALONG with blake and javale. how does ibaka only get 45 pts for his free throw line jam??! Demar also had some sick dunks. PLEASE fix that grading system and take points off for every failed dunk attept

John Walls Era
02-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Show Stopper and East Bay Funk Remix >>>>> Griffin's 3 foot hood of car dunk.

The 3 ball dunk was actually stupid. John Wall does a layup and he just dunks the 2 ball in.... And it didn't look nice at all.

magichatnumber9
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Because he has that old mans disease that Greg Oden suffers from. **** I don't know his dunks were sick.

Prince Papi
02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
I must have been watching something totally different, cuz i guess i was the only one who saw this dude ONE HAND 360 !!! THAT was SICK!! So many haters on here cant see past the name