PDA

View Full Version : Which is the next big market team powerhouse.

six
02-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Okay, we all know the small market teams and cold weather cities are essentially becoming draft lottery farm teams for the bigger market and/or warm weather cities in the NBA and unless the CBA is altered dramatically to try and curb this... we'll be dealing with players forming up to build superteams for many years to come.

There are only so many players the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, Spurs, Suns, Mavericks, Hawks, Heat and Knicks can acquire so my question to you is:

After New York, which are the most likely NBA destinations that good players will start asking to play in. I think players will decide upon the following factors:

- Marketability
- Entertainment/Lifestyle
- Weather
- Legacies of the past
- Ownership
- Young stars that other players will want to play with.

Teams with biggest markets.

1. New York Knicks
2.Los Angeles Lakers
3.Chicago Bulls
4.Boston Celtics

JWO35
02-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Minnesota Timberwolves

disgruntledbull
02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
i dont get why weather is ever a decision in where someone wants to play. they invented coats for a reason in cold weather, they help a lot

MiamiWadeCounty
02-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Okay, we all know the small market teams and cold weather cities are essentially becoming draft lottery farm teams for the bigger market and/or warm weather cities in the NBA and unless the CBA is altered dramatically to try and curb this... we'll be dealing with players forming up to build superteams for many years to come.

There are only so many players the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, Spurs, Suns, Mavericks, Hawks, Heat and Knicks can acquire so my question to you is:

After New York, which are the most likely NBA destinations that good players will start asking to play in. I think players will decide upon the following factors:

1. MONEY!!!!

2. Marketability
3. Entertainment/Lifestyle
4. Weather
5. Legacies of the past
6. Ownership
7. Young stars that other players will want to play with.

1. New York Knicks
2.Los Angeles Lakers
3.Chicago Bulls
4.Boston Celtics

Fixed, jk. Well in all honesty, more than half of NBA players care about money more than anything else.

Create
02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Whik?

Minnesota Timberwhiks.

six
02-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Whik?

Minnesota Timberwhiks.

I was going to say which.... fixed it :o

Create
02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
I was going to say which.... fixed it :o

I know, just some humor.

But yeah.

I think it will be Minnesota Timbewolves.

WizFan3
02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
wizards

Gram
02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Knicks. Wait no Pistons.

Cubsfan365
02-21-2011, 03:42 PM
i dont get why weather is ever a decision in where someone wants to play. they invented coats for a reason in cold weather, they help a lot
Because snow is a pain in the ***.

The Jokemaker
02-21-2011, 03:45 PM
1) Memphis, 2) Atlanta, 3) Houston. If Griffin stays, Clips.

Bornknick73
02-21-2011, 03:47 PM

- Marketability
- Entertainment/Lifestyle
- Weather
- Legacies of the past
- Ownership
- Young stars that other players will want to play with.

1. New York Knicks
2.Los Angeles Lakers
3.Chicago Bulls
4.Boston Celtics

Some of those Texas teams are big markets as well. Dallas and Houston are huge markets and they have nice weather and lifestyles.

rhino17
02-21-2011, 03:47 PM
funny that you leave out the 4th biggest city in the US, but include San Antonio, Phoenix, Atlanta, ect

Bornknick73
02-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Ive lived in snow all my life with a coat but florida winters were always better.

tr3ymill3r
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Houston because of the money and the fact that the taxes are less in Texas than anywhere else. Not to mention that SA and Dallas already have premier teams in place.

Heater4life
02-21-2011, 03:51 PM

Seriously? It shouldnt be the sole reason but its a deciding factor.

Case and point, today 2/21/2011, i just came back from a day at the beach for presidents day. I went out with my friends in bikinis, had some "call a cab" drinks at wet willies, and im stuffed from eating some burgers.

As compared to, 30 in chicago, 31 in new york, and snow every where else. Point is, its nice year round weather.

sunnydayin'zona
02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
funny that you leave out the 4th biggest city in the US, but include San Antonio, Phoenix, Atlanta, ect

phoenix is the 5th biggest city in the country. so...

RZZZA
02-21-2011, 04:32 PM
I can easily see the Knicks be scary again in the next few years. Melo + amare is a great starting point to build a great team

As compared to, 30 in chicago, 31 in new york, and snow every where else. Point is, its nice year round weather.

Yeah, you have to be tough to live in New York, Chicago or Detroit. Warm weather year round is for softies

The Jokemaker
02-21-2011, 04:51 PM
I can easily see the Knicks be scary again in the next few years. Melo + amare is a great starting point to build a great team

Yeah, you have to be tough to live in New York, Chicago or Detroit. Warm weather year round is for softies

Gotta be tough to handle the intense humid summers of the southeast.

Phenomenonsense
02-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Gotta be tough to handle the intense humid summers of the southeast.

With a fan?

Big Zo
02-21-2011, 04:57 PM

You've clearly never been outside of your state. It feels great to go outside at any time without having to look like an eskimo.

rhino17
02-21-2011, 06:37 PM
You've clearly never been outside of your state. It feels great to go outside at any time without having to look like an eskimo.

Cold weather is stupid and having to wear multiple layers of clothing and jackets just to go outside is a waste of time

I can't wait to move back to the gulf coast where it is hot all year round

NYKalltheway
02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Allow me to add Philadelphia...

I don't see other cities other than the "mainstream" ones like NY-LA-CHI-BOS having any sort of advantage. It comes down to the franchise after that. Pistons, Sixers, Hawks, Spurs, Rockets, Traiblazers etc... they all got some history going, so they will be more attractive than Memphis and Charlotte for example.. But other teams that have neither, have good prospects, like the Thunder. You can't judge all teams by their location, but you can say that those 4 cities have some small advantage, if salary is going to be equal ofcourse

Albrecht Duerer
02-21-2011, 07:00 PM
It will be between New York and NJ/Brooklyn...whoever gets Anthony. Im also not sure D'Antoni is the guy to take them places.

RZZZA
02-21-2011, 07:34 PM

oh la di da. look at us, we live in the south/west, we never have to deal with cold or hardship, life is a day at the beach for us, every single day.

:mad:

bundle up and help me shovel 20 inches of snow, then I'd respect you

xabial
02-21-2011, 07:43 PM

You forgot Deron Williams. :D

RedRicanoBx
02-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Man say what you want, cold weather is nice sometimes I lived in nyc all my life and lived in miami (kendal) for like 8 months and hot weather all the time is kind of boring... I enjoy my "white christmas" and plus you can wear some of the hottest gear in cold climates :) just saying lol but seriously unless you lived in a place where you get all kinds of weather you are no one to judge IMO of course...

Skizzik
02-21-2011, 08:24 PM

1. New York Knicks
2.Los Angeles Lakers
3.Chicago Bulls
4.Boston Celtics

No, the Celtics aren't the fourth largest market in the NBA (not even close):
#1 New York, NY 15,340,000
#2 Los Angeles, CA 10,609,200
#3 Chicago, IL 7,612,100
#4 San Francisco, CA 6,012,000
#5 Dallas, TX 4,576,700
#6 Philadelphia, PA 4,291,700
#7 Houston, TX 4,165,000
#8 Washington, DC 4,041,300
#9 Boston, MA 3,888,800

If you want to say people would prefer to go to Boston, that's fine. But in terms of market size, they are behind a large number of teams.

The Jokemaker
02-21-2011, 08:28 PM
With a fan?

Haha... try being outside...

ChI_ShIzzLe
02-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Man say what you want, cold weather is nice sometimes I lived in nyc all my life and lived in miami (kendal) for like 8 months and hot weather all the time is kind of boring... I enjoy my "white christmas" and plus you can wear some of the hottest gear in cold climates :) just saying lol but seriously unless you lived in a place where you get all kinds of weather you are no one to judge IMO of course...

Hell ya we get to rock our North Faces up in here yall.

LanceUpperCut
02-21-2011, 08:39 PM
No, the Celtics aren't the fourth largest market in the NBA (not even close):
#1 New York, NY 15,340,000
#2 Los Angeles, CA 10,609,200
#3 Chicago, IL 7,612,100
#4 San Francisco, CA 6,012,000
#5 Dallas, TX 4,576,700
#6 Philadelphia, PA 4,291,700
#7 Houston, TX 4,165,000
#8 Washington, DC 4,041,300
#9 Boston, MA 3,888,800

If you want to say people would prefer to go to Boston, that's fine. But in terms of market size, they are behind a large number of teams.

Nope Toronto is and then you have the rest of the country.

Skizzik
02-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Nope Toronto is and then you have the rest of the country.

Yeah, my bad, I forgot to mention Toronto too.

ChongInc.
02-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Toronto.

GodsSon
02-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Agreed.

The winter is a nice change of scenery, I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere that didn't snow/get cold during the winter.