PDA

View Full Version : Sorry if this is obvious but...

nygiants242
02-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Why are the Knicks giving up so much for Carmelo? They seem to be in "ride or die" mode with this deal. Why don't they just let him become a free agent at the end of the year? They could throw a ton of money at him, no?

Also, he has repeatedly said he wants to come to New York, so it's not like he would spurn them for another team. After all, this would allow them to not have to dish out half of the team (if not more) for this guy.

Why can't they just wait until he becomes an FA?

Thanks guys.

*Superman*
02-21-2011, 12:36 PM
I agree, but couldn't it happen that Denver decides to trade with the Nets and he gets stuck there?

justinnum1
02-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Because Denver has a lot more leverage than you think.

Create
02-21-2011, 12:42 PM
They don't want to wait till next year, I think they are going for a tittle run this year.

Algmuskrats
The Nets are giving up more in my mind.

Algmuskrats
They don't want to wait till next year, I think they are going for a tittle run this year.

:facepalm:

InfamousTHC
02-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Because he won't get same amount of money if he waits to be a free agent. He will get more through an extension which is 3 years 65 million. There is going to be a new collective bargaining agreement set in place which is going to reduce payrolls next season.

Rivera
02-21-2011, 12:45 PM
because carmello wants the 3 years 65 mil and if he waits till FA with a new collective barganing agreement theres a 90% chance he wont get that extension

hes more likely to stay and sign with denver than leaving for FA and getting less...and it could be a lot less

nygiants242
02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Because Denver has a lot more leverage than you think.

How does Denver have more leverage than the Knicks? I think it's just how poorly the Knicks FO is playing this thing. It's almost useless to talk about the Nets trade scenario, because Anthony has said that he does not want to sign an extension there. I don't understand why he wouldn't take a trade to NJ, but that's his deal..

Anyway, so that basically leaves the Knicks as the only potential suitor for Anthony. The Knicks have to leverage the fact that either the Nuggets have to do a deal with them.. or they walk away with nothing and have to keep Anthony until the end of the year.

Kakaroach
02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Because the Knicks fans will be in uproar if they knew they could have gotten Melo easily but the front office screwed it up. I know people say he will sign there anyway, but you just can't risk it with the new CBA and the Nets being involved.

nygiants242
02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
^ How would they think they could have gotten him "easily"? All of these hypothetical trades being discussed have the Knicks getting their balls ripped. That's far from easy, and if I were a Knicks fan, I would be far from upset if the FO didn't give up half of the team for this guy..

kjoke
02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
melo is drooling thats why, i just want it to be over already

ATX
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
A reason NY is in such a tough spot in regards to giving up their young assets, is because as much as Melo wants to be there, he must have told NY that there is no garauntee he will come there in the offseason, due to the cba situation. The new cba will undoubtedly restrict the salary he is otherwise due in his current extension offer. The question is how much, and if it's substantial, Melo may not be willing. Thus, he might feel it more wise to resign in Denver...Or he may say, I do want out, and if your front office can't agree on a deal like NJ did, well I'll reluctantly just go to NJ, cause that way he get's out of Denver, and at least gets to Brooklyn. NY obviously doesn't have a gaurantee from Melo that he will sign with them regardless of the new cba outcome, or else they wouldn't even be considering giving up three young assets in Gallo/Felton/Chandler plus picks.

I think the two sides have exhausted themselves and come too far to not agree on a deal.

king4day
02-21-2011, 01:00 PM
It appears to be because Melo wants the money. If I'm NY brass, I would be majorly concerned about this. He wants the money and is willing to allow the team he'll go to be stripped down to get it.

IndyRealist
02-21-2011, 01:01 PM
How does Denver have more leverage than the Knicks? I think it's just how poorly the Knicks FO is playing this thing. It's almost useless to talk about the Nets trade scenario, because Anthony has said that he does not want to sign an extension there. I don't understand why he wouldn't take a trade to NJ, but that's his deal..

Anyway, so that basically leaves the Knicks as the only potential suitor for Anthony. The Knicks have to leverage the fact that either the Nuggets have to do a deal with them.. or they walk away with nothing and have to keep Anthony until the end of the year.

Because Anthony wants to sign the extension, just not with Denver. That means he has to be moved by the deadline in order to get the extension. That means that New York can't afford to wait, or Melo might agree to sign with the Nets in order to get his payday.

Double_R
02-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Because the Bulls wouldn't include Deng in the Kobe deal and look where that got them.

Kakaroach
02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
^ How would they think they could have gotten him "easily"? All of these hypothetical trades being discussed have the Knicks getting their balls ripped. That's far from easy, and if I were a Knicks fan, I would be far from upset if the FO didn't give up half of the team for this guy.. By easily I meant by that Melo wants to be there and is willing to sign the extension there and not with any other team. And they are also getting Billups, who is still a very good PG. So while they lose Felton who has improved, Gallo who is insanely inconsistent, and Chandler who will be a restricted FA this offseason. And you get Billups and Melo? I'd say its an overpay, but still worth it.

nygiants242
02-21-2011, 01:07 PM
By easily I meant by that Melo wants to be there and is willing to sign the extension there and not with any other team. And they are also getting Billups, who is still a very good PG. So while they lose Felton who has improved, Gallo who is insanely inconsistent, and Chandler who will be a restricted FA this offseason. And you get Billups and Melo? I'd say its an overpay, but still worth it.

Thanks for clarifying. I just think it's a lot to give up.. I don't know. We'll see how it turns out. I just think it's a shame since it's kind of holding up the whole NBA and other trades, IMO.

jeter4president
02-21-2011, 01:08 PM
because everyone remembers what happened when the yankees waited for cliff lee.

Dankster
02-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Well as others stated, he's not going to make it to FA. Although Knick fans are pretty content from our transformation from last year, there's still a bit of a sour taste in our mouths from not obtaining 2 max guys this past offseason. Since we spent 2+ years sacrificing our regular seasons, the expectation was very high this past summer to get 2 guys. I personally am happy with where the knicks are at and wouldn't mind just developing our young guys and add a few pieces here and there, but at this point we're too invested in this transaction.

Factor in that Proky is trying his best to make Melo the face of his franchise when they move to Brooklyn, than you'll understand there is a certain level of tension being brewed behind all this between the knicks and nets. This has become more about egos not allowing themselves to get one-upped by the other owner.....

RZZZA
02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
^ How would they think they could have gotten him "easily"? All of these hypothetical trades being discussed have the Knicks getting their balls ripped. That's far from easy, and if I were a Knicks fan, I would be far from upset if the FO didn't give up half of the team for this guy..

The thing is, the team is hovering barely above .500, what are you really giving up?

If you get a chance to get a top 10 player, you do it. You don't worry about messing up the chemistry of a .500 team thats not even that good. Keep Amare, everyone else is expendable imo.

Wade>You
02-21-2011, 01:17 PM
because carmello wants the 3 years 65 mil and if he waits till FA with a new collective barganing agreement theres a 90% chance he wont get that extension

hes more likely to stay and sign with denver than leaving for FA and getting less...and it could be a lot lessI agree that Melo is very much about his money. Unlike Wade Bosh and LBJ, he wanted the extra year on his deal and wasn't willing to take a risk.

LOOTERX9
02-21-2011, 01:22 PM
The thing is, the team is hovering barely above .500, what are you really giving up?

If you get a chance to get a top 10 player, you do it. You don't worry about messing up the chemistry of a .500 team thats not even that good. Keep Amare, everyone else is expendable imo.

I agree, knick fans extremely overrate our current players on ny . It's a no brainer to trade the glorified role players for Melo. no argument should even be made bout keeping Gallo, chandler and mozgov, yes moooozgove.

Steelers23_06
02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
not only that it frees up space for them to make moves on better players.

dhopisthename
02-21-2011, 01:32 PM
By easily I meant by that Melo wants to be there and is willing to sign the extension there and not with any other team. And they are also getting Billups, who is still a very good PG. So while they lose Felton who has improved, Gallo who is insanely inconsistent, and Chandler who will be a restricted FA this offseason. And you get Billups and Melo? I'd say its an overpay, but still worth it.

don't forget that for next year they have 42.2 million in payroll assuming that turiaf picks up his player option and the knicks decline chandlers qualifying offer. so even if the salary cap stays the same they wouldn't have enough to pay both chandler and melo. so you would lose chandler anyways. So losing him now isn't a big deal, but the kicker is what if the cap drops to say 50 million then melo would take a huge hit financially

Bornknick73
02-21-2011, 01:35 PM
/thread

This has been discussed to death for like a month, have you not been paying attention?

Melo's #1 priority is that money

His #2 priority is to play for the Knicks. Hes stated it several times already.

He wont make it to FA.

"I can't sit here and say I'd be willing to give up that money, If i said that I'd be lying"

That money is all that matters to him. It appears he would be willing to go to basketball pergatory (NJ) then give up that money. We dont trade now and I guarantee hes a Net tomorrow.

At first we thought we had a chance but its clear now and for a few weeks already its not Knicks or Bust...

Its MONEY OR BUST

And after the trade goes down he WILL confirm he would have gone to the Nets if the Knicks didnt make this trade.

Guaranteed.

koLohe2133
02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
because everyone remembers what happened when the yankees waited for cliff lee.

Zzzzzzzzing!

But who knows if cliff woulda signed ab extension?

Bornknick73
02-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Dude its mind boggling how people dont understand this.

"OMG youre giving up the whole team!!!!"

Yeah a .500 team.

My .500 team is getting raped and we end up with a top 10 player and a championship PG. Who we could buy out at the end of the season or we could sign to have him come off in 2012.

Blowing up a .500 team and people are screaming rape, you'd think we were breaking up the Lakers.

LOOTERX9
02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Dude its mind boggling how people dont understand this.

"OMG youre giving up the whole team!!!!"

Yeah a .500 team.

My .500 team is getting raped and we end up with a top 10 player and a championship PG. Who we could buy out at the end of the season or we could sign to have him come off in 2012.

Blowing up a .500 team and people are screaming rape, you'd think we were breaking up the Lakers.

Knick fans who think we are blowing up a top 3 team is on drugs or something. Hey the knicks have actually lost atleast 65% of their games the past month and a half. And is another 5 game losing streak from being out the playoffs all together or an 8th seed in the weak east.

KingsPhillies
02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Because the Knicks fans will be in uproar if they knew they could have gotten Melo easily but the front office screwed it up. I know people say he will sign there anyway, but you just can't risk it with the new CBA and the Nets being involved.

^:clap:This is the exact reason, right here. The possible lock-out and the subsequent new CBA have a lot to do with it.

justinnum1
02-21-2011, 01:57 PM
now that its coing out that money might be a bigger priority to melo than what team he plays on, denver has a lot of leverage here.

NYKSpiritBomb
02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
melo wants his cake and eat it too. too bad it comes at his future team's expense :facepalm:

WizFan3
02-21-2011, 02:06 PM
totally agree wit u thats what ive been sayn all along

WizFan3
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I agree, but couldn't it happen that Denver decides to trade with the Nets and he gets stuck there?

then he simply wont sign the extension