PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash

NetsPaint
02-20-2011, 04:18 AM
I know a lot of people are gonna think it's crazy for me to say this, and sadly, some will think it's a joke, but to me, Steve Nash, RIGHT NOW, is the best PG in the league.

His numbers are around his MVP numbers, he's still efficient, and despite Amar'e leaving, he's keeping the team in the Playoff race. To me, maybe only Rose is on his level now, who has taken it upon himself to score a lot more to lead his team to victories, and has been successful at it with even being short handed.

Two factors go into people not mentioning Nash even close to to this conversation, him being 37, and his defense.

As for his defense, sure, it's not great, but people try to take away his PG skills because of that. Nash's all around offense is so much better than most of these younger players. It's not even close. One man's defense is not holding the Suns back. In fact, his defense doesn't look bad this season (haven't paid attention other seasons). Whether it's good or not, people just want to sound smart by pointing that out. A lot of people have said they'd take a PG with good offense over Nash's superior offense just because of his defense, even if the defense isn't THAT good.

This is a guard heavy league now. If you go through every team, almost every one has a special guard. To me the ones that really stand out as elite PGs are Nash, Rose, and Chris Paul when healthy.

iggypop123
02-20-2011, 04:19 AM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee115/DirtyIrishman/ibtl.gif

John Walls Era
02-20-2011, 04:21 AM

Raph12
02-20-2011, 04:22 AM
You could not be more wrong... Okay you could, but this is still pretty damn dumb.

210Don
02-20-2011, 04:25 AM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee115/DirtyIrishman/ibtl.gif
:laugh:

sunsfan88
02-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Why state the obvious?

NetsPaint
02-20-2011, 05:16 AM
Why state the obvious?
A lot of people think he's a top 8 player, not even top 5 now.

Doogolas
02-20-2011, 05:16 AM
You have to actually know what defense is to be the best at any position in the NBA.

The Raven
02-20-2011, 05:22 AM
He's a very good PG even at his age but come on now

sunsfan88
02-20-2011, 05:32 AM
A lot of people think he's a top 8 player, not even top 5 now.

He's definitely top 3 PG in the NBA.

Find me a guy that averaging 17 pts & 11.3 assists a game (2nd in the NBA) and is shooting 50%+, 40%+ from 3pt range, and 90+ range from the FT line.

50-40-90 has only been done like 5 times in NBA history.....Nash alone has done it 5 times (if you include this season)

NetsPaint
02-20-2011, 05:34 AM
You have to actually know what defense is to be the best at any position in the NBA.
Not if you have more positive impact than the other players.

Doogolas
02-20-2011, 05:35 AM
No, you have to know what defense is. Because defense is important. And Nash doesn't play it. Regardless of how good he is offensively, and he's one of the best, he's terrible on defense. Which disqualifies him immediately from being the best PG in the NBA.

abe_froman
02-20-2011, 05:37 AM
he's having another very awesome year but its gone unnoticed ,the attention has shifted away from phx this year

bklynny67
02-20-2011, 05:41 AM

Find me a guy that averaging 17 pts & 11.3 assists a game (2nd in the NBA) and is shooting 50%+, 40%+ from 3pt range, and 90+ range from the FT line.

50-40-90 has only been done like 3 times in NBA history.....Nash alone has done it like 6 or 7 times.

he's done it 4 times. not 6 or 7.

NetsPaint
02-20-2011, 05:51 AM
No, you have to know what defense is. Because defense is important. And Nash doesn't play it. Regardless of how good he is offensively, and he's one of the best, he's terrible on defense. Which disqualifies him immediately from being the best PG in the NBA.
I'm not saying defense isn't important, but put most of those other young PGs on his team or the team with the least wins, they probably couldn't do what Steve Nash could.

ragee
02-20-2011, 06:07 AM
I'm not saying defense isn't important, but put most of those other young PGs on his team or the team with the least wins, they probably couldn't do what Steve Nash could.

Chris Paul can... His team is worse.. And he plays defense...

NetsPaint
02-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Chris Paul can... His team is worse.. And he plays defense...
I did mention him though with being in the category with Nash this season (when healthy). Overall though Paul hasn't been having as good a season as Nash. Hasn't been play that well as of late.

dodie53
02-20-2011, 06:30 AM
ok.
now trade him to a contender

J-Relo
02-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Best playmaker.

NetsPaint
02-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Double post.

AI4MVP
02-20-2011, 06:52 AM
he is BY FAR the best offensive point guard in the nba. BY FAR.

nshush
02-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Nash would be this season's MVP if Amare was still in phoenix. Some people are joke. Stop overrating certain combo guards first and then know the real point guards like Nash.

effen5
02-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Nash would be this season's MVP if Amare was still in phoenix. Some people are joke. Stop overrating certain combo guards first and then know the real point guards like Nash.

Who are we overrating? Rose is having an MVP type season. Nash is good but I would still take Rose, Paul, or DWill over Nash right now, then Nash.

WizFan3
02-20-2011, 11:15 AM
id like nash at all without pick and roll he aint nothin

strokeman
02-20-2011, 12:11 PM

50-40-90 has only been done like 5 times in NBA history.....Nash alone has done it 5 times (if you include this season)

mmmmm nope
the young guys got top 5
Rondo
balling out of control, everyone know he cant shoot but he still get the job done. the best defensive pg in the game as well!
CP3
still putting up the numbers, but he has extended his range this year so he is doing what it takes to be unstoppable. plus he plays good D!

Deron Williams
big strong guard that can do it all!

Russell Westbrook

Rose
mmmm all ahead of Nash right now

hugepatsfan
02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
To me, an MVP has to be a productive player at both ends of the court. I just can't put Nash in my top 5 PGs list because of that. Not only is he not a contributor on the defensive end, he is a liability.

king4day
02-20-2011, 12:27 PM
id like nash at all without pick and roll he aint nothin

It's what makes him so good. For years teams knew he and Amar'e were going to run it but could never stop it.

He's not the best PG in the league but for someone to say he plays no D is silly. Of the top PG's in the league he may be the worst but now that the team defense is improving, so is his personal D.

He's still taking charges and his placement for where he wants to lead players (into help D) has been very good. I can't stand when people just say his D is terrible because they hear it. Watch him play this year. Not great but not the worst.

koLohe2133
02-20-2011, 12:36 PM

For reals....elite players dominate both sides of the floor

THE GIPPER
02-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Nash is the best offensive point guard in the nba and its not eve close. He's a better shooter, passer and is more efficient than anyone else in the leaue. Obviously he's average defensively and isnt a great athlete copared to the young guys but you cant deny his offensive ability.

BranWingss
02-20-2011, 02:19 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?id=8980

Nash is third, just above Paul, Rondo and Rose.

Doogolas
02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
It's what makes him so good. For years teams knew he and Amar'e were going to run it but could never stop it.

He's not the best PG in the league but for someone to say he plays no D is silly. Of the top PG's in the league he may be the worst but now that the team defense is improving, so is his personal D.

He's still taking charges and his placement for where he wants to lead players (into help D) has been very good. I can't stand when people just say his D is terrible because they hear it. Watch him play this year. Not great but not the worst.

It's not from hearing it. It's from seeing it. Nash is a God awful defender.

hugepatsfan
02-20-2011, 02:25 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?id=8980

Nash is third, just above Paul, Rondo and Rose.

I'm confused as to how those rankings are determined and what they are for. Is it overall players or MVP? And how do they calculate their ratings?

ManRam
02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
He's not. He may still be the best offensive PG (his shooting stats are crazy amazing per the usual), but his defensive game has decreased drastically from an already low level. Defense is half the game...

Rego247
02-20-2011, 02:31 PM
hes not the best right now. but hes top 5-6. for a 37 year old thats pretty ****ing impressive. he probably has 10 years on some of these guys.

sunsfan88
02-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, I know defense is very important but let me ask you guys this....

When the Jazz play the Hornets, BOTH Chris Paul & Deron Williams put up big numbers. Does that mean they are both horrific defenders?

When OKC plays CHI, BOTH Westbrook & Derrick Rose put up big numbers? Does that mean they are both horrific defenders?

Nash had put up BIG numbers on almost every PG he has played this season...does that mean those PGs cant play defense?

I agree defense is very important but almost every elite team has a good PG now and those good PGs are gonna find a way to put up big numbers no matter how good the defender is.

0nekhmer
02-20-2011, 02:48 PM
nash to orlando!

Chacarron
02-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Chris Paul is the #1 PG in the NBA.

NetsPaint
02-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I keep seeing defense is half the game stuff in here, which I agree, but how many of these guards are REALLY all-defensive team players? It just seems like people would take the best defender in the league if he's a PG even if his offensive skills are mediocre just because it sounds like a smarter choice.

Let me ask you this, is any of these other PGs, aside from Paul, gonna make their teammates look more than their worth come free agency?

smith&wesson
02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
there is a **** load of elite pg's out there

chris paul
dwill
drose
rondo
westbrook
nash
toni parker
john wall ( will be an elite pg if he isnt already)

nash is not the best right now, but he will go down as one of the greatest of all time when he retires.

JLynn943
02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Nash is easily the best offensive point guard. No one is even close to him in how well he actually runs the offense (not just driving in and dishing to the open man repeatedly). Defense is obviously the problem, but it's not like Paul (considered by many to be the best PG) is a great defender. The only elite PG who is great at defense is Rondo, and his offensive game is nowhere near elite.

I can definitely see an argument for him to be #1 as I think he is the best true PG in the league, but top 5 for sure. He just is vastly underappreciated because he isn't young and high scoring.

HakeemTheDream
02-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Nash isn't as bad of a defender as a lot of people think, the effort is there. But with Derrick Rose he usually only puts in effort on defense during clutch moments. During the game Derrick Rose messes up defensively a lot more than Nash did in his prime and very little has changed now.

sunsfan88
02-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Finally Nash getting the props he should be getting.

Even all these "great PGs" know Nash is a BEAST.

Doc Rivers, Rondo, Amare, Westbrook, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Greg Popavich, Jeff VanGundy all had things to say about Nash.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2011/02/19/20110219phoenix-suns-steve-nash-impacting-nba-all-star-game.html

Bigbadmoffo
02-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Best playmaker.

This

sunnydayin'zona
02-20-2011, 07:51 PM
He's not. He may still be the best offensive PG (his shooting stats are crazy amazing per the usual), but his defensive game has decreased drastically from an already low level. Defense is half the game...

no, it really hasnt gotten worse.
he isnt good, but he isnt horrible. and he has improved his defense this year.

It's not from hearing it. It's from seeing it. Nash is a God awful defender.

i really dont think you have actually seen it, i think you really have just heard it.

Nash isn't as bad of a defender as a lot of people think, the effort is there. But with Derrick Rose he usually only puts in effort on defense during clutch moments. During the game Derrick Rose messes up defensively a lot more than Nash did in his prime and very little has changed now.

this

sf-fanatic
02-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Nash is the best offensive point guard in the nba and its not eve close. He's a better shooter, passer and is more efficient than anyone else in the leaue. Obviously he's average defensively and isnt a great athlete copared to the young guys but you cant deny his offensive ability.

False.

He is 12th in PER ratings, notably behind Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook plus many other SGs.

sunnydayin'zona
02-20-2011, 08:23 PM
False.

He is 12th in PER ratings, notably behind Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook plus many other SGs.

from reading the OP, it seems like he wasnt talking statistics.

heattiltheend94
02-20-2011, 08:35 PM
look, Paul, Williams, Rose, and Rondo are better. I personally think Westbrook is also better. He is a great player, but there are so many great point guards now.

Duncan = Donkey
02-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Dont even bother, majority in here have been brainwashed by ESPN. He has been the best PG in the league this year.

Some people actually think Russel Westbrook and Derrick Rose are better than him.

Duncan = Donkey
02-20-2011, 11:52 PM
No PG in the league can lock down an opposing PG anyway, PG defense is totally overrated.

And people who say Nash is a god awful defender anyway are sheep. He is just a bad man to man defender, People who say he doesn't know what defense is or has no defensive IQ are clueless.

Lim
02-21-2011, 10:21 AM
i wonder if steve nash will be in the MVP consideration if phx sneaks into the playoffs?

BaddNewz
02-21-2011, 11:54 AM
i wonder if steve nash will be in the MVP consideration if phx sneaks into the playoffs?

This.

Every other player in MVP consideration has a better team...without nash this team is just as bad as cleveland...

Oh yeah two MVPs with this so called horrendous defense...50-40-90 4x...its only been done 9 times ever...second in assists only to a less offensive threat in rondo

Clear cut MVP candidate IMO