PDA

View Full Version : Serge Ibaka's Foul Line Dunk : Most Under-appreciated Dunk Ever?

gjsii13
02-20-2011, 01:14 AM
I am personally SHOCKED that it got a 45.

whitemamba33
02-20-2011, 01:21 AM
It was underappreciated...but not THAT underappreciated. It was a half step farther than people have gone before...but I think in general the "foul line dunk" has been done to death and appears in pretty much every dunk competition..so it underwhelmed.

Bruno
02-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Who were the judges this year? I haven't watched it yet, recorded it.

ElMarroAfamado
02-20-2011, 01:28 AM
his foot was behind the line....more than ANYONE who has ever tried that dunk...i really dont understand...it was probably because he was tall

MelanconMadness
02-20-2011, 01:29 AM
It was underappreciated...but not THAT underappreciated. It was a half step farther than people have gone before...but I think in general the "foul line dunk" has been done to death and appears in pretty much every dunk competition..so it underwhelmed.

Half step is alot when it comes to jumping, and that type of distance

Raps18-19 Champ
02-20-2011, 01:31 AM
He has like 8 inches on most people's wing span who's attempted that dunk though.

But it should have been higher. Not a 50 but like 47 or 48.

LA_Raiders
02-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Yes, was a great dunk

whitemamba33
02-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Half step is alot when it comes to jumping, and that type of distance

It is...but visually it was nothing special. I'm just saying, it's going to be tough to get everyone excited about a half a step. And if you look at the guys who have done the dunk before, I don't think it's because they couldn't have MADE the jump, I just think it's difficult to jump and time properly.

MJ even put some flare in there...his dunk was better if you ask me. And for it to have happened SO long ago, i think that's why the foul line dunk is getting played out.

210Don
02-20-2011, 01:36 AM
it was the best dunk ever

LayZbone
02-20-2011, 01:36 AM
It deserved more than a 45. People have won dunk contests jumping from closer. Hell, Blake won after jumping half the distance over the shortest part of a sedan.

kho1313
02-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Yeah that was a better dunk than some of the others that received 10s. Horrible dunk contest this year. I mean come on when you win it on a two handed dunk over a car. And it was just the hood of the car. C'mon!

knightstemplar
02-20-2011, 01:41 AM
the finish wasnt that great

whitemamba33
02-20-2011, 01:42 AM
Yeah that was a better dunk than some of the others that received 10s. Horrible dunk contest this year. I mean come on when you win it on a two handed dunk over a car. And it was just the hood of the car. C'mon!

"it was just the hood of the car"

LOL

Alright, go for it big shot.

kho1313
02-20-2011, 01:43 AM
I dont see that hardware coming this year buddy...

SteBO
02-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Yes, it was inderappreciated. But let's not go overboard. There have been better dunks in previous contests that get overlooked. I personally think McGee deserved to win it.

kimchi'sworld
02-20-2011, 02:23 AM
It was underappreciated and should've gotten a higher score since he was behind the free throw line. But like most people said it's been done so many times and when Jordan and Erving did it they had some style and flair. I think Vince Carter's 2 handed free throw dunk in 2000 was harder than all the other free throw dunks.

JNA17
02-20-2011, 02:26 AM
great dunk but it's been done a thousand times already.

soonabooma
02-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Those judges are freaking retards, but then again....they are every year. Sometimes they give a guy all 10s when he clearly doesn't deserve it and other times they totally cheat a guy and give him a lower score than he deserves. Serge did a dunk that has certainly been done before, but here's the thing about Serges dunk....he did it from farther than anybody I can remember and that should mean something. When a guy does it like that and makes it look so easy, they shouldn't be saying "yeah, but that's been done before, we'll give him a 45 if he's lucky." They should be saying "damn, he killed that, he jumped from farther back than Dr. J and MJ, we better hook him up with a 50." He also did a very creative dunk with the little toy and he executed it. But those guys don't have an ounce of brains between em, they have no business being judges. It's become a joke as far as the judges go.

hgtiger32
02-20-2011, 04:37 AM
i honestly thought it shoulda been ibaka and mcgee in the finals, BUT thats just my opinion

Raph12
02-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Underrated by the judges, but overrated by just about everyone else, he barely dunked it, Jordan's was much nicer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqXUDnXcTok&feature=related

Look at the finish for both dunks, MJ's was easily better.

John Walls Era
02-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Underrated by the judges, but overrated by just about everyone else, he barely dunked it, Jordan's was much nicer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqXUDnXcTok&feature=related

Look at the finish for both dunks, MJ's was easily better.

I agree. MJ did more with his body as well, more movement. Ibaka's was nice, but I didn't feel it was the best dunk of the night (or close). Thats why I liked Derozan's dunk, very fluid and motion while elevating (underrated part of dunking).

EdGein812
02-20-2011, 10:30 AM
"it was just the hood of the car"

LOL

Alright, go for it big shot.

Right? People don't realize you need height and distance to pull that off. Kenny Smith said it was supposed to be better because the ball placement wasn't wear it was supposed to be. I thought it was sweet enough though.

Serge's dunk was bad *** though. Maybe played out a little but he probably should of had a better score. He had that sweet intro, I think it would have helped him if he let everyone know what he was gonna pull off, I dunno, cos when it happened it didn't look so impressive, but goddamn, it was pretty bad ***.

rhino17
02-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Its funny that the worst dunker of the 4 won, a great dunk contest ruined by it being fixed

justinnum1
02-20-2011, 02:45 PM
The fact that he made it on his first try and it was as far behind the line as it was...50

J-Relo
02-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Its funny that the worst dunker of the 4 won, a great dunk contest ruined by it being fixed

hype

shizzle09
02-20-2011, 02:53 PM

you're sig has got to be the lamest on this site. your point

RayRay
02-20-2011, 02:58 PM
It was nice but its no more impressive than Dr.J or MJ when you factor in height/wing span. The dunk contest is just terrible they need to stop having it already.

The Jokemaker
02-20-2011, 03:02 PM
I think it had more to do with the fact that Ibaka was an unknown. If Griffin had done that dunk it'd be hailed as one of the best alltime dunks.

Agar81
02-20-2011, 03:07 PM
^ Sad to say but The Jokemaker is correct

NYYCowboys
02-20-2011, 03:09 PM
It should have been DeRozen and Ibaka in the finals. I thought Ibaka's dunk where he dunked and took down the stuffed animal with his mouth was by far the best dunk of the whole contest.

Jazz Bear
02-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Was way better than Dr. J and Michael Jordans.

Supa
02-20-2011, 03:15 PM
On replay, you can clearly see his left shoe stepping on the line, so it's NOT behind the free throw line.

And the finish has no power, barely a dunk. After finish, he stumbled to find his balance.

Overall, it's not that good looking of a dunk. 45 is right on the mark.

---

BkOriginalOne
02-20-2011, 03:25 PM
The finish was kinda lame, I thought derozan was bounced from the competition a bit too early.

rhino17
02-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Blake dunked over the bumper of a car, that was hardly impressive

soonabooma
02-20-2011, 03:39 PM
People don't even understand how hard it is to do that dunk. Why do you think we rarely see guys doing it, not just in dunk contests, but in practice, at shootarounds, when they're just screwing around. It's a lot harder to take off from that line and actually dunk the ball than people think. And he clearly jumped a hell of a lot farther back than Dr. J, and MJ as well. What made MJs so great was the pose he did in the air. But a guy as tall as Serge can't be expected to pull off a pose like that. He did a dunk that regardless of whether or not it's been done, is still hard as hell for most guys to pull off, and he nailed it with ease. So like I said, those judges are freaking retards. They're not worthy of being in Serges presence, they're all a bunch of lame has beens.

Kenny Powders
02-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Can someone please tell me how Derozan's first dunk only got him a 44 while Blake's second dunk got him a 46? Seems to me that the DOD in Derozan's dunk was much higher.

ClayMatthews
02-20-2011, 03:45 PM
I thought it was crazy. A 45 was pathetic. Blake Griffins first dunk was good but he was overhyped and in my opinion was delt the scores for his name not his performance.

bringinwood
02-20-2011, 03:55 PM
They sold "Blake Griffon in the dunk contest" to death and it was hardly a performance worthy of the hype...

They had almost no choice but to award Blake the title after he was so overpublicized just for being in the contest....

naztrack
02-20-2011, 04:23 PM
the man finally got it right, the only one who really did a foul line dunk........ definitely under appreciated.

knicks4life33
02-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Everyone whose dunked from the free throw line has stepped on the line and serge didnt and all of you are hating lol dr j was way past the line when he dunked and jordans foot was more then half way over the line.

Baller1
02-20-2011, 04:29 PM
****ing robbed.

RCarlson85
02-20-2011, 04:48 PM
That dunk was sick! They didn't make a big enough deal out of it. Everyone made such a big deal on Dwight's superman dunk where he took off from inside the free throw line and threw the ball in. This was a legitimate free throw line dunk. It should have gotten a 50 on that dunk. They are way to quick to throw out 50s when they aren't deserved. The dunk contest has just become bogus.

NORMeaga
02-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Blake won because of the hype and the event being in LA....Demar Derozan had the best DUNK in the contest....The Showstopper was ridiculous

fadedmario
02-20-2011, 04:51 PM
he got jipped

RCarlson85
02-20-2011, 04:51 PM
On replay, you can clearly see his left shoe stepping on the line, so it's NOT behind the free throw line.

And the finish has no power, barely a dunk. After finish, he stumbled to find his balance.

Overall, it's not that good looking of a dunk. 45 is right on the mark.

---

Are you serious? So his toe was barely on the line, it was still better than Dr. J and MJ. Everyone makes a big deal out of their foul line dunks but this one was better than those. It's probably just because no one really knows who this guy is and he's not Dr. J or MJ.

redsox0717
02-20-2011, 04:58 PM
This whole contest is getting too over the top with all these scripted events and props. Whatever happened to just dunking? They should be judged on how good the dunk is, and not penalize them so much just because the dunk was done before. Bottom line is Ibaka took off further than Dr. J, Jordan, you name it, and deserves the top score. I don't care if it was attempted before. It was the best dunk.

RCarlson85
02-20-2011, 05:00 PM
This whole contest is getting too over the top with all these scripted events and props. Whatever happened to just dunking? They should be judged on how good the dunk is, and not penalize them so much just because the dunk was done before. Bottom line is Ibaka took off further than Dr. J, Jordan, you name it, and deserves the top score. I don't care if it was attempted before. It was the best dunk.

I agree with all of this...well said. It shouldn't matter if you do a dunk that someone's done before if you do it bigger and better than they did. That's what happened last night.

ElMarroAfamado
02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
This dunk deserved a 50....saying his height took away from it is not fair I mean look how tall Dr. J was?
and I have seen alot of people try it and Serge is probably the only one to actually do it behind the line...and he has jumped the furthest from the hoop...

ChiTownPacerFan
02-20-2011, 05:17 PM
It's hilarious that people are discrediting Serge's dunk because "it's been done before". Lmao. Okay, then why the fukin hell did Blake get a 46 for doing a windmill. I've seen people pull off that dunk in games. Scratch that, I've seen people pull off that dunk in college games. This dunk "contest" has become a complete joke.

J-Relo
02-20-2011, 05:30 PM
It's hilarious that people are discrediting Serge's dunk because "it's been done before". Lmao. Okay, then why the fukin hell did Blake get a 46 for doing a windmill. I've seen people pull off that dunk in games. Scratch that, I've seen people pull off that dunk in college games. This dunk "contest" has become a complete joke.

Agree.

Also the only new dunks were Mcgee's.

That free-throw dunk was worth more.

valade16
02-20-2011, 05:43 PM
That car dunk was so stupid. Take away the car and basically he 2 handed jammed it. Shoulda got a 20.

And I could jump over the hood of a car, anyone who's ever done high jump or long jump with any sort of success could do it.

Blake Griffin is like 6'10", I expected better.

OaklandsFinest
02-20-2011, 05:54 PM
most underrated dunk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjDE6bHVsMk

SHould've been McGee and DeRozan but McGee had used all his ideas in the first round and Blake finished stronger....

Steelers23_06
02-20-2011, 05:57 PM
...or maybe its one of the most overrated psd dunks. he is 6'10 meaning he is longer than jordan its far but not creative. its been done MANY times. so he got a lil farther omg its soooo amazing. stfu hahaha

Confusious
02-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Shoulda gotten a 60 out of 50. It was that good.

heattiltheend94
02-20-2011, 06:06 PM
I agree with all of this...well said. It shouldn't matter if you do a dunk that someone's done before if you do it bigger and better than they did. That's what happened last night.

exactly. Griffin repeated Vince Carter's dunk and added flair since he made it off the backboard. Ibaka deserves a 50 and considering that Dr J was one of the judges, he should know how hard it was.

killbumdeluxe13
02-20-2011, 06:16 PM
extremely underrated, should have been a 50. yes its been done over and over again but i have yet to see anyone take off from farther away than ibaka. mcgees dunks were underrated as well.

SEATTLEredsox
02-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Watching sportscenter last night, the analysts were talking about a bunch of the dunks last night. One of them said something like, "He's seven feet tall, he can basically lean over and dunk it from the free throw line. I give it a 7." My hate for ESPN is growing by the day, but I just can't stop watching it.

OT Thriller
02-20-2011, 06:49 PM
DeMar got robbed. That first dunk shouldve been higher than a 44 which wouldve advanced him over Griffin. I seriously think it was rigged for Griffin to win.

MTar786
02-20-2011, 08:38 PM
first guy to do it behind the foul line. blakes only good dunk was the vc wannabe one

Lakersfan2483
02-20-2011, 08:42 PM
They did my man Ibaka wrong, his dunk was nice....

AI4MVP
02-20-2011, 08:43 PM
anyone who says ibakas dunk is not underrated is also saying that michael jordan and dr. j's freethrow line dunks are overrated

Sadds The Gr8
02-20-2011, 08:43 PM
the fact that it was 45, and that Blake's windmill got a 46 after he ****ed up 80 times is a COMPLETE ****in joke.

tangent12
02-20-2011, 08:44 PM
I kinda agree with the fact he was under appreciated last night but I still think the best two dunkers made the finals last night.

MrfadeawayJB
02-21-2011, 04:07 PM
I think Demar Derozen's first eastbay off the side of the backboard dunk was unappreciated as well. No one else in the dunk contest could have done that

mrblisterdundee
02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
He's too tall for it to be great. Let's see Nate Robinson or even DeMar DeRozan go from the foul line, then we'll talk.