PDA

View Full Version : How many "Superstars" are in the NBA Right Now?

JordansBulls
02-19-2011, 10:27 AM
How many "Superstars" are in the NBA Right Now?

Albrecht Duerer
02-19-2011, 10:38 AM

rufo4100
02-19-2011, 10:38 AM
I would say that most all stars are considered superstars but no always all of them. I'd also say that there are sometimes players that are superstars but in the later part of their careers that dont make all star teams(like Shaq O'Neal). So to sum it up I'd say bout 25

barreleffact
02-19-2011, 10:40 AM
kobe
lebron
dwight

MiamiWadeCounty
02-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Wade, Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, and Yao. These guys are not just famous in the US and NBA, but around the world and social media. In terms of just basketball I'd say LBJ, Kobe, Dwight, Wade, KD, Dirk and CP3 are superstars.

Flash3
02-19-2011, 10:55 AM
wade,lebron,cp3,williams,kobe,rose,durant,dwight,d irk

Albrecht Duerer
02-19-2011, 10:57 AM
LeBron, Kobe, and Wade. Didn't think about how big Yao is in China though.

When you say super star, to me, that means someone that mainstream American knows when they see them on commercials. When I say mainstream America, that includes people who don't follow basketball. When Dwight Howard is on a commercial, I think a lot of people just know he's a basketball player.

Shaq is also recognizable in the way I defined super star even though he's a little off radar as a player.

So, Ill amend my list to include: LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Shaq, and maybe Yao.

tangent12
02-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Rose
Kobe
Wade
Dirk

Dwight is too soft to be considered a superstar. I can't take him seriously when all he does is giggle like a girl during crunch time.

barreleffact
02-19-2011, 11:07 AM
^ you have rose but not lebron??? interesting. and your bias against dwight is laughable at best. hes potentially the best in the league all around. he anchors a defense, has a solid offense now, and is his franchise. he is the premier center in the game to say the least. if he isnt a superstar idk who is...aside from LEBRON

Flash3
02-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Rose
Kobe
Wade
Dirk

Dwight is too soft to be considered a superstar. I can't take him seriously when all he does is giggle like a girl during crunch time.

haha :D you're funny.

Flash3
02-19-2011, 11:16 AM
superstars in "talent" or notoriety ?

Khalifa21
02-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Talent wise:

LeBron
Wade
Kobe
CP3
Dwight
Dirk
Durant
Melo
Stoudemire
Deron
Gasol
Rose

marlinsfan24
02-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Lebron
Wade
Kobe
Dwight
Durant

Those are the 5 superstars right now, with Rose on the cusp of joining them.

flea
02-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Pro-Bulls trolling in this thread. If the non-sports public knows Derrick Rose it's probably because they know he cheated on the SAT and forced Memphis to vacate their season.

Superstars in terms of marketing are (in order): Lebron, Kobe, Yao, Shaq, Wade, Howard. Manu, Dirk, and Gasol follow because of their home markets.

Superstars in terms of talent are (no order): Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Wade, and Howard.

MiamiWadeCounty
02-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Pro-Bulls trolling in this thread. If the non-sports public knows Derrick Rose it's probably because they know he cheated on the SAT and forced Memphis to vacate their season.

Superstars in terms of marketing are (in order): Lebron, Kobe, Yao, Shaq, Wade, Howard. Manu, Dirk, and Gasol follow because of their home markets.

Superstars in terms of talent are (no order): Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Wade, and Howard.

Agreed. Good post.

Young2Kinsler
02-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Talent wise:

LeBron
Wade
Kobe
CP3
Dwight
Durant
Melo
Stoudemire
Deron
Gasol
Rose

No Dirk, no list.

Albrecht Duerer
02-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Just because someone is heavily marketed, that doesn't make them a super star.

There should be a "grandmother rule". If your grandmother sees a commercial, would she know who it is and not just "there's a basketball player".

I don't think most grandmothers would know who Howard is.

Flash3
02-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Talent wise:

LeBron
Wade
Kobe
CP3
Dwight
Durant
Melo
Stoudemire
Deron
Gasol
Rose

amare but no dirk ?

Khalifa21
02-19-2011, 11:31 AM
No Dirk, no list.

amare but no dirk ?

My bad, knew I forgot someone. Added him to the list.

unleashthebeast
02-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Lebron
Wade
Kobe
Dwight
Durant

this. i could see kobe being replaced shortly though

barreleffact
02-19-2011, 11:42 AM
^only if his injuries start weighing a heavier toll than just on his defense and 3pt shooting

dnewguy
02-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I define a superstar by people who are above average NBA players. Lebron, Dirk, Duncan, Shaq, KG, Wade, Rose, CP3, Durrant, Kobe etc.

but only 3 legends so far, Kobe, Shaq and Duncan.

mballa22191
02-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Rose will be MVP, I understand not putting him on until then. Or until he wins a couple rounds. But he's def played like a super star in the first half of the season.

flea
02-19-2011, 11:48 AM
but only 3 legends so far, Kobe, Shaq and Duncan.
Agreed, though as much as I hate to admit it so soon, Lebron might fall into that category already as well. A legend is a top 5 at their position, imo. Kobe is probably a top 3 SG, Shaq is probably the 3rd best center (after Dream and Kareem), and Duncan is the best PF ever.

I'd already be comfortable saying Lebron is a top 5 SF. I've got Bird, Erving, Wilkins, and Pippen that all have a convincing argument over Lebron at the moment. I'm not saying when Lebron is done they'll be better than him, but they all have the longevity factor right now (sort of how Gehrig and Foxx edge Pujols right now but when it's all said and done who knows).

marlinsfan24
02-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Rose will be MVP, I understand not putting him on until then. Or until he wins a couple rounds. But he's def played like a super star in the first half of the season.

One season doesn't make you a superstar IMO. If he does this again next season, I will have no problem putting him in there. Like I said, he's on the cusp of being a superstar.

BklynKnicks3
02-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Kobe,lecon,wade.Kd,Melo,rose,d12,amre,cp3,dwill,di rk

MGB
02-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Pro-Bulls trolling in this thread. If the non-sports public knows Derrick Rose it's probably because they know he cheated on the SAT and forced Memphis to vacate their season.Superstars in terms of marketing are (in order): Lebron, Kobe, Yao, Shaq, Wade, Howard. Manu, Dirk, and Gasol follow because of their home markets.

Right, because he doesn't have multiple major commercials and sponsor deals...you sound like a butthurt.

irishkid1691
02-19-2011, 12:30 PM
no mike james love yet in this post?

flea
02-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Every star in a major market has sponsorship and major commercials, in their market. Amare, Dirk, Ellis, Griffin, D-Will, CP3, etc. That doesn't make you a national star. You're the one that sounds offended - I don't particularly care.

ManRam
02-19-2011, 12:40 PM
LeBron
Dwight
Kobe
Wade
Durant (last summer's hype really blew him up)

meloman1592
02-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Yes im a melo fan but honestly, why do i see names like deron williams,chris paul and kevin durant and not carmelo?? What have they done?? Dwight i can live with because hes probably the best 2-way player in the league (offense-defense). Durant is overrated because he's young so people are judging based on what he can be. Cp3 is the man i admit but theres nothing he's done for his team that melo hasnt done for the nuggets. He made the hornets relevant again....as did melo for denver. Williams?? Seriously?? No way is he more of a superstar than melo. And im not even going to get into dirk nowitzki. In my opinion, after lbj, kobe, and perhaps wade, i dont see anyone better.

The BodyGuard
02-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Durant
Kobe
Howard
Rose
Blake Griffin

barreleffact
02-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Yes im a melo fan but honestly, why do i see names like deron williams,chris paul and kevin durant and not carmelo?? What have they done?? Dwight i can live with because hes probably the best 2-way player in the league (offense-defense). Durant is overrated because he's young so people are judging based on what he can be. Cp3 is the man i admit but theres nothing he's done for his team that melo hasnt done for the nuggets. He made the hornets relevant again....as did melo for denver. Williams?? Seriously?? No way is he more of a superstar than melo. And im not even going to get into dirk nowitzki. In my opinion, after lbj, kobe, and perhaps wade, i dont see anyone better.

dwight is clearly better as well and there are plenty of debateable players as you have mentioned but to make that last statement....only a melo fan could think that.

Ollie Tabooger
02-19-2011, 12:58 PM

Billups made Denver relevant again.

RedRicanoBx
02-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Dam no melo ?

He has the best shooter out of all the sf"s u guys r nuts

Sportfan
02-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Rose
Kobe
Wade
Dirk

lolwut.

Khalifa21
02-19-2011, 01:04 PM
I love all the haters who are leaving out LeBron... Just making yourself look foolish.

sep11ie
02-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Monta Ellis

sep11ie
02-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Mike Miller
Troy Murphy
Jeff Foster
Brian Scalabrine
Jay Williams
Adam Morrison
Bob Sura
Anyone who's last name is Barry
Chase Budinger
Kevin Love
Payton Hillis

ManRam
02-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Dam no melo ?

Yes, because being a good shooter is the only criteria for superstardom...

:rolleyes:

DwayneMVPwade
02-19-2011, 01:26 PM
1. Lebron
2. Dwayne Wade
3. Kobe
4. Cp3
5. Dwight
6. D-Rose
7. Dirk
8. Durant
9. D-Will

hugepatsfan
02-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Lebron
Kobe
Wade
CP3
Dwight

DwayneMVPwade
02-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Durant
Kobe
Howard
Rose
Blake Griffin

I wouldnt say Blake is a superstar yet. If the clippers were winning a lot more he would be a superstar

NYKjayBalla
02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Lebron
Wade
Kobe
Dwight
Durant

agreed except for dwight i wouldnt put him there because yes he anchors his D and yeah where would the magic be without him BUT he is replaceable the way the league is nowadays being guard and forward oriented thus why the magic arent TRUE title contenders just on the cusp and as for all those who put Dirk WHY?? he barely plays D he's a more accomplished taller Melo if anything and is the best player on a good team Wade Lebron Kobe Durant all play on a transcendent level on BOTH sides of the ball.

Avenged
02-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard
Durant
Dirk

These are the only guys I see as superstars.

Rose will make the list next season.

RZZZA
02-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Just because someone is heavily marketed, that doesn't make them a super star.

There should be a "grandmother rule". If your grandmother sees a commercial, would she know who it is and not just "there's a basketball player".

I don't think most grandmothers would know who Howard is.

my grandmother wouldn't know any ball player except michael jordan

Doogolas
02-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Also, on the "The only reason the public would know Rose is because of him cheating on his SATs" that doesn't even make sense. I know a ton of Bulls fans that don't even know that. It's really not a particularly widely known thing, I'm pretty sure only Memphis fans and avid NBA fans know that happened. Not the general public. :laugh2:

Minimal
02-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Lebron
Wade
Kobe
Dwight
Durant
Paul

OnslaughtXX6
02-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Durant
Kobe
Howard
Rose
Blake Griffin

lulz

OnslaughtXX6
02-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I think Rose has already achieved superstar status.

LebronJamesWest
02-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Mike Miller
Troy Murphy
Jeff Foster
Brian Scalabrine
Jay Williams
Adam Morrison
Bob Sura
Anyone who's last name is Barry
Chase Budinger
Kevin Love
Payton Hillis

you forgot lebron and kobe

TylerSL
02-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Lebron
Wade
Kobe
Howard
Durant
Dirk

Cano4prez
02-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Monta Ellis.

JLynn943
02-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm taking superstar to be the top tier, most talented players right now, so:

LeBron
Dwight
Wade

second tier (not in order), I'd say:
Kobe
Rose
Paul
Deron Williams
Amare
Melo
Dirk

oh, and Monta

smith&wesson
02-19-2011, 02:45 PM
What defines a super star ?

we know what an all star is, its someone who makes the all star team obviously, a super star is like a global icon i guess? i just think theres no arguement because theres no clear definition.

justinnum1
02-19-2011, 02:48 PM
All the superstars are either in cali or florida

RZZZA
02-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Kobe is still a super star. His skill level may have dropped off, he may have gotten lazy, but ask a guy in China or Botswana about which basketball players they know and they'll say 1) Michael Jordan 2) Kobe and 3) Lebron James

RedRicanoBx
02-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Yes, because being a good shooter is the only criteria for superstardom...

:rolleyes:

He drops like 30 everytime on lebron who is a superstar " " smh

GodsSon
02-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Kobe is still a super star. His skill level may have dropped off, he may have gotten lazy, but ask a guy in China or Botswana about which basketball players they know and they'll say 1) Michael Jordan 2) Kobe and 3) Lebron James

Ya, you're wrong.

I was in Spain/Portugal this past summer and in Cuba the summer before while the playoffs were going on, casual fans all seemed to know who Kobe was, but had no idea who LeBron was.

RZZZA
02-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Ya, you're wrong.

I was in Spain/Portugal this past summer and in Cuba the summer before while the playoffs were going on, casual fans all seemed to know who Kobe was, but had no idea who LeBron was.

thats really strange

RedRicanoBx
02-19-2011, 03:01 PM
And is it's about stardom he's in the middle of nowhereeeeee how can he be a global icon ? -____-

GodsSon
02-19-2011, 03:02 PM
thats really strange

I'm sure Cubans will become more familiar with him now that he's in Miami, but it goes to show you just how big of a global icon Kobe is. Especially when you compare how both names are synonymous here in North America.

I guess it's true what they say, winning does mean everything.

nycericanguy
02-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Lebron
Wade
Kobe
Dwight
Durant

CP3 & D-Will not superstars? And Durant is but Melo isn't?

Its Lebron, Wade, Kobe & Howard and then a very slight notch below comes

Cp3
Dwil
Durant
Melo
Amare
Dirk
Rose

did i miss anyone?

UKblazers
02-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Lebron

Dwight
Wade
Kobe
Dirk

Rose
CP3(assuming knee doesn't get worse,doesn't look healthy)
Durant
Melo
D Will

rhino17
02-19-2011, 03:07 PM
I consider a superstar a player that a legitimate contender can be built around

so, in no particular order

Lebron
Kobe
Durant
Wade
Melo
Dwight
Deron
Paul
Dirk

Rose and Griffin might move in soon, but they have to prove themselves more than a single season

Guys that have fallen off the list due to age and injury include Duncan, Yao, etc

magichatnumber9
02-19-2011, 03:08 PM
What's a superstar?

RZZZA
02-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Rose and Griffin might move in soon, but they have to prove themselves more than a single season

Yeah...I think Rose has already proven more than Griffin.

marlinsfan24
02-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Rose needs to play at this level for another season and this post season and he'll be there. Griffin has a bit more to go.

Hustlenomics
02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
no Monta Ellis or any Celtic players?!
edit: melo should be on every list!

sep11ie
02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
What's a superstar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVr2uks0C8

shizzle09
02-19-2011, 03:27 PM
kobe
lebron
dwight

LMFAO, Wade is simply a star according to you?

nshush
02-19-2011, 03:28 PM
3 TRUE superstars:

LeBron
Wade
Kobe

Others are just stars as of now.

knicks4life33
02-19-2011, 03:32 PM
amare , wade , melo, dirk, rose, kobe , durant, howard , cp3 , deron and who am i missing oh yea lebron

shizzle09
02-19-2011, 03:32 PM
LBJ
Wade
Howard
Paul
Durant
Rose (think its safe to say he's achieved superstar status)

Of course you probably have to consider the celtics big 3, Duncan, Dirk and D Will. oh yeah and Melo. haha

shizzle09
02-19-2011, 03:34 PM
no Monta Ellis or any Celtic players?!
edit: melo should be on every list!

for some reason this guy gets no love. the most underated player i've ever seen.

Skizzik
02-19-2011, 03:38 PM
For anyone leaving Dirk out of the global recognition conversation...well, Europe sure as hell knows who he is. I'm pretty sure China knows who he is (when Yao was healthy, they'd play him four times a year, more than any of the other players outside of our division and played a 7 game playoff series versus him in 2005). Dirk has been on the cover of SI and GQ... Sure, he's not Kobe or Lebron or Yao. But acting like he doesn't have international recognition is silly. He probably is more likely to be recognized globally than most NBA players.

And as for his play, he's been an MVP and his team has won at least 50 games every year for the last decade (over most of that time with him as the key cog). And I'm sure someone will bring up his lack of championship (if championships = superstar, sorry Lebron) and try calling him a choker (check his playoff numbers, they're better than his regular season numbers...if anyone choked, it was his teammates, not him).

Dirk is certainly a superstar in my book. If you disagree, that's fine, superstar isn't a defined term. But just wanted to dispel the two poor arguments used against him in this thread.

Avenged
02-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Monta a superstar? based off what?

shizzle09
02-19-2011, 03:46 PM
For anyone leaving Dirk out of the global recognition conversation...well, Europe sure as hell knows who he is. I'm pretty sure China knows who he is (when Yao was healthy, they'd play him four times a year, more than any of the other players outside of our division and played a 7 game playoff series versus him in 2005). Dirk has been on the cover of SI and GQ... Sure, he's not Kobe or Lebron or Yao. But acting like he doesn't have international recognition is silly. He probably is more likely to be recognized globally than most NBA players.

And as for his play, he's been an MVP and his team has won at least 50 games every year for the last decade (over most of that time with him as the key cog). And I'm sure someone will bring up his lack of championship (if championships = superstar, sorry Lebron) and try calling him a choker (check his playoff numbers, they're better than his regular season numbers...if anyone choked, it was his teammates, not him).

Dirk is certainly a superstar in my book. If you disagree, that's fine, superstar isn't a defined term. But just wanted to dispel the two poor arguments used against him in this thread.

He certainly is worthy of beinga superstar. it's probably the fact that he doesnt get much media love. He has no commercials that get any major play. no endorsement deals that get him air time. Dirks seems to worry more about his game on the court than anything off the court which could cost him the label "superstar". Definitely not a bad thing, especially for Mavs fans

shizzle09
02-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Monta a superstar? based off what?

Monta is not a superstar. He is a damn good basketball player that everyone loves to disregard. Very underrated.

UKblazers
02-19-2011, 03:52 PM
At what point between being Nash's sidekick and having the knicks 2 games over .500 did amare become a superstar....he's one of my favourite players but I just dont see it.

Skizzik
02-19-2011, 03:53 PM
He certainly is worthy of beinga superstar. it's probably the fact that he doesnt get much media love. He has no commercials that get any major play. no endorsement deals that get him air time. Dirks seems to worry more about his game on the court than anything off the court which could cost him the label "superstar". Definitely not a bad thing, especially for Mavs fans

Yeah, I agree there. He doesn't have any shoes (which seem to be the bulk of NBA players' commercials). As I said, I'm fine with people who don't think he's a superstar if they personally define it in that way. I'm not here to tell anyone their opinion is wrong. I was just dispelling a couple things I saw about him in here that were just plain wrong. He certainly would suffer if we only spoke about recognition inside the US, but once you start going overseas, I think Dirk holds the advantage over most players and it certainly isn't a lack of talent.

MJ-BULLS
02-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Lebron James
D Wade
Derrick Rose
D Howard
Dirk

Flash3
02-19-2011, 03:57 PM
thats really strange

i went to puerto rico same thing no one knew who lebron was all they knew was kobe,MJ and carloss arryo :o

BALLER71
02-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Rose
Kobe
Wade
Dirk

So the best player in the nba is not a superstar?

And the most dominant center is not a superstar?

Dude, you're a joke.

Flash3
02-19-2011, 04:15 PM
So the best player in the nba is not a superstar?

And the most dominant center is not a joke?

Dude, you're a joke.

tangent doesn't like lebron or dwight for that matter.

Lake_Show2416
02-19-2011, 04:28 PM
about 5

Kobe
Lebron
Durant
Wade
Melo

Kashmir13579
02-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Kobe, Lebron, Nash, Wade, Paul.

Kashmir13579
02-19-2011, 04:35 PM

:laugh:

Rose is not a superstar...

JordansBulls
02-19-2011, 05:16 PM
I would say about 8 (Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Dwight, Durant, Rose, CP3, Dirk)

RZZZA
02-19-2011, 05:41 PM
:laugh:

Rose is not a superstar...

Try some reading comprehension

Flash3
02-19-2011, 05:49 PM
I would say about 8 (Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Dwight, Durant, Rose, CP3, Dirk)

i know he's not performing well this year but doesn't mean he should completely omitted from the list. (deron)

Ethix11
02-19-2011, 05:51 PM
It pains me whenever people don't consider D Wade a superstar. Just wait until the playoffs. That being said, Wade, LeBron and Kobe are the only players that can manipulate the final minutes and will their teams to victory because they're that good. Dwight needs to have the ball passed to him to be effective so he isnt that much of a game changer but is the best 2nd option you could ask for. CP3 is so good he will allow his team to flow and be the main reason his team wins. But he needs the support of his teammates to help him acheive that success. KD is as good as it gets but he will always have to rely on his jumper and they wont always go in. Melo can drive too but he isnt a game changer on defense so hes only half as good and not in this conversation. Dirk is similar. Stat is a poor mans Dwight. These are all stars but there are only 3 superstars in the league in this order.
1)Wade
2)Kobe
2)LeBron
That's no misprint.

JordansBulls
02-19-2011, 06:05 PM
i know he's not performing well this year but doesn't mean he should completely omitted from the list. (deron)

I thought about Deron but I don't think he is a superstar. I think a Superstar is a someone who has to at least start in the allstar game and 10 guys can start in an allstar game.

Flash3
02-19-2011, 06:13 PM
I thought about Deron but I don't think he is a superstar. I think a Superstar is a someone who has to at least start in the allstar game and 10 guys can start in an allstar game.

allstar games don't mean much. williams was considered the best pg in the league just last year ( or atleast in the discussion)

LA_Raiders
02-19-2011, 06:20 PM
1- The Black Mamba
2- Superman
3- Flash & CryBroom are more like cowards
4- Durant (Not there yet IMO)
5- CP3 & Rose (Getting there)

BkOriginalOne
02-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Note there is a difference btw Super star and franchise player

1. Kobe
2. Lebron
3. Wade
4. Melo
5. Howard
6. Shaq
7. Stoudemire (as of playing in NY)

Flash3
02-19-2011, 06:23 PM
1- The Black Mamba
2- Superman
3- Flash & CryBroom are more like cowards
4- Durant (Not there yet IMO)
5- CP3 & Rose (Getting there)

how old are you ?

kobebabe
02-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Dwight

Anilyzer
02-19-2011, 06:47 PM

counting Bieber, Kim Kardashian and Khloe Kardashian... approximately 100

Anilyzer
02-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Note there is a difference btw Super star and franchise player

1. Kobe
2. Lebron
3. Wade
4. Melo
5. Howard
6. Shaq
7. Stoudemire (as of playing in NY)

Nowitzki is very popular in Germany and Thailand

Anilyzer
02-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Turkoglu is a legend in, you guessed it, Turkey

RZZZA
02-19-2011, 06:49 PM
thailand? why thailand?

RZZZA
02-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Turkoglu is a legend in, you guessed it, Turkey

what about Omer Asik, he must be well liked in turkey too

abe_froman
02-19-2011, 06:51 PM

he's pretty unknown still by casual and non fans,so i dont think i'd call him a superstar.

JordansBulls
02-19-2011, 07:10 PM
allstar games don't mean much. williams was considered the best pg in the league just last year ( or atleast in the discussion)

Deron and Melo are pretty much the same as far as superstars are concerned.

Flash3
02-19-2011, 07:11 PM
he's pretty unknown still by casual and non fans,so i dont think i'd call him a superstar.

oh i thought were basing it off talent b

meloman1592
02-19-2011, 07:17 PM
1-Lbj
2-Kobe
3-Wade
4-Melo
5-Dwight
6-Cp3
7-Durant
8-Rose
9-Williams
10-Dirk/Amar'e(Toss up)

Skizzik
02-19-2011, 07:54 PM
There is some Dirk hate from the defensive end...you guys should actually look at something of value instead of basing Dirk's defense off previous years. Like these stats:

What will really shock you, however, is Dirk's defense. He's allowing just 29% FG shooting in the post. He's certainly not defending top-level post players, but that's still incredible for a guy often criticized for his defense. Same with isolation, where he's allowing just 36.4% shooting. (Numbers courtesy of Synergy Sports.)
(The quote is off an article on CBS Sports, however, as the quote notes, the stats are from Synergy Sports).

Dirk has vastly improved on D and the people saying he only plays on half the court are just ignorant people who never watch the Mavs or even look at stats to check if they're right.

nolafan33
02-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Paul, Deron, Kobe, Durant, Rose, Lebron, Wade, Dwight.

That's the superstars, there are tons of stars.

JordansBulls
02-19-2011, 10:16 PM

Yep and he didn't get a lot of hype coming out of college either.

tbone2171
02-19-2011, 10:48 PM

Dude, why do you open all these dumb subjective threads?

THINKBLUE15
02-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Wade, Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, and Yao. These guys are not just famous in the US and NBA, but around the world and social media. In terms of just basketball I'd say LBJ, Kobe, Dwight, Wade, KD, Dirk and CP3 are superstars.
Bingo

barreleffact
02-19-2011, 11:17 PM

regardless of numbers, his play vs big teams has been vastly overlooked this season. vs boston they lose because of him. wade has an injury history im still not ready to write off. most importantly, how can you be considered a superstar without being the main man on your team? it was hard to glorify lebron and diss wade, but there is no such thing as a superstar number 2 in his prime

JordansBulls
02-20-2011, 12:49 AM

Not me.

abe_froman
02-20-2011, 12:58 AM
oh i thought were basing it off talent b

no,my definition of superstar has to do with fame.you can get that fame in a verity of ways(talent is one of them).if you can reach our beyond our sport,transcend it and have people who arent diehard fans like us know your name than your one.

RulerSlick
02-20-2011, 01:09 AM
These are the only superstars. Superstars I the kind of players who people shell out money on the road to see play...

Kobe
lebron
wade
dwight

I'll throw Yao in but this mostly because of his Chinese fanbase and Shaq even though he's washed up

..Durant, Rose, Cp3 types aren't superstars..

John Walls Era
02-20-2011, 01:31 AM
Only 1: Blake Griffin.

JordansBulls
02-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Only 1: Blake Griffin.

:confused:

Jbone pownsALL
02-21-2011, 06:08 PM
lebron kobe durant wade dwight and d rose so 6

chitown815
02-21-2011, 06:20 PM
tier 1
Lebron
tier 2
kobe, rose, wade
tier 3
dwight, stoudemire, melo, durant, cp3

Flash3
02-21-2011, 06:23 PM
1-Lbj
2-Kobe
3-Wade
4-Melo
5-Dwight
6-Cp3
7-Durant
8-Rose
9-Williams
10-Dirk/Amar'e(Toss up)

wut ?

Bravo95
02-21-2011, 09:04 PM

I agree with this.

sunsfan88
02-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Nash.

Hunter48MVP
02-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Everyone is a superstar in the NBA.

Bornknick73
02-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Talent wise:

LeBron
Wade
Kobe
CP3
Dwight
Dirk
Durant
Melo
Stoudemire
Deron
Gasol
Rose

Every player you said except Gasol. Pau is good but hes far from a superstar.

Create
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
No one is a superstar until they score 1000 points in a game.

JordansBulls
02-22-2011, 12:53 PM

:confused:

KnicksorBust
02-22-2011, 04:49 PM

I'm afraid to ask if they need any rebounds or assists.

kArSoN RyDaH
02-22-2011, 05:07 PM

KObe
Yao Ming
Lebron
Dwight
Shaq

based off who can be recognized by non basketball fans. i think that really determines who the superstars are.

Shaq is still a superstar despite his play. he is known everywhere.
dwight? still can be argued but the other 4 yea.

JordansBulls
02-22-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm afraid to ask if they need any rebounds or assists.

:cheers:

JordansBulls
02-23-2011, 01:22 AM

KObe
Yao Ming
Lebron
Dwight
Shaq

based off who can be recognized by non basketball fans. i think that really determines who the superstars are.

Shaq is still a superstar despite his play. he is known everywhere.
dwight? still can be argued but the other 4 yea.

You have the list for top 10 in jersey sales? That would be a good indication as well.

knicks09
02-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Dam no melo ?

This. Lol since he's a Knick he's trash now ?

Lakersfan2483
02-23-2011, 01:58 AM
Superstars: Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Howard, Melo, K. Durant, Dirk, CP3, Rose, D. Williams

Shaq, Duncan and KG are no longer in the superstar category because of their age and diminished skills as a result of getting older.

stlbest5in2013
02-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Talent wise:

LeBron
Wade
Kobe
CP3
Dwight
Dirk
Durant
Melo
Stoudemire
Deron
Gasol
Rose

sure amare deserves to be there if were going off of popularity. but actual skill, in no way , shape or form is amare a top 10 player in the league. he is not even a complete player

stlbest5in2013
02-23-2011, 02:53 AM
Every player you said except Gasol. Pau is good but hes far from a superstar.

lol im not trying to dog amare, but pau gasol is 10x the better all around player then amare.

gasol can reboun, gasol can defend. amare may be able to, but he does not like to

stlbest5in2013
02-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Right, because he doesn't have multiple major commercials and sponsor deals...you sound like a butthurt.

and the whole word knows that two of those players do not handle business like a man. there is no need to name them. the whole world knows who i am talking about.

sciferguy
02-23-2011, 02:57 AM
I know my boy Roy has been injured this year but I am gonna throw his name in this convo from the numbers he has put up over the last 3/4 years.

Jewelz0376
02-23-2011, 02:59 AM
lol im not trying to dog amare, but pau gasol is 10x the better all around player then amare.

gasol can reboun, gasol can defend. amare may be able to, but he does not like to

take it from someone who watches EVER laker game..Pau is def not 10x better than Amare...

stlbest5in2013
02-23-2011, 03:00 AM
These are the only superstars. Superstars I the kind of players who people shell out money on the road to see play...

Kobe
lebron
wade
dwight

I'll throw Yao in but this mostly because of his Chinese fanbase and Shaq even though he's washed up

..Durant, Rose, Cp3 types aren't superstars..

you have a point other then the staples center was chanting mvp for rose when the bulls played the clippers last time. im not sayign every where, but people come out to see derrick rose

Jewelz0376
02-23-2011, 03:00 AM
I know my boy Roy has been injured this year but I am gonna throw his name in this convo from the numbers he has put up over the last 3/4 years.

when healthy he's def the best sg in the league behind kobe & wade...but he's hurt to much....the best ability is availability...

sciferguy
02-23-2011, 03:01 AM
Nash.

Yeah definately should be up there above Rose. He may be older but he is still putting up good numbers.

redwhitenblue
02-23-2011, 03:02 AM
Yeah definately should be up there above Rose. He may be older but he is still putting up good numbers.
Nowhere near the level of Rose. Rose also has a bigger market to work with and is on the quick rise while Nash's level of popularity is certainly declining.

Confusious
02-23-2011, 03:03 AM
Monta Ellis
Don't forget Stephen Curry. :clap:

Kevj77
02-23-2011, 03:06 AM
The term is overused. People that aren't superstars get called superstars. People like MJ, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Kareem, Russel, Duncan, Shaq ect.. were superstars. Today there are maybe 5-6 legit superstars like Lebron, Kobe, Dirk, Wade, Howard. Then there are the stars that aren't superstars, but damn great players maybe even HOF types.

sciferguy
02-23-2011, 03:16 AM
Nowhere near the level of Rose. Rose also has a bigger market to work with and is on the quick rise while Nash's level of popularity is certainly declining.

Dont get me wrong Rose is good...but to say Nash is nowhere near the level of Rose is stretching it a bit...i know you might be a super homer when it comes to your teams but give respect when its due please

kArSoN RyDaH
02-23-2011, 03:19 AM
You won't see people in foreign countries knowing about Kevin Durant or CP3. Seriously.

Kobe/Shaq/Lebron/Dwight(Possibly)/and Yao Ming

Who, who isn't an NBA fan, doesn't know about these guys?

Yeah the casual fan knows about Rose, DWill, Wade, etc. but they aren't household names when speaking about basketball in my opinion.

Amongst NBA players? I guess, yeah. But internationally those players are the only superstars there are.

redwhitenblue
02-23-2011, 03:36 AM
Dont get me wrong Rose is good...but to say Nash is nowhere near the level of Rose is stretching it a bit...i know you might be a super homer when it comes to your teams but give respect when its due please
Rose's play is already superior, Nash hasn't won a championship to make him more notable and Rose already is working more wide-publicsized endorsements.

It's really not as close as you think. Rose is alongside CP3 as the most notable and well-known PG, following them closely is D-Will and Tony Parker. After them you get the group including Nash, Curry and Westbrook.

heatbb
02-23-2011, 07:52 AM
James
Durant
Wade
Howard
Bryant

the rest...

Players like Rose and Nowitzki are known for everyone around the world, who watch sport news. This doesn't make them superstars. Dirk was one but has lost a bit popularity with his inability to lead his team in the playoffs. Rose is still young (22?) and has some things to learn before becoming a superstar, but in 2 years (maybe even next) he has to be counted as a superstar, specially if he continues to lead the Bulls the way they're playing roght now.

This comes from a person whose nearest US city is 4000 miles away

Philly 4 Life
02-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Kobe
Lebron
Wade
KD
Rose
Adam Morrison
Chuck Norris

Philly 4 Life
02-23-2011, 08:52 AM
and y do people keep saying shaq is a superstar, if you made that arguement 10 years or even 6 years ago i would say yes, but the dude is almost washed up and not a superstar anymore...i respect the guy probably one of the greastest if not the greatest center of all time, but he jus isnt a superstar anymore

AIRMAR72
02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
my opinion of a SUPERstar is a guy who plays consistent at both end of da court with fire and passion every single nite superstars are rare but star players are everywhere

JordansBulls
02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
my opinion of a SUPERstar is a guy who plays consistent at both end of da court with fire and passion every single nite superstars are rare but star players are everywhere

Guys like Barkley, Magic and Bird didn't play both ends.

JordansBulls
02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I think Melo is a superstar and will be much more well known now.

Car Ramrod
02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Kobe, Shaq, Yao.....maybe Lebron.

I would define superstar as a brandable name outside of the basketball market.

Everyone knew the face of Jordan, Magic, Bird. Ask a non-basketball fan to name who is in a picture of Wade, Rose etc. and see what happens.

Think of a sport you don't follow and who's the first name that comes to mind. Thats the superstar.

Beckham, Federer, Jeter, Bieber.....superstars are not always the best at their profession but they are the ones that stick in your memory.

Rentzias
02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
This was a pretty good, nerdy article posted in the statistics forum, but it measures "superstar" in terms of wins and $$.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/deal-for-anthony-may-limit-knicks-upside/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

jim51990
02-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Lebron
Wade
Kobe
Dwight
Durant

i would say this with
d-will,cp3,rose,rondo right on the next level

TheDiggler
02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
2: Lebron and Kobe.

JordansBulls
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
2: Lebron and Kobe.

A lot more than 2.