PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Hall of Fame announces 12 Finalists

JordansBulls
02-18-2011, 06:00 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/02/18/HOF-finalists.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Dennis Rodman, Jamaal Wilkes and Tex Winter are among 12 finalists for induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

They were announced Friday in Los Angeles, where the NBA All-Star game will be played this weekend.

Rodman was the flamboyant rebounder who won five NBA titles with Chicago and Detroit; Wilkes won four NBA titles with Golden State and the Lakers after starring at UCLA; and Winter was the architect of the triangle and triple-post offense.

The other finalists are former NBA stars Maurice Cheeks, Chris Mullin and Ralph Sampson, five-time Olympian Teresa Edwards, Stanford women's coach Tara VanDerveer, former NBA coach Dick Motta, Philadelphia University coach Herb Magee, college referee Hank Nichols, and Al Attles, the current vice president and assistant general manager of the Golden State Warriors.

Those elected to the Hall of Fame will be introduced April 3 at the men's Final Four in Houston. The induction ceremony is at the hall in Springfield, Mass., from Aug. 11-13.

xbrackattackx
02-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Rodman! Yes!

smith&wesson
02-18-2011, 06:50 PM
RODMAN !!! wow i cant beleive they are letting him in. lol

he deserves it he was a great player. but wow what a suprize. because he was a serious head case.

Rego247
02-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Rodman, heelll yess.

Hellcrooner
02-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Sampson over R miller is big fail.
Dude was great TWO MINUTES but then injurys turned him into a big nothing ( he even failed here in spain)

PrettyBoyJ
02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Im surprised with Rodman.. Happy he's getting in he deserves it

Chronz
02-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Someone remind me what Ralph Sampson accomplished

DMasta718
02-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Finally Rodman is getting his due. He deserves it.

Albrecht Duerer
02-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Sampson over R miller is big fail.
Dude was great TWO MINUTES but then injurys turned him into a big nothing ( he even failed here in spain)

He might also be getting in for his time in college. The basketball hall of fame includes both college and pro.

Albrecht Duerer
02-18-2011, 08:14 PM

He's one of only two people to win the Naismith Award three times in college.

xbrackattackx
02-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I think Sampson is getting the nod for his humility and charitable attitude that he has shown and good name he gave the nba.

JordansBulls
02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
RODMAN !!! wow i cant beleive they are letting him in. lol

he deserves it he was a great player. but wow what a suprize. because he was a serious head case.

He doesn't deserve to get in over Kemp, KJ, Hardaway, Mullin, REggie, Gilmore to name a few

Rodman was like the 3rd best player on his teams. If he were your best player, you may not ever had made the playoffs. With those other guys they got to the finals or conference finals multiple times as the 1a/1b option on there teams. Kemp in 1996 was a 1b to Payton's 1a. KJ led the Suns to the Conference finals beating Malone/Stockton in 1990 and then Magic/Worthy the next round. Mullin was on the 1st dream team so that to me puts him in as a pro.

If you are going to put a guy in the Hall of Fame for having 2 allstar game appearances then you might as well put Rose in now or put in Big Z, Jamison, etc.

Bruno
02-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Tex Winter? It's about time. It would be great if he was inducted into the HOF before he passes on. He is 88, was born in 1922.

Regarding Mullins, Cheeks, and Sampson, how long have they been eligible? Any one know?

Albrecht Duerer
02-18-2011, 09:06 PM
He doesn't deserve to get in over Kemp, KJ, Hardaway, Mullin, REggie, Gilmore to name a few

Rodman was like the 3rd best player on his teams. If he were your best player, you may not ever had made the playoffs. With those other guys they got to the finals or conference finals multiple times as the 1a/1b option on there teams. Kemp in 1996 was a 1b to Payton's 1a. KJ led the Suns to the Conference finals beating Malone/Stockton in 1990 and then Magic/Worthy the next round. Mullin was on the 1st dream team so that to me puts him in as a pro.

If you are going to put a guy in the Hall of Fame for having 2 allstar game appearances then you might as well put Rose in now or put in Big Z, Jamison, etc.

Basing it on all star appearances lacks intellectual honesty though. Everyone knows thats a popularity contest and all about guys who can score for the most part.

Of all the guys you mentioned, none of them were better at the things they did than Rodman was at the things he did.

Hellcrooner
02-18-2011, 09:44 PM

You simply dont leave out the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER EVER who also is a top 3 rebounder ever ( Best one imo, since he was like a head shorter than the rest of great rebounders)

Hellcrooner
02-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Tex Winter? It's about time. It would be great if he was inducted into the HOF before he passes on. He is 88, was born in 1922.

Regarding Mullins, Cheeks, and Sampson, how long have they been eligible? Any one know?

its 7 years after retiring right?

then Cheeks has been there like 15 years, Sampson like 12 mullin ,,,,,mmm 3rd or 4th eligible year posibly.

dont remember the exacxt retiring dates.

Hellcrooner
02-18-2011, 09:49 PM

Ncaa acomplishments i guess.

IN the nba reach the finals vs celtics as a sideckick to Hakeem.

Injurys, nothing good on the kings.

7 points per game on a MEDIOCRE spanish team in 1991 when Usa team defeated everybody by 30+ ppg and any lousy american picked in the 4th round on the 80s scored 20 ppg in europe.

Kakaroach
02-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Such an insane shame there is no Reggie Miller.

D Roses Bulls
02-18-2011, 09:54 PM

well it's called the basketball hall of fame, not the NBA hall of fame. he was a great college player and made it to the all star game in the NBA i believe 3 or 4 times. injuries just slowed him own big time.

Bruno
02-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Such an insane shame there is no Reggie Miller.

He'll get in eventually. I suppose the other guys have also done a lot and have been waiting longer.

Bruno
02-18-2011, 10:06 PM

then Cheeks has been there like 15 years, Sampson like 12 mullin ,,,,,mmm 3rd or 4th eligible year posibly.

Thanks Crooner.

JordansBulls
02-20-2011, 03:09 PM

It's 5 full years after retiring. So let's say you retire in 2011. That means 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 are the 5 years and 2017 is the first year you are eligible for the hall.

Bruno
02-20-2011, 06:02 PM
It's 5 full years after retiring. So let's say you retire in 2011. That means 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 are the 5 years and 2017 is the first year you are eligible for the hall.

Ah, thanks for the heads up JB.

LTBaByyy
02-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Ralph Sampson is getting in bc of College!!!!

It's not the NBA hall of fame, come on people

JordansBulls
02-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Ralph Sampson is getting in bc of College!!!!

It's not the NBA hall of fame, come on people

You should still have to a lot in the NBA to get in. NBA should be 60% while International Play 25% and College 15%.