PDA

View Full Version : What does Atlanta need to win it all?

Bornknick73
02-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I was watching the Hawks play last night and Ive always wondered why they havent had more succcess? They are clearly a playoff team and a very good one but whats stopping them.

They seem to have everything you need to win. Length, defense, rebounding, low post scoring, decent shooters, good ball movement, athleticism, good bench. They dont look much different then the Pistons when they won the championship. They seem to be a complete team in the same breath as the Pistons were. They have a borderline ALLSTAR in JJ. They have a Sheed type down low in Horford. They have a decent shooting PG in BIbby. And they have a way better version of Tayshaun in Josh Smith. And the highest scoring 6th man in Crawford.

While they dont have the 2 star formula, which I do believe in, they have a well rounded team with enough talent to make some noise.

What do the Hawks need to get over the hump? I think another Star would help. Do they need a CP3 or a Steve Nash to take the next step?

Im not a Hawk fan so I wont go into their forum. But what do non Hawk fans think?

Crackadalic
02-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Thats exactly it. They have above average starters but they need to true go to 2nd option player next to JJ

twoearl
02-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Great question. But I think the problem is Joe Johnson but it's not him it's thier GM belief that he is a Number 1 option, which he is not. Joe Johnson is more in the mold of a ray allen, mike redd, reggie miller, danny granger, eddie jones type dude that is best playing next to a bonafide superstar. Joe's game is not good enough to propel his team to a elite level. Put lebron, kobe or wade or melo on this team and they'd be a top 2 team in the east easily...

tangent12
02-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Discipline.

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-17-2011, 12:31 PM
A point guard and a center.
Bibby is washed up which forces Johnson to over dribble
And a center to put every1 in their natural positions IMO

Raph12
02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
The same things Miami needs... A PG and a center.

Minimal
02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
A pure point guard

Avenged
02-17-2011, 12:35 PM
They are like the Utah Jazz of the East..

Good but never good enough.

omdigga
02-17-2011, 12:37 PM
they grow thru spurts of selfishness, where the ball movement just stops... when they play team ball they are tough to beat..
they just run to much iso.. it kills their whole flow..

beasted86
02-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Consistent, good play out of Marvin Williams, and a PG.

Klivlend
02-17-2011, 12:38 PM
PG and C. Nash and Kaman?

Bornknick73
02-17-2011, 12:44 PM
So a elite PG seems to be the consensus opinion? Do you think Nash could propel them if he could be pried loose from PHX? Could a Nash lead Hawks team compete with a BOS,ORL, MIA in the East?

The BodyGuard
02-17-2011, 12:47 PM
A point guard and a center.
Bibby is washed up which forces Johnson to over dribble
And a center to put every1 in their natural positions IMO

Enough said

SB75
02-17-2011, 12:51 PM
As a Hawks fan our biggest need is a point guard that can knock down the 3, penetrate and stop penetration. Bibby runs the offense fine and can knock down the 3, but he can't keep the other teams guard in front of him. Teauge plays good defense and can penetrate, but seems unsure of his self and is not a strong shooter. When we play Crawford at the point, we add a great scorer who can hit the 3 and penetrate, but he doesn't keep other pg's in front of him either and it becomes iso with him and Joe. Our biggest need is a pg that can defend, knock down the 3, stop penetration, and penetrate himself. Doesn't have to be a pure pg, because we don't run that kind of offense. Just someone with those quality's listed above.

blahblahyoutoo
02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
JJ is not even a #1 option IMO.

Bornknick73
02-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Its a shame because the Hawks are a solid team top to bottom.

They should try a swing for CP3 or Nash. Almost reminds me of the Ewing Knicks. Always 1 player away and could never bring that player in when they needed it most.

Aw man imagine if Reggie would have taken that money. Reggie and Ewing would have ended our title drought years ago...../cry

JordansBulls
02-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I was watching the Hawks play last night and Ive always wondered why they havent had more succcess? They are clearly a playoff team and a very good one but whats stopping them.

They seem to have everything you need to win. Length, defense, rebounding, low post scoring, decent shooters, good ball movement, athleticism, good bench. They dont look much different then the Pistons when they won the championship. They seem to be a complete team in the same breath as the Pistons were. They have a borderline ALLSTAR in JJ. They have a Sheed type down low in Horford. They have a decent shooting PG in BIbby. And they have a way better version of Tayshaun in Josh Smith. And the highest scoring 6th man in Crawford.

While they dont have the 2 star formula, which I do believe in, they have a well rounded team with enough talent to make some noise.

What do the Hawks need to get over the hump? I think another Star would help. Do they need a CP3 or a Steve Nash to take the next step?

Im not a Hawk fan so I wont go into their forum. But what do non Hawk fans think?

A #1 star on their team. Simply put replace a Marvin Williams with someone like Wade, Durant, Lebron, Melo and they are legit contenders. Or you could replace Horford with Dwight and they are contenders and maybe even replace Bibby with guys like CP3, Deron or Rose.

Raoul Duke_91
02-17-2011, 01:19 PM

better players would help. also not having old *** Joe Johnson on like the worst deal ever would probably also help

ugafan
02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
A decent shooting PG who can play decent defense(Mo Williams/Jameer Nelson type).
And a true center down low. Josh Smith's shooting and ball-handling have improved enough to put him at the 3 IMO.
PG: Shooting PG
SG: JJ
SF: Josh Smith
PF: Al Horford
C: Defensive and rebounding center

with Jamal Crawford and Marvin Williams off the bench(barring their inclusion in a trade to fill our holes)

Hellcrooner
02-17-2011, 01:26 PM
a miracle.
Given the jj contract alongisde smiths and the horford extension has their cap killed they need to make a HUGHE steal in the draft in the TOny parker, GIlbert Arenas, Nick Van exel,Manu ginibili or Michael Redd fashion.

LeonFSU
02-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Nash. Don't know if they'd be legitimate contenders, but they'd be exciting.