PDA

View Full Version : Panic mode for the Lakers?

davids22
02-17-2011, 02:08 AM
3 straight losses, with 2 against the Bobcats and Cavs. Is it time to start panicking about the playoffs? Lakers might finish with as low as the 4th seed if things keep going wrong. Do you see them as the favorites in the West still? (taking how a team plays in the playoffs, which we all know the Lakers are capable of)

Hustlenomics
02-17-2011, 02:08 AM
their reign was fun while it lasted ..

abe_froman
02-17-2011, 02:12 AM
panicking about the playoffs? no,but they should be upset

and yeah they're still the favs

beasted86
02-17-2011, 02:13 AM
Only thing they have to worry about is Lakers will have to get past the Spurs without HCA.... as at this point everyone agrees there's no chance they get the #1 seed in the West.

Spurs are basically unbeaten at home with only 2 losses the entire season against the Hornets & Mavs.

LTBaByyy
02-17-2011, 02:19 AM
Spurs and Mavs are too strong for them to surpass this season

They need another Gasol type trade lol Idk how they got away with that one

MJ-BULLS
02-17-2011, 02:21 AM
I don't think there's no reason to panic. They are the defending champions. They got beat by a bad team. These kinds of things happen even to the best in the NBA.

29$JerZ
02-17-2011, 02:22 AM
Well Charlotte has always been a thorn to the Lakers even when they were dominating other teams. No surprise they lost to them twice, they just know how to beat them.

the Cavs loss however is a sign to start worrying. They should be putting teams like them away,

Avenged
02-17-2011, 02:23 AM
It's not like the Cavs or Bobcats are better than the Lakers, so panicking for losing to them is silly. They're just lacking effort, passion, and desire collectively as a team. The fans may panic but the players won't.

Jenceman
02-17-2011, 02:25 AM

LolMavs

abe_froman
02-17-2011, 02:26 AM
the Cavs loss however is a sign to start worrying. They should be putting teams like them away,

not always,bad teams do/can beat elite ones on some nights,hell one of the 10 losses to that 72 win bulls team was to the expansion raptors

Evolution23
02-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Panic? no
Make some trades and adjust? yes

GoatMilk
02-17-2011, 02:35 AM

lol lets take a few steps back and chill
spurs look strong, but they arent miles ahead of the lakers. no talking records, talking a potential series

and the mavs. lol
they're good, but to say they are too strong for the lakers to surpass is pretty ridiculous

Lim
02-17-2011, 02:38 AM
surprised it took this long after the cavs loss for this thread to pop up lol

Gambeezy
02-17-2011, 02:39 AM
I'd say it's time to do some soul-searching since they have arguably the most difficult schedule after the All-star break. They're too talented to panic.

Los Angeles Lakers (Games after break: 25)
The two-time defending champion Lakers are in for a brutal stretch of opponents after the break. The Lakers face 17 teams with winning records, tied for the most in the league, and 18 playoff teams, which is three more than the average team faces. They only square off against eight teams with losing records, and just to pile it on face eight playoff teams on the road.

There are some bright spots for the Lakers after the break though. They only have three back-to-backs and they own the league's longest homestand at seven games. That being said, no matter how good the Lakers are, facing 17 teams with winning records is going to be a challenge.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18730#ixzz1ECBKQvE2

shep33
02-17-2011, 02:39 AM

how are the Mavs too good for them to beat?

The Mavs should be in a panic... its almost playoff time, I mean time for them to go fishing

Bulls_fan90
02-17-2011, 02:43 AM
They'll just trade for Kwame Brown, then trade him for Melo.

LA_Raiders
02-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Yeah, for the past 3 yrs there is always a panic time mode.... And guess what?

We made it to the Finals every time...

chicago lulz
02-17-2011, 03:24 AM
The only time they really need to panic is when they're out of the playoff picture.
What's that you say? 3rd in the West? Yeah, they've got nothing to worry about at the moment.

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-17-2011, 03:30 AM
how are the Mavs too good for them to beat?

The Mavs should be in a panic... its almost playoff time, I mean time for them to go fishing

Maybe he meant as far as the regular season goes.

The Mavs could be a tough matchup for LA if the Mavs have Home Court Advantage.

But LA is still favored to win.

kikeyanez
02-17-2011, 03:42 AM
i think the problem is artist cut the guy

jimbobjarree
02-17-2011, 03:49 AM
just a slump

Gators123
02-17-2011, 03:50 AM
They need to get rid of Artest.

icej
02-17-2011, 03:50 AM
It's not like the Cavs or Bobcats are better than the Lakers, so panicking for losing to them is silly. They're just lacking effort, passion, and desire collectively as a team. The fans may panic but the players won't.

Players might not, but the FO might. Its different when you are just expecting things to happen while being at the bench than when you are actually playing and have the feel of the your potentials.

Panic? no
Make some trades and adjust? yes

This LA line up won 2 time champs back2back, IF they suddenly decide to adjust or trade then YES they are indeed panicking.

Sorry, those 3 years you are referring to, do NOT even deserve to be mention with the same sentence with THIS LAL struggle we are now seeing. They may be the same people, but they're not the same PLAYers.

By the looks on Phil Jackson's face after the Cavs game, he wanted something drastic to happen. IDK if the FO feels the same, but I would agree that they need a move now to at least fuel more hope and confidence among the fanbase.

Considering they will now enter the most grueling games against the top teams in their schedule post ASG and just right before Playoffs.

mcgswfan
02-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Lakers aren't going to panic, and nor should they, they are still the defending champs and the real test starts when the playoffs start. If they get off to a terrible beginning and lose their first two home games in the first playoff series then they can think about panicking. The regular season means nothing to these guys because they know they can win even if they fell to the 8th seed. I'm saying this and I can't stand the Lakers. Until they get down to 30 seconds to go before elimination and the end of their season, they won't panic.

shep33
02-17-2011, 03:52 AM
Maybe he meant as far as the regular season goes.

The Mavs could be a tough matchup for LA if the Mavs have Home Court Advantage.

But LA is still favored to win.

I agree Mavs are a good team, however, I can't put them ahead of LA yet, just cause they have proven themselves in the playoffs once in the past decade. I want to see them go to the Finals and put up a fight there, then I think all of us here on PSD would give them the respect they deserve. But it just irks me that a lot of their fans talk down to other fans after a loss, yet they somehow distinguish themselves as a team that shouldn't be criticized.

Adzman
02-17-2011, 04:00 AM
Lakers will be fine.

I can see the Lakers making a deadline deal though. Artest could be the player that makes way to improve chemistry via trade.

XerxestheGreat
02-17-2011, 04:08 AM
Lakers will be fine.

I can see the Lakers making a deadline deal though. Artest could be the player that makes way to improve chemistry via trade.

good god...i'm agreeing with a Celtic fan. Was it this bad in your forum last year? haha

you have sense bro, thanks! and i agree with you again about Artest.

JayW_1023
02-17-2011, 04:18 AM
They will be there when it counts. I don't care if they lose to the worst team in the NBDL.

tdunk21
02-17-2011, 04:30 AM
meh.....they will get their **** together come playoffs.....

but losing to my cavs was so fun.....

shep33
02-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Lakers will be fine.

Yeah, Artest and Blake have really struggled for us this year. We need help on the perimeter... it's amazing because over the past two years, if people have watched Laker games, Kobe would probably average 6-7 assits per game if he had a consistent shooter. I cannont recall how many times he kicks it out to Ron on that short corner three with nobody withing 10 feet of him, and nobody even contesting, barely grazing the rim.

I love Ron's D... but realistically Fisher (although he played well tonight) and Ron have been shooting in the 30-40% range which is terrible for us. And I mean they're wide open looks. So teams now are just gonna continue doubling kobe, and pack the paint cause they know our guys can't hit an outside shot.

I think Artest stays, but Blake might move

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-17-2011, 05:01 AM
not panic, but its getting bad, really bad.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-17-2011, 05:02 AM
just a slump

the whole season has been a slump:sigh:

Gambeezy
02-17-2011, 05:06 AM
Yeah, Artest and Blake have really struggled for us this year. We need help on the perimeter... it's amazing because over the past two years, if people have watched Laker games, Kobe would probably average 6-7 assits per game if he had a consistent shooter. I cannont recall how many times he kicks it out to Ron on that short corner three with nobody withing 10 feet of him, and nobody even contesting, barely grazing the rim.

I love Ron's D... but realistically Fisher (although he played well tonight) and Ron have been shooting in the 30-40% range which is terrible for us. And I mean they're wide open looks. So teams now are just gonna continue doubling kobe, and pack the paint cause they know our guys can't hit an outside shot.

I think Artest stays, but Blake might move

I hate to say this...but you guys need Vujacic. You need that little idiots range.

ChiSox219
02-17-2011, 05:09 AM
What the heck happened? From the box score, Gasol beasted, why didn't Kobe just keep giving him the ball?

Bruno
02-17-2011, 05:12 AM
Did the Knicks panic in 1973 when they lost to the soon to be 9-73 Philadelphia 76ers in the regular season on the way to the title?

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588369

ChiSox219
02-17-2011, 05:17 AM
Did the Knicks panic in 1973 when they lost to the soon to be 9-73 Philadelphia 76ers in the regular season on the way to the title?

In 95-96 the 72 win Bulls lost to the expansion Raptors, to the Knicks by 20+ points, and the Heat by 30+ points.

They probably should have panicked and made a trade or something :rolleyes:

kblo247
02-17-2011, 05:18 AM
What the heck happened? From the box score, Gasol beasted, why didn't Kobe just keep giving him the ball?

Pau got the ball almost 10 times in the 4th quarter bu pulled that bull **** throw it back out routine. I really didn't understand since he had it going and was aggressive but stopped attacking in the 4th quarter. He was on a tear and could have got 40, but then he made himself be passive and started giving Kobe, Lamar, and Fish the ball back with the clock running down in the fourth quarter.

I don't know if he wore down, didn't want to be the hero, or if Phil simply cooled him off by sitting him to start the 4th quarter when he was hot to try and get Bynum going.

ChiSox219
02-17-2011, 05:19 AM
Pau got the ball almost 10 times in the 4th quarter bu pulled that bull **** throw it back out routine. I really didn't understand since he had it going and was aggressive but stopped attacking in the 4th quarter. He was on a tear and could have got 40, but then he made himself be passive and started giving Kobe, Lamar, and Fish the ball back with the clock running down in the fourth quarter.

I don't know if he wore down, didn't want to be the hero, or if Phil simply cooled him off by sitting him to start the 4th quarter when he was hot to try and get Bynum going.

Were the Cavs doubling him?

tdunk21
02-17-2011, 05:21 AM
Were the Cavs doubling him?

nope they did not....shoulda given it to gasol coz he was almost scoring at will in the paint....and i have no idea why artest got just 1 shot.....

off topic: and why do u support keith bogans? he was horrible fit for the spurs....

Gators123
02-17-2011, 05:24 AM
nope they did not....shoulda given it to gasol coz he was almost scoring at will in the paint....and i have no idea why artest got just 1 shot.....

off topic: and why do u support keith bogans? he was horrible fit for the spurs....

Because hes not very good...

Bruno
02-17-2011, 05:24 AM
In 95-96 the 72 win Bulls lost to the expansion Raptors, to the Knicks by 20+ points, and the Heat by 30+ points.

Nice stat. :cheers:

shep33
02-17-2011, 05:29 AM
I do think a minor deal will happen, like at the level of a Steve Blake, but that's still a big maybe. Blake is a good player, but the triangle is a pg stat killer in reality.

cchrisc773
02-17-2011, 05:30 AM
Here is the problem.

Lakers don't have any value to move to get something back without losing depth somewhere else that they need.

The most valuable player the can deal is Bynum- However, how can you beat teams like Boston or Orlando then if they come out of the East minus Bynum?

No one will touch Artest- Even though it's not a bad contract he is a problem.

Odom- May be the most consistent player on the team more then Kobe.

Gasol- Is showing signs of Decline

Fisher- IS very overrated and below average PG

Shannon Brown- The Lakers overvalued and over paid a guy that is no better then a 7th 8th option of the bench. No one is going to take Brown to give you better talent.

Seriously. What options do the Lakers have. Trade Bynum and Artest and a round 1 to the Nuggets for Melo. You guys will be much worse.

shep33
02-17-2011, 05:30 AM

haha I actually remember that game, and those hideous Raptor jerseys.

cchrisc773
02-17-2011, 05:31 AM
I do think a minor deal will happen, like at the level of a Steve Blake, but that's still a big maybe. Blake is a good player, but the triangle is a pg stat killer in reality.

Blake is better then Fisher. How about you bench Fisher and Artest for starters?

PG. Blake
SG. Kobe
SF. Odom
PF. Gasol
C. Bynum

That could be a start. Then how about in Time outs when Kobe starts shooting you out of games you bench him? They need to get the ball down-low to Gasol and Bynum much more IMO then they do.

DitchDat
02-17-2011, 05:34 AM
Sometimes good teams just lose games they are supposed to win. It happens. They will still be good to go for the playoffs, although I feel like something has been missing for the Lakers lately.

tdunk21
02-17-2011, 05:34 AM
Here is the problem.

Lakers don't have any value to move to get something back without losing depth somewhere else that they need.

The most valuable player the can deal is Bynum- However, how can you beat teams like Boston or Orlando then if they come out of the East minus Bynum?

Shannon Brown- The Lakers overvalued and over paid a guy that is no better then a 7th 8th option of the bench. No one is going to take Brown to give you better talent.

Seriously. What options do the Lakers have. Trade Bynum and Artest and a round 1 to the Nuggets for Melo. You guys will be much worse.

they have the 5mil trade exception....thats a lot....am sure they will pull a gasol type trade again.....

shep33
02-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Here is the problem.

Meh i think Blake, Brown, and Artest all have value. Gotta remember that 2 years ago with Houston Artest scored what 17-18 ppg or something like that... it's not his talent, it's just offensively he doesn't fit within what we're trying to do, and he's not hitting wide open 3's. He's our pretty much our last option on offense, just cause he still struggles in what to do with the ball on offense. His defense is almost invaluable though.... I mean one of the biggest reasons we beat the Thunder last year, was Artest's defense on Durant, and then again in the Finals where he played Pierce really really well.

Brown can't be traded unless he agrees to, cause he's a "1-year Bird"... need consent from him to trade him, so that's unlikely

Blake has value too, I mean the guy was on the Clippers last year and started for the Blazers who were a playoff team. Other guys with value include Ebanks and Caracter, raw yes, but steals in the 2nd round that have the potential to be good players, especially Ebanks.

Ebanks seems like the 2nd coming of Ariza, but we'll see.

Another thing is that when Barnes gets healthy, we're talking about a starter on an ECF team last year... he'll help us out plenty too.

cchrisc773
02-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Nice stat. :cheers:

Not at all...

That Bulls team had guys that knew there role. They also had a better PG. Ron Harper. The best player ever in MJ. One of the top 20 SF ever maybe in Scottie Pippen... Dennis Rodman is a much better defender that played PF then anyone on the Lakers curretly.

They also has one of the best 6th man option ever in Toni Kukoc. Latstly that Bulls team was much deeper IMO.....

If you compared them starting 5 to Lakers now this is what you would see.

PG. Ron Harper over Derek Harper
SG. Jordan over KOBE
SF. Pippen over Artest
PF. Rodman over Gasol.
C. Bynum over Longley

So to compare the Lakers to the best team ever is stupid, especially since they are not even the best team in the league currently.

BTW- They also lost by 1 to the Raptors with 2 starters not playing. Rodman and Longley.

Lakers lost to Cavs with full starting 5.... I mean if you want to try to compare the two you honestly can not.

ChiSox219
02-17-2011, 05:42 AM

After Jay Cutler's performance in the NFC Championship a bunch of Bears fans took up "I support Jay Cutler" sigs

Bulls fans have been dogging Bogans because he had a slow start to the season.

He's a great fit for the Bulls

cchrisc773
02-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Sometimes good teams just lose games they are supposed to win. It happens. They will still be good to go for the playoffs, although I feel like something has been missing for the Lakers lately.

Yes sometimes. However, they don't get blown-out and then follow that blow-out to lose to the worse team possible ever... You know the Cavs team that just set a record losing consecutive games and losers of 39 of last 41 games. No way you want to spin it you can not.. That was a pathetic and embarrassing lost for the Lakers...

cchrisc773
02-17-2011, 05:47 AM
After Jay Cutler's performance in the NFC Championship a bunch of Bears fans took up "I support Jay Cutler" sigs

Bulls fans have been dogging Bogans because he had a slow start to the season.

He's a great fit for the Bulls

He was horrible in Orlando also...

ChiSox219
02-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Not at all...

That Bulls team had guys that knew there role. They also had a better PG. Ron Harper. The best player ever in MJ. One of the top 20 SF ever maybe in Scottie Pippen... Dennis Rodman is a much better defender that played PF then anyone on the Lakers curretly.

They also has one of the best 6th man option ever in Toni Kukoc. Latstly that Bulls team was much deeper IMO.....

SG. Jordan over KOBE
SF. Pippen over Artest
PF. Rodman over Gasol.
C. Bynum over Longley

So to compare the Lakers to the best team ever is stupid, especially since they are not even the best team in the league currently.

BTW- They also lost by 1 to the Raptors with 2 starters not playing. Rodman and Longley.

Lakers lost to Cavs with full starting 5.... I mean if you want to try to compare the two you honestly can not.

You're missing the point.

cchrisc773
02-17-2011, 05:51 AM
Meh i think Blake, Brown, and Artest all have value. Gotta remember that 2 years ago with Houston Artest scored what 17-18 ppg or something like that... it's not his talent, it's just offensively he doesn't fit within what we're trying to do, and he's not hitting wide open 3's. He's our pretty much our last option on offense, just cause he still struggles in what to do with the ball on offense. His defense is almost invaluable though.... I mean one of the biggest reasons we beat the Thunder last year, was Artest's defense on Durant, and then again in the Finals where he played Pierce really really well.

Brown can't be traded unless he agrees to, cause he's a "1-year Bird"... need consent from him to trade him, so that's unlikely

Blake has value too, I mean the guy was on the Clippers last year and started for the Blazers who were a playoff team. Other guys with value include Ebanks and Caracter, raw yes, but steals in the 2nd round that have the potential to be good players, especially Ebanks.

Ebanks seems like the 2nd coming of Ariza, but we'll see.

Another thing is that when Barnes gets healthy, we're talking about a starter on an ECF team last year... he'll help us out plenty too.

Yup you said it 2 years ago. What, guys don't ever start to decline? Plus the chemistry issues he causes alone raises red flags. He is still a longer contract which is not very attractive.

Barnes LMAO. I am a Magic fan and let me tell you about how the league values Barnes. 7 teams in 8 years. He is terrible on offense and his defense is very overrated. He played a small part in getting the Magic into the ECF. Orlando shot the lights out over the Bobcats and Hawks. He was more the reason Orlando did not get to the finals.. He got torched by PP all series.. Plus Carter and Lewis decided to never show up all series.

Lastly, it Barnes has so much value, why did Orlando never offer the guy a new contract and how comes on the Toronto Raptors where willing to offer him anything over 3 years? That contract was voided after the Raptors realized they did not have money to give him. Barnes overplayed his hand, he opt out of a contract with the Magic that would have paid him 2 million in hopes to get a bigger contract. He then ended up with much less money and a reduced role.

Take the Blinders off. You will have to offer more then these 3 to get anything back of value.

cchrisc773
02-17-2011, 05:56 AM
You're missing the point.

No I am not. You are trying to compare the fact the 72 win bulls lost by 1 point to the Raptors with two starters down to what happen to LA tonight. Zero staters down by the WAY.....

1. The Lakers are not the 72 Bulls.

2. 72 Bulls never lost 3 in a row.

3. 72 Bulls never got blown out by a bad team and followed that up by losing to maybe the worse team ever...

Lakers have issues and you need to realize that.....

LASTLY, 72 WIN BULLS HAD A MUCH BETTER STARTING 5.

You being a Chi guy should not be trying to bail out these Lakers... They are not nearly as good as they think they are....

Lakers problems.

1. Artest he is half the guy he was last season and is killing the team chemistry.

2. They have age a year

3. They paid Shannon Brown who is not worth his contract.

4. They are 1 Bynum injury away from being bounced in round 1.

5. They don't have much trade value they can deal without adding holes in there team.

6. Phil Jackson already seems like he is ready to quit.

7. Kobe has zero trust in his teammates and shoots then out of more games then he helps them.

Iron24th
02-17-2011, 06:07 AM

Yeah I trust the spurs,cause they know how to win,but what the hell have done the mavs to scare the Lakers???

Oh yeah 1st and 2nd rounds exit,stop being an homer,dallas has to show they can win in playoffs before anyone take them seriously.

Bruno
02-17-2011, 06:11 AM
Not at all...

SG. Jordan over KOBE
SF. Pippen over Artest
PF. Rodman over Gasol.
C. Bynum over Longley

At what point does appreciating and noticing an interesting stat equate to me comparing the '11 Lakers and the '96 Bulls? A cool stat is a cool stat, that's all. Whether or not that stat becomes a baffling trend or dwindles off and gets dismissed as mere coincidence will be decided come playoffs.

Squad13
02-17-2011, 09:42 AM

:laugh: wait for the mavs to get out of the first round first. Laker are playing poorly, sure. But panic time? No, panic time is if we're down 2 games in the playoffs. Respect the champs

Mave1002
02-17-2011, 09:53 AM

Right on. Let's keep the faith people.

bostncelts34
02-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Boston lost against Cavs and CHA as well. Its not panic mode. Teams like Boston/LA are built for the playoffs. Come playoff time, i would not want to face the lakers if i were a team in the west. ( God i hate saying decent things about the team i hate)

kobebabe
02-17-2011, 10:13 AM
This will make it that much sweeter to bring home our 3rd straight!

LOL to the mav fan who think mavs r too strong for lakers. They always are every year but it never translate in playoffs. Prove u can win first then post about mavs been strong:rolleyes:

MagicHero3
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
the ex champs lose to the worst team in the league this season...
yes, its time to panic a little bit
but i dont think it comes down to trades or nething
it comes down to pure effort.
they need to show some life

justinnum1
02-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I just don;t see the lakers winning a 7 games series vs the spurs or mavs

TO to the CHI
02-17-2011, 10:21 AM

No need to panic at all. They are only lacking effort, passion, and desire as a team. Who needs those things?

Avenged
02-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Players might not, but the FO might. Its different when you are just expecting things to happen while being at the bench than when you are actually playing and have the feel of the your potentials.

I hope so.. might force the FO's hand to make a move they really need.

todu82
I don't see the Lakers repeating this year either but come on they have to beat the Cavs.

todu82
I don't see the Lakers repeating this year either but come on they have to beat the Cavs.

Avenged
02-17-2011, 10:37 AM
No need to panic at all. They are only lacking effort, passion, and desire as a team. Who needs those things?

Not the point...

Point is they have the talent, just not the effort.. Which is actually much better than having the effort but not the talent because the effort can be adjusted, but the talent cannot.

Testaverde16
02-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Not really necessary to compare them to the best team ever... no one is going to look good next to the 98 bulls... However, we did this last year too... anyone remember how that ended?

Worry about your own teams... we have rings for days...

Tarheels23
02-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Have people seriously forgotten what the Celtics did last year? They didnt care at all during the regular season. They looked sluggish and bored just as the Lakers do now. The Celtics had TERRIBLE losses at home and on the road including losses against the Clippers, Nets, Pistons, Knicks and Wizards. Half of the analysts and experts picked the Heat to beat them in the first round, then EVERY analyst picked the Cavs to beat them in the second round, then half the analysts picked the Magic to win the ECF...... They ended up taking the Lakers to game 7 in the finals.

Dont sleep on the Lakers this year, like everyone did to the Celtics last year

_Supreme_
02-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Based on what I've seen in the past in the Laker forum the sky must be falling right now for sure :smoking:

Trace
02-17-2011, 11:32 AM
meh just an example of fan hysteria.

and signs of the franchise "panicking" is just a result of Phil coaching through the meida.

KingsPhillies
02-17-2011, 11:35 AM
They'll just trade for Kwame Brown, then trade him for Melo.

:laugh:

All joking aside, they will probably make some crazy, head-scratching deal that will erase all doubt that they're still the favorites(like Artest/Blake for Melo/Billups ;)). But it's really hard to say if they should be in panic mode. As much as I'd love to say they're in trouble, they're still the defending champs. Their lackluster play is what's causing these losses, for the most part. If they continue to play like this throughout the rest of the season and into the playoffs, then yes, they're definitely in trouble. The Spurs and Mavs are poised to give the Lakers a run for their money this season, and I don't see either of those teams slowing down in the playoffs.

Now, the Lakers are 8-8 over the last month. They had some decent wins over that stretch, but their losses are much more glaring. They've lost to some of the league's best(Dallas, Boston, San Antonio and Orlando), but also to some of the league's worst(L.A. Clips, Sacramento, Cleveland and Charlotte). That just tells me they're definitely not in Championship mode right now. Will they get into gear before the playoffs? Probably. Phil will make sure they hit the ground running after the All Star break. But as it stands right now, they need to do something. If they keep playing at this level, they're not going to make it past the second round.

FakeBlackMamba
02-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I just don;t see the lakers winning a 7 games series vs the spurs or mavs

I dont see any team in the NBA beating the Lakers when they play to their talent level in a 7 game series. And seeing as LA has won the past two championships with this same squad, come playoff time, Id take KB24 + Pau + Odom over any team in the West.

Raph12
02-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Dejavu from last season...

m26555
02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Isn't this exactly what we were hearing about Boston last season? For the one-millionth time, the Lakers will be fine.

Mplsman
02-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Embarrassing loss to the cavs before the break is definitely not something they wanted.

RaiderLakersA's
02-17-2011, 12:01 PM
The Lakers mirror my thoughts, which is let's get this long season over with and fast. I know, everyone says that you can't turn it off and on as easily as snapping your fingers, but with or without HCA the Lakers will have to be reckoned with. 3 straight years to the Finals should prove that by now.

joeshmoe
02-17-2011, 12:09 PM
The Lakers would be dangerous as an 8th seed in the playoffs. They're a playoff team and don't seem interested in the regular season. I wouldn't panic until I were eliminated from the playoffs...then panic and consider moves. Otherwise I think this team has enough to get it done, no questions asked.

Suns4ever67
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Somebody is going to get traded. And the Lakers need to get younger. Fisher is getting really long in the tooth and Bynum has the knees of a 37 year old jouneyman. I suspect Luke Walton and maybe another will be gone by next week.

Mishmin
02-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Isn't this exactly what we were hearing about Boston last season? For the one-millionth time, the Lakers will be fine.

Exactly. Boston did the same thing last year and was 10 minutes from winning it all. Lakers will not trade and will go deep in the playoffs. I'm just praying for a Thunder/Lakers rematch series. That would be verrry interesting..

shep33
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I think this loss is actually really good for the Lakers. They seem mad now from what I've been reading from their post-game quotes over the past two games.

I think getting this team mad is actually what they need. They're lazy, arrogant, but we know that they can get it done when it matters. We said the same thing about them last year, they lost 7 of their last 11 going into the playoffs...

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a minor trade, but I still have confidence in this team. Matt Barnes is coming back after the all-star break, and that should be good

iggypop123
02-17-2011, 01:54 PM
i wont analyze the psychological problems of the lakers. its no secret they are cocky and are known to just give up on nights when they see a scrub team cause its the regular season. the basketball problem is as it has been for the last 2 years is they cant shoot. to be fair they won 2 titles but that was with ariza getting hot from 3 and last year artest shot the 3 well in clutch situations. this year, nobody can shoot. they were 4-0 on the road trip cause they shot 40% form 3. the last 3 games its somewhere below around 15%. unless they can find a reliable shooter they might be in trouble

shep33
02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
i wont analyze the psychological problems of the lakers. its no secret they are cocky and are known to just give up on nights when they see a scrub team cause its the regular season. the basketball problem is as it has been for the last 2 years is they cant shoot. to be fair they won 2 titles but that was with ariza getting hot from 3 and last year artest shot the 3 well in clutch situations. this year, nobody can shoot. they were 4-0 on the road trip cause they shot 40% form 3. the last 3 games its somewhere below around 15%. unless they can find a reliable shooter they might be in trouble

I agree, I mean teams are just packing the paint against us and are not afraid to leave our guys open. We have no shooters on this team which is scary, I mean teams aren't within 10 feet of Artest on a majority of his threes.
Fisher has struggled heavily over the past few months, even though he shot well yesterday

E.O.21
02-17-2011, 04:21 PM

Not really this time is WORSE

E.O.21
02-17-2011, 04:23 PM
The Lakers are done. Its hard to repeat, near damn impossible to 3peat

Jewelz0376
02-17-2011, 06:05 PM
The Lakers are done. Its hard to repeat, near damn impossible to 3peat

Yea its so "damn near impossible" that Phil Jackson had done it 3 times...its def not dam near impossible for him..

xxcubs22xx
02-17-2011, 06:16 PM
why is it that anytime something remotely bad happens, its all of a sudden time to discuss "panic mode"

In no way is it time for them to panic. Let them panic when they are out of the playoff picture.

Its time for the Lakers to get their act back together, not panic.

Anilyzer
02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
why is it that anytime something remotely bad happens, its all of a sudden time to discuss "panic mode"

In no way is it time for them to panic. Let them panic when they are out of the playoff picture.

Its time for the Lakers to get their act back together, not panic.

panic mode is bad, mmm'kay

Bruno
02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Based on what I've seen in the past in the Laker forum the sky must be falling right now for sure :smoking:

It is, but that's expected. I've tried to post a couple of threads, attempting to put this 2011 season into perspective, and yesterdays loss against the Cavs into perspective, but a lot of posters aren't having it. Vent/panic threads run-a-muck.

johnnychan
02-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Panic mode for the Lakers is when we're on the brink of elimination during the playoffs. Not right now with still half of the regular season left. I don't think any team wants to be playing this bad going into the break, but this is the team that can overcome that. Lets not forget the Celtics were .500 last season heading into the All-Star break.

cchrisc773
02-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Panic mode for the Lakers is when we're on the brink of elimination during the playoffs. Not right now with still half of the regular season left. I don't think any team wants to be playing this bad going into the break, but this is the team that can overcome that. Lets not forget the Celtics were .500 last season heading into the All-Star break.

They also had major injuries. You honestly can not compare the two...

cchrisc773
02-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Boston lost against Cavs and CHA as well. Its not panic mode. Teams like Boston/LA are built for the playoffs. Come playoff time, i would not want to face the lakers if i were a team in the west. ( God i hate saying decent things about the team i hate)

Yeah but Boston lost to the Cavs early on in the season when they where at 100%. Not having Varjeo alone hurts the Cavs. As much as I hate the guy he plays aggressive and honestly currently could be there best overall player...

johnnychan
02-17-2011, 07:09 PM
True that but with the way some of the guys on the Lakers are playing they might as well be injured haha.

macc
02-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Until somone dethrowns the Lakers, they are still the team to beat, esp since they haven't lost a guy by the name of Kobe Bryant on there team. Gasol is still there to. People hated on Boston all year and all of a sudden they made it to the finals. The regular season doesn't mean much. I'm sure the Lakers will be just fine once June arrives.

Bruno
02-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Until somone dethrowns the Lakers, they are still the team to beat, esp since they haven't lost a guy by the name of Kobe Bryant on there team. Gasol is still there to. People hated on Boston all year and all of a sudden they made it to the finals. The regular season doesn't mean much. I'm sure the Lakers will be just fine once June arrives.

Agreed. Not to mention that these '11 Lakers are on pace in more ways than one:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588557
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584152

Obviously there are no guarantees, anything can happen come playoffs; it will be extremely competitive. But to pretend like these struggles are unprecedented is just ignorant.

AIRMAR72
02-17-2011, 08:30 PM
its 2011 not 2009 or 2010 i would be worried if am a fan and im sure they (laker organization are concern) there is NO reason or EXCUSE for those lost games to subpar teams they need to be playing like champions how many time will they(laker fans)cry wolf(huh wait till june blah! blah!!)DA mavs and spurs,okc, blazers,jazz arent the same teams in past yrs their younger players have improve ALOT da lakers cant just turn it OFF and turn it ON these days they older and thers no real unity or real leadership between da players boston have team chemistry something that kobe dosent have with his mates those are the main factor along with coach rivers why boston can turn it ON and turn it OFF they all like and care for each others and it shows when you a see A boston game its not the same kind of luv are bond in LA futhermore kobe looks like hes just about finish he appear a step and 1/2 slower this yr and very tired looking in 4QTR in recent games kobe passing da rock with only 2-3 seconds LEFT to open teammates thats not gonna get it done (how can you make a shot or get in da flow and you rushing your shot to beat the clock) for the benifit of the organization i trade kobe and fish for melo,ty lawson and nenee that should cure laker problem i keep MAD ron his points total will go up with no kobe being on the team check ron resume he can score even tho he has a oldman style game every team wish they have a dirty tuff player like him defensive minded rebounding guys always a plus on your squad i keep pau cause he can post and toast WITH THE BEST when he is happy getting his toucH lamar because he can get it done plus he plays his best games when kobe is not in da lineup bynum because of his size but with knee issues he too is almost finish management need to do something

Bruno
02-17-2011, 08:32 PM
its 2011 not 2009 or 2010 i would be worried if am a fan and im sure they (laker organization are concern) there is NO reason or EXCUSE for those lost games to subpar teams they need to be playing like champions how many time will they(laker fans)cry wolf(huh wait till june blah! blah!!)DA mavs and spurs,okc, blazers,jazz arent the same teams in past yrs their younger players have improve ALOT da lakers cant just turn it OFF and turn it ON these days they older and thers no real unity or real leadership between da players boston have team chemistry something that kobe dosent have with his mates those are the main factor along with coach rivers why boston can turn it ON and turn it OFF they all like and care for each others and it shows when you a see A boston game its not the same kind of luv are bond in LA futhermore kobe looks like hes just about finish he appear a step and 1/2 slower this yr and very tired looking in 4QTR in recent games kobe passing da rock with only 2-3 seconds LEFT to open teammates is not gonna get it done (how can you get in da flow and you rushing your shot to beat the clock) for the benifit of the organization i trade kobe and fish for melo,ty lawson and nenee that should cure laker problem i keep MAD ron his points total will go up with no kobe being on the team check ron resume he can score even tho he has a oldman style game every team wish they have a dirty tuff player like him defensive minded rebounding guys always a plus on your squad i keep pau cause he can post and toast WITH THE BEST when he is happy getting his toucH lamar because he can get it done plus he plays his best games when kobe is not in da lineup bynum because of his size but with knee issues he too is almost finish management need to do something

Dude, help us out and use some paragraphs.

BALLER R
02-17-2011, 08:43 PM
i think you have to wait till about 10 games after the allstar break. because it seems like they are just on cruise control and everyone knows the lakers in game 1 of the season aren't the same lakers you seen in game 1 of the playoffs

BkOriginalOne
02-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Trade for Battier.

Shkelqim
02-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Kobe needs more rest.

The Lakers will be the Lakers, Give it a rest.

They'll be contending for another title.

Madtown22
02-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Cav's are on the up and up!!

Legitimate
02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
IMO the Lakers really need to badly rip off another team in a trade again just to stay relevant. Lakers aren't gonna even make it to the conference finals let alone the nba finals, u can book it :D.

Legitimate
02-17-2011, 10:32 PM
The Lakers almost did another Gasol trade with the rumoured, Bynum for Carmelo!

dodie53
02-18-2011, 01:37 AM
The Lakers almost did another Gasol trade with the rumoured, Bynum for Carmelo!

that ain't fair

mbarajas138
02-18-2011, 01:58 AM
No. They will be alright.

Giantwarrior
02-18-2011, 01:59 AM
no. but a head scratcher .

JB0B0
02-18-2011, 02:03 AM
They need to trade for Melo. People say the Lakers won't be as good with Melo and without Bynum but they'd probably be a lot better. Gasol at the 5 and Odom at the 4 has been very effective for them. Heck, it got them to the finals a few years ago, even though they ended up losing in 6.