PDA

View Full Version : Worst NBA rule?

bulls_world23
02-14-2011, 11:10 PM
What NBA rule is the most annoying to you..

1: Hand check foul
2: 3 second call
3: Clear path foul
4: Moving screen foul
5: other

JPHX
02-14-2011, 11:12 PM
the crackdown on technicals and how players can hardly express their emotions.

justinnum1
02-14-2011, 11:13 PM
After a turnover on a fast break the refs whistle a 24 sec violation and kill the fast break...happens to the heat all the time.

marvILLous
02-14-2011, 11:15 PM
the breathe on a superstar and automatically get called for a foul rule

LTBaByyy
02-14-2011, 11:18 PM
1. Defensive 3 seconds

2. Defensive 3 seconds being tech plus the ball back

ManRam
02-14-2011, 11:22 PM
You think moving screens is a bad NBA rule?

I think the three second rules are a must. I think the game would be a lot different, and a lot worse actually, without it.

Gators123
02-14-2011, 11:26 PM
The Offensive Goaltending BS.

KmB728
02-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I agree... if the other team already has possession after the shot clock goes off don't blow the whistle just let the fast break happen!

bulls_world23
02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
you think moving screens is a bad nba rule?

I think the three second rules are a must. I think the game would be a lot different, and a lot worse actually, without it.

i mean sometimes they call it sometimes they dont.

iFYouSeekAmy
02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Without defensive 3 seconds, we would have people clogging the key. You wouldn't want Wilt camping at the key would you?

Same for offensive 3 seconds.

Moving screen? That's one of the must-rules.

Hand check fouls, I understand. That gets irritating as hell.

Korman12
02-14-2011, 11:35 PM
The only rule I'd hope they change is when the one team has a shot-clock violation and the other team clearly gained possession, but play would be stopped. Most of the other rules are either subjective from ref to ref or an absolute must.

bklynny67
02-14-2011, 11:38 PM

this is a good one.... how gay. plus, its not consistant. the star players can express how they feel without getting a T more than others.

heatking
02-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Short Bug-eyed scrubs getting into other peoples huddles and not getting penalized.

bklynny67
02-14-2011, 11:42 PM

here's the winner.

during one of the Heat-Knicks games, Wade pumped faked, got the defender to jump towards him but still was able to completely avoid any contact, and Wade threw up a brick and drew the "non" foul.... then they showed the replay and the announcers said something like, "He didn't even touch him. He was able to avoid Wade completely, the ref just assumed he was gonna make contact."

it was pretty sad... just an example, but yea, that kinda crap HAS to stop.

aussie
02-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Short Bug-eyed scrubs getting into other peoples huddles and not getting penalized.

It wasn't a timeout though

bulls_world23
02-14-2011, 11:43 PM

:laugh2::laugh:

KmB728
02-14-2011, 11:50 PM

i'm sorry The Celtics are 3-0 vs Miami lets not start name calling though, its just childish

bklynny67
02-14-2011, 11:50 PM

seriously, you're complaining about that? it wasn't a TO and he had the right to do that. maybe its not good sportsmanship or whatever, but you're pissed he didnt get penalized? what kinda penalty would it be? LOL good one....:rolleyes:

Albrecht Duerer
02-14-2011, 11:53 PM
The rule that allows men who could be collecting social security to referee NBA games.

pastrecedes
02-14-2011, 11:56 PM

it wasn't even a timeout and he got a triple double. i don't think he's considered a "scrub" by all means

Crackadalic
02-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Hand checking. Why should you be penalize for playing defense

Superstar calls is also the worse thing ive ever seen. Its like the WWE in basketball form with those types of calls

RZZZA
02-15-2011, 12:10 AM
refs are clearly crooked

Hustlenomics
02-15-2011, 12:18 AM

lmaooooo @ scrubs dropping triple doubles on your team

disgruntledbull
02-15-2011, 12:23 AM
not a rule really but i hate when players do the rip through move. trying to guard a defender then they just launch their arms up to get a call pisses me off

tom04041
02-15-2011, 12:25 AM

I think this rule is a must. If the ball is rolling on the rim and the defender is not allowed to grab it off, then the offensive player should not be allowed to touch it either. It would make put backs way too easy on certain rebounds.

VRP723
02-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Out of bounds. How much more fun would it be if they could run around the whole arena.

blahblahyoutoo
02-15-2011, 12:29 AM
no crab dribbling. such bs.

Raph12
02-15-2011, 12:34 AM
The whole "supestar" rulebook...

HallofFameKidd
02-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Five-second back to the basket violation

A player in the frontcourt, below the free throw line extended, is not permitted to dribble the ball with his back or side to the basket for more than five seconds. A count ends when:

* Player picks up his dribbling
* Player dribbles above the free throw line extended
* The defense deflects the ball

This is an NBA only rule. It is often referred to as the "Mark Jackson Rule".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-second_rule_%28basketball%29

hgtiger32
02-15-2011, 12:35 AM
The rule that allows men who could be collecting social security to referee NBA games.

:laugh: haha thats a good one

hugepatsfan
02-15-2011, 12:38 AM
All of them. Not because of the rules themselves, but because the refs suck at enforcing all of them.

sargon21
02-15-2011, 12:41 AM
all i know is that flopping should be penalized, and the charges get ridiculous at times

Jonathan2323
02-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Flagrant fouls that are really not flagrant fouls. The refs should be able to review if it was or wasn't. Right now they can only review if its a flagrant 1 or 2.

PrettyBoyJ
02-15-2011, 12:45 AM
basket interference

cheaptrikz
02-15-2011, 12:55 AM
I hate th 3 second!

Bornknick73
02-15-2011, 01:00 AM
hanging on the rim. I enjoy the little swings and 1 handed dismounts.

EdGein812
02-15-2011, 01:12 AM
You think moving screens is a bad NBA rule?

This. x2

And there's only two I don't like. The offensive player getting the defensive player into the air and then jumping into him to make contact.

And charging / blocking. I get it's purpose, it's just so subjective. It leads to too much flopping and too many BS calls. I wish their was a clear cut way to go about it, though there probably isn't or they would implement it.

mttwlsn16
02-15-2011, 01:15 AM

ya this is redic

After a turnover on a fast break the refs whistle a 24 sec violation and kill the fast break...happens to the heat all the time.

hate the heat but agreed, ive seen it too many times

lebron

agreed to a T

hdxstunts1
02-15-2011, 01:17 AM
The ONLY rule in the NBA that i dont like is The Defensive 3 seconds call...teams should be allowed to play zones cause some NBA teams just cant shoot....its a crap rule, all the others are absolutely perfect for the league!

chicago lulz
02-15-2011, 01:17 AM

This. It's not the rules that bother me, more so the officiating and inconsistencies.

But if I had to choose, it would be clear path foul. When are you not allowed to foul when someone's on a fast break??? You're just supposed to let him go get two free points, but if you foul, it's two free and the ball?

papa_agar
02-15-2011, 01:22 AM
euro flopping...aka charge/blocking foul needs to go

bulls_world23
02-15-2011, 01:37 AM
Referees can't be older than dirt

Skizzik
02-15-2011, 01:38 AM
The lack of a rule to govern flopping. I hate soccer, but I hear they have some ridiculous penalty (like $500k or something stupid) if you're caught flopping. Certain players would have been out of the league ages ago because they couldn't keep paying to play basketball.

The other one for me is anytime an offensive player jumps/launches themselves in to a player and it's a foul. Like, tell me why when someone jumps up to block you and realizes they got faked and moves left...how you earn two free throws by leaning to your left suddenly and missing your actual shot horrendously. It's so dumb seeing people throw themselves in to other players and getting rewarded for it.

hornetsfansydne
02-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Hand checking. Why should you be penalize for playing defense

Superstar calls is also the worse thing ive ever seen. Its like the WWE in basketball form with those types of calls

Hand checking is not defense..... you are using your hand to gain an advantage ie not defense. proper defense is about moving your feet not using your hands/arm to guide the ball carrier around the court

bulls_world23
02-15-2011, 02:04 AM
^^^^ some of them even stick their legs out to create contact.

hornetsfansydne
02-15-2011, 02:08 AM
This. It's not the rules that bother me, more so the officiating and inconsistencies.

But if I had to choose, it would be clear path foul. When are you not allowed to foul when someone's on a fast break??? You're just supposed to let him go get two free points, but if you foul, it's two free and the ball?

But is deliberately fouling a part of our game?? no it is not!! and it should never be. If you want to stop the bucket get back on d or try to block the shot from behind. once the shooting motion has begun it is no longer a clear path foul, it is a normal foul unless the contact is deemed unsportsmanlike (or flagrant as you guys call it, im Australian so go by FIBA rules-the proper rules)

TopsyTurvy
02-15-2011, 02:17 AM
I'll preface this by saying I don't even particularly like the international game.

FIBA Goal Tending (or rim guarding) should come to the NBA and the timeout process (not number of timeouts) also be implemented. For anyone who doesn't know how the timeout process differs, the major changes are that the coach is the only person who can call a timeout, it is reported through the scorers table exclusively, timeouts cannot break up a free throw sequence, and timeouts can only be called during stoppages.

The rim guarding enables for a slightly different game to develop around the cylinder while similarly removing additional responsibilities from officials. Gaoltending still exists, but playing above the rim becomes more of an option and many players have reacted favorably to the rule change. Bring in the highlight reel and break out some popcorn.

The timeout process in FIBA simply keeps the game more fluid, removes the dreaded "did the player have possession/was he inbounds when he called the TO" decision by the official, and rewards better preparation/better coached teams.

Deception
02-15-2011, 02:35 AM

U mad?

Storch
02-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Kick ball is ********. Unless they actually kick the ball, THEN call it. Stupid refs.

And hand check rule needs to go water down, that's when the NBA turned into a Superstar bias league.

bulls_world23
02-15-2011, 03:18 AM
hand check fouls is the worst by far. It sucks when a player has to sit out just for putting his hands on someones back...pathetic.

TrueFan420
02-15-2011, 04:36 AM

id like to second that

k24magic
02-15-2011, 05:11 AM
The hand-checking rule. I mean if you put one hand on a perimeter player especially the really quick guys like James, Wade, Parker, Rose, etc I wonder if they would still have the same impact on the game. If that rule didnt exist. That explains why their aren't many good defenders anymore because you cant even put your hand on a player. That's why Michael Jordan says he could easily score 50pts in the NBA now because he knows the defender cant get too physical with him. And to think he scored 50 pts in a playoff game against the bad boy Pistons teams back in the late 80's early 90's without the rule. Shows you how soft the league has gotten.

Flopping really gets annoying I mean I am sick of seeing Dwight Howard goes into his move and and a guy just takes a dive. Sometimes its an offensive foul but, because he is so strong dudes just fall to the ground and they get the call and the worst part its guys that play his position as well. The guilty culprits Fisher, Ginobili, Varejao.

One more thing the palming rule. I mean what is a carry in the NBA. I didn't know you could put your hand under the ball and keep going. I play ball everyday and we always call that it sometimes even starts arguements. For an example the Lakers and Celtics game last Thursday Kobe Bryant clearly carries the ball and the refs dont call it. Then Deron Williams gets called for it even Allen Iverson gets called for it. I mean if you're going to call it call it on the superstars too not one time out of a million.

John Walls Era
02-15-2011, 05:17 AM
I would like the hand checking rule to be more lenient. If someone shoves it into another players body then sure thats a foul. But I think you should be allowed to use the arm as an impeding obstacle.

hans dolo
02-15-2011, 05:23 AM
the Technical Foul still pisses me off the most. its the only rule in any major sport that allows an official to offer points to a team undefended, and uncontested. 1 free point(if you make the FT, of course) which could, and has, decided games.
I hated the tech fouls even before the new "Too Much Emotion" tech's that sometime's get called now(on non stars). a player can just look at a ref in a particular way and get a tech called. an opposing team should not get a free point attempt just because a player/coach arugue's(or celebrates now) with an official.
Bottomline is NBA refs are the biggest poosies in all of officiating and definitely the most inconsistent. ahhhh, feel much better now

Antipod
02-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Overprotecting and bias towards "superstars"

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-15-2011, 05:56 AM
out of bounds, it would be more entertaining when players had more room to operate.

sf-fanatic
02-15-2011, 05:57 AM
I have many.

First of all, refs need to enforce the traveling, double dribbling, and carrying violations more often. Not calling these calls is making it almost impossible to stay in front of a defender. Everyone does this and its annoying.

Next, the continuation is ********. We see players take 2-3 steps after the first contact and it counts as continuation. The current continuation rule is "If the player didn't dribble again and is about to shoot." Why not simplify it and say if you are actually in the process of shooting the ball? Like raising the ball about to shoot.

Lastly, this always bothered me and I want them to adjust this. This is hard to explain, but if Curry makes a nice pass to David Lee who is fouled and misses the shot, I think that if David Lee makes both free throws Curry should be awarded an assist. I mean David Lee did eventually score the equivalent of making the bucket and Curry should be awarded for the nice pass. Curry should not be penalized for the foul (no assist.)

CityofChaos
02-15-2011, 05:59 AM
The superstar treatment that the refs give to certain players are the biggest issue in the NBA...

tcav701
02-15-2011, 07:36 AM
1. Superstar calls
2. New tech rule
3. Hopstep (traveling in my book)/traveling (not called)/carries (not called)
4. Draft Lottery
5. MLE

All rules that keep the favored players and teams on top of the league.

Make that cash Stern!!!

TheDiggler
02-15-2011, 08:09 AM
I have many.

First of all, refs need to enforce the traveling, double dribbling, and carrying violations more often. Not calling these calls is making it almost impossible to stay in front of a defender. Everyone does this and its annoying.

Next, the continuation is ********. We see players take 2-3 steps after the first contact and it counts as continuation. The current continuation rule is "If the player didn't dribble again and is about to shoot." Why not simplify it and say if you are actually in the process of shooting the ball? Like raising the ball about to shoot.

Lastly, this always bothered me and I want them to adjust this. This is hard to explain, but if Curry makes a nice pass to David Lee who is fouled and misses the shot, I think that if David Lee makes both free throws Curry should be awarded an assist. I mean David Lee did eventually score the equivalent of making the bucket and Curry should be awarded for the nice pass. Curry should not be penalized for the foul (no assist.)

You Sir, are such a homer ! :hide:

;)

But, I agree on the first 2. Especially travelling is getting funny. Some take 2 steps before they start to dribble.

I think, they call to much "touching". You can't defend fast guys or fat guys without "touching" them a bit. I so hate it, when the smallest little touch gets called ...

Temper
02-15-2011, 08:21 AM

Man, relax it's over with.

millerandco
02-15-2011, 08:45 AM
too many foul's called these days...imagine if rodman was still in the league!

bulls_world23
02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
too many foul's called these days...imagine if rodman was still in the league!

He'd probably foul out in the first 2 minutes of the game.

jtsunami
02-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Hand-check. I like the NBA more than College Bball, but the think I like about college more is that the defense is more intense because they are allowed to play the ballhandler tight. The NBA will never go back on this rule, sadly.

Clear path foul. You should be able to foul someone anywhere, anytime. The ref can still decide not to call it and let the fastbreak happen anyway. Obviously if it's a flagrant they can also call that.

Getting in the lane on a foul shot before it hits rim. The defense should have the advantage of getting the rebound on a missed FT. Letting people get in early is an advantage to the offense and also allows offensive players outside the lane to run in grab a rebound.

Not having 1 and 1 FTs. If a team is in the bonus it's ALWAYS 2 shots, not 1 and 1 like HS and college. This is an advantage for the offense and frequently discourages comebacks from the losing team.

Basically foul calls that favor superstars. Lebron, Wade (sorry, didn't mean to point out only Heat players), Kevin Martin, etc. just put their head down into the defense and throw something up and get a foul. It has forced my favorite player (Rose) to start doing it. Really, it should be an offensive foul many times, but the refs and rules favor the offense. Lebron does this more than anyone. When he is having an off shooting night, he just takes advantage of the system which results in a foul call or an uncontested short range shot since defenders are afraid to touch him.

Atticus Finch
02-15-2011, 01:08 PM
I hate the defensive 3 second rule that allows teams to play zone. I liked it better when it was just illegal defense and defenders had to be within arms distance of their man at all times.

pd1dish
02-15-2011, 01:28 PM

i actually like all those rules except for the hand check foul. it makes the game too soft

AIRMAR72
02-15-2011, 02:48 PM
all i know is that flopping should be penalized, and the charges get ridiculous at times
i agree flopping should be penalize

bulls_world23
02-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Can't stand the fact that players can't show emotion without getting a technical.

Gram
02-15-2011, 06:15 PM

This.

Arch Stanton
02-15-2011, 06:20 PM

Scrubs don't get triple doubles. But I hear they camp out on the Heat roster.

killbumdeluxe13
02-15-2011, 06:23 PM

Cant comment on whether or not it happens to the heat all the time, but I agree that would have to be the most annoying call. I've seen it happen a lot and it never made sense to me. Hand check fouls have to be in there as well, you shouldn't be penalized for playing good defense.

CostanzaNumba0
02-15-2011, 06:32 PM
If the refs can remember the spanish-american war, its probably a sign that they shouldnt be on the court

netsgiantsyanks
02-15-2011, 06:34 PM

the same short bug eyed scrub who had a triple double against your team?

GodsSon
02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
They should change the draft lottery in one of these ways...

1) Hold the lottery live on TV to help dispel thoughts that it's rigged. If it's as legit as they claim, then what's the problem with everyone seeing it instead of being behind closed doors??

2) Only the bottom 5 teams should have any shot at the top pick, with the percentages being heavily skewed for the top 3. Does anyone actually believe that Chicago "lucked" out in the 08 draft lottery?

Fireworld
02-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Offensive foul on flops.

dtmagnet
02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Not sure if this counts as a rule, but when a play is called a foul for a star player but not called a foul for a regular player. Call it fair! Star players don't need help to be good!

jasonresno
02-15-2011, 07:55 PM
I hate when shooters go up for a shot, see a defender, and then fling themselves three feet to the right or left to initiate contact---and then get to shoot FTs. You shouldn't look like a magnet when trying to initiate contact. Fuuuuckin hate it.

knicks4life33
02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
During fights they should allow the bench players to leave with out suspension lol

Rego247
02-15-2011, 10:51 PM
I hate when shooters go up for a shot, see a defender, and then fling themselves three feet to the right or left to initiate contact---and then get to shoot FTs. You shouldn't look like a magnet when trying to initiate contact. Fuuuuckin hate it.

yea that gets annoying to watch. plus the rip through move star players do ****ing annoys the **** outta me. guys like KD rip the ball through the defenders outstretched arm and its 2 shots automatic. i hate that call.

bulls_world23
02-16-2011, 02:00 AM
I also hate when they call an and1 on a continuation that wasn't.

Geargo Wallace
02-16-2011, 02:10 AM
yea that gets annoying to watch. plus the rip through move star players do ****ing annoys the **** outta me. guys like KD rip the ball through the defenders outstretched arm and its 2 shots automatic. i hate that call.

yeee and then the commentators talk about it in praise. "What a veteran move by..."

hornetsfansydne
02-16-2011, 02:45 AM
the Technical Foul still pisses me off the most. its the only rule in any major sport that allows an official to offer points to a team undefended, and uncontested. 1 free point(if you make the FT, of course) which could, and has, decided games.
I hated the tech fouls even before the new "Too Much Emotion" tech's that sometime's get called now(on non stars). a player can just look at a ref in a particular way and get a tech called. an opposing team should not get a free point attempt just because a player/coach arugue's(or celebrates now) with an official.
Bottomline is NBA refs are the biggest poosies in all of officiating and definitely the most inconsistent. ahhhh, feel much better now

so you should be allowed to abuse the **** out of the ref?? they are human after all, its not possible to call everything correctly. humans do make mistakes.....

KingPosey
02-16-2011, 02:46 AM

1: I could take it or leave it.
2: Is a great rule, if they ever callled it. Watch any Shaq game.
3: Good rule, you shouldnt be able to take away a 1 vs none by fouling.
4: People can get hurt, and a guy could just run next to you down the lane every play and you would score.
5: But T's, while they are a good rule in principal, refs control they game WAY too much.

faridk89
02-16-2011, 03:38 AM
1. Chris Bosh
2. L. James

that is all

JiffyMix88
02-16-2011, 05:51 AM
so you should be allowed to abuse the **** out of the ref?? they are human after all, its not possible to call everything correctly. humans do make mistakes.....

Well y don't we have as many complaints about reffing in football then?

knicksfan42
02-16-2011, 07:35 AM

Hate this one too.

RangersMets
02-16-2011, 10:12 AM
hanging on the rim. its like celebrating after hitting a home run, a hole in one, scoring in hockey, soccer, and basically celebrating in every other sport haha. it just adds more fun to the game

ugafan
02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
The whole 'out of bounds thing'. Players should be able to go wherever they please. Also that dribbling ****. Who cares if somebody bounces the ball? I don't.

bulls_world23
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
What about a 4 pt shot behind Harcourt?

imagesrdecievin
02-16-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm sorry but I seriously have to question whether anyone who is criticizing the hand-check rule has ever played defense while using it?

I know you all think it's ticky tack "He was just touching him" fouls - but is absolutely impossible for anyone other than the two players involved to know just how hard the hand check is. Gary payton used to be the master of looking like he was 'just touching' when in reality he was completely re-directing/stopping his man from going where he wanted to.

I play pick-up ball now and there is guy I guard who is unstoppable for the level of competition he is playing against. Every now and again I hand-check him and my teammates all ask me how I am sometimes able to play such good defense against him and others he just literally blows by me at will? He just looks at me and smiles.

SMH!
02-16-2011, 05:44 PM

lol when i played high school ball, we were taught to do that, you cant let another team get a free timeout, i dont know what a ref can do...

JWO35
02-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Traveling :mad: