PDA

View Full Version : Female Coaches and NBA

Spurred1
02-13-2011, 08:43 PM
So this topic came up in the Mavs forum and I thought maybe it merited general discussion instead of another Melo thread.
Could a woman be an effective coach in the NBA? I'm of the thought that it really comes down to what is between the ears, not legs.
Thoughts?

What?
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
The biggest problem i see for a female coach coaching in the nba is if she would be able to get the players to respect her.

Niro
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
no

hugepatsfan
02-13-2011, 08:48 PM
The biggest problem i see for a female coach coaching in the nba is if she would be able to get the players to respect her.

This.

Rndy
02-13-2011, 08:48 PM
No and not because they wouldn't be capable of doing so. But unfortunately I think players would just not respect them.

JPHX
02-13-2011, 08:51 PM
plus her estrogen levels would skyrocket when she would have to address so many half naked men in the locker room.

210Don
02-13-2011, 08:52 PM
no.

johnnychan
02-13-2011, 08:52 PM

Yep

Supreme LA
02-13-2011, 08:54 PM
There is the WNBA you know. Seriously, I really doubt any coach will garner any respect regardless of gender if they have no NBA experience period. If you haven't played, coached, assisted, or been part of any league staff for a considerable amount of time, I find it hard to believe you can get an NBA player to respect and listen to what you have to say.

Spurred1
02-13-2011, 08:55 PM
plus her estrogen levels would skyrocket when she would have to address so many half naked men in the locker room.

:rolleyes:

Gilly1254
02-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Not gonna happen anytime during our lifetime... I dont know if you've noticed in ALL sports, but players let their ego's make most decisions... Could you really see LeBron or someone listening to a female coach? I sure as hell can't.

Bulls_fan90
02-13-2011, 09:14 PM
This would never happen.

JNA17
02-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Unless that coach is Eddie, then i don't ever see it happening.

Rafer17
02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
No, women can't coach.

Hustla23
02-13-2011, 09:22 PM
No, women can't coach.
This.

No way, no how.

KingPosey
02-13-2011, 09:23 PM
No, and for soooooo many reasons. Plus I dont want to see grown men shooting push shots like 17 year old girls.

Supreme LA
02-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Not unless Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich had a sex change.

WizFan3
02-13-2011, 09:25 PM
no

Ray_R
02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Wasn't LeBron mom coaching Delonte West?

Zing!

But seriously I agree with just about everything everyone is saying about respect.It would be hard for a woman to get players respect especially with the egos some of this players have.

Hellcrooner
02-13-2011, 09:48 PM
If you forced players to have grade A+ averages in HS to join Ncaa then Forced them to stay the FULL 4 years in Ncaa and actually force them to study and have good grades before entering the nba

then and only then MAYBE it woudl be posible.

Nowdays players? they dont have enough between the ears to respect a woman.
Sadly.
Im not even sure if todays players woudl respect a foreign coach.

blastmasta26
02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
If you forced players to have grade A+ averages in HS to join Ncaa then Forced them to stay the FULL 4 years in Ncaa and actually force them to study and have good grades before entering the nba

then and only then MAYBE it woudl be posible.

Nowdays players? they dont have enough between the ears to respect a woman.
Sadly.
Im not even sure if todays players woudl respect a foreign coach.
It's not just a matter of intelligence, though. I think ego or some other psychological factor would definitely play a part in making a female coach impossible.

RZZZA
02-13-2011, 10:48 PM
yes, it could work.

some of the responses in here are pretty ridiculous actually. Of course a female could be an effective coach.

shep33
02-13-2011, 10:54 PM
No chance. If the respectful jerry sloan resigns, possibly due to the actions of his players, why would they respect a woman more?

RZZZA
02-13-2011, 11:03 PM
No chance. If the respectful jerry sloan resigns, possibly due to the actions of his players, why would they respect a woman more?

you mean, why would players respect a female coach as much as a male coach?

because I don't think its all about gender, people aren't that close-minded and simple. If she's a good coach and knows her stuff, they'll respect her.

Hellcrooner
02-13-2011, 11:24 PM
It's not just a matter of intelligence, though. I think ego or some other psychological factor would definitely play a part in making a female coach impossible.

There are a lot of chief executive womas out there.
Hospital directors.
Governors.
Female presidents outside the usa ( and im SURE it wont be long till usa has one Name Hilary or Sarah).
They get respect from people.
People hires them
People votes them.
Nba shoudl be no different if players had enough of an education to learn women and men deserve the same respect and can have the same skills and knowledge.

madvillian9
02-13-2011, 11:40 PM
There are a lot of chief executive womas out there.
Hospital directors.
Governors.
Female presidents outside the usa ( and im SURE it wont be long till usa has one Name Hilary or Sarah).
They get respect from people.
People hires them
People votes them.
Nba shoudl be no different if players had enough of an education to learn women and men deserve the same respect and can have the same skills and knowledge.

shut your god damn mouth

Allstar21
02-13-2011, 11:44 PM
ever watch the WNBA? women don't belong in basketball unless they are cheerleaders....

Supreme LA
02-13-2011, 11:46 PM
ever watch the WNBA? women don't belong in basketball unless they are cheerleaders....

This. The only woman's game I ever respected was Cheryl Miller but nobody could stand her loud mouth as a coach so the answer is no women in the NBA!

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-14-2011, 12:01 AM
There is much more of a chance of having a woman president.

Krzyzewskiville
02-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Is there even female division I basketball coaches? If no, then that will have to happen first.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 12:03 AM
There is much more of a chance of having a woman president.

theres already been a female coach of a male basketball team. Not nba, but still.

bringbackfredex
02-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Pat Summit is the only one who would have a chance, and honestly I don't think an NBA team would be willing to put enough money into her to try it.

Maybe some female coaches in Men's College Basketball is a more realistic possibility, because most of the guys in the NBA are cocky hood jerkoffs that wouldn't listen to them period.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 12:43 AM
lol, some real mature comments in here. Sounds like this thread is full of 8 year old boys, possibly from the Little Rascals. All members of the He-Man Woman Haters Club

Hellcrooner
02-14-2011, 12:49 AM
lol, some real mature comments in here. Sounds like this thread is full of 8 year old boys, possibly from the Little Rascals. All members of the He-Man Woman Haters Club

Those comments wouldnt be tolerable even if they were 8 years old boys.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 12:54 AM
here's a question: if soldiers are capable of obeying the command of a female general, if field agents are capable of obeying the command of a female CIA or FBI director, if even female mafia bosses are capable of keeping the loyalty and respect of their underlings, what makes professional sports so different? Is basketball any more manly than the army, the police agencies or organized crime?

clutchski
02-14-2011, 12:57 AM
I think a woman could be an amazing coach..i just don't think a woman has been given a serious opportunity

shep33
02-14-2011, 01:20 AM

because I don't think its all about gender, people aren't that close-minded and simple. If she's a good coach and knows her stuff, they'll respect her.

I actually think there would be some tension there... I really don't think players would respect a woman as a coach, I don't think it's fair but I just can't see KG responding like he would to a female coach as opposed to say a former NBA player (i.e. Doc Rivers), or a championship caliber coach.

I actually think people are still that close-minded, I think that a particular team with a female coach would get mocked severely by other NBA players. I mean imagine the trash talk going on, some of the trash talk today is already bad, but imagine the fuel that it'd give your opponents. It would be embarassing for the players, IMO.

I really think it would have no chance at working.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 01:24 AM
so it's a matter of experience and trash talk. I agree the coach should prove she's competent and capable of instilling discipline, if she can do that I don't see how trash talk would prevent a team from winning. A few convincing victories and the trash talk would stop. Teams have persevered through trash talk before, even the so-called historys worst basketball team the cavaliers could do it, a good team coached by a woman getting wins could do it.

MFFL==FML
02-14-2011, 01:27 AM
No, they don't have stoves right next to the bench... :hide:

raidersrock99
02-14-2011, 01:37 AM
at least brett favre doesnt play basketball.

shep33
02-14-2011, 01:41 AM
so it's a matter of experience and trash talk. I agree the coach should prove she's competent and capable of instilling discipline, if she can do that I don't see how trash talk would prevent a team from winning. A few convincing victories and the trash talk would stop. Teams have persevered through trash talk before, even the so-called historys worst basketball team the cavaliers could do it, a good team coached by a woman getting wins could do it.

In all honestly, I think the players would hate it, I just think they wouldn't show respect towards a female coach. Most NBA coaches today have played on a high level, and players respect that aspect about their coach.

I bet that not more than 5 teams have a coach that hasn't played in the NBA. Notice that the guys that are coaches that have not played in the NBA either, are really just guru's at strategy or else have spent years working their ways up the ranks, in the process gaining experience from some of the greats. I think players respect that about their coaches, and I think that if their coaches also have vast experience under some of the greatest coaches of all time, i.e. Riley, Phil Jackson, etc. they'll also respect that about you.

Example:

Tom Thibs- Guy's defensive strategy is among the all-time greatest at any level of basketball

Spoelstra- worked behind Pat Riley who mentored him into a pretty decent coach. Also played pro-ball at a high level in Europe. Was a fantastic college player also

Alvin Gentry- started as an assitant coach in college in 1980, worked his way up, through Baylor and then the Spurs in 89-90

Stan Van Gundy- Started at the university of Vermont 1981. Spent years under Riley I believe too.

Honestly, look how long it takes for guys that weren't players to become head coaches in this league. The truth of the matter is, if you haven't played in the NBA at some point in your life, its very difficult to get a job as a head coach.

shep33
02-14-2011, 01:46 AM
here's a question: if soldiers are capable of obeying the command of a female general, if field agents are capable of obeying the command of a female CIA or FBI director, if even female mafia bosses are capable of keeping the loyalty and respect of their underlings, what makes professional sports so different? Is basketball any more manly than the army, the police agencies or organized crime?

Completely different scenario though, unlike the situations you mentioned above, NBA players typically make much more then their coach. I don't think it has to do with manliness but I think it has to do with respect... my post above/before goes over that.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 01:50 AM
It's difficult, yes, but if it were to happen; by some off chance that an inexperienced female coach got a shot coaching an NBA team and by some coincidence chanced to prove herself competent as a leader and effective in the league, what would be left to disrespect? People would just be haters then.

If this team had a .500 record, is that not worthy of respect in a league where some teams can't win a game? Competence as a coach and effectiveness as a team are more important than gender.

y2kdre
02-14-2011, 01:50 AM
the truth is that gender aside, look at the numbers of head coaches that aren't former NBA players?

shep33
02-14-2011, 01:51 AM
Another thing I want to add, the dynamics of the NBA game are completely different then any other level of basketball. Typically women's basketball relates to the NCAA level. Honestly, I don't know how much different the WNBA game is from the NCAA college womens game, but I remember watching like 2 mins of a game 4-5 years ago and looked very similar.

Now at the NBA level, your dealing with the best athletes in the world, something a woman coach has not experienced personally. The style of game is completely different, and I think if a woman coach wants to learn that process, she needs to spend her dues (which like other coaches can be 15-20 years as a scout, assistant, etc.

Ty Fast
02-14-2011, 02:13 AM
not going to happen

shep33
02-14-2011, 02:27 AM
This is a great question, but I mean its social issue, and people saying its sexist not to give a woman a shot, well the same goes for outside of mens sports. There are numerous examples where women have opportunities that men would never get.

I'm gonna level with you guys though... this is an embarassing story for me...when I was in Jr. High, I went to a very poor Jr. High mind you before going to one of the best high school basketball programs in Canada (still not saying much lol), my team had girls on it because not enough girls would play on the girls team. So we had about 5 girls on the team. Now at first, I was a little skeptical, but I went in with a clear mind, as some of these girls were my friends outside of ball.

Honestly... after playing with girl players I knew I had to accept the fact that as players, girls were nowhere near the level as guys playing at the same level. Like its not even close. And without question, I knew that when playing with someone that has no chance at competing at the same level as you, you lose respect for their ability to teach you, its just how i felt at the time.

Now, what I said may sound unfair, I'm basing it off of an experience years ago. However, I look at it in this light... if there are two doctors one male and one female. Which one would you take if your life was on the line with an illness? Now the male Doctor has had 20 years experience at the highest medical facilities around the world, say he was a Dr. from the Mayo Clinic with extensive knowledge of your illness. The female Dr. on the other hand, is a recent graduate from a small college, with little or no experience with your certain illness.

Easy answer would be you take the Dr. with the most experience. In this case the male Dr. Not only do you prefer the male Dr. because of his experience, you respect him, because he achieved a higher level of achievement then the female Dr., in an atmosphere/field which is not dictated by sex. I think that's the bottom line. The female Dr. although still a Dr., does not have the long term experience nor the skill of the other Dr.

I know, worst analogy ever

If a woman NBA player eventually became a coach, then there would be more light to this debate. But lets be real, it hasn't happend, and likely won't happen not because a limitation of sex, but because women cannot compete at the NBA level. If a woman was good enough, I could guarantee you she'd be in the NBA, owners would absolutely relish that chance... it would make the NBA a ton of money. That being said, if she did compete in the NBA, I think her chances would sky rocket, players would respect her much more then if she didn't play.

So the problem doesn't lie in a woman's ability in coaching, but the respect by which she earns from the players, as a player herself, or as a student of the game for what typically seems like decades for some coaches.

zambo4president
02-14-2011, 02:30 AM
No way in hell a team of NBA players would respect a woman enough to listen to her.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 02:39 AM
this reminds me of the female Muay Thai fighter who wanted to fight a man, Lucia Rijker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivKYP6F1_UM

"As of February 2007, she was undefeated in the ring; her boxing record is 17-0 (14 K.O.'s), and her kickboxing record is 37-0 (25 K.O.'s), conquering five world titles in the process. She met her only defeat in October 1994 at an exhibition Muay Thai kickboxing match against male opponent, World Champion Somchai Jaidee of New Zealand"

I agree that females aren't entirely biologically well suited to certain tasks, there are also some tasks that males aren't as biologically well suited towards as women but coaching is not a physical task anyway, its a mental one and if a female coach won games in the nba, she'd be respected. Suppose she was proficient at coaching, leading and winning...her team even beat your team. would she still not be suited for the job?

the question then is not of gender but merely of respect, credibility, competence, and performance at the job; knowledge that any individual could, however unlikely, attain regardless of gender, color, social standing, sexual orientation or religion.

5ass
02-14-2011, 02:50 AM
no they are inferior to us...

Allstar21
02-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Pat summit has won more games than any other coach like everrr
and people wouldn't even seriously consider giving her a job coaching males...men and women are not equal, I dont care wat yer mommy and all the psycho feminists have made you think. There is not a woman out there that would make an NBA team better. Do you really think all the NBA general managers and owners have some sinister plot to keep women down and not give them an opportunity? Do you really think if there was a woman out there that would help a team win more that a GM or owner wouldn't jump at the chance at hiring her? Get a grip people. There will never, in our lives be a woman coach, unless some owner gets really desperate and does some silly PR stunt to try and draw attention to his/her franchise.

Call me a misogynist, I don't care. You can feel free to ignore reality if you want.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Pat summit has won more games than any other coach like everrr
and people wouldn't even seriously consider giving her a job coaching males...men and women are not equal, I dont care wat yer mommy and all the psycho feminists have made you think. There is not a woman out there that would make an NBA team better. Do you really think all the NBA general managers and owners have some sinister plot to keep women down and not give them an opportunity? Do you really think if there was a woman out there that would help a team win more that a GM or owner wouldn't jump at the chance at hiring her? Get a grip people. There will never, in our lives be a woman coach, unless some owner gets really desperate and does some silly PR stunt to try and draw attention to his/her franchise.

Call me a misogynist, I don't care. You can feel free to ignore reality if you want.

but you're talking improbability, not impossibility.

I agree, its unlikely for the chain of events required for a female to become an NBA coach to occur in reality.

Stranger things have happened. Just because someone hasn't done it yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

Allstar21
02-14-2011, 03:04 AM
but you're talking improbability, not impossibility.

I agree, its unlikely for the chain of events required for a female to become an NBA coach to occur in reality.

Stranger things have happened. Just because someone hasn't done it yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

Yes, in fantasy land it could happen.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 03:06 AM
given enough time the probability of things happening is high, kind of like evolution. 95 years ago it was fantasy for a woman to vote or run a business. Today women are flying our jets into war and running for president.

Allstar21
02-14-2011, 03:07 AM
i am way to drunk to be using commas

Allstar21
02-14-2011, 03:08 AM
given enough time the probability of things happening is high, kind of like evolution. 95 years ago it was fantasy for a woman to vote or run a business. Today women are flying our jets into war and running for president.

Flying jets and being president have nothing to do with coaching men's basketball. Comparing them is silly.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Flying jets and being president have nothing to do with coaching men's basketball.

it's an analogy, all three of those things require knowledge that a female could feasibly attain and possess, males aren't inherently any more well suited than a female to be good coaches, all that's required is knowledge.

the knowledge may not be easily gotten or applied since the deck is stacked against pioneers of any kind, in any field, but if women have broken down societal barriers before what makes coaching any different?

MacFitz92
02-14-2011, 03:14 AM
I think Jon Lajoie would have something to say about this.

Trace
02-14-2011, 03:57 AM

This
/lock thread

I mean there have been instances where the players almost killed the coach so I don't know how their egos will react having a woman boss them around and such...

junion
02-14-2011, 04:05 AM
i agree.

unfortunately, a woman will never get respect as an nba coach - from the players and from the fans. "you're less of a man if you do".

junion
02-14-2011, 04:08 AM
...unless the coach is that one player's mom... you know like in the commercials where a football player's mom sets them straight, and they all listen because they're too scared to disrespect her... then the commercial always ends with them eating her soul food.

koLohe2133
02-14-2011, 04:38 AM
...unless the coach is that one player's mom... you know like in the commercials where a football player's mom sets them straight, and they all listen because they're too scared to disrespect her... then the commercial always ends with them eating her soul food.

It's campbells chunky soup....

Antipod
02-14-2011, 04:39 AM
Bad idea.

levignjw
02-14-2011, 05:29 AM
Absolutely not. That's just a recipe for disaster.

Mochalman
02-14-2011, 05:51 AM
No super star would listen to a woman coach.

Atownballa5
02-14-2011, 06:27 AM
If you can answer if women can drive... You have your real answer

Niro
02-14-2011, 06:37 AM
ich werde von frauen angemacht wie ein herd.

TheDiggler
02-14-2011, 07:38 AM
ich werde von frauen angemacht wie ein herd.

:crazy:

magichatnumber9
02-14-2011, 07:41 AM
With the way the game is going yes.

Niro
02-14-2011, 08:02 AM
:crazy:

:p ;)

Heediot
02-14-2011, 09:06 AM
They say women can cook better buuuuuut who are the most famous chefs in the world!???!

case in pint men rule! where the feminists at?

Heediot
02-14-2011, 09:08 AM

if you respect yourself and have confidence in yourself, it will be refelcted in how others treat you.

Heediot
02-14-2011, 09:10 AM
This is a great question, but I mean its social issue, and people saying its sexist not to give a woman a shot, well the same goes for outside of mens sports. There are numerous examples where women have opportunities that men would never get.

I'm gonna level with you guys though... this is an embarassing story for me...when I was in Jr. High, I went to a very poor Jr. High mind you before going to one of the best high school basketball programs in Canada (still not saying much lol), my team had girls on it because not enough girls would play on the girls team. So we had about 5 girls on the team. Now at first, I was a little skeptical, but I went in with a clear mind, as some of these girls were my friends outside of ball.

Honestly... after playing with girl players I knew I had to accept the fact that as players, girls were nowhere near the level as guys playing at the same level. Like its not even close. And without question, I knew that when playing with someone that has no chance at competing at the same level as you, you lose respect for their ability to teach you, its just how i felt at the time.

Now, what I said may sound unfair, I'm basing it off of an experience years ago. However, I look at it in this light... if there are two doctors one male and one female. Which one would you take if your life was on the line with an illness? Now the male Doctor has had 20 years experience at the highest medical facilities around the world, say he was a Dr. from the Mayo Clinic with extensive knowledge of your illness. The female Dr. on the other hand, is a recent graduate from a small college, with little or no experience with your certain illness.

Easy answer would be you take the Dr. with the most experience. In this case the male Dr. Not only do you prefer the male Dr. because of his experience, you respect him, because he achieved a higher level of achievement then the female Dr., in an atmosphere/field which is not dictated by sex. I think that's the bottom line. The female Dr. although still a Dr., does not have the long term experience nor the skill of the other Dr.

I know, worst analogy ever

If a woman NBA player eventually became a coach, then there would be more light to this debate. But lets be real, it hasn't happend, and likely won't happen not because a limitation of sex, but because women cannot compete at the NBA level. If a woman was good enough, I could guarantee you she'd be in the NBA, owners would absolutely relish that chance... it would make the NBA a ton of money. That being said, if she did compete in the NBA, I think her chances would sky rocket, players would respect her much more then if she didn't play.

So the problem doesn't lie in a woman's ability in coaching, but the respect by which she earns from the players, as a player herself, or as a student of the game for what typically seems like decades for some coaches.

women complain about this and that! when it comes to paying the bill when going out, men are villified if they don't pay up.

Stuckey#3
02-14-2011, 09:27 AM
I think Cheryl Miller could pull it off... at least as an assistant.

rapjuicer06
02-14-2011, 09:41 AM
the don't even respect the coaches they have now, why would they respect a woman coach? its like this, if you take the strongest man against the strongest female the strongest male wins. if you take the fastest male against the fastest female, the male wins. this plays into guys' minds and ego's that when it comes to sports men are just better. whether thats true or not (when it comes to coaching) doesn't matter because no female will be given that opportunity. and i'm not going to say its a bad thing either. females should be allowed in the locker room especially after all of the sexual harrassment bs going on in the nfl. it just wouldn't be smart. when charles barkley was asked about having female officials he said thats fine, just as long as they don't mind a pat on the *** on occasion...that right there is how pro male athletes think. whether its a few or most, having any would make it not work

tangent12
02-14-2011, 11:47 AM
.. If there was cooking and cleaning involved.. then maybe..

Atticus Finch
02-14-2011, 12:10 PM
I find it funny that the #1 problem is that women wouldn't be respected, yet it's somehow spun to be the woman's fault, not the players. Lawrence Frank never played NBA ball, hell he never even made his high school team, yet he somehow managed to get NBA players to listen and play for him.

CostanzaNumba0
02-14-2011, 12:12 PM
There would be serious issues, addressing the team in the locker room in various states of undress being one of them, it would cause too much discomfort for all parties involved

Atticus Finch
02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
There would be serious issues, addressing the team in the locker room in various states of undress being one of them, it would cause too much discomfort for all parties involved

You mean basketball players would feel MORE uncomfortable being naked around a woman than a man?

Da Knicks
02-14-2011, 12:36 PM
I think a woman would do good with X and O it would be hard to teach such things to say a Stephen Jackson, Rasheed Wallace, Ron Artest.

Tucc
02-14-2011, 01:22 PM
The answer is yes. A woman can coach just as good as a man. I'm going to agree with what others said in that the only obstacle would be getting the respect of the players. However, that's something every coach needs to do regardless of their gender.

CostanzaNumba0
02-14-2011, 01:32 PM
You mean basketball players would feel MORE uncomfortable being naked around a woman than a man?

yes, and the same applies to the coach comfort level around the players, theres a reason why locker rooms are separate

Atticus Finch
02-14-2011, 01:54 PM
yes, and the same applies to the coach comfort level around the players, theres a reason why locker rooms are separate

It really sucks theres no such thing as towels, robes, shorts, underwear, clothing, tube socks, or snuggies to cover up with. Why is it that males can coach in the WNBA then? Is it only an issue if a woman is looking at naked men, but not if a man is looking at naked women?

THINKBLUE15
02-14-2011, 02:50 PM
It isn't a matter of capability. They are capable of having the knowledge to lead a team.

It is a matter of men taking orders from a woman... Of course it is unfortunate, but naturally, I would feel weird and get agitated with a woman bossing me around and calling the shots on my basketball team. It is in our male blood to feel superior to woman in certain things...sports is one of those things. It is just too weird and would be too easy for players to disregard her feelings/knowledge/etc.

Klivlend
02-14-2011, 03:26 PM
You guy's do know there is a female coach in the D-League, right?

Hellcrooner
02-14-2011, 03:26 PM
It isn't a matter of capability. They are capable of having the knowledge to lead a team.

It is a matter of men taking orders from a woman... Of course it is unfortunate, but naturally, I would feel weird and get agitated with a woman bossing me around and calling the shots on my basketball team. It is in our male blood to feel superior to woman in certain things...sports is one of those things. It is just too weird and would be too easy for players to disregard her feelings/knowledge/etc.

There are female soldiers with higher graduation giving orders to men soldiers.
There are Female Directors in hospitals, Universitys, Restaurants, finantial asosiations and so on giving order to men.

Whats the problem with that?

sixerszzz
02-14-2011, 03:30 PM

I agree with you, but I also think that unfortunately some NBA players would have the same attitude as some of the posters here. There are NBA guys that don't respect coaches who have played in the league and coached for decades. If these players were the star players on the team then a woman would have no shot at getting the job.

I think a woman will be a head coach in the league someday. But first, this woman will have to pay an extraordinary amount of dues. For example she would probably have to be a top college player, then a top WNBA player, then maybe top WNBA or NCAA womens coach, then be the lowest level member of a men's college team coaching staff or NBA staff, and slowly work her way up.

It will probably take quite a few women at the college level as assistants and then coaches, before they have the same roles in the NBA. It will happen, but it will take a long time.

I think one of the biggest obstacles is that women's basketball is inferior to men's basketball at the pro and college level. An NBA team will always beat a WNBA team. In other professions, women are equal to men in ability, but they will never be equal to men in a profession that is so heavily dependent on physical characteristics.

oldfishermen
02-14-2011, 03:46 PM
If there ever was a group of young men that could benefit from motherly guidance, it is many of the NBA rosters.. Utah’s roster is first on that list. They did not respect one of the all time great coaches of the game.. Maybe they will respect a woman? If not, those players do not belong in the league.

A woman has just as much right to coach in the NBA as any man does. Those that do not respect this are very immature. Also, I believe a woman may offer some below the rim strategy and ball movement systems that have been forgotten by many of the male coaches. Woman coaches could make the game fun to watch again.

THINKBLUE15
02-14-2011, 03:47 PM
There are female soldiers with higher graduation giving orders to men soldiers.
There are Female Directors in hospitals, Universitys, Restaurants, finantial asosiations and so on giving order to men.

Whats the problem with that?

There isn't a problem with that. And there SHOULDN'T be a problem in the NBA. But there is. There will be if it ever happens.

Don't act like I think it is right. It is just the way it will turn out. A girl telling these huge ego macho men what to do in a matter such as professional basketball? I don't think so. These players think they know it all already...they are so good and have played so long they will feel stupid taking BASKETBALL orders from a female. It isn't right, but it is what it is. It is a natural thing. Some things are not for mixed company.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 03:50 PM
There isn't a problem with that. And there SHOULDN'T be a problem in the NBA. But there is. There will be if it ever happens.

Don't act like I think it is right. It is just the way it will turn out. A girl telling these huge ego macho men what to do in a matter such as professional basketball? I don't think so. These players think they know it all already...they are so good and have played so long they will feel stupid taking BASKETBALL orders from a female. It isn't right, but it is what it is. It is a natural thing. Some things are not for mixed company.

do male soldiers feel stupid following the lead of a female commanding officer? Do male members of the Sicilian mafia have trouble taking orders from a female capo?

There was even a case of a female Latin King member (latin queen) who acted as a street boss for underlings because the gang leader was in jail.

Skizzik
02-14-2011, 03:55 PM
You guy's do know there is a female coach in the D-League, right?

Lol, oddly enough, that's how this whole thing started. If you noticed Spurred1 posted in the original post that there was a discussion in the Mavs forum and we were discussing possible candidates that could replace Rick whenever. I made sure to mention Nancy Lieberman (the coach you're talking about). Why? Well, first off, it seems like she's doing a fine job in the NBDL. But add to that, she's close friends with Donnie Nelson (our GM) and well, there's this guy who owns the Mavericks named Mark Cuban...he likes attention (in case people hadn't caught that)...what better way to grab attention than to make your next head coach female (whenever Rick and the Mavs do part ways)?

Geargo Wallace
02-14-2011, 04:06 PM
what kind of grown *** man would listen to a woman about how to play a sport?

Klivlend
02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Lol, oddly enough, that's how this whole thing started. If you noticed Spurred1 posted in the original post that there was a discussion in the Mavs forum and we were discussing possible candidates that could replace Rick whenever. I made sure to mention Nancy Lieberman (the coach you're talking about). Why? Well, first off, it seems like she's doing a fine job in the NBDL. But add to that, she's close friends with Donnie Nelson (our GM) and well, there's this guy who owns the Mavericks named Mark Cuban...he likes attention (in case people hadn't caught that)...what better way to grab attention than to make your next head coach female (whenever Rick and the Mavs do part ways)?

Ah, thanks. I didn't think I saw it in this thread and I didn't check the Mavs forum. I guess I could see it happening. It's would have to be the right woman, obviously. Her experience and success in the D-League does make her an interesting candidate.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 04:10 PM
what kind of grown *** man would listen to a woman about how to play a sport?

a mature and reasonable one.

Youre just assuming that because shes a woman, she cant coach. Maybe women CANT play the sport as well as men, but that doesn't mean they cant coach as well as them.

DodgerB24
02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
one Name Hilary or Sarah).

oh god. No to both. :pity:

No, I don't think it's possible.

braveniler58
02-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Sure, it's possible.

There are female coaches who are geniuses -- look at Pat Summitt. She's won more games than anybody in NCAA history. She's a great coach. As much as I despise her.

Nancy Lieberman is also coaching the D-League.

However, for a female coach to coach in the NBA, the circumstances have to be right. She probably will need to spend a few years as an assistant coach in the NBA to pick up the NBA game.

Most of all, the female coach needs a chance. Nobody is willing to give one, but if someone would, something good might happen. You'd never know.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Nancy Lieberman is also coaching the D-League.

A female AND a jew? That's going too far, even I can't respect someone like that

:D

Geargo Wallace
02-14-2011, 09:07 PM
a mature and reasonable one.

Youre just assuming that because shes a woman, she cant coach. Maybe women CANT play the sport as well as men, but that doesn't mean they cant coach as well as them.

sorry babe, but if you can find a team of that, you`ll win the championship with a baby as a coach.

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 09:08 PM
My team is like that, everyone is mature, nobody is a head case or a thug.

MiamiWadeCounty
02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
My team is like that, everyone is mature, nobody is a head case or a thug.

Lol...Joakim Noah on KG, "He is a very mean guy." "Ugly too." Although he isn't lying at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa6rgPte4S8

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 09:16 PM
so what, he's undisciplined running off at the mouth but disciplined when it comes to serious stuff, when it comes to the team.

We aren't the nuggets and we aren't the jazz, nobody goes off and does their own thing on this team.

MiamiWadeCounty
02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
so what, he's undisciplined running off at the mouth but disciplined when it comes to serious stuff, when it comes to the team.

We aren't the nuggets and we aren't the jazz, nobody goes off and does their own thing on this team.

I was just kidding bro, no need to get so defensive, although if you ask me omer asik is one immature, trash-talking piece of **** if you ask me. ;)

RZZZA
02-14-2011, 09:22 PM
hah, Noah is such a stereotypical stoner, concerned with being nice and sweet. Can't we all just get along?

xxplayerxx23
02-14-2011, 09:28 PM
can u imagin If kim kardishian coached a team?

Two-3
02-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Well honestly the only women id see who could be respect and heard as a coach would have to be lisa leslie if any. And even then I doubt she would be a good coach