PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Times: ESPN promoted D.O.A. Carmelo/Bynum story for ratings

D Roses Bulls
02-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Not surprising one bit.....

These days the best trades are those ESPN makes up, like its one-day Carmelo Anthony-Andrew Bynum blockbuster with as much basis in fact as Bigfoot.

Here's what happened:
Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak asked Denver GM Masai Ujiri what they wanted for Anthony.

In the NBA version of "Mission: Impossible's" self-destructing messages, each GM says the other called him, standard practice since the invention of the telephone.

Whoever made this exploratory call, that ended that . . . almost.

All over butthe shouting

ESPN's Chris Broussard reported "preliminary discussions about a blockbuster trade."

Cellphones on the Lakers beat started ringing like the hot line from Moscow.

With the advantage of years developing Lakers sources . . . as opposed to trusting a single source, like the one who assured everyone Anthony was New Jersey-bound . . . local writers got denials across the board and, significantly, nothing suggesting Jim Buss doesn't still dote on Bynum.

If some Lakers players wanted a Melo-Al Harrington-for-Bynum-Ron Artest deal, the front office and coaches didn't.

By the way, Jim's right. Bynum remains their key.

If they're big, slow and don't defend, what part does Melo address?

That ended that . . . almost.

Morning (gag)in America

In a major dog-and-pony show even for it, "SportsCenter" spent its first six minutes on the DOA report the next morning.

Would Melo and wife La La Vazquez like it here?

(They have a house in Malibu. Guess.)

Would Melo fit with Kobe Bryant?

(If not, Kobe will bite his head off at the neck.)

Would someone take Artest?

(Maybe in an alternate universe.)

"Nice little story for us!" chirped Hannah Storm. "Post-Super Bowl, but here we've got Melo maybe going to the defending champs. This is great stuff!"

(What Hannah meant was, they had zip before launching this paper airplane.)

"It never ends in the NBA anymore," Broussard said. "After Melo, we'll move on to somebody else, believe me."

I believe you.

"Chris Broussard updates all day long . . ." sang Storm.

"On ESPNLA.com, weigh in: Should the Lakers, two-time defending champs, make a move?"

Old school's out

"Don't hate the playa, hate the game," Ice-T wrote in a principle extending beyond South L.A.

This isn't even about ESPN but the technology and the media-wide fight to survive.

Storm, Sage Steele and Josh Elliott are great anchors, more natural than company icon Dan Patrick without laughing at their own jokes like Keith Olbermann.

Broussard is a friend who came up through the New York Times.

Leveling growth rates at ESPN led to a new urgency to make news . . . like LeBron James' special, which bosses subsequently apologized to staffers for.

Oh, and James no longer talks to ESPN.

A newspaper reporter this wrong would have a lot of explaining to do.

At ESPN, NBA partner and ally of Creative Artists Agency, the movie star agency pushing Anthony's move, Broussard was on the cutting edge where he was supposed to be.

The story is now gone — except on the Big Talk Show from Bristol where its pratfall morphed into Lakers Trip May Decide Whether They Trade Bynum.

Next: ESPNLA.com asks Lakers fans if they've seen Bigfoot!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-nba-coast-20110213,0,3350426,full.story

ESPN’s Chris Broussard reported “preliminary discussions about a blockbuster trade.”

Cellphones on the Lakers beat started ringing like the hot line from Moscow.

With the advantage of years developing Lakers sources . . . as opposed to trusting a single source, like the one who assured everyone Anthony was New Jersey-bound . . . local writers got denials across the board and, significantly, nothing suggesting Jim Buss doesn’t still dote on Bynum.

This is a beat writer (who has multiple sources with the team he covers) taking aim at a national writer (who may only have one source). Heisler’s accusation falls squarely on the shoulders of Broussard and those producers at ESPN who decided to promote this story/rumor based on Broussard’s source(s).

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/la_times_espn_promoted_doa_carmelobynum_story_for_ ratings/4153939

Jahari Kavi
02-13-2011, 04:57 PM
ESPN would never report something just for ratings.............

D Roses Bulls
02-13-2011, 05:01 PM
lol.... ESPN does things like this and people still take them seriously

The Jokemaker
02-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Just the way the world works. Every media outlet out there does this sort of stuff. Create something out of nothing to get ratings.

xxcubs22xx
02-13-2011, 05:24 PM

:laugh2:

Spurred1
02-13-2011, 05:35 PM
If ESPN wants to be considered a reliable news source, they'll refrain from promoting and over hyping these types of non stories. Otherwise, they'll just be on the level of bleacherreport. A fun little site with entertaining writing at times, yet 95% fact free.

RollinDeep
02-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Putting the B in BSPN.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
lol.... ESPN does things like this and people still take them seriously

hilarious sig:clap:

CostanzaNumba0
02-13-2011, 05:48 PM
what a crock, i hate espn

PhillyFaninLA
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Fact ESPN is a business.
Fact businesses need to do everything to they can to make money.
Fact ESPN is a TV station.
Fact rumors get people's attention.
Fact TV stations make money from advertising.
Fact ratings have a role in advertising cost.
Fact sports rumors get sports fans attention.
Fact sports fans watch ESPN.

What does all that mean?

Sports fans will pay attention attention to sports rumors. If a sports station runs with the rumors they will get more attention thus higher ratings. High ratings means more money. More money and more consumers (in this case viewers, readers of the website, and fans on message boards) means good business.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I love espn for their quick reporting, stats, articles, etc. I don't know if I have ever paid attention to their rumor page, they will print anything in regards to that.

I could call them now and report the Wolves are in discussions with Larry Bird and they would print it.

But they are a business, just trying to make money. No harm in it

kblo247
02-13-2011, 06:55 PM
I still prefer Fox Sports

bovice163
02-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Not surprised. ESPN is generally a good outlet, but they have their moments.

Kakaroach
02-13-2011, 07:27 PM
ESPN has lost all credit. First, the bull**** article about Deron Williams wanting Sloan out and I'm not in the least surprised with this.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Fact businesses need to do everything they can to make money.

Here is the problem. This is not a fact. This is an American capitalist idea. Businesses, indeed, need to make money, but they don't have to make money by any means necessary. There is something called journalistic integrity.

MickeyMgl
02-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Nothing new here. This is how Obama got elected.

MickeyMgl
02-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Here is the problem. This is not a fact. This is an American capitalist idea. Businesses, indeed, need to make money, but they don't have to make money by any means necessary. There is something called journalistic integrity.

:)
Journalistic integrity died in 2008.

Bornknick73
02-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Noooooo

DaBear
02-13-2011, 08:12 PM

This is a joke, right? If ESPN was right at everything, you would believe LeBron is a Bull right now.

Kobes a Killer
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
hilarious sig:clap:

I also love his sig, also love that show, but shouldn't Bosh be in the middle like the little kid in the show is in the middle?

Kobes a Killer
02-13-2011, 08:15 PM
This is a joke, right? If ESPN was right at everything, you would believe LeBron is a Bull right now.

WOW You're great at spotting sarcasm...:rolleyes:

goose15
02-13-2011, 08:16 PM
ESPN = lame..

madvillian9
02-13-2011, 10:43 PM

jackpot

Allstar21
02-13-2011, 11:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59XgWDTi7mI

this is what ESPN is....its ******** reporting with only the object of making more money...they could care less about the truthful-ness of their reporting or opinions

Tony_Starks
02-14-2011, 12:03 AM
The fact that ESPN pimped the Lebron to New York story for over two years should tell us all something.....

Anilyzer
02-14-2011, 04:43 AM
The LA Times (wow, what a prestigious blog THAT is now, huh?) report doesn't really have that much more credibility than the ESPN report.

They even admit that neither GM will even tell them who called who. In other words, neither GM will tell them anything.

Heediot
02-14-2011, 09:22 AM
the only thing that sells more than controversy/suspense is sex

THE_G.O.A.T.
02-14-2011, 10:41 AM
ESPN wants to make money??? How dare they!!! Doesn't anyone realize that 90% of the stories are speculation? Who care...

CostanzaNumba0
02-14-2011, 10:58 AM

perfectly said, and a major reason why the american economy has collapsed

PhillyFaninLA
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM

I respect your point here, but I disagree with it. The goal of business is profitability which means making money, I do understand that you know that but I'm stating it because its a fact that the goal of business is money and profitability.

Your point about journalistic integrity and not by any means necessary are valid. By any means necessary within the context of the law is what I should of said. I do agree that journalistic integrity is important but that is not a goal, its an operational aspect or code of conduct not a goal.

To me journalistic integrity is expectation or should be, but that is not a bottom line goal. A company can exist without integrity (unfortunately) but cannot exist with money and profit.

The Jokemaker
02-14-2011, 11:10 AM
perfectly said, and a major reason why the american economy has collapsed

I believe that has more to do with integrity as a whole and less journalistic integrity. When you have corrupt higher ups screwing over people and shady business deals, you're going to get problems. Thankfully the new regulations should prevent this similar to FDR's fixes to the Great D.

And this isn't entirely ESPN's creation. The past few years the media runs with juicy stories instead of important ones that actually tell you the truth. Instead it's about causing an uproar and getting people riled up because that gets ratings. When Lakers fans heard Melo to LA, how many of them do you think tuned in to SC to see the scoop?

stlbest5in2013
02-14-2011, 11:24 AM
what makes this article a fact? sure news papers dont lie and fabricate stories. they are the true journalists of sports reporting, right???????????

magichatnumber9
02-14-2011, 11:33 AM
No knock on Kobe but he needs a cast around him that is very submissive. I'm not saying his cast has to kiss his *** or anything, but they kind of have too, for the whole thing to work. Melo is too strong a personality for it to work. The only strong personality that would of meshed perfectly with Kobe is Kevin Garnett. They are best friends and Kevin's passion is something Kobe understands.

SundaeBest
02-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Fact ESPN is a business.
Fact businesses need to do everything to they can to make money.
Fact ESPN is a TV station.
Fact rumors get people's attention.
Fact TV stations make money from advertising.
Fact ratings have a role in advertising cost.
Fact sports rumors get sports fans attention.
Fact sports fans watch ESPN.

What does all that mean?

Sports fans will pay attention attention to sports rumors. If a sports station runs with the rumors they will get more attention thus higher ratings. High ratings means more money. More money and more consumers (in this case viewers, readers of the website, and fans on message boards) means good business.

Fact: Unsusbtantiated rumor is no substitute for news.

Last I checked, the network had "news" in it's name.

Giraffes Rule
02-14-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't think they did it for ratings, I think they did it more because they wanted the deal to get done. They want the Lakers to stay relevant for as long as possible.

D Roses Bulls
02-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Fact: Rumor is no substitute for unsubstantiated rumor.

true, no matter what people say about ESPN trying to make money, they have news in their title and say they report "news" so they should not be making up false subjects

hyb152
02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Not surprising at all. Espn didn't report the story about Delonte West and Lebron's mom and the rumor was Lebron's people told ESPN not to. That's understandable because most people wouldn't want their mom to be globally known as a whoree. So ESPN threatened Lebron and said for him to do this 1 hour special "The Decision" or we're going to leak the story about your mom. Of course ESPN would do that since they knew The Decision would bring big ratings/money. Espn has no credibility at all.

AddiX
02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
ESPN is to sports as to TMZ is to entertainment.

I stopped listening to anything ESPN said a long time ago.

PhillyFaninLA
02-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Fact: Unsusbtantiated rumor is no substitute for news.

Entertainment and Sports Programming Network

and I never claimed rumors where a substitute for news. Rumors would fall into the entertainment portion of ESPN.

Anilyzer
02-14-2011, 07:24 PM
ESPN wants to make money??? How dare they!!! Doesn't anyone realize that 90% of the stories are speculation? Who care...

sure fine, who cares. But eventually people will realize that all ESPNs stories come from freelancers or new agencies or are just speculation, for the most part; and that they really don't have much more good content than any other sports website, which is whhat they really are--a big website with a listing on the cable box that has commercials and you can't click on anything.

if you don't have journalistic integrity or whatever then you're just another "bleacher report" or "hoops hype" or whatever blog + way too many commercials, ridiculous anchors who think they are so awesome and way too many weak stories. I mean LoL it's like some lady telling me all enthusiastically about Peyton Manning's accuracy in the red zone or something.

people will just tire and bore of it--I can watch a sportscenter off the TiVo in
about 3 minutes now; fast forward past everything and hit the one or two stories which are somewhat interesting, even though they're always just "teasers". Those topic tabs on the side really help, too. Their whole show is like one youtube video worth of content, with 40% commercials. The only thing good is highlighhts and they have to license those.