PDA

View Full Version : Buying an NBA Franchise (.500 or below)

wolverine54
02-13-2011, 04:37 PM
If you could buy 1 NBA franchise that is currently at .500 or below which would it be and what changes would you make to management, players, facilities, etc.?

kozelkid
02-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Clippers are an easy choice for me. Griffin should at least be a top 10 player in this league if not top 5. Eric Gordon should be a top 20 player soon and if they can get rid of Kaman and Davis they should have the cap to attract either Deron or Paul in 2012. They are also in a big city so that helps. This team has a bright, bright future.

Flash3
02-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Clippers are an easy choice for me. Griffin should at least be a top 10 player in this league if not top 5. Eric Gordon should be a top 20 player soon and if they can get rid of Kaman and Davis they should have the cap to attract either Deron or Paul in 2012. They are also in a big city so that helps. This team has a bright, bright future.

meh i wouldnt want to be always behind the lakers in the city.

sunnydayin'zona
02-13-2011, 05:04 PM
did you ever think youd be saying that the clippers have a bright future?

PurpleJesus
02-13-2011, 05:04 PM
philly, CHA, houston, clippers are all good options

Flash3
02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
i actually did research and i would choose the raptors... only team below .500 who is in the top ten in franchise valuations...

dont care if you win just get me that money :D

Flash3
02-13-2011, 05:07 PM
nvm that would be houston i change my vote to houston

knicks4life33
02-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Clippers no questions and have the chance to make your team the team to talk about about in la and have the lakers be second fiddle haha which i doubt will ever happin but right now they got blake griffin so who knows if sterling speans his money

210Don
02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
id buy the bucks

DJakk
02-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Clippers as well. Griffin, Bledsoe, Jordan, Gordon, and Aminu is one of the most prospective lineups in basketball. I agree that Los Angeles would mean being in the Lakers shadow, but I am fine with that because of the teams potential. Blake Griffin is also a player that free agents may tend to look at playing with. At this point I would keep Vinny Del Negro as my coach, but would not look the sign an extension with him whatsoever. Kaman would be on the move right now as well as Baron Davis if I could find a suitor. They could be packaged for a more prominent player or a draft pick because this team would only benefit from more youth. Jimmer Fredette, Jordan Hamilton, or Terrence Jones would be my main targets as draft picks right now. The Clippers could easily be where the Knicks are next season. Griffin as Amare. Deandre Jordan is better than any other big man the Knicks have already. Bledsoe can turn into a better player than Felton. Gordon is already better than Chandler or Fields. Aminu has potential and could be as good as Galinari, but not the same skill set.

abe_froman
02-13-2011, 05:14 PM
kings,rockets or philly just because i like them

Phenomenonsense
02-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Pistons!

BALLER R
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
i would buy the raptors. have that team become a contender and hey have the entire canadian country as my fan base. every single game would be sold out

Hellcrooner
02-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Raptors,Change name to Huskies, Bring European Coach ( Messina, Aito, Maljkovic...) Trade all Americans for euors, Montejunas with first round pick, Pablo Aguilar with second round Pick, Fight for Marc Gasol in FA.

PLAY EUROPEAN STYEL ( no first option, look for the open man) TEAM defense insted of individual one, no isolations adn etc.

See what happens.

Minimal
02-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Indiana here

Sixerlover
02-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Sixers.

Flash3
02-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Raptors,Change name to Huskies, Bring European Coach ( Messina, Aito, Maljkovic...) Trade all Americans for euors, Montejunas with first round pick, Pablo Aguilar with second round Pick, Fight for Marc Gasol in FA.

PLAY EUROPEAN STYEL ( no first option, look for the open man) TEAM defense insted of individual one, no isolations adn etc.

See what happens.

looool

im sorry but you're gonna ruin that franchise

Flash3
02-13-2011, 08:29 PM
some of you dont seem to like money with some of your decisions :p

Shareeb_omac2
02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Washington Wizards.

John Wall and a great location. A name change and change the color scheme back to Red, White and Blue. That would be my ideal situation.

fadedmario
02-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Pistons!!!

Silent
02-13-2011, 08:37 PM
clips

Pg Bledsoe
Sg Gordon
Sf Aminu
Pf Griffin
C Jordan

that is the future

Hellcrooner
02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
some of you dont seem to like money with some of your decisions :p

dont be so sure.

avrpatsfan
02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Clippers for sure.

bringbackfredex
02-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Cavs :D

I actually just turned them around in NBA 2k11, we got beat up a little this year, but I got the 2nd pick in the draft and the 6th from a trade. Then in 2012 we made the playoffs as a 5 seed haha.

PG
Gilbert Arenas
Mardy Collins
Quincy Douby

SG
Kyrie Irving
Randy Foye
Allan Ray

SF
Andre Iguodala
Derrick Byars
Adam Morrison

PF
Jarred Sullinger
Tyler Hansbrough
Sean May

C
Andrew Bynum
Marreese Speights
Lavoy Allen

I could totally do this if I was a GM, call me up Gilbert. I'll beat LeBron to a championship with my magic moves, book it.

the_jon
02-13-2011, 09:31 PM

See what happens.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that's a good idea. Do the same thing we just did 4 years ago that failed miserably.

Might as well give Calderon a max extension when his deal is up too.. :facepalm: (even as a joke this is face-palm worthy)

Hellcrooner
02-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that's a good idea. Do the same thing we just did 4 years ago that failed miserably.

Might as well give Calderon a max extension when his deal is up too.. :facepalm: (even as a joke this is face-palm worthy)

No you didnt.
You kept playing american way.
Your kept having a "franchise" player
80% of the roster was americans.
Mitch was an American coach,

I know BC wanted to hire Messina, but he chikened out of it at last minute.

pd1dish
02-13-2011, 10:13 PM

See what happens.

....get your *** kicked

BigRed
02-13-2011, 10:19 PM
I would buy Washington.

Lloyd Christmas
02-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I'd buy the Kings and move to Vegas. Easy choice.

sunsfan88
02-13-2011, 10:21 PM
The Rockets and I would fire Adelman and hire

iFYouSeekAmy
02-13-2011, 10:21 PM

Totally stole my idea.

That being said, I would buy the Warriors. Best fans in the NBA, with support from the whole Bay Area.

DoJoTheSlasher
02-13-2011, 10:23 PM
I would buy the Clippers because they have a future MVP player in Blake Griffin, a legit scorer in Eric Gordon, solid young players in Deandre Jordan, Al Farouq Aminu, and Eric Bledsoe, an All Star calibur center in Chris Kaman when healthy and they will have a ton of cap space in a few years.

I would let Davis and Kaman walk so I can get Deron Williams or Chris Paul. I would try to sign Tyson Chandler next season by telling him he will play next to Griffin and potentially Paul or Williams. Then fill the roster out with a bunch of role players.

ManRam
02-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Brooklyn Nets

bulldog312
02-13-2011, 10:34 PM
After Wednesday night the answer to this question will be easy. Knicks.

Flash3
02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
No you didnt.

are u serious with a bargnani/montejunas combo that team would get smacked night in and night out.

Flash3
02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
im gonna wait a couple games so the knicks can fall below .500

arkanian215
02-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Nets.

Hellcrooner
02-13-2011, 11:21 PM
are u serious with a bargnani/montejunas combo that team would get smacked night in and night out.

Did you not read " go hard for M gasol in fa" part?
Bargs+ Marc montejunas form the bench.

the_jon
02-13-2011, 11:23 PM
No you didnt.

Would you like me to list all the european garbage we've brought in over the years? We don't tell you guys how to play football don't tell us how to play basketball because I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't like that too much.

Guess what now we've got Triano (not American) and Bargniani (not american) leading us to glory once again! Thank the heavens for euro-basketball!!!11

Apparently you weren't watching basketball back in the 50's-60's.... There is a reason that style of play is considered obsolete.

Flash3
02-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Did you not read " go hard for M gasol in fa" part?
Bargs+ Marc montejunas form the bench.

so who are you expecting to play defense unless they can master the flop :p

the_jon
02-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Crooner is filling this thread with fail.

Flash3
02-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Would you like me to list all the european garbage we've brought in over the years? We don't tell you guys how to play football don't tell us how to play basketball because I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't like that too much.

Guess what now we've got Triano (not American) and Bargniani (not american) leading us to glory once again! Thank the heavens for euro-basketball!!!11

Apparently you weren't watching basketball back in the 50's-60's.... There is a reason that style of play is considered obsolete.

triano is canadian though so if croooner is considering all of europe as one then the Canadians would be considered one of us.

the_jon
02-13-2011, 11:29 PM
triano is canadian though so if croooner is considering all of europe as one then the Canadians would be considered one of us.
Yes but Canada clearly isn't the same as America in terms of basketball knowledge. When I think of North-American basketball I just think of America. Triano is only coaching this team BECAUSE he's Canadian. He's honestly a f***ing terrible coach.

Flash3
02-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Yes but Canada clearly isn't the same as America in terms of basketball knowledge. When I think of North-American basketball I just think of America. Triano is only coaching this team BECAUSE he's Canadian. He's honestly a f***ing terrible coach.

so ? technically we are on the same continent... just like bargnani,gasol,montejunas are.

Heediot
02-14-2011, 09:42 AM
If you could buy 1 NBA franchise that is currently at .500 or below which would it be and what changes would you make to management, players, facilities, etc.?

knicks and raptors. money makers!!

Flash3
02-14-2011, 10:32 AM

really ? you would lose alot of money from the move then you have to risk basketball in vegas which could not work.... call me when your bankrupt

Flash3
02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
i guess you guys are more into fantasy then money....

millerandco
02-14-2011, 10:44 AM
clippers

arkanian215
02-14-2011, 10:57 AM
i actually did research and i would choose the raptors... only team below .500 who is in the top ten in franchise valuations...

dont care if you win just get me that money :D

What are the chances their value increases rapidly?

I chose Nets because they're my team and because their value will increase dramatically when they get their new stadium (not that I would sell the team after the move). The Nets franchise value increased the second most from last year according to Forbes' estimates. If anything, you're going to lose money on your investment, especially if/when Yao leaves.

Flash3
02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
What are the chances their value increases rapidly?

I chose Nets because they're my team and because their value will increase dramatically when they get their new stadium (not that I would sell the team after the move). The Nets franchise value increased the second most from last year according to Forbes' estimates. If anything, you're going to lose money on your investment, especially if/when Yao leaves.

yea nets are definitely atop my list their move to brooklyn might be huge,

nets
raptors
rockets

the_jon
02-14-2011, 07:07 PM
i guess you guys are more into fantasy then money....
That's because this is a board of basketball fans not greedy owners lol.

Trace
02-14-2011, 07:24 PM

LOL you dumb?

He's an awesome coach. Made a legendary run in the olympics with only one NBA player in Steve Nash and has developed some of our players effectively.

In addition, there's a reason he got picked over most of the coaches/assistants in the NBA for Team USA.
:facepalm:

SteveNash
02-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Clippers are the only answer.

Young and Stupid
02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Come on guys, it's the Nets and it's not even close.

Yes the Clippers have a future top-10 player in Blake Griffin, but they also have to share an arena with the Lakers who they'll never be able to overtake. Now, it would be fair to counter with yeah and the Nets will never be able to overtake the Knicks. It's a fair claim, and it's probably true, but they will be playing in a different location and will be attempting to target a different group of fans.

The Nets will soon have the NBA's most expensive and luxurious arena and will be in a location that every NBA player would love to play in. Brooklyn hasn't had a real team since the Dodgers and they're extremely passionate about their borough. You have numerous draft picks to help bolster an already decent roster and you can use the cap-space (which would be even larger if you could find a way to move Outlaw) and pick up a couple stars.

I don't think this question is even debatable if it's about getting the most return out of your investment.

The Flash
02-14-2011, 07:52 PM
I'd buy the Knicks...They're a 500 team right now

kArSoN RyDaH
02-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Euros aren't as good as NBA players. #FACT

Kobes a Killer
02-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Knicks, if they are 500 right now I dunno I havent checked in a while, if not, for sure the Clippers for obvious reasons

Kobes a Killer
02-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Euros aren't as good as NBA players. #FACT

If you're talking about euros who play in the NBA then you're smoking something, if you're talking about euros who can't make it in the NBA then you're answer is quite obvious

Rego247
02-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Raps.

great valuation, great market, die hard fans. just need to build a winning culture.

Flash3
02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
That's because this is a board of basketball fans not greedy owners lol.

well im a basketball fan and if i was thinking of buying a team i would want the one which would make me the most money.

plus i can send good player to the HEAT :D

hgtiger32
02-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Cavs :D

I actually just turned them around in NBA 2k11, we got beat up a little this year, but I got the 2nd pick in the draft and the 6th from a trade. Then in 2012 we made the playoffs as a 5 seed haha.

PG
Gilbert Arenas
Mardy Collins
Quincy Douby

SG
Kyrie Irving
Randy Foye
Allan Ray

SF
Andre Iguodala
Derrick Byars
Adam Morrison

PF
Jarred Sullinger
Tyler Hansbrough
Sean May

C
Andrew Bynum
Marreese Speights
Lavoy Allen

I could totally do this if I was a GM, call me up Gilbert. I'll beat LeBron to a championship with my magic moves, book it.

you have 1,000 posts so i can't be a jerk and bash you like you are a new poster.

couple questions:

1) How did you get Gilbert Arenas
2) How did you get the #6 pick?
3) Who was the #1 pick so that you could get Sullinger and Irving
4) How did you get Sullinger or Irving @ #6?
5) How did you get A.I.?
6) How did you get Bynum?
7) Why is Irving at the 2 instead of Gilbert?

your bench is awful by the way

Ware_Spencer
02-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Clippers or Pacers

If I was the Clippers I would change the team name and jersey's. Brand the new style with Griffin like crazy. Everyone knows the Clippers as a team that sucks. They need to re brand themselves.

Trade Baron Davis for an expiring deal. Don't trade Kaman yet. When he is healthy he has value. Trade Kaman this summer if he plays well this summer. don't dump him for nothing.

Get a coach that runs the flex offense and the pick and roll to benefit Griffin. How the Jazz did with Malone, Boozer. Get a TRUE point guard. Not a score first. A true floor leader and pass first point guard that will make Griffin better than he already is. He is is doing it by himself now. A real point guard could make him elite.

Eric Bledsoe is not the point guard they should set there future on though. He is a good player but not a true point guard. He could eventually but if I was them I would only worry about signing or trading for a True Center who clogs the lane on defense and a true point guard.

Jordan has potential but I don't see him as a true center. He would be a great rotation back up big man though.