PDA

View Full Version : An All-Era All-Star Game

mrblisterdundee
02-12-2011, 10:22 PM
These funny rumors about a Michael Jordan comeback have me wondering about a new feature for all-star weekend event. The main argument I hear against old players coming back is minutes per game. The arguments state that their fundamentals (not athleticism) are still there, but that they can't handle extended action. What if on all-star weekend, though, some old NBA stars from a certain era played a game?
Between the 1981 and 1984 drafts, there were an inordinate amount of great players drafted, with relative dry spells before and after that four-year period. Take players from that era who could still lace up for a half-hour game, divide them into relatively equal teams based on talent, and let them go at it. It wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as the young guys, but I think it would be interesting, to say the least. What do you think?

List of potential players:

PG - Isiah Thomas, Doc Rivers, John Stockton, Terry Porter
SG - Dale Ellis, Clyde Drexler, Michael Jordan, Joe Dumars
SF - Danny Ainge, James Worthy, Dominique Wilkens, Chris Mullin, Detlef Schrempf
PF - Buck Williams, Larry Nance, Charles Barkley, Kevin Willis, Xavier McDaniel, Charles Oakley, Karl Malone, A.C. Green
C - Ralph Sampson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Otis Thorpe, Patrick Ewing

Hellcrooner
02-12-2011, 10:24 PM
ANy reason to put the date at 81?

I bet you Magic can play as much as barkley right now...

mrblisterdundee
02-12-2011, 10:31 PM
ANy reason to put the date at 81?

I bet you Magic can play as much as barkley right now...

We could include the Magic Johnson.

Vincent33
02-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Why is Ainge at the 3 spot? He was a guard. You could switch Ainge and Ellis though.

Hellcrooner
02-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Why is Ainge at the 3 spot? He was a guard.

He used to be a multi back up and play in the three positions Pg, sg and Sf.

thekmp211
02-13-2011, 04:03 AM
im sure some could pull it off, but i see two problems. one, obviously conditioning ect. two, and more importantly, i dont think those guys could play each other in a casual game. it'd get competitive and next thing you know, someone throws a hip.