PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Every Superstar (or great scorer) play Great in MSG?

Knickerbockers
02-11-2011, 11:10 PM
For all of those fools who continually ask: Why is madison square garden considered the mecca of basketball when the knicks haven't done anything in the past decade?

The answer is: All-star players feel compelled to come to this arena with their a-game. There is a reason why every single player/analyst/coach says that the garden has a special feel to it.

When the knicks play a competitor, whether they are 40-10 or 10-40, the opposition is going to play their *** off because they are in new york city.

In conclusion, madison square garden is the mecca of basketball because while your favorite basketball player is getting his rocks off scoring in our building, he's falling asleep while scoring in yours.

NYKnickFanatic
02-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Great thread...:rolleyes:

Knickerbockers
02-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Believe me, i know everyone's going to say,

duhhh is this thread worthy, but i don't really give a *****.

They should really think about why their city's playoff team doesn't get a quarter of the attention our lottery pick team has gotten over the years.

Despite being a losing team for the past decade, we are still financially the #1 team in the nba.

Yes, the dynasty lakers are financially weaker than my losing knicks.

Now, can you imagine if we were actually a top 3 team in the east, (which will happen within the next 3 years, i put my left nut on it), we will be on our own level.

kjoke
02-11-2011, 11:21 PM
does anyone know why it is called the 'mecca'

am i the only one that finds that meanly ironic?

sintaks12
02-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Ugh.

Storch
02-11-2011, 11:25 PM
I would really like to get the real story as to why the MSG is the mecca. I still don't understand. Anyone know an article online somewhere? :up:

bklynny67
02-11-2011, 11:26 PM
you're embarrassing fellow Knick fans with this thread. give it a rest.

JNA17
02-11-2011, 11:26 PM
We've been recalled many times how players like MJ, Lebron, Kobe, even Wilt with his 100 points in MSG. Why is it like this in New York? I'm bias with my reasoning because i love NY and think it's the best city in the world so i thought i would hear more objective or better reasoning then mine.

It's not even just those guys i mentioned either, it seems pretty much a majority of players in the league seem to be a lot more confident and perform better in MSG which just begs the question...why?

Spurred1
02-11-2011, 11:29 PM
This is very similar to the Knicks-Mecca thread.

bholly
02-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Two MSG threads in less than 20 minutes?

heatking
02-11-2011, 11:35 PM
For all of those fools who continually ask: Why is madison square garden considered the mecca of basketball when the knicks haven't done anything in the past decade?

The answer is: All-star players feel compelled to come to this arena with their a-game. There is a reason why every single player/analyst/coach says that the garden has a special feel to it.

When the knicks play a competitor, whether they are 40-10 or 10-40, the opposition is going to play their *** off because they are in new york city.

In conclusion, madison square garden is the mecca of basketball because while your favorite basketball player is getting his rocks off scoring in our building, he's falling asleep while scoring in yours.

LMAO post of the year.

rhino17
02-11-2011, 11:36 PM
MSG is a dump

Crackadalic
02-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I would really like to get the real story as to why the MSG is the mecca. I still don't understand. Anyone know an article online somewhere? :up:

This thread is so not needed.

Its not just basketball. From boxing wresting the president coming in to town Marilyn Monroe singing happy bday to the prez the pope countless things to write.

Just look it up on google n call it a day
/thread

Knickerbockers
02-11-2011, 11:38 PM
you're embarrassing fellow Knick fans with this thread. give it a rest.

you sir, are a vagina. Put your city on your back and don't worry about what others say. Don't get embarrased so easily. I'm sure you have more to be embarrassed about in your life than a post on an internet blog.

zB_#85
02-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Yes it's the mecca of B-Ball, but only because that's what they call it.

The real mecca should be the Boston Garden. I guarantee you if you polled all players they would say that the atmosphere there is far better.

BTW I'm a Lakers fan saying this so no bias.

....and here is the Knick's fans que... in 3, 2, 1

goose14741
02-11-2011, 11:39 PM
the OP is right, New York is basketball, MSG is New York

210Don
02-11-2011, 11:40 PM
lol.

whitemamba33
02-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Am I REALLY the first one to go THIS way with the thread?

Here we go:

I think it's because they suck. It was easy to score on them before because they were terrible, and it's easy to score on them now because they don't play defense. Knicks fans are like the wimpy kid in the playground who gets his faced pounded in and then yells "I hurt your hand with my face" afterwards.

You don't get destroyed because you are something special. You don't get destroyed because you are any kind of "mecca of basketball". You get destroyed because there is nothing that you can do about it. It's as simple as that.

PhillyFaninLA
Its an old term from years ago when MSG hosted college basketball regular and tournament ball. The nickname Mecca was born from iconic college basketball and later NBA.

This is fact not speculation or my opinion.

hotpotato1092
It's the Mecca of BASKETBALL, not the Mecca of the NBA. When you factor in the history of St. Johns basketball, the big east conference tournaments, the NIT tournament (which used to be bigger than the NCAA tournament), the neutral site college games, the high school games AND the Knicks, it truly is the mecca.

Hoopsadvocate
02-11-2011, 11:45 PM
OR (and this is just a crazy idea) the reason they have a great game is because the knicks dont play any damn defense. Its like hard not to have a good game there.

Knickerbockers
02-11-2011, 11:46 PM

The real mecca should be the Boston Garden. I guarantee you if you polled all players they would say that the atmosphere there is far better.

I definitely respect your post. I agree that Boston has a great fan base. I hate boston but I respect their fans. Same deal with Golden state, Oklahoma city, chicago, lakers, portland, and man even Cleveland.

It's unfortunate that great teams like the spurs, hawks, hornets, etc., have absolutely no fan base despite the success of their teams.

PhillyFaninLA
02-11-2011, 11:47 PM
It's the Mecca of BASKETBALL, not the Mecca of the NBA. When you factor in the history of St. Johns basketball, the big east conference tournaments, the NIT tournament (which used to be bigger than the NCAA tournament), the neutral site college games, the high school games AND the Knicks, it truly is the mecca.

Exactly. It was a phrase coined years ago similar to Green Bay (not Dallas because they took the phrase and Green Bay was giving the nickname) being called America's Team.

What I'm quoting above is exactly why and how it got the nickname.

Slimsim
02-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I agree with everyone.

Public Enemy #1
02-11-2011, 11:50 PM
lol Don't know about every player getting their rocks off in MSG. :laugh: Yeah, LBJ/Kobe do it big when they come to town, but I'm not so sure its about atmosphere and they feel compelled to play their best games individually. To some extent, it seems like Kobe/LBJ play so well at MSG because they are trying to compete or get on some level of what MJ had with the Knicks in his day. As for the other ****, who cares. Knicks fans are one of the most loyal fanbases in the league, but I don't think they are #1. Doesn't matter though, NYC is a big city and commands a lot of income/wealth which explains why the Knicks are considered the most valuable/profitable organization in the league.

knightstemplar
02-11-2011, 11:51 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: TD Tea Bag Garden

whitemamba33
02-11-2011, 11:54 PM
If New York wins a championship in the next ten years, i'll put "New York is the mecca of basketball" as the only phrase in my sig for 10 years.

JordansBulls
02-11-2011, 11:59 PM

Check out something MJ said 13 years ago regarding this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWLMir7yyCk -> 5:15-5:45 mark

210Don
02-12-2011, 12:02 AM
50 second after jordan...

Knickerbockers
02-12-2011, 12:07 AM
If New York wins a championship in the next ten years, i'll put "New York is the mecca of basketball" as the only phrase in my sig for 10 years.

Okay, deal because your current sig sucks. You better hope we win for the sanctity of your profile.

Knickerbockers
02-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Check out something MJ said 13 years ago regarding this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWLMir7yyCk -> 5:15-5:45 mark

Wow, great find. I've never seen this clip. Thanks!

SMILExHIGHxCITY
02-12-2011, 12:12 AM
You Knicks fans are silly. Walsh & company are nt going to get Melo WHAT SO EVER, so get over it you bums. New York is still salty from not getting Le*****, I mean LeBron James after 2 years of speculating that he'll play in that dump you Knicks fans call Mecca. So while the Knicks front office sit & waste time trying to create another "Big 3" type squad, they will miss out signing QUALITY players in next years free angency. On the other hand what the media FAIL to state is that Carmelo doesn't have to sign the contract nor opt out after this season. No one is stating that possibility. No one is stating that Melo isn't a big enough name to attract some big name free agents. Nuggets are ONE big man away to cause havoc in the West since San Antonio & LA are getting "old". How about Dwight Howad coming to Denver, since he can't get past Boston. To many hurdles for Melo in the East than in the West. And the reason I say that is because Knicks head coach isnt so dedicated to being defensive. I know Nuggets don't play D either but they play more than the Knicks do LoL. Let's say Melo does get traded or walks next season, does that make the Knicks the team to beat?? I think as long as Boston stay intact & continue to do that for the next 2-3 tops then I say it wasn't worth getting Melo who will be in his 30s getting treated like Iverson LoL

championships
02-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Knick fans have to be proud of something. I don't know if taking pride in other teams superstars lighting you up in your own building is the way to go though.

Knickerbockers
02-12-2011, 12:25 AM
You Knicks fans are silly. Walsh & company are nt going to get Melo WHAT SO EVER, so get over it you bums. New York is still salty from not getting Le*****, I mean LeBron James after 2 years of speculating that he'll play in that dump you Knicks fans call Mecca. So while the Knicks front office sit & waste time trying to create another "Big 3" type squad, they will miss out signing QUALITY players in next years free angency. On the other hand what the media FAIL to state is that Carmelo doesn't have to sign the contract nor opt out after this season. No one is stating that possibility. No one is stating that Melo isn't a big enough name to attract some big name free agents. Nuggets are ONE big man away to cause havoc in the West since San Antonio & LA are getting "old". How about Dwight Howad coming to Denver, since he can't get past Boston. To many hurdles for Melo in the East than in the West. And the reason I say that is because Knicks head coach isnt so dedicated to being defensive. I know Nuggets don't play D either but they play more than the Knicks do LoL. Let's say Melo does get traded or walks next season, does that make the Knicks the team to beat?? I think as long as Boston stay intact & continue to do that for the next 2-3 tops then I say it wasn't worth getting Melo who will be in his 30s getting treated like Iverson LoL

DENVER?

MELO WANTS OUT OF DENVER

NENE WANTS OUT OF DENVER

DAMN, THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS TO STAY IS BILLUPS.

WHO ON THE KNICKS WANTS TO LEAVE? (besides those who dont play- i.e. randolph)

The best part of being a knick fan right now is that it really doesn't matter if we can get melo or not. We have financial flexibility, we have NYC, and we have a great team that is ready to take that next step. Boston is a great team but you have to agree that they are getting old and if players like Kobe are losing a step how long can they stay at that level? They don't have the money to maintain their roster (refer to Kendrick Perkins). Besides Miami, Chicago (who we've beaten every time this season if im not wrong) and Orlando (who is nothing w/o D. Howard who will probably leave upon becoming a FA), there is no one else in the East.

The only thing knick fans have to worry about is keeping D Walsh and admittedly getting a new head coach because I don't have faith in Dantoni. Unfortunately we have know remedies for Dolan but I've been saving all of my money so that one day I can buy the Knicks. Just $ 650 million short.

Knickerbockers
02-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Knick fans have to be proud of something. I don't know if taking pride in other teams superstars lighting you up in your own building is the way to go though.

It's not pride, its frustration. If we were minnesota, the opposition would be sleeping when coming to my city.

championships
02-12-2011, 12:30 AM
DENVER?

MELO WANTS OUT OF DENVER

NENE WANTS OUT OF DENVER

DAMN, THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS TO STAY IS BILLUPS.

WHO ON THE KNICKS WANTS TO LEAVE? (besides those who dont play- i.e. randolph)

The best part of being a knick fan right now is that it really doesn't matter if we can get melo or not. We have financial flexibility, we have NYC, and we have a great team that is ready to take that next step. Boston is a great team but you have to agree that they are getting old and if players like Kobe are losing a step how long can they stay at that level? They don't have the money to maintain their roster (refer to Kendrick Perkins). Besides Miami, Chicago (who we've beaten every time this season if im not wrong) and Orlando (who is nothing w/o D. Howard who will probably leave upon becoming a FA), there is no one else in the East.

The only thing knick fans have to worry about is keeping D Walsh and admittedly getting a new head coach because I don't have faith in Dantoni. Unfortunately we have know remedies for Dolan but I've been saving all of my money so that one day I can buy the Knicks. Just $ 650 million short.

Wait WHAT!!! Am I reading that wrong. When did Kobe get traded to Boston? Why didn't anyone tell me about this :mad: :D

Frrrrank!!!
02-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Call me a fool, but I've never understood the whole Mecca thing.

Knickerbockers
02-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Wait WHAT!!! Am I reading that wrong. When did Kobe get traded to Boston? Why didn't anyone tell me about this :mad: :D

Reading Comprehension IS a difficult part of standardized testing. Not to worry, soft skills are valuable also.

championships
02-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Reading Comprehension IS a difficult part of standardized testing. Not to worry, soft skills are valuable also.

Same can be said about typing skills.

rickshaw
02-12-2011, 12:39 AM
1. Cause they suck on defense.

2. Spike Lee gets them pissed off so they want to shove it in his face.

championships
02-12-2011, 12:39 AM
I'm just giving you a couple Rib shots.. Geez who lite the fuse on your tampon.

Frrrrank!!!
02-12-2011, 12:42 AM
1. Cause they suck on defense.

2. Spike Lee gets them pissed off so they want to shove it in his face.

:laugh2:

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-12-2011, 12:54 AM
HAHA gotta love them funny @$$ knicks fans..hahahahaha

SMILExHIGHxCITY
02-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Show me where Melo has said he wants out of Denver. I live in Denver and not one word out of Melos mouth that he wants out. So don't give me that LoL. The fans & media I think are reading into what Melo had said in regards to playing in NYC a little too much. He answered a question straight forward. Now as for NeNe he has stated he wants to stay also & wants to retire in Denver. I don't mind NeNe packing hes stuff and going either, rather him than Melo.

abe_froman
02-12-2011, 12:59 AM
well according to many knick fans whom i have heard talk on this subject,its because they all want to be knicks and showing off/giving fans a preview of they day they'll join

Knickerbockers
02-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Show me where Melo has said he wants out of Denver. I live in Denver and not one word out of Melos mouth that he wants out. So don't give me that LoL. The fans & media I think are reading into what Melo had said in regards to playing in NYC a little too much. He answered a question straight forward. Now as for NeNe he has stated he wants to stay also & wants to retire in Denver. I don't mind NeNe packing hes stuff and going either, rather him than Melo.

My friend, if Melo hasn't signed a $65 million contract that has been on the table for ~1+ year...........he isn't staying.

Don't look at his words or silence, look at his actions.

5ass
02-12-2011, 01:14 AM
because knicks defense sucks lol

MELO 15
02-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Its because new york was the foundation of basketball, NY put basketball on the Map, So in essence its not MSG that is the Mecca of basketball its that MSG is in the home of the Mecca of basketball, New York. So every one that comes here want to leave a piece of history there, whether its in Rucka park or in the Garden.:cool:

IBleedPurple
02-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Because the Knicks play there

/thread

HoopsDrive
02-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Why Does Every Superstar (or great scorer) play Great in MSG?

It's easy to play against the Knicks.. :rolleyes:

blastmasta26
02-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Bad defense argument works now, but not for the past.

Oldmantrash
02-12-2011, 02:08 AM
MSG is the Mecca of sports.

There is no place like it,I got to walk on the court earlier this season,and I got chills doing it.

I am not a knick fan,I root against them being a huge Net fan,but there is no place like MSG,no place.

I think NBA players feel that too.

I did grow up in brooklyn,and have been there hundreds of times.

Knickerbockers
02-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Why Does Every Superstar (or great scorer) play Great in MSG?

It's easy to play against the Knicks.. :rolleyes:

This thread was re-named by some assclown moderator. My original title was "MSG=mecca of basketball".

John Walls Era
02-12-2011, 02:26 AM
I think players do bring their A game to the garden. But shouldn't it also help the home team out?

arkanian215
02-12-2011, 02:29 AM
What's the other common denominator here?

SMILExHIGHxCITY
02-12-2011, 03:01 AM
My friend, if Melo hasn't signed a $65 million contract that has been on the table for ~1+ year...........he isn't staying.

Don't look at his words or silence, look at his actions.

I see his actions scoring 27 50 & 42 the last 3 games LoL Also he has been nothing but class about the whole situation with the front office, media & teammates. As for this 3 year $65 EXTENSION PLAYER OPTION that you continue to dodge. He can play out his contract & resign with Nuggets or somewhere else after 2012. I'm not saying there isn't a chance that he might not do all that but everyone is jumping the gun with Melo diffenitely leaving Denver to team up with the no Defense playing team ran by D'antoni, broke down MSG so called Mecca of sports needs to check that bump on his head, I think he fell LoL the Knicks better grab Nash while the Suns are looking to dump him soon. They can give up Randolph, Fields & a pick for Nash & Hill. Come on buddy I'm make deal witchu ma frain (in my New York cab voice)

THE MTL
02-12-2011, 03:23 AM

You also forgot about Rucker Park & Harlem Globetrotters.

Sadds The Gr8
02-12-2011, 03:27 AM

LOL...in before close

Avenged
02-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Because of the Knicks defense? :shrug:

I don't know.

Sixerlover
02-12-2011, 03:42 AM
MSG is the Mecca of sports.

There is no place like it,I got to walk on the court earlier this season,and I got chills doing it.

I am not a knick fan,I root against them being a huge Net fan,but there is no place like MSG,no place.

I think NBA players feel that too.

I did grow up in brooklyn,and have been there hundreds of times.

When I was on the court at MSG looking out at the seating arrangement is something that's totally unique to the stadium, but other than that it was like any other place.

MSG has always been overrated in my opinion though. The best memories are Jordan, Miller, Bryant and LeBron in the last 20 years.

Cano24
02-12-2011, 03:52 AM
is it really that hard of a question?....Great scorers score lots of points against ****** Defense

Evolution23
02-12-2011, 08:08 AM
just close this before the trolls run in

jzero
02-12-2011, 08:49 AM

They should really think about why their city's playoff team doesn't get a quarter of the attention our lottery pick team has gotten over the years.

Despite being a losing team for the past decade, we are still financially the #1 team in the nba.

Now, can you imagine if we were actually a top 3 team in the east, (which will happen within the next 3 years, i put my left nut on it), we will be on our own level.

mmm knick's fans are really delusional of their level of play
with the bulls, the heat, the hawks and the bucks slowly on the rise i dont think an addition of melo will be enough to push the knicks into the level of truly "elite"
look at the truly elite teams today...they are defensively minded
even the offensively minded mavs are playing on a higher level due to the presence of Chandler
until you get some1 like dwight howard (whom you may not be ale to afford) i dont see you ever becoming elite

jzero
02-12-2011, 08:52 AM
I see his actions scoring 27 50 & 42 the last 3 games LoL Also he has been nothing but class about the whole situation with the front office, media & teammates. As for this 3 year $65 EXTENSION PLAYER OPTION that you continue to dodge. He can play out his contract & resign with Nuggets or somewhere else after 2012. I'm not saying there isn't a chance that he might not do all that but everyone is jumping the gun with Melo diffenitely leaving Denver to team up with the no Defense playing team ran by D'antoni, broke down MSG so called Mecca of sports needs to check that bump on his head, I think he fell LoL the Knicks better grab Nash while the Suns are looking to dump him soon. They can give up Randolph, Fields & a pick for Nash & Hill. Come on buddy I'm make deal witchu ma frain (in my New York cab voice)

if melo felt that he could win in denver he'd sign the extension now to avoid further distractions
i cant wait for when melo leaves denver and leaves it in a hole just like lbj did with cleveland
your fault for not putting a championship team around him :)

IBleedPurple
02-12-2011, 10:39 AM
if melo felt that he could win in denver he'd sign the extension now to avoid further distractions
i cant wait for when melo leaves denver and leaves it in a hole just like lbj did with cleveland

Yeah it's his fault lol. The Nuggets may not have a championship team, but they have trumped the Knicks by a long shot for many years

PhillyFaninLA
02-12-2011, 10:57 AM
You also forgot about Rucker Park & Harlem Globetrotters.

No he didn't. Those are important and essential to the legacy of NY basketball but MSG being called the Mecca of Basketball is what he was referring to and nothing more or less. That post defines the history that lead to the phrase.

Cubs Win
02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Superstars play great there because they are playing against the Knicks! It's not like they are going in there and facing an elite team, or even one that plays defense.

Flash3
02-12-2011, 01:03 PM
this thread was made so the OP can brag about how cool his city/team/stadium is.

AlcaTrakz
02-12-2011, 01:26 PM
This is why it's pointless to argue on message boards about sports that are much older than 99% of the people posting about them. No, actually it's from the complete lack of knowledge of the game itself by said 99%.

You all realize the Knicks have been playing basketball since WAYYYYY BEFORE Allan houston...who most of you probably don't even know at this point.

You all realize the Garden/NYC/Rucker/West 4th/etc. are all located in NYC.

You all realize that NYC was WHERE you proved yourself in the summer, even as a professional.

You all realize there were NIT tourneys, a TON of college basketball games, etc etc played at THE GARDEN.

You all MUST realize that NYC has had the most intelligent, straight forward, no nonsense FANS/REPORTERS/COMMUNITY for the last 60 years or so...

When you have that type of history, and fans with that type of knowledge of the game and passion for it, it doesn't just GO AWAY because ownership has sunk the ship!

The fan's are still as smart as 30 years ago, the city is still full of old timers that have been watching/playing/coaching basketball for 98.5% of their life...

So when you step on stage at MSG, you are still entering "The Mecca". The building and stage have not changed, the team playing defense on the other end has. The city streets still abide by the knock down drag out no layup rules of Pat Riley, even if the team in white Jerseys plays as physicall as the knick city dancers. The harshest of critics and reporters are still lurking in the press boxes and front row.

It's called the Mecca because the heart can never be taken out of it... The second Knicks basketball is BACK, MSG will be a nuthouse once again.

Do yourself a favor and go checkout NBA attendance percentages from 2001-present day... Let me know how far the knicks fanbase allowed that team to fall through literally the WORST 10 year stretch in franchise history.... NEVER below 10.... EVEN FIRST TWICE!!!!!

That my friend, is why it is the Mecca.... Because of 8 million strong in the city, not just the 5 guys in jerseys.

MurderousPress
02-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Not to take anything away from MSG, players do play great there. But you guys should check out how many players have career highs (especially players you've never heard of) against the Raptors....it's an ongoing joke between me and my friends.

AlcaTrakz
02-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Superstars play great there because they are playing against the Knicks! It's not like they are going in there and facing an elite team, or even one that plays defense.

Like I said. Because they play "the knicks"....

Jordan averaged 32 a game in the garden...against Ewing, Oakley, Starks, Mason, etc etc... Those knicks were elite NBA status for a solid few years, yet the same results.

But I'm assuming that cubswin is 14.

Frezhnitz
02-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Because the knicks are horrible and the stars can score sanywhere on the court cause they have no defense. Plus whos going to entertain the knick fans? Not the Knicks. lol

Cubs Win
02-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Like I said. Because they play "the knicks"....

Jordan averaged 32 a game in the garden...against Ewing, Oakley, Starks, Mason, etc etc... Those knicks were elite NBA status for a solid few years, yet the same results.

But I'm assuming that cubswin is 14.

Definitely older than that. Also Jordan is the greatest player of all time. He averaged over 30 a game for his career. It's not unreasonable that that could be 2 points higher against one team. Using Jordan to prove a point that people used to score a lot against the Knicks in the garden is a horrible example. Of course he scored a lot! :facepalm:

SMILExHIGHxCITY
02-12-2011, 01:43 PM

I'm sorry your Knicks have been sorry worthless crap for the past hmmm 12 years. Now the Knicks want something that the Nuggets have. The front office of the Nuggets are willing to do business with the Knicks but it gonna cost them. Knicks wanna give crap for Melo which is crazy IMO. So supposedly Melo wants to leave, what does that say about the team he wants to go play for aren't willing to trade for him?? Knicks are willing to get him as a free agent, which is going to backfire.

ManningToTyree
02-12-2011, 01:45 PM
OP your a fool. you won't last long here with the way you carry yourself. This is a stupid thread. The Mecca is a nickname not really debatable. You are making Knicks fans look bad. It has nothing to do with representing the city by bragging about other stars coming into our building and kickin our ***. this thread makes me wish we had a double facepalm smiley but i will settle :facepalm::facepalm:

magichatnumber9
02-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I would really like to get the real story as to why the MSG is the mecca. I still don't understand. Anyone know an article online somewhere? :up:MSG is not the Mecca. People don't understand what the word actually implies. It is the home and origin. Springfield MA is the Mecca of Basketball.

AlcaTrakz
02-12-2011, 01:51 PM
40 point + games for visitors @ LA Clippers from 86 seaon until now - 38

40 point + games for visitors @ MSG from 86 season until now - 34

40 point + games for visitors @ Toronto from 95 seaon until now - 12

40 point + games for visitors @ Denver from 86 seaon until now - 23

40 point + games for visitors @ Atlanta from 86 seaon until now - 24

Shall I continue? I would think all of those teams would be HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the knicks since the knicks had a solid 15 years (above .500) in that span, with teams like denver and atlanta having about the same success over that span, and the clippers ONLY HAVING 2 WINNING SEASONS in the same span...

shall I continue?

RZZZA
02-12-2011, 01:53 PM
why the hell do people call a place the mecca of anything, do people go to MSG to pray to a magic stone or something?

the religious reference is not real apropos when we're talking about basketball

AlcaTrakz
02-12-2011, 01:54 PM
THE WIZARDS have only given up ONE 50 point scorer in that span.... MSG, SIX!

AND NO ONE, not event the 12 year olds who have witnessed the terrible side of the knicks, can say the knicks and wiz are anywhere on the same talent level for the duration of the last 25 years.

So explain how the knicks give up SIX 50 point performances, and the wiz/bullets gave up ONE....

AlcaTrakz
02-12-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/mecca_madison_square_garden/

RZZZA
02-12-2011, 01:59 PM
I've heard the word mecca applied to other things as well, like people say America is the mecca of professional boxing. I always thought that was a strange way to phrase it...

religion and sports,.... I just don't think its a very good analogy

sixer04fan
02-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Sorry bud, it has less to do with the building and more to do with the Knicks playing horrible defense.

Cubs Win
02-12-2011, 02:34 PM
40 point + games for visitors @ LA Clippers from 86 seaon until now - 38

40 point + games for visitors @ MSG from 86 season until now - 34

40 point + games for visitors @ Toronto from 95 seaon until now - 12

40 point + games for visitors @ Denver from 86 seaon until now - 23

40 point + games for visitors @ Atlanta from 86 seaon until now - 24

Shall I continue? I would think all of those teams would be HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the knicks since the knicks had a solid 15 years (above .500) in that span, with teams like denver and atlanta having about the same success over that span, and the clippers ONLY HAVING 2 WINNING SEASONS in the same span...

shall I continue?

THE WIZARDS have only given up ONE 50 point scorer in that span.... MSG, SIX!

AND NO ONE, not event the 12 year olds who have witnessed the terrible side of the knicks, can say the knicks and wiz are anywhere on the same talent level for the duration of the last 25 years.

So explain how the knicks give up SIX 50 point performances, and the wiz/bullets gave up ONE....

All this tells me is that the Knicks let teams go off on them in their house more often than other teams do. You can't say just because people score a lot against the Knicks, it's because of them playing in MSG.

king4day
02-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I'd think that every great star plays really good at the garden simply because the Knicks have been bad for the better part of the last decade.

ManRam
02-12-2011, 02:39 PM
It is the Mecca, and it is the biggest city in the USA...

It's also the Knicks...a team that has sucked for a very long time and hasn't know what the word "defense" means for just as long.

Tony_Starks
02-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Going to the garden is like taking out a promiscuous cheerleader........

mrblisterdundee
02-12-2011, 03:20 PM
It's not Madison Square Garden; it's the Knicks' crappy defense. You might as well ask why players do so well in Air Canada Centre.

SMILExHIGHxCITY
02-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Knicks will never win another championship as long as I'm alive LoL. If they want to win championships they better build a new sports arena in manhattan. Because MSG is on the brink of colasping on fans or crumble into dust since it's so old.

shizzle09
02-12-2011, 04:00 PM
or is it simply because the Knicks havent played defense in the last 10 years???

Kashmir13579
02-12-2011, 04:04 PM

no article needed.

NYC is the "Mecca of basketball". MSG is the "worlds most famous arena"

Kashmir13579
02-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Better question, why do scrubs play so great against the Knicks? obviously the superstars are going to.

i'm talking 'bout Randy Foye, Reggie Evens, every player on the Clippers, etc. having monster games against the Knicks. :facepalm:

its paper bag time.

RZZZA
02-12-2011, 04:09 PM
no article needed.

NYC is the "Mecca of basketball". MSG is the "worlds most famous arena"

I think the world's most famous arena is the Colosseum in Rome :D

Kashmir13579
02-12-2011, 04:31 PM
I think the world's most famous arena is the Colosseum in Rome :D

your entitled to your opinion, even if it simply isn't true.

Edit: i've been to both btw

RZZZA
02-12-2011, 04:36 PM
how could it not be true, the Colosseum has been famous for almost 2,000 years wile the garden has been famous...what...50 years?

sunsfan88
02-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Because the Knicks cant play defense.

Its so easy to score, that superstar players wanna fill up their stat sheet before going and playin a good defensive team.

magichatnumber9
02-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Knicks really don't have anything to do with the "so called Mecca thing" It's boxing and COLLEGE HOOPS. Still Mecca is a misplaced term for it.

PurpleJesus
02-12-2011, 05:07 PM
nice factual evidence by the OP...I always love the..."we are awesome because I said so argument"

Tony_Starks
02-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Whenever I hear players say "its always great to play at the mecca of basketball" I wonder to they even know what the word means? It just seems like the standard thing to say.....

Knickerbockers
02-12-2011, 07:36 PM
nice factual evidence by the OP...I always love the..."we are awesome because I said so argument"

Check the dollar figures: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/32/basketball-valuations-11_rank.html

Check the attendance: http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance (and you can go back a couple of years and see our attendance stays consistent)

"Men lie, women lie, numbers don't."

And again, my original thread was titled MSG=mecca of basketball. A mod changed it to a conclusory title leaving it open for obvious answers (i.e. bad defense)

Bornknick73
02-12-2011, 07:43 PM
how could it not be true, the Colosseum has been famous for almost 2,000 years wile the garden has been famous...what...50 years?

The original Madison Square Garden opened in the early 1900's and has gone through a few incarnations over the last 100 years.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Maybe they have larger rims:shrug:

Bornknick73
02-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Whenever I hear players say "its always great to play at the mecca of basketball" I wonder to they even know what the word means? It just seems like the standard thing to say.....

What people dont understand is NYC , IS the media capitol of the world. Instead of 2-3 reporters at your locker you have 60 mics inyour face from all over the world.

When you play at the Garden the World is watching. Why do you think everyone knows the Knicks are bad. Because we are one of the most publicized teams in the history of the game due to where we live. When the Knicks are good everyone Knows when we suck everyone Knows.

When Kobe drops 60 in Utah the Country will know about it.

When he drops 60 at MSG the World knows about it the next day, people in Europe know about it, people in China know about it.

Games at the Garden are like competing in the Coliseum of Ancient Rome, everyone was watching and Legends were written about the bravest performers. Its the same thing at MSG.

Jordan drops 55 at Conseco Fieldhouse its not a big deal. He does it at the Garden and it becomes Legend. Kobe and Jordan have both understood this and this is why some players have their best games there. Danny Granger is a household name if he plays at the Garden. 1 Title at the Garden is worth a Chicago Three Peat. It just doesnt get any bigger.

You play the best on the Biggest Stage and seeing as the Finals are only once a year the Garden is that stage and they knew this and they used it to build their Legends.

If the Yankees were from Vermont and they have 27 titles does anyone care? 27 world titles and New York on the fron of your Jersey makes Legends.

Im sorry but its true.

PhillyFaninLA
02-12-2011, 08:07 PM

uprightciti
02-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Mecca

abe_froman
02-12-2011, 08:14 PM
What people dont understand is NYC , IS the media capitol of the world. Instead of 2-3 reporters at your locker you have 60 mics inyour face from all over the world.

When you play at the Garden the World is watching. Why do you think everyone knows the Knicks are bad. Because we are one of the most publicized teams in the history of the game due to where we live. When the Knicks are good everyone Knows when we suck everyone Knows.

When he drops 60 at MSG the World knows about it the next day, people in Europe know about it, people in China know about it.

Games at the Garden are like competing in the Coliseum of Ancient Rome, everyone was watching and Legends were written about the bravest performers. Its the same thing at MSG.

Jordan drops 55 at Conseco Fieldhouse its not a big deal. He does it at the Garden and it becomes Legend. Kobe and Jordan have both understood this and this is why some players have their best games there. Danny Granger is a household name if he plays at the Garden. 1 Title at the Garden is worth a Chicago Three Peat. It just doesnt get any bigger.

You play the best on the Biggest Stage and seeing as the Finals are only once a year the Garden is that stage and they knew this and they used it to build their Legends.

If the Yankees were from Vermont and they have 27 titles does anyone care? 27 world titles and New York on the fron of your Jersey makes Legends.

Im sorry but its true.
the funny thing is eventhough thats the parody of a nyer,the stereotype.your probably being completely straight when writing that lol

Bornknick73
02-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Something about the line....

"If you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere"
"New York, Neeewwwww Yoooork"

I think it brings out the best in people. Well the people who are up for the challenge that is. The ones who arent move to Florida.

Bruno
02-12-2011, 09:12 PM
It also has to do with the history, and the lore of the building. It is one of the only old time structres left still being used by an elite NBA franchise. The original Boston Garden, The Great Western Forum, ect are no longer in use by NBA teams.

MSG has been open since 1968. Thats a long, rich history.

mrblisterdundee
02-12-2011, 10:29 PM

Im sorry but its true.

It's called the internet, smart one. When I pull lint out of my belly button and drunkenly decide to Tweet about it, the world knows.

Bornknick73
02-12-2011, 10:46 PM
It's called the internet, smart one. When I pull lint out of my belly button and drunkenly decide to Tweet about it, the world knows.

I understand your hate. You cant make it in NYC so you dump on it. Youre not the first and youre surely not gonna be the last. Thats why people like you dont live here. You cant hack it.

Using dumb lint references doesnt change that. And I doubt a tweet with 3 followers (ma,dad,granny) constitutes the World. Using a tweet reference is the dumbest **** ive ever heard. So i guess youre tweet about lint was heard by 4 billion people?

Then people wonder why NYers are so arrogant. Just admit what everyone in the free world already knows. NYC is the greatest City in the United States of America. People in Idaho and Bumsville Kansas dont stay up at night and wish on a shooting star to make it in....Portland Oregon

I dont see terrorists trying to blow up the Rose Garden:facepalm:

DwayneMVPwade
02-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Its the grandest stage of all

NYK|NYY
02-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Its simple, bigger markets are popular. Bandwagoners like to root for players in LA/NY/BOS. Throw a popular player in NY and he is going to be on every mag cover/newspaper etc which means ++ endorsements

Bornknick73
02-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Its simple, bigger markets are popular. Bandwagoners like to root for players in LA/NY/BOS. Throw a popular player in NY and he is going to be on every mag cover/newspaper etc which means ++ endorsements

Couldnt have made it simpler myself.

These cats act like hes coming off the welfare line or like hes leaving a lottery ticket at the laundrymat. Hes already rich. Like hes desperate for money. If he stopped playing right now and he was wise with his investments he has more money in this life then he will ever need. Generations of Anthony's will live off of that money.

2 endorsement deals makes up for that lost extension money.

kArSoN RyDaH
02-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Staples Center= the mecca of basketball.

knicks_champ
02-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Michael Jordan said it the best. So just let us Knicks fans have this one W.

Thank you, Good night. :)

Lebron101
02-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Every player plays amazing against TORONTO RAPTORS look at lebron's career high look at kobe's career high

Big Zo
02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
It's not the "lore" of the building, or any of that B.S. It's that every player wants to punch Spike Lee's bug-eyed face, but since they can't they just decide to take it out on his team.

69centers
02-13-2011, 01:08 PM
It's that weasel Spike Lee sitting in the front row. He's so annoying and riles everyone up, it gets them to play their best because they want to rub it in his face so bad.

eugene
02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Boston Garden is a true mecca.. :)

The Final Boss
02-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Funny, I was always under the impression that MSG was a side show in the NBA. An irrelevant bunch of hangers on who just so happen to play in a clown of a market. P.S. 'Super Stars' go off at MSG because the Knicks have been a team of scrubs who don't play defense, not because of the building.

Shkelqim
02-13-2011, 03:09 PM
It's all about Staples Center.

Players play good in MSG, because the Knicks suck. Same reason why players play good against the Raptors.

LeBron has more fans in MSG..than anywhere LOL:facepalm:

NYK|NYY
02-13-2011, 03:50 PM
How many people here have actually spent about a month in NYC? Now imagine an athlete with endless amounts of money (compared to most of us) living there half a season. You can see why people want to play there, not to mention all the endorsements coming there way if they do.

The Final Boss
02-15-2011, 01:07 PM
How many people here have actually spent about a month in NYC? Now imagine an athlete with endless amounts of money (compared to most of us) living there half a season. You can see why people want to play there, not to mention all the endorsements coming there way if they do.

I lived in N.Y. for 4 years, and became borderline suicidal.

RZZZA
02-15-2011, 02:31 PM
New York is 14-12 at home and 13-14 on the road. This team has shown no clear home court advantage this season, and seem to win a little under 50% on the road and a little over 50% at home.

the Knicks are the only team in the NBA that are neither good at home nor on the road, but 50/50 everywhere

Bornknick73
02-15-2011, 08:30 PM

some people cant hack it, you wouldnt be the first.

magichatnumber9
02-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Super stars go berserk at MSG because Spike Lee is a DRF. Middle word riding. It is a right of passage for every super star to walk by spike and say "School Daze was the biggest turd of a movie ever made". And then drop 30+ in disgust for losing 2 hours of time they wish they could have back.

KnicksR4Real
02-15-2011, 08:47 PM

so you are a lakers fan that is part of the memphis grizzlies forum. anyone find that unusally vagina like?

LegendX
02-15-2011, 08:59 PM

its okay, you can keep it...

LegendX
02-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Super stars go berserk at MSG because Spike Lee is a DRF. Middle word riding. It is a right of passage for every super star to walk by spike and say "School Daze was the biggest turd of a movie ever made". And then drop 30+ in disgust for losing 2 hours of time they wish they could have back.

I lol'd hard. :laugh:

Problemchild
02-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Am I REALLY the first one to go THIS way with the thread?

Here we go:

I think it's because they suck. It was easy to score on them before because they were terrible, and it's easy to score on them now because they don't play defense. Knicks fans are like the wimpy kid in the playground who gets his faced pounded in and then yells "I hurt your hand with my face" afterwards.

You don't get destroyed because you are something special. You don't get destroyed because you are any kind of "mecca of basketball". You get destroyed because there is nothing that you can do about it. It's as simple as that.

Or maybe because its in the center of the capitol of the world & if you ever been to the garden you would know it's where clowns get puched in the face not vice versa. An alot of you guys just fail to understand that just playing good against any new york team gets you the most attention ESPN & most of these po-donk towns like boston hate new york so why fight it we just need a team to fight these clowns back.

Problemchild
02-15-2011, 09:09 PM

You probably had that lebron gene in you......in new york only the strong survive we throw up the weak. They usually land in the surrounding stares !

Problemchild
02-15-2011, 09:12 PM
New York is 14-12 at home and 13-14 on the road. This team has shown no clear home court advantage this season, and seem to win a little under 50% on the road and a little over 50% at home.

the Knicks are the only team in the NBA that are neither good at home nor on the road, but 50/50 everywhere

Because believe it or not dude there's really more pressure playing in the garden as a home team than a visiting team. Dude our players get the business all day in new york when they play bad not everyone can handle that type of pressure.

DCB/LAL
02-15-2011, 09:12 PM

Or can be because their team is horrible and cant stop superstars from scoring 40+ when they want to. :shrug:

knicks_champ
02-16-2011, 07:35 PM
You ignorant people think the Knicks sucked throughout their whole history. Smh.

Jaji
02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Great scorers play great everywhere. Its just more publicized when its in NYC.

ramsizzle
02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
You ignorant people think the Knicks sucked throughout their whole history. Smh.

you sire are right...they have only sucked for much of it not all.