PDA

View Full Version : Sonics/Thunder Franchise

JordansBulls
02-11-2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/numbers.html

How in the world does the Sonics/Thunder franchise have guys like Lenny Wilkins who only played 4 years and Nate Mcmillian's #'s retired but not Gary Payton's or Shawn Kemp?
Is there a reason behind that?

Frrrrank!!!
02-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Why do the heat have Jordans and Marinos numbers retired?

Some teams just do wierd things.

drew_ellis_23
02-11-2011, 07:20 PM

How in the world does the Sonics/Thunder franchise have guys like Lenny Wilkins who only played 4 years and Nate Mcmillian's #'s retired but not Gary Payton's or Shawn Kemp?

they moved to OKC before they got the chance and the Thunder have no rights to them so when Seattle gets a new team I am sure they will retire their numbers.

Thread

superkegger
02-11-2011, 07:36 PM
they moved to OKC before they got the chance and the Thunder have no rights to them so when Seattle gets a new team I am sure they will retire their numbers.

Thread

That really couldn't have been more straighforward.

SteveNash
02-11-2011, 07:52 PM

You do know Lenny Wilkins was also a coach that won them a championship right?

The Jokemaker
02-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Maybe the fact Kemp had huge issues with Seattle that led to him being traded or his coke addictions... Just brainstorming!

GoatMilk
02-11-2011, 08:06 PM
teams dont always retire numbers right away
took the Knicks a few years to retire Patrick's number for instance. thats probably why they didnt do it right away for Kemp. he left on bad terms. they would have eventually

Payton had just retired when the Sonics became the Thunder and moved, so they didnt have the chance to

and the Thunder wont retire these numbers. Everything Sonics related stayed in Seattle

soonabooma
02-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Their numbers will never be retired now. The Franchise is now the Thunder, everything Sonics related is over now, the only place where any of it actually exists...other than in a secret vault owned by Clay Bennett, is in peoples heads. They can't retire numbers for guys that played on a team that no longer exists. It kinda sucks for Payton and Kemp, but they can thank the people of Seattle for that.

Baller1
02-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Their numbers will never be retired now. The Franchise is now the Thunder, everything Sonics related is over now, the only place where any of it actually exists...other than in a secret vault owned by Clay Bennett, is in peoples heads. They can't retire numbers for guys that played on a team that no longer exists. It kinda sucks for Payton and Kemp, but they can thank the people of Seattle for that.

You're so misinformed, it's embarrassing for me to even be a fan of the same team as you.

soonabooma
02-12-2011, 03:45 AM
How do you figure son?

Bulls_fan90
02-12-2011, 07:40 AM
How do you figure son?

Im not 100% sure, Baller can correct me BUT the Thunder keeps all of the Sonics history until the Sonics are reformed. Once that happens (and im sure it will) the Thunder will have a seperate identity from the Sonics. And the Sonics will take back all of their history (including their championship).

Gram
02-12-2011, 09:07 AM

:facepalm:

MiamiWadeCounty
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Why do the heat have Jordans and Marinos numbers retired?

Some teams just do wierd things.
Trying to take a shot at the Heat I see. I don't think it is that weird. They are giving respect to the greatest player ever and his contributions to the game. The reason Marino's number is retired is because he has/had a huge part in the sports culture of Miami. He is honored because he is one the city's greatest sports heros.

gilly
02-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Why is every thing a slight on the damn Heat?! He said weird, not stupidly ****ing idiotic. Retiring the number of a player that never even played on your team and the number of a person who never never played basketball is pretty weird, no other team does this. 'Trying to take a shot at the Heat I see': give us a break. Heat fans just make this forum so damn stupid by playing themselves the victims.