PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Jerry Sloan to resign as coach of the Jazz

Pages : [1] 2

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 01:56 AM
The reason why I post this in main NBA forum is because Jerry Sloan is the longest tenure coach in sports right now and it would be a huge shock to the league. Especially since Larry Miller before he died said he could coach the Jazz has long as he wanted.

SLOAN TO RESIGN!
http://twitter.com/desnewssports

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700108714/KSL-Utah-Jazz-coach-Jerry-Sloan-to-resign.html

This is the Jazz beat writer

http://twitter.com/tribjazz

-Jazz's Sloan has yet to speak with media. Been about 15 minutes. Longest wait of season.

-Worth noting that Jazz's Sloan is normally about fastest in league to speak postgame.

-Jazz's Sloan has still yet to come out for postgame interview. Been about 30 minutes since game ended.

-Jazz's Sloan appeared shaken up after game. Said he had a conversation with GM O'Connor. Would not discuss it.

-Jazz's Sloan said postgame discussion involved assistants, GM O'Connor. Sloan took two Qs on chat, then said he'd only discuss game.

-Jazz's Sloan said media would be informed Thursday about discussion between him and O'Connor.

-Definitely a very weird, unique vibe after Jazz loss to Bulls. Sloan was not himself. Still polite and attentive with media, though.

-Just informed that an interview request with Jazz GM O'Connor has been declined.

-Jazz were originally scheduled to practice Thursday. Has now been canceled.

A trade could be coming but seeing Sloan acting different is rare (He is always the same) And trades usually don't effect him this way. So let the speculation begin.

By the way Deron made comments earlier this week about Fesenko needing playing time and directed his comments towards Sloan. Than Fesenko played 18 minutes last game after the comments. Than tonight he played 5. Than O'Connor the jazz GM had a discussion with Sloan. Total speculation but just trying to connect the dots.

RZZZA
02-10-2011, 01:57 AM
what the, seriously? Why do coaches get fired after losing to us. First Jim O'Brien now Sloan?

people act like losing to us is like losing to the cavaliers

Gators123
02-10-2011, 01:58 AM
wow :speechless:

210Don
02-10-2011, 01:59 AM
what the, seriously? Why do coaches get fired after losing to us. First Jim O'Brien now Sloan?

:laugh2:

Sadds The Gr8
02-10-2011, 02:00 AM
didn't they just extend his contract for one more year?

NYKnickFanatic
02-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Didnt Sloan just get a one year extension recently?

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:01 AM

yes they did but he never commits fully until the summer. He does this every year. it is not a for sure thing until the summer when he clears his head.

Its a really weird situation. He commits but also says he could change his mind.

LTBaByyy
02-10-2011, 02:02 AM
They just extended his contract?

D Roses Bulls
02-10-2011, 02:04 AM
The reason why I post this in main NBA forum is because Jerry Sloan is the longest tenure coach in sports right now and it would be a huge shock to the league. Especially since Larry Miller before he died said he could coach the Jazz has long as he wanted.

A trade could be coming but seeing Sloan acting different is rare (He is always the same) And trades usually don't effect him this way. So let the speculation begin.

By the way Deron made comments earlier this week about Fesenko needing playing time and directed his comments towards Sloan. Than Fesenko played 18 minutes last game after the comments. Than tonight he played 5. Than O'Connor the jazz GM had a discussion with Sloan. Total speculation but just trying to connect the dots.

WTF dude, he isnt being fired or ever will be fired. misleading as hell. the only way he's not gonna be the jazz coach is if he quits or retires

topdog
02-10-2011, 02:13 AM

Yeah, so that is senseless to say he is being fired.

Rego247
02-10-2011, 02:16 AM
jerry sloan fired? yea i'll believe it when i see it.

Geargo Wallace
02-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Not happening. He is the Jazz.

Frrrrank!!!
02-10-2011, 02:22 AM
jerry sloan fired? Yea i'll believe it when i see it.

+1

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Yeah, so that is senseless to say he is being fired.

If you understood how the Jazz and Sloan work those extensions actually mean nothing. Every summer he says he is coaching this year. Even after he signed a 2 year extension he still would announce he is coaching for sure at a certain time. A normal team the extensions mean a lot. With the Jazz it means they agreed on a price. Not his commitment.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:25 AM
Also the Jazz practice was canceled tomorrow. And the Jazz never do that.

RZZZA
02-10-2011, 02:26 AM
well maybe he wasnt feeling good, he is pretty old.

5ass
02-10-2011, 02:28 AM

true

thechom80
02-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Weird. If they fire Sloan, they might as well move the team. lol

I can't imagine Utah without Jerry. I don't think he's going anywhere. Since you think a trade may be coming if Sloan stays, what type of move would the Jazz make?

thechom80
02-10-2011, 02:29 AM

Good point.

The BodyGuard °
02-10-2011, 02:32 AM
Didn't they gave him a new contract?

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:35 AM
Weird. If they fire Sloan, they might as well move the team. lol

I can't imagine Utah without Jerry. I don't think he's going anywhere. Since you think a trade may be coming if Sloan stays, what type of move would the Jazz make?

No way to tell. Jazz keep things very secret. I am leaning more towards him be fired than a trade. Jazz don't make trades because of losses usually. Its rare.

But this whole situation is not normal. And seeing Kevin O'Connor screaming during the game (never seen him do that before) and the owner very angry on the sideline. Sloan shaken after his talk with O'Connor with the long wait. And practice canceled. And O'Connor won't talk to the press.

It doesn't add up to something simple. And when Sloan says he will tell the media tomorrow means its serious. Something big is being changed.

Super.
02-10-2011, 02:37 AM
I call ********

D1JM
02-10-2011, 02:37 AM
i can see a trade coming

Voodoo Alchemy
02-10-2011, 02:38 AM

there's no dots to connect. sloan aint goin anywhere.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:38 AM
If you read the recent posts from the beat writer he says its just a heated conversation. So maybe he was threatened. But could end up being just a big fight. We will see tomorrow when they tell the media. Which would seem odd to tell the media that they had a talk and thats it? He already said that. So not sure what he could announce tomorrow?

D1JM
02-10-2011, 02:46 AM
the owner would fire the gm before sloan

bulls_world23
02-10-2011, 02:47 AM
The jazz will be nothing without sloan.

Htownballa1622
02-10-2011, 02:51 AM
"I don't think there's any great need for panic," he said, before adding that his general manager is always evaluating players and moves the team can make. "We're not looking to trade anybody. We're looking to make our team hopefully better on the floor."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/basketball/7421034.html

iggypop123
02-10-2011, 02:51 AM
maybe its his health. i hope not but its a logical conclusion. he aint getting fired.

sunsfan88
02-10-2011, 02:52 AM
Wow if Sloan gets fired, Sarver better get on the phone.

He's the 3rd best active coach in the NBA right now behind Popavich and Phil.

MJ-BULLS
02-10-2011, 02:53 AM
i think its more of a trade coming than firing JS.

jimbobjarree
02-10-2011, 03:02 AM
the GM needs firing before Sloan, he has sucked and made mistakes for years that have hurt us. Hire a GM who actually has some balls. If we dont make a trade before the deadline he best be fired.

I doubt Sloan fired, but the post game stuff was really wierd. At least Deron cant spew loadsa ******** about wanting out cus of this loss, since he was the main reason for it.

The team needs a trade. A big center and a shooter...what the team has needed for years. And then we finally get wesley matthews and the gm lets him go :pity:

also ware, you need to post in the jazz forum!

TrueFan420
02-10-2011, 03:02 AM

x2

GoatMilk
02-10-2011, 03:05 AM
why would he be all shaken up over a trade? they suck, he's probably begging for a trade
are they trading John Stockton's legacy or something?
he doesnt get shaken up over anything. same look 24/7

maybe he was sick as some of you pointed out. he cant get fired. maybe he steps down, but it wont be fired (at least it wont come out as fired in the media)

Phenomenonsense
02-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Lol someone doesn't know the difference between Then and Than, but this news is terrible for my favorite franchise out west.

lakerboy
02-10-2011, 03:18 AM
Maybe it is really the health, or Deron Williams coming to LA for a bag of chips and some draft picks

THE_FLASH_21
02-10-2011, 03:33 AM
Wow if Sloan gets fired, Sarver better get on the phone.

He's the 3rd best active coach in the NBA right now behind Popavich and Phil.

LOl Maybe 2nd

Phil LOl all i have 2 say is.. Kobe, Gasol, Jordan, Shaq, Pipen

ragee
02-10-2011, 03:45 AM

Hahaha... That was funny... Don't take offense though...ot you guys... It is The Jazz has been off lately... And from what I have heard, D-Will and Sloan has not been seeing eye to eye lately... So if they continue to lose, they would be forced to chose between the two...

LongWayFromHome
02-10-2011, 03:52 AM
If its a trade its a big one for people to act so strangely. Maybe they're blowing the team up. I've heard a lot of Williams rumors lately.

iggypop123
02-10-2011, 04:16 AM
the GM needs firing before Sloan, he has sucked and made mistakes for years that have hurt us. Hire a GM who actually has some balls. If we dont make a trade before the deadline he best be fired.

I doubt Sloan fired, but the post game stuff was really wierd. At least Deron cant spew loadsa ******** about wanting out cus of this loss, since he was the main reason for it.

The team needs a trade. A big center and a shooter...what the team has needed for years. And then we finally get wesley matthews and the gm lets him go :pity:

also ware, you need to post in the jazz forum!

to be fair his contract was frontloaded. i think its like 8 million the first yr. the jazz were over the tax so basically double that for the owner.

jimbobjarree
02-10-2011, 04:21 AM
its 5.8mil first year, with a handful of possible bonuses. still, that contract is going to end up being a bargain, and we're stuck with washed up raja bell for 3 years.

We finally had our 2 guard for the future and let him walk for nothing

LongWayFromHome
02-10-2011, 04:28 AM
to be fair his contract was frontloaded. i think its like 8 million the first yr. the jazz were over the tax so basically double that for the owner.

I'm pretty sure coach contracts don't count as cap/luxury tax

LeonFSU
02-10-2011, 04:35 AM
the owner would fire the gm before sloan

If anyone is fired it should be the GM. What is Sloan supposed to do? The Jazz let Boozer go; Let Wesley Matthews go; Let Korver go; They are sitting on a trade chip in Kirilenko's expiring. Okur has been injured. They obviously need some perimeter shooting/scoring.

Although the coach usually takes the fall for the crappy GM, I don't think that's the case here. Maybe O'Connor told Sloan he had sex with his wife? :shrug:

LongWayFromHome
02-10-2011, 04:42 AM
Maybe O'Connor told Sloan he had sex with his wife? :shrug:

seems more likely. everybody is acting like something personal is going on

jimbobjarree
02-10-2011, 04:49 AM
sloans wife is dead.

More likely scenario would be that KOC smashed up one of Sloan's John Deere's

Iron24th
02-10-2011, 05:28 AM

This.

ragee
02-10-2011, 05:48 AM
its 5.8mil first year, with a handful of possible bonuses. still, that contract is going to end up being a bargain, and we're stuck with washed up raja bell for 3 years.

We finally had our 2 guard for the future and let him walk for nothing

What's up with the management? You guys lost a lot of good players... Boozer, Matthews, Brewer, Korver, Maynor...

abe_froman
02-10-2011, 05:56 AM
What's up with the management? You guys lost a lot of good players... Boozer, Matthews, Brewer, Korver, Maynor...

couldnt afford to keep them all

jimbobjarree
02-10-2011, 05:56 AM

its the fact that we're a small market team that cant afford the luxury combined with AK making ridiculous money and choking our cap. Boozer leaving, I dont really mind about that. Korver was a good shooter, but he wasn't worth 5 million to us. Maynor leaving I was annoyed about, saving 13 million was more important to management. Brewer was a one dimensional player, and we had Matthews, so giving him up for a 1st (who we flipped for big al) was good business IMO. Before all this, in cap hell, we extend memo okur 2 years 20 million, before he even got to free agency, which has further killed us.

Then we come to Wesley. We wanted him to stay, he wanted to stay, yet we never even made him an offer and we decided against matching him when his salary was only 2 million more than washed up raja bell.

if you think for the price of ak47 you could almost get wesley matthews, kyle korver, cj miles and ronnie brewer (all our other wings last season), then you realize how much damage that contract has done to us over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

LeonFSU
02-10-2011, 06:00 AM
sloans wife is dead.

More likely scenario would be that KOC smashed up one of Sloan's John Deere's

He remarried.

Who would you like to see the Jazz go after, if anyone, with Kirilenko's expiring contract?

Gators123
02-10-2011, 06:01 AM
tribjazz Brian T. Smith
Worth noting that Jazz's Kirilenko emerged from coaches' and not players' locker room. Gave no indication anything went down, though.

Probably a trade.

SB1
02-10-2011, 06:03 AM
jerry sloan fired? yea i'll believe it when i see it.

Agreed

bholly
02-10-2011, 06:08 AM
Isn't it weird, regardless of what it is, that they met between the game and the press conference? I mean, especially if they didn't want to announce anything yet. If they were firing him, and didn't want to announce it for a few days, I feel like they'd send him out to the press first.

That almost does make me feel like someone died or got really sick or something, and they felt the need to tell him (and the assistants) right away.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how this all went down?

jimbobjarree
02-10-2011, 06:10 AM
He remarried.

Who would you like to see the Jazz go after, if anyone, with Kirilenko's expiring contract?

oh, good for him

and I dont know. New teams pop up everyday that want to save money or want to shift certain players. I think the most realistic guy at the moment is stephen jackson, although many say he'd clash with sloan too much. We could also do with a center, nobody is really available except perhaps chris kaman though. Then there are other ideas bringing us a handful of lesser players that could help out. More unrealistic/dream options would be gerald wallace or danny granger.

TheDiggler
02-10-2011, 07:40 AM
not happening. He is the jazz.

+1

Hawkeye15
02-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I would be utterly shocked if Jerry Sloan is fired.

Windy
02-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Something's fishy here.

goose15
02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Sloan is the Utah Jazz.. he'll never get fired

TO to the CHI
02-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Someone change the thread title. No way O'Connor pulls Sloan aside to tell him he is fired and then Sloan goes out to conduct his press conference to say there is news tomorrow (which would be him announcing that the news of his firing is coming). An assistant coach getting turfed is possible. A trade is certainly possible. But there is absolutely nothing here that would suggest that Sloan is getting turfed. Absolutely nothing.

BALLER R
02-10-2011, 10:17 AM
if he gets fired us raptors will gladly take him on board

John Walls Era
02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
When you think of the jazz u think of sloan. I dont thing he will get fired

justinnum1
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
If you understood how the Jazz and Sloan work those extensions actually mean nothing. Every summer he says he is coaching this year. Even after he signed a 2 year extension he still would announce he is coaching for sure at a certain time. A normal team the extensions mean a lot. With the Jazz it means they agreed on a price. Not his commitment.

They been working for the last 20 years, thats all you need to know. One loss agasint a non contender should not force any irrational moves.

Lo Porto
02-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Sloan isn't going anywhere. So let's end that speculation.

Sloan is a player's coach. He's hard on players, but he doesn't like trading players. He didn't want to trade Boozer even though everyone knew Boozer wasn't coming back. KOC (Jazz FO) probably told Sloan that the Jazz FO was going to shop some of the players Sloan has worked with a lot over the last few years. If I had to guess, AK and even Deron might be on that list.

sunnydayin'zona
02-10-2011, 11:23 AM
LOl Maybe 2nd

Phil LOl all i have 2 say is.. Kobe, Gasol, Jordan, Shaq, Pipen

Sloan-Stockton+Malone but no rings?

Bornknick73
02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Another example of media ********. This is even more unbelievable then Melo for Bynum.

The Jazz will NEVER fire Jerry Sloan. Why should they? He has long been a long staple of the stability of that organization, he has continued to put them into a position to win no matter what changes the front office makes to the team. The man is a HOF coach.

The only reason i can even fathom a firing is because they havent one the big one. But since when is Utah a championship starved whore in the mold of say a Ny Knicks? They are a very profitable small market team with a cult following. I cant see them ever firing Jerry Sloan.

Bornknick73
02-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Sloan-Stockton+Malone+Jordan= no rings?

fixed

Mr.Chi-Town
02-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Maybe he went to ask the gm to trade for some help and the GM said i cant do nothing for ya man.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
This is how I see it. The poor sad little media was forced to wait 30 minutes for Sloan's postgame conference. So therefore they came to the stupid conclusion that it could only be a result of him about to be fired. Freakin media, a fetus could do their jobs.

smith&wesson
02-10-2011, 12:00 PM
sloan will never get fired. and if he does any team other then san antonio and the la lakers would go after him in a heart beat.

BallzDeep
02-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Someone change the thread title. No way O'Connor pulls Sloan aside to tell him he is fired and then Sloan goes out to conduct his press conference to say there is news tomorrow (which would be him announcing that the news of his firing is coming). An assistant coach getting turfed is possible. A trade is certainly possible. But there is absolutely nothing here that would suggest that Sloan is getting turfed. Absolutely nothing.

Amen! It's most likely a trade situation that Sloan disagreed on. But I'm not sure that management would disclose these changes to coach directly after a loss, then send him out to the dogs (media). :confused:

Lo Porto
02-10-2011, 12:10 PM
There's something to this. KOC and Sloan had a heated discussion about something. It's not like Sloan was just late to the press conference. He was also shaken. And KOC addressed the media too which is not common. And practice was cancelled for this morning.

I'm not saying anything tangible comes from it (somebody fired or somebody big traded), but something happened between them. Or something happened in the lockerroom.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-10-2011, 12:11 PM
:laugh2:

BallzDeep
02-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Why would they cancel practice the next day?

hdxstunts1
02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I doubt he's fired since they just gave him that 1 year extension

KingPosey
02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
No way to tell. Jazz keep things very secret. I am leaning more towards him be fired than a trade. Jazz don't make trades because of losses usually. Its rare.

But this whole situation is not normal. And seeing Kevin O'Connor screaming during the game (never seen him do that before) and the owner very angry on the sideline. Sloan shaken after his talk with O'Connor with the long wait. And practice canceled. And O'Connor won't talk to the press.

It doesn't add up to something simple. And when Sloan says he will tell the media tomorrow means its serious. Something big is being changed.

LOL and they dont fire Jerry Sloan that often either.

USMCLaker
02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Maybe he just had gas.

TO to the CHI
02-10-2011, 01:50 PM
They been working for the last 20 years, thats all you need to know. One loss agasint a non contender should not force any irrational moves.

:facepalm:

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I doubt he's fired since they just gave him that 1 year extension

Some things people need to realize. That extension was given a long time ago. Kevin O'Connor made a comment recently about he wasn't sure why it was just reported. It was given months ago. So that means nothing.

The second thing is its not just the loss to the bulls. Its the losses from the past month. They won't make the playoffs at the rate they are going. They are a 500 ball club right now. They started off really hot and teams have caught on. And they have not been playing well for awhile now. not just a few games.

Deron and Sloan are not seeing eye to eye. Kevin O'Connor and Sloan are not seeing eye to eye obviously. And now ESPN Radio just reported that there is rumors that Sloan might be stepping down.

Something is being changed. You don't get sick than tell the media they will find out tomorrow that he was sick? That doesn't make sense.
We are waiting to find out the issue today and what is being changed.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:36 PM

Des News a local newspaper.

Sloan to Resign

Mods might want to change the title of the page to Sloan Resigns if you find this legit. It is coming out soon.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Jerry Sloan and Phil Johnson to Resign

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700108714/KSL-Utah-Jazz-coach-Jerry-Sloan-to-resign.html

futureman
02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Looks like a coaching change.

GSRaider
02-10-2011, 02:39 PM
This is the LAST thing I expected to read... I can't imagine Sloan being fired, don't think it'll happen and I'm confident it won't happen...

But hey, my Warriors need a new coach... C'mon Slian ditch the Jazz, join my Warriors and turn us into a consistent playoff team... ;)

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...to-resign.html

Mods are welcome to merge threads. But this is legit. It is happening.

Red222
02-10-2011, 02:41 PM
KSL has learned that Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and assistant coach Phil Johnson will resign at a press conference later Thursday.

More details will be posted as they become available.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700108714/KSL-Utah-Jazz-coach-Jerry-Sloan-to-resign.html:eyebrow:

Weezy
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
OH SNAP!!!! I can't believe it........

justinnum1
02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
wow

Hawkeye15
02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
I am beyond shocked.

justinnum1
02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Shocked to say the least...he must have been thinking about this for a while now

Weezy
02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
the Chicago Bulls are like a curse for coaches. Hey Bulls.. beat my Knicks down LOL

.............that was a joke... or was it?

DoMeFavors
02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
So stupid that who ever disrepsected Sloan, he has been a Jazz coach before some current players were born.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Mods please change the title to (Sloan & Johnson Resign)

Squad13
02-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Crazy

bovice163
02-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Wow! I wonder what happened to warrant Jerry's resignation?

Weezy
02-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I am wondering why he did it and I am wondering is he just retiring completely? If not.. where would his next stop be?

It should be very interesting to say the least.

Hoopsadvocate
02-10-2011, 02:54 PM
IDK how i feel about this. Not really too shocked because the Jazz never could get over the hump but at least they were a competitive team but i guess the changes made and the current tough times there having to go along with d williams impending FA in a few years was looming in the back of Jerry Sloans head and now he just made the decision to leave.

Sucks because hes such a great coach and person who deserves a winning team id like him on the HEAT but i wouldnt feel right bumping spo out without a full year under his belt with this team.

I guess we shall see but no doubt Jerry would be a great coach for other teams including miami but hes a short term answer as he wouldnt have many years left anyway. Renting players is one thing but renting coaches is completely different.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Crazy

Hey I know who you are! Mr. Michael Schwab!

ha ha hey I am having a party at my place friday. You should come.

DoMeFavors
02-10-2011, 02:55 PM
He will coach the Lakers next season, when Phil retires.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Local radio just reported that Coach Jerry Sloan and his Assistant Coach Phil Johnson retired this morning.

DoMeFavors
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Local radio just reported that Coach Jerry Sloan and his Assistant Coach Phil Johnson retired this morning.
sad

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-10-2011, 03:01 PM

can i come? :D

Frrrrank!!!
02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow.

Squad13
02-10-2011, 03:04 PM

You can't say my name on here BROCK HANSEN.

RZZZA
02-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Chicago Bulls = coach killers

D Roses Bulls
02-10-2011, 03:07 PM
who called it? this guy right here...... that sucks though, he is a great coach and I would love him on the bulls.

HoopsDrive
02-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Nice call by the OP on this matter. Everyone was saying nah but guess there was really fire after all.

It's gonna be weird seeing the Jazz without Sloan. Guess it was time for a change...

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 03:08 PM
who called it? this guy right here...... that sucks though, he is a great coach and I would love him on the bulls.

Everyone should eat crow for attacking us.

topdog
02-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Let me catch up quick :o

topdog
02-10-2011, 03:14 PM
That's weird but I knew they wouldn't fire Sloan.

RZZZA
02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
well, maybe he resigned before they could fire him. In the professional world, if they like a guy a lot, they'll give him the option to resign instead of getting fired, to save face.

D Roses Bulls
02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Everyone should eat crow for attacking us.

I knew he wouldn't be fired. he probably just got fed up and quit.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
I knew he wouldn't be fired. he probably just got fed up and quit.

Fired really? Like you guys really think he wasn't fired because of the label?

O'Connor was heated and yelled at Sloan. Sloan came out shaken up?

And we are suppose to think Sloan made the decision? Highly unlikely.

KOC forced him out and they are calling it a resignation out of respect.

Bucsfan
02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
i dont know why you guys keep saying he got fired, obviously you dont speak english

maybe its health issues, maybe he just knew it was time for a change, why speculate

if he does retire, we will lose one of the greatest coaches ever, but maybe its time for a change

Bucsfan
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM

you have no idea that any of that happened, stop talking out of your ***

haggis
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Wow

D Roses Bulls
02-10-2011, 03:22 PM

well hollinger isnt a reliable source but what he said makes sense right here. I doubt sloan was fired. you dont fire a guy like sloan after 20 something odd years

Aaron (Los Angeles)

Let's get this question over with first, why do you think Sloan is resigning (if it's true)?

John Hollinger
(2:04 PM)

Could be any number of reasons. I doubt management forced him out, though. I suspect it may be something really simple -- like he woke up yesterday and realized he didn't want to do this anymore. But I suppose we'll get a better answer in a couple hours.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36913

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Um yes I do the Jazz beat writer said its what happened.

If you watched the Jazz Bulls game you would see how angry Kevin O'Connor was at the end of the game. He never gets mad. He was screaming and standing up. He never gets like that.

So yes we know the meeting happened. We know the discussion happened. And we know he was shaken up. Every local reporter is reporting he was shaken up after the meeting. And the owner and the GM were fired up at the end of the game. They are not seeing eye to eye.

Deron was complaining about some of Sloan's decision recently also. Everyone is mad than sloan resigns? And his coaching has been criticized a lot lately.

iggypop123
02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
looks like wojo from yahoo is finally in the story. apparently utah did well to not having anythign leak. im thinking it was him being fired but the owner saying we can make it look like you resigned.

IndyRealist
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM
well hollinger isnt a reliable source but what he said makes sense right here. I doubt sloan was fired. you dont fire a guy like sloan after 20 something odd years

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36913

Sure you do. Happens all the time in the professional world.

Giantwarrior
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Don Nelsons all time wins record is safe. lol

Don Nelson 1,335
Lenny Wilkens 1,332
Pat Riley 1,210
Jerry Sloan 1,190
Phil Jackson 1,098

mzgrizz
02-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Going to be real strange not to see him on the bench. Doubt he's through coaching and will be a commentator until he finds the right team for him now IMO

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 03:29 PM

If you only believe what you read and the articles than you are delusional.

Read what reporters locally are saying and connect the dots. I am sorry you cannot think for yourself and add things up. But read the beat reports.

What the media says in articles will be out of respect. Sloan could punch Deron Williams and they would still say he is resigning out of respect for what he did for the Jazz.

Deron made a comment this week about how something needs to change but Jerry Sloan doesn't make changes. How much more do you need to hear. I am listening to local reports now stating his comment.

Deron and O'Connor forced him out.

StriveGreatness
02-10-2011, 03:30 PM
WOW. Shocked.

arkanian215
02-10-2011, 03:30 PM
After almost 23 seasons at the helm, Utah Jazz head coach Jerry Sloan will resign at a news conference on Thursday, according to a report by the Deseret News.

The news comes as a surprise after Sloan agreed to a one-year contract extension on Monday.

Assistant coach Phil Johnson will also resign from his position immediately.

Sloan and Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor became involved in a heated discussion following Wednesday night's loss to the Chicago Bulls as they spent more than 30 minutes behind closed doors before Sloan addressed the media.

"We just had something we had to discuss," Sloan told the newspaper, "and we'll talk to you all later on about that."

Sloan usually talks to reporters about 10 minutes after the final buzzer.

According to the report, a major part of their discussion was the possibility of a trade currently in the works.

On Thursday, The Salt Lake Tribune reported that the Jazz's practice scheduled for Thursday morning was abruptly canceled, while forward Andrei Kirilenko emerged from the coaches' room and not the locker room. The report also said multiple players acknowledged that there was a weird vibe after Wednesday's game, and Sloan vaguely hinted that an update would be provided in the future about his post-game talk with O'Connor.

Sloan first started with the Jazz as a scout for the 1983-84 season and one year later became an assistant coach under Frank Layden.

He was made the team's head coach on Dec. 9, 1988 before taking the Jazz to the playoffs in 16 consecutive seasons and to the NBA Finals in 1997 and 1998.http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Utah-Jazz-head-coach-Jerry-Sloan-to-resign-021011

D Roses Bulls
02-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Sure you do. Happens all the time in the professional world.

It's not impossible to happen, but when was the last time a coach was fired after coaching a team 20 years or more?

DaBUU
02-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Sounds like he was fired after the game last night.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Let the fesenko era begin!

dhopisthename
02-10-2011, 03:36 PM
As a jazz fan I am shocked. I am going to need to get more information, but I do not think that the jazz would ever fire sloan or force him out. If you think that then you don't know the jazz very well. That probably also means that he is going to retire.

zB_#85
Hi Jerry. See you in LA next year after Phil calls it quits!!! Epic, I swear luck just falls into the Lakers lap!!!

MJ-BULLS
wow thats all i got to say.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 03:38 PM
As a jazz fan I am shocked. I am going to need to get more information, but I do not think that the jazz would ever fire sloan or force him out. If you think that then you don't know the jazz very well. That probably also means that he is going to retire.

Than you haven't been paying attention. The fans have been fed up and Deron has made comments towards sloan about not changing.

They would force him out. I am sure O'Connor gave Jerry Sloan an ultimatum of playing certain players and he didn't do it. I think Sloan was stubborn and kept doing what he always does.

RZZZA
02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
why the over reaction? Its not like we blew the jazz out by 50 points.

justinnum1
02-10-2011, 03:40 PM

:rolleyes: You think his resigning has anything to do with their loss last night?

RZZZA
02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
:rolleyes: You think his resigning has anything to do with their loss last night?

yes. You think he would have resigned and been screamed at by the GM if the jazz had won and broken their 3 game home losing streak?

HeaTxRipZz
02-10-2011, 03:43 PM
smfh don't have many words for this one....hopefully he still has more years in him

Sixerlover
I blame Al Jefferson

Flojo
yes. You think he would have resigned and been screamed at by the GM if the jazz had won and broken their 3 game home losing streak?

Foolproof logic right there.

Broadwayjoe NY
02-10-2011, 03:44 PM

I don't think it was exactly who they lost, but how they lost. More of a "last straw on the camels back" type of thing. Sloan is firmly entrenched in his ways and having coached for 22 years, he believes he knows what is best for his team and didn't want to listen to a GM and player tell him how best to coach.

It's hard to argue with his knowledge or success, but at least they were gracious enough to try to handle this as carefully as possible.

The bottom line however, is that anyone who's been around sports enough knows that a middle of the season resignation, from someone who has 22.5 years of coaching that team, means he was fired and they are giving him his dues by allowing him to save face and resign. Barring health issues, it is 100% a firing and I highly highly doubt it was rashly made and more like it was coming for a little while.

dhopisthename
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Than you haven't been paying attention. The fans have been fed up and Deron has made comments towards sloan about not changing.

They would force him out. I am sure O'Connor gave Jerry Sloan an ultimatum of playing certain players and he didn't do it. I think Sloan was stubborn and kept doing what he always does.

um I do pay attention, and deron is a whiny ***** that no one listens too, and who would he play? fes? trust me he either feels he lost his players, or he just doesn't have the fire anymore

RZZZA
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't know much, but I thought the jazz did a pretty damn good job on us yesterday.

low FT% killed them

Sadds The Gr8
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
this could be really bad for the Jazz organization. If they don't find someone good enough, quick enough, D-Will could be gone too after next year. this could be the fall of that team.

dhopisthename
I don't know much, but I thought the jazz did a pretty damn good job on us yesterday.

if the jazz don't have one there worst free throw games of the year they win

RZZZA
if the jazz don't have one there worst free throw games of the year they win

exactly. It's usually us that shoots 50% from the line, too.

dhopisthename
02-10-2011, 03:52 PM
this could be really bad for the Jazz organization. If they don't find someone good enough, quick enough, D-Will could be gone too after next year. this could be the fall of that team.

they have a good assistant in corbin, but he won't be sloan

flclfanman
02-10-2011, 03:52 PM
With or W/o Sloan the Jazz were going to barely make the playoffs. Why not let him finish out this year and resign a week after that playoff series? The way it's set up now people know Sloan got fired after the game.

If Sloan still wants to coach he'll have at least 10 teams meeting with him.

thedfactor
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Damn, Jazz without Sloan will be something else

MJ-BULLS
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM

i agree. JS is the jazz. his system has worked for so many years and made the jazz a very consistent team for a long time.

this could be the fall of the jazz.

HeaTxRipZz
02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Has anyone tried blaming the GM? Korver walked, Traded Brewer, Wes Mathews Walked and is doing his thing in portland. Unless they feel the whole team is Deron Williams I can't see how they could get angry with Sloan

Sadds The Gr8
02-10-2011, 03:56 PM
i agree. JS is the jazz. his system has worked for so many years and made the jazz a very consistent team for a long time.

this could be the fall of the jazz.

did u make that sig btw?? that's ****in disgusting

macc
02-10-2011, 04:00 PM
A coach Resigning is being fired in a classier way

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
um I do pay attention, and deron is a whiny ***** that no one listens too, and who would he play? fes? trust me he either feels he lost his players, or he just doesn't have the fire anymore

Well if nobody listens to Deron than Why is Jerry leaving?

Deron has made comments about Sloan not watching film. Not playing certain players. Not running enough.

Than Sloan leaves?

So what if he whines. I agree and think he should. Basketball is a chess match and the best coaches understand that. Sloan runs his system and if it doesn't work he blames the players rather than his rotation.

Call it whatever you want. But the players and the GM don't want him there anymore. I am sure Jerry doesn't feel wanted anymore. That is forcing him out. Unless you want to label it something else.

Fesenko should have been playing all of these years. Jerry always put someone in his dog house. And it was usually a foreigner. Arroyo, Giricek, AK and Fesenko.

Sloan doesn't adapt well to his players or the league. And Sloan also doesn't have a defensive strategy. Hence why he doesn't think watching film is important.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Has anyone tried blaming the GM? Korver walked, Traded Brewer, Wes Mathews Walked and is doing his thing in portland. Unless they feel the whole team is Deron Williams I can't see how they could get angry with Sloan

Korver was not worth 5 million a year. He can't do anything besides shoot.

Brewer was traded for a 1st round draft pick. Really you don't think that was a smart move. That first round pick got us Al Jefferson. No brainer.

Wes Matthews I agree with but I also see how the Jazz were way over the cap. And for a small market team to do that would be insane. But I do agree that they should of traded AK to clear cap space and signed Wes Matthews.

But overall he has done a good job. Sloan wanted to keep Boozer O'Connor did not. I agree with letting the injury prone over paid player that can't play defense go.

miller74
02-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Who becomes longest service coach in sports Andy Reid?

topdog
02-10-2011, 04:07 PM

If anything it's management's embarrassment over the players they let go who came back to bite them in the ***.

Maybe they are more concerned about keeping Deron. Or maybe Sloan didn't want to make changes. I don't know - I can't claim to be especially in-tune with the Jazz francise. I just know you don't "fire" a guy who's been leading you to wins for 23 years.

justinnum1
02-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Guess it was deron or sloan...
Woj
Y! Sources: After another clash with star Deron Williams on Wednesday night, Jerry Sloan resigned as Jazz coach.

Skizzik
02-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Apparently the Mavs missed the memo...we lost to the Bulls twice and somehow kept our coach!

justinnum1
02-10-2011, 04:11 PM

LMAO:facepalm: he resigned because of williams, not the loss to the bulls. :laugh:
woj
Y! Sources: After another clash with star Deron Williams on Wednesday night, Jerry Sloan resigned as Jazz coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsmpNv.bSYWFLkdICSu04B68vLYF?slug=aw-sloanretiring021011

herniateddisc
02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Utah is trading Deron to the Lakers for Artest and the right to shove Kupchak's fist in Sloan's rectum.

That is how most Laker trades go, so I would not be surprised.

championships
02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
That's crazy. Hard to think of a Jazz coach other than Sloan.. Maybe a fresh face is what this team needs though.

Nikeman
02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
I lost a bunch of respect for Williams..

Nighthawk
02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Mike Dunleavy, Sam Mitchell and Mike Brown have all won Coach of the Year Awards. Jerry Sloan never did.

wow

DaBUU
02-10-2011, 04:22 PM
LMAO:facepalm: he resigned because of williams, not the loss to the bulls. :laugh:
woj

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsmpNv.bSYWFLkdICSu04B68vLYF?slug=aw-sloanretiring021011

you know thats not what he meant, no one thinks Sloan is gone cuz they lost to the Bulls last night. that facepalm is silly. But them losing the way they did last night and the way Deron seemed to play indifferent and was manhandled, definitely didnt help the situation and was prolly the straw that broke the camels back

nolafan33
02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
So Deron Williams could be the reason Sloan resigned? Wow...

Sadds The Gr8
02-10-2011, 04:26 PM
I lost a bunch of respect for Williams..

yea same...i never knew he was a douche bag...

dnewguy
02-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Sloan’s relationship with point guard Deron Williams had grown progressively worse over the course of the season, league sources said, and the coach had tired of dealing with the team’s best player. The frustration escalated on Wednesday night when Sloan and Williams clashed in the locker room at halftime.

“He decided right there in halftime that he was done,” a league source told Yahoo! Sports. “He felt like ownership was listening more to Williams than they were to him anymore. He was done.

According to many NBA analysts, they believe Williams had tuned out his Coach.

Reactions...

Update from Marc Stein Via twitter

From everything known about latest clashes, frustrated as D-Will was/is, it was Sloan who essentially said "me or him." Result: Resignation

RZZZA
woj

I'm getting real close to just reflexively ignoring anyone who posts :facepalm: or :laugh:

If they had WON last night, you think Sloan would have been fired/resigned? I don't think so.

210Don
cant beleive this. dwill dont seem like a lebron james type guy....

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Why be mad at Williams. If the coach is not doing the correct things or adapting than I would speak up too. Your lying if you wouldn't do the same thing.

Sloan has not made any changes to lineups all year long. Only injuries have changed his rotation.

Deron wants fesenko to play and I agree with it. And so do a lot of Jazz fans. Sloan doesn't get how to complement players. He only stick to his system. If you are tired of losing you would speak out too if you were a NBA player.

Enough with the D-Will bashing. I am not a huge fan of his as a player but the situation is what I agree with. He did the right thing.

Phenomenonsense
I don't want to believe that about DWill. Seems like they were losing to some pretty bad teams recently so I could see it happening.

Gators123
Dwill's a douche.

kblo247
02-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Sad to hear, but you could see Deron's frustration building up

210Don
02-10-2011, 04:30 PM
dwill=lebron james

look what james has turned the nba into.... smh the players are runnin **** now.

justinnum1
02-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Williams is definitely a douche, but what was Utah's longterm plans? They lost 3 major contributors, and add al jefferson:confused: Probably a multitude of factors caused sloan to call it a day, the blow up with deron during halftime last night put him over the edge.

MJ-BULLS
02-10-2011, 04:33 PM
so it seem like JS made up his mind he was resigning as head coach during the halftime against the bulls last night.

jimbobjarree
02-10-2011, 04:33 PM
yes their relationship had deteriorated, and they have had disagreements, but you have absolutely 0 evidence to have what you have as the title of this thread.

AddiX
02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
dwill=lebron james

look what james has turned the nba into.... smh the players are runnin **** now.

Seriously, its terrible now.

Franchises are at complete mercy of there players. And most of the new breed athletes think they know more than coaches who been doing it there whole lives.

I'm not liking the way NBA is shaping up.

DaBUU
02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
nothing lasts forever, DWill influence or not, maybe its just time he leaves. 20+ years is a long time for anyone at any job.

MJ-BULLS
02-10-2011, 04:35 PM
dwill=lebron james

is d will really a douche. but i see where your coming from. im not liking it either.

xbrackattackx
02-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Man I hope this isn't true, D-will is one of my favorite point guards...Mannnn

Minimal
02-10-2011, 04:36 PM
This is ********

210Don
02-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Seriously, its terrible now.

Franchises are at complete mercy of there players. And most of the new breed athletes think they know more than coaches who been doing it there whole lives.

I'm not liking the way NBA is shaping up.
it sucks.once a player gets good, there gonna think they own the franchise, i dont want a player running a franchise which it seems they wanna do.

is d will really a douche. but i see where your coming from. im not liking it either.

i dont know if he is but, sloan is a hall of fame coach if theres any coach you dont question its him.

Rndy
I hope this isn't true Huge fan of D Will.

justinnum1
What a ****ing idiot...Jazz should have suspended him the minute he made that ultimatum.

abe_froman
i always liked d will ,but if true that will change

Mudvayne91
02-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I love how everyone was giving the OP crap initially and it turns out to be true. Good call, Ware.

Cool007
it sucks.once a player gets good, there gonna think they own the franchise, i dont want a player running a franchise which it seems they wanna do.

i dont know if he is but, sloan is a hall of fame coach if theres any coach you dont question its him.

+ Million times.

futureman
Yahoo is not a credible source. I wouldn't believe them if they said WW3 begun.

Weezy
02-10-2011, 04:41 PM
So.. Jazz bent down for D. Will. If true, they should have traded him. Sloan is a future hall of famer and a legend.

Pathetic :pity:

bovice163
02-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Makes a lot of sense now. I don't blame DWill, the system wasn't working and needed a change.

To those saying it's pathetic, I agree. But when you look at it objectively, it was the right move by the franchise. If they had kept Jerry, DWill is as good as gone, and who knows how long it would take for the Jazz to find another franchise player with DWill's talent level.

D1JM
they were reports that they werent seeing eye to eye not that long ago. the sad thing is that deron will still leave the franchise in 2012. idiots

Bricklayer
Hopefully a new CBA brings the ego's around the league down a notch. Players can't be calling the shots.

CarniifeX
02-10-2011, 04:43 PM
He's being re-signed, he's not resigning. Or is he?

AlexTmz2
Sloan is ol' school, he wasn't gonna go through none of the BS thats going on right now in the league.

D1JM
Makes a lot of sense now. I don't blame DWill, the system wasn't working and needed a change.

you mean for a championship? cuz sloan only had one season out of 23 when he didnt have a winning season

dnewguy
02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Yahoo is not a credible source. I wouldn't believe them if they said WW3 begun.

Sources say Sloan had lost team. One described situation as Deron Williams only staying if Sloan stepped down.
This is a quote from Brian T. Smith's twitter, he the Utah Jazz beat writer.

alencp3
02-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Deron hate will explode in here over the next days

magichatnumber9
02-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Regardless how this plays out , Dwill will look like a piece of ****.

D1JM
02-10-2011, 04:46 PM
funny how in the 90's FO didnt let their star players take control of the franchise and ever since 2006, all you hear is players making decisions. Krause didnt even let jordan call the shots

jimbobjarree
02-10-2011, 04:48 PM

at the end of the day, the dude just wants to win. In his opinion Sloan had begun to inhibit that. Cant really hate on him until the Jazz bottom out and completely fail without Jerry.

tredigs
02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
One of the leagues greatest coaches to ever do it falls to the sword of a guy who isn't even a top 5 player in the league. Sad times.

That said, Deron is indeed a franchise player, and we never know how things were playing out internally. It may be true that Sloan had simply lost control, and the right move was to look elsewhere.

Very curious to see if he'll accept a certain job in Los Angelas that is opening up next season...

Bullsfan22
02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I doubt dwill did this... but if he did he lost a fan..

Mudvayne91
02-10-2011, 04:51 PM
He's resigning or walking away from the team.

Giantwarrior
02-10-2011, 04:53 PM
its a players league.

In the next CBA the owners and League need to take back some leverage. this is getting ridiculous.

Giantwarrior
02-10-2011, 04:54 PM
just watch in 2 years, Deron Williams to the Lakers

Crackadalic
02-10-2011, 04:55 PM
So did he retire or just resign? Seeing the jazz play without him is like kobe playing for the celtics. Just plain weird

Cool007

Deservedly so.

valade16

To those saying it's pathetic, I agree. But when you look at it objectively, it was the right move by the franchise. If they had kept Jerry, DWill is as good as gone, and who knows how long it would take for the Jazz to find another franchise player with DWill's talent level.

There have been what, 20 or more franchise players of deron williams' caliber (prolly closer to 30) since sloan started coaching the jazz and only 7 championship winning coaches, and only 3-4 who have enjoyed half as much sustained excellence as sloan.

The better question is, where will the jazz find a coach as good as sloan?

Giantwarrior
02-10-2011, 04:56 PM
the NBA would be great if they cut about 4-6 teams in the league.

Giantwarrior
02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Cant blame Deron for being frustrated. Rose schooled him that night.

GodsSon
02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
If true, then this just shows the sad state the league is in and it will only continue to get worse.

Maybe a lockout is exactly what's needed...let's see how much the players like getting paid only a portion of their contract via the PA.

Dol-Fan
02-10-2011, 04:59 PM
What a joke. I really don't have words to describe how increasingly infuriated I've become with the players of the NBA.

dnewguy
02-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Update from Marc Stein via twitter

From everything known about latest clashes, frustrated as D-Will was/is, it was Sloan who essentially said "me or him." Result: Resignation

dtmagnet
02-10-2011, 05:01 PM
This is so derp.

Ware_Spencer
Sloan is so overrated as a coach.

Sloan implemented a great system and you have to give him credit for that.

But he was horrible at adapting to his players and his opponents. That is what the great coaches do. Adapt. And he was horrible at it. And I am glad to see him go. And Deron was right.

ktchrist9963
as an Illini fan I love D.Will. As a basketball fan I respect Jerry Sloan. I'm sure the Bulls have a position available in the front office if he wants it.

D.Will . . . have fun with the likes of Kurt Rambis.

valade16
02-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Update from Marc Stein via twitter

All that does for me is switch the idiot from Dwill to the FO.

If Jerry Sloan says it's me or him about Deron, goodbye Deron.

shep33
02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Utah should've traded Williams, he's not staying there if they keep losing... Sloan would have though

CarniifeX
02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah that's kind of interesting that he's not retiring. You'd think he retire if were to leave Utah. Where could he go? (That he would be willing to go to)

shep33
02-10-2011, 05:04 PM
All that does for me is switch the idiot from Dwill to the FO.

If Jerry Sloan says it's me or him about Deron, goodbye Deron.

This... we can blame Dwill all we want, from what I got from this is that the FO quit on Jerry for Dwill...

bravesatl
02-10-2011, 05:04 PM
count me in the group that was previously a d-will fan but in light of this definitely not now.

not a huge shocker to me tho since this is an illinois player.

this is why SO MANY people MUCH prefer the college game over the NBA.

hotpotato1092
02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6109031

WOW, I'm shocked.

TheDiggler
As a Jazz Fan, i Chose Sloan over D-Will all Day Long. Players come and go, but Coach Sloan is the Jazz and a true Legend. Don't believe the thread title though...

Ware_Spencer
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6109031

WOW, I'm shocked.

Dude your hours late. ha ha read before you post.

D1JM
02-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Sloan is so overrated as a coach.

Sloan implemented a great system and you have to give him credit for that.

But he was horrible at adapting to his players and his opponents. That is what the great coaches do. Adapt. And he was horrible at it. And I am glad to see him go. And Deron was right.

u serious? how many losing seasons did utah have under sloan?

LanceUpperCut
02-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Dwill needs to look in the mirror and not blame the coach. But no I guess it's easier for these spoiled kids to blame someone else.

I love this sport and find it more entertaining then any other but lots of these players are so ****ing inmature and full of them selves it makes me sick. Even if it was half Sloan that's his job hes a legend and one of the last hard *** coaches left cause most of these kids can't handle being pushed.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
As a Jazz Fan, i Chose Sloan over D-Will all Day Long. Players come and go, but Coach Sloan is the Jazz and a true Legend. Don't believe the thread title though...

Sloan is also at the end of his career as a coach. He didn't have much left. D-Will is in his prime. Sloan would of retired before D-Will even hit 30.

FO made the right decision for the team and financially for the fans.

Algmuskrats
02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
:)

superabound
02-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Jerry Sloan two nights ago went home and ate a giant steak dinner. He then excused himself, took a long, fairly satisfying dump in his bathroom. The turd that he deposited on that cold, cold Utah night knows more about basketball than Deron Williams. Good job Utah.

Algmuskrats
Dude your hours late. ha ha read before you post.

Doesn't matter if hes hours late, if this is the first thread on PSD about it, its thread worthy to talk about. Even though this may be more suitable in the Jazz section.

Rego247
this is ****ing ********.

Dol-Fan
02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Dwill needs to look in the mirror and not blame the coach. But no I guess it's easier for these spoiled kids to blame someone else.

I love this sport and find it more entertaining then any other but lots of these players are so ****ing inmature and full of them selves it makes me sick. Even if it was half Sloan that's his job hes a legend and one of the last hard *** coaches left cause most of these kids can't handle being pushed.

I just gave you props in the Raptors forum last night and I'll do it again here. I didn't have words to express my frustration with this situation but you've done it. Good post and 110% agree.

justinnum1
hours late

ChiDougie19
as an Illini fan I love D.Will. As a basketball fan I respect Jerry Sloan. I'm sure the Bulls have a position available in the front office if he wants it.D.Will . . . have fun with the likes of Kurt Rambis.

man i wish this were true

DLeeicious
02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I am getting sick and ****ing tired of **** like this. You too Deron? ****ing horseshit ***** *** **** right there if this is true.

Ware_Spencer
02-10-2011, 05:11 PM

Its so laughable when people always blame the player after something blows up. Nobody can criticize the coach. Can't say anything bad about the boss.

How many of you have ever blamed about your boss? And left because of him.

You guys need to grow up and realize coaches are wrong also. And not just blame the players because they get paid a lot. Its a joke. You guys act like money has something to do with this. Deron cares about winning. He does not need control of the team. I respect Deron for standing up to Sloan.

Sloan doesn't adapt to changes. He never has. And that was Deron's complaint. And that is the fans complaint about Sloan also. He sticks to his system and never makes changes.

True Jazz fans that study the Jazz understand this.

GodsSon
02-10-2011, 05:12 PM
In other news, the Cold War has just ended.

Sadds The Gr8
02-10-2011, 05:12 PM
wow d-will is a ****in tool...

and they choose D-will and leave Sloan, when all that's gonna happen is Deron will leave in 2 years and the team will end up with none of them...what a fail

just goes to show what a ****in joke the NBA is...these guys are all *** holes.

lincecum=future
02-10-2011, 05:13 PM
^ u guys are bigger douches than d-will

Ware_Spencer
D-Will says when losses were his fault. He said it last night. Sloan never admits to doing something wrong. He has stated this multiple times. And Sloan just says the players didn't play hard enough. Or didn't run his system.

Sloan needed to adapt. Don't hate Deron because he stood up to a guy who wouldn't change.

Algmuskrats
Drama like this is what is destroying the NBA.

Iron24th
I'm shocked,Sloan got the longest tenure as a coach of one team I think.

Sad.

dnewguy
02-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Fail.

0nekhmer
02-10-2011, 05:14 PM
"From everything known about latest clashes, frustrated as D-Will was/is, it was Sloan who essentially said "me or him." Result: Resignation"

Algmuskrats
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
D-Will says when losses were his fault. He said it last night. Sloan never admits to doing something wrong. He has stated this multiple times. And Sloan just says the players didn't play hard enough. Or didn't run his system.

Sloan needed to adapt. Don't hate Deron because he stood up to a guy who wouldn't change.

Do you know who Sloan is? Hes only 3rd in NBA wins as a coach.

superabound
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Its so laughable when people always blame the player after something blows up. Nobody can criticize the coach. Can't say anything bad about the boss.

You guys need to grow up and realize coaches are wrong also. And not just blame the players because they get paid a lot. Its a joke. You guys act like money has something to do with this. Deron cares about winning. He does not need control of the team. I respect Deron for standing up to Sloan.

Sloan doesn't adapt to changes. He never has. And that was Deron's complaint. And that is the fans complaint about Sloan also. He sticks to his system and never makes changes.

Players can't get fired because of collective bargaining. Coaches can. Coaches will constantly eat the bullets of their underachieving teams. The guy is a hall of famer. Players need to suck it up and play.
And seriously, unless you are working at McDonalds, who quits because they don't like their boss, not the best connection.

Algmuskrats
02-10-2011, 05:16 PM
"From everything known about latest clashes, frustrated as D-Will was/is, it was Sloan who essentially said "me or him." Result: Resignation"

Who said this?

GodsSon

So when Deron bolts in 2 years and you no longer have a franchise player or HOF coach, where does the Utah Jazz as an organization go from there?

Sloan brought credibility and a winning culture to that franchise, and his resignation will most definitely be felt sooner than later. Considering that the Jazz are the smallest market team in the NBA and no longer have a HOF'er sitting on the bench that people respect, the future of your team doesn't look too good right now my man.

lincecum=future

Come on get real you have no idea what was actually said in the locker room. Its a job sloan is the boss. you listen to the boss especially one as highly touted as sloan

thekmp211
lol cmon no one posted a thread about him actually resigning. we'll see if the jazz's problems were chemistry related or roster related now. i still think they need to add someone.

D Roses Bulls
u serious? how many losing seasons did utah have under sloan?

THIS.....

Utah had one losing season in 23 years sloan was there. he was not over rated, hell, I remember hearing one time when karl malone was a rookie, malone wanted to fight sloan and sloan took off his tie and told malone to meet him in the parking lot and malone backed off. sloan was a boss, he just had bad luck into running through michael jordan twice and eventually kobe bryant as well.

Hawkeye15
02-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Sad to hear, but you could see Deron's frustration building up

understood, but there are players out there who play on losing teams, or teams that can't get over the hump, that just shut up and play.

I am not liking what is going on in the NBA. The patience of these players nowadays to stay with the team that drafted them, or gave them a chance, is so short now. "Whats in it for me" is basically the mentality now.
Guess what NBA players? Not everyone can win a championship. Just play, shut up, and take your "frustrations" out on your opponent.