PDA

View Full Version : A New Way to Seed The PlayOffs

Dade County
02-09-2011, 09:02 PM
What if every 10yrs (2010,2020,2030...etc) the top 16 teams with the best records are seeded in the playoffs. 1 vs 16 and so on; playing in the west or east does not matter on this year. So yes it would be possible for two teams from the east coast to make the finals.

Would fans look forward to this, or would they hate the idea of merging the west and east just for that year (and every year that ends in an 0).

Here would be the match-ups, if the playoffs would start today. (2/9/11)

Spurs vs Suns
Boston vs Memphis
Miami vs NY
Dallas vs Portland
Lakers vs Denver
Chicago vs Utah
Okc vs New Orleans
Atl vs Orlando

Fireworld
02-09-2011, 10:32 PM
None of those match ups are exiting. So No.

hgtiger32
02-09-2011, 10:57 PM
i swear over the last 3 days i have seen some of the oddest posts on PSD ever. Most of them are people new to PSD, but this is a 300 post poster. Come on dude, ain't gonna happen

Cano4prez
02-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Pass.

whitemamba33
02-09-2011, 11:07 PM
lol....

sorry..this thread wasn't a joke?

Hellcrooner
02-09-2011, 11:22 PM
1 yeaar out of ten?

no thanks

its should be that way EVERY year.
thats how it is in the rest of the world.
it also helps balancing the league because those east teams making the playoffs could benefit from instead getting lottery picks, while the west wodlnt go on stkcing year after year, because some good enough teams dont get to playoffsa and so get a lottery pick.

Storch
02-09-2011, 11:27 PM
It should be the top 16 teams all the time. But I understand the conferences, the travel time between the playoffs would be less strenuous in a 7 game series so thats why its like that.

knicks4life33
02-09-2011, 11:31 PM
so a 1st round playoff match toronto vs lakers going back and forth lol if that was ever to happin lol

Hellcrooner
02-09-2011, 11:37 PM
It should be the top 16 teams all the time. But I understand the conferences, the travel time between the playoffs would be less strenuous in a 7 game series so thats why its like that.

thats a poor excuse that people keep repeating.

oh poor babyes they cant take a 4 hour flight to stay three days in aplace then another 4 hours and stay anohter 3 days in other place and then another one if needed.

poor poor babies.

koreancabbage
02-09-2011, 11:43 PM
should be every top team ranked 1-16. that would be amazing.

Dade County
02-09-2011, 11:44 PM
i swear over the last 3 days i have seen some of the oddest posts on PSD ever. Most of them are people new to PSD, but this is a 300 post poster. Come on dude, ain't gonna happen

I didn't say it will happen, just trying to get posters thoughts about it.

I thought about this 2yrs ago, just trying to bring some excitement to the league ever once in a while.

So would most of you hate it, or look forward to it?

HoopsDrive
02-09-2011, 11:46 PM
1 yeaar out of ten?

no thanks

its should be that way EVERY year.
thats how it is in the rest of the world.
it also helps balancing the league because those east teams making the playoffs could benefit from instead getting lottery picks, while the west wodlnt go on stkcing year after year, because some good enough teams dont get to playoffsa and so get a lottery pick.

I feel the same way here. The current system sees some AWFUL teams make the playoffs while some decent/above average teams miss it somehow.

I don't see it changing anytime soon but I'm in favor of such change. Enough with those crappy East teams making it over some of those solid teams out West.

HoopsDrive
02-09-2011, 11:50 PM
I didn't say it will happen, just trying to get posters thoughts about it.

I thought about this 2yrs ago, just trying to bring some excitement to the league ever once in a while.

So would most of you hate it, or look forward to it?

A poll would have helped here. I'd much rather see a 1-16 than the current 1-8/1-8 that somehow rewards crappy teams with playoff berths.

The Conferences/Divisions can stay for schedule-making but the playoff seeding system has got to change.

Hellcrooner
02-09-2011, 11:53 PM
of course if it was going to hapen regular season woudl also ahve to change.

in order that every team meets each other the same number of times home and away to avoid some teams ahving a easier schedule than others.
that leaves you with either

58 regular season games or
116 regular season games.

id go for 58 regular season games that indeed mattered and then only 12 teams make playoffs regardless of division.
Use the Nfl WILD card sistme to round up the playoffs.

Storch
02-10-2011, 12:00 AM
of course if it was going to hapen regular season woudl also ahve to change.

in order that every team meets each other the same number of times home and away to avoid some teams ahving a easier schedule than others.
that leaves you with either

58 regular season games or
116 regular season games.

id go for 58 regular season games that indeed mattered and then only 12 teams make playoffs regardless of division.
Use the Nfl WILD card sistme to round up the playoffs.

It seems as though you have just answered the very question that you were flaming earlier. The travel time would be too strenuous on NBA players to include regular season AND playoffs since the 82 games does not include meeting EACH team the same amount of times, thus causing a split in the conference, hence easier travel times.

HoopsDrive
02-10-2011, 12:08 AM
It seems as though you have just answered the very question that you were flaming earlier. The travel time would be too strenuous on NBA players to include regular season AND playoffs since the 82 games does not include meeting EACH team the same amount of times, thus causing a split in the conference, hence easier travel times.

58 games, 1 home and away against each team in the league. They already face each team in the league twice anyway. The only issue is less games means less $$$ for the owners/Stern. 116 is overkill.

Playoffs still a 7-game series (or can be changed). You're not guaranteed of facing a team on the other side of the country.

Hellcrooner
02-10-2011, 12:09 AM

no im not.

What im telling is teams woudl ahve to play each other the same amount of times Home and away so the competition was fair and teams woudlnt benefit form an easier schedule because they played say 3 times wich each other and one team played more hom games than others or played the bad teams home or whatever.

so that leaves only two chances.

2 times agianst each other home and away.

or 4 times against each other home and away.

since i find 116 as TOO many games ( in the short months the league is played) id rather have 58 games that mattered MOST thaat allowed no **** and not bad streaks and that alowed more rest allowing players to recover better, train more and have less injurys thus making the league level better.

Dade County
02-10-2011, 01:22 AM
"HoopsDrive & Hellcrooner"

I see what you guys are saying, and I think you for your input. (very good input)

I still would rather it be every 10yrs, so it's something to look forward to. I am not trying to change the game on that scale, just putting something new and fresh in.

I look at it like this. Imagine if your 10 and your sitting down with your older brothers watching the game. Their making a big fuse over this top 16 seeding, you really don't no whats going on, you just know that a lot of NBA fans are really talking about the playoffs. So you lived through it, but you really couldn't grasp the full meaning of that championship run.

So now time skip, your twenty, now you are in the right mental position to fully comprehend the magnitude of this top 16 seeding. You either love it or hate it, but you will not miss it, because the next time you see it again, you'll be 30.

I think it's really for the fans of the game. Some people could say, that I have been through 4 of these top 16 seedings. Thats a lot of NBA watching, memorable memories that you can pass down to your grand kids.

It's a once in a decade event, I think thats cool in a way.

kobebabe
02-10-2011, 01:46 AM
This is how you know we in regular season....boring stuff like this

Dade County
02-10-2011, 04:04 PM
This is how you know we in regular season....boring stuff like this

I think outside the box... I can't help it.

Just because this is outside of your norm, doesn't make it boring; some people are visionaries, and other people follow.