PDA

View Full Version : Should NBA make the D-League a true Minor League system?

hdxstunts1
02-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Ok we all know that the D-League can officially help players and make them NBA caliber. Its worked for many players so far.

And we all know that the D-League is a minor league system but do you think the NBA should make it official such as the AAA system in MLB?

THink about it, each NBA team gets their OWN D-League team, say they can hand out 12 minor league contracts for players to fill those rosters. Then also you can send down and call up players as you please. We all know that NBA rosters are usually anywhere from 7-10 deep, those 11th-12th man dont really help to much. So they could be interchangable all season.

And even better it could be used for the injured like MLB. As a guy is getting ready to come back from an injury instead of going from not playing for awhile to all of a sudden NBA basketball, he could spend a week with a D-League team. Get him used to things then he can come back.

Then the D-League would matter more, NBA teams could use it to develope the young guns rather then rushing guys into the league. And It could be used to fuel aging players to get better, or make a reappearance into the league this would be good for guys like Antwan Walker, AI, Stephon Marbury, they could get minor league deals with incentives to come back.

Just a thought but i really think the NBA should make it a true minor league.

Tarheels23
02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Well its a good idea, but issues of salary would most likely be the main cause of obsticles. They would have to make the cap much larger, or remove the cap altogether. If we are talking about each team having their own "AAA" affiliate, then that means each team is responsible for paying 12 or so more players on top of their NBA payroll. Not to mention coaches, trainers etc...

Also, the draft would have to be extended. Probably not a big deal, but another obsticle nonetheless. My guess is that it would have to jump from 2 rounds to either 4 or 5 rounds.

Kashmir13579
02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
It wouldn't work. if your an NBA talent, you will be useful on an NBA bench. if your not an NBA talent, chances are you will never be. i'm not saying always but it is not like baseball. sure there is always a case of Ramon Sessions, but not usually.

BrewPackBuckfan
02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I think they should and I think every team should have its own minor league team. Than again you would have to change the rules like say if a guy goes down from your team you'd have to place them on the DL for 7 days or 30 days or for some cases the whole year and than you would be able to call up someone to take that persons roster spot. You can also send down guys and bring up players. I honestly think it would be a good idea and help develop alot of players who made the mistake of coming out of college to early and develop them further.

hgtiger32
02-09-2011, 04:03 PM
like one of the above posters said, if u have nba talent you'l at least be on the bench. its not like the MLB where the minors are for developing players and such. this would be a bad idea and wouldn't work

mttwlsn16
02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I like it. Works extremely well with baseball. Gives guys time to expand their talents withou going up against the best right away, and coming back from injuries play a few games against lesser competition to get back into the rhythm

210Don
02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
no.

BranWingss
02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Yes, I actually love this idea.

Hawkeye15
02-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Well its a good idea, but issues of salary would most likely be the main cause of obsticles. They would have to make the cap much larger, or remove the cap altogether. If we are talking about each team having their own "AAA" affiliate, then that means each team is responsible for paying 12 or so more players on top of their NBA payroll. Not to mention coaches, trainers etc...

Also, the draft would have to be extended. Probably not a big deal, but another obsticle nonetheless. My guess is that it would have to jump from 2 rounds to either 4 or 5 rounds.

somewhat along these lines. It would be a great idea, but the salary structure would have to be changed. And you would have to add a round or two to the draft.

The Wolves sent Flynn down for a few games to rehab, I think more teams need to do that.

footballer2369
02-09-2011, 04:31 PM
It already is, only there really aren't enough worthy talents to fully stock teams.

The 3 or 4 assignment players is perfect as is IMO. Maybe 5 assigned players at most.

(Although, thinking about it, the Heat could have sent down more than that, including Anthony Mason Jr., Alade Aminu, Dexter Pittman, Jarvis Varnado, Robert Dozier, Patrick Beverly, Dasean Butler, Wayman Efijiku- sp?-)

I guess you could fill out rosters and make it a full minor league. Who knows?

The Jokemaker
02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I think it would be a good idea to allow players to develop and improve. Guys like Milicic and Thabeet would have benefited greatly from having a minor league type experience. Rules would obviously have to be changed but then NBA teams could market their pro team and the AAA affilitiate and make even more cash. Plus it would improve awareness on the actually D-league. Minor league baseball games are pretty popular and great for smaller cities not large enough to MLB teams and the minor league for NBA could serve the same purpose. Expanding the market is always a good thing.

BucktownUSA
02-09-2011, 04:47 PM
The D league already is good enough already as it is. some players don't even want to even play for D league teams.

mttwlsn16
02-09-2011, 04:59 PM
It already is, only there really aren't enough worthy talents to fully stock teams.

The 3 or 4 assignment players is perfect as is IMO. Maybe 5 assigned players at most.

(Although, thinking about it, the Heat could have sent down more than that, including Anthony Mason Jr., Alade Aminu, Dexter Pittman, Jarvis Varnado, Robert Dozier, Patrick Beverly, Dasean Butler, Wayman Efijiku- sp?-)

I guess you could fill out rosters and make it a full minor league. Who knows?

who the hell is Alade Aminu?

ChiDougie19
02-09-2011, 05:00 PM
how it is is fine