PDA

View Full Version : The Sixers

cbreezy34
02-09-2011, 01:43 AM
The 76ers have won 7 of their last 9 which isn't overly impressive however if you watch them... they look legit. They play good defense and seem to have their chemsitry set. Combine that with the fact that Elton Brand is playing his best ball since his Clipper days (30.5ppg in his last 2).... Iggy is playing to his strengths (aka not forcing bad shots.. look at his statlines the last couple of games), an improving Evan Turner and a soon to be star in Jrue Holiday. Now I think they will likely loose in 5 or 6 in the first round otherwise I would come off as a homer. However I believe they are more of a threat to make an upset bid then the Knicks. Im just curious as to what you guys think about this team?

Korman12
02-09-2011, 01:48 AM
I think people don't care about them and they'll tell you "Sixers Forum."

bovice163
02-09-2011, 01:49 AM
The Sixers have been playing great ball as of late, but they are a few moves away, and a vastly improved Evan Turner from becoming relevant. As good as Iggy has been for them, he has slowed the development for some of their younger players, and needs to be moved for other assets. A legit defensive, rebounding center would improve them greatly.

black1605
02-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Brand is averaging 22.5 over the last two.

But anyhow, I keep waiting for them to slip, and they don't. They're playing good ball.

nygiants242
02-09-2011, 01:59 AM
See you in the playoffs, *****es. Look out.

NBAkYD
02-09-2011, 02:00 AM
See you in the playoffs, *****es. Look out.

:nod:

xxcubs22xx
02-09-2011, 02:07 AM
I'm starting to see them establish a nice core, as well. They seem to be gaining some momentum as a team now...I've always believed they could be dangerous since the start of the year, and its nice to see them go on this little run.

They just gotta do better on the road.

IversonIsKrazy
02-09-2011, 02:08 AM
To be honest, I just can't take them seriously. I know there playing good of later, and have like the best +/- lineup frum a random stat that nba.com show'd but i cant take them seriously. To me, there just a cluttered team playing in the weak Eastern conference. I mean, they have Jrue Holiday and Lou Williams that are both young and uprising that share the PG duties. Then Iggy who apparently duznt play well with their 2nd pick Turner. Then they also have Young, who is a PF/SF. To me their too cluttered. Brand won't keep packing on those stats for long. Iggy will create some sort of problem again with Turner. It's an ugly East this year, the bottom 2 teams of the playoff pic have one of the ugliest records i've seen from a playoff team.

topdog
02-09-2011, 02:12 AM
Mediocre team with no shooters. The second half of that means real bad things in the playoffs.

More-Than-Most
02-09-2011, 02:18 AM
I never expected Collins to have this much effect on them. He has made Brand a beast again and Jrue Holidays development is becoming sick. The kid can score at will if he chooses to. Collins started giving him the green light and told him so not to long ago and he has produced. That being said we could be a dangerous team to play come the first round but have no shot at a title. I would still like to move Iggy Asap to be honest and get some pieces back for him. We should stick to a 2 year plan and go from there because holding on to guys because we are relevant will bite us in the ***.

Holiday/Turner/Young are the 3 untouchables in my opinion... Anyone else can be moved.

Giraffes Rule
02-09-2011, 02:23 AM
They're going to beat the Spurs this Friday. Book it.

believeinNYK
02-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Play good defense and have a great young improving backcourt, brand has gotten his groove back and is playing great, iggy is not trying to do/force too much even though he is their leader

jimbobjarree
02-09-2011, 02:27 AM
2 sixers threads in one day :speechless:

beasted86
02-09-2011, 02:28 AM
As long as you play defense the right way and a couple guys show up to score, you can make the playoffs in the East.

The Sixers are last year's Bobcats, but with a much brighter future because of a younger core. Would still like to see them bring in a better Center than Hawes somehow.

Don't know what it would take to get Kaman, but Clippers seem to have their new guy in Jordan, and re-uniting Kaman & Brand might be good for the both of them.

sixer04fan
02-09-2011, 02:33 AM
I'd love to see them add a low post banger at the deadline, someone like Kaman or Nene... This team could surprise and make it to the second round of the playoffs.

sixer04fan
02-09-2011, 02:35 AM
We're 21-14 since that abysmal 3-13 start. Pretty dang good. Glad to see the Sixers getting some talk in the NBA forums lately.

bholly
02-09-2011, 02:35 AM
^^ I don't think we'd take Kaman. We'd be better now, but still not good enough, and it would end up being a lot of salary to not help our future at all.

tennisoscar1
02-09-2011, 02:46 AM
Brand and Kaman together again though, does sound pretty awesome.

SeoulBeatz
02-09-2011, 02:50 AM
To be honest, I just can't take them seriously. I know there playing good of later, and have like the best +/- lineup frum a random stat that nba.com show'd but i cant take them seriously. To me, there just a cluttered team playing in the weak Eastern conference. I mean, they have Jrue Holiday and Lou Williams that are both young and uprising that share the PG duties. Then Iggy who apparently duznt play well with their 2nd pick Turner. Then they also have Young, who is a PF/SF. To me their too cluttered. Brand won't keep packing on those stats for long. Iggy will create some sort of problem again with Turner. It's an ugly East this year, the bottom 2 teams of the playoff pic have one of the ugliest records i've seen from a playoff team.

Brutally honest but true.

This Sixers team is possibly the most mismatched team in the NBA, but for some reason Doug Collins is making it work. The one thing they do have is youth, high i.q's, and athleticism. All the players on the sixers are good teammates and very unselfish as a unit.

After starting 3-13 you have to acknowledge the fact that this team has been playing very good ball for the past couple months and now at 24-27. Jrue Holiday's rise as a point guard and Andre Iguodala's acceptance of a lesser role has allowed for this team to play pretty good basketball for a while now.

BUT the sixers are also 4-12 in games decided by 5 or less points.

That's a very telling stat as this team has blown waaaaay too many games. That's a sign of their youth, but that's also a strength. This team has soo much room to grow.

Jrue Holiday 20, Craig Brackins 21 (#21 overall pick this year), Evan Turner 22, Thad Young 22, Jodie Meeks 22, Hawes 23, Speights 23, Lou Will 24, Iguodala 27....

Who really knows what the future holds for this team? Iggy and Brand may not be here for much longer. But this team now has an identity as a gritty, athletic, defensive-minded squad. I love the way their playing and it's nice to finally enjoy watching sixers games for a change (Eddie Jordan was a nightmare).

but they are a team on a rise.... of course i gotta show some love for my team and throw some highlights in here :).....

Sixers 2010 Highlight Reels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL2PqetRdO4
http

Evan Turner Debut Highlight (shows his true potential IMO)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htb4c_sskzk

Jrue and Evan Mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgrs8qvu_TM

hyb152
02-09-2011, 04:15 AM
I knew the Sixers would find some success with Doug Collins and Elton Brand. Brand didn't fit the system last year. This was expected and I got a steal in Elton Brand in my fantasy league... 6th round pick!

5ass
02-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Doug Collins is why they are doing so well

SeoulBeatz
02-09-2011, 04:40 AM
^ Doug Collins is really a great coach. This is basically the same group Eddie Jordan had and the team looks completely different out there. last year they didn't hustle, and this year i dont know if any team plays harder.

Swashcuff
02-09-2011, 08:59 AM
I am not particularly surprised to see them doing well after all this is what I basically expected from them this season. Really thought Turner would have been able to come in and produce at high level immediately. He may not be getting the numbers you'd expect of a number 2 but his impact lately is a big reason as to why we are playing better as of late. I am confident he will get it all together and be an extremely valuable part of our franchise in the future.

All and all I think that despite Iggy's and Brand's handcuffing contracts we still have a bright future ahead of us in Jrue, Evan and Thad. With the right coaching (Collins has shown that he's up to the task) and smart management a return to possible contention may very well be on the cards for us in the next 2-3 years.

alencp3
02-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Whoever play them in the playoffs will sweep the hell out of them

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2011, 09:59 AM
76ers got some serious talent! You are spot on! I do miss Dalembert, but they go the depth, youth and talent to give a team a run for their money, and I think thye could seriously stand a chance of surprising somebody and pushing a series to 7 or even getting into the second round.

We'll see as the season progresses if thye just hit a nice streak, or if Doug Collins has finally worked out a solid rotation, but they do have potential to do something this year.

Ragan
02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Brutally honest but true.

This Sixers team is possibly the most mismatched team in the NBA, but for some reason Doug Collins is making it work. The one thing they do have is youth, high i.q's, and athleticism. All the players on the sixers are good teammates and very unselfish as a unit.

After starting 3-13 you have to acknowledge the fact that this team has been playing very good ball for the past couple months and now at 24-27. Jrue Holiday's rise as a point guard and Andre Iguodala's acceptance of a lesser role has allowed for this team to play pretty good basketball for a while now.

BUT the sixers are also 4-12 in games decided by 5 or less points.

That's a very telling stat as this team has blown waaaaay too many games. That's a sign of their youth, but that's also a strength. This team has soo much room to grow.

Jrue Holiday 20, Craig Brackins 21 (#21 overall pick this year), Evan Turner 22, Thad Young 22, Jodie Meeks 22, Hawes 23, Speights 23, Lou Will 24, Iguodala 27....

Who really knows what the future holds for this team? Iggy and Brand may not be here for much longer. But this team now has an identity as a gritty, athletic, defensive-minded squad. I love the way their playing and it's nice to finally enjoy watching sixers games for a change (Eddie Jordan was a nightmare).

but they are a team on a rise.... of course i gotta show some love for my team and throw some highlights in here :).....

Sixers 2010 Highlight Reels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL2PqetRdO4
http

Evan Turner Debut Highlight (shows his true potential IMO)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htb4c_sskzk

Jrue and Evan Mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgrs8qvu_TM

Thaaaat's the issue. The ESPN buys like Stien and Bucher have reported multiple times that scouts and execs around the league are impressed and think the Sixers play harder than any other team. The biggest thing this team is lacking, even moreso than quality shooters, is a guy who can iso and close out games. Currently their best move is giving it to Lou Williams and hoping he can draw a foul (which he is actually very good at, but still). If we are even .500 in those close games we would have a winning record and be ahead of the Knicks.

This team will not get out of the first round, to be sure, but they definitely have an exciting group of players and for the first time in almost a decade, casual fans in Philadelphia give a damn again, which is awesome.

jeter4president
02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Thaaaat's the issue. The ESPN buys like Stien and Bucher have reported multiple times that scouts and execs around the league are impressed and think the Sixers play harder than any other team. The biggest thing this team is lacking, even moreso than quality shooters, is a guy who can iso and close out games. Currently their best move is giving it to Lou Williams and hoping he can draw a foul (which he is actually very good at, but still). If we are even .500 in those close games we would have a winning record and be ahead of the Knicks.

This team will not get out of the first round, to be sure, but they definitely have an exciting group of players and for the first time in almost a decade, casual fans in Philadelphia give a damn again, which is awesome.

this is my biggest issue.

i do think there is an opportunity to beat out the knicks for that 5 spot, then chicago in the first round. they wont win that series, but it wouldnt be a sweep either.

ManRam
02-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I think they do have a ton of talent, and are a pretty solid team. We'll see how they do tonight against Orlando and SA these next two games for them...

JDink24
02-09-2011, 11:24 AM
The Sixers are not built to win this year; they are still a couple years away. However, playing meaningful games down the stretch and then in the playoffs will really help the confidence and development of our young talent. We’re finally on the right track as a franchise now we just have to hope the FO doesn’t **** it up.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Iguodala's assist to turnover ratio. :speechless:

jeter4president
02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
The Sixers are not built to win this year; they are still a couple years away. However, playing meaningful games down the stretch and then in the playoffs will really help the confidence and development of our young talent. We’re finally on the right track as a franchise now we just have to hope the FO doesn’t **** it up.

famous last words from a sixer fan...

Tarheels23
02-09-2011, 11:44 AM
They need a legit Center. Spencer Hawes doesnt count. However, the 6ers are playing great. Collins is doing a great job. Overall they are very athletic and playing solid D. If I'm not mistaken, didnt they take a few games from Orlando in the playoffs recently?

LakersIn5
02-09-2011, 11:54 AM
they need a beast center which can defend at will and be a monster on the offensive end with dunks and putbacks. maybe go for a guy like dwight. i think he would fit the sixers well with the young core.

*im obviously joking. but they serously need someone to defend the other team's bigs. especially after amare's 41 point 17-21 game.

JDink24
02-09-2011, 11:58 AM
famous last words from a sixer fan...

:sigh:

joeboow90
02-09-2011, 12:00 PM
im a knicks fan and the knicks just played back to back against the Sixers so i was watching them a lot recently and they have a pretty good squad. Elton Brand has come back to life a bit and they have some good young players who are onna get better in the future like Evan Turner, Jrue Holiday, thad young, lou williams.

but i think their biggest problem is Iguodala. i dont think they'll ever be a great team with him as the #1 option.

Bornknick73
02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Mediocre team with no shooters. The second half of that means real bad things in the playoffs.

Without coming off as insulting this is a very accurate description. Thier record, like the Knicks is mediocre. But i really like this team. If Evans can become the shooter they need they can be a very dangerous team. I love the energy they play with. Their overall team quickness is off the charts. Watching them play last week was like watching Mayweather Vs Judah. Blinding quickness, frenetic action. The speed and quickness the Sixers possess was very impressive.

Im definitely gonna keep checking the rear view mirror, they are coming on hard. I see bright days in Philly the next few years from all their teams(well maybe not the Flyers)

JDink24
02-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Without coming off as insulting this is a very accurate description. Thier record, like the Knicks is mediocre. But i really like this team. If Evans can become the shooter they need they can be a very dangerous team. I love the energy they play with. Their overall team quickness is off the charts. Watching them play last week was like watching Mayweather Vs Judah. Blinding quickness, frenetic action. The speed and quickness the Sixers possess was very impressive.

Im definitely gonna keep checking the rear view mirror, they are coming on hard. I see bright days in Philly the next few years from all their teams(well maybe not the Flyers)

:confused:

I don't understand, the Flyers may have the brightest future of them all.

Bornknick73
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
:confused:

I don't understand, the Flyers may have the brightest future of them all.

Really? Brighter then the Phillies or Eagles would be a little hard to believe seeing as you dont have Crosby, Ovechkin or one of the Sedin twins. Phillies or Eagles are knocking on the championship door this coming year. The Eagles are actually the current favorite to win the NFC next year and the Phils are the favorites to win it all. Kinda tough seeing the Flyers top that.

But you can accuse me of some ignorance I havent seen the Flyers much this year and thier over all hype hasnt been attention grabbing. Ill try to pay more attention to them next time they are in town to play the Rangers. Either way its gonna be alot easier to live in Philly the next few years.

JDink24
02-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Really? Brighter then the Phillies or Eagles would be a little hard to believe seeing as you dont have Crosby, Ovechkin or one of the Sedin twins. Phillies or Eagles are knocking on the championship door this coming year. The Eagles are actually the current favorite to win the NFC next year and the Phils are the favorites to win it all. Kinda tough seeing the Flyers top that.

But you can accuse me of some ignorance I havent seen the Flyers much this year and thier over all hype hasnt been attention grabbing. Ill try to pay more attention to them next time they are in town to play the Rangers. Either way its gonna be alot easier to live in Philly the next few years.

The Phillies are built to win now and are aging.
The Eagles have a bright future but need to do alot of work on the O-Line and Defense.
The Flyers are stacked with mostly young talent and are currently the best team in the Eastern Conference and only 4 points out in the presidents trophy race with a game in hand.

PhillyFaninLA
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

And they where in the Stanley Cup finals last year. They are not unlike the Sixers, they have promising young team with its best days ahead, only they are 2 or 3 years ahead of the where the Sixers are now.

GeekInThePink
02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
The Phillies are built to win now and are aging.
The Eagles have a bright future but need to do alot of work on the O-Line and Defense.
The Flyers are stacked with mostly young talent and are currently the best team in the Eastern Conference and only 4 points out in the presidents trophy race with a game in hand.

Couldn't agree more, the Flyers have a great young goaltender, ridiculous depth and are one of the top teams in the league, also they went to the Stanley Cup finals last season with a terrible goalie (no offense Flyers fans) In Michael Leighton. They're a GREAT team.

Bornknick73
02-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Oh ok. Like I said a bit of ignorance on my part. Wow I really havent been paying attention. I didnt realize they were doing that well. I usually follow hockey pretty closely but this current Rangers team is a little tough to get comfotable with. Its tough to find a favorite player on this team its kinda hard to relate they have quite a heavy Euro mix now.

Usually when the Flyers have that good of a team its hard not to notice it up here in NYC. Its hard for the Flyers to be that good without the whole east coast knowing. Forgive my ignorance regarding them. And again accept my gracious wishes of luck with those teams, I like alot of what Philly is putting together. Apparently I will add the Flyers to that list of things.

Raph12
02-09-2011, 01:52 PM
We play them tonight on the 2nd of a b2b, if we win, they aren't that good... Especially considering how badly we've played of late.

PhillyFaninLA
02-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Oh ok. Like I said a bit of ignorance on my part. Wow I really havent been paying attention. I didnt realize they were doing that well. I usually follow hockey pretty closely but this current Rangers team is a little tough to get comfotable with. Its tough to find a favorite player on this team its kinda hard to relate they have quite a heavy Euro mix now.

Usually when the Flyers have that good of a team its hard not to notice it up here in NYC. Its hard for the Flyers to be that good without the whole east coast knowing. Forgive my ignorance regarding them. And again accept my gracious wishes of luck with those teams, I like alot of what Philly is putting together. Apparently I will add the Flyers to that list of things.

This team is easy to miss, that's why I put in the links. They are not as flashy as the Lindros Flyers, or as tough as the Clarke Flyers. They are just a good solid team that is easy to miss if you not a fan of them and hockey doesn't get the same press as the other 3 major sports.

pd7631
02-09-2011, 05:06 PM
We play them tonight on the 2nd of a b2b, if we win, they aren't that good... Especially considering how badly we've played of late.

We are also on the second of a back to back, so that's not an excuse.

SeoulBeatz
02-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Sixers win 77-71 over the NBA's best Spurs.

Jrue Holiday with 27, 5, 2

Gotta keep the hype train rollin for my sixers.

justinnum1
02-12-2011, 01:24 AM
Sixdrs keep this up, they will pass NY for 6th

LayZbone
02-12-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm very impressed w/ the Sixers. Still think they'd benefit from a little roster shakeup. Holiday's a keeper though.

shep33
02-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Doug Collins should be coach of the year IMO

bholly
02-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Sixdrs keep this up, they will pass NY for 6th

Knicks are 8-12 this year, Sixers are 12-8. With almost 30 games left and just 1.5 games back I would be really disappointed if we didn't get at least a few games ahead of them.

The BodyGuard °
02-12-2011, 01:37 AM
They're going to beat the Spurs this Friday. Book it.

Good guess, lol

Sixerlover
02-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Yeah the Sixers will probably fufill their name and be the 6th seed this year barring a monumental collapse. I'm just praying ATL passes Chicago and we get them in round 1

:pray:

drobe86
02-12-2011, 03:18 AM
I'll eat crow here, because I thought the Sixeers were one of the worst teams in the NBA. They've really turned it around and are starting to figure it out. The next move is to move Iggy to my Mavs and you guys start rebuilding for the future. I think the sixers are def a playoff team this year though they will make it at the bottom. I don't believe that they will win a series, but they've got something great to build on...

What?
02-12-2011, 04:08 AM
Sixers are going to be the 6th seed imo

TheBatchelor213
02-12-2011, 04:12 AM
man, I been saying this but people disregarding me lol

gbrl
02-12-2011, 04:13 AM
sixers are likely making the playoffs im hoping the pacers as well

abe_froman
02-12-2011, 04:21 AM
Yeah the Sixers will probably fufill their name and be the 6th seed this year barring a monumental collapse. I'm just praying ATL passes Chicago and we get them in round 1

that wouldnt effect seeding,they are in a different div as us.atl needs to beat out orl,mia for top 4 placement

Iron24th
02-12-2011, 04:21 AM
Playing defense always lead to good things,but not sure if they can really scare Miami,Boston,maybe Chicago.

bholly
02-12-2011, 05:16 AM
that wouldnt effect seeding,they are in a different div as us.atl needs to beat out orl,mia for top 4 placement

This is true, good point.

More-Than-Most
02-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Playing defense always lead to good things,but not sure if they can really scare Miami,Boston,maybe Chicago.

Of all the teams we played we play Boston the best. We are 0-2 against them I believe but both games were settled by 4 points or less. We play good teams really well but stink it up against bad teams. We can put fear into Boston or Miami and possibly beat the bulls or Hawks. The thing that keeps us from being actual contenders is our inability to play an entire game. 9 times out of 10 we play great basketball for 3 quarters and find ways to lose come the 4th. Maybe we are starting to turn that corner. Who knows... That being said I prefer them not to risk our future on fools gold. I would still trade away Iggy/Brand if we could at some point because we have little to no shot as an actual title. We can first round upset someone but that's as far as we go.

ElMarroAfamado
02-12-2011, 06:43 AM
its the Spurs....
yes...
The Spurs.

ttam68
02-12-2011, 12:52 PM

They changed it a few years ago to only guarantee a top 4 seed to division winners, not top 3.

http://www.nba.com/features/seedingprimer07.html

Atlanta's the current 4 seed, half a game ahead of the Magic and 2.5 behind Chicago. So if Atlanta passes ChiTown they'd be the 3 seed.

SeoulBeatz
02-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Feel free to check out my new Sixers highlight reel.... think it really exemplifies what this team is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDO-XnscYIE

FNM BOY
02-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Sixers win 77-71 over the NBA's best Spurs.

Jrue Holiday with 27, 5, 2

Gotta keep the hype train rollin for my sixers.

Thats whas poppin bro!!!..VERY BIG WIN FOR US!!! Hope we keep this up!! No all-stars but Collins is putting the TEAM concept on lock!! He got these fellas ballin!! I told the doubters COLLINS IS THE TRUTH!! EXCELLENT HEAD COACH PICK UP!!!...WE JUST GOTTA BE PATIENT AND WE WILL BE RIGHT BACK IN THE MIX...THOSE OTHER OLD TEAMS ABOUT HIT TO ROCK BOTTOM IN A MINUTE!

Durant is hype
02-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Feel free to check out my new Sixers highlight reel.... think it really exemplifies what this team is all about.

Dope! Great job with the video :D

SeoulBeatz
02-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Dope! Great job with the video :D

Much appreciated man!

MTone8788
02-12-2011, 01:27 PM

Nasty video... you always do a great job Seoul

FNM BOY
02-12-2011, 01:28 PM
^u already know seoul..u keep um coming..hot!!!

jeter4president
02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
awesome video dude...we might not have the best team in the NBA, but defintiley the best collection of dunkers.

dodgersuck
02-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I've been impressed with the Sixers, Brand has been playing absolutely out of his mind

SeoulBeatz
02-12-2011, 01:55 PM
^ Thanks man, but I think the Clippers got us by a bit there.... Griffin, Jordan, Gordon is formidable.

cbreezy34
02-13-2011, 01:11 PM
beat the twolves by 20 on the road last night

eugene
02-13-2011, 01:27 PM
agree on the last sentence, they are more of a treat than knicks

nycericanguy
02-13-2011, 01:36 PM
I've been impressed with the Sixers, Brand has been playing absolutely out of his mind

Lets not get carried away, he's averaging 15 & 8 on the season, and over the past 5 games, he's averaging... guess what, 15 & 8. He's also about to turn 32 so I don't think he really fits with PHI's young nucleus.

He's having a good season, but he is still nowhere near the player he used to be. You could pencil him in for 20 & 10 every season before the injuries.

PHI has played much better as of late and it looks like they will make the playoffs at around .500, but even the worst teams go through hot streaks and beat elite teams here and there.

Collins has helped though, I've noticed they play REALLY hard and thats respectable because they won't lose due to being outworked, they are really maximizing their talents.

LebronJamesWest
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
i know im probably crazy here, but i wonder if carmelo would reconsider coming here, either for this trade http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=67rkvzb or this trade http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=47cvo82 with a first round pick as well

LebronJamesWest
02-13-2011, 01:58 PM
if we had a starting 5 of holiday, iggy, anthony, brand, and hawes, with lou williams, thaddeus young, and jodie meeks coming off the bench, wed be a contender imo

bholly
02-13-2011, 04:07 PM
That upgrades our scoring, which would be fine, but it hugely downgrades our defense (if we give up Iggy) and our ability to build for the future (if we do the second one), while in both cases we're still starting Spencer Hawes and have no money to get anyone better. As long as Hawes is starting for us, we aren't going to be a true contender.

Sixerlover
02-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Lets not get carried away, he's averaging 15 & 8 on the season, and over the past 5 games, he's averaging... guess what, 15 & 8. He's also about to turn 32 so I don't think he really fits with PHI's young nucleus.

He's having a good season, but he is still nowhere near the player he used to be. You could pencil him in for 20 & 10 every season before the injuries.

PHI has played much better as of late and it looks like they will make the playoffs at around .500, but even the worst teams go through hot streaks and beat elite teams here and there.

Collins has helped though, I've noticed they play REALLY hard and thats respectable because they won't lose due to being outworked, they are really maximizing their talents.

Interesting

cbreezy34
02-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Keep on rolling... have won both games since the all star break 3 in a row and are 29-29. Coach Collins has to be in the discussion for coach of the year. They are killing bad teams and upsetting good teams.

Lim
02-26-2011, 03:52 PM
they are stuck in the mud for years to come because of ******** management. they are good enough to be in the playoffs every year but not good enough to win it. mini atl hawks. if they can somehow get rid of brand and iggys contracts they will have a bright future

PhillySportFan
02-26-2011, 03:59 PM
they are stuck in the mud for years to come because of ******** management. they are good enough to be in the playoffs every year but not good enough to win it. mini atl hawks. if they can somehow get rid of brand and iggys contracts they will have a bright future

I understand that logic but in my opinion the Hawks kind of live and die with Joe Johnson, Sixers are not like that at all. No player we truly rely on in any game.

bholly
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM

When Brand expires, Jrue will be 22 and ET will be 24. Add a year for Iggy expiring.

I think instead of 'future' what you actually mean is 'immediate future'.

Hustlenomics
03-06-2011, 09:56 PM
back to back triple doubles for Iguodala

Shieldsz
03-06-2011, 10:04 PM
As long as we can snag the 6th seed in the playoffs, I could see a possible upset.

More-Than-Most
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
As long as we can snag the 6th seed in the playoffs, I could see a possible upset.

Agreed. I also think we play pretty good against Boston as well to be honest. Would we upset them? Probably not but we could make it interesting. Our bench is spectacular. 63 points tonight from the bench.

Jewelz0376
03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Philly is a decent team...Collin really has them playing well, but any way you look at it they will be 1 & done..no matter if they are 6th or 7th seed...

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Sixers have been playing pretty good this year for how well they were supposed to do at the beginning of the year. If they can keep Iggy and hope Turner develops well they could be a great team in the future.

JB0B0
03-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Philly has a good cast of role players but lacks a superstar. It'll be tough for them to compete with Miami, Chicago, and NY, teams that have multiple all-stars. I didn't include Boston because their window will be closed within the next 2 years.

Swashcuff
03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
if we had a starting 5 of holiday, iggy, anthony, brand, and hawes, with lou williams, thaddeus young, and jodie meeks coming off the bench, wed be a contender imo

OMG you are a sixer fan? :bang:

We won't contend for anything but the playoffs with Hawes as our starting C. Melo isn't enough. The only single wing player in the league who can make such a big difference is LeBron James.

JB0B0
03-06-2011, 11:03 PM
^Is Hawes that bad? I remember being upset when my Bulls took Noah over Hawes. It's a good thing I'm not a gm.

Swashcuff
03-06-2011, 11:14 PM
^Is Hawes that bad? I remember being upset when my Bulls took Noah over Hawes. It's a good thing I'm not a gm.

He is not horrible but not a starting quality C on a contending team. I mean he's still better than Nenad Kristic IMO because he's better on D but he isn't going to by any means blow you out of the water. I really thought he'd be a consistent 14 and 8 with a quality outside shot and close to 2 blocks a game.

sargon21
03-06-2011, 11:14 PM
I think they're a good young team with potential, and I love Jrue, but they really don't have enough to upset anyone this year. Maybe the Magic, but they can't get a high enough seed to match up with them.

RowanJournalist
03-07-2011, 12:17 AM
I think they're a good young team with potential, and I love Jrue, but they really don't have enough to upset anyone this year. Maybe the Magic, but they can't get a high enough seed to match up with them.

They have enough. People just don't know yet.

bholly
03-07-2011, 02:42 AM

I've been trying not to get too optimistic, but we're 4.5 games back from the 5th seed, with 1 home game left against each of New York and Atlanta, and we have what is probably an easier schedule than either from here on out. In the last 10 games alone we've caught up 4 games on Atlanta, and 2 on New York.

Don't get me wrong, I know the remaining games won't all be like the last 10, and that getting the 5th seed is unlikely - but it's far from a simple 'they can't'. There's a real chance we can.

RowanJournalist
03-07-2011, 03:10 AM
I've been trying not to get too optimistic, but we're 4.5 games back from the 5th seed, with 1 home game left against each of New York and Atlanta, and we have what is probably an easier schedule than either from here on out. In the last 10 games alone we've caught up 4 games on Atlanta, and 2 on New York.

Don't get me wrong, I know the remaining games won't all be like the last 10, and that getting the 5th seed is unlikely - but it's far from a simple 'they can't'. There's a real chance we can.

Could have said it any better.

SeoulBeatz
03-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Let's go Sixers! WOOOOO.
I'm really enjoying seeing this team come around.
Evan Turner came up huge today in a game that might have been his statement game. Numbers weren't huge, 20 points,7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals. But he scored 18 of those points in the 2nd half.
He hit clutch shot's down the stretch and threw down a huge game changing slam at the end of the game.

This team will have a tough time in the playoffs because of our lack of a defensive inside presence but they will make it tough on whoever they play because of our intensity on both sides of the ball and athleticism.

cbreezy34
03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
The Sixers and Knicks are oppisite in a lot of ways. They have the star players we don't, yet were twice is good at defense and we have the best bench in the NBA. It's interesting because everyone says you have to have stars to make a run but everyone also says it's important to play good defense and have a deep team.... will see what happens.

O and Evan Turner is the farthest thing from a bust- people need to actually watch the him and not read David Thorpes laughably bad rookie rankings.

pd7631
03-07-2011, 02:37 PM
They actually did a short segment about the Sixers on First Take today, and interviewed Evan Turner. Good to see a little bit of national recognition for us. We may not have a superstar, but we definitely have the foundation for a great team. Top priority in the offseason will be acquiring a game changing interior defender. If we get that, and with the continued growth of Evan Turner and Jrue Holiday.....we may just have the right makeup to be contenders in the next few years.

Slimsim
03-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Thaddeus young

SeoulBeatz
03-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Thaddeus young

...will be severely overpaid next year. (sadly)

I would love to see thad in a sixers uni next year, but I think someone is going to give him a ton of money because of his age (22) and potential. He is an incredibly efficient scorer and 6th man candidate who creates mismatches whoever he faces, but he is never going to be an all star, just a VERY good role player, 3rd-6th man.

cbreezy34
03-09-2011, 02:35 AM
good times keep rolling... have now won 3 in a row after a 5 game winning streak... beat the Pacers tonight.... 7 players in double figures... Iggy with 16 and 10 assists.

Sixerlover
03-09-2011, 02:44 AM
As a Sixers fan, lets not bump this thread after every mediocre team we beat. If we beat OKC or Boston (Or OKC AND Boston :D) we can bring it back

bedford1829
03-09-2011, 03:12 AM
They get no love. Even sportcenter tonight joked about how little coverage the sixers get. They are a team that gets more and more dangerous with each win as they gain more and more confidence. They have several legit veteran players mixed with some promising young players with plenty of energy.

As previous posters have said, they will defend, they have good chemistry, lots of energy, and a nice mix of youth and veteran leadership. Combine this with an experienced coach and a good fam base and there will be no one who wants to go into Philly come playoff time.

With the right matchup they can definitely pull a 1st round upset. That would however be their ceiling. Lack of experienced depth, the lack of dominant scorer who can guarantee 30 a night against the leagues best and in general a lack of postseason pedigree will prevent them from doing much more than a potential first round upset