PDA

View Full Version : Why the NBA is losing appeal!! (An Honest Opinion)

Nikeman
02-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Take it how you like, but the NBA is the most predictable league out of all of sports!!

Just by looking at a roster, its so easy to predict like 2-3 teams that will win the championship and 90% of educated NBA fans will be right.

The NFL is full of upsets, and in the MLB and NHL, any team can win a 7 game series. It just isn't like that in the NBA. Each year, the NBA analysts can accurately predict the two teams in the finals.

A few select teams, are good every single season while bottom feeders rarely every rise to the top.

I used to be a huge fan of the NBA, and its just losing its appeal, and many of my friends who I used to watch NBA games with stopped watching.

Just wanted to share a few thoughts

h2r09
02-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Because the NBA is a superstar driven league and a talent driven league and generally the best team wins the majority of time. Say what you want about the upsets in the NFL, but the best team is rarely the team who wins the super bowl. its all about luck and in baseball the best team who wins 100+ games can lose 3 games in a row and their season is over.

Id much rather have the nba style because the best teams almost always are the ones there in the end. Much better that way.

tangent12
02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
I'll have to disagree. Maybe I would've been closer to agreeing with you a couple of years ago but not now.

I think this is one of the most interesting seasons the league has seen in a LOOONG while. There are so many dangerous teams and interesting scenarios that could happen, this years playoffs will definitely be exciting and not just a few series but most of them.

You have the curiosity of how the Heat wll actually perform in a playoff series and if they can actually go all the way. Not to mention they are a very vulnerable team = which makes them 10x mores exciting and entertaining to watch. Just imagine a Knicks vs. Heat series!?!? Or a Bulls vs Heat series (The Bulls will probably run and demolish them in embarrassing fashion but im hoping they at least put up a fight).

And you also have the aging yet favorite Celtics with dangerous teams out there like the Knicks, Bulls, Hawks and the unpredictable Magic who can go to war with anyone. I'm not too sure about the Magic because they play like losers sometimes and they love to choke a lot but still you can't ignore that roster.

Then you have the Lakers on the West playing so so and you just have to wonder how they'll do in the playoffs this year. There's the Thunder out there, the Spurs who are playing some of the best basketball they've played in years and don't forget about Dallas. I keep saying that Dallas might surprise a lot of people this year but they love to choke as well so we'll have to see. But just imagine another Mavericks - Spurs series?!

I don't know, I think there are a lot of things to look forward to this season and I think we'll have some of the best and most entertaining playoff series we've seen in a long time.

Nikeman
02-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Because the NBA is a superstar driven league and a talent driven league and generally the best team wins the majority of time. Say what you want about the upsets in the NFL, but the best team is rarely the team who wins the super bowl. its all about luck and in baseball the best team who wins 100+ games can lose 3 games in a row and their season is over.

Id much rather have the nba style because the best teams almost always are the ones there in the end. Much better that way.

Exactly!!

That's why I like those sports!

In the NFL, all the analysts say is garbage, because any team can win! In baseball, the best team can have a poor stretch and get knocked out!

Not the case in the NBA, its so predictable.

sep11ie
02-08-2011, 07:13 PM
I say it's cuz of Monta Ellis.

Nikeman
02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
I'll have to disagree. Maybe I would've been closer to agreeing with you a couple of years ago but not now.

I think this is one of the most interesting seasons the league has seen in a LOOONG while. There are so many dangerous teams and interesting scenarios that could happen, this years playoffs will definitely be exciting and not just a few series but most of them.

You have the curiosity of how the Heat wll actually perform in a playoff series and if they can actually go all the way. Not to mention they are a very vulnerable team = which makes them 10x mores exciting and entertaining to watch. Just imagine a Knicks vs. Heat series!?!? Or a Bulls vs Heat series (The Bulls will probably run and demolish them in embarrassing fashion but im hoping they at least put up a fight).

And you also have the aging yet favorite Celtics with dangerous teams out there like the Knicks, Bulls, Hawks and the unpredictable Magic who can go to war with anyone. I'm not too sure about the Magic because they play like losers sometimes and they love to choke a lot but still you can't ignore that roster.

Then you have the Lakers on the West playing so so and you just have to wonder how they'll do in the playoffs this year. There's the Thunder out there, the Spurs who are playing some of the best basketball they've played in years and don't forget about Dallas. I keep saying that Dallas might surprise a lot of people this year but they love to choke as well so we'll have to see. But just imagine another Mavericks - Spurs series?!

I don't know, I think there are a lot of things to look forward to this season and I think we'll have some of the best and most entertaining playoff series we've seen in a long time.

We are in the regular season bro. There are two teams, named the Lakers and Celtics that have a switch they turn on during the playoffs. The Heat are the team that can give them a true run for their money but I don't think they will get it done their first year, with a weak PG and Center

RZZZA
02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
does anyone else find it ironic that he has a Heat sig?

SteBO
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Exactly!!

That's why I like those sports!

In the NFL, all the analysts say is garbage, because any team can win! In baseball, the best team can have a poor stretch and get knocked out!

Not the case in the NBA, its so predictable.
I understand your feelings bro. But the NBA is still fun and exciting to watch, regardless of how predictable it may be. But to h2r09's point, it is a superstar driven league, and with the talent level getting together, it can get worse. The NBA is still enjoyable though, at least to me.

Nikeman
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Typical Bulls fan trying to turn this into a baiting thread. I wouldn't expect more from you guys on this forum, but I will not fall for your ****.

Thanks for your contribution :)

I still love the NBA, but I and many I talk to feel it is predictable.

Nikeman
02-08-2011, 07:19 PM
I understand your feelings bro. But the NBA is still fun and exciting to watch, regardless of how predictable it may be. But to h2r09's point, it is a superstar driven league, and with the talent level getting together, it can get worse. The NBA is still enjoyable though, at least to me.

Its definitely still an enjoyable sport for me as well. I've played basketball since 8th grade (now 19), and I love the game!

I just wish that there were more surprises in basketball like the other sports.

Slimsim
02-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Because people seem to be ok with LA and Boston dominating. There is more hate for the heats who haven't won anything yet than the 2x defending champions talking about a 3 peat and most fans are probably hoping for the lakers to win.

krazylegz
02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
not only is it the most predictable its the most fixed sport on the planet!!...how people watch the nba anymore is way beyond me...its been obviously fixed for the past 15 years

ManRam
02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Is it a fact that the NBA is losing appeal?

(I predicted a Packer SB win in the pre-season, so is the NFL predictable too ;) )

Atticus Finch

Word for word what popped into my head when I saw it

SteBO
Its definitely still an enjoyable sport for me as well. I've played basketball since 8th grade (now 19), and I love the game!

I just wish that there were more surprises in basketball like the other sports.
Oh OK. More upsets would be in the NBA would cool, just hope it isn't my team.

Nikeman
02-08-2011, 07:22 PM
not only is it the most predictable its the most fixed sport on the planet!!...how people watch the nba anymore is way beyond me...its been obviously fixed for the past 15 years

Forgot to put this in the OP haha!

Idk how you guys can truly say Stern does not favor the larger markets.

KaganRS
02-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Who really predicted Boston out of the East last year ???? common man !!!

RZZZA
02-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Typical Bulls fan trying to turn this into a baiting thread. I wouldn't expect more from you guys on this forum, but I will not fall for your ****.

wah wah, I know, us bulls fans are such jerks.

seriously, you're complaining that the NBA is predictable, yet you're a fan of the team that was widely favored and predicted to win not one championship but several.

ironic? yes.

KaganRS
02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
if the nba is so predictable than lay your money on the 2 teams NikeMan!

D1JM
02-08-2011, 07:28 PM

how is he baiting? you should first try to analyze before you take out ur claws. what Rzzza was probably trying to state was that by top players teaming up with each other, other teams have a less chance of getting a championship.

SteBO
02-08-2011, 07:31 PM
wah wah, I know, us bulls fans are such jerks.

seriously, you're complaining that the NBA is predictable, yet you're a fan of the team that was widely favored and predicted to win not one championship but several.

ironic? yes.

how is he baiting? you should first try to analyze before you take out ur claws. what Rzzza was probably trying to state was that by top players teaming up with each other, other teams have a less chance of getting a championship.
You guys are trying to make this about the Heat, when Nikeman didn't even mention them :shrug: Even before last summers' occurences, there haven't been upsets since GS beat Dallas in the first round. You both sound like you're trying to start trouble, bt I know it wasn't your intent.

Nikeman
02-08-2011, 07:32 PM

I for one did not want LeBron in NY. Even though the Heat have the Big 3, the Celtics are still favored, and rightly should be.

Bricklayer
02-08-2011, 07:33 PM
It's getting to the point where only 3 or 4 teams have a chance at winning a championship. Everybody else is just selling false hope to it's fan base. If the NBA doesn't make some serious changes in the near future it will start to lose credibility as an association.

RZZZA
02-08-2011, 07:34 PM
yeah, the Heat are such under dogs. Come on man...can't take you seriously.

I'd take you seriously if you were a fan of the raptors or the grizzlies or something. But a fan of the heat complaining about predictability in basketball, really?

Nikeman
02-08-2011, 07:35 PM
It's getting to the point where only 3 or 4 teams have a chance at winning a championship. Everybody else is just selling false hope to it's fan base. If the NBA doesn't make some serious changes in the near future it will start to lose credibility as an association.

Thank you! This is what I was trying to get at. Honestly, I'm kinda glad that the Heat joined the Big 3 now, so that the Celtics/Lakers have a run for their money.

SteBO
02-08-2011, 07:36 PM

I'd take you seriously if you were a fan of the raptors or the grizzlies or something. But a fan of the heat complaining about predictability in basketball, really?
What are you talking about? The Heat's main objective wasn't LeBron, it was re-sign Wade and get another player, in this case Bosh. LeBron came here on his own free will, so I dunno what you're getting at. It doesn't matter who you root for. BTW, the Heat are underdogs, huge ones on this site. According to most of you, we don't stand a chance vs. Boston/L.A.

Nikeman
02-08-2011, 07:37 PM

Bro, the Heat haven't done jack **** yet. They are underdogs dude... and they can give the Celtics a run for their $$.

The Heat make it now 3 legit teams that can win. Better than 2 from last season!

Sadds The Gr8
02-08-2011, 07:37 PM
it's true...does anyone really believe that a team other than LA, Boston, or Miami is gonna win?

NYKalltheway
02-08-2011, 07:40 PM
NBA has taken a dive ever since the 2002 Conference Finals (West) imo instead of recover well from the lockout. Then we had the rules change in 2005 that made the games and most of the calls laughable.
That went a bit away since the Celtics Vs Lakers is a classic series. Three years in a row of that was enough to distract people from thinking that the NBA is not as good anymore.

But really Lebron's move with Bosh to join Wade actually have helped the league gain interest but I think it's gonna be costly as there has to be contraction of teams if this is rise of interest is going to be steady.

That's because there's not that much of superstar material, but that makes it better because there are many 2nd tier players that play at a very high level which can make 10-15 teams highly competitive while just 5-10 are not as good (but could beat them once every 2-3 games anyway)

NBA lacks the talent really. So if a team has 2-3 very good players including a superstar, it's automatically a contender. If a team has 1 superstar then it's 1-2 very good players short of becoming a contender, but they reach playoffs anyway.

You can't have parity in a league with 360 gametime roster spaces. Players would rather join teams that have 1-2 very good players rather than sit on one team and wait for the team to rebuild around them. Some teams now don't even have 2 or 1 very good players! Take a few of the worst teams of this season and put their top 2 players in the best performing teams. Would they be considered top 2 players for that team? ;)

I wouldn't want to see teams being contracted but it's actualy the easiest way for the NBA to become competitive again. A lot of cities will have huge issues with that and many jobs will be lost.
Otherwise you impose a hard cap and teams will remain stable for half a decade till a terrific rookie appears... Sounds boring to me.

I know I can talk about contraction since my team will never get contracted, but as I said, it's not something I want to happen. I just see it as the best case scenario for the NBA organization. Just think of the NBA with 6 less teams and a contraction draft taking place with players of great talent being available. It will just make the league far more interesting, but there's gonna be a club of hating towns joining Seattle(which I'm still kinda pissed off on how they got robbed from Oklahoma, that's why I'll never like the Thunder as a franchise even if I really like their roster)

ManRam
02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Teams whose attendance is up this year:

Bulls, Knicks, Jazz, Celtics, Spurs, Warriors, Thunder, Heat, Magic, Clippers, Bobcats, Bucks, Grizzlies, Kings, Nets

Teams whose attendance has changed negligibly (~1%):

Blazers, Cavs, Mavs, Lakers, Wizards, Sixers,

Teams whose attendance has gotten worse:

Pistons, Nuggets, Raptors, Suns, Hawks, Rockets, Hornets, Wolves, Pacers.

Attendance hasn't dropped much for most teams...but it certainly isn't growing at great rates.

The NBA season opener set the record for being the most watched season opener ever...

Only time will tell how the season TV-viewing numbers shape up. I have a feeling they'll be up.

Chronz
02-08-2011, 07:44 PM
If you were to shorten the regular season to 12 games and cut teams down, and play 1 game each series would that make it more exciting?

valade16
02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
It's funny that you guys rip on the thread starter for being a heat fan as if that makes any difference.

I guess only jews can knock nazis, native americans our government, etc...

The fact that he is a heat fan saying this speaks volumes. If it were a fan of the Twolves everyone would chalk it up to him being sore his team sucks, but a heat fan has the luxury of anticipating many championships in the next few years and he still can see the absurd state of the NBA.

It is getting ridiculous, guys defending the NBA saying "this year it's not true" and they actually bring up the HAWKS. :laugh:

yeah, the Hawks have a shot in hell alright.:rolleyes:

ManningToTyree
02-08-2011, 07:49 PM

:hi5:

D1JM
02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
You guys are trying to make this about the Heat, when Nikeman didn't even mention them :shrug: Even before last summers' occurences, there haven't been upsets since GS beat Dallas in the first round. You both sound like you're trying to start trouble, bt I know it wasn't your intent.

i am not trying to make it about the heat. I was trying to give my input on what Rzzza said and its not my fault the heat are a perfect example. The celtics started the whole teaming up thing, and its probably what players want to do from now on.

llemon
02-08-2011, 07:59 PM
To me, the over-shillification of the NBA is killing my interest slowly.

junion
02-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Then don't watch.

kingkenny01
02-08-2011, 08:10 PM
they need a fanchise tag in the NBA

Bornknick73
02-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Let me light this up and ill take a crack at it....

The economy is in the toilet, homelessness is on the rise, people are being forced out of their homes, the unemployment rate is sky high, the amount of children who are living in poverty or have nothing to eat is rising, crime rates are slowly rising. People are down, the country is in a collective state of mental depression.

In times like this people need a James J Braddock. A 1990 NY Giants team. A hero or team they can believe in. Where are the heroes? Where are the inspirational sports heroes? We dont have any. We have grossly over paid NBA Divas who at the first sign of trouble bolt thier towns for greener grasses. The average person just cant get up and go somewhere and make their lives better like these guys can. They cant trade hard times for easier ones. And they certainly cant control their own destinies right now. Its easy to be resentful of the modern athlete.

Unfortunately the hot topic of today is spoiled NBA players and their unwillingness to uplift the teams they represent in a era when times are toughest for Americans. If Tom Brady pulled a Lebron and then Peyton Manning and a few others tried to pull that **** we would be focused on the NFL. And while Lebron was well within his rights to do what he did I feel if he didnt do it in such lean times I feel the effect wouldnt be as severe as it turned out. The backlash over the Decision and the subsequent Melo drama combined with the media frenzy put the American cross hairs on the NBA players. Depressed people in towns across America now have to deal with media fueled stories concerning their own Superstars eventual departure.

Resentment between Americans and thier sports heroes has always been there since King George gave CatFish that first FA contract. Today its at a all time high.

Its not so much the NBA players faults as I feel its how the country is going. People are down, they are depressed, the last thing they want to hear about is how some rich spoiled NBA player is forcing his way here or there while taking his millions and crapping on those same down depressed fans who look to sports to ease the burden of life, even if its in the smallest degree.

If it was MLB or NHL or NFL that had such a reminder of the haves and have nots they would probably be suffering the slight down turn the NBA is experiencing.

This whole Lebron, Bosh, Melo thing just gave the country a focus for their resentment about the current state of the times. Unfortunately its the NBA and its players.

After a few halas on this joint-ski thats my honest opinion. Its not a fact just my theory. Its fun to excercise the the 2 eggs in the frying pan. But like Nancy Reagan said....

JUST SAY NO!!!

TO to the CHI
02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
What are you talking about? The Heat's main objective wasn't LeBron, it was re-sign Wade and get another player, in this case Bosh. LeBron came here on his own free will, so I dunno what you're getting at. It doesn't matter who you root for. BTW, the Heat are underdogs, huge ones on this site. According to most of you, we don't stand a chance vs. Boston/L.A.

What are YOU talking about? Do you really believe that the Heat had no idea that Wade plus two others was an option? That the three stars did not think about teaming up? That the Heat were clearing cap space to sign two others for fun? Let's be clear, both Bosh and LeBron rightly exercised their free will in going to the Heat. Nothing wrong with that move (though the execution left a lot to be desired), but let's not play all innocent and pretend it just feel into place as a fortuitous accident.

Also, people on this site are not indicative of the general public. I for one don't like the Celtics, Lakers or Heat, but give them all (particularly the latter two) a very strong chance of winning it this year. It would be hard to pick another team who could, though I think that the Bulls, Magic, Spurs, and Mavs are part of the discussion -- particularly depending on what happens between now and the trading deadline.

Heater4life
02-08-2011, 08:22 PM
I think contraction is a must in order for this league to become more exciting. The league is predictable because of talent dilution, and players unwillingness to play for small markets. Is there any reason for there to be sub .500 teams in the playoffs in the East? Teams like Minnesota, Toronto, LAC, New York, Cleveland, Atlanta, etc. dont/didnt deserve to spend extend time in basketball purgatory staring unproductive rosters year after year.

Will there always be bottom feeders? Of course; but its not necessary to have a group of elite teams at the top and no competion throughout the remaining 22 teams.

**To those critisizing the OP, just because were Heat fans doesnt mean we dont enjoy competition.

Bornknick73
02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
i am not trying to make it about the heat. I was trying to give my input on what Rzzza said and its not my fault the heat are a perfect example. The celtics started the whole teaming up thing, and its probably what players want to do from now on.

What people dont try to think about is the Celtic situation was about aging stars who represented their teams during the course of their primes and were looking for that one last shot at glory.

While KG is a hot topic these days we cant deny the fact he gave his whole youth to Minnesota. Ray gave his to Seattle. At the end of their careers it is ok to try to team up for a last hurrah. They paid their dues. They spent their entire careers playing hard for their respective team and cities. No one would begrudge them that opportunity.

But then again i guess you cant blame James and Bosh for wanting to avoid just that. Like i said in my previous post, I think it was just a bad time to do it. People are angry, they need to vent. They locked thier focus on those guys and ran with it. People dont want to acknowledge it but it stems from jealousy.

Not jealousy of whos team is better, but the ability to take a hard situation and make it better. Its not something everyone can do right now. And while I didnt like how he went about it I wont be blind enough to not think a majority of it has to do with jealousy and envy.

If this was the early 90s where the coke was flying and everyone was doing well financially I dont think anyone makes the stink about it that they do today.

OMG i cant believe my unbiasness just supported James and Bosh....*shrug* I guess i cant deny it if i feel its the truth.

central2003
02-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Just Like someone said in a previous post, ever since the 2002 western conference finals the NBA has lost some of its credibility. Everyone know whether they like it or not that The Kings were the best team and should have won it all that year, but NBA was too focused on building a Lakers Dynasty with all media coverage of a 3 peat.

The NBA needs a new commissioner, needs to change some of its stupid rules that it has in place, and needs to regulate on where the stars want to go play, so that even the smaller markets have a chance to land stars, also lastly The NBA Draft lottery system needs to be changed because to me it always seems like the same teams win the lottery over and over. The way I see some of the teams that have young talent and that actually have a chance to be contenders in 3-4 years so there is some hope and change of the same repetitive teams winning it all the time but that is in a perfect world, because usually teams like the Lakers and maybe even Boston always some how manage to get back on the top.

hyb152
02-08-2011, 08:28 PM
It lost a ton of appeal after the rigged game between the kings and lakers 9 years ago. It's gradually decreased since then because people know it's rigged.

Jewelz0376
02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I'll be honest...I think race plays an issue in why the nba isn't as popular as mlb or the nfl...Majority of the country is white...There aren't too many white american players in the nba....Compare that to baseball where there are tons of good white players...and even in the nfl most of the qbs are white and there are plenty of good white players...

I'm not it has anything to do with people being racist..I'm just saying most of the country being white they can relate more to players in the nfl/mlb than nba...

I'm not saying this is the biggest reason or the only reason, but I think its one of the reasons...

krazylegz
02-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Bench Coach

It lost a ton of appeal after the rigged game between the kings and lakers 9 years ago. It's gradually decreased since then because people know it's rigged.

^^this....

masTOR_shake1
02-08-2011, 08:34 PM

:clap: the nba drains me, i'll always be a raps fan but it seems i can look into the future of my team for the next 5-10 years and i dont see greatness so why bother. i'm not saying its all fixed but it follows a very very familiar script and there are haves and have nots more than even baseball.

krazylegz
02-08-2011, 08:41 PM
i quit watching wrestling and stopped putting my teeth under my pillow when i finally knew it was all fake...thats why i dont watch this silly soap opera anymore:)

NYMetros
02-08-2011, 08:43 PM
The NBA isn't losing appeal, so your enitre premise is wrong.

Mudvayne91
02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
^ it certainly has to me, so your entire premise is wrong.

whitemamba33
02-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Even if your complaint is legitimate, it wouldn't explain why the NBA is "losing appeal". In the last decade, 5 different teams won the NBA championship. In the previous decade, only 4 different teams won the NBA championship. In the previous decade, only 4 teams won. So I don't really think that the league is following the path to be MORE predictable. If I was going to start a thread like this, I'd start with some concrete proof that the NBA is actually losing appeal. But that's just me.

I don't know about you, but when I follow a particular sport I at least want to know that the best team won it all. You can't say that about football. A 16 game season means that team that goes on a short hot streak or has an easier schedule has a great chance of making it to the playoffs. And the Superbowl only being one game means that there could easily be an upset. So not only is it less likely that the best team is going to make it to the superbowl, but the best team in the superbowl might not even win. Kind of takes away the appeal in my eyes. If the NBA is considered predictable, it's because the best teams are winning. I wouldn't want it any other way.

whitemamba33
02-08-2011, 08:51 PM
i quit watching wrestling and stopped putting my teeth under my pillow when i finally knew it was all fake...thats why i dont watch this silly soap opera anymore:)

So Stern made the trade for Gasol? (let's not pretend you didn't edit).

Is your aluminum hat fitting right?

ManOnFire
02-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I'd much rather see a sport where the best team wins as opposed to a sport where a team gets hot or lucky at the end and wins it all. To me that's not an indication of a true champion.

whitemamba33
02-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Stupid teams just make stupid choices. No offense to Toronto fans, but that team is just consistantly mishandled. They continuously shoot themselves in the foot. I think it's kind of silly to say "ya, why don't my raptors ever win" lol. You've had Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Chris Bosh, Marcus Camby, Damon Staudamire...I think the NBA and David Stern has been pretty kind to you.

magichatnumber9
02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
The NBA needs more Kevin Garnett's. Instead of this lovefest ****.

NYMetros
02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
^ it certainly has to me, so your entire premise is wrong.

Perhaps for you it has, but on the whole the NBA has gained popularity of late.

smith&wesson
02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Take it how you like, but the NBA is the most predictable league out of all of sports!!

Just by looking at a roster, its so easy to predict like 2-3 teams that will win the championship and 90% of educated NBA fans will be right.

The NFL is full of upsets, and in the MLB and NHL, any team can win a 7 game series. It just isn't like that in the NBA. Each year, the NBA analysts can accurately predict the two teams in the finals.

A few select teams, are good every single season while bottom feeders rarely every rise to the top.

I used to be a huge fan of the NBA, and its just losing its appeal, and many of my friends who I used to watch NBA games with stopped watching.

the nba is too predictable. its true

would you watch the

celtics vs the cavs ?
lakers vs the 76ers?
heat vs the timber wolves ?
spurs vs the raptors ?
mavs vs the kings ?
magic vs nets ?

no wonder why theres no pro-line in the nba right?

the nba is unbalanced.

great teams
san anotonio
la lakers
miami heat
boston celtics

good teams
chicago
orlando
dallas

bad teams
toronto
milwakee
indiana
new jersey
clevland
sacremento
phillie
charlotte
memphis
detroit

teams in limbo

portland - injuries galore
atlanta - good but not great, not rebuilding, yet not talented enough to win a ship
new york
la clippers

both the knicks and clippers have been the laughing stocks of the nba for years and years. it seems they have finally turned it around but who knows what will happen because they are no where near the top half of each of theyre conferences.

if you ask anyone who pays even a little attention they will tell you about 4 teams that actually have a chance at the ship. LAKERS, HEAT, CELTICS, SPURS maybe the mavs and magic. no acceptions! other teams dont have a chance,

the NBA is too predictable. remember the 90's ??? the bulls or the rockets, no acceptons. 2000's lakers and sanantonio. 2010 and on miami plus who ever else can construct a super team.

NYKalltheway
02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Perhaps having a Final Four like NCAA and the Euroleague would make things more interesting.

Top 2 teams of each conference going all out against each other where just 2 wins = Championship.

Madtown22
02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Hip Hop atmosphere

Arch Stanton
02-08-2011, 09:29 PM
LeBron, Wade, and Bosh are trying to turn the NBA into professional wrestling. They were gonna play for the Globe Trotters if it didn't work out in Miami.

Enemey
02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
2010 Playoffs upsets
(2) Mavs lost to (7) Spurs
(4) Nuggets Lost to (5) Jazz
(1) Cavs lost to (4) Celtics

2009 Playoffs
(1)Cavs lost to (3) Magic
(2) Celtics lost to (3) Magic

2007 Playoffs
(1) Mavs 67-15 lost to (8) Warriors
Cavs upset Pistons

2006 playoffs
Heat upset Mavs in finals
Heat upset Pistons

2004 playoffs
Pistons upset the Lakers in Finals

The NBA is so predictable.

Crackadalic
02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
The NBA is not losing its appeal. Its like watching the WWE except i stop watching that because its fake. The Nba cant possibly be fixed:rolleyes:

herniateddisc
02-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Guaranteed contracts ruin all sports.

commonsense12
02-08-2011, 10:07 PM
The NBA is a superstar driven league. Superstars also get star treatment in terms of officiating. All the stars want to play in big markets to maximize earning potential and on top of that the MLE makes it easier for that to be accomplished. The salary cap in the NBA actually helps keep those teams dominate because of the MLE.

Now all that being said small market teams have a tough time keeping up and thus it takes away prob close to 15-20 teams that can potentially win a ring. Lets be honest the season means nothing for teams like the Celts, Lakers, Mavs, Heat, Bulls, Magic and maybe a few more, but we all know they are making the playoffs and prob playing for a chip. Other teams basically have no chance unless injuries or a crazy trade happens.

Think about the last time you were surprised by a team in the finals?

rhino17
02-08-2011, 10:15 PM
because it is fixed

Bornknick73
02-08-2011, 10:27 PM
If the game was fixed I would think David Stern would have been a little kinder to the Knicks.

ElMarroAfamado
02-08-2011, 10:28 PM

So who is winning the title if it is so predictable......

Nikeman
02-08-2011, 11:08 PM
2010 Playoffs upsets
(2) Mavs lost to (7) Spurs
(4) Nuggets Lost to (5) Jazz
(1) Cavs lost to (4) Celtics

2009 Playoffs
(1)Cavs lost to (3) Magic
(2) Celtics lost to (3) Magic

2007 Playoffs
(1) Mavs 67-15 lost to (8) Warriors
Cavs upset Pistons

2006 playoffs
Heat upset Mavs in finals
Heat upset Pistons

2004 playoffs
Pistons upset the Lakers in Finals

The NBA is so predictable.

The only TRUE upset i see is the Mavs vs Warriors bro

Law25
02-08-2011, 11:56 PM
I for one loves the NBA, and the only time i thought it was fixed was the finals Mavs vs Heat, because i recorded those games because of work hours, and those calls Wade got was embarrassing. Other than that i have been happy with its product for the most part. They let the players play a littel more tough these days (atleast against the Lakers) and i have enjoyeed it. The reffs needs serious help but so does the NFL reffs. Players still have to put the ball in the hole , make the right pass, and play D. No one else can do that for them. Granted some calls break momentum, but player should be more mental tough then. And if i recall the 2002 WCF was an physical series and the reffs swallowed their whistle on an lot of calls like in one of the games Webber set an extremly noticable illegal pick on Fish that left Bibby open for an wide open game winner.Calls were bad all series and if the reffs extended that series than i thank them because the Sacked Queens would have been swepted.

blahblahyoutoo
02-08-2011, 11:58 PM
here are some other reasons.

the main reason is you have a bunch of overpaid, overgrown babies whining about not making enough money to feed they kizz. then when they can't win, they'll ***** and whine some more and then collude in the off season to team up with their other superstar buddies.

the average ticket price is too high for the casual fan. good seats at good games are bid up sky high by companies looking to wine and dine their clients, which in turn drives up the prices of what used to be attainable seats for Joe 6pack.

and if you can somehow save enough money to bring your family of 4 to a game, you can forget about feeding them because a soda at the concession stands is $5.