PDA

View Full Version : Which would help the NBA more: improved player development or a strict salary cap?

jeter 2
02-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Strict Salary Cap
Advantage:
Everyone gets a fair playing field

Improved Player Development: Minor League System or More Time in College
Advantage:
Athletes have more time honing their skills at lower levels instead of rushing to the NBA.

If you had to pick one, what would you like to see the NBA do: improve player development or enforce a hard cap(poll attached).

My opinion is that the NBA should focus more on player development. The reason why different teams win every year lately in these sports is that both the NFL and MLB have spent money and/or used the collegiate sports system to develop their young players. The NBA lags far behind the NFL and MLB in terms on developing their young players.

In retrospect, the NBA should increase the age limit to 20 or develop their own farm system. If the NBA increases the age limit to 20, there would be less speculation in the draft process. Thoughts?

Bramaca
02-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I would vote for both. The salary cap I think is necessary in order to keep the league financially healthy. Owners will overspend in order to win for two main reasons. The first being that to make money you have to sell out your arenas, have good support from tv ratings, and get extra revenue from the playoffs. In general this doesn't happen unless you win. Second is that it is just human nature to be competitive. If no regulations are put in place to rein in overspending the players will keep taking advantage of the situation and the owners will keep spending the league into the ground.

As for development of the players I think the league should lower the limit back down to 18 and start a real minor league for the teams to develop the players. That way it would be more like the MLB in terms of development where players have both options (college or pro). Some players develop better in college while others seem to work out better by going to the pros. I personally think that the NBA teams have done a better job developing bigs then college has.

KG21
02-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Increase players development, seeing as teams like Charlotte,Cleveland, Minnesota etc.. are lacking of quality players and if there was a system that would allow players to improve league would be more exciting...But those are all speculations :P

Bluffmasta
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Salary Cap would be the best, you wouldnt have a team like the lakers or knicks of the past spending upwards of 90 million on players. A hard cap would also allow the nba to make some money as well and create a potential balance of all teams. Their will still be teams like the raptors and cavs who will struggle but hopefully you wont see teams like 10-25 games in a row.

LakersIn5
02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
staying in college longer doesnt necesarily mean you will be better than staying for like only 1 year or skipping college.

Raph12
02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
First they should do a redraft... And then enforce "franchise tags" and a "hard cap"

PhillyFaninLA
02-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Improved player development will always make a sport better and more competitive. A hard cap is only the financial rules in which you can operate and has nothing to do with actual on court performance. So better more polished players will make the NBA better than the negations between agent and GM will.

Sandman
02-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't think there's a need to ban high schoolers when its apparent that some of them can and have produced well in the NBA.