PDA

View Full Version : Is the NBA a Four Team Show?

xabial
02-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Do you think a team other then Lakers, Heat, Magic, and Celtics have a chance to pull off an upset and win a championship this year?

redsox0717
02-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Replace the Magic with the Spurs and I might agree, Mavs have a small chance as well

rhino17
02-08-2011, 09:33 AM
How do you leave off the team with the best record in the NBA?

xabial
02-08-2011, 09:36 AM
How do you leave off the team with the best record in the NBA?

I havent heard they were favorites by most people, maybe im wrong.

redsox0717
02-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I havent heard they were favorites by most people, maybe im wrong.

Yet the Magic are? Fail.

LanceUpperCut
02-08-2011, 09:42 AM
I would add OKC, Bulls, Dallas, Spurs I could even see ATL make some noise. I don't think it's nearly as one sided as people act. Lets just hope the refs don't have some secret agenda for certain teams, plus after the trade deadline things could change like a Knicks team with Melo. Some of these teams might not be able to win a title but sure could upset one of the top teams come playoff time.

JordansBulls
02-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Chicago, OKC are just as much contenders as Orlando is.

pebloemer
02-08-2011, 09:52 AM
If you leave off the team with the best record in the NBA, your poll will not accurately reflect the question you are hoping to ask...

ugafan
02-08-2011, 09:57 AM
In the past 30 years, only 8 different teams have won a championship. The NBA is the league with the most disparity and each year there are only 3-5 teams with an actual chance of winning.

Heater4life
02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
The Spurs, Bulls, Thunder, Mavericks all have a shot as well. The most important thing to remember is that the NBA is a game of matchups, at times a team may be more talented but the opposing team might be able to attack there difficiencies with precision. Ex. OKC vs L.A; The Lakers are more talented, but OKC can knock them off.

So the answer is no, its not a 4 team race, there are several other teams with capable talent.

ChiDougie19
02-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Bulls>Magic

todu82
02-08-2011, 10:55 AM
The Spurs have a better chance at winning than the Magic and possibly the Lakers.

JasonJohnHorn
02-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Ok, firstly, you don't even have the Spurs on your list. If there are "4 teams" is Boston, LA, SA and I'd flip a coin over Miami and Orlando.

But there is some very talented teams.

1: Dallas finally has a center than can get double-digit rebounds and play interior defence, and they have a back up that can do about the same, so with defenders like Marion on the wing, and Dirk playing as well as he has, Dallas is a legit contender.

2: Chicago is for real. Their record is just a little behind the the top teams in the east, and they got off to a rough start and have not had a healthy line-up. they have crazy depth in rebounding and one of the best PGs in the league, and they could easily come out on top in the East. Dont forget they pushed Boston to game 7 (yes, without Garnett, but the Bulls didnt have Boozer either).

3: Atlanta has got some amazing defenders, a big man that can pass and has a jumper, depth, youth and veteran leadership. Its a great combo and not one to be underestimated. They can beat just about anybody in the east in a 7 game series if they are playing at their full potential, outside of maybe Boston.

4: Philly. Yeah, I said Philly. They have a new coach, a talented rookie as well as some great young players, and depth and talent can go along way, especially when you are flying under the radar. Question is: Is Doug Collins a good play-off coach? Outside of his time in Chi-town, I don't remember him ever making a playoff run. If Lenny Wilkens, or Jerry Sloan, or Phil Jackson or Pop were coaching this team, I'd be scared to play them in the playoff. I think Collins is an underrated coach, but I dont know how good he is at making adjustments in a seven-game series.

Those are the teams I would not want to play if I was a team with home court, but that's just me. I also think the Pacers are a great team that have been weighed down by a $#!tty coach, so...

justinnum1
02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
miami(20%) la(30%) boston(35%) spurs(15%)-----> only teams with a chance to win it, and i put some % they win it

BrahCake954
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
magic are the most overrated team in the L...
lakers arent doing anything this yr..

boston
miami
chicago

spurs
mavs
okc
lal

lakers will be lucky to make it past the 2nd round

BrahCake954
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Ok, firstly, you don't even have the Spurs on your list. If there are "4 teams" is Boston, LA, SA and I'd flip a coin over Miami and Orlando.

But there is some very talented teams.

1: Dallas finally has a center than can get double-digit rebounds and play interior defence, and they have a back up that can do about the same, so with defenders like Marion on the wing, and Dirk playing as well as he has, Dallas is a legit contender.

2: Chicago is for real. Their record is just a little behind the the top teams in the east, and they got off to a rough start and have not had a healthy line-up. they have crazy depth in rebounding and one of the best PGs in the league, and they could easily come out on top in the East. Dont forget they pushed Boston to game 7 (yes, without Garnett, but the Bulls didnt have Boozer either).

3: Atlanta has got some amazing defenders, a big man that can pass and has a jumper, depth, youth and veteran leadership. Its a great combo and not one to be underestimated. They can beat just about anybody in the east in a 7 game series if they are playing at their full potential, outside of maybe Boston.

4: Philly. Yeah, I said Philly. They have a new coach, a talented rookie as well as some great young players, and depth and talent can go along way, especially when you are flying under the radar. Question is: Is Doug Collins a good play-off coach? Outside of his time in Chi-town, I don't remember him ever making a playoff run. If Lenny Wilkens, or Jerry Sloan, or Phil Jackson or Pop were coaching this team, I'd be scared to play them in the playoff. I think Collins is an underrated coach, but I dont know how good he is at making adjustments in a seven-game series.

Those are the teams I would not want to play if I was a team with home court, but that's just me. I also think the Pacers are a great team that have been weighed down by a $#!tty coach, so...
:facepalm: its time to stop posting

kdspurman
02-08-2011, 11:16 AM
miami(20%) la(30%) boston(35%) spurs(15%)-----> only teams with a chance to win it, and i put some % they win it

Just out of curiosity what is the reason miami at this point in time are higher than the spurs? just curious to your reasoning. I understand LA and boston no argument there.

PhillyFaninLA
02-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Spurs do and make this topic again after the trade deadline

Bravo95
02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Heat and I'll also include the Mavs. Every other team is at least one deal away.

tangent12
02-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Replace the Heat with the Bulls and then I'll stop laughing at your thread..

Bullsfan22
02-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Right now it's Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Heat. The Magics have taken a step back they've recently lost against upper echelon teams in the east. While they are a talented they're not any better than the second tier teams like OKC and Bulls.

ManRam
02-08-2011, 12:18 PM
The Big Four has to be Boston, Miami, LA and San Antonio.

I do think Dallas, Orlando, Chicago and maybe OKC (not really though) could beat any of those teams in a 7 game series if a lot of things go right. Stranger things have happened.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-08-2011, 12:21 PM
No spurs lol

hide your kids hide your wife 210Don is going nuts.

Baller1
02-08-2011, 12:22 PM
OKC and Chicago are in similar positions in their respective conferences. There are clearly teams that are just, simply put, better overall. However, they're both extremely young and dangerous with just one deal needed to put them over the top.

I can say pretty confidently that I don't think any of the top tiered teams want to see either Chicago or OKC in the playoffs.

JayTee1981
02-08-2011, 12:35 PM
No Spurs :facepalm:

the team with the best record and has beaten the Lakers twice this year

EPIC FAIL!!!!

ragee
02-08-2011, 12:52 PM
How can you forget about the Spurs? They are ahead of the pack by great margin... I would rather have my team face the Celts, the Heat or the Lakers rather than the Spurs...

pebloemer
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
The Big Four has to be Boston, Miami, LA and San Antonio.

I do think Dallas, Orlando, Chicago and maybe OKC (not really though) could beat any of those teams in a 7 game series if a lot of things go right. Stranger things have happened.

Those would definitely be the big 4 in my books too.

Tier 1: Boston, Miami, LA, SA (legit contenders)
Tier 2: Dallas, Orlando, Chicago (definitely a chance)
Tier 3: Atlanta, OKC, NO, Utah, Denver (dark horses)

People can definitely argue between tiers, this is just my opinion. All of these teams have a chance if things come together for the playoffs. It has been tough in Utah lately and I really don't see Denver overcoming all the Melo drama, but come playoff time, they have the game changers to make some noise.

But if there is a 4 team show, the tier 1 teams make it up.

JayTee1981
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
How can you forget about the Spurs? They are ahead of the pack by great margin... I would rather have my team face the Celts, the Heat or the Lakers rather than the Spurs...

I like it when Mav Fans make sense ...I wish every Mavs Fan was like you man :clap:

Tarheels23
02-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Celtics
Spurs
Lakers
Heat

Mavericks
Magic

ManRam
02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Those would definitely be the big 4 in my books too.

Tier 1: Boston, Miami, LA, SA (legit contenders)
Tier 2: Dallas, Orlando, Chicago (definitely a chance)
Tier 3: Atlanta, OKC, NO, Utah, Denver (dark horses)

People can definitely argue between tiers, this is just my opinion. All of these teams have a chance if things come together for the playoffs. It has been tough in Utah lately and I really don't see Denver overcoming all the Melo drama, but come playoff time, they have the game changers to make some noise.

But if there is a 4 team show, the tier 1 teams make it up.

I agree with those tiers 100%. I'd, as of now, put Boston and SA at tier 1A, and LA and Miami at 1B...but I think all four could win it all equally as easily eventually. Boston and SA are just playing a bit better basketball right now.

faze38
02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Why do I see people counting the Lakers out last time I checked the Celtics played like crap in the regular season and proved to be the best team in the East in the Post season I think to many people think that Veteran teams really care about the Regular season because honestly they could care less. Also I think some of you hit it on the head when u said the NBA is a game of matchups because if the Suns sill had Amare they the Spurs wouldn't have a chance at a title because they would be taken out by them again but without them there they def have a very strong chance of winning it all but the road to the Championship still goes thru LA even if they don't have home court.

To steal someone elses Idea! %

Lakers- 25% They are the two time defending champs for a reason they know what it takes to win and will be ready come playoff time.

Celtics- 25% They want revenge and have the depth and talent to win it all so they share the same chances as the Lakers.

Spurs- 15% Former Champs that know how to get it done and have a genius coach that has adjusted his system to make them a potent offense that can battle with the best and their floor leader Duncan is no rookie to big moments and can be the Anchor to another Chamionship run! Easily heads above every team in the league except fot the Celtics and Lakers!

Heat- 10% Two of the best players in the league but lack of an inside D presence will hurt them against the Celtics and possibly the Magic if Stan gets his head out of his *** and tells his team to keep givig the ball to Howard until they stop it.

Magic- 10% Still building chemistry and have a player in Gilbert that if he can get it together will be the missing piece for the Magic and alongside Howard can win a ring!

Bulls- 10% They are playing well without Noah but once he comes back people shouldn't be surprised if they can ride their D to a ring but we still have to see the finished prodect before we but them in another bracket

Melo- 5%

With Nuggets
If he stays with the Nuggets they are the Darkhorse of the league because a healthy Nuggets team has the Depth and length at big men to compete with the two fav but they have to get focused and show their talent an most imporatantly stay healthy.

With Mavs
If he goes to the Mavs he will easily make that team Championship capable because Melo and Dirk together are a scary unstoppable combo but that all depends on Cuban with out Melo Mavs have no chance this year beause of the injury to Butler! Also his chances will raise to 10% U can take the % from the Spurs, Bulls, Magic and Heat!

With Knicks
If he goes to the Knicks and they get hot they can beat anybody but much like the Heat the lack of an inside D presence will hurt them unless Mosgov can some how put it together and make a real impact.

Thunder- Lack of big men will kill them again against The Lakers or Spurs!

justinnum1
02-08-2011, 01:05 PM
replace the heat with the bulls and then i'll stop laughing at your thread..

lmao

goeatfish63
02-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Replace the Heat with the Bulls and then I'll stop laughing at your thread..

lmao x2

pebloemer
02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
lmao

Love the sig. Bosh was always such a fitting Raptor by his appearance. Certainly looks true to the part.

I agree with those tiers 100%. I'd, as of now, put Boston and SA at tier 1A, and LA and Miami at 1B...but I think all four could win it all equally as easily eventually. Boston and SA are just playing a bit better basketball right now.

The only hard choices for me there was Atlanta and OKC because they are playing good basketball. But the lack of size bumps them down slightly below the Tier 2 teams. I agree on the 1A and 1B based on how the teams are playing now, but I can't look back the talent and reputation of Miami and LA to separate them from the contenders that are playing better. At least not this early. We'll see how trade deadline and the stretch run shakes things up.

Baller1
02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm confused as to how Orlando is considered a tier higher than OKC.

Can someone provide me with their reasoning?

pebloemer
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Lack of a consistent inside presence. I can't remember the last team that had sustained playoff success without a consistent big man. Jeff Green is more perimeter oriented and while Ibaka scores efficiently and can be an intimidator in the paint, he isn't the same type of impact player as Howard, Boozer, Noah, Chandler, Dirk, etc.

But it is of course arguable. As I stated it is only my opinion. It certainly doesn't mean they can't win, just that they have an additional hurdle to overcome.

Tarheels23
02-08-2011, 01:44 PM

OKC does no have inside size, rebounding and post defense. The Magic have all of that combined with a good coach, postseason/finals experience, and 3pt shooting.

Baller1
02-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Lack of a consistent inside presence. I can't remember the last team that had sustained playoff success without a consistent big man. Jeff Green is more perimeter oriented and while Ibaka scores efficiently and can be an intimidator in the paint, he isn't the same type of impact player as Howard, Boozer, Nash, Chandler, Dirk, etc.

But it is of course arguable. As I stated it is only my opinion. It certainly doesn't mean they can't win, just that they have an additional hurdle to overcome.

OKC does no have inside size, rebounding and post defense. The Magic have all of that combined with a good coach, postseason/finals experience, and 3pt shooting.

Fair enough. I have nothing against the Magic, I just wasn't sure why it was so unanimous as to them being a better team.

ManRam
02-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Strictly based on this season, I think they have to be on the same tier. But Orlando has made deeper runs the last few years...and really aren't playing up to their potential. I guess we're more proven :shrug: We're in the midst of a team-wide shooting slump. I think a lot of people worry about OKC's defense and big men. Orlando doesn't have either of those problems as much. We just can't shoot the ball into the hoop right now, it's as simple as that.

Baller1
02-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Strictly based on this season, I think they have to be on the same tier. But Orlando has made deeper runs the last few years...and really aren't playing up to their potential. I guess we're more proven :shrug: We're in the midst of a team-wide shooting slump. I think a lot of people worry about OKC's defense and big men. Orlando doesn't have either of those problems as much. We just can't shoot the ball into the hoop right now, it's as simple as that.

I agree. As soon as I posted that question, I kinda answered it myself.

You're right though, I guess I was more referring to this season alone. In that regard, I don't see an argument for Orlando being superior to OKC. As for the grand scheme of things, yes, Orlando has earned their stripes and I would consider them a better team than OKC.

ManRam
02-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I agree. As soon as I posted that question, I kinda answered it myself.

You're right though, I guess I was more referring to this season alone. In that regard, I don't see an argument for Orlando being superior to OKC. As for the grand scheme of things, yes, Orlando has earned their stripes and I would consider them a better team than OKC.

I think your beef is legit...but I also do understand why Orlando is a tier 2 and OKC a tier 3. It's splitting hairs at that point.

godolphins
02-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Replace the Heat with the Bulls and then I'll stop laughing at your thread.. :laugh:

You think the Bulls have a better shot than Miami

:laugh:

Thanks for the laugh

Sadds The Gr8
02-08-2011, 02:13 PM
no, and i don't understand why the Magic are in that category. I don't think they'd have chance vs Miami, Boston, LA.

210Don
02-08-2011, 03:13 PM
No spurs lol

hide your kids hide your wife 210Don is going nuts.

:sad2:

shizzle09
02-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Spurs and Bulls would say no.

NYKalltheway
02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
I voted the 2nd but there's like 6 teams, not 4.

Fnom11
02-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Heat Spurs Lakers Celtics Bulls Mavs, thunder have no chance man. They really are fake contenders atm.

Sickô
02-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Man when the playoffs come around anything can happen

Sickô
02-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Remember Golden State.

Sickô
02-08-2011, 05:29 PM
The NBA where amazing and anything can happen.

Gators123
02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
5 team show. I would add the Spurs.

Muttman73
02-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Must add Spurs and Bulls

Sickô
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM

You think the Bulls have a better shot than Miami

Thanks for the laugh

BullsFans

jim51990
02-08-2011, 05:41 PM
there is a small group that can
celtics, heat , lakers, spurs, mavs
then
chicago, okc, and the magic are solid teams but have no shot at winning it all

DRose7
02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Honestly the Mavs and the Spurs are the only teams in the West I can see coming out, people are really overrating the Lakers (they do deserve it tho, after winning 2/3 chips) but they are terrible this year, dont see em making it past the 2nd rd...

Mavs would beat SA in a game 7 series...only concern for em is they need to trade to get rid of dead/uncertain weight aka injured caron butler, roddy and haywood -- I think those players have good trade value and could give mavs a great player in return...just not a fan on relying on injuried players...and haywood :facepalm: ever since he got that dough and lost his starting position hes been trash

Barring injury, the celts are the only team I can see making finals from the east...MIA lacks the depth, and size downlow...Chicago needs a fukkin good SG to be a real threat...and the Magic, all depends if gilbert can be beast, need another backup center too