PDA

View Full Version : Is Blake Griffin going to be a clutch player

Clippersfan86
02-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Ok so I know tons of Blake threads flood forums so wanted to ask a different question. Is Blake Griffin going to become that killer in the clutch? Reason I ask is because recently in a few games.. he's demanding the ball and making huge shots. 2 games ago.. down 1 vs the Hawks with like 30 seconds left.. he yells for the ball... Josh Smith guarding him.. backs him down all the way and swishes a hook shot to give Clippers 1 point lead. Then I remember a couple games where he's scored other clutch shots like vs Miami when they made a run in the end and Blake sealed the game.

Then vs Milwaukee... he had multiple clutch plays like diving out of bounds to save a loose ball that led to a 3 point player on other end to put Clippers up 5 right after he scored 6 in a row with 2 minutes left in game. Lastly this is a play I remember that was beyond clutch.. After this 3... He grabs 2 clutch rebounds including a tip out almost to halfcourt that caused the game clock to expire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTnDJTcl4pw

LTBaByyy
02-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I think Eric Gordon is going to be taking the clutch shots.

Just how like Dirk is our superstar but Terry takes the 4th quarter shots

Clippersfan86
02-07-2011, 11:48 PM
I think Eric Gordon is going to be taking the clutch shots.

Just how like Dirk is our superstar but Terry takes the 4th quarter shots

I see what you mean. I think for a while will be that way... but I honestly think in his prime.. Blake is going to take all the last shots. Dude is SUPER SUPER competitive. I don't see him giving up the ball later in his career when the game is on the line.

Clippersfan86
02-07-2011, 11:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4vMRyQswA

This video... the part where he says I will never at any point back down from anyone in my career.. is what tells me this guy will be a legend. He doesn't care who you are he's going 110 percent. Which is why I think his clutch will improve.. it will be driven by the refuse to lose attitude. I love how he's already gotten into 5 or 6 altercations with established vets. Dude is fierce.

knicks4life33
02-07-2011, 11:58 PM
ummm kinda early for that lol

Raph12
02-08-2011, 12:01 AM
With his FT shooting ability, or lack there of I should say... Nope.

Avenged
Way too early to compare him to the all-time greats, guys barely a rookie.

Clippersfan86
ummm kinda early for that lol

I'm asking if he will become a clutch player.. what's early? He's shown flashes.

Clippersfan86
02-08-2011, 12:02 AM
With his FT shooting ability, or lack there of I should say... Nope.

He shot 69% in January which is really good for a rookie bigman who's a poor free throw shooter. He will be around 70% by season end which is a very solid percentage for a rookie big.

Clippersfan86
02-08-2011, 12:04 AM
I should of known people would get caught up on my comment about his fire being on the level of guys like Bird. I edited it out so people stay on topic. Will be become a clutch player? We all know how competitive he is.. and how he goes 110 percent all the time. I've already seen him make quite a few clutch plays in the first 50 games of his career.

Raph12
02-08-2011, 12:08 AM
He shot 69% in January which is really good for a rookie bigman who's a poor free throw shooter. He will be around 70% by season end which is a very solid percentage for a rookie big.

Dwight shot 67% in his rookie season... You never know.

Tonji10
02-08-2011, 12:18 AM
I think he can become a clutch player later in his career. Perhaps even sooner. I remember seeing Bosh hit some big shots late down in the game, around his like 2nd and 3rd year. So If he (Bosh) can pull that off, then I'm sure Blake could equally become as clutch, if not clutcher (if that's even a word).

Clippersfan86
02-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Dwight shot 67% in his rookie season... You never know.

Fair enough... but compare their form man. Dwight has a hideous stroke while Blake has nice form on his shot for a big. Blake is more likely to become a better all around shooter, perimeter shooter and FT shooter than Dwight no doubt.

Clippersfan86
02-08-2011, 12:22 AM
I think he can become a clutch player later in his career. Perhaps even sooner. I remember seeing Bosh hit some big shots late down in the game, around his like 2nd and 3rd year. So If he (Bosh) can pull that off, then I'm sure Blake could equally become as clutch, if not clutcher (if that's even a word).

Yea Bosh has hit some clutch 3's and jumpers for game winners. I don't remember having that not gonna let us lose fire and demanding ball though. With him I think it was just them going to their only scorer LOL.

Fnom11
02-08-2011, 12:29 AM
a PF with no post game and cant shoot wont be clutch.

I mean we could just foul him and win?

Clippersfan86
02-08-2011, 12:31 AM
a PF with no post game and cant shoot wont be clutch.

I mean we could just foul him and win?

LOL. Blake has an EXCELLENT post game. It's one of the biggest things opposing coaches compliment him for dude. You don't average 14+ points in the paint a game for 2nd best in the league without a good post game. Even with nonstop doubles and triples like Dwight faces.. Blake scores in the post efficiently. He's a rookie big.. He's not going to shoot well from the perimeter right away...... Takes time. He's like 6-11 on the year for 3's.....

Fnom11
02-08-2011, 12:36 AM
LOL. Blake has an EXCELLENT post game. It's one of the biggest things opposing coaches compliment him for dude. You don't average 14+ points in the paint a game for 2nd best in the league without a good post game. Even with nonstop doubles and triples like Dwight faces.. Blake scores in the post efficiently. He's a rookie big.. He's not going to shoot well from the perimeter right away...... Takes time. He's like 6-11 on the year for 3's.....

Well his post isnt that bad tbh but his ability to dribble into the post was awful and he forces a lot of bad passes/shots from what I noticed. As a PF the ability to be clutch is very hard because it's nearly impossible to create your own shot in the post/wing because of lack of handles. He may have decent handles for a PF(I don't know) but he'll never have enough to take someone of the dirbble

Clippersfan86
02-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Well his post isnt that bad tbh but his ability to dribble into the post was awful and he forces a lot of bad passes/shots from what I noticed. As a PF the ability to be clutch is very hard because it's nearly impossible to create your own shot in the post/wing because of lack of handles. He may have decent handles for a PF(I don't know) but he'll never have enough to take someone of the dirbble

I won't judge you as if you watch every Clippers game but I respectfully disagree man. Blake has really nice handles and passes for a big! Ask anyone who's watched him extensively. I think I mean Tim Duncan clutch.. where you can dump it down low and tell him to get you a basket... or him diving for loose balls etc. Or get a clutch rebound you know? I don't mean dribbling down the clock, breaking people down off the dribble and scoring etc.

Watch these two short clips and tell me what you think of his ball handling. This is just one example. He does this all the time. In fact.. he's crossed a few people over and put spin moves on people this year.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thecalminsanity?blend=2&ob=1#p/a/u/0/tj8hwadkmXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30yy-5Lpzc

Second video should convince you of his handles man.

Clippersfan86
02-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Oh in case you missed it... quick highlight of his 47 points vs Indiana... which he only had 1 dunk this game. So much variety in post scores, midrange jumpers, banks... tip ins.. everything. He's going to have a complete offensive game for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ikcLWYzfo