PDA

View Full Version : Should the Cavaliers have traded LeBron?

NYSpirit1
02-07-2011, 08:54 PM
They could have demanded anyone, from any team, within reason because LeBron's contract was expiring.

And they wouldn't be perhaps the worst team in NBA history now.

They could have asked for Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin from the Clippers and I'm sure the Clippers would have done it.

Similarly, if the Cavs went to the Magic and traded LeBron for Howard, I'm sure the Magic would have done it, as long as LeBron signed an extension.

Instead, the Cavs thought there was great chance LeBron would re-sign and are left with a D-League team.

Baller1
02-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Yes. They should've.

abe_froman
02-07-2011, 08:58 PM
no.

the blame for no lebron in cleveland would be transferred to the f.o. and not to lebron,they'd lose out on millions they made from lebrom merchandise and playoff revenue.trading him rather than letting him walk is a pr nightmare that would never go away...everyone would ignore the circumstances(as they always do)

also no one would have given him that good a return ,no one that you named would be offered,because he wasnt going to sign an extension with anyone

IamKaiserSoze
02-07-2011, 08:59 PM
no.

the blame for no lebron in cleveland would be transferred to the f.o. and not to lebron,they'd lose out on millions they made from lebrom merchandise and playoff revenue

also no one would have given him that good a return ,no one that you named would be offered,because he wasnt going to sign an extension with anyone

nicely done, sir. exactly.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Lebron never mentioned anything about wanting to leave.

So there would have been no reason to trade him.

THINKBLUE15
02-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Lebron should have signed a 6 year contract with the Cavs. Have a PLAYER OPTION AFTER the first year. Basically giving your town one last chance to put a good enough team on the floor. If they show commitment to winning, good. If not, opt out and sign elsewhere.

CarniifeX
02-07-2011, 09:05 PM
No because they thought he might re-sign with them. And I honestly doubt the Clippers would have given Gordon and Griffin.

Hustlenomics
02-07-2011, 09:05 PM
well he did tell them well before hand that he was going to miami so they tried to get as much for him as possible since they were aware of him leaving ..oh wait

Clutch™
02-07-2011, 09:08 PM
They didn't know if he was going to sign or not, but If I was LeBron I wouldn't have told them, since he could get traded to any team and have to get traded to them, but yeah. They should have realized they weren't going to get him some way some how.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Actually they did, cavs got a TPE

LayZbone
02-07-2011, 09:11 PM
no.

the blame for no lebron in cleveland would be transferred to the f.o. and not to lebron,they'd lose out on millions they made from lebrom merchandise and playoff revenue.trading him rather than letting him walk is a pr nightmare that would never go away...everyone would ignore the circumstances(as they always do)

The blame should fall on the F.O. regardless.

Bausman
Lebron should have signed a 6 year contract with the Cavs. Have a PLAYER OPTION AFTER the first year. Basically giving your town one last chance to put a good enough team on the floor. If they show commitment to winning, good. If not, opt out and sign elsewhere.

I like that.

MJ-BULLS
if Lebron would've come out and say that he was heading out of Cleveland. The Cavaliers would've traded him to at least get something in return. it's better to get something than nothing.

Ezio
02-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Actually they did, cavs got a TPE

This

S&T counts as a trade. They should of just ask for Beasley.

Arch Stanton
02-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Yes we should've traded him to somewhere like NJ for Brook Lopez and Devin Harris. Not that it would make a dramatic difference because NJ isn't doing that well but at least we'd have a center and/or more trading pieces for later.

kjoke
02-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Hindsight is 20-20

commonsense12
02-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Here is the thing. If they thought he would have resigned why didnt he do it before his contract was over? It was an epic fail on their behalf. Denver is doing it the right way, either Melo signs an extenstion or they trade him so they are not left with nothing.

Some say well they made playoff revenue last year. So what they are terrible this year and probably for the next few. People do not go to see teams lose. what they made in that playoff revenue they lose 10times more in the next few yrs bybeing bad.

Next if they forced Lebron's hand and said if you dont sign we are trading you so give me a bunch of teams that you want to play for. If he says i only want to play in cleveland well then here is the extension. If not then you start fielding offers. At that point you kind of know which way he is leaning. If he says only Miami well then you know what his intentions were way before the decision. Basically it would have given a peak into what Lebron was thinging.

Personally i figured NY or Miami and i think it became a bit more obvious once Riley started trading away players so no one was under contract. I dont think he had an intentions on going back to cleveland.

Either way they would have got a lot more for Lebron and maybe shed a bad contract or 2.

Bornknick73
02-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Unfortunately the truth would have ruined the conspiracy. Had he told them his intention not to return they wouldnt be on a historic losing streak. Imagine what Cleveland could have gotten for the 2x MVP in a 3 or 4 team deal. Cleveland would be sitting pretty with the millions of combinations and possibilities this would have opened to them. But it didnt happen. He had his plan, he kept it from them and now they are ruined for God knows how many years.

He didnt tell them because he didnt want them to trade him to someplace that would have put a dent in his plan. So a franchise and a city and a loyal fanbase will now suffer.

People compare the Melo situation but at least the guy gave them and idea to prepare for his possible departure and plan accordingly. So he will probably leave them and at least they will get some thing from whoever trades for him. Does he leave them without a franchise player? Yes. Does he leave them devastated with nothing to show for it? Absolutely not. Could the situation been handled better by all parties? Of course but at least they are preparing to recieve some kind of compensation.

In regards to James, if they knew he was leaving damn right they should have traded his ***. What they could have gotten in return would have helped them in the rebuilding process. At the very least they wouldnt be on this historic losing streak. Poor Cavs.

You loved him, supported him, cheered him and worshipped him and in the end he ****ed you like a $2 hooker.

cheetos185
02-07-2011, 10:03 PM
why would cavs trade the best player in the league when lebron didnt even tell them he wasn't coming back it's stupid to blame the cavs when lebron messed around with 5-6 franchises during FA period

hyb152
02-07-2011, 10:05 PM
if Lebron would've come out and say that he was heading out of Cleveland. The Cavaliers would've traded him to at least get something in return. it's better to get something than nothing.

Here's the problem though. Lebron thought Cleveland was gonna make a big trade at the deadline last year to push them over the top and get them a title. Rumors about the cavs getting Amare out the deadline were on fire. There were also big talks about cleveland getting bosh. So lebron was expecting a big piece to be added to his team. In the end, cleveland's horrible front office couldn't get a deal done for bosh or amare. Instead, they settled for Jamison aka a shooting guard trapped in a power foward's body. Jamison was no match for garnett in the playoffs and certainly would not have been a match to pau gasol if cleveland was to make the finals last year. It all falls on cleveland's horrendous management.

JordansBulls
02-07-2011, 10:09 PM
no.

This unless he signed an extension beforehand. Only way I would have made a trade for him without an extension is if I was a team that was a legit contender and only wanted him for a 1 year rental.

AddiX
02-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Here's the problem though. Lebron thought Cleveland was gonna make a big trade at the deadline last year to push them over the top and get them a title. Rumors about the cavs getting Amare out the deadline were on fire. There were also big talks about cleveland getting bosh. So lebron was expecting a big piece to be added to his team. In the end, cleveland's horrible front office couldn't get a deal done for bosh or amare. Instead, they settled for Jamison aka a shooting guard trapped in a power foward's body. Jamison was no match for garnett in the playoffs and certainly would not have been a match to pau gasol if cleveland was to make the finals last year. It all falls on cleveland's horrendous management.

There wasn't one Player on the Cavs Bron didn't ask for. This idea that Cle didn't do enough to satisfy him is crazy. They went after everyone he asked for, gave him coaches he liked, who let him do what he wanted to do, let his friends basically own and operate Cle like they owned it.

In any case, it doesn't matter. The real Bron finally showed himself and hes a piece of trash. If anything that situation showed why you don't give everything to satisfy one player. Look at Orlando now, stuck with Hedo and Arenas until 2014.

Players have gotten way to much control over teams.

Fnom11
02-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Whether he said he was leaving or not, you don't trade your best player who carried you to a 66-16 season and to the Finals. They were still a favorite to win it all last year, and you dont trade a player of Lebrons Caliber anyway.

Fnom11
02-07-2011, 10:24 PM
There wasn't one Player on the Cavs Bron didn't ask for. This idea that Cle didn't do enough to satisfy him is crazy. They went after everyone he asked for, gave him coaches he liked, who let him do what he wanted to do, let his friends basically own and operate Cle like they owned it.

In any case, it doesn't matter. The real Bron finally showed himself and hes a piece of trash. If anything that situation showed why you don't give everything to satisfy one player. Look at Orlando now, stuck with Hedo and Arenas until 2014.

Players have gotten way to much control over teams.

Do you have any proof of this? Because I can make things up and exaggerate too.

DwayneMVPwade
02-07-2011, 10:25 PM
knowing that he was going to leave yes.

Geargo Wallace
02-07-2011, 10:26 PM
They could have demanded anyone, from any team, within reason because LeBron's contract was expiring.

They could have asked for Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin from the Clippers and I'm sure the Clippers would have done it.

Similarly, if the Cavs went to the Magic and traded LeBron for Howard, I'm sure the Magic would have done it, as long as LeBron signed an extension.

Instead, the Cavs thought there was great chance LeBron would re-sign and are left with a D-League team.

Can justify trading the best player in the league, while having the best record in the league by far?

Fnom11
02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
knowing that he was going to leave yes.

you would trade your star player even if your favorites to win in the Finals?

BucktownUSA
02-07-2011, 10:39 PM
If they knew he was going to take his talents to south beach during the offseason i think dan gilbert would have pulled the trigger. it's not like the Cavs knew he was going to leave. heck i thought he was going to the Knicks for sure.

Arch Stanton
02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Cuban on Dan Gilbert's LeBron letter: "Mine would've probably been worse ... some different wording. I probably would've used a worse font."

Wade>You
02-07-2011, 10:51 PM
It's kinda tough to trade your best player / fan favorite when you have the #1 seed and feel like you have a shot at the championship. Not only is it tough, but it's probably the dumbest thing you could do, short of waiving him.

Raph12
02-07-2011, 11:27 PM
No chance the Magic would trade Dwight for Lebron, especially the year after beating them in the ECFs... In hindsight, DUH THEY SHOULD'VE TRADED HIM!!!

ilovemyangel
02-08-2011, 12:53 AM
There's probably no way the Cavaliers then would trade Lebron away. There was still a strong possibility that he might stay. Everything is in hindsight, brother.

Sixerlover
02-08-2011, 01:13 AM
In the moment? And miss out on all of the playoff revenue to be seen as the idiots who got scared and traded Lebron James? No way.

We still didn't know what he was going to do. If they would have traded him in Feb, it would have been seen as one of the worst moves in NBA history. It basically would have been them making a move out of fear

ilovemyangel
02-08-2011, 01:26 AM
In the moment? And miss out on all of the playoff revenue to be seen as the idiots who got scared and traded Lebron James? No way.

We still didn't know what he was going to do. If they would have traded him in Feb, it would have been seen as one of the worst moves in NBA history. It basically would have been them making a move out of fear

And Lebron could capitalize on that and said he always wanted to stay in Cleveland becoz it's his hometown(or near) and he never thought of leaving.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-08-2011, 01:30 AM
i agree 100%...i mean sure if u have one of the best players u want him to stay and u think he will...BBUUTT....yea..that dident happen hahaha so yes they should of traded him.

Lab Rat Robby
02-08-2011, 03:35 AM
the lebron situation sets a precedent. it doesn't matter how good the player is. if he doesn't sign the extension you have to move him before the deadline. playoff revenue, home state factor, mvp, and hindsight all in mind. cavs fans deserve better than a new record losing streak from a team without a legit franchise player.

thekmp211
02-08-2011, 03:50 AM
did they not?

in regards to the question i think is being asked, no. cleveland thought they had a good shot at bringing him back. he clearly was important enough to gamble on.

had they been privy to his desire to leave a la the nuggets and carmelo, then perhaps thats the road they would have went down. who knows?

yangx620
02-08-2011, 03:53 AM
how can they trade lebron james during the midseason when they wanted to win it all, also, if they do a sign and trade, he would they get exactly? chalmers and 4 future first round picks? maybe im exagerrating but yeah,

Sadds The Gr8
02-08-2011, 03:59 AM
these hindsight questions are ridiculous. how was cleveland supposed to know he was leaving? all the indications were that he was gonna stay. they were the best team in the league they weren't gonna trade the best player in the world and just quit on the season when they had a chance at a championship.

barreleffact
02-08-2011, 08:36 AM
This

this and they shouldve traded hickson for amare. idk what they were thinking

Badluck33
02-08-2011, 09:34 AM

that woulda never worked. that idea is horrible. they had plenty of years to put it together. especially going to an already "OFFICIAL" last year.

rapjuicer06
02-08-2011, 10:03 AM
no, i think the cavs are ok with being the worst team in the nba

jetsforever
02-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Really easy to say yes in hindsight but the original post is way off. No way a team trades key members like Dwight Howard or Blake for a player who is just a rental player.

He would have needed to be extended and then traded for that to happen.

SchyGuy11
02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Lebron was planning this stupid "plan" with wade and bosh for years. He should of had the courtesy of telling the Cavs he was going to leave so they could do maybe do something. Instead, they expected to keep Lebron and he blind sides them and goes to south beach. **** Lebron, I hope he never wins a championship.

ChiDougie19
02-08-2011, 10:47 AM
yes!

TO to the CHI
02-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Lots of issues with the question.

1. The Cavs didn't know for sure that Lebron was leaving. He certainly made it appear like Cleveland was in the running.
2. The Cavs thought they had a chance at a title last year and gambled on it. They certainly didn't know that LeBron was going to quit in the second round against Boston and mail it in. Of course, by then it was too late to trade him (beyond a sign and trade).
3. The deals you are proposing would never have happened. Lebron and co. had been planning their "coup" for years and it is highly doubtful he would have considered signing an extension with any team that was trading for him. With that in mind, there is no way that the LA Clippers would have traded Blake or Gordon (let alone both) for half a season of Lebron in a year when they weren't making the playoffs. Similarly, the Magic would never consider dealing Howard for Lebron under those circumstances. The offers would have been there, but they would have been much less enticing and cap relief and first round picks would have been the highlights (which would not have helped this year anyways).

daleja424
02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
This

they didnt want him... neither did the Raps...

Beasley ended up being traded to minnesota for a second round draft pick...

JasonJohnHorn
02-08-2011, 10:55 AM
As amazing as James is, there is NO way I would EVER trade him for Howard!
I'm not saying Howard is better, I'm just saying the type of player Howard is, is harder to come by. How many great SFs are there in the league right now vs. how many great centers.

The Magic have already been to the finals with Dwight, and the conference finals a couple times, there would be no way I give up a dominant center for a SF, even if he is the best player on the planet (sorry, I wouldnt trade Hakeem for Jordan either).

History tells us it is hard to build around a wing player (SG/SF), but it is much easier to build a perenial contender around a dominant center.

As for trading him, hindsight is 20.20. Toronto SHOULD have traded Bosh (LA from what I heard was willing to part with Bynum), but the Cavs should not have traded LBJ, and whatever offers they would have got would have no brough in enough of a return for them.

Now it looks like they would have been better off trading him for a draft pick to Minny, but most people thought LBJ would stay in Cleveland. Its a gamble, they lost, and yeah, looking back they should have taken whatever they could have got, but its not like the Carmelo scene where Denver knows he's not re-signing.

barreleffact
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
you wouldnt trade hakeem for jordn being fully aware of how dominant jordan was??? 6 rings > 2. i could understand if you ddnt have the knowledge but overlooking it is ignorant

Supa
02-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Because Lebron gave them hope that he could resign with the Cavs.

If you're not going to resign, might as well make it clear, instead of having everyone waiting for the "decision".

---

Kenny
02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
They wouldn't of traded him anyways. You can't when you have the best record in the league and you don't want to be known as the guy that traded the best player in the league..

tangent12
02-08-2011, 12:00 PM
A lot of people are saying most teams would've been reluctant to trade for LeBron due to the fact that he was going to be a free agent at the end of the season, but I strongly disagree. I mean, come on, the name alone can make a FO lose their mind and make a regrettable move and it's not like we haven't seen crazy things happen before under less attractive circumstances. Ticket sales would have gone up, media attention, chance that LeBron clicked with that new team and decided to sign with them in the off season, etc etc - At the moment, it would've seem like a very good option for a LOT of teams, specially those who've been in mediocrity or just stuck for the past few years.

So i'm pretty sure Cleveland would've ended up better than they currently did. It's LeBron James and perhaps teams who weren't in the James Sweepstakes would've have thought the best way to be considered and perhaps given a shot was by trading for him and have at least half a season or less to romance him and make him consider them.

Flash3
02-08-2011, 12:12 PM
is it me or has he made the same thread 4 times now......

Dade County
02-08-2011, 12:21 PM

They had 7yrs :facepalm:

well he did tell them well before hand that he was going to miami so they tried to get as much for him as possible since they were aware of him leaving ..oh wait

lol

Dade County
02-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately the truth would have ruined the conspiracy.

LMAO!!! :laugh:

He didnt tell them because he didnt want them to trade him to someplace that would have put a dent in his plan. So a franchise and a city and a loyal fanbase will now suffer.

Ummm... How would it have put "a dent in LBJ plans"? He would have left that team that the Cavs traded him to, and came to Miami.

JayTee1981
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
no.

100% agree ...thanks you saved me 10 minutes of my life :)

JayTee1981
02-08-2011, 12:49 PM
you wouldnt trade hakeem for jordn being fully aware of how dominant jordan was??? 6 rings > 2. i could understand if you ddnt have the knowledge but overlooking it is ignorant

with (Clyde -the second run)......Kenny Smith, Sam Cassell, Vernon Maxell, Otis Thrope and Robert Horry

and no center none of those guys are Pippen, Paxson, Grant and Rodman( second 3 peat)

if you traded Hakeem for Jordan then you would need Pippen as well

Hekeem and Pippen might have been legendary too it goes both ways there buddy.

Steelers23_06
02-08-2011, 01:16 PM
i feel like everyone knew he wasnt going back to cleveland if anyone said they had cleveland in his top 3 destinations they're bugging (i personally thought he was going to the knicks, if not them nets, if not them the clippers...i didnt even have miami lol). especially the way he threw his jersey off after. that just showed me that he was like sorry cleveland im lebron, you need me i dont need you. cleveland should have traded him. they should have been mature about the situation and told lebron look if you wanna leave its cool just tell us so we are not @$$ out in a thorn bush. but instead they just expected him to re-sign i bet. i just wonder what they're sales pitch was for him to stay lol. "we will give the wonderful cast of mo, jj and boobie...and o yea your playing at home. dont worry we haven't won a ring in our franchise history and the city of cleveland hasnt won one since 1964...but we feel you can do it by your self." haha now compare that to "we have your homies wade and bosh already here, we have the spotlight down here, beautiiful weather & women, disney and universal for the fam, proven champion riley to babysit spo, and oh yeah our state has no income taxes so imagine all the money you'll save by establishing florida as your residence".........now tell me how many of you would really pick cleveland?

Flash3
02-08-2011, 04:35 PM
i feel like everyone knew he wasnt going back to cleveland if anyone said they had cleveland in his top 3 destinations they're bugging (i personally thought he was going to the knicks, if not them nets, if not them the clippers...i didnt even have miami lol). especially the way he threw his jersey off after. that just showed me that he was like sorry cleveland im lebron, you need me i dont need you. cleveland should have traded him. they should have been mature about the situation and told lebron look if you wanna leave its cool just tell us so we are not @$$ out in a thorn bush. but instead they just expected him to re-sign i bet. i just wonder what they're sales pitch was for him to stay lol. "we will give the wonderful cast of mo, jj and boobie...and o yea your playing at home. dont worry we haven't won a ring in our franchise history and the city of cleveland hasnt won one since 1964...but we feel you can do it by your self." haha now compare that to "we have your homies wade and bosh already here, we have the spotlight down here, beautiiful weather & women, disney and universal for the fam, proven champion riley to babysit spo, and oh yeah our state has no income taxes so imagine all the money you'll save by establishing florida as your residence".........now tell me how many of you would really pick cleveland?

they just showed slides about "home" akron and all that crap... ny also tried to sell him on the city biggest market,him being a billionaire and global superstar, lebron didnt really care much for it and went to miami

mrblisterdundee
02-08-2011, 05:18 PM
It'd be the same situation as with Carmello Anthony. Few teams would want to sign him, because they know he would skip out. Maybe Los Angeles, New York, Chicago or Miami would have traded for him. That still might have landed Lamar Odom, Wilson Chandler and Danillo Gallinari, Luol Deng and someon else not Noah, or Micheal Beasley - all better than nothing.

barreleffact
02-08-2011, 05:51 PM
with (Clyde -the second run)......Kenny Smith, Sam Cassell, Vernon Maxell, Otis Thrope and Robert Horry

and no center none of those guys are Pippen, Paxson, Grant and Rodman( second 3 peat)

if you traded Hakeem for Jordan then you would need Pippen as well

Hekeem and Pippen might have been legendary too it goes both ways there buddy.

thats a what if scenario. the facts are that jordan won 6 rings and got 6 FMVPs and never lost with HCA. if he never retired it may have been jordan 8 rings or more and Hakeem 0. what ifs dont matter. Jordan's talent was nothing short of legendary.

plus jordan was the only guy in history that was capable and did win w/o a legit center. in fact he beat a legit one in kareem. in the 90s hakeem was among many great bigs.

ElFuturoDeESPN
02-08-2011, 06:43 PM
If they would have demanded Beasley for him I don't know that they would be this bad. They wouldn't be good, that's for sure, but I doubt this 25 game losing streak would be going down.

masalex1205
02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
hindsight is 20/20

nasthemasta
02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
well obviously as of now they should have traded him for a pastrami sandwich

ManningToTyree
02-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Hindsight is 20-20

took the words right out of my mouth. ofcourse they should have, but not knowing he was going to leave prevented that.

Jsoul101
02-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Believe it was mentioned in other thread already but the owner shouldv sold the team
$.$ bron bron drama over time for some melo drama

Sixerlover
02-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Because Lebron gave them hope that he could resign with the Cavs.

If you're not going to resign, might as well make it clear, instead of having everyone waiting for the "decision".

---

Because every free agent to be has the responsibility to let the team know if he isn't going to re-sign. Just like every team has the responsibility to let the player know in advance if he will get traded.

When did people suddenly gain this concept of mutual honesty between team / player? No FA really tells a team what he's doing, just like FO's don't tell players what they have cooking up most times.

BkOriginalOne
02-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Maybe they Should Have.
But, by end of last season of it was a more than 50% chance of him resigning at least to the Cavs.

kArSoN RyDaH
02-09-2011, 12:29 AM
assuming no one knew what he was going to do because he made it seem like he was going to stay they should have kept him.

had he hinted to them he was gonna leave it would have been a whole lot nicer and i dont think anyone would hate lebron.

Sandman
02-09-2011, 12:30 AM
You're the one that started this garbage in the other thread.

They didn't know he was leaving. He didn't tell them until 9:15 on a July evening.

He doesn't have value as an expiring contract and an asset at the same time, its one or the other. Nobody is trading their star player if they know LeBron is about to walk.

And if any team were to get him for a playoff run, they wouldn't be about to trade their star to get him. A team like Dallas isn't go to trade a player like Dirk to rent any player even if its LeBron James.

bovice163
02-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Of course they should have, but they couldn't. I thought it was a well known fact that LeBron left them in the dust last minute, he never mentioned anything about leaving the team.

BrewPackBuckfan
02-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Lebron shouldn't have led the cavs on like he did though he gave them hope or maybe led them to think that he will re-sign with them. But if he was traded I would of sent him to the Suns for Amare only if he would of signed an extension or to the Nuggets for Carmelo.

sunsfan88
02-09-2011, 12:43 AM

And why the hell would he sign the to play with a Howard-less Magic team? So he can team up with Rashard Lewis and Jameer Nelson? ROFL

Cavs without LBJ are probably better than ORL without Howard.

Hangtime
02-09-2011, 12:46 AM
If this was the Carmelo situation then yes they should have but it wasn't and they had the best record in the nba with hopes of him returning.

Arch Stanton
02-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Maybe they Should Have.
But, by end of last season of it was a more than 50% chance of him resigning at least to the Cavs.

There was no chance of him resigning. He, Wade, and Bosh planned this ages ago. LeBron was lying when he went on Larry King and told him Cleveland has a shot.

GodsSon
02-09-2011, 12:49 AM
The answer is simply HELL NO they shouldn't have traded him.

I don't like LeBron at all, but he's the type of player you just simply don't trade for any reason unless he demands he wants out. Had they traded him they would have received even more backlash from the media about how they didn't handle the situation correctly; not to mention trying to sell that to your fans.

To all of those saying they should have traded him, use your head people.

Dade County
02-09-2011, 12:51 AM
There was no chance of him resigning. He, Wade, and Bosh planned this ages ago. LeBron was lying when he went on Larry King and told him Cleveland has a shot.

Even though I agree with you, your wording makes it seem as though it is fact. When me and you don't really know what was going through lBJ mind.

bovice163
02-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Even though I agree with you, your wording makes it seem as though it is fact. When me and you don't really know what was going through lBJ mind.

The way that it went down, I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind that this was planned years ago. Why else would all 3 of their contracts be coming off the books in the same year?

Hangtime
02-09-2011, 01:32 AM
I think it was discussed amongst the three of them but the reality of a team making it actually happen was the issue. The likely hood of three players like them signing max deals and a team taking the risk and making the salaries work out was not going to be a done deal. They all wanted to get paid first, let's be real about that. I think it was one of several options for Lebron.

Arch Stanton
02-09-2011, 12:26 PM
The way that it went down, I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind that this was planned years ago. Why else would all 3 of their contracts be coming off the books in the same year?

Agreed. And even if they tried to trade him they'd be in the situation Denver is in right now

barreleffact
02-09-2011, 02:38 PM

you do realize they were all drafted the same year and they were all on their restricted FA contract still, right? Its common practice to make that last year have a player option. Its an anomoly that anthony didnt, esp w the CBA. His agent screwed him by not realizing that

yankkiller
02-09-2011, 03:11 PM
I believe that they should have for one simple reason it seemed like the cavs where not intending on brining anyone else in to help james, now i belive if the cavs where to go out and sign felton, and bosh, or at least just bosh then james before he made the decision woulda picked cleveland. I totally think he had no intentions on going to the knicks (which woulda been a better team for him anyways)

PG Felton
SG James
SF Gallinari
PF Stoudemire
C Mozgov

G Douglas
G/F Fields
F Chandler
F/C Turiaf

vs

PG Chalmers
SG Wade
SF James
PF Bosh
C Ilgauskas

PG Arroyo
SG House
G/F Jones
SF Miller
F/C Anthony
C Dampier

Overall the knick's are a better team with james then miami, in the back court and front court.

Arch Stanton
02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
you do realize they were all drafted the same year and they were all on their restricted FA contract still, right? Its common practice to make that last year have a player option. Its an anomoly that anthony didnt, esp w the CBA. His agent screwed him by not realizing that

So you don't think there was any planning involved with this? You think they just came up with it on a whim? Even though they're all good friends and have been for years.

gsgs49
02-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Yes we should've traded him to somewhere like NJ for Brook Lopez and Devin Harris. Not that it would make a dramatic difference because NJ isn't doing that well but at least we'd have a center and/or more trading pieces for later.

Yeah cleveland was the best team before the deadline,they should've trade the best player in the world to the worst team before the deadline.A lot of logic :facepalm:

AntiG
02-09-2011, 11:03 PM
No. Cleveland was the best team in the entire league last year during the regular season. They had a legit chance at winning a championship.

The Jokemaker
02-09-2011, 11:54 PM
In hindsight yeah they should have but at the time of course not. The team believed Lebron would be able to win a championship with the moves they'd made and considering they were the best team in the league. If they knew Lebron would mail in the playoffs and have "elbow" problems against the Celtics maybe it'd be a different story.

Kevj77
02-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Not even if they knew he was leaving after the season for sure. They were a legit contender for a championship with Lebron. You have to go for it if you're Cleveland, you'll never get another player of his caliber without landing the number one pick in a year with a once in a generation talent in it. Players like that don't get traded to teams not on their list or sign as a FA with Cleveland

I know they didn't win a title, but that's hindsight. Cleveland had to go for it all.

Arch Stanton
02-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Yeah cleveland was the best team before the deadline,they should've trade the best player in the world to the worst team before the deadline.A lot of logic :facepalm:

I just used NJ as an example. I wasn't saying that was the deal that we missed. Try reading my post before commenting on it.

icej
02-10-2011, 01:23 AM
As amazing as James is, there is NO way I would EVER trade him for Howard!
I'm not saying Howard is better, I'm just saying the type of player Howard is, is harder to come by. How many great SFs are there in the league right now vs. how many great centers.

The Magic have already been to the finals with Dwight, and the conference finals a couple times, there would be no way I give up a dominant center for a SF, even if he is the best player on the planet (sorry, I wouldnt trade Hakeem for Jordan either).

History tells us it is hard to build around a wing player (SG/SF), but it is much easier to build a perenial contender around a dominant center.

As for trading him, hindsight is 20.20. Toronto SHOULD have traded Bosh (LA from what I heard was willing to part with Bynum), but the Cavs should not have traded LBJ, and whatever offers they would have got would have no brough in enough of a return for them.

Now it looks like they would have been better off trading him for a draft pick to Minny, but most people thought LBJ would stay in Cleveland. Its a gamble, they lost, and yeah, looking back they should have taken whatever they could have got, but its not like the Carmelo scene where Denver knows he's not re-signing.

Haha :eyebrow: Hakeem has 2 rings thanks to MJ retiring and he could have had 5 rings if only MJ did not decide to come back, that's how much valuable he is than MJ. Very Good Comparison. :D

Because every free agent to be has the responsibility to let the team know if he isn't going to re-sign. Just like every team has the responsibility to let the player know in advance if he will get traded.

When did people suddenly gain this concept of mutual honesty between team / player? No FA really tells a team what he's doing, just like FO's don't tell players what they have cooking up most times.

LBJ is a F/A with his freedom to choose to leave or stay, the CAVS are just in a lose-lose situation - they couldn't trade their 26 yrs young star whom is considered one if not the best player today even if they know he is leaving. Everybody including their own fans will crucify them.

The ESPN special was just so dumb, but the Cav's demise actually started when their great FO went all out to get ... Jamison to be LBJ's man in the paint. When Bosh and Amare are in their reach.

I hope Cav's recover soon, then move on and learn from this as the whole league probably has.

ElMarroAfamado
02-10-2011, 02:36 AM
the clippers would have never traded for him if they knew he wasnt going to sign a deal....
and Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin in the East would be scary (well because its the East and they suck) so the Cavs would prob be top 5 with those 2

Arch Stanton
02-10-2011, 02:49 AM
the clippers would have never traded for him if they knew he wasnt going to sign a deal....
and Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin in the East would be scary (well because its the East and they suck) so the Cavs would prob be top 5 with those 2

In hindsight I'd totally take that deal!

gsgs49
02-10-2011, 08:00 AM
I just used NJ as an example. I wasn't saying that was the deal that we missed. Try reading my post before commenting on it.

I know how to read sir and I know that it was an example but it was a bad one.They should've trade him to a team in the playoffs race because he was going to be a rental so only playoffs team would take that risk and try to win it all and convince him to stay.if he was traded toNJ they would not make the playoffs even and he would left them and sign somewhere else.