PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Blake block more shots?

mrblisterdundee
02-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Looking at Blake Griffin's stat line, almost everything is amazing: points (22.9), rebounds (12.7), assists (3.6) and field goal percentage (51.7). Even his steals (.67), 3-point percentage (50), and free throw percentage (60.9) aren't that bad. Blocks (.57) stand out as his lone weakness, which I don't understand. He already doesn't get in foul (2.94) trouble. If you add blocks to Griffin's game, he might as well be a slightly lighter, better-shooting and more versatile version of Dwight Howard.
Griffin's not a terrible defensive player. He can take charges, dive for loose balls and is quick enough to cover any big man (and most small forwards). Is his lack of blocks just part of him becoming a better defensive player over time, or is blocking shots not part of his playing style? It seems like it would be a simple matter for someone at his talent level to block shots and stay out of foul trouble.

redsox0717
02-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Cause blocking requires more anticipation and timing than just pure hops, it is an area that he will get better at the more and more he plays I think.

Gibby
02-06-2011, 05:50 PM
He will get better as he gains more experience. Shot blocking has to do with being a good help defender that is much harder for a young player than man to man d. i dont know if he will be a great shot blocker but he will definately improve.

Fnom11
02-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Put the "one trick pony" option in there.

Chacarron
02-06-2011, 05:55 PM
He needs time, plus he has Deandre next to him to contest everything. I'm sure the Clipps don't want to ask a lot out of him on defense.

dturpin598
02-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I think shot blocking is a pretty unique skill that is very tough to master, he may or may not ever develop that part of his game. However, I would consider 61% free throws a weakness he needs to improve on as well.

dodie53
02-06-2011, 06:08 PM
his FT is his weakness

Chronz
02-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Horrible timing/anticipation + short arms

Hellcrooner
02-06-2011, 08:22 PM
defense is not what he is focused on.

championships
02-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Cause all he can do is dunk.

Crackadalic
02-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Blocking shots isnt all there is to defense. amare blocks around 2.5 blocks a game but at best is a sup par to decent defender. Blake should at least try to block a shot a game since he does have the jumping ability

JRisdabest
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Cuz deandre jordan does the blocking

BkOriginalOne
02-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I was thinking this the other day.
I think it's because while he can jump out the gym, he's not really that quick off of his feet like other shot blockers. He also has average length for his size.
However, if Amare can develop into a 2 block per game player in a D'Antoni offense, that Blake will develop into a 3.0 (Block/Steal Player)

Sly Guy
02-06-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't think he has the ability to jump high enough in the air to block shots with regularity.

Giraffes Rule
02-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Size is more important than athleticism for shot blockers. It's always about timing, but when you're a 7-footer you don't have to be quite as precise with your timing.

Raph12
02-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Two words... Foul trouble.

mrblisterdundee
02-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't think he has the ability to jump high enough in the air to block shots with regularity.

Are you talking about the same Blake Griffin? Is the Griffin you're talking about not one of the highest jumpers in the league?

tbone2171
02-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Maybe cuz he's an overhyped only play offense and dunk the ball player?

Raph12
02-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Why is "doesn't want to get hurt" and get "in foul trouble" in the same option... Two completely different concepts.

arkanian215
02-06-2011, 11:32 PM
And Blake has short arms.

icon1914
02-06-2011, 11:47 PM
He might have crazy hops, but he has short arms... Some of the best blockers have amazing wingspans... Blake does not... In time he might improve this stat... Blocks aren't everything... Isn't JaVale McGee leading the league in blocks???

Rafer17
02-06-2011, 11:59 PM
With his talen and athletism, he will definitely improve in blocking

Lim
02-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Are you talking about the same Blake Griffin? Is the Griffin you're talking about not one of the highest jumpers in the league?

u got leveled

baghdadbob
02-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Short Arms.

It is on of the reasons some dumb idiots thought Favors a better prospect than Griffin.

Some smart people (like me) think his is actually a SF in the future as he extends his jumper and improves his release point.

ElMarroAfamado
02-07-2011, 12:23 AM
I have seen him play every game in his career...season and pre season...and this is really frustrating about him. Way too many times his guy beats him goes to the hoop and all he does is put up both of his hands in the air and this does nothing to bother the shot from the other player and they always score.....the only time i have seen him try to block a shot is from the weakside and even thats rare....

i picked the 3rd option because thats the only reason I could think of.....watch him and the two hands in the air thing happens like 99% of the time when his man beats him .....im sure he can block the shots but he doesnt even try...

MacFitz92
02-07-2011, 12:43 AM
His 60 FT% isn't that bad? Ok.

AIRMAR72
02-07-2011, 09:20 AM
because hes not a defensive minded player simple as that

Heatcheck
02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Some smart people (like me) think his is actually a SF in the future as he extends his jumper and improves his release point.

Too slow, cant handle the ball well enough.

He's perfect where he is at, shot blocking is about length (to seperate yourself from the scorer) and timing and anticipation,

Thats why wade is the **** at blocking shots.

kylem4711
02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
he doesn't even try to block shots. it seems like someone told him to hold his hands straight up and dont commit any fouls.

i hardly ever see him do more that than.

kylem4711
02-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Too slow, cant handle the ball well enough.
He's perfect where he is at, shot blocking is about length (to seperate yourself from the scorer) and timing and anticipation,

Thats why wade is the **** at blocking shots.

ha he has pretty good handles for a 4. he wont be a 3 but to say he is slow and cant handle is pretty dumb.

rhino17
02-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Blocked shots are not a great indicator of defense. Guys like Deandre get lots of blocks off weakside help, but he is not a particularly good man defender. As long as Griffin learns to protect the rim, he will be fine, that doesnt mean he will get a lot of blocked shots.

PhillyFaninLA
02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
He can dunk and rebound, he is not a great shot blocker. Its just not a natural skill he possesses. He would have to work hard to learn the timing of it and improve is instincts.

JayTee1981
02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Cause blocking requires more anticipation and timing than just pure hops, it is an area that he will get better at the more and more he plays I think.

agree

magichatnumber9
02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Cause blocking requires more anticipation and timing than just pure hops, it is an area that he will get better at the more and more he plays I think.This

Heatcheck
02-07-2011, 12:04 PM
thats what i meant, slow for a 3.
i would have specified but thats what the quote was for.

Double_R
02-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Horrible timing/anticipation + short arms

This right here... Even though him and Josh Smith have the same size arms.

avrpatsfan
02-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Blocked shots are not a great indicator of defense. Guys like Deandre get lots of blocks off weakside help, but he is not a particularly good man defender. As long as Griffin learns to protect the rim, he will be fine, that doesnt mean he will get a lot of blocked shots.

Agreed.

Klivlend
02-07-2011, 12:57 PM
He might have crazy hops, but he has short arms... Some of the best blockers have amazing wingspans... Blake does not... In time he might improve this stat... Blocks aren't everything... Isn't JaVale McGee leading the league in blocks???

Almost.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/bycategory?cat=Fielding&sort=38

ShockerArt
02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
He's not a lanky, 7-foot center with long arms. He would have to have better anticipation and instincts to make up for that. Plus, as a PF, you don't typically get to camp out in the paint and rack up weak-side blocked shots.

BrahCake954
02-07-2011, 01:28 PM
blocking shots doesnt get ur hype train going on epsn, it doesnt make highlights

dhoops24
02-07-2011, 01:40 PM

True.

John Walls Era
02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
His Ft % is bad. He needs to improve on that rather than blocking shots.

jtsunami
02-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Haven't watched many Clippers games, but when the Clips played the Bulls, Blake looked very uninterested playing off-ball defense. Off-ball/Weakside defense is where you get most of your blocks.

It was really surprising to watch. He's a good on-ball defender, but he wouldn't even attempt to block Rose's lay-ups. It was just one game that I saw so I don't know if that's a common theme with him.

Clippersfan86
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Haven't watched many Clippers games, but when the Clips played the Bulls, Blake looked very uninterested playing off-ball defense. Off-ball/Weakside defense is where you get most of your blocks.

It was really surprising to watch. He's a good on-ball defender, but he wouldn't even attempt to block Rose's lay-ups. It was just one game that I saw so I don't know if that's a common theme with him.

Yea he's a very good, underrated man defender on the ball but help side and interior defense he's very bad right now. He can stay with anyone including Rudy Gay and Lebron on the perimeter.. but once they attack like you said he just stands there and puts his arms up and allows easy baskets. I think he definitely does it to avoid foul trouble. Anyone saying he doesn't have it in him.. or doesn't have the tools I suggest you watch more of his games because he has some vicious blocked shots this year (though not as much as I'd like). BTW go look at Karl Malone block per game averages. I predict at best he will average a little over 1 bpg in his prime. He will be a very very good on ball defender but never a dominant shot blocker. He doesn't have crazy shot blocking instincts or timing.

tredigs
02-07-2011, 08:31 PM

No, this is definitely standard for him. He simply doesn't try to block more than 1-2 shots a game, and often won't attempt to block any. If a player is trying to back him down one v. one, he'll play solid D (and he's not afraid to guard elite SF's on the perimeter). But he just seems uninterested in weakside help. It's something I wish he did more of, although a lot of the time that play can lead to And-1's if you don't know what you're doing. Also, his short arms and propensity to fly around semi-out of control when he does go for it don't help him out. Even if he wanted to, I don't think he would/will be an elite shot-blocker. Though more effort in that facet of the game would be a bonus.

Edit: As for his FT shooting, it has definitely improved since the season began (both style and % wise), and his form is solid minus a small hitch. He'll probably be near 70% by next season.

Chronz
02-07-2011, 08:36 PM
DeAndre is a fine all-around defender, mention Amare and you got a great example.