PDA

View Full Version : Does Orlando regret trading for Gilbert Arenas?

dominater6192
02-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Does Orlando regret trading for Gilbert Arenas? In December Otis Smith made the moves for Hedo, J-Rich, and Arenas. J-Rich and Hedo have been very good additions for Orlando, playing very efficient and good basketball. Arenas, however, has struggled greatly. He is shooting just .364 from the field and .291 from beyond the arc, while committing 2.2 TO's in just under 22 minutes. Meanwhile Orlando's front court has Malik Allen as their back up PF. If Orlando had kept Lewis, they'd have that one extra big man and their front court would be in much better shape. Instead they have a back up PG who is owed $62 million these next three years, not to mention, the money they wasted on their mid level exception from this summer: Chris Duhon, who is seeing just 7.24 MPG in January and has only played in 7 of the Magic's last 18 games. Duhon is a very good back up PG who could put up the same if not better numbers than 8.7PPG 4.0 APG.364 FG% .291 3P% in 22min. The Magic have financially handcuffed themselves for the next three years with this trade and with Dwight's free agency quickly approaching, it could have a huge impact. Had they kept Rashard Lewis for one more year, they would have a 20 million dollar expiring for next year and could have landed a huge piece or draft picks that would make staying in Orlando more appealing for Dwight. This isn't even factoring in the effect his longer contract could have with the new CBA. I haven't watched a lot of the Magic so I can't say I have seen Arenas' impact but I just wanted to know what Magic and other NBA fans think of the move. Will Otis Smith regret this?

geraptor
02-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Use

blanklines.

BALLER R
02-06-2011, 11:13 AM
too early to tell because if he picks it up when it matters(playoffs)..then no one will be looking at his regular season stats

Shkelqim
02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Agree

He's an all star, when it matters he'll perform

ManRam
02-06-2011, 11:30 AM
If his contract wasn't worse than Shard's, there wouldn't be a question about this. But it is worse.

The matter of the fact is that Shard was a waste of space on this team. He wasn't attacking, he wasn't rebounding, he wasn't getting to the line...he just camped behind the arc. Him leaving has allowed Anderson and Bass to get bigger minutes, which is addition by subtraction.

I've never liked Gil, and he's certainly not changing my mind. I hope he gets it going, but I do have some serious doubts.

I don't know why you guys assume he'll be fine in the playoffs. He's never really been a good playoff performer at all...and has only made it passed round 1 once.

Lakers4ItAll
02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Give it more time

macc
02-06-2011, 11:57 AM
It's to early to tell. I think he's an upgrade over Nelson at the PG position. He's just not getting many min right now. Stan Van Gundy rarely gives new players the benefit of the doubt, he makes them work extra hard to earn that starting position, esp over a guy who's been in Orlando so many years.

Losing Lewis gave Anderson and Bass more PT. Anderson is actually similiar Lewis, accept Anderson gets offensive rebounds and is more aggressive. I'm still happy with that trade.

yanksrock
02-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Hold your horses. He's a good player and it will eventually pay off.

Nikeman
02-06-2011, 12:10 PM
He isn't getting PT!

Jameer Nelson is not better than this dude, and they are both score-first mentality, so idk why Gilbert's mins are like 20 a game!

SirDJ
02-06-2011, 12:21 PM
it was a pretty terrible trade from the financial standpoint.. but if gilbert turns it on in the playoffs all will be forgiven.. but when its all said and done, i think theyll end up regreting it

Trace
02-06-2011, 12:32 PM
If his contract wasn't worse than Shard's, there wouldn't be a question about this. But it is worse.

The matter of the fact is that Shard was a waste of space on this team. He wasn't attacking, he wasn't rebounding, he wasn't getting to the line...he just camped behind the arc. Him leaving has allowed Anderson and Bass to get bigger minutes, which is addition by subtraction.

I've never liked Gil, and he's certainly not changing my mind. I hope he gets it going, but I do have some serious doubts.

I don't know why you guys assume he'll be fine in the playoffs. He's never really been a good playoff performer at all...and has only made it passed round 1 once.

How has he not performed? He sank the winning shot against one of the best perimeter defending pgs of this decade.

During 2005-2006, he had 34 ppg 5.3 apg and 5.5 RPG while also contributing 2.2 steals in playoffs on 46.4% shooting and 43.5% from the three.

So "Never" is just too harsh of a word to describe his playoff performances.

Chronz
02-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Arenas is not better than jameer

Fnom11
02-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Nelsion has 0 defense, while Arenas has a little bit.

mrblisterdundee
02-06-2011, 06:00 PM
I say no. Gilbert Arenas might be a mistakenly huge contract, but he has a bigger impact than the other mistakenly huge contract: Rashard Lewis. I don't see enough people on this thread talking about how the trade freed up the power forward position for larger, better-rebounding and post players than Lewis.

SB1
02-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Too early to tell right now. I think they will regret it in the end though.

Chronz
02-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Nelsion has 0 defense, while Arenas has a little bit.

By that logic gilbert has some offense, jameer has alot more

Fnom11
02-06-2011, 06:14 PM
By that logic gilbert has some offense, jameer has alot more

Yes. However the liability that Nelson is on D makes it a bigger problem imo. Especially after watching Rondo completely defecate on him.

NYtilIdie
02-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Well Arenas is already limping and barely could get off the ground today, he hasn't been exactly tearing it up this season anyway. Nelson runs the offense better and his overall game is better then Arenas right now, point blank. They were hoping Arenas would benefit with less PT by being the 6th man, but obviously that isn't the case.

Shard was a waste of space, he wasn't doing nearly half the stuff he's doing in Washington right now, he's rebounding, attacking and yes, posting up, he did none of those things while he was in Orlando. Plus the trade allowed Bass and Anderson to blossom into solid players.

So do I think they regret it? No, the production from Bass and Anderson makes them glad they went through with the trade.

NYtilIdie
02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Yes. However the liability that Nelson is on D makes it a bigger problem imo. Especially after watching Rondo completely defecate on him.

They actually made Arenas guard Daniels and made Nelson guard Rondo because Arenas couldn't keep up with Rondo. He was limping the whole game and couldn't get space or create a shot all game.

aman_13
02-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Considering what Orlando can do overall defensively, Arenas is the bigger liability. Magic can play D, they just couldn't score today. They live too much by the three which is why i never see them as a threat to win it all.

Fnom11
02-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Considering what Orlando can do overall defensively, Arenas is the bigger liability. Magic can play D, they just couldn't score today. They live too much by the three which is why i never see them as a threat to win it all.

Well I meant a healthy Arenas D is far superior than a healthy Nelsons. Well I don't even know if Arenas is hurt but he seems like he is.

Raph12
02-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Unfortunately, the Magic don't have much time to find out, if they get killed in the playoffs (2nd round or worse) and there is a lockout next season... Dwight's out and it's game over.

cheetos185
02-06-2011, 10:40 PM
they will regret it if dwight leaves

Hellcrooner
02-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Areans is just the second worst swindle of the last decade behind AI.

AIRMAR72
02-07-2011, 09:29 AM
it was the wrong move trading rasheed lewis and petrice,gortat all they needed was hedo they shouldve ship vince and nelson

JayTee1981
02-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Give it more time

Agree lets get back to this after the All Star Break at least

Iron24th
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Arenas is a closer,and this is exactly what the Magic needed,so,in playoffs he'll have a chance to prove himself.

SteBO
02-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I still think they should've kept Lewis, bt a guy like Arenas is what they needed. He simply isn't playing well right now, bt I think the main concern for Orlando is their defense. It isn't where it was the last two years, and their perimeter defense isn't good, and hasn't been since Mickael Pietrus(traded) and Matt Barnes left. Plus, Marcin Gortat is gone, so there's no one to back up Howard at C. They look like the Phoenix Suns of the east, just Dwight and a bunch of jump shooters. That's a recipe for a second round exit.

LeonFSU
02-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Does Orlando regret trading for Gilbert Arenas? In December Otis Smith made the moves for Hedo, J-Rich, and Arenas. J-Rich and Hedo have been very good additions for Orlando, playing very efficient and good basketball. Arenas, however, has struggled greatly. He is shooting just .364 from the field and .291 from beyond the arc, while committing 2.2 TO's in just under 22 minutes. Meanwhile Orlando's front court has Malik Allen as their back up PF. If Orlando had kept Lewis, they'd have that one extra big man and their front court would be in much better shape. Instead they have a back up PG who is owed $62 million these next three years, not to mention, the money they wasted on their mid level exception from this summer: Chris Duhon, who is seeing just 7.24 MPG in January and has only played in 7 of the Magic's last 18 games. Duhon is a very good back up PG who could put up the same if not better numbers than 8.7PPG 4.0 APG.364 FG% .291 3P% in 22min. The Magic have financially handcuffed themselves for the next three years with this trade and with Dwight's free agency quickly approaching, it could have a huge impact. Had they kept Rashard Lewis for one more year, they would have a 20 million dollar expiring for next year and could have landed a huge piece or draft picks that would make staying in Orlando more appealing for Dwight. This isn't even factoring in the effect his longer contract could have with the new CBA. I haven't watched a lot of the Magic so I can't say I have seen Arenas' impact but I just wanted to know what Magic and other NBA fans think of the move. Will Otis Smith regret this?

No. I can tell you don't watch Magic games. However, yes the Magic are regretting trading for Arenas right now. Didn't make much sense because Arenas, Richardson, Nelson, Turk, and Dwight -- the five highest paid players on the team, cannot play together -- effectively, at least. Arenas has to improve for the Magic to get better. He can't play with Nelson though because the Magic backcourt would be terribly inadequate on defense, so the Magic's best chance is for Arenas to improve and trade Nelson. Doesn't make much sense. Nelson was good enough.

farren.louis
02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Arenas is not better than jameer WHAT!!!!!!!! jameer nelson i believe is the problem and the reason y they wont win a championship, he vince and lewis i think were there weakest link the trade for gilbert was risky but good gilbert will show up when it matters i guarantee it right now he's playing around

iggypop123
02-07-2011, 05:15 PM
a day after the story comes out dwight will leave for LA or NY? im sure otis is saying " ah sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet" i just messed up.

Sadds The Gr8
02-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Arenas is ****in horrible. Worst contract in the league along with Haywood.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
02-07-2011, 07:45 PM
at least we know the Magic locker room is safe :guns:

:rimshot:

AddiX
02-07-2011, 07:53 PM
I never understood why they took on Gilbert, did they really think he was going to come to Orlando and become a superstar again? They may never get rid of there newly acquired contracts.

I really don't even know how they can bring any new talent in to keep Howard happy either.

IamKaiserSoze
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
one word...paragraphs.

thekmp211
02-07-2011, 10:51 PM
they got arenas for lewis so no, i think getting rid of carter was the bigger mistake. no one they got back is good enough to create and take pressure off dwight. dont want to hear about hedo. richardson is alright but he has struggled and tends to hoist way too many threes at this stage in his career.

arenas could get better, but he looks out of shape and disinterested. i think the magic are in a bit of trouble if he doesn't turn the corner and end up playing something like his old self.

BULLSFAN0810
02-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Arenas is not better than jameer

yes he is...thats why they traded for him....Jameer is done...The only reason why Jameer still starts is because Hibachi's injury that he is still getting over...it takes 2-3 yrs to get your explosiveness back after that type of injury. Next yr he will push Jameer for the Starting spot. and if Hibachi gets in shape before the years over which i doubt but he may,Jameer will hit the pine,because an in shape less explosive Hibachi is still better than Jameer. People forgot Hibachi led the leaugue in dimes at one point which shows he can be a pass 1st guy,and prob a better passer than Jameer. And Hibachi is def a better shooter.