PDA

View Full Version : West vs East

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-06-2011, 02:40 AM
I was wondering why you guys think the Eastern confernece teams struggle so much against the West?

As of today the East is 102-172 against the West. Before the season, everyone thought the gap had closed. What happened? What is the reasoning in your opinion?

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Here is the breakdown of the East teams vs the west record.

Celtics11-6
Knicks 10-13
76'ers 8-8
Nets 7-14
Raptors 5-13
Bulls 14-6
Pacers 7-12
Bucs 6-17
Pistons 7-15
Cavs 1-18
Heat 12-7
Hawks 10-9
Magic 10-9
Bobcats 9-11
Wizards 5-14

footballer2369
02-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Having the Cavs, Wizards, Raptors and Nets does not help.

Problem is the East is REALLY top heavy. The west is more balanced.

marlinsfan24
02-06-2011, 03:27 AM

Celtics11-6
Knicks 10-13
76'ers 8-8
Nets 7-14
Raptors 5-13
Bulls 14-6
Pacers 7-12
Bucs 6-17
Pistons 7-15
Cavs 1-18
Heat 12-7
Hawks 10-9
Magic 10-9
Bobcats 9-11
Wizards 5-14

The bolded 5 teams are the elite teams in the East. Then theres a major drop in the East. That's the main problem IMO. The top 5 of the East could matchup very well with the West, the rest cannot.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-06-2011, 03:34 AM
The bolded 5 teams are the elite teams in the East. Then theres a major drop in the East. That's the main problem IMO. The top 5 of the East could matchup very well with the West, the rest cannot.

I understand that. But even the east top teams winning percentage drops against the West. Celtics 11-6, Heat 12-7, Magic 10-9, and Hawks 10-9 are not exactly matching up very well. Bulls are doing pretty good at 14-6.

I was wondering if style of play might have something to do with it. The west favors offense, and free flowing offense at that. That type of play is favorable in the regular season atmosphere.

I was mainly wondering this because I see the east all star team look so much better than the west all star team. In basketball, stars win games. The teams with the best talent, should win the game.

RZZZA
02-06-2011, 03:39 AM
In basketball, stars win games. The teams with the best talent, should win the game.

man, that kinda makes me sad. Sad thing to say about the state of the game.

Stars win games, and not teams or chemistry or things like that....?

Cubsfan365
02-06-2011, 03:42 AM

Celtics11-6
Knicks 10-13
76'ers 8-8
Nets 7-14
Raptors 5-13
Bulls 14-6
Pacers 7-12
Bucs 6-17
Pistons 7-15
Cavs 1-18
Heat 12-7
Hawks 10-9
Magic 10-9
Bobcats 9-11
Wizards 5-14
Bulls have just dominated, so I'm happy. I can't really give you a good answer.

GoatMilk
02-06-2011, 03:42 AM
west has good teams
only 1 pushover, the wolves, but even they can surprise you

kings suck, but have talent and put up a fight
clips arent easy
w's arent easy
suns arent easy
grizz arent easy

these teams are under 500, but they arent horrible
the rest are just good teams who can beat anyone at any time

Raph12
02-06-2011, 03:58 AM
The West is full of good "season" teams, the only team that could give LA trouble is the Spurs, there are 3 maybe 4 teams in the East with a better chance against LA than anyone from 3-15 out West...

marlinsfan24
02-06-2011, 03:59 AM
The West is full of good "season" teams, the only team that could give LA trouble is the Spurs, there are 3 maybe 4 teams in the East with a better chance against LA than anyone from 3-15 out West...

This! :clap:

PrettyBoyJ
02-06-2011, 04:15 AM
the bottom half of the east suck.. under .500 teams make the playoffs that just says it all

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-06-2011, 11:51 AM
the bottom half of the east suck.. under .500 teams make the playoffs that just says it all

I get that. But I'm also looking at the Heat, Magic, and Hawks record and asking myself, what's going on?

Sixerlover
02-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Sixers doing our part, keeping it nice and .500 against the West

But honestly, Cleveland, Milwaukee and Washington are a combined 12-49 against the West. Kind of skewers the numbers when some teams are just that bad. The top 7 teams currently in the playoffs in the East are 65-52 which isn't bad at all

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-06-2011, 12:44 PM

As much as I would love for that to be true, I can't say it is. The Mavs are very good. So are the thunder. They would be much more trouble then the Hawks.

I don't know if you are looking at the records of the top teams in the east to make that assumption, but if you are, I would not put so much stock in that claim. Especially since we can all agree that those top 5 teams in the east get to feast on the waste that is the rest of that conference. What would the Thunders record be if they got to play east teams 6 through 15, four times a year? That would be 40 games against the worst teams the league has to offer, where they could improve their record, and Durant and Westbrook could put up even better numbers.

JordansBulls
02-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Celtics11-6
Knicks 10-13
76'ers 8-8
Nets 7-14
Raptors 5-13
Bulls 14-6
Pacers 7-12
Bucs 6-17
Pistons 7-15
Cavs 1-18
Heat 12-7
Hawks 10-9
Magic 10-9
Bobcats 9-11
Wizards 5-14

Didn't realize the Bulls had the best record against West out of East teams.

Fnom11
02-06-2011, 05:13 PM
West has 3(Lakers Spurs Mavs) contenders while the East has 4(Mia Orl Bulls Celtics). Seems pretty balanced.

No, the Hawks and Thunder are not contenders.

Fnom11
02-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Btw that whole thing would look a lot more balanced if the cavs weren't 1-18. I mean jesus that's terrible.

LADTXR
02-06-2011, 05:33 PM
The bulls are contenders with noah and not contenders without him. Hawks are not contenders and since the trade the magic are not contenders. Their defense got worse and i'm not convinced they got better offensively. Anytime you have Quentin Richardson and Arenas playing solid minutes then you're not gonna make it far. Hornets are looking like contenders and then you have the spurs, lakers and mavericks.

Spurs and Lakers are even with the heat and Celtics, Mavericks are better than the Magic, Hornets and Bulls are even. So how is the east top heavy while the west has just as good of teams at the top?

mrblisterdundee
02-06-2011, 05:44 PM
The East has a better starting line-up, but the west has more depth and size overall.

mrblisterdundee
02-06-2011, 05:46 PM
West has 3(Lakers Spurs Mavs) contenders while the East has 4(Mia Orl Bulls Celtics). Seems pretty balanced.

No, the Hawks and Thunder are not contenders.

Take the Bulls out of the contender bracket, while they lack Joakim Noah in the middle. Without him, the Bulls and Thunder are equals. With him, the Bulls become a contender.

Fnom11
02-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Kurt thomas has been balling in Noahs place so I wouldn't count them out just yet. Plus isn't Noah going to be back before playoffs? If so then you can say the same for every team.

RZZZA
02-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Kurt Thomas has indeed been balling. While teams double team Rose and Boozer, Kurt is left wide open all the time and he nails those short to mid range jumpers. I don't know why we don't use him as an offensive option more often, really.

Fnom11
02-06-2011, 06:03 PM
His D is fine tbh aswell considering how old he is, can't expect much more from him. Of anything the SG spot will be downfall for the Bulls before Center will be.

RZZZA
02-06-2011, 06:06 PM
His D is better than fine, imo, nobody on our team takes charges better than him.

heathonater
02-06-2011, 09:24 PM
the top tier of the eastern conference has teams just as good as the best teams in the west. however, the depth of good teams in the east is still poor compared to the west.

Raph12
02-06-2011, 09:54 PM
As much as I would love for that to be true, I can't say it is. The Mavs are very good. So are the thunder. They would be much more trouble then the Hawks.

I don't know if you are looking at the records of the top teams in the east to make that assumption, but if you are, I would not put so much stock in that claim. Especially since we can all agree that those top 5 teams in the east get to feast on the waste that is the rest of that conference. What would the Thunders record be if they got to play east teams 6 through 15, four times a year? That would be 40 games against the worst teams the league has to offer, where they could improve their record, and Durant and Westbrook could put up even better numbers.

The Celts, Heat, Bulls and Magic all have a better chance to beat LA in a 7-game series than anyone out West besides the Spurs...

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-06-2011, 11:52 PM
The Celts, Heat, Bulls and Magic all have a better chance to beat LA in a 7-game series than anyone out West besides the Spurs...

Why would you put Chicago or Orlando above the Mavs or Thunder? I agree the C's, Heat are no brainers, but I wouldn't put the Bulls or Magic above the Mavs or Thunder.

rhino17
02-07-2011, 01:18 AM
The west has more overall talent and that talent is more even spread throughout the conference

IMO, the western conference has most of the better and longest tenured coaches in the league, I think that plays a larger role than most would think

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2011, 02:05 AM
The west has more overall talent and that talent is more even spread throughout the conference

IMO, the western conference has most of the better and longest tenured coaches in the league, I think that plays a larger role than most would think

You may be on to something. Coaching tenure does play a roll.

Raph12
02-07-2011, 02:44 AM
Why would you put Chicago or Orlando above the Mavs or Thunder? I agree the C's, Heat are no brainers, but I wouldn't put the Bulls or Magic above the Mavs or Thunder.

Defense... Plus, the Mavs aren't a playoffs team and the Thunder are too thin down low to beat either of those teams in a 7 game series.

Yanks All Day
02-07-2011, 02:59 AM
On a good year, the entire NBA only has about 8 legit contenders for the championship. I look at the contenders and judge the conference based on that. This year, the West has the Spurs, Lakers, and maybe the Mavs and Thunder. The East has Boston, Miami, Orlando, and Chicago. The only difference between the conferences is that the West is more balanced with mediocre teams and the East is extremely top heavy with a lot of bad teams. Head to head doesn't really matter much to me when evaluating the conferences because only a certain handful can actually contend for a title. The top 4 in the East could certainly compete with the tops in the West, but the bottom of the East would be just as bad, or maybe worse.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2011, 03:04 AM
Defense... Plus, the Mavs aren't a playoffs team and the Thunder are too thin down low to beat either of those teams in a 7 game series.

I can see why you would have that opinion. But we can't just assume the Mavs are the same team they were in the mid 2000's. This is a different team. If we just use past playoff success or failures, we would just give the Lakers or Spurs the trophy.

I can see what you mean about the Thunder. They don't have a big front court. But neither does Miami. They have two elite wings. So does Miami. Bosh is a small forward in a power forwards body.

If I am being completely honest, I only see the Celtics as a true threat if everyone is healthy. I may be totally wrong. But thats just how I feel. The Spurs bigs can't match up with the Lakers. Timmy is a shell of his former self. Mavs are good, but have no perimeter players that scare anyone. Thunder, as you said are too small. Bulls are a very good team but too young, and have not gone through the playoffs with each other. And normally, a team has to experience defeat before they move on. Heat, see Bulls, only with a smaller front court. Magic have regressed since we seen them in the finals, and even then it was a 5 game series. Celtic have everything they need to win a ring. And it pains me to say that because I hate every player on that team except for Shaq. And if I can be totally honest, I think the Celtics would win a 7 game series against the Lakers. Hopefully I'm wrong

Raph12
02-07-2011, 03:29 AM
I can see why you would have that opinion. But we can't just assume the Mavs are the same team they were in the mid 2000's. This is a different team. If we just use past playoff success or failures, we would just give the Lakers or Spurs the trophy.

I can see what you mean about the Thunder. They don't have a big front court. But neither does Miami. They have two elite wings. So does Miami. Bosh is a small forward in a power forwards body.

If I am being completely honest, I only see the Celtics as a true threat if everyone is healthy. I may be totally wrong. But thats just how I feel. The Spurs bigs can't match up with the Lakers. Timmy is a shell of his former self. Mavs are good, but have no perimeter players that scare anyone. Thunder, as you said are too small. Bulls are a very good team but too young, and have not gone through the playoffs with each other. And normally, a team has to experience defeat before they move on. Heat, see Bulls, only with a smaller front court. Magic have regressed since we seen them in the finals, and even then it was a 5 game series. Celtic have everything they need to win a ring. And it pains me to say that because I hate every player on that team except for Shaq. And if I can be totally honest, I think the Celtics would win a 7 game series against the Lakers. Hopefully I'm wrong

Weren't the Mavs bumped out in the first round just last year?

The Thunder have WB and KD, although they are VERY good players, KD is no LBJ and WB sure as hell is no Wade. Plus Miami has Bosh and a bunch of really good shooters around them and Bosh is a huge matchup problem for the twin-towers look LA runs with.

Although I don't believe any team can beat LA besides Boston, I do think that Chitown and Orlando stand a better chance than OKC or Dallas. Chitown is the best defensive team in the league and will be really interesting when Noah gets back. Orlando has Dwight who'll get any teams' bigs into a lot of foul trouble and spread the floor for his teammates, if the open shots are falling, they're deadlier than any team in the league.

I have the Lakeshow pegged for the '11 Champs, but I think the top-heavy East has a much better chance to dethrone them than anyone out West... Besides the Spurs, who like Boston, just has WAY too many options to throw at you.

Iron24th
02-07-2011, 04:07 AM
LOOOL at the cavs 1-18,maybe another record?

Enemey
02-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Weren't the Mavs bumped out in the first round just last year?

The Thunder have WB and KD, although they are VERY good players, KD is no LBJ and WB sure as hell is no Wade. Plus Miami has Bosh and a bunch of really good shooters around them and Bosh is a huge matchup problem for the twin-towers look LA runs with.

Although I don't believe any team can beat LA besides Boston, I do think that Chitown and Orlando stand a better chance than OKC or Dallas. Chitown is the best defensive team in the league and will be really interesting when Noah gets back. Orlando has Dwight who'll get any teams' bigs into a lot of foul trouble and spread the floor for his teammates, if the open shots are falling, they're deadlier than any team in the league.

I have the Lakeshow pegged for the '11 Champs, but I think the top-heavy East has a much better chance to dethrone them than anyone out West... Besides the Spurs, who like Boston, just has WAY too many options to throw at you.

They got knocked out by the Spurs. Im more scared of the Mavs than Magic, they have gotten worse since the 2009 finals.

LADTXR
02-07-2011, 03:22 PM
People are looking at the magic like they're the same team of the last couple years. They're not! They traded away 3-4 or key players to their teams previous success. The only guy you can count on to show up night in and night out is dwight howard. All the other guys seem to disappear every other night. The magic are a team that can beat anyone but they are nowhere near being the team they were in the past and i see them having a hard time in the first round but since the east bottom teams are so weak it'll probably be against a team 15 games below .500

LADTXR
02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Bulls opponents above .500:
Thunder: L,W
Blazers: W
Knicks: L,L
Celtics: L,L,W
Nuggets:W,L
Spurs: L
Mavs: W,W
Lakers: L,W
Magic: L,W
Heat: W
Grizzlies: W

Vs. West: 6-5, Vs. East: 3-5, Vs. Elite: 3-4 Overall: 9-10

Thunder Opponents above .500:
Bulls: W,L
Jazz: L,W,W
Blazers: W,W
Celtics: L,W
Mavs: L
Hornets: W,W,L,W
Knicks: L,W
Nuggets: W,L
Mavs: L,W
Hawks: W
Grizzlies: L,W
Magic: W
Lakers: L
Heat: L

Vs. West: 10-9, Vs. East: 5-4, Vs. Elite: 1-4, Overall: 15-13

I know these numbers don't mean much come playoff time but as of right now the thunder have a better record than the bulls and have played 9 more games against teams above .500. Both have a star in Rose and Durant and both have a solid #2 guy in Boozer and Westbrook. Thunder are the better offensive team and Bulls better defensively. I wouldn't consider either team an elite team but they will both give whoever they play in the playoffs a tough matchup. This would be a fun 7 game series to watch.