PDA

View Full Version : Report: Knicks, Wolves and Nuggets discussing three way trade

Pages : 1 [2]

ChiSox219
02-07-2011, 05:32 PM
How is a half season of Melo better than a 1st and multiple seasons of Wilson Chandler.

He's clearly willing to go through with it, considering at this point if the Nuggets wanted to they could just refuse to resign him until a new CBA is out, at which point they'll still be able to offer him the most (so he'd still sign with them if he just wanted the biggest contract) but the max will likely be less. He's risked that and waited this long for a reason.

Setting an example for a 34 year old Chauncey Billups who won't want to stay on a losing team, Kenyon Martin, Nene who may not want to stay without Billups and Melo (he's not getting the max anyway, so the new CBA may cost him some money, but not that much), and JR Smith who would be the team's best scorer without Melo isn't much help. I guess it helps with Ty Lawson 3 years down the road, but that's about it.

I don't think setting an example for Ty Lawson in 3 years tops getting Wilson Chandler, Brewer, and a 1st.\

You want Melo bad

The Jokemaker
02-07-2011, 05:36 PM
You are saying Cleveland should have traded Lebron last February?

Anyways, unlike Cleveland (and Toronto) the Nuggets have leverage over Carmelo but have no trade leverage because Melo has made it clear he only wants to play for the Knicks. No reason to trade him for Wilson Chandler and a draft pick when they can make a playoff run and use their leverage to re-sign Melo. And if he still leaves, at least they set a clear example for future contract negotiations that they will not let a player drive the bus.

The Cavs at this point last year were the #1 team in the league and title contenders which the Nuggets aren't in that same position. Good team but their championship chances aren't in that same boat. That's a big risk to hope a hypothetical playoff run will make him change his mind and stay in Denver.

Sandman
02-07-2011, 05:39 PM
He didn't exactly tell Cleveland he was leaving until 9:15 PM on a Thursday night in July...

Giraffes Rule
02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
How is a half season of Melo better than a 1st and multiple seasons of Wilson Chandler.

He's clearly willing to go through with it, considering at this point if the Nuggets wanted to they could just refuse to resign him until a new CBA is out, at which point they'll still be able to offer him the most (so he'd still sign with them if he just wanted the biggest contract) but the max will likely be less. He's risked that and waited this long for a reason.

Isn't Chandler's contract up after this season? No guarantee that Denver get multiple seasons of Chandler.

SluggeR
02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Why is Minny tripping about a 1st rd pick, how many rookies(young fellas) can they develop at one time?

Bornknick73
02-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Anyways, unlike Cleveland (and Toronto) the Nuggets have leverage over Carmelo but have no trade leverage because Melo has made it clear he only wants to play for the Knicks. No reason to trade him for Wilson Chandler and a draft pick when they can make a playoff run and use their leverage to re-sign Melo. And if he still leaves, at least they set a clear example for future contract negotiations that they will not let a player drive the bus.

Thats a awesome question. Im just using the question, nothing against your post. Its something people dont think about when they call Melo a piece of garbage and a scumbag.

Put Lebron in any 3-4 team deal and would the Cavs be on this historic losing streak? The King of Basketball, how much could the Cavs had gotten for King James? In a 3 or 4 team trade they could have rebuilt their team or came damn close to doing it. Thier future would have been bright if they could have gotten a Nets-like package.

But he ****ed them. He made them think he was gonna return. They made no moves and they are the worst team in the league right now. People wanna **** on Melo but at least he gave them an inkling to take precaution. So now intsead of getting nothing they might get something to help them going forward regardless of who they get it from, something is better then nothing, getting something is way better then historic losing streaks.

How would Denver feel if he told them he will sign it in the summer and he didnt want it to distract him during the season, then when the seasons over bolt to NY? He and Stoudemire had it planned and didnt want Denver trading him anywhere that would screw up their plan. So he lulled them into a false sense of security and then threw a game which lead to a series loss so he could justify his departure. And then does just that, departs.

I would think Kronke would be pulling a "Gilbert"

Sorry if I went off topic but it was a good question and i felt compelled to address it. But to stay on topic....

HURRY UP AND GIVE US MELO DAMMIT!!

phoenix_bladen
02-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Denver should get more in this deal.... As a Knicks fan I just think they aren't getting enough

what kind of knick fan are you then?

jetsfan28
02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
\

You want Melo bad
Not really. I'd rather not have the trade happen now and instead have it happen in the offseason when even the Bird right max contract is lesser. But what in my post was incorrect? Denver overplayed their hand, and now logically this is by far their best option.

Isn't Chandler's contract up after this season? No guarantee that Denver get multiple seasons of Chandler.

Restricted free agent. If they want him, they've got him. If they don't want to pay him what the open market does, they find someone who will give them a player and a couple of picks in a sign and trade. Which is more than you get by just letting him go.

Madtown22
02-07-2011, 08:21 PM
He didn't exactly tell Cleveland he was leaving until 9:15 PM on a Thursday night in July...

You stole my line. But your right on, way different situation. Melo has stated his intentions for a long time. :facepalm:

Madtown22
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Why is Minny tripping about a 1st rd pick, how many rookies(young fellas) can they develop at one time?

IMO, we are just trying to maximize the deal, the Knicks have wood right now and want to get this done bad. we know that. :cool:

topdog
02-07-2011, 08:27 PM

Because we actually have one :D

I hope this gets done though. I'm sure just about everybody would love to see Randolph develop and (dare I say) be at the other end of Rubio alley-oops.

ChiSox219
02-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Thats a awesome question. Im just using the question, nothing against your post. Its something people dont think about when they call Melo a piece of garbage and a scumbag.

Put Lebron in any 3-4 team deal and would the Cavs be on this historic losing streak? The King of Basketball, how much could the Cavs had gotten for King James? In a 3 or 4 team trade they could have rebuilt their team or came damn close to doing it. Thier future would have been bright if they could have gotten a Nets-like package.

But he ****ed them. He made them think he was gonna return. They made no moves and they are the worst team in the league right now. People wanna **** on Melo but at least he gave them an inkling to take precaution. So now intsead of getting nothing they might get something to help them going forward regardless of who they get it from, something is better then nothing, getting something is way better then historic losing streaks.

]

I think it's a ridiculous question. There's no way the Cavs trade Lebron when they were the favorites to come out of the East.

Not really. I'd rather not have the trade happen now and instead have it happen in the offseason when even the Bird right max contract is lesser. But what in my post was incorrect? Denver overplayed their hand, and now logically this is by far their best option.

Restricted free agent. If they want him, they've got him. If they don't want to pay him what the open market does, they find someone who will give them a player and a couple of picks in a sign and trade. Which is more than you get by just letting him go.

Denver should just stand pat. If Carmelo decides he is willing to play on without an extension, fine. You still draw well, make the playoffs and at the end of the year you have a ton of cap space and two great young pieces to build around. That's a better option than two low ceiling wings that aren't under contract next season and a draft pick in a very weak class.

jetsfan28
02-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Denver should just stand pat. If Carmelo decides he is willing to play on without an extension, fine. You still draw well, make the playoffs and at the end of the year you have a ton of cap space and two great young pieces to build around. That's a better option than two low ceiling wings that aren't under contract next season and a draft pick in a very weak class.

Calling Chandler a low ceiling wing is pretty ridiculous if you have paid any attention at all to his season. He may never be an All-Star, but he'll be a solid starter, and maybe a little more. And having him also makes it a lot more likely that they'll keep their other players, guys like JR Smith, Nene, and Billups who need to decide whether or not they want to stay on that team (look at what every Cav with an expiring contract did after last year). The two scenarios are either you get a 1st, Chandler, and Brewer, or you get absolutely nothing. And that package is pretty clearly better than absolutely nothing.

NYK|NYY
02-07-2011, 09:34 PM
The people saying DEN should be getting more, yeah no ****. But hey have no leverage. Unless Carmelo is unwilling to forgo his extension.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2011, 09:39 PM
The people saying DEN should be getting more, yeah no ****. But hey have no leverage. Unless Carmelo is unwilling to forgo his extension.

good point. Denver is losing leverage by the day quite honestly.

cheetos185
02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Because we actually have one :D

I hope this gets done though. I'm sure just about everybody would love to see Randolph develop and (dare I say) be at the other end of Rubio alley-oops.

your saying randolph will play in europe :p

cheetos185
02-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Calling Chandler a low ceiling wing is pretty ridiculous if you have paid any attention at all to his season. He may never be an All-Star, but he'll be a solid starter, and maybe a little more. And having him also makes it a lot more likely that they'll keep their other players, guys like JR Smith, Nene, and Billups who need to decide whether or not they want to stay on that team (look at what every Cav with an expiring contract did after last year). The two scenarios are either you get a 1st, Chandler, and Brewer, or you get absolutely nothing. And that package is pretty clearly better than absolutely nothing.

and they would get TPE from minny i assume which would be useful if they wanna get a player like kaman or iggy on bad contract

ChiSox219
02-07-2011, 10:24 PM

It's not ridiculous, it's true. Wilson Chandler is a fine player but we're not talking about guys with huge upside here, both Brewer and Chandler have been in the league for nearly four years, we have a good idea of what they are going to be. And you know someone is going to offer Chandler a stupid amount of money next year.

The draft pick would be the most valuable asset but next year's draft is going to suck. A lot of guys listed in mocks are not going to declare if there is a lockout situation, they can stay in school polish their game and enter the draft in 2012.

Why would the Nuggets keep JR Smith or Billups after this season with Melo gone? If there's any players they should be looking to trade, it's one of those two. Lawson and Afflalo are the future.

If they hold Melo they force him to play without an extension. People just think it's 100% done, that Melo's gone. And like I said, you make a playoff run and the seats are filled. Then you have a ton of money to either sign FAs or pick off guys cheap from teams adjusting to the new CBA.

Car Ramrod
02-07-2011, 10:56 PM
I hate to tell Knicks fan but I am not sure Melo is the saviour you think he is. Big numbers mean nothing unless your clutch.

Kobe, Jordan, Duncan, Wade, Pierce and eventually Durant are money players. As a fan you get a gut feeling when these guys have the ball. Even Tayshaun Prince when the Pistons were winning. All clutch.

The big three in Boston won because Pierce took them on his back. If Miami wins it will be all Wade. Kobe, Jordan numbers speak for themselves. And the Spurs are there own animal. An entire team that knows how to win.

I don't see it the same with Melo. He could prove me wrong. That being said winners remember the other team can score too.

jetsfan28
02-07-2011, 11:12 PM
It's not ridiculous, it's true. Wilson Chandler is a fine player but we're not talking about guys with huge upside here, both Brewer and Chandler have been in the league for nearly four years, we have a good idea of what they are going to be. And you know someone is going to offer Chandler a stupid amount of money next year.

The draft pick would be the most valuable asset but next year's draft is going to suck. A lot of guys listed in mocks are not going to declare if there is a lockout situation, they can stay in school polish their game and enter the draft in 2012.

Why would the Nuggets keep JR Smith or Billups after this season with Melo gone? If there's any players they should be looking to trade, it's one of those two. Lawson and Afflalo are the future.

If they hold Melo they force him to play without an extension. People just think it's 100% done, that Melo's gone. And like I said, you make a playoff run and the seats are filled. Then you have a ton of money to either sign FAs or pick off guys cheap from teams adjusting to the new CBA.

Are the only classifications possible huge and low? He's not a low ceiling player, not being a superstar doesn't mean you have a low ceiling, it just means you don't have a superstar ceiling.

Yeah, maybe Lawson and Afflalo are the future. But Lawson, Afflalo, and absolutely nothing else is not much of a team. They'll have a bad 1st rounder this year (thanks to Melo), the only asset they'll have to trade is Nene's Bird rights in a sign and trade, and maybe the 1 first rounder you can get for a Melo sign and trade, while still having Harrington's and Anderson's contracts. Great, they fill seats for half a year. Then they're **** for the next 3.

THE GIPPER
02-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I hate to tell Knicks fan but I am not sure Melo is the saviour you think he is. Big numbers mean nothing unless your clutch.

Kobe, Jordan, Duncan, Wade, Pierce and eventually Durant are money players. As a fan you get a gut feeling when these guys have the ball. Even Tayshaun Prince when the Pistons were winning. All clutch.

The big three in Boston won because Pierce took them on his back. If Miami wins it will be all Wade. Kobe, Jordan numbers speak for themselves. And the Spurs are there own animal. An entire team that knows how to win.

I don't see it the same with Melo. He could prove me wrong. That being said winners remember the other team can score too.

:facepalm: just try doing a LITTLE research before you post something so stupid http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

Car Ramrod
02-08-2011, 12:20 AM
:facepalm: just try doing a LITTLE research before you post something so stupid http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

I do not put him in the same category as Jordan, but honestly how many times have you watched the Lakers hoping they lose and watch Kobe hit some ridiculous shot or draw a foul. Granted he gets alot of 'superstar fouls'. I have sworn at the TV more than watching him nail some ridiculous shot than anyone else.

knicks=love
02-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Apparently you are. Only a fool wouldn't make that trade. Chandler is nowhere near the player Melo is, nor will he ever be. Ask any basketball fan that doesn't have blinders on and they will agree.

i'm not a fool. i obviously know what's right for the team unlike you do. why trade chandler when he's having an awesome season? why not keep him, and ****ing WAIT UNTIL SUMMER to sign him since he wants to come here and only here. dumb ****. we don't need him now. that's why donnie should wait until the offseason. this isn't our year

Da Knicks
02-08-2011, 12:31 AM
I do not put him in the same category as Jordan, but honestly how many times have you watched the Lakers hoping they lose and watch Kobe hit some ridiculous shot or draw a foul. Granted he gets alot of 'superstar fouls'. I have sworn at the TV more than watching him nail some ridiculous shot than anyone else.

stats dont lie

DoMeFavors
02-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Spike Lee and Woody Allen = worst fan base for a team.

topdog
02-08-2011, 12:42 AM
your saying randolph will play in europe :p

Only if he stays on the Knick's bench like another former lottery pick...

*cough*Darko*cough* :D

Car Ramrod
02-08-2011, 12:48 AM
stats dont lie

I work for the government trust me stats can be told to tell many stories. I hate the Lakers but championships dont lie.

Kenny
02-08-2011, 12:51 AM
i'm not a fool. i obviously know what's right for the team unlike you do. why trade chandler when he's having an awesome season? why not keep him, and ****ing WAIT UNTIL SUMMER to sign him since he wants to come here and only here. dumb ****. we don't need him now. that's why donnie should wait until the offseason. this isn't our year

you know whats right for the team but yet you don't know that they wouldnt be able to keep Chandler if they signed Melo. SMH at some people

oak2455
02-08-2011, 01:36 AM

at least there are people in our seats:clap:

ChiSox219
02-08-2011, 02:45 AM
Are the only classifications possible huge and low? He's not a low ceiling player, not being a superstar doesn't mean you have a low ceiling, it just means you don't have a superstar ceiling.

Yeah, maybe Lawson and Afflalo are the future. But Lawson, Afflalo, and absolutely nothing else is not much of a team. They'll have a bad 1st rounder this year (thanks to Melo), the only asset they'll have to trade is Nene's Bird rights in a sign and trade, and maybe the 1 first rounder you can get for a Melo sign and trade, while still having Harrington's and Anderson's contracts. Great, they fill seats for half a year. Then they're **** for the next 3.

They have a ton of cap space. They'll load up either throw free agency or trades where they pay pennies on the dollar for assets that teams adjusting to the new CBA need to move. They'll be fine even if Melo leaves.

On the flip side, some offers $50m to Chandler and Brewer continues to struggle and few quality prospects enter the draft. Rather take the half season of Melo with a chance he re-signs.

Of course, if you're a Knicks fan, you probably think this is pretty stupid.

NYK_kidd77
02-08-2011, 02:52 AM

Oh YEAH! Well you guys have ummm. You guys have ummm...I give up.

Mudvayne91
02-08-2011, 03:15 AM
stats dont lie

Either does the ball according to Chauncey.

LA_Raiders
02-08-2011, 10:40 AM
lol, this trade sucks.

JasonJohnHorn
02-08-2011, 10:49 AM
At this poing Denver needs to seriously consider taking what they can get.

Now Dallas may be willing to part with more draft picks, or get another team involved that could throw in a draft pick, and potentially can any combination of Terry, Marion and Butler with one or two picks should be appealling to Denver. Cuban has expressed an interest, so there is no need to just jump on this NY deal, but if they aren't getting any offers, this, as little as it is, is better than getting nothing when he leaves via free agency in the offseason.

Weezy
02-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Chandler is only 23 years old. He still has room to improve. He is pretty underrated and I have been saying that a lot for awhile. I think a core of Lawson/Afflalo/Chandler is not too shabby of a core to build off with. As for re-signing Chandler.. its questionable but you really think teams will offer a high contract for him with this new CBA coming up? :shrug: Who knows? Anyways, then maybe DEN can draft a high prospect PF in the upcoming drafts.

goose15
02-08-2011, 10:57 AM
at least there are people in our seats:clap:

:laugh::laugh: