PDA

View Full Version : When are these small market teams going to accept going nowhere?

NYSpirit1
02-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Phoenix, Toronto and Cleveland.

Denver, New Orleans and now Phoenix again.

That's five smaller market teams that need to learn a lesson.

Because of sheer stupidity, the Cavaliers are 8-42, the Raptors 14-37 and the Suns 23-25. Their front offices refused to accept losing LeBron, Bosh and Amare, now are left with nothing. Keep in mind the Cavs won over 60 games last year, the Suns won 54 and the Raptors were at .500. And really, the Cavs and Raptors deserve to be that bad. More so the Raptors and Suns refused to trade Bosh and Amare the past few seasons and they are suffering for it.

And again the Suns are now being incredibly stupid and when Nash retires, they'll be one of the worst teams in the NBA. They continually say they won't deal him, when they could build for the future and build young stars. Instead, the incredibly smart front-office thinks it's better to be 23-25 with a 37-year-old Nash, a 34-year-old Vince Carter and a 38-year-old Grant Hill as your top players.

Now they need to learn, along with the Nuggets and Hornets to trade their stars before they end up with nothing. The Hornets would be incredibly smart to deal Paul for a bundle of trade assets now, instead of ending up with a Carmelo situation next year, which is what it's going to be after the Hornets lose in the first round. These stars want to play on perennial playoff contenders, that can legitimately win a championship. The Nuggets and Hornets aren't going to do that. It's not football. They don't have to win just one game.

I don't know what motivates these teams to not make trades. What are the Nuggets waiting for? I hope they end up as one of the worst teams in the NBA.

It's BS from these small market teams that make the same ridiculous headlines everyday as news. Instead of just trading Carmelo to New York as he wanted last summer, the entire sports world has to be treated to daily Carmelo updates every few days.

There's a new era in the NBA, started by the Miami Heat. It's clear as they noted, they don't have the chemistry yet of the Celtics or Lakers, but once they do, it wouldn't be a surprise if they win 75 games. A team like the Nuggets or Hornets are never going to come close to beating them.

GoatMilk
02-05-2011, 04:39 AM
just need some luck
look at San Antonio

as for these specific cases, i dont know. too much thinking for me right now

210Don
02-05-2011, 04:39 AM
75 games lol

abe_froman
02-05-2011, 04:48 AM

Because of sheer stupidity, the Cavaliers are 8-42, the Raptors 14-37 and the Suns 23-25. Their front offices refused to accept losing LeBron, Bosh and Amare, now are left with nothing. Keep in mind the Cavs won over 60 games last year, the Suns won 54 and the Raptors were at .500. And really, the Cavs and Raptors deserve to be that bad. More so the Raptors and Suns refused to trade Bosh and Amare the past few seasons and they are suffering for it.

And again the Suns are now being incredibly stupid and when Nash retires, they'll be one of the worst teams in the NBA. They continually say they won't deal him, when they could build for the future and build young stars. Instead, the incredibly smart front-office thinks it's better to be 23-25 with a 37-year-old Nash, a 34-year-old Vince Carter and a 38-year-old Grant Hill as your top players.

Now they need to learn, along with the Nuggets and Hornets turn to learn to trade their stars before they end up with nothing. The Hornets would be incredibly smart to deal Paul for a bundle of trade assets now, instead of ending up with a Carmelo situation next year, which is what it's going to be after the Hornets lose in the first round. These stars want to play on perennial playoff contenders, that can legitimately win a championship. The Nuggets and Hornets aren't going to do that. It's not football. They don't have to win just one game.

I don't know what motivates these teams to not make trades. What are the Nuggets waiting for? I hope they end up as one of the worst teams in the NBA.

It's BS from these small market teams that make the same ridiculous headlines everyday as news. Instead of just trading Carmelo to New York as he wanted last summer, the entire sports world has to be treated to daily Carmelo updates every few days.

There's a new era in the NBA, started by the Miami Heat. It's clear as they noted, they don't have the chemistry yet of the Celtics or Lakers, but once they do, it wouldn't be a surprise if they win 75 games. A team like the Nuggets or Hornets are never going to come close to beating them.
if the heat win 75 games,then not even a large market could beat them(also i highly doubt they'll ever win 75 games).

and so what? look at okc or spurs right now,they could certainly win a championship(why try deny them the chance to try)

n.o.- cp3,even if he wants to leave,is still under contract for awhile.there's no need to rush any trade with him.it would dumb if they do....especially with the team they built this year

phx-i dont know,but they are one of the winningest franchise's(no rings,but alot of wins) in the league.usually finding ways to put a good team on the court,so they'll be alright undoubtedly

as for den-they can still move melo,trade deadline wasnt today

Raph12
02-05-2011, 04:49 AM
When the Spurs stop winning rings...

JPHX
02-05-2011, 04:51 AM
first off, i think the question is kinda dumb the way it was posed.

but to answer the OP's question, i dont think thats the lesson. its a stars league. without stars your team will suck plain and simple. and if you have stars your not only gonna have to shell out the big bucks to keep them, but fork out cash to surround them with a good supporting cast. small market teams dont really have the financial backing like LA, NY, BOS, etc. to do this on a seasonal basis. its too much of a financial risk unlike the bigger market teams where they can spend big money with the risk of suffering a mediocre season.

So whats the point in small market teams even competing if all we do is find players, develop them into stars, then trade them to big market teams?? What the NBA needs to do is find a way to level the playing field for the small market teams and get it to a point where your teams salary doesnt need to exceed $90mil for you to be considered a championship contender.

abe_froman
02-05-2011, 05:10 AM
So whats the point in small market teams even competing if all we do is find players, develop them into stars, then trade them to big market teams?? What the NBA needs to do is find a way to level the playing field for the small market teams and get it to a point where your teams salary doesnt need to exceed $90mil for you to be considered a championship contender.

1.because there's no realistic way to level it,the game..the way its played doesnt lend itself to level playing field

2.the point is to compete for a championship before that star walks away(or is trade),you have the window in terms of times as the big club will have to get out him before he hits his decline.

3.plenty of teams do that.hell the heat are only spending 65 mil on this seasons team- most have as a contender,the bulls(eventhough some dont see them as a true contender)the payroll for the season is in the 50's

aussie
02-05-2011, 05:11 AM
are you a ****in idiot!

whats the point of a league without competing teams...

NY ain't gonna be winning anytime soon! You think cos u got Amare that everyone wants to go there..well newsflash buddy CP3 is staying in NOLA...so how bout you shut ur mouth you rookie

and can an admin please close this stupid thread

Dol-Fan
02-05-2011, 05:23 AM

Sheer stupidity? The Cavs have been THE best team in the NBA over the last few years. They did everything in their power to keep LeBron, his leaving is on LeBron, not Cavs management. They invested a great deal of their future in him through committing long-term money to overpaid role players in Jamison and Williams, but all of those investments were contingent on LeBron staying. Not much they could do there, they needed to do whatever it took to give them the best chance of retaining him.

The Raptors were 5th in the East at the trade deadline last year. Conveniently, Bosh went down with a broken nose shortly after and (somehow) missed 12 or so games because of it. Sure, it was more obvious that Bosh would leave than it was that LeBron would leave, but when your team is 5th in the East and playing well, the GM likely has confidence in his team to at least get through one round in the playoffs. It was also thought around Toronto that if the Raptors got out of the first round, Bosh would be convinced to stay. Whether that thought was erroneous or not is irrelevant as we have no idea how long Bosh/Wade/James were planning their Miami union.

Can't speak much for the Suns, their owner is a moron.

IIRC, Suns management is saying they won't deal Nash because he wants to stay in Phoenix. Understandable, he's done a lot for them and if he wants to stick around, then he should be able to do so. Carter is expiring after the season. So is Grant Hill. No long-term commitments there and they should have plenty of space under the cap to begin a proper rebuild.

Now they need to learn, along with the Nuggets and Hornets to trade their stars before they end up with nothing. The Hornets would be incredibly smart to deal Paul for a bundle of trade assets now, instead of ending up with a Carmelo situation next year, which is what it's going to be after the Hornets lose in the first round. These stars want to play on perennial playoff contenders, that can legitimately win a championship. The Nuggets and Hornets aren't going to do that. It's not football. They don't have to win just one game.

Ever think that they're not getting the offers that they want? Maybe they think fans will stop going if they deal off their stars for a package of draft picks and prospects? It's tough enough drawing fans in NO. It's not out of the realm of possibility that losing Paul = losing their team.

Why? Because they don't want to deal their star player to your favourite team for pennies on the dollar?

And it's the New York media that primarily creates these terribly annoying rumours. They should just do everything that the player wants? I mean, he is under contract...

Right, so they should just blow off the competitive spirit, sell of all of their assets to NY, BOS, LA, MIA, and CHI, and enjoy watching those teams win championships for the next 15 years. Yay for the new NBA!

There. I stomached a response to this entire post.

Tdotraptors
02-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Toronto isnt a small market.....

ChiTownPacerFan
02-05-2011, 05:25 AM
WTF, why is everyone crucifying this guy? Instead of focusing on the silly statement about the Heat winning 75 games, why not address the main point of his thread? I sort of agree that these teams, Toronto especially, would be wise to trade their soon-to-be free agents//aging superstars, as opposed to standing pat. If you guys disagree, then please explain.

Tdotraptors
02-05-2011, 05:30 AM
WTF, why is everyone crucifying this guy? Instead of focusing on the silly statement about the Heat winning 75 games, why not address the main point of his thread? I sort of agree that these teams, Toronto especially, would be wise to trade their soon-to-be free agents//aging superstars, as opposed to standing pat. If you guys disagree, then please explain.

Toronto dosent have any soon to be free agents that are really worth anything or any aging superstars. Only players with potential

ChiTownPacerFan
02-05-2011, 05:31 AM
The Raptors were 5th in the East at the trade deadline last year. Conveniently, Bosh went down with a broken nose shortly after and (somehow) missed 12 or so games because of it. Sure, it was more obvious that Bosh would leave than it was that LeBron would leave, but when your team is 5th in the East and playing well, the GM likely has confidence in his team to at least get through one round in the playoffs. It was also thought around Toronto that if the Raptors got out of the first round, Bosh would be convinced to stay. Whether that thought was erroneous or not is irrelevant as we have no idea how long Bosh/Wade/James were planning their Miami union.

So the argument here is sell out your future for a second round playoff appearance. Isn't it obvious that they would have been better off trading Bosh for a few young pieces and picks?

Right, so they should just blow off the competitive spirit, sell of all of their assets to NY, BOS, LA, MIA, and CHI, and enjoy watching those teams win championships for the next 15 years. Yay for the new NBA!

I think (hope) he meant that they couldn't be competitive given the way those organizations are currently being run. Not that those teams should fold because there is no way they could conceivably be good.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Toronto dosent have any soon to be free agents that are really worth anything or any aging superstars. Only players with potential

Sorry, my wording was bad. That was in regard to how they handled the Chris Bosh situation.

Dol-Fan
02-05-2011, 05:34 AM
So the argument here is sell out your future for a second round playoff appearance. Isn't it obvious that they would have been better off trading Bosh for a few young pieces and picks?

I think (hope) he meant that they couldn't be competitive given the way those organizations are currently being run. Not that those teams should fold because there is no way they could conceivably be good.

Not saying I entirely agree with the logic, but this is likely what was going through Colangelo's head. 2nd round of playoffs = Bosh staying = progress from previous 2 years = more time/opportunities to continue to place the right pieces around him = further playoff success in the following 6 years of Bosh's contract.

I understand what he said. I just don't understand what is wrong with the way the Nuggets and Hornets are being run. Both teams have had considerable playoff success over the last ~3 years and just have yet to get over the proverbial hump.

JPHX
02-05-2011, 05:34 AM
1.because there's no realistic way to level it,the game..the way its played doesnt lend itself to level playing field

2.the point is to compete for a championship before that star walks away(or is trade),you have the window in terms of times as the big club will have to get out him before he hits his decline.

3.plenty of teams do that.hell the heat are only spending 65 mil on this seasons team- most have as a contender,the bulls(eventhough some dont see them as a true contender)the payroll for the season is in the 50's

1. I disagree. There are ways to level it to a certain degree. That's why this new CBA is so critical. the league could try and do away with guaranteed contracts and employ a hard cap. There will still be superior teams but it would make it harder to predict clear cut contenders. Kinda like the nfl.

2. So the small market teams get the developing stars, while the big markets stock up on them in their primes? That seems hardly fair. Small market teams don't have a chance.

3. Miami is different. Their big three knowingly took paycuts to team up and form their powerhouse. Unlike LA who has, IMO, been a prime example of buying championships.

ChiTownPacerFan
02-05-2011, 05:40 AM
I understand what he said. I just don't understand what is wrong with the way the Nuggets and Hornets are being run. Both teams have had considerable playoff success over the last ~3 years and just have yet to get over the proverbial hump.

The idea, which I only slightly agree with, is that CP3 and Carmelo will bolt on their teams. This will then turn the Hornets and the Nuggets into this years Cavs and Raptors. Of course, this assumes the Nuggets hold on to Carmelo and the Hornets don't trade Paul. It also assumes that either of those teams could get even reasonable value for their superstars.

Trace
02-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Toronto is not a small market...

JordansBulls
02-05-2011, 02:51 PM

You need a franchise player to go anywhere in this league.

clutchski
02-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Toronto made more revenue last year than 20 other NBA teams including Miami. The Raptors are the currently the 10th most valuable franchise in the NBA. So enough with this "small market" BS.

hotpotato1092
02-05-2011, 03:27 PM
The league's best team and 4 time champion resides in San Antonio.

The league's best future, a team led by two of the ten best players in the league who will not be going anywhere, plays their home games in Oklahoma City.

The league's biggest market team (and my favorite team), is just now coming off perhaps the worst decade in NBA history.

A team in the league's second biggest market was for the last 30 years the laughingstock of the league, and they are (god forbid) one injury away from going right back there.

So what's my point? Market doesn't mean ****, management does. The first two teams I mentioned happened to be the two best run organizations in the NBA, perhaps in ANY sport. The second two teams I mentioned had arguably the worst management in any sport (pre Walsh for the Knicks). RC Buford and Greg Popovich could build a contender ANYWHERE, be it San Antonio or LA or Cleveland or New York. Ditto for Presti and Brooks.

If LeBron James was drafted by the Heat, but they put together the same crappy teams he played with in Cleveland, he would have left Miami to play for a winner elsewhere. As much as I hate the guy, he did what he thought was the best career move for himself, so as much as I think he should have signed with the Bulls if he wanted to win, he thought otherwise and went to play for the Heat. The fact of the matter is the Cavs consistently flanked LeBron with guys who were solid role players, but not fit to be his sidekick. Danny Ferry had chances to keep LeBron (most notably, the botched Amare Stoudemire trade at the deadline last year, or the 2009 trade deadline when he was armed with over 30 mil in expiring contracts), but Cavs management couldn't get the job done. You could make the argument that Bosh just wanted the spotlight, and I'd agree with that because quite frankly I think he's a *****, but we can argue that until the cows come home, I won't waste my time with it. There's a reason Tim Duncan stayed in San Antonio, just as there's a reason Kevin Durant will likely play out his whole career in Oklahoma City. Their GM's knew how to build contenders, whereas LeBron's and Carmelo's didn't. The fact that you think small market teams can't win shows a complete lack of understanding as to how the NBA works. When you win, your players stay, when you don't they leave. It's that simple.

Infamous916
02-05-2011, 03:30 PM
There is no such thing as loyalty anymore in sports.

CB29
02-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Do you follow all these 6 teams very closely? Toronto received draft picks and a trade exception for Chris Bosh. We were playing fairly well last year before the deadline and there was some indication that Bosh might stay if we made the play-offs. Amare also stated that he would have stayed in phoenix if the suns offered him a max contract. Trading these players to their wished teams nets you nothing in return. Players have way too much power over the teams these days. Teams wanna keep high profile players cause they attract fans. A lot of teams are rebuilding every year so teams like to stay competitive and fight for a lower play-off seed cause only so many teams get good picks... If everyone started tanking then even thats a competition isn't it. Raptors are definitely not stupid as you pointed out. We're quietly building a good talent base and have acquired some decent pciks and trade exceptions to compensate.

Please do your research before posting in the future and generalizing for a large group of teams.

smith&wesson
02-05-2011, 03:41 PM
your a new poster so ill just let you know .. Toronto is not a small market. do the research man. star players just dont want to play in canada thats all there is to it.

smith&wesson
02-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Do you follow all these 6 teams very closely? Toronto received draft picks and a trade exception for Chris Bosh. We were playing fairly well last year before the deadline and there was some indication that Bosh might stay if we made the play-offs. Amare also stated that he would have stayed in phoenix if the suns offered him a max contract. Trading these players to their wished teams nets you nothing in return. Players have way too much power over the teams these days. Teams wanna keep high profile players cause they attract fans. A lot of teams are rebuilding every year so teams like to stay competitive and fight for a lower play-off seed cause only so many teams get good picks... If everyone started tanking then even thats a competition isn't it. Raptors are definitely not stupid as you pointed out. We're quietly building a good talent base and have acquired some decent pciks and trade exceptions to compensate.

Please do your research before posting in the future and generalizing for a large group of teams.

x2

great post.

Dade County
02-05-2011, 03:46 PM

We did not start ****...... This started in the 80's :D
Or you can blame Boston and L.A.

Sadds The Gr8
02-05-2011, 03:46 PM
another stupid poster claiming Toronto is a small market...i'd break down the OP's post but i see like 5 ppl have already done it.

Flash3
02-05-2011, 03:47 PM
this guys has posted the same thread atleast 3 times.... it seems like we wants to make himself believe his beloved knicks should be contenders every year and pick and choose which superstar they want on their team,

idk about the bosh situation so won't speak about it but amare came out and said he would have resigned if the suns offered him the max

Flash3
02-05-2011, 03:49 PM
lol 75 wins :facepalm:

Geargo Wallace
02-05-2011, 03:56 PM

:facepalm: ... yes I did that.

Flash3
02-05-2011, 03:58 PM

so no knicks :D j/k

but seriously is it about winning or "big market" ?