PDA

View Full Version : J.J. Hickson: "If we stay persistant, we can get a couple wins before season is over"

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Just saw this on NBA Tonight on ESPN 2

How sad is that when he said if we play great we can get 2 wins before the season is over with 30 something games to go??? Dang and he said it serious too with no grin lol

They just tied the record for the longest losing streak ever at 23

Raps18-19 Champ
02-05-2011, 02:26 AM
The record is actually 24 games in a row.

And when he said "couple" he didn't literally mean 2 games. Think of it as a handful of games instead. Cuz that's what he meant. Saying a couple of games is just a lot easier.

beasted86
02-05-2011, 02:27 AM
A couple doesn't always mean 2.

BTW, your bait/legit post ratio is sickening.

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 02:33 AM

go to yahoo search and type "couple definition"

They all say Two or a pair of things

Yall know couple means 2 come on now

fadedmario
02-05-2011, 02:39 AM
:laugh:

Giraffes Rule
02-05-2011, 02:41 AM

Right, and when people say "give me a second" they literally mean they only need one second, right? I'm sure he just meant that they can get a few wins before the season is over.

Arch Stanton
02-05-2011, 02:42 AM
It's too bad. They could have won tonight. JJ had a great game too. If only the game ended after three quarters tonight then the Cavs would have a win.

abe_froman
02-05-2011, 02:44 AM
i do think they will get those couple

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 02:47 AM
i do think they will get those couple

Hopefully more lol but I honestly dont see another Lebron or just a standout player from the rest in this upcoming draft :(

I hope whoever they pick if they do get the #1 overall turns this program around

Mochalman
02-05-2011, 02:48 AM
Someone needs to come and close this thread.

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 02:50 AM

Why? It isnt baiting at all, I didnt put "haha"

Hickson said it, and I felt bad for them

beasted86
02-05-2011, 02:52 AM

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/couple

—Idiom
a couple of, more than two, but not many, of; a small number of; a few: It will take a couple of days for the package to get there. Also, a couple.

—Usage note
The phrase a couple of has been in standard use for centuries, especially with measurements of time and distance and in referring to amounts of money: They walked a couple of miles in silence. Repairs will probably cost a couple of hundred dollars. The phrase is used in all but the most formal speech and writing. The shortened phrase a couple, without of ( The gas station is a couple miles from here ), is an Americanism of recent development that occurs chiefly in informal speech or representations of speech.

The majority of your posts are baiting or trolling.

KingPosey
02-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Right, and when people say "give me a second" they literally mean they only need one second, right? I'm sure he just meant that they can get a few wins before the season is over.

lol then he probably should have said "few" then lol

RZZZA
yeah...couple definitely means two. If he meant more than two but not by a bunch, he could have said several or a handful.

abe_froman
Hopefully more lol but I honestly dont see another Lebron or just a standout player from the rest in this upcoming draft :(

I hope whoever they pick if they do get the #1 overall turns this program around

lebron type talent is once in a great while.but star? sure,i heard that about alot of drafts,they were weak and had no one.nearly all of them do have stars.

will it happen overnight? no,they'll be bad for a few years.but at least they'll be getting lotto picks for say next 3,they should hit on a winner in one of them.

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Thank you King Posey and RZZZA, I dont know what they were talking about

I was :confused:

Giraffes Rule
02-05-2011, 02:56 AM
lol then he probably should have said "few" then lol

:rolleyes: I didn't realize we're all robots that can't understand the subtleties in the English language.

That's sarcasm, by the way. Figured I'd have to explain it for you guys.

beasted86
02-05-2011, 02:58 AM
yeah...couple definitely means two. If he meant more than two but not by a bunch, he could have said several or a handful.

I guess a couple posters in here don't know English very well.

A "couple of" carries the formal meaning of two.

uptownfan
02-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Crazy to think that this is the same team that beat Boston on opening night

mttwlsn16
02-05-2011, 03:00 AM
COUPLE=2 and thats sad i feel for cav fans. i hope yall get the #1 pick and get the second coming of lebumm

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 03:01 AM
If someone asked me to bring them a couple McDonald's cheeseburgers and I brought them 4 or 5 they would look at me stupid

It is common sense that couple means 2

beasted86
02-05-2011, 03:05 AM
It's surprising that there is anyone who has never heard "couple" used in the context of more than 2.

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 03:05 AM
COUPLE=2 and thats sad i feel for cav fans. i hope yall get the #1 pick and get the second coming of lebumm

Or get a Blake Griffin :)

But Jared Sullinger is def not Blake Griffin

He is like a Zach Randolph with more defense

And they have JJ Hickson who is young, I think they obviously need a SF or SG

abe_froman
02-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Or get a Blake Griffin :)

But Jared Sullinger is def not Blake Griffin

He is like a Zach Randolph with more defense

And they have JJ Hickson who is young, I think they obviously need a SF or SG

for a team like the cavs or any team in the early lotto.you dont draft on need,you draft bpa.

shep33
02-05-2011, 03:12 AM
Sad, but honestly things are looking up for the Cavs in the future. They'll obviously get a good pick, plus they got a ton of money to spend. Really if a superstar wanted to become a "hero" to an entire city, go to Cleveland. Not only would they be payed a ton of money, but they'd be loved by the entire city.

If I was a young player, why not? I just think the NBA has now become a league where players want to play in certain cities... and it's sad. I feel like we won't see a player like Reggie Miller anymore, staying with a small market team.

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 03:13 AM
for a team like the cavs or any team in the early lotto.you dont draft on need,you draft bpa.

That's true, Perry Jones or Harrison Barnes are just not gonna turn that franchise around being the #1 pick IMO and they might even get the first bc we had the Nets getting John Wall foreverrrrr

As bad as this sounds I would look for a team that has 2 first round draft picks and trade the 1st overall for them, bc they arent going to get a good FA to come there this summer so they will need the 2 first round picks plus the early 2nd round pick to come in and produce or start

abe_froman
02-05-2011, 03:20 AM
Sad, but honestly things are looking up for the Cavs in the future. They'll obviously get a good pick, plus they got a ton of money to spend. Really if a superstar wanted to become a "hero" to an entire city, go to Cleveland. Not only would they be payed a ton of money, but they'd be loved by the entire city.

If I was a young player, why not? I just think the NBA has now become a league where players want to play in certain cities... and it's sad. I feel like we won't see a player like Reggie Miller anymore, staying with a small market team.

i wouldnt count on a star going there,well as least a real star that isnt just there to sucker them.the money is used for roleplayers to surround their draft pick with

sure you will,you just say rudy gay choosing to stay in memphis when he had a chance to leave to bigger markets this past summer.as well as kevin durant signing an extension to stay in okc.its just when qa melo or lebron want to leave its talked about ad nasuem 24/7,blown out of proportion and when a guy chooses to stay or go to small play its just a 2 sentence post script.so it feels bigger because of the coverage each gets

pastrecedes
02-05-2011, 03:34 AM
you turkeyz are over analyzing this

Chi StateOfMind
02-05-2011, 03:35 AM
i am starting to feel bad for cavs fans not only for their team but now there players for sucking and being ********.....maybe hickson shoulda thought a couple more seconds b4 sayin that

shep33
02-05-2011, 04:13 AM
i wouldnt count on a star going there,well as least a real star that isnt just there to sucker them.the money is used for roleplayers to surround their draft pick with

sure you will,you just say rudy gay choosing to stay in memphis when he had a chance to leave to bigger markets this past summer.as well as kevin durant signing an extension to stay in okc.its just when qa melo or lebron want to leave its talked about ad nasuem 24/7,blown out of proportion and when a guy chooses to stay or go to small play its just a 2 sentence post script.so it feels bigger because of the coverage each gets

I hope your right about KD and Rudy Gay... gotta remember they're still really young. KD is gonna be what 26 when his deal with OKC is up? Who knows what can happen between now and then. Say D12 leaves Orlando, then CP3 and Dwill leave their teams... I'm just saying it seems like its becoming a trend. Hopefully those guy stay, but I'm pretty sure Dwill, Cp3, and maybe D12 won't retire with their current teams unless they win a title in the next 2 years.

abe_froman
02-05-2011, 04:22 AM
I hope your right about KD and Rudy Gay... gotta remember they're still really young. KD is gonna be what 26 when his deal with OKC is up? Who knows what can happen between now and then. Say D12 leaves Orlando, then CP3 and Dwill leave their teams... I'm just saying it seems like its becoming a trend. Hopefully those guy stay, but I'm pretty sure Dwill, Cp3, and maybe D12 won't retire with their current teams unless they win a title in the next 2 years.

you do know those guys havent actually left.its hard for there to be a trend without anything happening yet.like i said,your buying into the constant 24/7 rumor mill of the modern media age,where everything is speculated upon,because well there's nothing to write about when a guy stays.

there has always been player movement in the league,its not new,wilt forced his way out of sf and then philly(this was 60's),kareem made it an open secret he wsant staying in mil after his contract was up,ever since he was drafted.but those are forgotten,and we dont talk about those who do stay now

its very rare for a guy to stay with one team his whole career,i just cited a few examples,but can go to mj,barkley,walton,oscar,and on and on.so dunno why people are acting like it new/different

HoopsDrive
02-05-2011, 04:31 AM
Over/under 30 losses in a row? I'd look at the schedule but the way they're playing it wouldn't matter who they faced or where...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-05-2011, 07:46 AM
That's sad:o

Raidaz4Life
02-05-2011, 07:55 AM
I wonder which "two" games he had picked out in his head.

Iron24th
02-05-2011, 08:05 AM

King Koopa
02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
It's surprising that there is anyone who has never heard "couple" used in the context of more than 2.

They've never studied how to write proper english. :rolleyes: A couple of uneducated posters is an understatement.

RZZZA
02-05-2011, 01:23 PM
saying a couple and not meaning "2" is like saying a a dozen and not meaning "12".

Avenged
02-05-2011, 01:38 PM

^

pd1dish
02-05-2011, 01:38 PM

for me, ive never used couple as more than two. if its more than two but less than 4 or 5, then its "a few". if its more than that, then its "a handful" or "a lot" or "many"

the fact is that at the rate the cavs have been going, they better hope they can get more than a couple of wins but im a skeptic

LakersIn5
02-05-2011, 01:41 PM
hickson obviously means 2 when he used the word "couple" because he would be asking for a miracle if he thinks that the cavs will win more than 2. and actually the cavs would be lucky just to win another game with the crap *** team.

Sadds The Gr8
02-05-2011, 01:47 PM
i wanna see them lose 30 in a row. I wanna see history

steveshane67
02-05-2011, 01:57 PM

ill never understand what motivates a person to write a post like this.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OP, unless of course you think all threads need to be glowingly positive

pd1dish
02-05-2011, 01:58 PM
i wanna see them lose 30 in a row. I wanna see history

well they are only one more consecutive loss away from making history so you will probably see it. they tied it yesterday and they have to play Portland who will most likely beat them

joeboow90
02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
lmao this is just sad. this is still a professional team but they look like a bunch of guys they picked up off the street before the game started. 23 losses in a row and counting? dam man this dude jj hickson talkin about "we can get a couple wins before the season over" ive never heard an athlete say that in my life. i shake my head in disgust at the cavs. looks like theyll be the laughing stock of the league for another 15 years until they can draft another lebron.......good luck cleveland fans i honestly feel bad for yall this is what you have to deal with year after year dam.

onlythisfar41
02-05-2011, 02:23 PM

i know man this is unbelievable, yes a "couple" literally means two, however it is extremely common that the phrase a "couple of" can refer to more then two. If my friend said to me, "The game will be over in a couple of minutes." I wouldnt call him a liar if the game ended 4 minutes later.

You need to stop analyzing the english language so literally, if someone told you "hey bro you need to get to my house theres a boat load of hookers in my basement" Would you upon arriving and seeing that there were just a lot of hookers standing in his basement say in return,

"I gotta get out of here you promised me there would be boat filled with hookers and instead you got 10 standing in your basement, thanks a lot you lying ***." no you wouldnt

Nighthawk
02-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Over/under 30 losses in a row? I'd look at the schedule but the way they're playing it wouldn't matter who they faced or where...

Next 15 games

@ Bulls
@ Nets
@ Celtics
vs Nuggets
@ Magic
@ Heat
@ Pacers
@ Grizzles
vs Blazers
@ Mavs
vs Pistons
vs Clippers
vs Wizard
vs Lakers
Vs Rocket

Nighthawk
02-05-2011, 02:30 PM
And Everyone bashed cleveland fans for getting so mad and angry and hateful that Lebron left. Well now you see why. HE WAS THE CAVS. Sure they also lost Z, Shaq and Delonte. But if Bron was still a Cav this wouldnt be going down. Crazy. Cavs are so bad they could lose every remaining game. They quit. Their season is already over. Atleast thats how their playing

thekmp211
02-05-2011, 02:37 PM
And Everyone bashed cleveland fans for getting so mad and angry and hateful that Lebron left. Well now you see why. HE WAS THE CAVS. Sure they also lost Z, Shaq and Delonte. But if Bron was still a Cav this wouldnt be going down. Crazy. Cavs are so bad they could lose every remaining game. They quit. Their season is already over. Atleast thats how their playing

im not sure ANYONE was expecting this. they have enough veteran presence on that team to at least be professionals. they are far from that point at the moment.

tdunk21
02-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Just saw this on NBA Tonight on ESPN 2

How sad is that when he said if we play great we can get 2 wins before the season is over with 30 something games to go??? Dang and he said it serious too with no grin lol

They just tied the record for the longest losing streak ever at 23

u r a genius....

DeyAce
02-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Spur of the moment type thing, he was pissed.

Steelers23_06
02-05-2011, 03:30 PM
i think its so funny how people are saying the cavs are quitting on themselves and are a laughing stock. its crazy all the thing you read about them. but then at the same time you people bashing lebron and calling him corny things like lebrick and lequit. and say he quit against the celtics. i honestly think he just woke up looked and the mirror and was just tired. he was tired of having to carry this team since he got drafted. gm was horrible(sorry ferry) coaches were horrible (sorry silas & brown) supporting cast was horrendous (sorry boobie, mo, sasha, hughes, and all the others that i didnt feel like mentioning) and it wasnt going uphill. everyone is saying that kobe, jordan, bird, and magic wouldnt have done what lebron did but in all honesty they didnt have to. all of them played with HOF players if not one multiple.

kobe=shaq, pau (cant count malone and gp because they were on a serious decline)
jordan=pippen and possibly rodman sooner or later
bird=bill walton(6th man of the year), mchale, dennis johnson, parish
magic=kareem, mcadoo, worthy
lebrons best players=a young boozer, an old big z, hughes, mo, ben wallace, jamison

now lets be real...can we really compare the situations? before this season lerbon didnt even know what it felt like to have a teamate average 20 plus even when he was a rookie. this just shows all you haters out there that lebron is hands down the most amazing guy in the league.

CountSackula
02-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Glad they're reaching for the stars. You get those 2 wins J.J.!

Jewelz0376
02-05-2011, 03:40 PM
i think its so funny how people are saying the cavs are quitting on themselves and are a laughing stock. its crazy all the thing you read about them. but then at the same time you people bashing lebron and calling him corny things like lebrick and lequit. and say he quit against the celtics. i honestly think he just woke up looked and the mirror and was just tired. he was tired of having to carry this team since he got drafted. gm was horrible(sorry ferry) coaches were horrible (sorry silas & brown) supporting cast was horrendous (sorry boobie, mo, sasha, hughes, and all the others that i didnt feel like mentioning) and it wasnt going uphill. everyone is saying that kobe, jordan, bird, and magic wouldnt have done what lebron did but in all honesty they didnt have to. all of them played with HOF players if not one multiple.

kobe=shaq, pau (cant count malone and gp because they were on a serious decline)
jordan=pippen and possibly rodman sooner or later
bird=bill walton(6th man of the year), mchale, dennis johnson, parish
magic=kareem, mcadoo, worthy
lebrons best players=a young boozer, an old big z, hughes, mo, ben wallace, jamison

now lets be real...can we really compare the situations? before this season lerbon didnt even know what it felt like to have a teamate average 20 plus even when he was a rookie. this just shows all you haters out there that lebron is hands down the most amazing guy in the league.

So how is that not quiting?? You pretty much said he quit, gave up, or whatever you wanna call it because he realized his team/coaches weren't good enough...

Yea his supporting cast probably wasn't good enough, but that's still no reason to just quit and basically pout over it...I didn't agree when Lebron did it and I didn't agree when Kobe did it against the Suns either..

LAKERMANIA
02-05-2011, 03:42 PM
:laugh: Did someone really say "couple" could be used for more than two?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: wow...

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
:laugh: Did someone really say "couple" could be used for more than two?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: wow...

I know!!!!!! haha

If I asked you for a couple dollars, you would give me 5 or 6???

Haha that does not make sense lol couple means 2 we should all know thay

Geargo Wallace
02-05-2011, 04:17 PM
We ain't goin' for one... we ain't goin' for two... we ain't goin' for thr... oh wait, yeah we're going for 2 wins.

Sactown
02-05-2011, 04:20 PM
BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR!!
WIZ @ CAVS! should be nationally televised

yangx620
02-05-2011, 04:24 PM
who cares draft a talented beast, hickson is a 6th man kind of guy

J-Relo
02-05-2011, 04:24 PM

In many other languages "couple" means two or a bit more, especially if used in a phrase or expression.
It's not a direct meaning of two, but the usual one.

LAKERMANIA
02-05-2011, 04:43 PM
In many other languages "couple" means two or a bit more, especially if used in a phrase or expression.
It's not a direct meaning of two, but the usual one.

I dont know I havent heard anyone say "the game will be over in a couple of minutes" and there is 6 minutes left in the game..

knicks4life33
02-05-2011, 04:45 PM
i wouldnt even say anything if i were him

hugepatsfan
02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
What a liar Hickson is... haha

MrfadeawayJB
02-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Feel bad for the Cavs and thier fans, even one of thier best players has low expectations for the team.

heathonater
02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
hopefully portland doesn't lose to the cavs and snap their long losing streak, because it would be embarassing to lose to a team that has clearly given up.

tdunk21
02-05-2011, 07:17 PM

after lakers lost to spurs, kobe said in the post game interview that he wanted to win couple games....does that mean he only wants to win 2 games the rest of the year??????

RZZZA
02-05-2011, 07:24 PM
after lakers lost to spurs, kobe said in the post game interview that he wanted to win couple games....does that mean he only wants to win 2 games the rest of the year??????

yes, couple means two.

People use words incorrectly all the time. Like, I can't count how many times people use the word literally when there's no way their meaning could be interpreted literally.

Bruno
02-05-2011, 07:26 PM
"A couple" does always mean two. More than a couple is "a few". Hickson clearly meant "a few" and needs to brush up on his English. :)

tdunk21
02-05-2011, 07:30 PM
yes, couple means two.

People use words incorrectly all the time. Like, I can't count how many times people use the word literally when there's no way their meaning could be interpreted literally.

so the OP should have just posted the news instead of expressing his feelings and converting JJ's words.....

it depends on the usage in a sentence.....out of 30 games left this season, JJ is unsure how many they will win or maybe we will lose all 30 games.....all he meant was to win a couple games in the 30 games left just like kobe said " win a couple games going forward"

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 07:35 PM
"A couple" does always mean two. More than a couple is "a few". Hickson clearly meant "a few" and needs to brush up on his English. :)

+1 :clap:

knightstemplar
02-05-2011, 08:05 PM

magichatnumber9
02-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Right now JJ wishes he could find a pair of emerald slippers. There's no place like a new home, There's no place like a new home.

FarOutIos
02-05-2011, 08:46 PM

I tried to tell my girlfriend the same thing... Then she slapped me.

RZZZA
02-05-2011, 09:08 PM
:laugh2:

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I tried to tell my girlfriend the same thing... Then she slapped me.

hahaha Your gf is smart

Shady66
02-05-2011, 09:55 PM
This reminds me of a funny quote from Whats eating Gilbert Grape

John C Reilly: Come on Gilbert shes not that big (referring to his mom) I once saw a guy at the state fair who was... a little bigger.