PDA

View Full Version : Detroit deactivates Rip Hamilton

StriveGreatness
02-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Just when you think there isnít any love to be lost at all between the Detroit Pistons and Rip Hamilton, news arrives in the latest tear in the once-strong relationship between franchise and player. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, Detroit has formally deactivated Hamilton, removing even the slightest possibility that heíll touch the court as a member of Pistons anytime soon. Then again, maybe this is a mere formality; Hamilton hasnít played in any of the Pistonsí last 12 games, so in this case the line between DNP-CD and DNP-Inactive is rather slim.

If there was somehow any doubt of the tenuousness of these relations, it should now be promptly removed. Hamilton looks to be quite available for any team that wants him, though at this point in his career Rip is neither the scorer nor the defender he once was. Itís hard to say exactly what Hamilton is worth in his present state ó even the minutes heís received this season have come inconsistently, and his role has hardly provided him firm footing on the year ó but he seems like little more than an average player with a bloated contract. Hamilton is due $12.7 million next season, and at least nine $9.0 million in the following year (that year is only partially guaranteed, meaning his team could choose to cut him and pay $9.0 million salary, or keep him and pay the full $12.7 million for that season as well). Thatís a lot of shekels for mediocrity, so any borderline team looking to add talent at the trade deadline should think long and hard before taking on that kind of salary commitment.

Hamilton could become Detroitís own Eddy Curry. If there arenít any takers at this seasonís trade deadline (which seems likely given his contract and concerns over a new collective bargaining agreement), Hamilton could become contractual dead weight. Detroit could be left with no other choice than to let Hamilton keep clogging up their cap room until his deal expires, which is a bit of a problem considering their currently underwhelming core and lack of avenues to improve.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/04/detroit-deactivates-rip-hamilton/

If a mod feels like moving this to the Pistons forum then do so, but I thought it was something I'd share with everyone. This essentially ends Rip's career in Detroit. I'm disgusted by the way this whole situation has been handled. Rip has been such a class guy on the court and off but they're treating him like freakin' dirt. Just disgusts me.

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 12:15 AM
This has gotten ugly

He helped that franchise get a ring and brought success to the team

That's sad how they treat him

netsgiantsyanks
02-05-2011, 12:16 AM
for what?? hes still somewhat serviceable

IAmKira
02-05-2011, 12:16 AM
messed up franchise. ******* the Pistons

IAmKira
02-05-2011, 12:17 AM

thats an insult to R.I.P.

Rivera
02-05-2011, 12:18 AM
orlando :pray:

beasted86
02-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Owner is stupid. Trade him or play him.

Even if you can't find a good deal, either trade him or play him. Letting him sit on the bench and fall into questionable conditioning isn't going to help a trade get done.

Afridi786
02-05-2011, 12:20 AM
I always hated his free throw routine, I'm glad I won't have to see it for a long time.

Chronz
02-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Does Rip not want to play or is Detroit just not playing him? I understood before it was because they thought they were going to move him and didnt want to risk him getting injured but may as well play the guy now. Makes no sense not to, still if Rip has taken offense to his DNP's and wants to be moved then hes going to sit out alot of games for a long time.

Hes not really worth playing ahead of the guys they are playing now nor is any team going to trade for him.

LTBaByyy
02-05-2011, 12:22 AM
He would be a beast with the Bulls!!!!!

Thats if they bought out that contract of course before he went to the Bulls

Gators123
02-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Does Rip not want to play or is Detroit just not playing him? I understood before it was because they thought they were going to move him and didnt want to risk him getting injured but may as well play the guy now. Makes no sense not to, still if Rip has taken offense to his DNP's and wants to be moved then hes going to sit out alot of games for a long time.

Hes not really worth playing ahead of the guys they are playing now nor is any team going to trade for him.

Kuester just doesn't want to play him.

pd7631
02-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Sixers have a couple expirings, and Rip would certainly be an upgrade over Meeks(although Meeks has done a nice job) at SG.

Any chance Detroit would go for that?

djeller1139
02-05-2011, 12:26 AM
I think he'd be perfect for the Bulls...

I'd love him on the Warriors, but we'd need to move a big contract, as in Andris Biedrins, but get a C back too...not sure if that would ever work.

KDM1986
02-05-2011, 12:28 AM
this is just wrong. Cant believe the pistons would do this to a player like Rip. Never been anything but a class act and the Pistons basically tell him to go F himself.

Gators123
And Rip hasn't been a great guy about this either.

"He had not responded to requests to talk, by both Joe Dumars and John Kuester, as of late last week, since being taken out of the rotation. He has been given many chances to sit down and talk about his current situation."

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2011/02/report_richard_hamilton_has_ha.html

ChI_ShIzzLe
Please buy him out so we can bring him to Chi Town!

iggypop123
02-05-2011, 12:29 AM
walton and artest for rip.

Gators123
02-05-2011, 12:29 AM

The team is for sale. Zero chance of him getting bought out.

mzgrizz
02-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Unreal. I thought it was a holdout to not get injured before a trade. He's got too much game left and shouldn't be treated this way. Ugly.

Gators123
02-05-2011, 12:30 AM

Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen :laugh2:

fadedmario
02-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Everyone hating the Pistons should chill. Our future (Monroe, Daye, Gordon) have been playing great and their numbers are climbing every game. It is a weird situation though. It's not like Rip is Starbury. His numbers this year aren't even that bad. McGrady's play could be a big reason he's on the bench too. Monroe and McGrady have been Detroit's best players the last 2 months.

StriveGreatness
02-05-2011, 12:35 AM

Coach is a dumbass.

messed up franchise. ******* the Pistons

Okay...nice input.

I always hated his free throw routine, I'm glad I won't have to see it for a long time.

Could end up being a Bull in the future.

Sixers have a couple expirings, and Rip would certainly be an upgrade over Meeks(although Meeks has done a nice job) at SG.

Any chance Detroit would go for that?

I don't know. I think they want to get an expiring+a pick out of him.

0.01% chance of that happening.

:laugh: :laugh:

Why? So Artest can get more beer thrown at him?

fadedmario
02-05-2011, 12:37 AM
I feel bad for Rip. He just doesn't fit in with what Detroit is trying to do right now. Hopefully he get's moved before the deadline...

RZZZA
02-05-2011, 12:38 AM
I've never seen any bulls fan in our forum talking about wanting rip hamilton

Tony_Starks
02-05-2011, 12:41 AM
What a great big sad spectacle. No way to treat someone who helped bring a chip to the D. I can see why he's upset, what is there to talk about? Its not his fault he plays with two scrub shoot first pg's who couldn't find him off a screen to save their lives. Its not his fault they overpaid him, or went out and squandered money in free agency.

Now he gets the Marbury treatment, sit home and get paid. Great.

Gators123
02-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Now he gets the Marbury treatment, sit home and get paid. Great.

He was on the bench, just not in uniform.

mttwlsn16
02-05-2011, 12:48 AM
what a pathetic franchise. he helps win championships, a good guy, and they do this. real classy detroit...why not just find a trade partner

mttwlsn16
02-05-2011, 12:50 AM

ummmmmmmmmm???
ya im sure detroit would just totally embrace ARTEST in their building :facepalm:

fadedmario
02-05-2011, 12:51 AM

Even if you can't find a good deal, either trade him or play him. Letting him sit on the bench and fall into questionable conditioning isn't going to help a trade get done.

Owner is a woman ;)

StriveGreatness
02-05-2011, 12:52 AM
what a pathetic franchise. he helps win championships, a good guy, and they do this. real classy detroit...why not just find a trade partner

A Clippers fan calling another franchise pathetic? That's rich.

And why not find a trade partner? It's not that easy. Rip doesn't have an easy contract to move.

dtmagnet
02-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Is this a move for the draft or what?

Chronz
02-05-2011, 12:56 AM
And Rip hasn't been a great guy about this ether.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2011/02/report_richard_hamilton_has_ha.html

Thought so, he doesnt understand the biz

fadedmario
02-05-2011, 12:56 AM
A Clippers fan calling another franchise pathetic? That's rich.

And why not find a trade partner? It's not that easy. Rip doesn't have an easy contract to move.

Especially a franchise with 3 different rings. :rolleyes:

cantstopthee
02-05-2011, 01:05 AM
It'd all because karen davidson. after bill died, we got ****ed. HARD. we can't do anything but ruin careers at this point.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-05-2011, 01:05 AM
thats so dam ****ed up...just trade him already.

FREE RIP!!!

StriveGreatness
02-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Is this a move for the draft or what?

I dunno. The Pistons have played better since Rip has been benched (now deactivated) Still shouldn't treat him this way.

It'd all because karen davidson. after bill died, we got ****ed. HARD. we can't do anything but ruin careers at this point.

I despise Karen Davidson.

abe_froman
02-05-2011, 01:17 AM
I've never seen any bulls fan in our forum talking about wanting rip hamilton

thats because he is worth what it would take to get him.

that contract is bad and they'd only get garbage back if they trade him(since all fans say no way they'll buy him out).i actually dont think its a bad move as far as lineup's are concerned,he only clutters the rotation...but no way does it help bring up his already low trade value

fadedmario
02-05-2011, 01:20 AM
I dunno. The Pistons have played better since Rip has been benched (now deactivated) Still shouldn't treat him this way.

I despise Karen Davidson.

Her daughter is the mom from the Twilight movies - lol

Faze
02-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Well, now we need to find a way to trade him.

effen5
02-05-2011, 01:24 AM
buy him out so the bulls can use him.

fadedmario
02-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Utah should take a shot. He would make that team better.

OT Thriller
02-05-2011, 04:04 AM

Hamilton for Okur? Boom.

5ass
02-05-2011, 04:18 AM
im hoping he goes to the bulls

ragee
02-05-2011, 04:18 AM

That's a good idea... Maybe AK for him... I don't know if their contact though...

dodie53
02-05-2011, 04:23 AM
just trade him.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-05-2011, 07:52 AM
lakers:pray:

icej
02-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Sucks to see a player his caliber just go to waste. The Bulls team should be much better with him.

I don't know the reason, but whatever it is, this is too much of move against one of your you core championship player.

NBA-GMaster
02-05-2011, 09:16 AM
need to trade him for an expiring contract and 2nd rd pick..

levignjw
02-05-2011, 09:29 AM

You know what they say: don't throw stones in you live in a ****ing glass house my man.

Detroit HAS been trying to trade Rip but I do not think there are many teams out there willing to take on his salary. At the end of the day though even if you're not getting fair value in the trade, I would still pull the trigger so we could get something out of him.

I've always loved Rip but this team has been playing very well as of late with him sitting on the bench and at the end of the day it's about winning games, not making friends.

Phenomenonsense
02-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Lol. The Pistons are a bad franchise? What about the fact that Joe D offered rip an extension, traded Billups, then Rip voiced how unhappy he was with the situation, and Joe D, obviously sensing this might be a bad deal for both of them, didn't pull the offer.

And I'm sure Rip will be moved for some expirings and maybe a second rounder.

Mplsman
02-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Send him to a contender already.

Malz28
02-05-2011, 09:59 AM
damn shame.....

Purugskid
02-05-2011, 10:22 AM
wow, just get him on a contender at any cost

netsgiantsyanks
02-05-2011, 10:41 AM
thats an insult to R.I.P.

im not tryna insult him, i know what hes capable of. im just saying, to deactivate someone he has to be terrible or doing something bad. and rip was doing one of the above.

Stuckey#3
02-05-2011, 11:00 AM

Not to mention he has led the Pistons in scoring for the past six seasons. Rip is not a good locker room by any means... and does not work with the young guys as much as guys like Ben... but based on his accomplishments alone deserves better. I have never seen a basketball franchise treat a player this way for no apparent reason.

Stuckey#3
02-05-2011, 11:03 AM
I personally blame Kuester... he and Karen Davidson represent everything that is wrong with the franchise. For all the talent the Pistons have they should be winning a lot more. Kuester's calls have blown a lot of games for us this year as well.

Mr.Chi-Town
02-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Coach is a dumbass.

Okay...nice input.

Could end up being a Bull in the future.

I don't know. I think they want to get an expiring+a pick out of him.

0.01% chance of that happening.

:laugh: :laugh:

Why? So Artest can get more beer thrown at him?

Like they said about us getting the first overall pick to get rose? lol

Raoul Duke
02-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Sigh. Well, if he had any trade value before, it's gone now.

This just makes no sense on any level. We're short bodies and we're paying him 12 million a year, and now we're going to take him out of the rotation altogether? I'm not saying that I think he'd be easy to move, but you can't tell me there are no deals to be made. There are other bad contracts and malcontents we could have swapped him for in an effort to get some value out of our 12 million in salary.

Sly Guy
02-05-2011, 01:42 PM
I can see RIP doing good things in Chi-town

LakersIn5
02-05-2011, 01:51 PM
trade him god damn pistons front office. you suck. youre just lucky that billups turned out to be what he is also with sheed,rip,prince and ben's team chemistry. if not you wouldnt have won in 2004. you just keep on doing bad decisions. drafting milicic over melo,wade,bosh,walton. then trading billups. then signing ben gordon and charlie villanueva for stupid long and huge contracts a summer before the lebron,wade,bosh,amare,boozer,dirk,jj,gay sweepstakes. then now you deactive hamilton. just trade him and prince. they wont accomplish anything anymore in detroit. trade them to a contender.

Gram
02-05-2011, 01:54 PM

88% for most of his career. I lovvit because it works. ;)

Gram
02-05-2011, 02:03 PM
trade him god damn pistons front office. you suck. youre just lucky that billups turned out to be what he is also with sheed,rip,prince and ben's team chemistry. if not you wouldnt have won in 2004. you just keep on doing bad decisions. drafting milicic over melo,wade,bosh,walton. then trading billups. then signing ben gordon and charlie villanueva for stupid long and huge contracts a summer before the lebron,wade,bosh,amare,boozer,dirk,jj,gay sweepstakes. then now you deactive hamilton. just trade him and prince. they wont accomplish anything anymore in detroit. trade them to a contender.

No need to harp. We won the chip that year.
Ben Gordon was probably the best free agent that year. So I'm glad we got him for the future.
Also LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Boozer, Dirk, JJ, and Gay were not coming to Detroit. They never will.

I agree with the rest though.

Kakaroach
02-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Pretty sad this is happening, just buy him out already.

Ty Fast
02-05-2011, 02:04 PM
trade him to denver for kenyon martin

smith&wesson
02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
since butler went down for the season, maybe dallas will get him.

Ollie Tabooger
02-05-2011, 02:09 PM

lol walton

WizFan3
02-05-2011, 02:19 PM
both the team and himself havnt been great with handling this situation. theyre deff trading him

WeBallin
02-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Hamilton time has ran its course, Rip was not playin well an with a team loaded with young unproven talent in Daye, Summers, Monroe.....JJ when he gets back! i mean it looks like it better to sit him an have some young guys play so we can see what they can do, errrbody talks about JOE D, but half the other GM don't have 6 ECF appearance an a 2 rings as a player an anotha as a GM, an also if u want to bring up the Billiups trade, it was Joe D who gave Billiups the option to return home to denver to play in front of his home team, so if Joe was this super bad GM i hardly think he would have done that to Billiups, Hamilton has been known to act like a beetch remember back in Wash? Hamilton lost his skills soon after Billiups Left i say NEXT to RIP have a good day thanks for the memories, an good luck else where, but if they want you they gonna have to give us what we want of he will sit an we'll let him walk next year its not like we a championship contender anyway. but what i don't want us to do is trade just to say we traded. Play the PS3, NBA2k11 if u just wanna make trades for the h3ll of it, or use the trade machine which ever u prefer.....

Lake_Show2416
02-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Idk what's Detroit doing.. 1st off u don't treat a man that's won a title for you like dirt

2nd how long r they going to hold on to their 2 valuable assets Prince and Hamilton??

They need to just trade them, get something for them n go completely young to rebuild

Tony_Starks
02-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Kuester is really delusional. He's talking all positive about "there's plenty of season left" and this season is far from a waste and blah blah blah... Is he serious? Does he think they're contending for the title or something? Meanwhile Prince and Wallace are publicly disagreeing with him.

Ben said it was a slap in the face. He said they made things personal. WTF are they looking to accomplish besides show who's boss on a pathetic team?

IversonIsKrazy
02-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I hope he gets bought out to be a FA. THen signs with Bulls, who desperatly need that SG. But RIP doesn't deserve this, a real class act. I don't understand why he went out of the rotation 2 begin with, hes still a good role player.

flclfanman
02-05-2011, 06:05 PM
So much for buying out Rip's contract :cry:

Bruno
02-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Are they going to ship him? They should contact NJ and another team and make a three-way-trade around Rip, Murphy, and somebody else or a package happen.

FlashMacker
02-05-2011, 06:27 PM

The Pistons don't have an owner right now.

FlashMacker
02-05-2011, 06:29 PM
No need to harp. We won the chip that year.
Ben Gordon was probably the best free agent that year. So I'm glad we got him for the future.
Also LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Boozer, Dirk, JJ, and Gay were not coming to Detroit. They never will.
I agree with the rest though.

I think Boozer might have if Dumars would've waited another year to spend the money

Legit
02-05-2011, 06:38 PM

It's called they are, no one wants his big contract. Do some research before you talk.

kobebabe
02-05-2011, 06:41 PM
That goes to show how players are money making machines for a franchise rather than normal human beings with real feelings. Once the machine is broken or about to break down, toss it and replace it with a brand new more modern one that will fetch you more money, AKA new younger players.
it's sad though how these aging players are treated towards the end of their career. Look at what AI went through.

Legit
02-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Like they said about us getting the first overall pick to get rose? lol

Lucky as hell.

DamnGoat
02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Lucky as hell.
It's a draft lottery, so luck is involved every single year. It's not the first time a team with a low probability of winning the lottery actually won it.

Anyway, I don't see why the Pistons don't just buy him out. At this point he's just dead weight and nobody is going to trade for that terrible contract.

mohye
02-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Trade him to the Lakers Walton plus tpe from the sasha trade for Rip..

Saves the Pistons about half of rips contract

StriveGreatness
02-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Nevermind! Rip is suited up tonight and about to check in!

So, he was deactivated for 1 game or the media blew it out of proportion, as usual.

fadedmario
02-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Rip is playing!!!!!

fadedmario
02-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Joe D must have read PSD

Muttman73
02-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Would like to see him in Chicago, bet he winds up in Miami or LA though...

fadedmario
02-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Rip 11 points in 9 minutes (first half)

AddiX
02-05-2011, 10:49 PM
As a Knicks fan i loved the team Detroit use to have, still bothers me they blew that team up. Best defensive team of our time.

TheDetroitBlue
02-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Thats funny pathetic franchise, eh? your clippers zero championships getting to yea?

Ill take our one in 2004 over the heavily favoured lakers and being one of the premier teams up to 2008 over the zero championships

so please cmon man think

Sadds The Gr8
02-05-2011, 11:15 PM
they need to trade Rip...this is pathetic.

and trade Prince so Daye can be the starting SF. Austin Daye is nasty.

Hiphopopotamus
02-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Look at the Detroit roster overall, remember when many thought Joe D could do no wrong (even after Darko!).

TheDetroitBlue
02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Look at the Detroit roster overall, remember when many thought Joe D could do no wrong (even after Darko!).

Although he has made some bad moves recently people need to remember he built the powerhouse that was the pistons up till 2008 bringing in Rasheed and Big Ben, drafting Prince, bringing in Billups which all resulted in the 2004 upset championship

But you are correct recently I believe he has made some bad moves

PHX2daDEATH
02-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Barkley hit the nail on the head when he said the team hasnt been the same since Sheed left.. think about it.. they aquire him they win a title.. they lose him and they dont even make the playoffs? I've always loved Rip as a player.. reminded me of a Smaller Reggie Miller the way he could come off screens and shoot.. and i've always yearned to see him play in a Phoenix uniform next to Nash, because i think he'd thrive in the up-tempo game... what do you say.. Vince for Rip and Maxiell?

icej
02-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Joe D must have read PSD

Yeah! :clap::D

But seriously, Detroit should trade him they at least owe that to him on being utilized like this. He is still a starter on many teams.

C-Wick925
02-05-2011, 11:50 PM
It's a draft lottery, so luck is involved every single year. It's not the first time a team with a low probability of winning the lottery actually won it.

Anyway, I don't see why the Pistons don't just buy him out. At this point he's just dead weight and nobody is going to trade for that terrible contract.

Do you not read anything in the thread before you post? Let me explain to you people.

The team is for sale. buying out RIPs contract would involve paying more than the remainder of this years salary. Ms. Davidson would like to sell the team asap. therfore she would not be responsible for anymore salarys thus RIPs contract would be the new owners problem.... GET IT:confused:

icej
02-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Barkley hit the nail on the head when he said the team hasnt been the same since Sheed left.. think about it.. they aquire him they win a title.. they lose him and they dont even make the playoffs? I've always loved Rip as a player.. reminded me of a Smaller Reggie Miller the way he could come off screens and shoot.. and i've always yearned to see him play in a Phoenix uniform next to Nash, because i think he'd thrive in the up-tempo game... what do you say.. Vince for Rip and Maxiell?

Come to think of it, that is a very good trade for phoenix. With Rip's game of constant movement on the floor, he and nash should be a great veteran tandem. We could see nash averaging 15 assist with Rips game.