PDA

View Full Version : What team has a brighter future? Celtics or Spurs

daboywonder2002
02-04-2011, 06:10 PM
I know its early but both teams have about a 2 year run before its all over.

1, celtics core- rondo/perkins. you got your point guard and center in place. big 3 need to be replaced. and im sure doc will be gone by then to be with family.

2. spurs- not sure if parker is part of the core or not. Im thinking when duncan goes, they rebuild from scratch. maybe keep dejuan blair. i dont know.

But what team do you see a brighter future for? which team is gonna have an easier time rebuilding??

Raps08-09 Champ
02-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Celtics.

They got arguably the best perimeter defender and one of the best post defenders(Though he's an expiring and might leave)so they should be good.

dhopisthename
02-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I think the celtics by just a tic because of rondo

Hustlenomics
02-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Rondo

Jewelz0376
02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Spurs have hill and blair

celtics have rondo, perk, and big baby

advantage bos

k.smith904
02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
The Spurs.

It's easy to guard Rondo and Davis (the only two other scorers) when there aren't 3 potential HOF'ers on the floor. They'll revert back to mediocrity in a few years.

ManRam
02-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Celtics have Rondo, but SA has the best coach in the NBA IMO.

I think predicting either of their futures more than a few years down the road is just a complete toss up. Who knows. I'm sure both will be fine.

daboywonder2002
02-04-2011, 06:21 PM
I think boston may actually have a hard time because with rondo and perk. i think they will be a middle of the pack team like the pierce/walker days. good enough for a playoff spot but not high enough for a lottery pick. I think the spurs have a better chance at sucking enabling them to get a top 5 pick.

Enemey
02-04-2011, 06:21 PM
I say the Spurs. That organization knows how to draft players and keep the Spurs competitive. I honestly think FO gets overshadowed by Pop and Tim Duncan. But then again Jerry Krause thought the same thing and it took the Bulls what 10-11 years to be competitive?

daboywonder2002
02-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Celtics have Rondo, but SA has the best coach in the NBA IMO.

I think predicting either of their futures more than a few years down the road is just a complete toss up. Who knows. I'm sure both will be fine.

lets see how good pop is when duncan retires. I think they both walk at the same time though. once duncan retires, i think pop goes with him.

ttam68
02-04-2011, 06:24 PM
The Celtics have a star in Rondo, but the Spurs have the better pieces and the better FO

Enemey
02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah I see the Celtics trading Rondo away when they don't have the Big 3 anymore, what good use is rondo when he can't score? How is he going to get his assist when theres no HOF's playing with him?

Hustlenomics
02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
The Spurs.

It's easy to guard Rondo and Davis (the only two other scorers) when there aren't 3 potential HOF'ers on the floor. They'll revert back to mediocrity in a few years.

so ignorant

beasted86
02-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Spurs.

Popovich > Rivers (or whoever his successor might be).

That alone makes me think 2 years down the road the Spurs are better off.

ManRam
02-04-2011, 06:27 PM
lets see how good pop is when duncan retires. I think they both walk at the same time though. once duncan retires, i think pop goes with him.

I agree. Hard to know exactly how he'll do...but Duncan certainly isn't the only reason this team is great any more. I think there is no better X and O's coach in the league. He's a genius.

I also agree with Enemy...that FO is great. They know how to draft...not sure Boston's can say the same.

SteveNash
02-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Celtics

Raidaz4Life
02-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Easily the Celtics.

Ray
02-04-2011, 06:44 PM
the spurs know how to draft, as long as they have that front office they will be relatively competitive even when duncan and ginobli call it a career.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
02-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Danny Ainge will make something happen

Agar81
02-04-2011, 06:53 PM
The C's drafting is not that bad. We got a great 6th man in Big Baby with a second rounder, and a superstar in Rondo about 5 years back (some picks like Pruitt have been bad though).

haggis
02-04-2011, 07:05 PM
I also agree with Enemy...that FO is great. They know how to draft...not sure Boston's can say the same.

^this

The Spurs FO have proven time and time again they know how to scout and develop players, not even mentioning the job they do at stashing foreign players. I think the Spurs FO is top 3 in the league, if not the best.

Kashmir13579
02-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Rondo.

Kashmir13579
02-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Who am i kidding? with the way the Spurs draft and if Pop sticks around they are always in the Convo.

Enemey
02-04-2011, 07:14 PM
The C's drafting is not that bad. We got a great 6th man in Big Baby with a second rounder, and a superstar in Rondo about 5 years back (some picks like Pruitt have been bad though).

But the Spurs FO is just better. The Celtics did Draft Joe Johnson and Billups but traded them before they gave them a chance to develop.

HoopsDrive
02-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Splitter

todu82
02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
The Celtics

NYKalltheway
02-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Only the future will tell. You can't just assume that the current young ones are gonna be the leaders of their teams. What stops Boston from getting Blake Griffin or San Antonio from getting Deron Williams? (just examples)

I do think that San Antonio will find it easier to transition from a post-Duncan era than the Celtics since a) the Celtics have more old players and b) Duncan has more influence on the Spurs on his own, which could be a counter-statement but I think they will have no problems making the playoffs during their 'rebuilding' period.

Joshtd1
02-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Rondo..Davis..Bradley..Perkins?

Hill/Anderson/Splitter/Blair

Just depends on how each team drafts next couple years, and how the guys like Splitter/Anderon/Bradley progress

hugepatsfan
02-04-2011, 08:29 PM
BOS has the only young top level player on either side. They also play in the East, which is an advantage. However, SA has done a better job at drafting. I think this is pretty close.

zB_#85
02-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Celts. Seemingly easy answer to this question. However, Spurs are a class organization and well ran so I wouldn't really count them out.

thekmp211
02-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I know its early but both teams have about a 2 year run before its all over.

1, celtics core- rondo/perkins. you got your point guard and center in place. big 3 need to be replaced. and im sure doc will be gone by then to be with family.

2. spurs- not sure if parker is part of the core or not. Im thinking when duncan goes, they rebuild from scratch. maybe keep dejuan blair. i dont know.

But what team do you see a brighter future for? which team is gonna have an easier time rebuilding??

celtics core - rondo, perkins, big baby, avery bradley, erdhen. obviously the big three needs to be replaced but they have some young guys in place

spurs core - blair, hill, neal, anderson, splitter, bonner. again three stars but they have a decent young core.

id say the spurs are a little bit better off the bat, but boston will have a ton of cap space and a certified superstar pg to lure talent. ill go with boston.

Geargo Wallace
02-04-2011, 09:56 PM
It really depends on the talent that they can bring in when most of their core leaves. I think the Spurs might get someone good when Timothy calls it quits. Advantage Boston for sure though.

Lim
02-04-2011, 10:03 PM
u guys really think pop will stick around when duncan,ginobli, and parker are gone? i dont. i think hes gonna jump ship as soon as they all retire. he wont wanna risk ruining his rep by showing that the only reason he was a good coach is cause he had immense talent around him. (not saying the only reason he is good is cause he has/had hall of famers)

Corey
02-04-2011, 10:34 PM
The Spurs, historically, draft a whole lot better than the C's.

Ainge is great at making moves, but the Spurs have arguably the best scouting in the league.

210Don
02-04-2011, 11:01 PM
u guys really think pop will stick around when duncan,ginobli, and parker are gone? i dont. i think hes gonna jump ship as soon as they all retire. he wont wanna risk ruining his rep by showing that the only reason he was a good coach is cause he had immense talent around him. (not saying the only reason he is good is cause he has/had hall of famers)

yeah he said he wants to coach after td retires. he said that before since it seemed like a long time he would leave but now that thats not very far away he still loves to coach and will even after timmy leaves. but you never know.
and rondo is great but i love our core guys when timmy & manu leave we have to get a superstar with so much cap space, someone will come here,and our FO will not throw many at anybody they dont take the best available player, i trust our front office so much.

bulldog312
02-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Rondo is a huge question mark in my opinion. He is fantastic as distributing the ball to the future hall of famers he is playing with now and is a great fit. But what happens when they leave? He won't be able to simply keep playing the same way he has been (assuming they can't trade for more stars or get lucky in the draft). And let me be clear, I'm not saying he can't adjust his playing style and continue to be a good player. I'm just saying it will be interesting to see how his career progresses without them.

Joshtd1
02-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Really not sure how people are saying "its not even close" for the Celtics.

Raph12
02-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Celts - They have Ray, KG and Perk expiring in '12 so as long as the CBA doesn't change too much, they'll have money to blow, with Rondo and Pierce as bait

DerekRE_3
02-05-2011, 02:13 AM
Spurs. Hill, Blair, Anderson, Parker is still decently young, Splitter. Plus the Spurs are geniuses at drafting so they will get a few more guys in the draft the next couple years.

Giraffes Rule
02-05-2011, 02:50 AM
celtics core - rondo, perkins, big baby, avery bradley, erdhen. obviously the big three needs to be replaced but they have some young guys in place

spurs core - blair, hill, neal, anderson, splitter, bonner. again three stars but they have a decent young core.

id say the spurs are a little bit better off the bat, but boston will have a ton of cap space and a certified superstar pg to lure talent. ill go with boston.

How is Bonner part of the core (he's 30, will turn 31 in a couple months) but Parker isn't?

Spurs. More talent, and better talent in my opinion. Rondo is a fantastic passing point guard, but he's not a scoring threat in the way you'd like for a star player to build your team around. Their other young players I don't see as much more than quality bench players/fringe starters. George Hill, Dejuan Blair, and Gary Neal could all be productive starters right now.

bklynny67
02-05-2011, 03:15 AM

lol Rondo a superstar now? i must have missed something. i didnt know a career avg of 10.7 ppg and 7.4 apg and being a good defender means you're a superstar now.

this leagues has tons of superstars apparently.

Caveman508
02-05-2011, 03:17 AM
The Spurs coaching situation is far less cloudy than Boston...

but Rondo/Baby/ Perk/Bradley

give or take a few seasons gathering some good draft picks

I hate to think back to the way Boston Celtics were so bad never won but I watched, I think Doc comes back after a lockout if it happens and or a season if there isnt one

Spurs have Blair and Hill

its not so cut and dry

advantage Boston by a hair with the younger more developed talent

BkOriginalOne
02-05-2011, 03:29 AM
Spurs' core : Parker, Hill, Neal, Blair, Splitter
Celtics Core: Rondo, Perkins, Davis, Erden (maybe)

On Paper I would say the Celtics. However, in the real world I think that the Spurs' core will stay intact because Pop will always coach them. I honestly think that after the Big 3 fall off, Rondo will resign as their franchise player (he has the chance to be the greatest celtic PG of all time) and they will try to build around him. Perkins, I think be the one who walks. Glen Davis will get offers that the Celtics won't match and he will go. Rivers will also be out.

Brighter future... Spurs because of their coach and organization

MickeyMgl
02-05-2011, 03:38 AM
Spurs

ragee
02-05-2011, 03:55 AM
Should have put a poll... I pick SA... Although the Celts will have the best player in Rondo... SA has the best coach in the league and I do believe they are one of if not the best in drafting players... I think it would not take a long time for them to be contenders again after Duncan and Manu retire...

UnWantedTheory
02-05-2011, 04:17 AM
George Hill,Tiago Splitter,James Anderson,Gary Neal,& Dejuan Blair. The Spurs have been known to find very good players, so I am going to go with them atm. Also, despite Tony Parker's miles, he isn't ancient at 28.

J-Relo
02-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Celtics have Rondo and Perkins. But somehow i don't see them getting good enough replacements for Pierce, Garnett and Allen.

I would go with the Spurs. They are too good at the draft :D

JasonJohnHorn
02-05-2011, 05:55 AM
In terms of future, I see it like this: Parker and Ginobili are around four another 5 or 6 years (Parker especially, Ginnobilit maybe 3 or 4) playing at a very productive level. Splitter and Blair are two youn bug guys (well, Blair isnt so big, but he plays like a guy who is 6'11), so have four players of that calibre, plus gary Neal and George Hill is very young, Bonner is a solid role player, and Richard Jefferson is only 30 and still a great player.

With the guys they have bineg as young as they are, coupled with the fact that I think Pop, like Sloan, is apt to stay with the team and their draft picks always turn out well, I have to say that the Spurs, no doubt, have the brighter future.

Rondo is the best player under 30 between the two teams, no doubt, and Perkin is a solid defender, but lacks offence and rebounding, and Boston has gone through coaches like water in the past, while their draft picks have not made that huge an impact.

When Shaq and O'Neal and Garnett and Piecre and Allen all retire, there will not be much left with for Rondo to work with. Keep in mind he's got 4 future HOFers to pass to right now.

SA has more younger talents, more guys in early 30's who will stick around for a few, a long-term coach and better scouts. The choice is easy for me.

Daze9900
02-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Who cares? Both teams have a window of opportunity right now; why compare apples and oranges; they aren't even in the same conference. 2 years from now the window will be closed on both of them as teams like the heat, thunder will surpass them.

Iron24th
02-05-2011, 08:10 AM
The Spurs,Hill,Blair,splitter and still TP.