PDA

View Full Version : Is Erik Spoelstra A Good Coach?

Savage Sunday
02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Simple Poll Question.

We've seen Spoelstra lead the Heat for 3 seasons now. You can take into account his success/failures as well as his X's & O's or how much of a motivator he is to his players.

dnewguy
02-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Honestly? NAH.

210Don
02-04-2011, 04:40 PM
i wouldnt want him as my teams coach.

h2r09
02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
GREAT coach. has his guys prepared, not afraid to take heat (no pun intended), great defensive coach, has successfully brought 3 stars to buy into his philosophy. he is a future red auerbach with the amount of winning he will do in the future from a young age.

J-Relo
02-04-2011, 04:43 PM
good coach - yes.
great coach? - we'll see.

justinnum1
02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
you cant say he's bad until after the playoffs. But he is not great, lets leave it at that, and not better than riles

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Lets see how well he do in the playoffs

dwadefan03
02-04-2011, 04:47 PM
yes absolutely

ttam68
Yes.

They were a playoff team with no talent around DWade. Now, they're contenders with no legitimate post players and an awful bench. He managed to mesh 2 superstar players and a 3rd who thought he was a superstar into a great defensive unit and they do just enough on offense.

D Roses Bulls
GREAT coach. has his guys prepared, not afraid to take heat (no pun intended), great defensive coach, has successfully brought 3 stars to buy into his philosophy. he is a future red auerbach with the amount of winning he will do in the future from a young age.

well you just insulted probably every celtics fan on this site and one of the greatest coaches ever.

GeekInThePink
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Good, yes. Great, too early too tell

biglord
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
no he's not, he just stands there and let wade and bron run the show, everybody on that team knows what he has to say comes in thrid to wade ,bron, he cant tell those guy anything they do what they want to do.

SteBO
02-04-2011, 04:50 PM
no he's not, he just stands there and let wade and bron run the show, everybody on that team knows what he has to say comes in thrid to wade ,bron, he cant tell those guy anything they do what they want to do.

You just described Mike Brown, not Spo.

kjoke
02-04-2011, 04:51 PM
time will tell.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Not really.

There are coaches under .500 teams who are better than him. I'd take Byron Scott(Cavs), Doug Collins(76ers), Avery Johnson(Nets), and Flip Saunders(Wizards) just to name a few.

He just has the luxury of playing with Wade last year and now LBJ and Bosh as well.

LionsFan..LOL
02-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Good yes great not yet. What he does in the post season will really be the judge of that. And no he won't be the next Red Auerbach.

Tony_Starks
02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Very good coach. Kept them competitive with minimal talent past couple years. Didn't panic when everyone declared his season over after it barely began. Cool under pressure. Manages egos well. Has found a way to utilize two players that are used to dominating the ball and still get high productivity from both.

goeatfish63
02-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Yea he's a very good. Not great but he can be eventually. Ppl on this site hate on him so much becuz he's the Miami heat coach. But nba players respect him completely becuz he is a very very smart guy. And is a great defensive coach. Heat haters love to compare him to mike brown just becuz he has lebron on the team, in reality he is the complete opposite, lebron and spo clashed in the beginning of the season becuz spo wasn't letting him get away with all he was getting away with in Cleveland. Eventually lebron bought into the system. He's not afraid of the pressure and he's not afraid to call out lebron or wade. He's a good coach. And we'll see if he can become great

J-Relo
02-04-2011, 05:08 PM
he's only 40.
how many coaches this age gets the opportunity to coach in the NBA?

beasted86
02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
He is a good defensive coach.

Offensively he's down there with the worst of them.

thekmp211
02-04-2011, 05:35 PM
i think he's done a good job this year. lets see how he handles possible playoff adversity.

DITKA4GOV
02-04-2011, 05:48 PM
It appears from the outside looking in that Erik Spoelstra is a sufficient coach... good not great. Erik doesn't have anything coaching/strategy wise that stands out among other elite coaches yet. With saying that, Riley has let Erik drive the multi-million dollar ship so far, so he has to be doing something right. He is almost like a top notch AAU coach, with a team of blue chippers. Roll the ball out there and let them go play. When Lebron and Bosh conceded that they couldn't win the big one without combining forces with Wade, that put the pressure on Spoelstra. We all know the expectations are high. The Heat don't make it to the Finals this year or next, is Erik Spoelstra still coach in 2012-13? I doubt it... but than again only my opinion.

The Heat have the firepower, it's his job to mold this "squad" into a Championship "team".

NYKalltheway
02-04-2011, 07:27 PM
At this point with the team he possesses, it doesn't really matter if you're a good coach or not. It matters most if he can handle the roster off-court more than the on-court. I think having both Lebron and Wade on the same team means the coach is required to think less!

But I do not think Spoelstra will ever be considered as one of NBA's greats if that's the definition of good. Because at least 25 coaches in the NBA right now are good, otherwise they'd be in the D-League or on the unemployment payroll

RZZZA
02-04-2011, 07:40 PM
He has great teeth. Celebrity-style teeth, so white.

SF25
02-04-2011, 07:43 PM
The dude somehow managed to get the Heat to the playoffs last season when they had nothing other than Wade. So is he a good coach? Yes. Is he a great coach? As a lot of people have said that remains to be seen.

HoopsDrive
02-04-2011, 07:49 PM
He's pretty good running defensive schemes from what I've seen in Heat games. Offensively, needs a bit more work. Then again, you don't need to run a lot of offensive plays when you got James and Wade...

footballer2369
02-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Not really.

There are coaches under .500 teams who are better than him. I'd take Byron Scott(Cavs), Doug Collins(76ers), Avery Johnson(Nets), and Flip Saunders(Wizards) just to name a few.

He just has the luxury of playing with Wade last year and now LBJ and Bosh as well.

I would give you Avery Johnson, but none of the other coaches compare well to Spo.

Spo is good not great. Very good prep/ defensive coach. Not the sharpest in game strategist.

He seems to be learning and improving, slowly but surely. Moving Arroyo out of the starting lineup was a good sign.

Lim
02-04-2011, 10:10 PM
he reminds me of a doctor. his actions, the way he talks.. everything. he is very young for a coach but the way he talks makes u trust in him or believe everything he says.... like a doctor

KingPosey
02-04-2011, 10:23 PM
I wouldnt really be happy if he was the coach of the Kings. But I dont think he is "bad".

knicks4life33
02-05-2011, 06:08 AM
i could look like a great coach if i just play lebron wade and bosh and let them do there thing lol and yea he made the plaoffs last year but the east is weak we all know this and whoever said he is the next red auerbach just remmove ureself from psd lol

icej
02-05-2011, 08:56 AM
he's only 40.
how many coaches this age gets the opportunity to coach in the NBA?

And add his being a coach that started at the bottom (literally) of the organization. He is not an ex NBA player/star just a simple video editor I think.

I just hope he succeeds, the NBA needs more humble stories like his.

kobebabe
02-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Not sure yet. lets see how he does in playoffs before we judge him

NBA-GMaster
02-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Yes, he's a good coach but not a great coach..

Shmontaine
02-05-2011, 09:21 AM
a lot of people thought mike brown was a good coach too... It's the lebron effect... where was all this spoelstra talk when Miami was in last place???

magichatnumber9
02-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry but nobody posting on this great website is qualified to make that judgment. I think

J-Relo
02-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm sorry but nobody posting on this great website is qualified to make that judgment. I think

and who is then?

TheDiggler
02-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I voted NO. Not because I'm hater ... just think he's an okay-coach. But, not great.

TheDiggler
02-05-2011, 09:54 AM

We can judge Monta. So we can judge Spoelstra, too. :burn:

marlinsfan24
02-05-2011, 11:55 AM
a lot of people thought mike brown was a good coach too... It's the lebron effect... where was all this spoelstra talk when Miami was in last place???

When was Miami in last place with Spo as coach.

footballer2369
02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
When was Miami in last place with Spo as coach.

We weren't. The last time we were anywhere near last place was with Riley.

JayW_1023
02-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Yes. I think he has handled all the drama calmly and like a real professional. People forget how he made the Heat overachieve the past two seasons.

He is one of the best young coaches in the NBA.

Hoopsadvocate
02-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Great defensive coach: look at our def rating last year with the scrubs on our team as proof. And we are still near the top this year.

Avg offensive coach:I say avg and not bad because when the players do follow the get out and run scheme we do well but it seems in the half court its a bunch of screen and rolls and isos (but i dont blame him for the isos i know that lebron/wade doing)

So overall hes good not great (yet) But he is young and like a young player who i good there is a long way to go.

How i wish the KNicks would fire dantoni and we could make him our offensive coordinator.

Hoopsadvocate
02-05-2011, 12:55 PM

1. All this spolestar talk??? this is the 1st thread about the guy... wtf are u talking about.

2. Miami was never in last place with spo as head coach... again wtf are u talking about

We were 5 seed team with him and made two playoff appearences. His teams have always finished with a high defensive rating and has nothing but good things said about him from every coach in the league. For a young head coach thats great he can only get better.

masalex1205
02-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I think he's a great coach, so underrated

KadeB
02-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Year 1, He took a team that was 15-67 the year before and took them to the playoffs,also got d-wades best individual season ever, year 2 he took a team that was full of upcoming free agents and again took them to the playoffs, he got lebron, bosh and Wade to buy in so yes he's a great coach

J_M_B
02-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Shows how much you know about this organization..

This is Erik's 3rd season as an NBA head coach. He has taken this team to the post-season both of the previous years. Spo doesn't get the credit that he desereves. This man puts in a lot of work to get everyone on the right page. He has an amazing work ethic, proven by all the late nights he stays up watching film that has been reported. If you actually can have a conversation with him or watch an interview, you'll be surprised of how much knowledge he has about the game, definitely one of the best young basketball minds we have in the game today. He isn't great yet, Erik is only 42(I think).

Pat Riley knew what he was doing, when he named Spo the head coach.

Insane
02-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Nah

Gambeezy
02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
He's not great. Barely good in my opinion. The only reason I say he's good is because he's a defensive minded coach. He drills defense into all of their heads. He's exceptionally bad at drawing up plays. That is why we are bad at closing out games (despite having 2 great closers).

Dade County
02-05-2011, 07:08 PM
No!

I still want Pat to Coach this team.

DamnGoat
02-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't watch enough Heat games to really say, but having LeBron & Wade on your team is gonna make even the worst coaches look good.

icej
02-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Shows how much you know about this organization..

This is Erik's 3rd season as an NBA head coach. He has taken this team to the post-season both of the previous years. Spo doesn't get the credit that he desereves. This man puts in a lot of work to get everyone on the right page. He has an amazing work ethic, proven by all the late nights he stays up watching film that has been reported. If you actually can have a conversation with him or watch an interview, you'll be surprised of how much knowledge he has about the game, definitely one of the best young basketball minds we have in the game today. He isn't great yet, Erik is only 42(I think).

Pat Riley knew what he was doing, when he named Spo the head coach.

Right on, at just 3yrs into his position he got a lot of miles ahead, he's already a good coach, not great but he is on the right track to be even just better.

Give him time and some slack.

Tony_Starks
02-05-2011, 10:48 PM

Actually its quite the opposite. He holds Lebron and Wade accountable and reportedly it took Lebron a while to get used to that level of accountability he wasn't getting in Cleveland.....

jim51990
02-05-2011, 10:49 PM
i think hes a very good coach who could potentially be great i base this more on that team last year, and maybe i should credit wade more then spo but the way both of them have got wade to pass the team over to lebron in a sense

dc5jdm
02-05-2011, 11:53 PM

I think he would rather be phil jackson. :p

SwaggaIke
02-06-2011, 12:46 AM

SwaggaIke
02-06-2011, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't call Spo great by any stretch but he is SEVERELY underrated. What he did last year was nothing short of amazing. 47 wins out of a team full of free agents, over the hill & underdeveloped talents. We were the 2nd best defensive team in the league last year. That tells me we were prepared & the coach in question got maximum effort from his team. Offensive X's & O's are overrated in the NBA, he does an excellent job at the two most important parts of coaching. Preparation & having the pulse of his club.

SB1
02-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Spo is a good coach. I dont think he really gets the credit he deserves. We'll see how he does in the playoffs and beyond before he gets labeled as a great coach.

Raph12
02-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Wouldn't say he's especially good, but he's definitely underrated...

Arch Stanton
02-06-2011, 01:25 AM
LeBron doesn't think he's a good coach. If they go on another losing streak I think he's gonna bite off his head just like Ozzy used to do with bats.

PrettyBoyJ
02-06-2011, 01:37 AM
When you have Lebron and Wade on the same team, and they both can have a triple double on the same night anyone can be considered a good coach.. just hope he picks up a few things for his future coaching job..

LayZbone
02-06-2011, 01:41 AM
He is a good defensive coach.

Offensively he's down there with the worst of them.

Agreed.