PDA

View Full Version : 2 Captains pick their own All-Star team. Would it work?

NothingbutWill
02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Just like how the NHL did it. Let's say Lebron & Kobe gets to pick their own all-star team to play in the all-star game. There would be no east vs west so anyone in the league is up for grabs.

Would this work?
Pros/cons?

yanksbucs
02-03-2011, 11:12 PM
I think this is stupid and a waste of time. Thought it was dumb for the NHL too.

knicks4life33
02-03-2011, 11:13 PM
wouldnt work at all! would pick all there friends

LA_Raiders
02-03-2011, 11:17 PM
That would suck for LeBroom I think he only has 2 friends left in the NBA. Well, he can always bring the family.... D.West

NothingbutWill
02-03-2011, 11:22 PM
wouldnt work at all! would pick all there friends

well not if the other captain picks them first.

BkOriginalOne
02-03-2011, 11:36 PM
No, because Lebron and Kobe would end playing 1 on 1.

Mudvayne91
02-03-2011, 11:41 PM
I'd be for it. The all-star game is already crap, I don't see how it gets much worse.

Nate David+ Co.
02-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Yeah it might work. It might be more of a real game, seeing as Kobe wants to win every single game he plays. He would pick complimentary players tho...

jakedajewler
02-03-2011, 11:56 PM
next year in the nhl they are thinking about adding trade's, like the draft is friday night and there is a trade deadline by say sat at 5pm any trade's have to be completed

clutchski
02-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Too many big egos in my opinion.

believeinNYK
02-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Don't really see that working out, could result in VERY deserving players getting snubbed and players could get picked for the captains benefit

John Walls Era
02-04-2011, 02:21 AM
No it won't work, especially since everyone hates the Heat.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-04-2011, 02:22 AM
i agree that a big con would be them picking all there friends.
but
i think it would be a new twist since everyone gets so dam but hurt bout the starters geting picked bcuz of popularity and the bench getting picked by coachs and some guys getting snubbed.
only thing i would change is this... still keep the east vs. west game cuz u gotta have that haha and have east captain pick only east players and same for west.

even if ppl ended up hatin that...atleast it would be somthing new, and a way to refresh it and then if ppl hate it.. i guess they would go back to old school ****.

Trace
02-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Imagine you get picked last...that would suck regardless if it was for show or not.

Sadds The Gr8
02-04-2011, 02:27 AM
it wouldnt work...people would complain if one of the captains took a teammate over a more worthy player on another team. (example: Say Amare was a captain and he chose Felton over Joe Johnson. People would complain that Amar'e took his teammate when there's someone else who deserved the spot more.)

knicks=love
02-04-2011, 02:28 AM
That would suck for LeBroom I think he only has 2 friends left in the NBA. Well, he can always bring the family.... D.West

:clap: standing ovation

Geargo Wallace
02-04-2011, 02:44 AM
it would work. Everyone hates LeBron and Kobe anyways. Plus its kinda like the decision. Erryone will be watching!

JeffG20
02-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Im up for Anything that prevents yao getting voted in another allstar game

Tdotraptors
02-04-2011, 06:00 AM
i really like this idea. but they should pick coaches and they pick their teams

J-Relo
02-04-2011, 06:51 AM
how the captains are decided?

also it's a game for FANS, let them pick the players as it is...

Raidaz4Life
02-04-2011, 06:55 AM
I would have no problem giving it a test run....

Corey
02-04-2011, 08:12 AM
I think it could work.

These guys are all professionals, they wouldn't just pick their best friend with the first pick. I think it would be interesting.

I say fans vote for two captains. Coaches pick the remaining all star pool. Captains pick from the all-stars the coaches determine. When you get down to the final 4 players, split them in half and assign them to one team or the other so there's no last pick embarrassment.

I like it.

matthollabak
02-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Why not pick the captains by the top vote getters in each conference and let them pick from the top 14 other vote getters in each conference? Let Stern pick fill ins for people who don't qualify because of games/injury.

alencp3
02-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Blake Griffin is in the all star, so hell no it wont be crap this time

Raiderwood
02-04-2011, 08:49 AM
I thought the NHL did a nice job with it, having a Captain and two alternate Captains pick the team. It seemed to work well with the last person picked getting a car and 25,000 to donate to his favorite charity..

fire2last
02-04-2011, 08:54 AM
NHL predetermined the guys the captains could choose from...it wasn't a "pick anyone from the league" type thing. I like the idea. I would watch the picking...not the game but the picking.

NothingbutWill
02-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Yeah but the fan sucks for voting Yao in and people who hasn't even played much of the season. The fan voting is nothing but a popularity contest and it totally screws over much less popular players that are more deserving.

madiaz3
02-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah the only issue I have is how do you choose the best two candidates for captains?

mttwlsn16
02-04-2011, 03:14 PM
wont work for baseball until the get rid of the stupid home field advantage thing

aaaaaahahahahaha :clap:

mttwlsn16
02-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Blake Griffin is in the all star, so hell no it wont be crap this time

^ this

thekmp211
02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah the only issue I have is how do you choose the best two candidates for captains?

veterans? rocks paper scissors? its not like any of them really give a **** anyway.

i thought it was a great idea for the NHL and i would like to see it in the NBA. we all complain about how stale the whole weekend is, and this would make it a lot more interesting. you could count on different combinations of guys each time.

i say its a good idea.

PhillyFaninLA
02-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I'd like to see it, and I'd decide afterwords if I really liked it or not. I'm more of a fan of the skills competition then the game and this would definitely get my attention and get me more curious about the actually game.

PhillyFaninLA
02-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Take the MVP and canditates from the previous year. The player from the west and east that made the allstar game and where the highest on the MVP voting in the previous season would get the nod. Seems like a fair way to me.

PhillyFaninLA
02-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Just thought of another idea for captains. How about its not players its fans. Here is how it works.

- Each team in the league will have a random ticket winner (over 18) that was a home game in December. You know like how they give away prize packs and things like that.
- If you win your name goes into a pool of names (one pool for the West and one for East)
- On January 31 the pool is drawn (again 1 person from each team is mentioned)
- The winner from the East is a captain and the winner of the West is a captain and they do the draft. It can take place during the night of the skills competition.
- The person that picks first is decided by where the game is and what conference the home team of that arena is in.

ugottabjoshinme
02-04-2011, 04:24 PM
It worked great for the NHL game, so I think it could work.

I would have the top 2 vote getters from van voting be the captains, have the coaches pick the rest of the players, and let the captains draft from there. You have the requirement that you need so many guards, so many forwards, and a couple centers.

J-Relo
02-04-2011, 05:32 PM
I believe it wouldn't work. Pick-up game type wouldn't work.

Currently fans decide the starters. In case of Yao - he's gonna be replaced and that's it.
Coaches mainly vote for the guys who also got many votes. That means fans chose the players.

dtmagnet
02-04-2011, 05:36 PM
It was stupid when the NHL did it and it would be stupid if the NBA did it.

J-Relo
02-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Fans have to maintain the main part in it to have it successful (for the league).

Raps08-09 Champ
02-04-2011, 05:50 PM
I think it would be cooler if they had random teams.

I'd would be cool if we saw lineups of

C-Amare
F-Griffin
F-James
G-Rose
G-Paul

vs

C-Howard
F-Durant
F-Carmelo
G-Kobe
G-Wade

1 team is perfect since Paul can alley oop to anyone on the team. And the other team is a shooting team with a C that gets doubled a lot leaving the shooters wide open.

bsamet
02-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Wait I thought the NBA did that this past offseason with Lebron picking out the roster for the Heat.

Ebbs
02-04-2011, 05:55 PM
I liek the idea.

NYK|NYY
02-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Fans vote in the starters, whichever 2 players lead the voting get to be captains. Coaches select the bench. Then the two guys draft.

Perl567
02-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I think it's a GREAT idea- for the NBA, for the players, and for the fans. You're telling me that this:

NHL All-Star game's ratings up 33 percent
Tuesday, 02.01.2011 / 1:21 PM / News
Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - The NHL All-Star game's television ratings are up one-third from the last game two years ago.

The game Sunday on Versus drew a 1.2 rating, a 33 percent increase from 2009. The league didn't hold an All-Star game last year because of the Olympics.

Ratings represent the percentage of homes with televisions tuned into a program.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=551290

Is a stupid idea? 33% share increase is millions of dollars in everyone's pockets. Plus it will bring out some competition for a game that is utterly pointless.

I say let's do it- let the fans pick the captains, the coaches in the entire league pick the pool of players, and then give them an added benefit (say a new car like the Pro Bowl).

It would be awesome. Oh yea and change how the dunk contest is scored- every dunk can't be a friggin 10.

Ironman5219
02-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Dumb idea, the deserving stars would never get picked.

thawv
02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Just like how the NHL did it. Let's say Lebron & Kobe gets to pick their own all-star team to play in the all-star game. There would be no east vs west so anyone in the league is up for grabs.

Would this work?
Pros/cons?
Why would it not work? It's a fun exhibition game for all sports. Oh sorry, Selig turned an fan voted exhibition game, into the game that decides game 7 in the world series. I still can't believe how moronic that it.

LTS
02-04-2011, 06:11 PM
I'd be for it. The all-star game is already crap, I don't see how it gets much worse.

This I do think I would want it still to be east vs west only though

Atticus Finch
02-04-2011, 06:21 PM
I back it 100%.

Fans vote for their favorite top 10 players in the league. Top 2 vote getters are captains, the other 8 are guaranteed a spot in the game. The head coaches are decided the same way they are now, and they pick the final 14 spots. Maybe even add in a twist like the winner of the dunk competition and the 3-point shootout get an automatic entry into the ASG. It might be unfair for the players who got snubbed, but in the case of this year specifically it would be awesome to watch Love try to win the 3-point shootout and watch Josh Smith try to with the dunk competition to get into the game. Plus I feel like doing that would add some excitement and some real competition to the dunk contest and shootout. God knows they need it

PurpleJesus28
02-04-2011, 06:43 PM
i think it could work, barring some stipulations. i think the all the all-stars should be voted in and then from east/west a captain is picked, but they dont have to pick only players from their side. it would help with the snubbing because the captains wouldnt be picking who the all-stars are, they would just be picking from the group of all-stars to be on their team. it would be interesting, i don't think trying it for a year would hurt.

MiamiWadeCounty
02-04-2011, 06:46 PM
How bout this: The captain of one team is from the West and the other from the East. The 'catch' though would be the West captain could only pick east players and vice versa. This would eliminate players from picking their teammates, however it wouldn't be a true east v. west matchup.

h2r09
02-04-2011, 06:53 PM
do people honestly think it would work like the captains picking anybody in the nba? thats not how it would work. there would be a set player group that would be picked and then the players would pick from there

HoopsDrive
02-04-2011, 07:07 PM
I actually watched the NHL ASG this year because of the picking teams idea. It's a great idea imo.

The 2 leading vote-getters OVERALL get to be captains. This year for example would be Kobe and Howard.

The fans still get to vote their players in, with the 3 guards, 3 forwards and 2 centers regardless of conference making the pool of players automatically.

The coaches vote for the rest (14 players in total, regardless of conference.)

Randomize first pick and let the fun begin. You could also let the coaches decide the team and other minor modifications. It could definitely work and I would definitely watch the picking.

Giants27
02-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Have them pick from a certain bunch (All-Star worthy)