PDA

View Full Version : How does Tim Duncan make the All-Star team?

NYSpirit1
02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Coaches really need to stop with the 'winning team' stuff. For the most part its good but how do you justify picking Ray Allen (17 ppg on 37-11 team) over Carlos Boozer (20 and 10 on a 34-14 team). And Kevin Garnett? 15 and 9 on a 37-11 team?

So apparently being 37-11 and getting 15 and 9 beats a 34-14 team when a guy is getting 20-10. Four Celtics didn't need to make the team.

And Tim Duncan? Wow.

Apparently getting 13 and 9 means you're an All-Star now. Kevin Love averaged 8 more points and 6 more rebounds, but still couldn't make it. If anything, Tony Parker should have made it over Duncan.

The coaches did a pretty good job, but Garnett, Allen and Duncan is just pathetic over who was snubbed.

AlvaROD
02-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Coaches really need to stop with the 'winning team' stuff. For the most part its good but how do you justify picking Ray Allen (17 ppg on 37-11 team) over Carlos Boozer (20 and 10 on a 34-14 team). And Kevin Garnett? 15 and 9 on a 37-11 team?

So apparently being 37-11 and getting 15 and 9 beats a 34-14 team when a guy is getting 20-10. Four Celtics didn't need to make the team.

And Tim Duncan? Wow.

Apparently getting 13 and 9 means you're an All-Star now. Kevin Love averaged 8 more points and 6 more rebounds, but still couldn't make it. If anything, Tony Parker should have made it over Duncan.

The coaches did a pretty good job, but Garnett, Allen and Duncan is just pathetic over who was snubbed.

2 names, Gregg Popovich, and Doc Rivers...

cargobox
02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
The Hawks players are scrubs too, I don't like Al Whoreford.

unwantedplayer

And Tim Duncan? Wow.

Exactly how is Boozer more deserving than KG and Ray? KG's defense is far superior to Boozer's. Ray is shooting 50.8% and .458 from three. How is that not all-star worthy?

bklynny67
agreed.. absolutely rediculous. the East is pretty bad but they could have found someone else to replace KG. Allen i dont have a problem with making it. but again, as bad as the East is, they did alright there.

but Duncan making it is such a joke. Love, Aldridge, Parker, Nash, Monta... the list goes on. ALL should have made it over Duncan. even Zach Randolph over Duncan. its crazy! 13 pts a game he averages. its supposed to be the players having the best season. not the players who have been great the last 10 years.

dont think Griffen should have made it either, only because of the guys who were left off. if Love made it too, then i'd be ok with Griffen.

210Don
02-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Lmao @ coaches need to stop with the winning team stuff!!! classic

llemon
02-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Calm down. All this All-Star crap means nothing.

bklynny67
02-03-2011, 10:44 PM

its true dude.... Duncan should not be an allstar just because the Spurs have the best record. there are several more deserving guys who were left off and if u werent blinded by being a Spurs Homer, you'd see that too. everyone else does.

bklynny67
02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
all i know if look at the allstar rosters from the East and West back in the 90's. those teams had so many dominate players on them. the allstar teams of our current era completely suck compared to those teams. the NBA has really taken a hit... i miss the 90's basketball in so many ways.

210Don
02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
its true dude.... Duncan should not be an allstar just because the Spurs have the best record. there are several more deserving guys who were left off and if u werent blinded by being a Spurs Homer, you'd see that too. everyone else does.

w/e like dude says no one will care after the game

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-03-2011, 10:47 PM
i like that timmy D is on the team but hate that love did not make it..so i agree with you there...BUT...as good as boozer is doing i would put felton in there instead of boozer.
yes boozer has better numbers then ray ray and KG but thats because its easy for him to do so on the bulls team.

IMO if u put boozer on the celtics he wouldent be getting 20/10..so yea.. but thats just me.

eXpLiiCt
02-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Because he's Tim Duncan

/thread

cambovenzi
02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Skills, defense, seniority, HOF lock, team success, popularity.
Take your pick.

Because he's Tim Duncan

/thread

bklynny67
02-03-2011, 10:50 PM

point is these other players WAY outperformed Duncan and deserve to represent their team, their city, and their fans in the allstar game. they dont pick the players having the best season anymore like they used to.

Bruno
02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Reputation, and his teams off the chart regular season record. Love got snubbed, but it would be absurd for the Spurs to only get to send one player.

bklynny67
02-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Skills, defense, seniority, HOF lock, popularity.
Take your pick.

senority and HOF lock and popularity DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN ALLSTAR.

just cuz u were great for the last 10 years, once u decline and other players have a MUCH better first half than you, you're not longer an allstar.

its so stupid that Duncan made it over any of the guys i mentioned earlier.

Tony_Starks
02-03-2011, 10:53 PM
With the not only the best record in the league but basically dominating the whole first half of the season I can't be mad at them for having 2 allstars.

But they do take the winning record thing to extremes, Boston sending 4 guys is a bit much. Im shocked they didn't just take Shaq for the hell of it and give them a starting 5.

bklynny67
02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Reputation, and his teams off the chart regular season record. Love got snubbed, but it would be absurd for the Spurs to only get to send one player.

Manu and Parker would have been better... but its not obsurd if only one player deserved it, which happens to be the case.

RZZZA
02-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I definitely agree there shouldn't be 4 celtics in this game...

and I agree about tim duncan

210Don
02-03-2011, 11:00 PM
point is these other players WAY outperformed Duncan and deserve to represent their team, their city, and their fans in the allstar game. they dont pick the players having the best season anymore like they used to.
im sure if those guys end up being legends in basketball thell get their respect towards the end of their careers

Enemey
02-03-2011, 11:05 PM
How is 13 and 9 an all-star Numbers in the west as a PF?

knicks4life33
02-03-2011, 11:07 PM
the way tim duncan makes the allstar team is all the coaches decide to vote to put him in thats how =)

Lim
02-03-2011, 11:07 PM
u guys act like hes awful or something. yes there are other ppl more deserving but dont u know by now that it is a popularity contest? allen iverson was an allstar last year for crying out loud.. now THAT is ridiculous because allen sucked dick last year, timmy on the other hand is still solid 14 and 10 with 3 assits and 2 blocks per game while shooting 50% and only playing 29 minutes.

masTOR_shake1
02-03-2011, 11:08 PM
I'd want duncun on my team over love..... :shrug:

yanksbucs
02-03-2011, 11:10 PM
This game means nothing, did you so quickly forget the pro bowl?

LA_Raiders
02-03-2011, 11:12 PM

agree, thats BS...

LA_Raiders
02-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Skills, defense, seniority, HOF lock, team success, popularity.
Take your pick.

So where is Shaq? I guess they dont need two clowns, they already have LeBroom

Hellcrooner
02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Respect.
I wonder if you would critizise Kareems all stars in mid 80s

Bruno
02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Manu and Parker would have been better... but its not obsurd if only one player deserved it, which happens to be the case.

Debatable. Duncan leads in PER, Parker in win-shares.

Love missing the team isn't fair, but when a team is on pace to win over 65 games, they have to have at least two all-stars, the coaches recognize that.

IMO Love should have gotten it over Blake, and he would have gotten it if his team played in LA. Blake is a rookie, his team has the 3rd worst record in the West, and he's already going to be featured in the dunk contest and the rookie/sophomore game. He got selected over Love because he's flashier and because the game is in LA. I question the Blake Griffin selection, not Duncans.

I think we all agree Love got snubbed.

Hellcrooner
02-03-2011, 11:17 PM
what its absolutley absurd tough is awarding it to people that have only played half a season in this league.

Public Enemy #1
02-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Kind of upsetting but who you can't do anything about it. Duncan didn't deserve it but he got in based on what he has done over his career. Love will have his chance eventually.

cambovenzi
02-03-2011, 11:20 PM
senority and HOF lock and popularity DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN ALLSTAR.

just cuz u were great for the last 10 years, once u decline and other players have a MUCH better first half than you, you're not longer an allstar.

its so stupid that Duncan made it over any of the guys i mentioned earlier.

Evidently it did.
I win.

bklynny67
02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Evidently it did.
I win.

i agree that you're just as uneducated as these bums that made the selections.

steviefranchise
02-03-2011, 11:40 PM
bklynny67 you need to calm yourself down. I think you’re probably from a city where your team sucks and has a losing record. And for Tim Duncan, I totally agree with that decision he deserved it. The Spurs are the best team in the league and you’re saying that having two people from that team is too much. Yeah he is averaging career lows, but it doesn’t mean that he has no significant impact on the spurs. You’re saying that if you take Duncan off the Spurs Manu and Parker would still have the Spurs at 40-8? Tim Duncan may not statistically show that he is an all star this year, but his presence on the court definitely says otherwise. He still commands a “double team” from other teams and he is the catalyst that makes them go. I don’t remember people like you throwing a hissy fit when 4 Pistons made it in 2006. Rashed Wallace, Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups and Ben Wallace were representing their team. Rasheed Wallace was averaging 15.1ppg and 6.8rpg and Ben Wallace was averaging 7.3ppg and 11.3rpg that year. And I don’t know about you but I don’t think those numbers are any better than Duncan’s numbers this year. So let me leave you with a piece of advice “get over it”.

bklynny67
02-03-2011, 11:51 PM
bklynny67 you need to calm yourself down. I think you’re probably from a city where your team sucks and has a losing record. And for Tim Duncan, I totally agree with that decision he deserved it. The Spurs are the best team in the league and you’re saying that having two people from that team is too much. Yeah he is averaging career lows, but it doesn’t mean that he has no significant impact on the spurs. You’re saying that if you take Duncan off the Spurs Manu and Parker would still have the Spurs at 40-8? Tim Duncan may not statistically show that he is an all star this year, but his presence on the court definitely says otherwise. He still commands a “double team” from other teams and he is the catalyst that makes them go. I don’t remember people like you throwing a hissy fit when 4 Pistons made it in 2006. Rashed Wallace, Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups and Ben Wallace were representing their team. Rasheed Wallace was averaging 15.1ppg and 6.8rpg and Ben Wallace was averaging 7.3ppg and 11.3rpg that year. And I don’t know about you but I don’t think those numbers are any better than Duncan’s numbers this year. So let me leave you with a piece of advice “get over it”.

Knicks have a winning record *******. and averaging 13 and 9 as a PF in the West and AT LEAST 2 other players (Love and Aldridge) are having much better seasons, means Duncan should have been left off.

they all deserved it. there weren't clear cut better choices like there is this yr with Duncan. And Ben was chosen as the backup center and was the defensive player of the yr multiple times. there were no other centers that were the clear choice over him. i was never complained about 4 celtics making it so i dont know where your comment about 4 Pistons came from. that just means u like pointing out irrelevant things. all i said about that was MAYBE KG shouldn't have made it but cuz the East is so bad, i have no problem with that.

Again, just like any other sport, allstars are supposed to be the players having the best season. just cuz a player is a future HOF and has been great for many yrs, doesnt mean he still is one of the top players, cuz Duncan isn't.

NBA-GMaster
02-03-2011, 11:53 PM
You also forgot Pierce in those list..

Sixerlover
02-03-2011, 11:56 PM

Translation: I agree with you guys but my Spurs bias and fandom won't allow me to publicly admit it.

Enemey
02-04-2011, 12:08 AM
So in order to make the all-star list you must have a great team which means you must have all-star teammates..... Look at the all-star Rosters almost everyone has a teammate with them.

hyb152
02-04-2011, 12:10 AM
He made it because he deserves it. His numbers may not be what they once were, but he's still incredibly consistent, he's the defensive enforcer on the 1st place west team, and he still puts up near a double double every night. He's the focal point and leader of the spurs and even though he's not that 22 and 12 superstar he once was, his very productive season speak for itself. I'm not a spurs fan either. I'm unbiased.

steviefranchise
02-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Well the Knicks having a winning record is a miracle, but I believe that won’t last for too long. But for me mentioning the Pistons was simply because Ben and Rasheed Wallaces stats were not any better than what Duncan is averaging this year. I am basically stating a lot of players that made it this year aren’t having the best statistical year of their careers, but yeah they made it. It also isn’t Duncans fault that he made it. What I cant understand is that Duncan is the reason why the Spurs are as good as they are, and for that reason only yeah he is an all star.
Side note the league has been always picking their reserves the way they did this year, they have always rewarded teams for winning. If anything I think Parker also deserved it, but I would rather take Duncan over Parker any day of the week. And by the way if you’re saying that the coaches messed up, it isn’t the first year.

bklynny67
02-04-2011, 12:17 AM
He made it because he deserves it. His numbers may not be what they once were, but he's still incredibly consistent, he's the defensive enforcer on the 1st place west team, and he still puts up near a double double every night. He's the focal point and leader of the spurs and even though he's not that 22 and 12 superstar he once was, his very productive season speak for itself. I'm not a spurs fan either. I'm unbiased.

LOL at this reasoning. Duncan only has 17 double double this year.

Love has 47 including his current streak which is at 34 straight double doubles. nice try though.

steviefranchise
02-04-2011, 12:23 AM
LOL at this reasoning. Duncan only has 17 double double this year.

Love has 47 including his current streak which is at 34 straight double doubles. nice try though.

Well where is his 34th straight double double streak taking him? Last place in the western conference and second worst record in the league, only ahead of the cavs.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-04-2011, 12:25 AM

I'm pretty sure that you can't vote for your own players.

So no fault to Gregg and Doc.

I know they are the coachees but it isn't on them that their players got voted in.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-04-2011, 12:28 AM
BTW, Duncan is playing under 30 mins.

He'd be getting like 17 PPG, 12 RPG and 2.5 BPG with 36 mins. He's the defensive anchor on the best team. If he wasn't there, the Spurs wouldn't even be in the top 6 seed for the West IMO.

bklynny67
02-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Well where is his 34th straight double double streak taking him? Last place in the western conference and second worst record in the league, only ahead of the cavs.

cuz he doesn't have Parker, Manu, and the rest of the great supporting cast the Spurs have. MIN only has Beasley as there only other actual threat.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Another thing, Love will get in anyways. They still need to pick someone for Yao.

Love is the likely suspect.

Sixerlover

When you talk record you bring the teammates of the player(s) into question, opening up another can or worms. Love can't help that he's playing alongside Darko, Beasley and Luke Ridnour while Duncan has Parker, Ginobili and Blair for example.

When it comes to all star records shouldn't play a role. Save that for MVP and COY type votes. The All Star game is about a players production. There is 0 logical argument to be made for why Duncan is in the all star game and not Love other than veteran respect.

magichatnumber9
I have no problem with Timmy getting an allstar pick. He is crucial in his teams success.

steviefranchise
02-04-2011, 12:37 AM
duncan makes players around him better and he is part of the reason why manu and parker are the players they are today. by the way if gary neal was on the wolves you think he would be relevant in this league? i think not because the presence of duncan on the floor allows other role players to shine.

_Supreme_
02-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Tim Duncan is the franchise player for the team which currently has the best record in the league.

Of course he makes the All-Star team. It's a rather silly question.

bklynny67
02-04-2011, 12:40 AM
I have no problem with Timmy getting an allstar pick. He is crucial in his teams success.

crucial to teams success doesnt mean he's having a better season. there's close to 10 other guys that didnt make it that have had much better seasons and should be there.... Love, Aldridge, Nash, Monta, Randolph, even Parker from his own team, just to name a few.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2011, 12:43 AM
name got those three in. That is just the way it goes. Love being snubbed is ********, and numbers like that have never been kept out of the all star game, but it just goes to show how little we should rate all star selections.
I could honestly care less. There is a reason I haven't watched all star weekend in 4-5 years.

Giraffes Rule
02-04-2011, 12:43 AM

Yeah, those NBA head coaches don't know anything about basketball. :rolleyes:

I think Love or Aldridge should have made it in first, then Duncan as the injury replacement. To say Duncan doesn't deserve to make the all star team is too far though. He's the best defensive player on the best team in the league. The Celtics have 4 players on the all star team, the Spurs can't have 2?

JordansBulls
02-04-2011, 12:44 AM

No, but the Hawks don't deserve 2.

koLohe2133
02-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Ya the coaches know nothing about basketball.

Crackadalic
02-04-2011, 12:59 AM
So if Love put up 30 and 30 on a losing team and Duncan put up 10 and 7 on a team with the best record the coaches would still pick Duncan?:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::fa cepalm:

Think about that for a min

All i know is Love got snub and Duncan shouldn't be in their with those numbers

Raps18-19 Champ
02-04-2011, 01:02 AM
I might be really biased but I think Bargnani deserves it more than Horford.

murphturph
02-04-2011, 01:24 AM
its called reputation and boozer has been injured for alot of he season.

RZZZA
02-04-2011, 01:25 AM
who even cares about boozer? he's a great player but I don't want him in there, he's fragile, and he means too much to our team.

rest up boozer

Enemey
02-04-2011, 01:32 AM
Joe Johnson has sucked all year and has been injured but made the all-star because of his team success. Wow

ElMarroAfamado
02-04-2011, 02:38 AM

I like that you sigged me. Last year I talked the same **** about the Spurs and they got swept in the playoffs. You will appreciate me when they lose a series in 5 games in the playoffs....

Sadds The Gr8
02-04-2011, 02:40 AM
what do people not get about Boozer missing like 20 games? when u miss that much games you shouldn't be in the game....period

JayW_1023
02-04-2011, 06:59 AM
I agree LaMarcus and K-Love deserves it way more...I don't understand.

I'm glad Manu made it in though.

TheDiggler
02-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Tim Duncan is a high quality player, I've huge respect for, but ... Love really, really deserves it. He plays outstanding on a whacky team and improved himself more than any other. Nothing against Timmy-D ... I'm just for supporting and rewarding K-Love's game.

PHX2daDEATH
02-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Who cares..I'm glad the Celts and Spurs wont be able to rest their legs during the break anyways, While Nash will be able to.. It doesnt make sense though..you think Pop is going to play Timmy a lot of minutes? You think Doc is going to run his players out there for a long period of time? NO they wont.. I would of liked to see guys like Rudy Gay or Kevin Love out there.. but they will be All-stars some day..just not now..

TornadoOfSouls
02-04-2011, 08:50 AM
I like that you sigged me. Last year I talked the same **** about the Spurs and they got swept in the playoffs. You will appreciate me when they lose a series in 5 games in the playoffs....

SA has homecourt this year. That, in itself, makes them one of the favorites in the West.

allday823
02-04-2011, 09:11 AM
BTW, Duncan is playing under 30 mins.

He'd be getting like 17 PPG, 12 RPG and 2.5 BPG with 36 mins. He's the defensive anchor on the best team. If he wasn't there, the Spurs wouldn't even be in the top 6 seed for the West IMO.

What kind of statement is that? Example If kevin durant plays 48 minutes he'd average 40ppg..but he CAN'T play 48 minutes night in and night out, just like duncan can't play 36. Don't try to be a stat simulator and assume he would average that. 13 and 9 is horrible...how does he make an allstar game while having his worst season of his career. What happens next year? He averages 11 and 6 playing 25 minutes and still makes it bc his team is good? That's not fair to upcomers like love whom is having a fantastic season. Give duncan loves team then come talk to me. Boozer missed half the season ofcourse he's not gonna make it. Blake griffin definetly deserves it he's turned into probably the most exciting player in the game.

blacknell
02-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm tired of seeing yao ming getting in and he hasn't played in like 3 years. They need to ban all Asian people from voting for the nba all star game because all 66 billion of them vote for Kobe and Ming because they don't know anybody else. And why is Dirk not a starter? He is the best PF in the NBA and has his team winning playing by himself and has beat every team in the west..Duncan is on the same level as Shaq now his time has passed and time for him to think about hanging it up

mttwlsn16
02-04-2011, 09:42 AM
SA has homecourt this year. That, in itself, makes them one of the favorites in the West.

no :facepalm:

SteBO
02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
no :facepalm:

Agreed. Lakers are the favorites until they're knocked out. I still think they go to the finals this year regardless of what's happening now.

ttam68
02-04-2011, 11:02 AM
KLove will get picked by Stern so no worries there.

This may be Timmy's last ASG, let's just enjoy it.

Sly Guy
02-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Exactly how is Boozer more deserving than KG and Ray? KG's defense is far superior to Boozer's. Ray is shooting 50.8% and .458 from three. How is that not all-star worthy?

com'on dude, seriously? When has this 'defense' you speak of ever been a criteria for an all star selection?

Mile High Champ
02-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Reputation is a hard thing to shake. Michael Jordan got in the with the wizards just on name value and Shaq did the same thing over the last few years. Some guys just have the respect of league and simply will always make the all-star team. Personally I have no issue with Duncan making it as he is on the best team in the league. The Spurs should have players represented.

hvg
02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Who would you rather have on your team (right now, not long term)? - Tim Duncan, who anchors the defense on the NBA's best team or Kevin Love, who hasn't shown if his gaudy numbers can translate into wins. I'll take Timmy-D, thank you.

In any case, I think there's a 80% change KL makes it as the replacement centre.

jaded01
02-04-2011, 11:32 AM
while this is a valid topic, the better question to ask is how are the 2nd 3rd and 4th best players on the celtics better than all the players on phi, cha, ind, mil, det, nj, was, tor, and cle. yes, the celtics have a fantastic record. garnett is averaging 15 and 8. that puts him at 59 for scoring. he does a little better on rebounding... 8.9 per game has him tied for 14th. however, of the 13 people ahead of him, 8 of them didnt make the all star team (aldridge, jefferson, humphries, chandler, odom, okafur, randolph, and love). no point guard deserves to a spot, even a bench one if he shoots 52% from the free throw line. 13 assists a game is fantastic... but try doing it with a motley crew of backups like nash does and then you earn that kind of respect. the all star game is about individual performance, not team play, fans dont pay to watch the boston celtics, if they wanted to they could buy tickets to celtics games. we have learned to very important facts out of this: 1) the coaches have proven they are as stupid as the fans and 2) the east conference still sucks ***, but instead of having 10 good players on 6 teams, they have 10 good players on 3 teams

Bornknick73
02-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I dont care about his numbers.....

Without Duncan are the Spurs the best team in the League........NO they are the Nuggets, a middle of the pack team fighting for a 5-6th seed at best. Timmy puts them over the top.

/thread

Bornknick73
02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
If you think about it the Bulls were a playoff team last year without Boozer, if you remove Boozer are the Bulls a middle of the pack team? YES maybe worse. But if James wasnt in Cleveland the Bulls win the division.

Would the Wolves be any worse without Love? NO they would still suck.

Now im not blind nor stupid so to say Timmy doesnt deserve that spot is ....what did Tyson say?....Ludicrous.

Take Timmy off that team and they are middle of the pack, no lock to even win their division. No Tim no 41-9....and im not a fan of any of those teams and even i can see that.

(Fixed) I was corrected, Boozer has made a big difference to Chicago this year. I forgot they were the 8th seed last year. I think i was hypnotized by the Bulls fans into thinking they were better last year....my apologies.

jaded01
02-04-2011, 11:52 AM
If you think about it the Bulls were a high seed last year without Boozer, if you remove Boozer are the Bulls a middle of the pack team? NO. If James wasnt in Cleveland the Bulls win the division easily.

Would the Wolves be any worse without Love? NO they would still suck.

Now im not blind nor stupid so to say Timmy doesnt deserve that spot is ....what did Tyson say?....Ludicrous.

Take Timmy off that team and they are middle of the pack, no lock to even win their division. No Tim no 41-9....and im not a fan of any of those teams and even i can see that.

by high seed do you mean 41 and 41 and 8th place?

Bornknick73
02-04-2011, 11:55 AM
by high seed do you mean 41 and 41 and 8th place?

ouch...thats right. Let me pull the foot out of my mouth. But Boozer is East so i guess the comparison of his worthiness to Duncan doesnt really apply, now if you said KG vs Boozer then its a no brainer...Boozer should be going.

So as far as Boozer is concerned yes he definitely deserves that spot.

Thegame187
02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Because they are mental leaders on winning teams - If you are confussed ask your self this:

Its game 7 of the finals you can either have Garnett and Duncan in your squad, or you can use Boozer and Love, who do you want?

- If your answer was Garnett and Duncan the the discussion is over

- If you choose Love and Boozer then I assume you are from a city where winning means nothing and the only way a play is considered good is by getting 20pts and 10rb's a game (i.e. You are from what is called a losser town).

Also note coaches don't vote for there own team, so either all the NBA coaches have no idea about good players and you do, or else NBA coaches knnow a top class player when they see one and your a ******* idiot.

Thegame187
02-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Agreed. Lakers are the favorites until they're knocked out. I still think they go to the finals this year regardless of what's happening now.

come on.....how do you see the lakers as favourites this year (PS: If you are going to use the 'they won it last year' bit, then does that make the Cav's the big team to beat in regular season?). I would say this year looks good as there are a number of teams who could make the finals (Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, Heat, C's, Magic, outsiders would be NO and Bulls, hopefully will be Houston, I heard Yao is faking and will come back after all star break).

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Boozer was more deserving then KG

magichatnumber9
02-04-2011, 12:12 PM
You want that broken *** Boozer on the team. Samuel L Jackson in unbreakable is more durable then Carlos. How many games has he played? Cut this bull ****. Bogut last year yeah, this year no. Those 4 Celtics deserved to play in the all star game. Not every team can be represented, that's not how this all star thing works.

iliketurtles24
02-04-2011, 12:17 PM

your such a homer, every thread

KnicksorBust
02-04-2011, 12:22 PM
When you talk record you bring the teammates of the player(s) into question, opening up another can or worms. Love can't help that he's playing alongside Darko, Beasley and Luke Ridnour while Duncan has Parker, Ginobili and Blair for example.

When it comes to all star records shouldn't play a role. Save that for MVP and COY type votes. The All Star game is about a players production. There is 0 logical argument to be made for why Duncan is in the all star game and not Love other than veteran respect.

I disagree for a variety of reasons.
1. First of all, the only thing people look at here are Raw Numbers here. When Duncan is on the floor he's still rebounding at the same rate, assisting at the same rate, and his block, steal, turnover, and foul percentages are the same. These are all right with his career averages. He's giving the same production the Spurs with the exception of scoring where he is using less possessions and slightly less effective. Almost the same player who is a perennial All-Star... just less minutes.
2. Point Differential. If an elite team has a point differential of +6ppg or +7ppg then they are involved in a lot of blowout wins. That's a fact. KG, Ray Allen, Duncan, Bosh, etc. don't get to pad stats like other players. They will go to the bench or differ. There's no telling how many points they are giving up because they don't need to be in attack mode the whole game.
3. Winning. It's tough to figure out an appropriate comparison but you can't tell me that if two players had identical raw statistics you wouldn't give the edge to player whose team was better. There are intangibles beyond statistics and I'm okay with giving respect to players who create a winning environment with leadership and defense. You think for a second if we take Duncan off the Spurs they'd still have 40 wins? Yet if we took Kevin Love off the T-Wolves they could definately still have 11 wins.

:clap:

Atticus Finch
02-04-2011, 12:23 PM
My biggest problem is that major statistical leaders were left off the roster. Love is averaging over 2 rebounds more than 2nd place and is currently on pace to average 20 and 15 for the year (unreal) and leads the league in double doubles. Bogut is leading the league in blocks, averages a double double, and has put up some huge individual games this year. I think it sets a bad precedent when the leading shot blocker and rebounder are left off the rosters by the coaches, especially since coaches are always preaching rebounding and defense. The All-Star game is supposed to reward players who are having great seasons, not great careers.

Ragan
02-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Because it's the all-STARs game, not the having-the-best-statistical-seasons game. Tim Duncan is one of the greatest players of all time and is still playing at a pretty high level. People who aren't fans of the NBA have no idea who Kevin Love is. To a lesser extent the same can be applied to KG and Carlos Boozer. Also, Boozer missed a ton of games, too.

Atticus Finch
02-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Because they are mental leaders on winning teams - If you are confussed ask your self this:

Its game 7 of the finals you can either have Garnett and Duncan in your squad, or you can use Boozer and Love, who do you want?

- If you choose Love and Boozer then I assume you are from a city where winning means nothing and the only way a play is considered good is by getting 20pts and 10rb's a game (i.e. You are from what is called a losser town).

Also note coaches don't vote for there own team, so either all the NBA coaches have no idea about good players and you do, or else NBA coaches knnow a top class player when they see one and your a ******* idiot.

Are you really comparing game 7 of the finals to the all star game? It's the freakin all star game, where winning literally means nothing.

BklynKnicks3
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Disgrace

Mile High Champ
02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I can't believe how many people think Duncan is not deserving, I am kind of shocked to a degree but I guess that is what you get when you are all about being technically sound and not being a flashy player.

flclfanman
02-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Yep, b/c the ASG has the same environment/importance as game 7 of a NBA championship :eyebrow: :facepalm:

If KG kept getting elected to the ASG for all those garbage years in Minny so can Love; he's essentially in the same situation, a good player stuck on an awful team.

Last time I checked it was called the Minnesota T-Wolves, not the Minnesota Kevin Loves. We cant blame one guy b/c his team sucks. God knows he's trying :shrug:

ewing
02-04-2011, 12:45 PM

And Tim Duncan? Wow.

Boozer doesn't get in b/c he only played 30 games (55% of Chi total). Love doesn't get in over Duncan b/c Duncan is still better.

Atticus Finch
02-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Because it's the all-STARs game, not the having-the-best-statistical-seasons game. Tim Duncan is one of the greatest players of all time and is still playing at a pretty high level. People who aren't fans of the NBA have no idea who Kevin Love is. To a lesser extent the same can be applied to KG and Carlos Boozer. Also, Boozer missed a ton of games, too.

Shouldn't that be MORE incentive to get Love into the game? The NBA is a league built on marketing individual stars. Love is 22 years old and is putting up numbers the league hasn't seen in years (possibly ever if you factor in his 44% 3pt shooting). Makes sense to me to make his a household name.

What I don't understand is all of the circular reasoning and double standards going on. People point to Love being on a losing team and try to pin it on him saying he's not leading his team, yet all year we've heard about how great Lebron is an how it's all his teammates faults last year when they got knocked out (by the way not a Lebron hater whatsoever, and I'm a laker fan). Then people say the ASG doesn't matter so just let Timmy play, but if it really doesn't matter then why are people getting so defensive when someone argues Duncan shouldn't be in it? Duncan doesn't need more people showing him respect by an ASG selection, he'll get plenty of that when he's a unanimous first ballot HOF.

flclfanman
02-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Boozer doesn't get in b/c he only played 30 games (55% of Chi total). Love doesn't get in over Duncan b/c Duncan is still better.

Not any more. That shipped sailed 3 years ago.

beasted86
02-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Boozer is a really trash defender.

KG at 15/9 is better than Boozer's 20/10... same thing with Bosh and his 18/8.

Boozer's really poor defense is the deciding factor, not necessarily team record. Celtics, Heat, and Bulls all have a good record.... it's Boozer's defense and him being injured.

beasted86
02-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Do you realistically think the Spurs would have a better record with Kevin Love instead of Duncan.

That's all what really matters when people say one player is better than the other. I for one don't think the Spurs would be any better. They might have the same record, but for sure I wouldn't think in a million years they'd actually be "better".

So I don't think Love is better than Duncan.

RZZZA
02-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Boozer is a really trash defender.

KG at 15/9 is better than Boozer's 20/10... same thing with Bosh and his 18/8.

Boozer's really poor defense is the deciding factor, not necessarily team record. Celtics, Heat, and Bulls all have a good record.... it's Boozer's defense and him being injured.

dude...they don't play defense in an all-star game. It's an offensive show for the fans.

beasted86
02-04-2011, 12:58 PM
dude...they don't play defense in an all-star game. It's an offensive show for the fans.

Then seriously take Rondo off the team and put Felton. The 3 more assists per game don't overshadow the 7 more points Felton puts up a game.

:rolleyes:

Coaches vote in the best overall players from the best teams, not the best scorers.

ddhulett
02-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I would have left all the SPURS and CELTIC players off, None of them are putting up allstar type years that's why the Coaches are coaching the EAST and WEST.

GREG POPOVICH AND DOC RIVERS ARE COACHING THE 2011 ALL-STAR GAME BECAUSE THEIR TEAM WINS NOT BY PLAYERS STATS.

flclfanman
02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Do you realistically think the Spurs would have a better record with Kevin Love instead of Duncan.

That's all what really matters when people say one player is better than the other. I for one don't think the Spurs would be any better. They might have the same record, but for sure I wouldn't think in a million years they'd actually be "better".

So I don't think Love is better than Duncan.

They might, I don't know. What I do know is that Love has COMPLETELY outplayed TD this year.

All I know is that if Kevin McHale called the Spurs GM and offered to trade Love for Duncan straight up, the Spurs aren't hanging up.

RZZZA
02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Then seriously take Rondo off the team and put Felton. The 3 more assists per game don't overshadow the 7 more points Felton puts up a game.

Coaches vote in the best overall players from the best teams, not the best scorers.

they do not vote in the best overall players as clearly Boozer, KL and Deng would have made it while Tim Duncan would not have.

flclfanman
02-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Rondo is their for his passing and athletic rebounds.

RZZZA's right, they don't play D in the All Star Game. I woulda loved to have seen Felton their but he was streaky the last 2 weeks of play

JNA17
02-04-2011, 01:08 PM
because his name is short of timmy, which is a reference to the show fairly odd parents.

Double_R
02-04-2011, 01:13 PM
So do you want the best players on the best teams not to be in the ASG. Love has been great, but he does it for a really bad team. Boozer is not KG and I hate KG.

RZZZA
02-04-2011, 01:17 PM
KG has also been an all star 13 times. I think he's been honored enough.

beasted86
02-04-2011, 01:20 PM
they do not vote in the best overall players as clearly Boozer, KL and Deng would have made it while Tim Duncan would not have.

You quoted my post but didn't read it.

1) Duncan is one of the best overall players on one of the best teams
2) KL does not play for one of the best teams.

3) Honestly, in your heart of hearts being as unbiased as you can possibly be... do you really think Luol Deng is a player deserving of an all-star?

....really?

RZZZA
02-04-2011, 01:24 PM
well you concentrated so much on defense, I figured I'd toss Dengs name in there. He can do it on offense, he can do it on defense, he can shoot the 3 now. If individual achievement is what its about, if contributing to a winning team is what its all about, why not Deng? Just because he's not super-famous like these other guys?

jaded01
02-04-2011, 01:59 PM
You quoted my post but didn't read it.

1) Duncan is one of the best overall players on one of the best teams
2) KL does not play for one of the best teams.

3) Honestly, in your heart of hearts being as unbiased as you can possibly be... do you really think Luol Deng is a player deserving of an all-star?

....really?

i believe he's trying to point out that your logic is flawed. you and others defend kg because of his winning team, his defense, and his "intangibles" rather than his stats. luol deng plays on a team with 34 wins, he puts up numbers similar to kg/pierce/allen. he plays strong defense, and shoots well... and no he shouldnt be on the all star team. that also applies for kg and allen, td, probably rondo and joe johnson, and maybe bosh.

Lim
02-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Joe Johnson has sucked all year and has been injured but made the all-star because of his team success. Wow

might want to take another look at joe johnsons stats this year cause he has not sucked all year.

knicksfan42
02-04-2011, 02:29 PM
I disagree for a variety of reasons.
1. First of all, the only thing people look at here are Raw Numbers here. When Duncan is on the floor he's still rebounding at the same rate, assisting at the same rate, and his block, steal, turnover, and foul percentages are the same. These are all right with his career averages. He's giving the same production the Spurs with the exception of scoring where he is using less possessions and slightly less effective. Almost the same player who is a perennial All-Star... just less minutes.
2. Point Differential. If an elite team has a point differential of +6ppg or +7ppg then they are involved in a lot of blowout wins. That's a fact. KG, Ray Allen, Duncan, Bosh, etc. don't get to pad stats like other players. They will go to the bench or differ. There's no telling how many points they are giving up because they don't need to be in attack mode the whole game.
3. Winning. It's tough to figure out an appropriate comparison but you can't tell me that if two players had identical raw statistics you wouldn't give the edge to player whose team was better. There are intangibles beyond statistics and I'm okay with giving respect to players who create a winning environment with leadership and defense. You think for a second if we take Duncan off the Spurs they'd still have 40 wins? Yet if we took Kevin Love off the T-Wolves they could definately still have 11 wins.

Spot on.

SteBO
02-04-2011, 02:32 PM
well you concentrated so much on defense, I figured I'd toss Dengs name in there. He can do it on offense, he can do it on defense, he can shoot the 3 now. If individual achievement is what its about, if contributing to a winning team is what its all about, why not Deng? Just because he's not super-famous like these other guys?

I'll give you this. If Atlanta can have two players on the team (Joe Johnson, Al Horford), then there's no excuse for the Bulls to only have one player represent them.

210Don
02-04-2011, 02:37 PM
your such a homer, every thread

lmao because that post has to do with the spurs right? stfu dude
:facepalm:

Mr Haha
02-04-2011, 02:46 PM

Nothing illustrates the pomposity and lack of sophistication of the modern sports fan more than this statement.

Some dude in his boxers on the internet calls Gregg Pop and Doc Rivers uneducated bums... when talking about basketball.

It's really something else. Breathtakingly stupid.

ewing
02-04-2011, 02:54 PM

3 years ago he aveaged 20 15 and 2 blocks in 17 post season games. After that it was 20 and 10 on 53% from the floor in 10 post season games and Duncan value as a quaterback on D, a decesion maker out of the post, and his overall leadership dont come through in the box score. Still feel free to write him off again next year