PDA

View Full Version : Why does Atlanta constantly get overlooked?

Lim
02-03-2011, 06:52 PM
? is it because they have yet to perform in the playoffs?

SteveNash
02-03-2011, 06:53 PM
You think?

GoatMilk
02-03-2011, 06:53 PM
they're not good enough to win it all

abe_froman
02-03-2011, 06:54 PM
yes,yes it is

GodsSon
02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
they're not good enough to win it all

+100

Watching the game against the Raptors yesterday, I'm shocked that they haven't folded as a franchise. The arena was a graveyard.

Hawkeye15
02-03-2011, 06:59 PM
cause they are perpetual knockout material in the playoffs and just never seem to make the right decisions when it matters most. Why would you give JJ that contract? Have fun in above average world for the next 5 years Hawks.

SteBO
02-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Just too inconsistent.

SteBO
02-03-2011, 07:00 PM
cause they are perpetual knockout material in the playoffs and just never seem to make the right decisions when it matters most. Why would you give JJ that contract? Have fun in above average world for the next 5 years Hawks.
+this.

Raph12
02-03-2011, 07:00 PM

That may have something to do with it lol

Tony_Starks
02-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Because like many other mediocre teams they basically shoot jumpers with no legit lowpost threat. Good enough to maybe get them to the second round again, but thats about it.

If I were them I'd roll the dice and try to get Z-Bo in a Hawks jersey. With a legit big that can get his own in a halfcourt set they could be legit.

SteBO
02-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Because like many other mediocre teams they basically shoot jumpers with no legit lowpost threat. Good enough to maybe get them to the second round again, but thats about it.

If I were them I'd roll the dice and try to get Z-Bo in a Hawks jersey. With a legit big that can get his own in a halfcourt set they could be legit.
They also play one on one ball way too much. Their offense is predictable.

Swashcuff
02-03-2011, 07:04 PM

This question is going to haunt them for the next 10+ years.

Hawkeye15
02-03-2011, 07:06 PM
This question is going to haunt them for the next 10+ years.

true. I forgot to factor in what having multiple #20 draft picks also does to you over the years, when you are just good enough to make the playoffs, maybe the 2nd round, and never get a chance to replenish with great talent.

Easily the worst deal of the summer. I could not believe they signed him to a max contract.

Sactown
02-03-2011, 07:08 PM
true. I forgot to factor in what having multiple #20 draft picks also does to you over the years, when you are just good enough to make the playoffs, maybe the 2nd round, and never get a chance to replenish with great talent.

Easily the worst deal of the summer. I could not believe they signed him to a max contract.

Hawks Vs. Kings 2012 NBA Finals..

clydebino
When you struggle to beat the Bucks in the playoffs you gotta problem, and when your pf is playing center, Dwight will chew you like a rag doll.

SteBO

I could. I guess their thinking was, no one's coming here in FA so we might as well retain JJ, even if it means giving him this albatross of a contract.

Bruno
02-03-2011, 07:11 PM

The JJ signing is going to cripple the Hawks. They should have let him walk. He will be making 25 million dollars in 2015-2016. That's what Kobe is making this year at 32, but JJ will be 35.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta.htm

The J.J. signing is an example of why I'm against the owners in regards to the next CBA. They do it to themselves. If they don't want out of control salaries, then don't offer them.

In reality only a small group of players produce the on-court impact deserving of a max contract, and JJ isn't one of them.

Hawkeye15
02-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I could. I guess their thinking was, no one's coming here in FA so we might as well retain JJ, even if it means giving him this albatross of a contract.

then let him walk and sell to your fans that Horford is the next big thing. As a GM, you need to look down the line and project what your financial decisions may cause. Joe Johnson was horrendous in the playoffs, and is entering an age where he will start decline. He isn't a top 15 player in the NBA. Just by shear common sense, you don't give these type of players max deals. Its not like JJ, the uber quiet, jump shooting SG, is a marketing explosion. That contract makes absolutely no sense, and their GM got caught up in the moment and didn't want to lose him. Terrible decision.

Hawkeye15
02-03-2011, 07:12 PM
The JJ signing is going to cripple the Hawks. They should have let him walk. He will be making 25 million dollars in 2015-2016. That's what Kobe is making this year at 32, but JJ will be 35.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta.htm

The J.J. signing is an example of why I'm against the owners in regards to the next CBA. They do it to themselves. If they don't want out of control salaries, then don't offer them.

In reality, only a small group of players deserve a max contract, and JJ isn't one of them.

exactly right. The owners, at this point, need to be protected from themselves. Its gotten that out of hand.

Sactown
02-03-2011, 07:13 PM
then let him walk and sell to your fans that Horford is the next big thing. As a GM, you need to look down the line and project what your financial decisions may cause. Joe Johnson was horrendous in the playoffs, and is entering an age where he will start decline. He isn't a top 15 player in the NBA. Just by shear common sense, you don't give these type of players max deals. Its not like JJ, the uber quiet, jump shooting SG, is a marketing explosion. That contract makes absolutely no sense, and their GM got caught up in the moment and didn't want to lose him. Terrible decision.

Kings Vs. Hawks 2012 NBA finals

abe_froman
02-03-2011, 07:15 PM

i dont know if they'll even make 2nd round from now on.the past few years they had the advantage of being a high seed and so 1st round match ups were against lower seeds.now they are in the mid seed grouping so they're facing those higher seeds like the magic in the first round

GodsSon
02-03-2011, 07:16 PM
They're going to be a classic example of a team stuck in the mud in a few years; not good enough to go anywhere, and not bad enough to cash in on draft picks. Sucks for them that it'll end up costing them J Smoove as well.

SteBO
02-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Oh I agree with what you're saying. It was a terrible financial move, especially after he stunk it up in the playoffs for two straight years. I just feel the same way you probably do in that they were desperate to get a player, so they settled with Joe since he was on the verge of going to NY or Chicago from what I read.

eXpLiiCt
02-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Do good in the regualr season,

bad in post season

Gootie42
02-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Hawks Vs. Kings 2012 NBA Finals..

lol

Tony_Starks
02-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I also think not developing Teague into the starting PG yet is a problem. Bibby's not exactly a floor general at this point, everything he's doing he could do as a backup.

Teague has shown flashes that he could be legit. The kid they got in the draft this year is pretty nice too, really athletic, don't think he really gets minutes either.

When you're a middle of the pack team thats not really in the trade market sometimes developing your young talent can still take you to another level.

The Spurs are the best at doing it......

KingPosey
02-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Over looked for what? They are the 4th to 6th best team in the East. Should they get more credit than that?

Hawkeye15
02-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Kings Vs. Hawks 2012 NBA finals

the Wolves will beat the Kings in the WCF's dude.

llemon
02-03-2011, 08:04 PM

That would be my guess.

bmd1101
02-03-2011, 08:22 PM

I guess you could hope to dodge Orlando, Boston, and Miami in the first round and hope they all get knocked out first round. That's the only way Atlanta's got a shot goin deeper in the playoffs. Have you ever been struck by lightning twice?

JordansBulls
02-03-2011, 08:48 PM

They have gone 7 games in the 1st round the last 3 years, and 2 of those years they were heavily favorite and then in the next round, it is almost like they didn't even put up a fight.

blastmasta26
02-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Lack of playoff success and signing JJ to a ridiculous contract when he can't take you anywhere as the #1 option.

marlinsfan24
02-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Ask the empty seats at Phillips Arena that.

llemon
02-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Dallas really doesn't deserve much more respect, but their blowhard owner always says something idiotically offending about some NBA entity that they Mavs are always getting press.

LA_Raiders
02-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Cause its always the same. A Top 4 team in the Easy, and they shoke in the POffs...

Lim
02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
maybe they just needed playoff exp? i mean looking at their team on paper u kinda scratch your head as to why they suck so bad in the playoffs. joe johnson is a borderline superstar, they have 2 nice defensive bigs in horford and josh smith, 6th man of the year off the bench, bibby pg who is in the twilight of his career but is still solid, and marvin williams is a solid sf too. I just think they didnt have the experience to excel in the playoffs and maybe a lil bit of bad luck too. unfortinately for them though, the east has obviously gotten a lot harder so they will most likely be stuck in this limbo for years to come.

Rego247
02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
hawks get it done during the regular season. playoffs, not so much.

BkOriginalOne
02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
1. Because Joe Johnson is their best player
2. Because they play in Atlanta
3. Because no one will remember them by the eastern conference finals

stlbest5in2013
02-03-2011, 11:25 PM
i love threads like this

it fans that think the slightest success makes them a real contender.

it like miami fans saying the U is back off of a recruiting class. recruiting ranking dont mean ****. just like what you do in the regular season doesnt mean ****.

Sixerlover
02-03-2011, 11:48 PM

:up:

blastmasta26
02-04-2011, 12:22 AM
maybe they just needed playoff exp? i mean looking at their team on paper u kinda scratch your head as to why they suck so bad in the playoffs. joe johnson is a borderline superstar, they have 2 nice defensive bigs in horford and josh smith, 6th man of the year off the bench, bibby pg who is in the twilight of his career but is still solid, and marvin williams is a solid sf too. I just think they didnt have the experience to excel in the playoffs and maybe a lil bit of bad luck too. unfortinately for them though, the east has obviously gotten a lot harder so they will most likely be stuck in this limbo for years to come.
It was not due to a lack of experience. They haven't won a significant playoff series yet, all their first rounds seem to go to 7 games even when they shouldn't (vs. Bucks last year when Bogut was injured). And then they get destroyed in the second round when the play legitimate teams. JJ is not really a borderline superstar, he's best suited in a #2 role. He was horrible in the playoffs anyway. Horford and Smith are good big men, but they're still undersized down low and Bibby has declined.

Kakaroach
02-04-2011, 12:39 AM
They are not contenders at all. Get a real starting center and an upgrade at PG (dream move for them would be Steve Nash) and then everyone will talk about them. As for now, they are another east team that will get knocked out in the first round.

GST4TE
02-04-2011, 01:47 AM
It's like what Charles Barkley said

They always been the same thing every year, and signing JJ to that huge contract basically just trapped them