PDA

View Full Version : NYpost: Mavericks willing to 'rent' Carmelo Anthony

JordansBulls
02-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Link (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/mavs_willing_to_rent_melo_1N3goF6nE9QNMOsf5Oop8H)

"Yeah, in a heartbeat. Because then it's up to me to try to convince them to stay," Cuban said. "If everybody wants to give off a great player, we're always going to try to be opportunistic. But those calls typically aren't made. Those happen once every five years or so."

Anthony has been linked to the Knicks, Nets and Bulls, but the Mavericks and Rockets would be interested in trading for Anthony without an extension.

"I can't talk about other teams' players, but I'm always trying to be opportunistic," Cuban said. "If someone wanted to offer me a perennial All-Star for a second-round pick, I'm going to say yes.

210Don
02-03-2011, 04:39 PM
they dont have enough to get him, i think.

Baller1
02-03-2011, 04:42 PM
For who? That's the problem.

iggypop123
02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
nuggets: unwilling to talk unless beaubious is in a package.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-03-2011, 04:46 PM
"If someone wanted to offer me a perennial All-Star for a second-round pick, I'm going to say yes.

Keep dreaming Cuban:laugh2:

Chi StateOfMind
02-03-2011, 04:57 PM
just send melo to the knicks--cuban dont give up ur talent for a rental save ur players

BallIsAll
02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
id take roddy and chandler !

ashyzup
02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes! Do it if you can Cuban, send Beaubois, Marion, or whoever they might want not named Dirk or Kidd or Chandler. Give Kidd and Dirk a pretty good chance to win a ring before they retire.

godolphins
02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
just send melo to the knicks--cuban dont give up ur talent for a rental save ur players

No :)

abe_froman
02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
if any would be willing to spend on just a rental,it'd be cuban.good move for both

jimbobjarree
02-03-2011, 05:06 PM
thats like the nuggets trading a playoff spot for a late lotto pick. Why would they do that.

Bob_at_york
02-03-2011, 05:08 PM
What about sending Beaubois, Butler and their 1st? Denver would get cap savings, a young player, a pick and if they decide to, they can re-sign Butler in the offseason.

godolphins
02-03-2011, 05:10 PM
What about sending Beaubois, Butler and their 1st? Denver would get cap savings, a young player, a pick and if they decide to, they can re-sign Butler in the offseason.

I think Bultler is out for the season that would be like dead weight

DoJoTheSlasher
02-03-2011, 05:18 PM
id take roddy and chandler !

LMAO that would be a terrible trade for us. Chandler is more valuable than Carmelo will ever be to us and he is a top 5 defensive player in the NBA. Roddy is also a stud who will be putting up 20 ppg in a few years.

Tony_Starks
02-03-2011, 05:23 PM
I starting to think that Denver is going to go through all this drama and not even move him. There's plenty of deals out there to be had but then they keep saying "they want to see the results of this road trip" or "they want to see how this next home stand works out"..... whats the point? They're not beating the Spurs or Lakers regardless?

Get the drama over with already!

JayTee1981
02-03-2011, 05:26 PM
DO IT MARK PULL THAT TRIGGER

send the farm and back the money truck up

;)

Tdotraptors
02-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I think Bultler is out for the season that would be like dead weight

But if the nuggets are trading their best player their going into tank mode for the season. butler being out for the season would help that cause

colinskik
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
But if the nuggets are trading their best player their going into tank mode for the season. butler being out for the season would help that cause
I don't agree with this at all.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
LMAO that would be a terrible trade for us. Chandler is more valuable than Carmelo will ever be to us and he is a top 5 defensive player in the NBA. Roddy is also a stud who will be putting up 20 ppg in a few years.

Definition of a homer

AlexTmz2
02-03-2011, 05:38 PM
definition of a homer

:d

Avenged
02-03-2011, 05:49 PM
For a 2nd round pick, who wouldn't?

BIG DREW
02-03-2011, 06:10 PM
roddy,caron and barea or stevenson and 2 1st for melo. what do yall think ?

dturpin598
02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Definition of a homer

Agreed and I'm a Mavs fan. Roddy is never going to have a chance to live up to Mavs fan's expectations.

blahblahyoutoo
02-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Definition of a homer

not at all.
some people value players that bring defense and rebounds, and maintaining team chemistry over big names and flashy players.

blahblahyoutoo
02-03-2011, 06:26 PM
why would the rockets be interested? they aren't in contention for anything this year.

Tony_Starks
02-03-2011, 06:35 PM
why would the rockets be interested? they aren't in contention for anything this year.

desperately want a franchise player to replace Yao. Its been said they're even willing to rent and try to convince him to stay.

GodsSon
02-03-2011, 06:35 PM

You have to give to get.

The Mavs are in win-now mode considering Kidd and Dirk won't be around too much longer. Who do you think increases your chances of winning this year? Carmelo or Roddy?

I thought so.

nwilder
02-03-2011, 06:37 PM
with Cuban anything is possible. He looked dumb every now and then, so I won't be surprised.

Bruno
02-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Dirk and Melo w/ Kidd would be nasty.

Yunqn
02-03-2011, 07:10 PM
nuggets: unwilling to talk unless is in a package.

look roddy maybe a good player..

but you got to be f***ing kidding me if you think keeping beaubious makes you better than getting melo

the mavs can even tell melo that they can go after deron later in free agency and clear cap for him..

deron,melo,dirk,tyson?

and you say no because of a guy who isnt going to be any better than ben gordon?

like i said.. if your the mavs and can get melo without giving up dirk,kidd,terry and tyson.. YOU DO IT.. theres no way the mavs should be held back..

2-3 picks,roddy,caron,dominque,& cash.. like i said.. if they say yes.. YOU go and walk to denver..

sf-fanatic
02-03-2011, 07:17 PM
from reading the posts above, i dont think most people know that caron butler is an expiring contract...as a fan of neither team butler/roddy/1st rounder for melo sounds fair...

Yunqn
02-03-2011, 07:18 PM
desperately want a franchise player to replace Yao. Its been said they're even willing to rent and try to convince him to stay.

well idk how.. unless they can find the most sexiest women in the world and have them convince melo to have sex with them & then stay..

but that is ^ aka unlikely..

houston would be the poster for why you dont trade without an agreement..he would leave them for new york in a heartbeat..

dallas should be in it.. dirk nowitzki & jason kidd arent sipping on the fountain of youth.. they should seriously pursue melo at any cost and give dirk finally a chance to compete with a player whos just as talented as he is..

kblo247
02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
For a 2nd round pick, who wouldn't?

For ****s sake, Mitch should toss them all 3 or 4 that LA has this year :cool:

tdunk21
02-03-2011, 07:55 PM

:laugh2:

mav fans and roddy hype

Avenged
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM
For ****s sake, Mitch should toss them all 3 or 4 that LA has this year :cool:

He could probably pull off something amazing with that. :laugh2:

icej
02-03-2011, 08:46 PM
"If someone wanted to offer me a perennial All-Star for a second-round pick, I'm going to say yes. - Cuban

If this happens I would bet my money on MAVS to win the ring, with their current line-up.

Gotta give it to Cuban, a lot of players would love to play for an owner that likes to spend.

DoJoTheSlasher
02-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Definition of a homer

Considering that Chandler has arguably been the best defensive player this season and is a top notch center and Roddy is going to be a very good player, I don't know how that is homerism.

DoJoTheSlasher
02-03-2011, 10:03 PM
:laugh2:

mav fans and roddy hype

Dirk will be on the decline, Terry and Marion will be gone, Butler won't be here. Who else is going to score?

DoJoTheSlasher
02-03-2011, 10:05 PM
You have to give to get.

The Mavs are in win-now mode considering Kidd and Dirk won't be around too much longer. Who do you think increases your chances of winning this year? Carmelo or Roddy?

I thought so.

If we give up Chandler and Roddy, we are left with Brendan Freakin Haywood starting and Carmelo (who is inferior to Dirk) hogging the ball.

LA_Raiders
02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
he will be traded to NY for trash players...

goose15
02-03-2011, 10:11 PM
a 2nd round pick for Melo :laugh::facepalm::laugh:

has Cuban lost his mind??

BallIsAll
02-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Dirk will be on the decline, Terry and Marion will be gone, Butler won't be here. Who else is going to score?

Roddy hasnt proven anything and he just hurt his shooting hand.. if you ever played basketball you would know how hard it is to come back from a hand/wrist injury...

hes a nice player but if i can win a ship id give him up for melo any day. there would be a hell of a lot less double teams on dirk.

DwayneMVPwade
02-04-2011, 12:24 AM
nuggets: unwilling to talk unless beaubious is in a package.

i wouldnt do it even if Beaubois is in the deal.

JordansBulls
02-04-2011, 12:55 AM

Want a franchise player.

Crackadalic
02-04-2011, 01:10 AM
I doubt Melo would allow this. He rather get trading to the nets then lose millions of dollars as a rental

koLohe2133
02-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Roddy, butler, Haywood and picks for melo and nene....

Butler is expiring so the nuggets save $ there and melo and nene are out end of season so they don't lose em for nothing....

Dallas still loses to Boston in championship

BallIsAll
02-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Roddy, butler, Haywood and picks for melo and nene....

Butler is expiring so the nuggets save $ there and melo and nene are out end of season so they don't lose em for nothing....

Dallas still loses to Boston in championship

who said nenes leaving? i rather have carmelo as an expiring contract than get that deal.

Ebbs
02-04-2011, 01:46 AM
^ If that happens

Kidd vs. Rondo
Beaubois vs. Allen
Melo vs. Pierce
Dirk vs. KG
Chandler vs. Perk

would be a good series.

hizpcstr
02-04-2011, 01:47 AM
In soccer teams "rent" players all the time. The proper term for this is a loan. Loan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loan_%28sports%29). I will use the Mavs and Carmelo Anthony as an example. Denver receives $2 million ( just an example) from the Mavs, and Loan Carmelo Anthony to the Mavs. Carmelo Anthony is now a Maverick until the end of the 2010-2011 Season. Loans are usually 6 months to a year.

jeter 2
02-04-2011, 01:58 AM
In soccer teams "rent" players all the time. The proper term for this is a loan. Loan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loan_%28sports%29). I will use the Mavs and Carmelo Anthony as an example. Denver receives $2 million ( just an example) from the Mavs, and Loan Carmelo Anthony to the Mavs. Carmelo Anthony is now a Maverick until the end of the 2010-2011 Season. Loans are usually 6 months to a year.

A transfer deal instead of a loan would be nice for Carmelo. It would be a much easier transaction and less rumor involved.

Mudvayne91
02-04-2011, 02:00 AM
None of it matters, he won't be going to Dallas via trade.

thedfactor
02-04-2011, 02:29 AM
I don't think Dallas could get Melo in a straight up deal with Denver. It's more likely a third team would be involved to get more going to Denver along w/ Dallas' likely starting package of Roddy, Butler, Stevenson, & 2 firsts.

koLohe2133
02-04-2011, 03:19 AM
who said nenes leaving? i rather have carmelo as an expiring contract than get that deal.

Nene just listed three teams he wants to Play for. He is exPiring and they haven't talked to him about extension

BallIsAll
02-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Nene just listed three teams he wants to Play for. He is exPiring and they haven't talked to him about extension

im pretty sure he came out and said he wants to retire in denver in an interview.

koLohe2133
02-04-2011, 04:14 AM
They all say that....

See james, lebron

yankkiller
02-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Rodrigue Beaubois
Shawn Marion
DeShawn Stevenson
1st rd pick in 2011
2nd rd pick in 2012
4th rd pick in 2014
for
melo
Kenyon Martin

2011 starting 5 with backups
PG Kidd Barea
SG Stojakovic Terry
SF Melo Cardinal
PF Dirk K-Mart
C Chandler Haywood

then in the offseason dump haywood, k-mart Terry and cardinal off to make room to lock up melo long term but keep butler

2012 starting 5 with backups
PG PG Kidd Barea
SG Butler Peja
SF Melo Peja
PF Dirk
C Chandler Mahinmi

MacFitz92
02-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Roddy ain't goin nowhere for a rental.

MacFitz92
02-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Rodrigue Beaubois
Shawn Marion
DeShawn Stevenson
1st rd pick in 2011
2nd rd pick in 2012
4th rd pick in 2014
for
melo
Kenyon Martin

2011 starting 5 with backups
PG Kidd Barea
SG Stojakovic Terry
SF Melo Cardinal
PF Dirk K-Mart
C Chandler Haywood

then in the offseason dump haywood, k-mart Terry and cardinal off to make room to lock up melo long term but keep butler

2012 starting 5 with backups
PG PG Kidd Barea
SG Butler Peja
SF Melo Peja
PF Dirk
C Chandler Mahinmi

Nice.

koLohe2133
02-04-2011, 05:55 AM
They all say that....

See james, lebron

JordansBulls
02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
They all say that....

See james, lebron

Why you post this twice?

blahblahyoutoo
02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Want a franchise player.

great, so they have a "franchise" player for 3 months. he's not going to re-sign. then what?

JordansBulls
02-04-2011, 06:04 PM
great, so they have a "franchise" player for 3 months. he's not going to re-sign. then what?

He'd resign with Houston I would think.

Mishmin
02-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Ain't gonna happen. Just get him to the knicks already.

JordansBulls
02-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Ain't gonna happen. Just get him to the knicks already.

As a free agent makes the most sense.

heathonater
02-04-2011, 11:45 PM
im not sure if dallas has the pieces to pull this trade off, but if they can get melo they should do it. the team they have now will most likely not win the title this year and their window for an nba title is closing fast. if they get melo, they would have a much better chance of winning it all. i would even do the trade if melo is a rental only. at this point, dallas has to go all in since kidd is near the end of his career, and dirk isnt getting younger.

MFFL==FML
02-05-2011, 12:32 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=47g5lns

A man can dream right? :)

PG: Kidd - Barea
SG: Jackson - Terry
SF: Anthony - Stojakovic
PF: Nowitzki - Marion
C : Chandler - Mahinmi

Screw the future! :D

Young2Kinsler
02-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Any Mavs fan who thinks keeping Roddy is worth more than adding Carmelo is kidding themselves. The kid has upside, but the window to win a title with Dirk here is closing. You give him Melo to play with, and I guarantee a trip to the finals.

I am seriously never one to brag on my teams alot, but that is the kind of move this team has needed for 5 years. There is no future on this team after Dirk, it's going to be a rebuild, so go all out now, and see how they fall.

A package of Roddy, Butler, and another expiring like Stevenson, and 2 1st would definately have Denver listening, especially if we take back a bad contract like Harrington. Not saying anything will get done, but the pieces are there.

Young2Kinsler
02-05-2011, 12:59 AM

Please stop. Go back to the Mavs forum, you are making yourself look stupid. Yes Chandler has been great for us, and we would like to hang onto him, but he does not make us better than Melo would. He is a free agent at the end of the year, and hasn't really said much about sticking around in Dallas. So roll the dice if you must to get Melo.

As for Roddy, I love him as much as the next Mavs fan, but the guy has proven little, and seems hard pressed to stay healthy and find a role he can play 30 minutes in.

LongWayFromHome
02-05-2011, 01:45 AM

screw the future? this trade is basically Roddy for Jackson and Anthony. That would be the biggest steal of all time, even if you give up every 1st rounder possible. Mavs are SERIOUS contenders fore 3 years keeping that nucleus together.

1 HUGE problem. That deal doesn't help the Nugs AT ALL... NJ was offering waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more than that.

IMO - DEN is going to trade Anthony to the best deal for them but not until THE DEADLINE. That way they can win as many as possible b4 the deal putting them in better position for the playoffs because of the $$$$ you get for the playoffs.

drobe86
02-05-2011, 01:48 AM
We don't need Melo or a trade. Lets sink or swim with what we have... We have a solid team right now, and I like our chances going forward....

sargon21
02-05-2011, 02:21 AM
Damn, make it happen Dallas, love that move for your team. Also, Dallas is ****in awesome, I love it, and Melo should be thrilled if he gets to play there.

JordansBulls
02-05-2011, 02:46 PM

It's win now with Dirk and his age, and Kidd and his age.

John Walls Era
02-05-2011, 02:59 PM
TBH it does give them a great chance, but I just can't see them taking the risk.

I also doubt they would win it all, tough to acquire a superstar halfway through the season and expect to win.

JordansBulls
02-06-2011, 08:15 PM
What could the Mavs give up here?

JasonJohnHorn
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Carmelo? In Dallas? I'm not sure they'd be able to get him to stay, but if they won it all, it would be hard for him to leave.

I personally think Dallas should be calling up Phoenix and seeing if they can't pry away Nash, but if they could pick up Melo for a couple of players and draft picks (Butler/Marion 2 first rounders, or maybe Terry/Butler or Terry/Marion) then I'd be happy with that if I was Denver. The way it looks now the most they are going to get is Brewer, Chandler and maybe a pair of first rounders.

JordansBulls
02-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Carmelo? In Dallas? I'm not sure they'd be able to get him to stay, but if they won it all, it would be hard for him to leave.

I personally think Dallas should be calling up Phoenix and seeing if they can't pry away Nash, but if they could pick up Melo for a couple of players and draft picks (Butler/Marion 2 first rounders, or maybe Terry/Butler or Terry/Marion) then I'd be happy with that if I was Denver. The way it looks now the most they are going to get is Brewer, Chandler and maybe a pair of first rounders.

Mavs are looking for him only for this year. They just want a title.

Kakaroach
02-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Can the Mavs put up a better package than the Knick one though? I'm sure they won't trade Roddy. It would be something like JJ Barea + Butler's expiring + a first. I think Chandler + Randolph + a first is better.

John Walls Era
02-07-2011, 07:20 PM
So why isn't it happening?

NYpost is actually worst than Bleacher. NYtimes is the best though.

AddiX
02-07-2011, 07:30 PM
This thread needs to be closed, all Cuban said is he could give up a 2nd rounder he would for a guy like Melo. Most teams would, no news here. When I see someone legitimately offering assets for Melo, than that would be a "rental."