PDA

View Full Version : Knicks Fined $200K for Illegal Workouts

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Can't believe this is all the NBA did. I thought they would at least take away draft picks or something

The NBA gave the Knicks a very light slap on the wrist for illegal workcouts one of their scouts ran during the Isiah Thomas Regime. From the NY Times: “The N.B.A. has fined the Knicks $200,000 and one of their scouts $20,000 after concluding that the scout, Rodney Heard, conducted workouts of college prospects that violated league rules, according to two people made aware of the league’s actions. The Knicks were notified of the punishment Wednesday. The fines are expected to be announced later Thursday afternoon. The punishments stem from workouts conducted by Heard in Atlanta in May 2007 and May 2010. Heard, who has been with the club since 2006, was promoted to East Coast scouting director in 2008. The punishment is generally in line with previous cases that involved violations of draft workout rules, although some team executives had expected the Knicks to be forced to forfeit future draft picks as part of any punishment. The Knicks hold the option of imposing further discipline on Heard, who joined the organization when Isiah Thomas was the team president.”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/02/knicks-fined-200k-for-illegal-workouts/

cambovenzi
02-03-2011, 04:30 PM
"he punishment is generally in line with previous cases that involved violations of draft workout rules.."

Also does anyone know what the violations were specifically?
I dont think a workout should greatly hinder the future of a franchise(loss of draft picks), assuming nothing god awful happened.

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
"he punishment is generally in line with previous cases that involved violations of draft workout rules.."

Also does anyone know what the violations were specifically?
I dont think a workout should greatly hinder the future of a franchise(loss of draft picks), assuming nothing god awful happened.

Adrian Wojo from Yahoo broke the news and explained it all. From what I remember they illegally worked out players way before they were suppose to and lied about it and kareem rush was injured and rush lied and said he didnt work out for the knicks and so on and so on. there was more to it, but I dont remember the exact specifics. I gotta google his article and re-read it again.

Flash3
02-03-2011, 04:36 PM
they should give back fields.....

magichatnumber9
02-03-2011, 04:43 PM
If they had won any championships they would be ripped to shreds. A bunch of ****ing cheaters.

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 04:46 PM
If they had won any championships they would be ripped to shreds. A bunch of ****ing cheaters.

I dont think stern wants to hurt the knicks because of the market.

this is a good example of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mN3OGRGybA

Giaps
02-03-2011, 04:50 PM
So penalize a new regime (Walsh) by taking away his draft picks for what the old corrupted regime (Isiah) did. Riiiiight....

$200k is a lot of money.

OG "Dee" LOCc
02-03-2011, 04:56 PM
lol @ people thinking stern helps us out

where was he the past decade?

Da Knicks
02-03-2011, 04:56 PM
The knicks suffered enough because of Thomas, they should of charged him. Better yet they should of banned Thomas from ever coming close to the knicks ever again...

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 04:58 PM
So penalize a new regime (Walsh) by taking away his draft picks for what the old corrupted regime (Isiah) did. Riiiiight....

$200k is a lot of money.

200k is nothing for dolan and they didnt even fire the scout who worked these guys out. the punishment was a joke. at least have the knicks have nothing to do with thomas again or something if your gonna let them off this easy and fire that scout as well.

Flash3
02-03-2011, 05:00 PM

$200k is a lot of money.

amare wipes his *** with that.

Weezy
02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
200k is nothing for dolan and they didnt even fire the scout who worked these guys out. the punishment was a joke. at least have the knicks have nothing to do with thomas again or something if your gonna let them off this easy and fire that scout as well.

Sounds like a deal.
... yet Dolan and Isiah are going to be engaged soon, sorry but it was a valid attempt.

Giraffes Rule
02-03-2011, 05:05 PM
The knicks suffered enough because of Thomas, they should of charged him. Better yet they should of banned Thomas from ever coming close to the knicks ever again...

Except the Knicks did this in 2010 as well, so it's not just Isiah Thomas.

dtmagnet
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Should have cost them a draft pick, cash fine is useless.

Bornknick73
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM

He was watching his ratings take a dive because of a fool named Dolan.

David Stern is protecting us from him. Made him get rid of Zeke and hire Walsh and now slaps us on the wrist. Stern needs the Knicks. Love em or hate em a good Knicks team is good for the League.

Gators123
02-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Agree.

CostanzaNumba0
02-03-2011, 05:26 PM
he was watching his ratings take a dive because of a fool named dolan.

David stern is protecting us from him. Made him get rid of zeke and hire walsh and now slaps us on the wrist. Stern needs the knicks. Love em or hate em a good knicks team is good for the league.

qft

The Dream
02-03-2011, 05:31 PM

again, a bulls fan hating on ny

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM

it wasn't stern fault the knicks signed bad free agents and didn't know how to draft players.

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 05:35 PM
again, a bulls fan hating on ny

No, I'm jealous, I wish Stern would bend envelopes for us.

Weezy
02-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Hasnt he done that for you guys when you got Rose? :D

arkanian215
02-03-2011, 05:48 PM

$200k is a lot of money.

The company gets the punishment, not the agent in this case. Otherwise, teams would just hire someone off the street to handle illegal stuff and fire them immediately after they've obtained their objective.

arkanian215
02-03-2011, 05:51 PM

It's consistent with the rest of history. I remember the Woj article that brought it up a couple of months back. All previous infractions cost teams cash. I don't expect them to fine more just because the Knicks are a big market / rich owner team. I do think that this has to be addressed in the future because if I had the funds, I would do that all the time.

roshan3ai
02-03-2011, 06:01 PM
So a few teams have done this before, and the Knicks should be penalized more for it? That's BS. It's consistent with past offenders. It's really not that big of a deal.

Stern isn't "bending" **** for us. Get over it

Mudvayne91
02-03-2011, 06:10 PM

Agreed.

Meatmypet
02-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Except the Knicks did this in 2010 as well, so it's not just Isiah Thomas.

Where'd you get that from? Article states it was done when Isiah was at the helm, not Walsh.

NYYCowboys
02-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Love the Heat fans who say the punishment wasn't enough. We had a few illegal workouts, and the Heat tampered with 2 superstars while they were still on their former teams....

arkanian215
02-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Love the Heat fans who say the punishment wasn't enough. We had a few illegal workouts, and the Heat tampered with 2 superstars while they were still on their former teams....

how?

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Hasnt he done that for you guys when you got Rose? :D

If he did, we will never know cause they dont show us like they use too

NIUHuskies
02-03-2011, 06:43 PM
It's consistent with the rest of history. I remember the Woj article that brought it up a couple of months back. All previous infractions cost teams cash. I don't expect them to fine more just because the Knicks are a big market / rich owner team. I do think that this has to be addressed in the future because if I had the funds, I would do that all the time.

The best way to address it is to say from here on out any teams caught doing this will forfeit draft picks. 200k means nothing when teams are deciding which guy to draft and pay millions. Especially teams in the lottery.

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-03-2011, 06:46 PM
how?

Nah Riley is a genius. He took on no contracts past 2010 while his superstar in his prime was holding down a team literally by himself. He had no way of knowing that Wade would recruit 2 of his friends from the Olympics and had no input on the situation. He basically stood pat for 2 years without knowing anything. I guess when the super 3 decided to only take 3 year deals together it was a big coincidence.

Im not even mad at the situation. But if you really think no foul play was involved in this then.... I dont know what to tell you. Riley IMO definitely had some inside info because it was discussed during the Olympics.

Flash3
02-03-2011, 06:47 PM

33 wins and get hometown kid rose *snif* smells fishy

knicksfan42
02-03-2011, 06:48 PM

^ This

Flash3
02-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Nah Riley is a genius. He took on no contracts past 2010 while his superstar in his prime was holding down a team literally by himself. He had no way of knowing that Wade would recruit 2 of his friends from the Olympics and had no input on the situation. He basically stood pat for 2 years without knowing anything. I guess when the super 3 decided to only take 3 year deals together it was a big coincidence.

Im not even mad at the situation. But if you really think no foul play was involved in this then.... I dont know what to tell you. Riley IMO definitely had some inside info because it was discussed during the Olympics.

idk cause even planning it would be pretty difficult.

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 06:51 PM

hey im not saying he didnt try and help us, but we wont know, but then again how about the spurs when they won the lottery or the magic when they won it twice in a row? the reason I bring up him helping the knicks out is because we all know he did, if you watch the video its funny how the knicks envelope is bent. you can say its a coincidence all you want, but thats a pretty big coincidence then.

JerseysFinest
02-03-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't understand why people are hating on NY if this was beyond their control. Isaiah oversaw this, not Walsh. It's not like he had anything to do with it

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 06:54 PM

Yes, but all those teams did it one time with one player, the knicks were holding clinics with a bunch of players and did it more then one time. even adrian wojo said in that article he would think there would be draft picks taken away because of how many times it happen it happen with all the players it involved and it was a big operation.

arkanian215
02-03-2011, 06:55 PM

And the Knicks and Nets gutted their rosters as well over the past three years. Anyone can make conspiracy theories. What if the Nets got LeBron and Wade? What would your conspiracy theory be then? All those teams made moves so they could get in a position to acquire those players. Miami lucked out.

Where would the foul play occur on Wade's part? He can talk to his friends all he wants.

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
I don't understand why people are hating on NY if this was beyond their control. Isaiah oversaw this, not Walsh. It's not like he had anything to do with it

no one is blaming new york for the out come of the fine obviously cause it was stern who assessed it. the knicks did break the rules badly and lied about it, but most people are just attacking stern.

NIUHuskies
02-03-2011, 07:00 PM
idk cause even planning it would be pretty difficult.

(At Olympics)

DWade: Hey Bron...I was thinking if we both sign a 3 year deal we will become free agents together and we can pick and choose were we can ball together. A year out we can look to see who's team is in the best position to bring in the other guy.

Bron: That's a pretty good idea. What you think World Wide Wes.

WWW: I'm rich!

Bosh: Yeah that's a great idea!

DWade/Bron: (Groan)

(2009)

DWade: Hey Riley... Bron and I have been planning on playing together since the Olympics. Clear some space son!

Riley: I'm rich!

Bosh: Clear some space for me too!

DWade/Riley: (Groan)

Flash3
02-03-2011, 07:06 PM
(At Olympics)

DWade: Hey Bron...I was thinking if we both sign a 3 year deal we will become free agents together and we can pick and choose were we can ball together. A year out we can look to see who's team is in the best position to bring in the other guy.

(2009)

DWade: Hey Riley... Bron and I have been planning on playing together since the Olympics. Clear some space son!

www wanted them to sign in chicago/new york/new j

and bosh never seemed like he was "friends" with them.

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 07:08 PM
www wanted them to sign in chicago/new york/new j

and bosh never seemed like he was "friends" with them.

actually www wanted them in chicago, I dont remember www ever saying he wanted them in new york or NJ

Savage Sunday
02-03-2011, 07:14 PM
D Roses Bulls sounds like an insecure Bulls fans worried about once the Knicks get Carmelo.

Take away draft picks? Come on now. lmfaooooooooo

avrpatsfan
02-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Why are the Knicks conducting workouts? They don't have any good draft picks until like 2013.

Flash3
02-03-2011, 07:23 PM
actually www wanted them in chicago, I dont remember www ever saying he wanted them in new york or NJ

all i know is he didn't want them in miami so that ***** can kiss my *** :D

NYsFinest
02-03-2011, 07:27 PM
hey im not saying he didnt try and help us, but we wont know, but then again how about the spurs when they won the lottery or the magic when they won it twice in a row? the reason I bring up him helping the knicks out is because we all know he did, if you watch the video its funny how the knicks envelope is bent. you can say its a coincidence all you want, but thats a pretty big coincidence then.

That's not really proof, whats to say several envelopes weren't bent because they were rattling around in a plastic ball? Plus the bend was on the other side of where he felt out the envelope. Not saying it definitely wasn't fixed... but its far from conclusive evidence. Fact is the NBA is corrupt because its a business and the likelihood that the 1985 draft was fixed is about the same as when Rose and Lebron went home. Its not only about keeping big markets happy, Stern needs small market teams to get stars and have feel good stories to survive. If anything the success of small market teams is more important because a team like the Knicks will never be in danger of losing money.

D Roses Bulls
02-03-2011, 07:29 PM
D Roses Bulls sounds like an insecure Bulls fans worried about once the Knicks get Carmelo.

Take away draft picks? Come on now. lmfaooooooooo

oh the knicks can have melo. im not worried about melo, lol especially when they dont play defense. give us a decent shooting guard and i'll be fine and let me guess..... your a Knicks fan? :eyebrow:

NYsFinest
02-03-2011, 07:32 PM
As for small illegal things like workouts, you really think the Knicks are the only franchise that cuts some corners?? Just like all major college recruit these kids illegally and one or two occasionally gets caught.

knicks4life33
02-03-2011, 07:34 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if more teams are doing this

Evolution23
02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
The Bulls should be fined 200k for drafting the ugliest players in the world. Noah and Rose.

eXpLiiCt
02-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I blame Monta Ellis.

blastmasta26
02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
(At Olympics)

(2009)

:laugh:

Kashmir13579
02-03-2011, 09:35 PM

LOL. "The Curse of Patrick Ewing"

but in all seriousness, isn't this old news? i mean the fine isn't old news but we already knew this happened during a different regime. it would be crazy to penalize Walsh in regards to draft picks.

Kashmir13579
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM

lol it really does, it really does. the NBA is fishy (period)
still love it though.

Kashmir13579
02-03-2011, 09:41 PM
it wasn't stern fault the knicks signed bad free agents and didn't know how to draft players.

LMAO. i try to be nice to you D rose but c'mon man. the Bulls have been SHITE for a long time now as well. you guys are just now coming out of it thanks to a no.1 draft pick.
and i'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Knicks have drafted better players than the bulls in the last 7-8 years.

Weezy
02-03-2011, 09:50 PM
If he did, we will never know cause they dont show us like they use too

Its interesting they don't do that anymore... you wanna bet Cavs get it this year? :eyebrow:

arkanian215
02-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Its interesting they don't do that anymore... you wanna bet Cavs get it this year? :eyebrow:

The way they're doing it now is anti climatic. They decide who gets the first pick and then the rest. There's little reason to watch the rest of the show if we already know the top 5 or so.

LA_Raiders
02-03-2011, 10:13 PM
A 1stor 2nd draft pick should have been fare... $200K is nothing for them...

arkanian215
02-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Yes, but all those teams did it one time with one player, the knicks were holding clinics with a bunch of players and did it more then one time. even adrian wojo said in that article he would think there would be draft picks taken away because of how many times it happen it happen with all the players it involved and it was a big operation.

Depends on what you consider one time. There have been times where multiple players were scouted/contacted.

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
And the Knicks and Nets gutted their rosters as well over the past three years. Anyone can make conspiracy theories. What if the Nets got LeBron and Wade? What would your conspiracy theory be then? All those teams made moves so they could get in a position to acquire those players. Miami lucked out.

Where would the foul play occur on Wade's part? He can talk to his friends all he wants.

The foul play would be to tell Riley what's going on. If u think it was lucky then ok bro.:confused: